Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,468 members, 7,770,153 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:01 AM

Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt (30994 Views)

Ondo Elections : "Rig And Die " - OPC Threatens Federal Government / Ondo Elections: Olusola Oke Convoy Attacked By Hoodlums Again(pics) / Ondo Elections: INEC Explains Why It Declared Jimoh Ibrahim PDP Candidate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by dryyansh1(m): 7:21pm On Aug 16, 2016
KnowAll:
Ondo state has d lowest muslim population amongst yoruba states. The muslim threat is a hollow threat they have not got d numbers . Afterall Rahman Olusgun Mimiko was born a Muslim and he takes care of their concerns they have already have representation in Mimiko.
No, Ekiti has the lowest Muslim population.

2 Likes

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by Nobody: 7:21pm On Aug 16, 2016
trenlog:
You are talking out of ignorance, what of Oyo, Osun, Kwara and Ogun? Even Lagos has more Muslim who are indigenes of the state more than Christians.

Where did you get your fact from did you conduct census to arrive at that point that muslims out number the Christians in those states you mentioned??
Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by tonio2wo: 7:26pm On Aug 16, 2016
kaze4blues:
ondo state is a Christian dominated state.
the Muslim population in ondo state is almost negligible

Taa! Christians no dominate o! Na jazz men be #1

I served there!
Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by shegzyreal(m): 7:26pm On Aug 16, 2016
like their votes count
Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by akinyeleaa: 7:27pm On Aug 16, 2016
2kaybiel:
. Who told you that, muslims are the majority in Osun state where did you get your fact from??
Where you also got yours that they are not
Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by nnokwa042(m): 7:29pm On Aug 16, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

Dude, go and sit somewhere. Keep following that news and you will see in coming weeks that the grievance is resolved. Look, we Yorubas are members of humanity, we are not immune to the general problems humanity face in structuring society but far above others we posess the intrigues and savviness to work around social problems. In other words, we are far more socially superior and far advanced in evolution and intelligence ttan most, Igbos included.
Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by Nobody: 7:30pm On Aug 16, 2016
akinyeleaa:
While I strongly condemn this line of thinking of the Ondo Muslims, it is important to note that other states in the SW that are Muslim majority especially Osun have always been sensitive to the feelings of non Muslims, so saying Muslims are in minority in Ondo would be foolish
Osun even twice had Christians as both governor and deputy(Oyinlola's administration), despite being a Muslim majority state.

While that shouldn't be the yardstick for voting (and it has never been in the SW before), I think it isn't out of place to accommodate Muslims, maybe the as the deputy.

Nonetheless, I still think it is dumb to vote based on religious lines. I, for instance haven't benefited anything from Buhari, (a fellow Muslim since he assumed office), so what's the fuss about religion here.

Just vote who you feel will serve you better, even if an atheist

Did u just say Osun is majority Muslim??!!

I am from Osun state and I can categorically tell u dt 80% of Osun residents are Ifa worshippers dt go to babalawo on d regular & don't miss any festival. Even those dt claim to be xtian/Muslim are really not. There are very few dt have completely left traditional worship.
Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by OBAGADAFFI: 7:37pm On Aug 16, 2016
trenlog:
You are talking out of ignorance, what of Oyo, Osun, Kwara and Ogun? Even Lagos has more Muslim who are indigenes of the state more than Christians.

OYO and Kwara got more Muslims than Christians.

Ondo and Ekiti got more Christians than Muslims.

Lagos, Ogun and Osun is 50-50.

4 Likes

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by nnokwa042(m): 7:41pm On Aug 16, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

Dude, go and sit somewhere. Keep following that news and you will see in coming weeks that the grievance is resolved. Look, we Yorubas are members of humanity, we are not immune to the general problems humanity face in structuring society but far above others we posess the intrigues and savviness to work around social problems. In other words, we are far more socially superior and far advanced in evolution and intelligence ttan most, Igbos included.
i still think the yorubas dont understand the meaning of the word sophistication , i still cant believe a tribe in nigeria called them selves sophisticated people then i ask again how ? Is it been the first people to meet oyibo people? or the first people to invent car or telephone or radio or camera or lap top or tv or plane? and i ask again why yorubas re so obsessed with this word sophistication this word re meant for countries like japan italy Germany france england russia not a tribe in africa that dont even ve water to flush toilet

9 Likes

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by Nobody: 7:46pm On Aug 16, 2016
ikechu1:

GBAM so true

And this thread would be like 18 pages by now, not the 2 that it is.

It shows between yoloba and igbo who are the matured type....this thread speaks volumes big time
this thread has gotten into its 3rd thread without significant igbo interference involving sarcasm or ethnic bigotry. Hope the would afford US such on igbo related threads?

