Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,111 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:55 AM

Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt (30991 Views)

Ondo Elections : "Rig And Die " - OPC Threatens Federal Government / Ondo Elections: Olusola Oke Convoy Attacked By Hoodlums Again(pics) / Ondo Elections: INEC Explains Why It Declared Jimoh Ibrahim PDP Candidate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by onnenka: 6:21am On Aug 16, 2016
ikechu1:
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Yet this is coming from people who told us they are sophisticated people and plays sophisticated politics.

Such deluded community

2 Likes

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by onnenka: 6:23am On Aug 16, 2016
KnowAll:
The Muslims wey dey talk sef, dem won go import Muslims from Zamfara or how dey one take do am!!! undecided
maybe they have imported enough Fulani herdsmen to vote for them.

3 Likes

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by onnenka: 6:26am On Aug 16, 2016
ikechu1:
Anyone notice the yolobas are avoiding this thread like it carry some ebola.

If this was igbo, they'll be all over this thread screaming "Igbos are not united, Igbos hate themselves how can they survive in Biafra" among other rubbish.

As well as given political advice that no one ask them for.
We know their ways. The biased moderators would have even taken it to front page before it got to 4 comments to increase the Igbo bashing.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by oduastates: 7:10am On Aug 16, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

Wrong call. Yorubas dont ban diversities, we respect and acconodate universalities.

We certainly do but not from an organisation which is subservient to Sokoto and who are playing religious politics in yorubaland.
Was this not one of the core reasons why we kicked out Jonathan.when he and his goons were trying to cause religious crisis in yorubaland through religious politics in Osun.
Was this not what led Tunde Kelani to produce a video to warn of their scheme.
You may want to go through my profile.I am an Oodua nationalist. My disdain for religion ( Christianity and Islam) especially the way it is practiced in Nigeria is well known.and it is on that note that I will judge anybody.
If you want to contest for an election, you should contest as an omoluabi.
Did Ambode or Fashola play this kind of politics?
Abi are there are other tribes in yorubaland known as Islam and Christianity?

7 Likes

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by trenlog: 7:37am On Aug 16, 2016
oduastates:

No state in yorubaland has a Muslim majority apart Maybe kwara.Absolutely none. In ondo state, Muslim are less than 7% of the population and Most if them are recent migrants
By the way this useless organisation must be banned everywhere in yorubaland.
You are talking out of ignorance, what of Oyo, Osun, Kwara and Ogun? Even Lagos has more Muslim who are indigenes of the state more than Christians.

9 Likes

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:48am On Aug 16, 2016
akinyeleaa:
While I strongly condemn this line of thinking of the Ondo Muslims, it is important to note that other states in the SW that are Muslim majority especially Osun have always been sensitive to the feelings of non Muslims, so saying Muslims are in minority in Ondo would be foolish
Osun even twice had Christians as both governor and deputy(Oyinlola's administration), despite being a Muslim majority state.

While that shouldn't be the yardstick for voting (and it has never been in the SW before), I think it isn't out of place to accommodate Muslims, maybe the as the deputy.

Nonetheless, I still think it is dumb to vote based on religious lines. I, for instance haven't benefited anything from Buhari, (a fellow Muslim since he assumed office), so what's the fuss about religion here.

Just vote who you feel will serve you better, even if an atheist
Bro, why the contradiction?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by Izonpikin: 7:55am On Aug 16, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

Dude, go and sit somewhere. Keep following that news and you will see in coming weeks that the grievance is resolved. Look, we Yorubas are members of humanity, we are not immune to the general problems humanity face in structuring society but far above others we posess the intrigues and savviness to work around social problems. In other words, we are far more socially superior and far advanced in evolution and intelligence ttan most, Igbos included.
see this one.... grin...far more superior I hear...and you guys choose to remain under the fulani chains.... grin...

Make we hear word abeg....

Yawns... cheesy

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by oboy3(m): 8:16am On Aug 16, 2016
yoruba muslims are always trying to impress their fulani muslims masters

7 Likes

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by mandarin: 8:28am On Aug 16, 2016
trenlog:
You are talking out of ignorance, what of Oyo, Osun, Kwara and Ogun? Even Lagos has more Muslim who are indigenes of the state more than Christians.

