Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,132 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:53 AM

My NYSC Experience In Kano State - NYSC (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / My NYSC Experience In Kano State (128235 Views)

"My NYSC Camp Experience" – Owolabi Ajasa / Reasons Why You Should Serve In Kano State - Mrphysics / My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by saintkash(m): 10:26pm On Jun 16, 2016
mrphysics:

Oga do you stay in Kano?? I doubt or perhaps you stay in Sabongari

oh yea..born n brought up in kano. ..currently working in kano. .. so I know wat I am saying. ...
Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by Jung(m): 10:27pm On Jun 16, 2016
saintkash:
so many lies in ur story mr physics....... have u been to badawa, brigade, dakata etc? u know little about kano but yet u paint a picture of u know so much. .... if u don't mind I can hook up with you n take u around to clear ur doubt. ....

Na wah oh... he who does not son should cast the first stone. baba wey no dey lie.. clap for yourself. who you Epp? you can't contribute but u can rebuke.. baba op don't follow this guy anywhere.. blast hater oshi

4 Likes

Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by Nobody: 10:29pm On Jun 16, 2016
mrphysics:

Can we go private sir How do I contact you. thanks
send me a pm through NL
Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by saintkash(m): 10:30pm On Jun 16, 2016
mrphysics:

Oga do you stay in Kano?? I doubt or perhaps you stay in Sabongari

oh yea..born n brought up in kano. ..currently working in kano. .. so I know wat I am saying. ...

I stay at badawa layout and u should know by if u really know kano dat badawa host nothing less than 100 churches and even places of alcohol if u care.... with abt 50% of its residents non indigene

1 Like

Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by mrphysics(m): 10:30pm On Jun 16, 2016
gwales:
note* smoking is not prohibited in kano and nobody would Harass u for smoking

Oga that's your theory, it's not practical, try it outside sabongari and you will be stoned to death.
Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by Zico5(m): 10:31pm On Jun 16, 2016
Ok
Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by mrphysics(m): 10:32pm On Jun 16, 2016
saintkash:

Come to gwale local government and smoke or Nasarawa etc. How is life. Any place of secondary Assignment for me? since you know Kano more than I do.
Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by prettyPriscy(f): 10:33pm On Jun 16, 2016
You really tried MrPhysics. Continue pls smiley cheesy cheesy
Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by mrphysics(m): 10:35pm On Jun 16, 2016
saintkash:

I stay at badawa layout and u should know by if u really know kano dat badawa host nothing less than 100 churches and even places of alcohol if u care.... with abt 50% of its residents non indigene
is it close or along industrial layout, zoo road right? the place where my female colleague was stoned as she way on her way to work last week.
Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by gwales: 10:37pm On Jun 16, 2016
mrphysics:

Oga that's your theory, it's not practical, try it outside sabongari and you will be stoned to death.
lol, where did u get these news please? I think you still need more days to explore kano not hearsay coming out from people. FYI kano state is the drug capital of the north. I would love if you u share any news from a source where anybody was stoned because of smoking

10 Likes

Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by tunjilana: 10:38pm On Jun 16, 2016
Even Badawa layout and the Ghetto, then some part of Dakata-Kawaji....In short places where you have a high percentage of settlers

EColeJnr:
This is a misconception.

I live in Kano for seven years now... I can boldly tell you that there are other free areas in Kano such as Nassarawa GRA,Union Estates.. Katsina Road Nomansland etc ...

Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by saintkash(m): 10:40pm On Jun 16, 2016
mrphysics:

Come to gwale local government and smoke or Nasarawa etc. How is life. Any place of secondary Assignment for me? since you know Kano more than I do.

secondary assignment most probably will be a secondary school but as u knw schools in kano would be writing exams in two weeks time. ..unless you can sale as a rep but it's full day job. Nassarawa LGA is very big my frnd....so don't generalized Nassarawa oo

1 Like

Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by mrphysics(m): 10:42pm On Jun 16, 2016
In Kano state, If you want to be free, you ought to be Muslim. If you are not then you should perhaps be very careful on how you lead your life. Just after the incident about the blasphemy in Kano state last month or early this month, two Christian students of Federal college of education Kano were beating to coma and rushed to the hospital.

