Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,531 members, 7,847,207 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 12:45 PM

Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC - Health (846) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC (5433349 Views)

Pregnant After Trying To Conceive (ttc)?pls Come In To Chat/share With Others!! / Weight Loss/gain For Ladies Trying To Conceive / How To Conceive A Baby Boy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (843) (844) (845) (846) (847) (848) (849) ... (3054) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by mumihaja(f): 10:09am On Jun 02, 2015
6 Surprising Facts About the Female Egg Everyone Should Know

Kathryn Cardinal, Herbalist & Fertility Awareness TeacherKathryn Cardinal, Herbalist & Fertility Awareness Teacher

Suprising Facts About a Woman's EggsWe always hear about how interesting men’s sperm are – how quick, agile and strong they are, able to traverse the long journey to the egg, but how much do we know about the other genetic half of a child – the female egg?

In writing this article, I came across some really interesting information about human eggs that I think we should all know! Read on to learn some of the most fascinating facts about human eggs, and the intricate processes of ovulation and conception.
1. Women May Be Making New Eggs Throughout Their Lives

For a long time, biology books have stated that a woman is born with a finite number of eggs – that the production of a woman’s eggs happens entirely in-utero, and ceases before birth. It is usually reported that a woman has 7 million immature eggs when she is in her mother’s womb, and that this number drops to 700,000 by the time she reaches puberty.

But recent research has been turning this theory on its head. Scientists have discovered a new type of stem-cell in the human ovary that may point to the possibility of new eggs continually being formed throughout a woman’s reproductive years. Since men are constantly making new sperm (about 1,500 every second!), it shouldn’t be such a stretch to consider that women may be producing new eggs throughout their lives as well. Further research will be able to confirm this new theory, and continue expanding our view of women’s fertility.
2. A Human Egg is Remarkably Big

You might be surprised to find out that the human egg is one of the biggest cells in a woman’s body. It is about the size of a grain of sand and can actually be seen with the naked eye. To put this into perspective, an egg is about 4 times bigger than a skin cell, 26 times bigger than a red blood cell, and 16 times bigger than a sperm!
3. An Egg Takes a Long Time to Mature

Most eggs are present within the ovary in an immature state from the time of a woman’s menarche. Some eggs will lie dormant for years or even decades before they begin to mature, while others will degenerate and never develop. For eggs to complete their journey to ovulation, they receive a signal to begin their final maturation process about 150 days before they would be released from the ovary. At the beginning of any given cycle, there are generally about 12 eggs that have started to grow, and as ovulation nears, preference is given to one of those eggs, as it receives the final push to maturity and is then released from the ovary.
4. The Egg Has a Short Life After Ovulation

Once the egg has matured and is released from the ovary during ovulation, it goes into the fallopian tube where it lives for 12 to 24 hours. Conception is possible if sperm is already present in the fallopian tubes when the egg is released, or if a woman has sex while the egg is alive, causing sperm to swim up through the uterus and into the fallopian tube. Sperm can reach the egg in as little as 30 minutes. If conception is successful, the newly fertilized egg will travel out of the fallopian tube and implant into the uterus 6 to 10 days later. If the egg is not fertilized, it will simply dissolve and pass out with the menstrual flow.

Though the egg has a lifespan of less than a day, sperm can stay alive inside a woman’s uterus and fallopian tubes anywhere from 1 to 5 days. This means that sex up to 5 days prior to ovulation can actually result in pregnancy! The lifespan of the sperm is dependent on the sperm’s health, but also on the woman’s cervical fluid, which can nourish the sperm during its wait.
5. The Egg is Quite Picky

When discussing fertilization, the egg is often portrayed as a passive player in the drama of conception, waiting patiently for the first sperm to arrive and burst in. But research has shown that the egg has a much bigger role than previously thought, and that she is in fact quite picky! Although we usually think of the sperm doing all the hard work of fertilization, penetrating the docile egg, it is now believed that the egg actually chooses who she lets in or not.

The egg appears to give preference to sperm with intact DNA, producing a compound that softens the outer layer of the egg to allow specific sperm to enter. These studies also suggest that the egg may even actively bind sperm to its surface, thereby not giving the sperm any choice in the matter, trapping the sperm it has chosen. Once a sperm has made its way in, the outer layer of the egg hardens, which prevents entry to any other suitors.