1 Like

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by Biafman: 7:48pm On Aug 16, 2016
If Biafra secures independence from the rest of the country, the Yoruba muslims will be so dominant in Oduduwa with the help of their northern muslims and they will lord over us Christian Yorubas whether we like it or not. A bigger Nigeria will check such excesses. So the bigger Nigeria, the freer my Yoruba people of Christian denomination.
Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by Sanchez01: 7:56pm On Aug 16, 2016
oduastates:

No state in yorubaland has a Muslim majority apart Maybe kwara.Absolutely none. In ondo state, Muslim are less than 7% of the population and Most if them are recent migrants
By the way this useless organisation must be banned everywhere in yorubaland.
Kwara is not a Yorubaland. Historically, yes. Geographically, no, presently, no.

Muslims all over Nigeria tend to pose problems before elections by constantly reminding the masses that they're different by registering some stüpid, nonsensical, annoying request, and the annoying part is the aspect in which they think they are somewhat after issuing such horrible, divisive assertions.
Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by YourNemesis: 7:58pm On Aug 16, 2016
Sanchez01:

Kwara is not a Yorubaland. Historically, yes. Geographically, no, presently, no.

Muslims all over Nigeria tend to pose problems before elections by constantly reminding the masses that they're different by registering some stüpid, nonsensical, annoying request, and the annoying part is the aspect in which they think they are somewhat after issuing such horrible, divisive assertions.

So please tell us where Yorubaland ends.
Definitely not at the northern fringes of Ekiti, Oyo and Osun.

1 Like

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by JUHABACH: 7:59pm On Aug 16, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

*facepalm*. just when you were starting to make sense, you just had to ruin it with your last sentence. SMH

1 Like

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by ikechu1: 7:59pm On Aug 16, 2016
eduj:

this thread has gotten into its 3rd thread without significant igbo interference involving sarcasm or ethnic bigotry. Hope the would afford US such on igbo related threads?

If you're expecting that from yolobas, then you are asking too much.

One pattern I noticed is that any thread about yoloba land and has nothing to do with other tribes, you rarely RARELY see others involved in it, talkless of insult them. But if it's fliped, the yolobas would filled all over that thread insulting, comparing, degrading, among other shits

If this thread was about SS, any state in SS, they would have filled the page with insults.
If this thread was about SE, only lord knows the amount of insults and degrading names filed on here.

The yolobas are the most hateful, tribalistic lots in that country yet ironically they accuse others of what it is they hold a crown on.

5 Likes

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by Adefemiaderoju1: 8:00pm On Aug 16, 2016
Omg can't believe what is coming out from these lslam group how does the religion had value to the life of the masses

So sad really what the world is turning into
Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by Sanchez01: 8:02pm On Aug 16, 2016
YourNemesis:

So please tell us where Yorubaland ends.
Definitely not at the northern fringes of Ekiti, Oyo and Osun.
Boarder politics is not my thing. But before you lay claims to Kwara, it would be nice you fall back to history to ascertain my initial assertion.
Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by Sanchez01: 8:03pm On Aug 16, 2016
trenlog:
Oyo, yes. Osun, yes, Ogun, not true. Lagos, definitely not true.
Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by YourNemesis: 8:08pm On Aug 16, 2016
Sanchez01:

Boarder politics is not my thing. But before you lay claims to Kwara, it would be nice you fall back to history to ascertain my initial assertion.

Border politics is definitely not your thing like you said, and I agree strongly.
political boundaries are different from cultural boundaries. Everyone knows that.
Go to Otun Ekiti or Ila Orangun in Osun or Igbeti in Oyo and see if you will be able to tell when you have crossed into Kwara.

3 Likes

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 8:09pm On Aug 16, 2016
trenlog:
Nice one, the states in Yoruba land that has low muslim population are Ondo and Ekiti state.
Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 8:11pm On Aug 16, 2016
Sanchez01:
Oyo, yes. Osun, yes, Ogun, not true. Lagos, definitely not true.
You are the one wrong, he is right. Most indigenes of Lagos are muslims. From all the past Oba of Lagos, they are mostly muslims.
Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 8:13pm On Aug 16, 2016
The Christians started this issue so, let the Muslims take their pound of flesh.

1 Like

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by Nobody: 8:15pm On Aug 16, 2016
Sanchez01:

You really shouldn't talk abt things u know nothing about. What do u mean historically kwara was Yoruba but now no more?? Kogi was carved out of it. Do u know how many tribes were in Kwara before? So how could u say it was historically a Yoruba state? Oshi.