I certainly do not agree with religious segmentation in Yorubaland but you know when resources concentrate in government, there will be agitations by different groups. The truth is that Yoruba has never played to the gallery on religious ground and I think its the influence of their culture that is responsible for such.
Let's be factual, Yoruba land has probably the highest number of Muslims converts into Christianity in the world per population. The actual population of Muslims can no longer be judged by names people bear just like we have ifawale as imams and ogunwale as Bishops.
The states you can think of may be a 50% Christian and Muslims population are two; kwara and Oyo but that isn't even certain when Ibadan comes into the equation in Oyo and when you can think outside of Ilorin and offa in kwara.
To note Ogun as Muslim dominated is a comedy and in fact, when did religion become an issue in Yoruba politics? Saraki, Tinubu, Fashola, Amosun's wives are Christians and most of their children are Christians.
I think one fact you can't take away from the Yoruba is the multireligious nature, good Christians bad Christians, good Muslims bad Muslims, traditional worshippers exclusive, those who combine either of Christianity or Islam with traditional worships or consultations, those who are just there.
You may wish to say that nominal and practicing Christians including Muslim converts should be like over 60% of the population and about 2% exclusive traditional adherents.

12 Likes

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by 12Monkeys: 9:21am On Aug 16, 2016
mandarin:

I certainly do not agree with religious segmentation in Yorubaland but you know when resources concentrate in government, there will be agitations by different groups. The truth is that Yoruba has never played to the gallery on religious ground and I think its the influence of their culture that is responsible for such.
Let's be factual, Yoruba land has probably the highest number of Muslims converts into Christianity in the world per population. The actual population of Muslims can no longer be judged by names people bear just like we have ifawale as imams and ogunwale as Bishops.
The states you can think of may be a 50% Christian and Muslims population are two; kwara and Oyo but that isn't even certain when Ibadan comes into the equation in Oyo and when you can think outside of Ilorin and offa in kwara.
To note Ogun as Muslim dominated is a comedy and in fact, when did religion become an issue in Yoruba politics? Saraki, Tinubu, Fashola, Amosun's wives are Christians and most of their children are Christians.
I think one fact you can't take away from the Yoruba is the multireligious nature, good Christians bad Christians, good Muslims bad Muslims, traditional worshippers exclusive, those who combine either of Christianity or Islam with traditional worships or consultations, those who are just there.
You may wish to say that nominal and practicing Christians including Muslim converts should be like over 60% of the population and about 2% exclusive traditional adherents.

Go to any higher institution in the SW and you will see first hand the growing level of radicalization among Yoruba Muslim students.

The problem may not have yet started showing on the streets but give it a couple of years and these radical elements will be in position to change Yoruba politics forever.

The likes of Amir Sanusi where instrumental in furthering the radical Islamic and pro northern movement in universities with their Muslim Student Society. Today those guys are in power and their Islamization agenda is on full swing.

Give Yoruba land at least 10 yrs from now and you will see religion playing a crucial role and determinant in yet heir local politics.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by KnowAll(m): 9:25am On Aug 16, 2016
Funny enough Osun has d biggest bishops Daddy GO and Ashimolowo but they would seem to be probably 51 % muslim to 49% Christians and that stats is changing everyday downwards against d Muslims. Again Something to note northern Osun - that is d Oyo's people speaking like Oyo people Iwo, ede and Osogbo tend to be more Muslims while d eastern part d Ife's and Ijesha tend to be 90% Christians.

Another intresting thing is Aregbesola comes from d Ijesha zone and he is a Muslim while majority of kith and kins are Christians. Osun is where there are distinct seperation amongst d faith.

Daddy GO is Ijesha and Ashimolowo comes from.mostly muslim part of d state.

In Oyo State - The Ibadans and Oyo's are predominantly Muslims. But Ibadan has so many migrant yoruba's from.all over Yoruba land making it more like 50-50 if not 60-40 in favour of Christians why d oke ogun - ogbomoshos, iseyins and shakis are predominantly Christians of baptist stock.

Ekiti and Ondo are predominantly Christian states about 95%.

In a ogun state they have history of having huge muslim named Christians who are no more muslims but are Christians today people like Baker.

Lago's indigene are about 50-50 but being Nigeria' s former capital it has being overwhelmed by a Nigerians from all works of lives. There is a a thriving church business in d city making it one of cities with highest conversion rate in Nigeria. 70% are Christians I will say. Lagos indigenous population today are insignificant in d grand scheme of things today.