2 Likes

Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by mumihaja(f): 10:10am On Jun 02, 2015
6. Multiple Ovulation is More Common Than You Think

Multiple ovulation is the release of two or more mature eggs during a cycle. This is said to occur in up to 10% of all cycles, which means that the average woman releases two (or more) eggs at least once a year! When 2 eggs are released and both are fertilized, this produces fraternal twins. Identical twins are produced when a single embryo splits into two.

It is important to note that whenever double ovulation occurs, it happens as part of a single ovulatory event – the eggs will be released within a 24 hour period. Once ovulation occurs, there is a big hormonal shift that takes place, progesterone production is revved up, and the release of any future eggs is halted. Therefore, it is not possible for a woman to ovulate on Monday, and ovulate again on Saturday.

4 Likes

Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by sugah: 10:13am On Jun 02, 2015
[quote author=mumihaja post=34341168]
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by Dadsonval(f): 10:44am On Jun 02, 2015
Pls, dear mamas, kindly let me know what this CBC+ESR result means;
Leucocytes Count 5.9 3.5-11.0
Erythrocytes 3.84 4.10-5:10
Haemoglobin 10.9 12.0-15.6
Packed Cell Vol 30:5 35.9-44.6.

FBC Test
PCV 36% (36-50%)
WBC 13,600cm (4-10,000/cm)
DIFF N 60% (55-70%)
L 30% (25-40%)
E 04% (1-6%)
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by miraclebaby: 10:51am On Jun 02, 2015
@mumihaja well done. @all greetings.

1 Like

Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by Ramcie(f): 11:52am On Jun 02, 2015
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by ayaakanoh: 11:55am On Jun 02, 2015
I decree that as Mary got her good news in d 6th month (Luke 1:26-28) Elizabeth's own was in d 6th month (Lk 1 :36). U are d next 2 get ur 6th month good news and miracle IJMN.

28 Likes

Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by mompurity2: 12:10pm On Jun 02, 2015
Mumihaja, interesting and educative post.
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by Yetunspepper: 12:26pm On Jun 02, 2015
Hello Fruitful mamas, am not actually new here jst dat I dnt comment but read posts. Pls I want u to interpret my TVS result for me.
The uterus is normal in size
Anteverted and non gravid
It has homogenus myometrium wit uniform outline
The endometrial cavity was seen wit a thickness of abt 9.3mm
Biggest follicle in left n right ovaries measure abt 7.6mm and 7.4mm
Pouch of douglas appears free.
Pls am awaiting ur comments
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by Freshnessbabies(f): 12:33pm On Jun 02, 2015
Gudmoni mamas.am new here.hope I can get sm help.av ban TTC for 2yrs 6months 2day.have dine hsg.which led to hydrotubation.ha dine massage n tuk in but lost d preg.pls don't kn wat is wrong or wat to do any help pls on way forward

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by Freshnessbabies(f): 12:57pm On Jun 02, 2015
Gudmoni mamas.am new here.hope I can get sm help.av ban TTC for 2yrs 6months 2day.have dine hsg.which led to hydrotubation.ha dine massage n tuk in but lost d preg.pls don't kn wat is wrong or wat to do any help pls on way forward
ayaakanoh:
I decree that as Mary got her good news in d 6th month (Luke 1:26-28) Elizabeth's own was in d 6th month (Lk 1 :36). U are d next 2 get ur 6th month good news and miracle IJMN.
Amen ooo
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by Freshnessbabies(f): 1:04pm On Jun 02, 2015
mumihaja:
Happy new y'all! wishing us a rain of BFP thing June
Anyway i dont know if i am forbidden from mentioning clo.mid on this forum cos most times when i mention it i get barred and thats really sad sad the last thing i said about clo.mid was that "it is a prescription drug, the person who asked the question should see a doctor and take it under doctor's supervision and it can not be combined with vitex....big pharmacies dont sell clomid to you except you come with your doctor's prescription.....i've come to realized that if some people fell into a ditch on a particular road they will keep quiet and let everyone else fall but i am not like that, everyone shouldnt be allowed to learn a lesson the hard way when you know you can help....
Firstly you must know that you have a limited number of time you can use clomid to avoid developing ovarian cancer and that is the more reason you need to see a doctor and let him know if you really need it before administering it, hsg must be done to ascertain the state of your tubes to avoid ectopic pregnancy and after a repeated course of clo.mid your endometrial lining might become too thin that even if the egg fertilises it will not be able to implant and clo.mid causes dryness of the vj and without the cervical fluid the semen might not be able to swim.....so thread carefully with clomid..
ayaakanoh:
Amen ooo
mrsfrank:

True talk mumihaja, my doctor placed me on Clomid 100mg without monitoring me, I ended up having an ectopic pregnancy. Thank God I'm alive today.
Thanks dear.had no fibroid b4 but after taking clomid got fibriod.wat other ovulation drug is gud apart from clomid pls rply
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by Spiritualgal: 2:03pm On Jun 02, 2015
Mama in the house, pls help me interprete my HSG result.