They didn't know that the driver of the keke understands English, they thought he is like others, so they were discussing about the incident. The driver was wearing everything they say. At a point on their way, he stopped and spoke in Hausa, immediately other Muslim faithfuls joined him and they beat those girls to coma.

Christianity here in Kano is for the real Christians. Especially for those that stay outside fagge local government where sabongari is located.

4 Likes

Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by Chommieblaq(f): 10:43pm On Jun 16, 2016
Chriswazo:

Are you saying that Kano is more developed in terms of social amenities, development and security than Kano?
Hmmmmm, i don't know but all my northern friends seem not to agree with you on this o. They said Kano isn't organize like Kadunna, the only good thing about Kano is just business. From what I've gathered, i am imaging Kano to be like Aba and Kadunna to resemble Enugu, just my opinion o.

Kaduna beat Kano hands down, yes kaduna is like Enugu, while Kano is like onitsha.

Both as home to me, buh I love kaduna more, although Kano has more business opportunities n in flow of money!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by mrphysics(m): 10:44pm On Jun 16, 2016
saintkash:

secondary assignment most probably will be a secondary school but as u knw schools in kano would be writing exams in two weeks time. ..unless you can sale as a rep but it's full day job. Nassarawa LGA is very big my frnd....so don't generalized Nassarawa oo
What's the pay sir?
Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by guiddoti: 10:44pm On Jun 16, 2016
following your daily manna, sorry diary wink hope you compile all these episodes in one CD with no sound track.

God keep you in a strange land

2 Likes

Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by steel5800(m): 10:44pm On Jun 16, 2016
Op has really made a lot of false comments about kano. I've lived in kano all my life and I'm over 30yrs now. I used to smoke and I've never been harassed for that. How would u be harassed for smoking when virtually every kiosk here sells cigarettes. Kano is really fun to be if u know ur way and have cash to spend. I suspect u stay close to FCE bichi cause I think that's the only other college of education apart from the one close to BUK oldsters. There are lots of places to catch fun in kano including but not limited to sabongari, airport road, lodge road, magajin rumfa, badawa, nassarawa etc. There are still places I don't like going to not because I'm sacred of getting hurt, but because of the high population of illiterates there. If only u could me the "correct guys" here, ur stay in kano would be a memorable one. Anyway, Ramadan don put a lot of us on hold now (yes I'm a muslim). I hope I get to meet u someday so I'll spoil u silly. Would have put up my place of work here so we can meet but I can't for obvious reasons.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by EColeJnr: 10:45pm On Jun 16, 2016
tunjilana:
Even Badawa layout and the Ghetto, then some part of Dakata-Kawaji....In short places where you have a high percentage of settlers

Oh... how did I forget?

Exactly bro... you're on point
Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by saintkash(m): 10:46pm On Jun 16, 2016
mrphysics:

is it close or along industrial layout, zoo road right? the place where my female colleague was stoned as she way on her way to work last week.
not anywhere new whr u r saying. .. ask ur ppl about badawa u ll get d gist. .. smoking is not prohibited in kano and no record of anyone been stoned, killed or maimed for smoking cigarettes unless those dat do drugs...

go check the statistics of drugs addict. ..kano is among the top 5 if not d first on d list...so if smoking warrants those strict penalties like u mentioned I doubt if anyone would be left in kano or if that statistics would be correct.

2 Likes

Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by lorRhyMeZ: 10:47pm On Jun 16, 2016
This OP dey jonze sha. methinks a lot of what he narrated here are mere hear says n exaggerations. Kano is a cool town once ur hanging with the right people...I mean after abuja, the second highest concentration of whites in northern nigeria is kano...that's cos we cool like that...

4 Likes

Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by Chommieblaq(f): 10:49pm On Jun 16, 2016
EColeJnr:
This is a misconception.