8 Likes

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by onnenka: 9:31am On Aug 16, 2016
12Monkeys:

Go to any higher institution in the SW and you will see first hand the growing level of radicalization among Yoruba Muslim students.

The problem may not have yet started showing on the streets but give it a couple of years and these radical elements will be in position to change Yoruba politics forever.

The likes of Amir Sanusi where instrumental in furthering the radical Islamic and pro northern movement in universities with their Muslim Student Society. Today those guys are in power and their Islamization agenda is on full swing.

Give Yoruba land at least 10 yrs from now and you will see religion playing a crucial role and determinant in yet heir local politics.
10 years is too far, we are already seeing it online, it will soon transfer to the streets if nothing is done about it.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by Goke7: 9:42am On Aug 16, 2016
Religion is becoming a curse to Nigeria just like oil.

Its high time the south west begins to take steps not to allow this to take firm root.

Its also high time we stop all this borrowing from islamic banks cos it seems this is what is bringing all this unnecessary agitations.

But folks should remember that Nigeria started borrowing money from the islamic banks under the GEJ and his puff puff face madam NOI with emir sanusi.

we cannot be lending from the islamic banks and not play to their whims and caprices. Honestly na we de find trouble wey no dey.

2 Likes

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by Deadright2(m): 9:55am On Aug 16, 2016
yorruba muslims can go to hell, ondo is for christians .

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by mandarin: 11:37am On Aug 16, 2016
12Monkeys:

I understand your fears but unfortunately even in 100years it may not materialize, why? Culture of freedom.
No one stops you from doing Oro(cult) ceremonies, no one forbids you from holding stuffs in your mosques or churches. You will have no one to fight.
Anyone seen as a religious symbol and marketed that way cannot be a political force among Yoruba. Fashola is a nominal Muslim, every new year thanksgiving in Lagos during his regime had Pastor Adeboye as the preacher, same with Amosun, why do you think they associate with these men? Among the Yoruba, there are few exclusively religious families without the mix of everything and bigotry cannot win you any political popularity not even in Kwara.

I schooled in the southwest too and a group once attempted to disrupt a Friday class die to Jumat, to the surprise of all, Muslims students like themselves countered them that everything in life is of free will.
There's no way you won't have radicalized elements in Yoruba land but their fights will first start from their own families, they will first have to contend with pastors and easy going Muslims, babalawo etc in their families first. You can see why their futures aren't so promising.

9 Likes

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by mandarin: 11:48am On Aug 16, 2016
Deadright2:
yorruba muslims can go to hell, ondo is for christians .

Yoruba land is for everyone; Muslims, Christians, traditionalist, free thinkers and it will only take you to fuse into their society to know the mentality of freedom these people carries. Apart from some minorities in Middle Belt, the Yoruba is the group to which you can ascribe religious freedom. Mosques and churches side by side, husbands and wives practicing differing religions, imam inviting pastors to house warming.

Even those in those universities chose a part of deep Islam, most of them chose the path of peace and to lord their ideologies and reclusive lifestyle will be hard.Religious separatism, sharia or Christian codes can't sell. Civilization not religion is what Yoruba embrace, who can stop that really?

13 Likes

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by 12Monkeys: 11:58am On Aug 16, 2016
mandarin:

I understand your fears but unfortunately even in 100years it may not materialize, why? Culture of freedom.
No one stops you from doing Oro(cult) ceremonies, no one forbids you from holding stuffs in your mosques or churches. You will have no one to fight.
Anyone seen as a religious symbol and marketed that way cannot be a political force among Yoruba. Fashola is a nominal Muslim, every new year thanksgiving in Lagos during his regime had Pastor Adeboye as the preacher, same with Amosun, why do you think they associate with these men? Among the Yoruba, there are few exclusively religious families without the mix of everything and bigotry cannot win you any political popularity not even in Kwara.

I schooled in the southwest too and a group once attempted to disrupt a Friday class die to Jumat, to the surprise of all, Muslims students like themselves countered them that everything in life is of free will.
There's no way you won't have radicalized elements in Yoruba land but their fights will first start from their own families, they will first have to contend with pastors and easy going Muslims, babalawo etc in their families first. You can see why their futures aren't so promising.