Kwara is a very large state wt plenty towns & villages. Half of those villages are Yoruba - very close to my village in Osun state. We are all igbomina pple. Some of d other villages in Kwara are complete nupe & then u have mixed places like ilorin wt both Yorubas & fulanis.

So no one tribe can ever lay claim to Kwara. If Nigeria splits, the state will be completely divided along tribal lines & if ilorin decides to go wt d north central, no one really bloody cares. I personally say good riddance.

2 Likes

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 8:16pm On Aug 16, 2016
OBAGADAFFI:

OYO and Kwara got more Muslims than Christians.

Ondo and Ekiti got more Christians than Muslims.

Lagos, Ogun and Osun is 50-50.
haha... Muslims has higher population in Osun, Ogun and Lagos state. It is not 50-50.
Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by YourNemesis: 8:18pm On Aug 16, 2016
Gaddafithe2nd:

Nice one, the states in Yoruba land that has low muslim population are Ondo and Ekiti state.

So, exactly what will you gain from the high muslim population in any Yoruba state?
Shey na muslim population go put money for ur pocket?

Osun and Oyo are Muslim majority, but it is not an absolute majority the kind you find in the North. The muslim majority there is in the zone of 55-45, 53-47 that kind of thing.

Ondo and Ekiti are very christian dominant like 80-20-, 90-10 or similar.

Ogun is a Christian majority similar to the Muslim majority in Osun and Oyo.

Lagos INDIGENES are originally majority muslim, HOWEVER A LOT of them have converted, and when I say a lot, I mean a lot. Add influx of other Yoruba christians, plus other Nigerians, today Lagos is nothing less than 70% Christian.

Kogi Yorubas (Okuns) are a dominant Christian community, at least 80% Christian.

Kwara is 70% Muslim 30% christian and is the only state where you will find anything that bears any semblance with the north, though still not as lopsided with a strong christian minority.

At the end of the day, BOTH religions are FOREIGN to us Yorubas, so why should anyone waste their times trying to defend them.... Food for thought.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by Sanchez01: 8:24pm On Aug 16, 2016
YourNemesis:

Border politics is definitely not your thing like you said, and I agree strongly.
political boundaries are different from cultural boundaries. Everyone knows that.
Go to Otun Ekiti or Ila Orangun in Osun or Igbeti in Oyo and see if you will be able to tell when you have crossed into Kwara.
I have been to Ila Orangun before, and yes, one would not be able to tell if one is indeed still in Oyo or Kwara. Regardless, it does not necessarily imply that border defines the people it sits in between. Ondo shares border with Edo state, but doe not necessarily both make them Yorubaland. The story of Kwara being a Yorubaland is a once upon a time tale. Coincidentally, I had a similar discussion as this in the office before rounding off today.

Badagry and Benin is another example;while their tale is not in way historically related to that of Kwara, it still however goes on to say a lot about its people who find their way into Badagry and ended up becoming bilingual with the ability to express themselves in Yoruba language. A typical Kwaran is almost a Fulani before speaking Yoruba. Fulani in itself is not a tribe exclusive to the Yorubas but some part of the North. True, Ogbomina and Nupe also come in here but still does not lump them to Yoruba tribes. I had Kwaran neighbour; the man is an Alfa but his pretty wife who is more outspoken would readily ring it into your ears that they're Yoruba Fulanis and you can't just help but laugh at it and ask what that is all about.

Bottom line is, Most Kwarans today might speak Yoruba fluently, cultural practice, approach to life and their perspectives are more inclined towards the North than the South.

3 Likes

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 8:26pm On Aug 16, 2016
YourNemesis:

So, exactly what will you gain from the high muslim population in any Yoruba state?
Shey na muslim population go put money for ur pocket?

Osun and Oyo are Muslim majority, but it is not an absolute majority the kind you find in the North. The muslim majority there is in the zone of 55-45, 53-47 that kind of thing.

Ondo and Ekiti are very christian dominant like 80-20-, 90-10 or similar.

Ogun is a Christian majority similar to the Muslim majority in Osun and Oyo.

Lagos INDIGENES are originally majority muslim, HOWEVER A LOT of them have converted, and when I say a lot, I mean a lot. Add influx of other Yoruba christians, plus other Nigerians, today Lagos is nothing less than 70% Christian.

Kogi Yorubas (Okuns) are a dominant Christian community, at least 80% Christian.

Kwara is 70% Muslim 30% christian and is the only state where you will find anything that bears any semblance with the north, though still not as lopsided with a strong christian minority.