I live in Kano for seven years now... I can boldly tell you that there are other free areas in Kano such as Nassarawa GRA,Union Estates.. Katsina Road Nomansland etc ...

Nomansland, paniso, yakudima estate, katsina road are more like sabon gari, especially nomansland. Nassarawa GRA is a govt residential area na, govt house dey that side so it ought to be peaceful!
Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by saintkash(m): 10:49pm On Jun 16, 2016
steel5800:
Op has really made a lot of false comments about kano. I've lived in kano all my life and I'm over 30yrs now. I used to smoke and I've never been harassed for that. How would u be harassed for smoking when virtually every kiosk here sells cigarettes. Kano is really fun to be if u know ur way and have cash to spend. I suspect u stay close to FCE bichi cause I think that's the only other college of education apart from the one close to BUK oldsters. There are lots of places to catch fun in kano including but not limited to sabongari, airport road, lodge road, magajin rumfa, badawa, nassarawa etc. There are still places I don't like going to not because I'm sacred of getting hurt, but because of the high population of illiterates there. If only u could me the "correct guys" here, ur stay in kano would be a memorable one. Anyway, Ramadan don put a lot of us on hold now (yes I'm a muslim). I hope I get to meet u someday so I'll spoil u silly. Would have put up my place of work here so we can meet but I can't for obvious reasons.

u r on point bro.....