I would have shared your hope and confidence of a political structure in the SW devoid of religious sentiments but a new wind has began blowing over the SW and that is a political movement promoting nationalism over sacred Yoruba ideology of freedom of political and religious expression.

There are more opponents of the likes of Fayose and FFK in Yoruba land than there are in the north.

When Olu Falae was kidnapped by Fulani herdsmen who attacked his farm, there were more doubts from the same SW questioning the octogerian elder statesman and chieftain of the once revered Afinifere.

A cursory look at these doubting Thomases who went as far as calling Falae a liar saw that they were mainly drawn from the APC and Muslim fold among Yorubas.

They took a cue from their lord and master, Tinubu who in an attempt to promote himself supreme in all spheres of Yoruba life, started the insults on Afenifere and the revered stools of Obas in Yoruba land.

To these misfits, Tinubu is lord, Nigeria is supreme even above Yoruba expectations and traditions and the northern Islamic front absolute.

If you doubt me, I will be posting links of topics created by Yoruba Muslims in the "Muslim for Muslims only" section to show you how these your brothers and sisters reason.

8 Likes

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by Anticabal: 12:36pm On Aug 16, 2016
Lol..yorubas want everyone to pretend that yorubaland is united, when we all know the reverse is the case. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by Whynotthetruth(m): 1:03pm On Aug 16, 2016
mandarin:

cheesy Learn to be realistic bro...

From which tribe & religion cometh those sect that attack and insult Fayose , Odumakin, FFK, Babatope etc and are ready to die for buhari even before his fellow Northerners ... Believe me, Yoruba muslims are deadlier than northern muslims nowadays...It is already manifesting for all to see because corruptio optima pessima wink

5 Likes

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by mandarin: 5:08pm On Aug 16, 2016
Whynotthetruth:

cheesy Learn to be realistic bro...

From which tribe & religion cometh those sect that attack and insult Fayose , Odumakin, FFK, Babatope etc and are ready to die for buhari even before his fellow Northerners ... Believe me, Yoruba muslims are deadlier than northern muslims nowadays...It is already manifesting for all to see because corruptio optima pessima wink

You don't seem to be able to filter political antagonism from religious ones. How do you differentiate muslims from christians among the Yoruba if a muslim chose not to put an islamic name as part of his names. Attacks based on political affilliation has always been part of the Yoruba political history and its evidently clear that when power changes hands things can turn around. Who even told you that those attacks did not originate from their own foes in their own camps?
Politics is a bitter thing among Yoruba i know that but religion? i will say forget it, they will certainly rise above that.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by mandarin: 5:18pm On Aug 16, 2016
12Monkeys:

I would have shared your hope and confidence of a political structure in the SW devoid of religious sentiments but a new wind has began blowing over the SW and that is a political movement promoting nationalism over sacred Yoruba ideology of freedom of political and religious expression.

There are more opponents of the likes of Fayose and FFK in Yoruba land than there are in the north.

When Olu Falae was kidnapped by Fulani herdsmen who attacked his farm, there were more doubts from the same SW questioning the octogerian elder statesman and chieftain of the once revered Afinifere.

A cursory look at these doubting Thomases who went as far as calling Falae a liar saw that they were mainly drawn from the APC and Muslim fold among Yorubas.

I am not a politician and don't work for one but i must admit you have scores to settle with Tinubu hence your thoughts on his religious leanings. But i feel he has a Christian Itsekiri wife or so, christians all around him and within his family. That he belong to an opposite side of politics with those you mentioned mean anything can be a weapon of war or winning and dragging your enemy down in politics. I feel all those involved in politics and using pan-ethnic platforms understand the consequences of their actions and political decisions. Your opinion therefore to me isn't religious but political which is at variance with the subject matter.
As a matter of fact, there are more christians and social groups in school campuses than islamic groups and the academic environment is a place for enlightened people to grow in every facet of their social life. I insist that the future of islamic fundamentalism is bleak in Yoruba land because they have no one to fight and will never get any empathy among the populace. The Yoruba way of life is not a religious one but cultural and inspite of the penetration of evangelical christianity, Ahmadiya and co, it has refused to die for centuries and that is what make the difference.

They took a cue from their lord and master, Tinubu who in an attempt to promote himself supreme in all spheres of Yoruba life, started the insults on Afenifere and the revered stools of Obas in Yoruba land.

To these misfits, Tinubu is lord, Nigeria is supreme even above Yoruba expectations and traditions and the northern Islamic front absolute.