At the end of the day, BOTH religions are FOREIGN to us Yorubas, so why should anyone waste their times trying to defend them.... Food for thought.
I laughed at your assumptions. Lagos 70% Christians, is it because of the mushroom churches scattered around nooks and crannies of Lagos . ileya is nearby, come and experience how Lagos would be deserted. Ogun state is not majorly Christians. I grew up among the Ijebus and Abeokuta people. If Muslims are dominant in Ogun state, why is their Ojude Oba always held 3rd day after Ileya. Quit assuming.
The Christians started this mess, let the Muslims take their pound of flesh.
The two religion are foreign to Yoruba land, sorry bro my ancestors don't worship deities, I don't know about yours.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by Nobody: 8:28pm On Aug 16, 2016
I just realized I actually really don't care abt this topic. Lol! Faux outrage.
Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by 2odd(m): 8:35pm On Aug 16, 2016
Bro u ar wrong abt Lagos , go to the market n do a survey of the sales made on each religious festivity ,i can say for a fact that Christians outnumbered the muslims . Abt the ojude oba ,when Christians celebrates there's usually no space for any added ceremonies.
Gaddafithe2nd:

I laughed at your assumptions. Lagos 70% Christians, is it because of the mushroom churches scattered around nooks and crannies of Lagos . ileya is nearby, come and experience how Lagos would be deserted. Ogun state is not majorly Christians. I grew up among the Ijebus and Abeokuta people. If Muslims are dominant in Ogun state, why is their Ojude Oba always held 3,rd day after Ileya. Quit assuming.
The Christians started this mess, let the Muslims take their pound of flesh.
The two religion are foreign to Yoruba land, sorry bro
my ancestors don't worship deities, I don't know about yours.
Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by mfujah(m): 8:35pm On Aug 16, 2016
religious Don turn frat. islam sef don enter politics
Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by YourNemesis: 8:36pm On Aug 16, 2016
Sanchez01:

I have been to Ila Orangun before, and yes, one would not be able to tell if one is indeed still in Oyo or Kwara. Regardless, it does not necessarily imply that border defines the people it sits in between. Ondo shares border with Edo state, but doe not necessarily both make them Yorubaland. The story of Kwara being a Yorubaland is a once upon a time tale. Coincidentally, I had a similar discussion as this in the office before rounding off today.

Badagry and Benin is another example;while their tale is not in way historically related to that of Kwara, it still however goes on to say a lot about its people who find their way into Badagry and ended up becoming bilingual with the ability to express themselves in Yoruba language. A typical Kwaran is almost a Fulani before speaking Yoruba. Fulani in itself is not a tribe exclusive to the Yorubas but some part of the North. I had Kwaran neighbour; the man is an Alfa but his pretty wife who is more outspoken would readily ring it into your ears that they're Yoruba Fulanis and you can't just help but laugh at it and ask what that is all about.

Bottom line is, Most Kwarans today might speak Yoruba fluently, cultural practice, approach to life and their perspectives are more inclined towards the North than the South.

You sound incoherent.

So one will not be able to tell the difference between Osun/Oyo/northern Ekiti that is 100% Yorubaland and The neighboring Kwara.. In Customs, Language, Food, ressing, etc Yet the three former states are Yoruba but Kwara magically is not, because it has a Fula minority living in Ilorin? lol

Ondo and Edo is not even the same scenario. Edo is mainly Edoid speaking people with some Yoruba speaking towns here and there in the Northern and Western Axis of Edo state. Eguns in Lagos are still Egun, even if they are Bilingual./. Although many are rapidly becoming Yoruba. A lot of them have mixed names like Babatunde Setonji, Bidemi Hosu, Olalekan Segbeyon, Maturin Oladele Whesu, Olajide Avose, Abimbola Sonayon Etc They mostly have Egun surnames and Yoruba first names so what exactly are you talking about?

Are you telling me that Offa, Share, Omu Aran, Oro, Ilofa, Erin Ile, Esie, Ajashe Ipo and numerous other places are not in Yorubaland?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ondo Elections: Yoruba Muslims Threaten Political Revolt by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 8:42pm On Aug 16, 2016
2odd:
Bro u ar wrong abt Lagos , go to the market n do a survey of the sales made on each religious festivity ,i can say for a fact that Christians outnumbered the muslims . Abt the ojude oba ,when Christians celebrates there's usually no space for any added ceremonies.
Market indeed. I will now tell you that, many muslims by name celebrate your Christmas. Shanty churches doesn't change the facts that muslims have population than Christians in those states.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

IPOB Member Who Was Beaten During Protest In Bayelsa Dies In Hospital / Aregbesola Visits Governor Ajimobi And Adelabu In Ibadan (Photos) / Call Tinubu To Order, Bode George Tells Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.