5 Likes

Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by gwales: 10:50pm On Jun 16, 2016
smokers in kano "This society is not a very friendly place," says Dr Ekpein Appah, a camp co-ordinator at the Kano Reformatory Institute in Kiru, Nigeria. "This place can be like a jungle. You have to fight to survive and that fight for survival is what is driving young people to drugs."
Thirty-seven percent of the population in Kano State, an area in northwest Nigeria, are drug abusers according to official figures from the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA). This is the highest figure nationwide. Nigeria's second largest city also has the highest number of people arrested for illicit drug trafficking or drug use. On September 9, a drug rehabilitation centre was opened in Kano for drug addicts. "The Kano state government realised the idea of arresting drug abusers and sending them to jail doesn't work. They just get stuck in a cycle and come back to harm society when they are released. Why not reform them?” says Appah.
"The drug abusers are brought into the institute for 60 days where they undergo three major components of our training programme: Medicals, which comprise of screening and detoxification, counselling and finally skills acquisition. There is no work, schools and universities are closed or over crowded. These are all children minus a few. Something is wrong somewhere".
Historically, Kano State was a very different place to what is today. Nigeria's ancient kingdom was once the greatest commercial power in West Africa and a bustling trade centre. Its leather and cotton goods were widely transported across the Sahara to North Africa and Europe and for centuries merchants from neighbouring African countries and beyond traded in gold, ivory and salt. In recent times, Kano was the second largest industrial centre in Nigeria and the largest in Northern Nigeria.
Then Boko Haram entered the scene. After the introduction of Sharia in the year 2000 many non-Muslims and traders left the city. Then on January 21, 2012, Kano witnessed one of the worst attacks of terrorism in Nigeria's history: One hundred seventy-eight people were killed in a series of coordinated bomb blasts and shooting sprees. The streets are now quiet in Kano. Nigeria's vast metropolis which once boasted wide paved highways bustling with cars, buses and businessmen is now deserted.
Dusty alleyways filled with kids smoking Indian hemp are common. In the years since the insecurity began, residents have seen a dramatic change to their surroundings. Now children are out of school and unemployment is high.
Drug use and unemployment
"The reason why we are using drugs is to enjoy our lives", says Abdullahi, 28, staring out from behind the chipped blue metal bars of a holding cell in the NDLEA headquarters. The stench of human faeces, sweat and urine fills the air. Dozens of young men, both addicts and sellers, are locked away in a cramped windowless black hole while they await trial. The stone walls that keep them enclosed are covered in Hausa and Arabic graffiti, the prisoners make their mark by scratching their names and prayers with broken rocks.
Abdullahi, like most of the young men here, was a petty drug user. He told Al Jazeera, "I have been smoking cannabis for 6 years. When I took it, I used to feel free. I used to feel happy in my mind. The reason why I started smoking is because I wasn't employed. I had nothing to do. I was just moving around my area with friends. Some of us were selling petroleum to try and make some money but the police would stop us. We are the sons of poor people here. Our parents don't have enough money to pay for us to go to school or take us to market where they will teach us how to trade. There are drug sellers everywhere in the city. So many people are using drugs. Old guys, young boys. They are all using it because there is nothing to do here. So we thought it must be good. That is why we started”.
The NDLEA in Kano state have the most difficult region to monitor in all Nigeria, according to the state commander of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, Amadu Garba, told Al Jazeera, "The problem of drug abuse is a very serious one in Kano. Statistics show nationwide that Kano has a significantly higher number of people arrested than in any other part of the country. The number of people convicted is higher compared to the rest of the country and we have a high rate of seizures made by the command. This attests to the fact we have a serious drug problem in this state."
Prison
Official figures from the NDLEA show they made 700 arrests last year. Most of the arrests were made in relation to cannabis. Three tonnes of marijuana were taken off the streets of Kano this year, down from 4 tonnes last year. But other drugs such as cocaine, heroin and psychotropics are also found in raids. 3000kg of drugs were confiscated during busts and a conviction can land sellers with a 25 year to life prison sentence.
The front of the NDLEA jail [Ashionye Ogene/Al Jazeera
"Some of the greatest challenges we have here are that of personnel and logistics, but we have teamed up with the Nigerian police, the department of state security, customs, immigration and Hisbah to fight drug abuse and trafficking in Kano. So far it has been good because we have been able to dislodge some of the most notorious joints in Kano. The places that used to be hideouts or serious dens are no longer there. They haven't disappeared completely. We're still carrying out raids but we're making it difficult for sellers," Garba said.
The reform centre in Kiru has helped ease the strain on the NDLEA resources according to Garba.
"Users are taken to Kiru for a comprehensive counselling and rehabilitation process that will seriously reduce the problem for the NDLEA. There is a holistic approach to the drug problem more than ever before and I am hopeful this will bring it down”.
Whether the reform centre will have any real impact on the drug problem in Kano is too early to be seen, but it is a start at least and perhaps a model for what should and can be done.
Abdul, 19, who has recently graduated from the reform centre says, "If my parents hadn't brought me here I don't know what would have happened to me. I probably would have lost my mind or been dead. I was taking marijuana, codeine syrup, pills and solvents to calm myself down. I didn't feel like there was a future for me. Many young people are taking drugs here because of unemployment, poverty and the insecurity. We want to forget what is going on around us."
When Abdul was asked what he would do now that he had graduated, he shrugged. "As of now I'm not doing anything. I'm still unemployed".
For residents of Kano, drugs are not the biggest problem they have to contend with. Unemployment, insecurity and poverty remain the root causes of drug abuse. Until these problems can be resolved, for many in Kano the hope of finding a job and a better future remains a distant one.
Source: Al Jazeera

1 Like

Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by mrphysics(m): 10:50pm On Jun 16, 2016
My relationship with my new found Huasa Muslim lady is optimistic and pessimistic per say. My first question during our last meeting was, how do I identify a married Hausa woman. This question she tried answering, she told me that, Ring isn't a sign or marriage or been married in Kano, and it's very true. you can see an unmarried girl wear many rings on her left and right fingers. She told me that married woman in Kano will hardly associate freely with men. She will always be in the company of women.

Secondly, she won't wear any make up. Because the purpose of make up to them is to look attractive and get the attention of their admirers. These two reasons is basically the main or distinguished way to know a married woman and it became obvious to me that it will be hard.