If you doubt me, I will be posting links of topics created by Yoruba Muslims in the "Muslim for Muslims only" section to show you how these your brothers and sisters reason.
Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by akinyeleaa: 5:30pm On Aug 16, 2016
oduastates:

No state in yorubaland has a Muslim majority apart Maybe kwara.Absolutely none. In ondo state, Muslim are less than 7% of the population and Most if them are recent migrants
By the way this useless organisation must be banned everywhere in yorubaland.

Dindinrin leleyi sha, so na Christian majority be all states for SW, including Osun, even Oyo too abi?

And Muslims in Ondo, less than 7% abi or no Muslims sef, apoda buruku

5 Likes

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by akinyeleaa: 5:44pm On Aug 16, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

Bro, why the contradiction?
No contradiction, bro
All I'm saying is vote a credible person, even if of another faith and as well advocating political parties to balance out the positions.

OSUN TWICE HAD A CHRISTIAN GOV AND DEPUTY AND THERE WASN'T ANY UPROAR, BECAUSE MAJORITY PREFERRED HIM THEM TO THE ALTERNATIVE.
Mind you, Osun is majority Muslim o

But I still think a Muslim governor should have a Christian deputy and vice versa as we are roughly divide so in the SW
I'm sure there are credible people on both divides, political parties should shop for them.

2 Likes

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by akinyeleaa: 6:02pm On Aug 16, 2016
12Monkeys:

So APC/PDP politics is now what you are basing your deductions on.
You spoilt everything when you mentioned Falae and Tinubu in a pro/anti kinda manner

You folks have simply refused to move on, Tinubu pitched his tent where he feels serve him better, and so did Falae, afenifere and co.

All these banters is just because an election was won and lost o

5 Likes

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by Yalakalibari007: 6:17pm On Aug 16, 2016
Lol that's the beauty of politics, the Muslim s shud check the cause to effect of such. Because it could be that there is a Judas selling them out.

There are no coincidence in politics. Every thing is planned, let them check within before any utterance's which may turn out inconsequential.
Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by mmsen: 6:17pm On Aug 16, 2016
Anyone who campaigns on the basis of religion should automatically be disqualified from running for public office.

You see what we have with Buhari.

You see what happens in the North.

Nothing good comes from deepening religious sentiment.

Besides, Nigeria is a secular republic.

5 Likes

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by Nobody: 6:17pm On Aug 16, 2016
The point has been made. To those southeners and so called free minded christians that claimed equality or segregation whenever concerns are raised i hope they can see and understand that concerns are about objectivity not about ridiculing anyone or for selfiish reasons.

God help us

1 Like

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by Nectarbaba(m): 6:19pm On Aug 16, 2016
Alright. I hear
Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by BABANGBALI: 6:20pm On Aug 16, 2016
Who dem epp? mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeew
Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by neocortex: 6:22pm On Aug 16, 2016
akinyeleaa:
While I strongly condemn this line of thinking of the Ondo Muslims, it is important to note that other states in the SW that are Muslim majority especially Osun have always been sensitive to the feelings of non Muslims, so saying Muslims are in minority in Ondo would be foolish
Osun even twice had Christians as both governor and deputy(Oyinlola's administration), despite being a Muslim majority state.

While that shouldn't be the yardstick for voting (and it has never been in the SW before), I think it isn't out of place to accommodate Muslims, maybe the as the deputy.

Nonetheless, I still think it is dumb to vote based on religious lines. I, for instance haven't benefited anything from Buhari, (a fellow Muslim since he assumed office), so what's the fuss about religion here.

Just vote who you feel will serve you better, even if an atheist

Why can't you make up your mind ?
To muslim or not to muslim ?

2 Likes

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by funshint(m): 6:22pm On Aug 16, 2016
For God sake wat manner of thinking is this...how did SW reach dis point?! I blame pple like Ishaq Oloyede-Jamb *Major proponent of Islamic intolerance in SW....God help us!

4 Likes

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by Orikinla(m): 6:24pm On Aug 16, 2016

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Insecurity: Why We Couldn’t Defeat Boko Haram – Ex-Service Chiefs / Kim Young-Chae To Nigeria: You Don’t Need Foreign Help To Solve Insecurity / Tompolo Writes Last Letter To Buhari, Laments Harassment, Intimidation Of Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.