The cervical canal is normal in calibre n shows a smooth outline.
The uterine cavity is enlarge with an extrinsic fundal impression probable due to myoma
Both fallopian tubes are outlined to their fimbral ends and there is spillage of contrast from both fallopian tubes.

Contrast is noted to coat the bowel loops. No evidence of pelvic adhesion seen.

Conclusion,
Patent Fallopian tubes
Enlarge uterine cavity with myoma
Pelvic ultrasonography is advised.

Legendmum,mumihaja,miraclemum and other sabi mama,pls help me out
Fertility dust to all.
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by sugah: 2:09pm On Jun 02, 2015
Spiritualgal your results are quite straightforward. Both tubes are open. But they noted something in the uterus which they suspect is fibroids (myoma). You are advised to go for a pelvic scan to confirm.
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by mumigrace(f): 2:35pm On Jun 02, 2015
Nnn
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by mumihaja(f): 2:36pm On Jun 02, 2015
Ramcie:

I have PCOS so I don't have regular length I usually have to induce with primolut for AF to show. Though I'm presently on metformin and letrozole that's why I started checking from day since cause I was having cramps.

@Ramcie, except for the cramp, with pcos you expect your follicles to mature late which means you should start testing from cd 14 to 19 except you are on ovulation induction drug thats when you can expect it to mature early.....on cd6 your folicle should be around 6mm or less and ovulation occurs from 22mm........ovulation in pcos is usually very late that explains why you have a long cycle and if you always have to always induce Af it means you usually dont ovulate at all cos ovulation occurs exactly 14days after ovulation.....i usually suggest vitex, maca and red clover to people with pcos

Thanks dear.had no fibroid b4 but after taking clomid got fibriod.wat other ovulation drug is gud apart from clomid pls rply[/quote]

@freshnessbabies, you can take Soy Isoflavones as it does same work as clomid with no side effect and it is taken same way you take clomid, as in you take it from cd 2 or cd3 and for 5 days alone.

@spiritualgal, @sugah has said it all.

@yetunspepper, what day of your cycle did you do the TVS?
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by mumigrace(f): 2:48pm On Jun 02, 2015
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jun 02, 2015
Hello fruitful mama's and papa's please i need your answers to this question o, before i go nuts

Is it possible to have regular/prompt cycle and not ovulate every month. If it is possible then where does the flow come from?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by Kudibaby(f): 3:41pm On Jun 02, 2015
Ayaayo:
Hello fruitful mama's and papa's please i need your answers to this question o, before i go nuts

Is it possible to have regular/prompt cycle and not ovulate every month. If it is possible then where does the flow come from?

my sister we 're in the same boat,my period is also regular in fact I have never missed it,a 28 days cycle,yet I don't c the EWCM,I don't no if I speculate or nit
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by Yetunspepper: 4:24pm On Jun 02, 2015
mumihaja:

@Ramcie, except for the cramp, with pcos you expect your follicles to mature late which means you should start testing from cd 14 to 19 except you are on ovulation induction drug thats when you can expect it to mature early.....on cd6 your folicle should be around 6mm or less and ovulation occurs from 22mm........ovulation in pcos is usually very late that explains why you have a long cycle and if you always have to always induce Af it means you usually dont ovulate at all cos ovulation occurs exactly 14days after ovulation.....i usually suggest vitex, maca and red clover to people with pcos

Thanks dear.had no fibroid b4 but after taking clomid got fibriod.wat other ovulation drug is gud apart from clomid pls rply

@freshnessbabies, you can take Soy Isoflavones as it does same work as clomid with no side effect and it is taken same way you take clomid, as in you take it from cd 2 or cd3 and for 5 days alone.

@spiritualgal, @sugah has said it all.