Ofcourse, I have some of my students who are married. So they satisfy her conditions

3 Likes

Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by tunjilana: 10:52pm On Jun 16, 2016
Bro

I served in Kano in 2007, and lived there till 2010...Kano is fun, cheaply fun for that matter

Then we had mingles, lunar and Faan staff club on airport road as drinking points

Also Badawa Ghetto is a proper sin city, I was living in Badawa layout then and the ghetto was a regular after work for me...smiley

We had this karaoke bar somewhere on Hadejia road, shortly after school of Agric, then the myriad of lebanese and chinese bars where alcohol is no big deal, one on bompai road opposite the then central hotel, another on your way to Tarauni

so many pastries and shopping malls, wellcare, jifatu stores...sahad stores...they had more big and accessible shopping malls than any southern city as at then

How about chikenza and other open gardens on that route...

Then round it up with sabon gari(no go abedi ooo) then FCE/Buk chics/lonely corpers(CBN quarters and all the lodges around)

Sincerely....Kano wasnt so bad for me as a young banker then smiley

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by sugarvallly(f): 10:53pm On Jun 16, 2016
OP I dey feel you die abeg dont stop!
Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by Chommieblaq(f): 10:54pm On Jun 16, 2016
tunjilana:

Yes all these places u mention are fun buh people living there are always in fear especially during crisis period, they mostly run to sabon gari for safety n when things are calm, they will return back to their base.
And many of them are moving to sabon gari, nomansland, airport road, paniso area.

Kano is very fun buh only if u are in certain part of the town!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by mrnuur(m): 10:54pm On Jun 16, 2016
Mr OP why not write this after you must have completed your service year, from your narration you're a jjc.

Just be open minded and I tell you you'll enjoy your stay there. I trust my people.

'Kano ta dabo, Ko dame kazo an fika'

Wishing you a fruitful service year

5 Likes

Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by atrix4g(m): 10:56pm On Jun 16, 2016
mrphysics:
one of the guy I met in Kano told me to convert to Islam that Islam is the best religion. he was bold enough to tell me that. I just looked at him and whispered to his hear that no religion is better than each other.

Kano is a very religious place. they mount speakers even in electric pole. El-Rufia can't enforce that his bill in Kano here.

you can't count five houses without seeing a mosque. Here is full of mosque. their ladies don't come outside and you Dere not work while holding a lady here in Kano. if she like let her her your wife, they never born you to try it. inside keke napep, you are not allowed to sit touching a lady though some motorists don't care about whether you touch them or not.

Another thing here in Kano is that the fence of every house is almost the height of the roof of the building. no matter how local the house is, it must have a fence as high as the roof. The Emir of Kanos house has a very high fence such that even if you are in a storey building, you wouldn't see the inside. They do it to protect their wife, they don't want you to see their wife or daughter.

And you don't visit them. if you manage to get any female friend in Kano, you don't visit her, she is the only one to visit you, else, if any Muslim man see you in his house, just know that one of your hand is gone.

[till tomorrow, sai gobe, or sai da safe , it's a Muslim way of saying,"good night, till tomorrow". Allah iy kai'mu, Amin[may God make it to happen]
that is not the way Muslims greet that's Hausa language not even Arabic(illa god in) talk less of Muslims. Muslims greet Asalamualaekum at any tym. probably you don't know your story about the Hausa's is to them and not to Islam.

9 Likes

Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by nitt: 10:57pm On Jun 16, 2016
People smoke n drink in Kano.

People don't go about chopping off arms in Kano.

There is a bubbling social life in kano, if u know where to go.

Op, some of yr statements do not depict reality.

Truth be told

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: My NYSC Experience In Kano State by osytex: 10:57pm On Jun 16, 2016
mrphysics:

Smoking is not illegal, bro. In fact, it's even illegal not to smoke in Kano(lol).
Don't forget, beers were not sold in camp but cigarettes were sold to Corps members.
Dem dey smoke everywhere here o

9 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

55 Things Nysc Members Should Not Leave Home Without! / Missing Corper Stephanie Se-Ember Terungwa Is Dead, Her Vital Parts Removed / NYSC 2014 Batch A Corp Members House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.