@yetunspepper, what day of your cycle did you do the TVS?
at Cd 8
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by Spiritualgal: 4:51pm On Jun 02, 2015
Tnx a lot sugah. I was actually worried about the myoma cos I didn't know what that means. Fertility dust to u.

sugah:
Spiritualgal your results are quite straightforward. Both tubes are open. But they noted something in the uterus which they suspect is fibroids (myoma). You are advised to go for a pelvic scan to confirm.
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by omalichachim(f): 4:53pm On Jun 02, 2015
hello sisters,

@Kaycee, if you are in ur 2ww, pls go and do pregnancy test, it could be pregnancy, it happened to my frnd and a sister from this forum dat way.

@Ayooya and kudibaby
from my own understanding, menstruation is d shedding of endometrium, the uterine lining when there is no pregnancy. high level of estrogen helps the egg to mature and also cause the womb lining to become thicker in preparation for receiving a fertilised egg.
for someone who is not ovulating but menstruating, it means d person has low level of estrogen which might continue to slowly build up, but still not reach the levels needed for ovulation and start dropping dramatically. this could cause bleeding due to the already slowly built up uterine lining.
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by lollyrekiat(f): 5:08pm On Jun 02, 2015
Hello mamas in the house, may all our prayers be answered this month In Sha Allah. Amen. Dr in the house or anyone dt has overcome something similar to my case kindly help, I gave birth in 2003 thru CS since den ve not seen my menstruation, I went bk to the hospital I gave birth to before n after I stopped breastfeeding, I was treated for infection, when I saw no changes I went to General Hospital, dere I did hormonal test, pelvic scan&HSG and recently did adhesiolysis surgery around April but saw very light blood dt nite& morning, I went to complain and I was given OCP am on d first sachet and 2nd red pill, pls what can be done again? will I finish d red pill before seeing my menstruation? or should I try another tablet? Pls help.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by teeposh(f): 5:36pm On Jun 02, 2015
Hello fruitful mommies and mommies to be

so i am new here. seems like theres people here that actually understand this "passing phase" of delayed conception. Been trying for almost two years and its frustrating to say the least, even my husband does not understand why i am so sad at times. Sometimes I get so discouraged that I cannot even pray to God, may God help us all, somehow I find my way back. May God help our unbelief and give us strength.

I have been ttc (by the way i am not very goof with all the abbreviations and their meanings o) for almost two years now. been diagnosed with pcos. i have used clomid severally but no result yet. This doctor has now pplaced me on metformin and bromocriptine and also clomid this cycle.

Looking to make some good friends here. May God smile on us and open our wombs soon

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by mmyglitz: 6:18pm On Jun 02, 2015
@lollyrekiat maybe you should ask your doctor about ashermans syndrome. It may be a possibility, since 2003 is a very long time. You can read more about it online, was a stent placed after the adhesiolysis??
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by kaycee676(f): 6:22pm On Jun 02, 2015
[quote author=omalichachim post=34353976]hello sisters,

@Kaycee, if you are in ur 2ww, pls go and do pregnancy test, it could be pregnancy, it happened to my frnd and a sister from this forum dat way.

@omalichamchim good evening. Pls can u explain to me wa dis 2ww means. Tanks
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by mamakendra(f): 6:43pm On Jun 02, 2015
@kaycee676. 2ww means 2 weeks wait. Its the 2 weeks after ur ovu.lat. ion, just before ur next flo
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by kaycee676(f): 7:57pm On Jun 02, 2015
mamakendra:
@kaycee676. 2ww means 2 weeks wait. Its the 2 weeks after ur ovu.lat. ion, just before ur next flo

Tanks u so much my omalicha. I will do dat. But I wnt to wait till I miss my period just to be very sure. I know dat dis month is our month. Baby dust to u all.

2 Likes

Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jun 02, 2015
Welcome @ teeposh. May your stay be short. You are not alone in the TTC with PCOS journey and we are all here to give you the support you need.

Try and read through the previous pages, you will learn a lot.

Sending fertility blessings your way kiss

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by wonyi: 9:17pm On Jun 02, 2015
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by mmyglitz: 9:21pm On Jun 02, 2015
@ teeposh welcome and may your stay be short. Please don't be discouraged and very soon it will be a thing of the past, if you are over weight try to loose some weight. Sabi mamas will advise on what to do about pcos
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by mmyglitz: 9:26pm On Jun 02, 2015
@ wonyi you are right but doctor adviced I do hysteroscopy to remove adhesions he said its not a blind procedure unlike adhesiolysis but still trying to see how Serrapeptase and castor oil packs can work

(1) (2) (3) ... (843) (844) (845) (846) (847) (848) (849) ... (3054) (Reply)

Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.