Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,495 members, 7,812,530 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:51 PM

Homosexaulity Should It Be Lagalize In Nigeria? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Homosexaulity Should It Be Lagalize In Nigeria? (9178 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Homosexaulity Should It Be Lagalize In Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 12:34am On Oct 06, 2009
posakosa:

Nigerians love to practice the "Kiss and Don't tell Policy" You can't stop homosexuals from having sex. They just won't let you know about it.

I think this is even more dangerous, anyhoo! I rest. I would rather know that a gay is a gay, than have married men practice homosexuality in hiding, Let all gays come out and be who they want to be.

even if you call on all the gays to come and get something, most will not come out, there are still millions of gays in the western world that are hiding it away from their parents, not to talk of the community.
Re: Homosexaulity Should It Be Lagalize In Nigeria? by bawomolo(m): 1:27am On Oct 06, 2009
ChinenyeN:

Definition of "Accident of Birth"

and how is being born homosexual, tall etc detrimental to the person?
Re: Homosexaulity Should It Be Lagalize In Nigeria? by ChinenyeN(m): 2:48am On Oct 06, 2009
Bawomolo, Accident of Birth is in regards to something that can be either beneficial, detrimental, or a "just is" kind-of-thing.

Omo_law-uk, so to summarize, you are basically stating that you believe that a gene, or a collection of genes exist that code for homosexual behaviors and tendencies in humans. Am I mistaking?
Re: Homosexaulity Should It Be Lagalize In Nigeria? by morpheus24: 6:17pm On Oct 06, 2009
ChinenyeN:

Bawomolo, Accident of Birth is in regards to something that can be either beneficial, detrimental, or a "just is" kind-of-thing.

Omo_law-uk, so to summarize, you are basically stating that you believe that a gene, or a collection of genes exist that code for homosexual behaviors and tendencies in humans. Am I mistaking?

Why not genes pretty much determine a lot of our propensities
Re: Homosexaulity Should It Be Lagalize In Nigeria? by ChinenyeN(m): 6:59pm On Oct 06, 2009
morpheus24:

Why not genes pretty much determine a lot of our propensities
But is it the only (or main) factor, in the case of homosexuality? That's what I meant by "gene or genes that code for homosexual behavior and tendencies". Is genetics the only thing that determines whether or not someone will be homosexual? I ask because far too many times, I've seen cases of homosexuals, both male and female, but the mainly female, who alternate between gay and not gay. In fact, (even though my sample population isn't all encompassing), the majority of gay people that I know are converts (for lack of better word), and they sometimes convert back and forth between gay and not gay.

I'll admit, I'm no genetics researcher, researching and studying homosexuality and genetics, but I've read up on the issue. I even have my own eye witness account, and with all that, I have seen no conclusive proof, or agreement amongst researchers that genetics is the [main] determinant of homosexual behavior and tendencies. So, I just find it hard to believe anyone who tells me he/she was born gay, or anyone who states that homosexuality is genetic. Reason being that all that I have read does not lead me to conclude such.

And I find it hard to take people seriously, who claim and conclude such.
Re: Homosexaulity Should It Be Lagalize In Nigeria? by morpheus24: 7:08pm On Oct 06, 2009
ChinenyeN:

But is it the only (or main) factor, in the case of homosexuality? That's what I meant by "gene or genes that code for homosexual behavior and tendencies". Is genetics the only thing that determines whether or not someone will be homosexual? I ask because far too many times, I've seen cases of homosexuals, both male and female, but the mainly female, who alternate between gay and not gay. In fact, (even though my sample population isn't all encompassing), the majority of gay people that I know are converts (for lack of better word), and they sometimes convert back and forth between gay and not gay.

I'll admit, I'm no genetics researcher, researching and studying homosexuality and genetics, but I've read up on the issue. I even have my own eye witness account, and with all that, I have seen no conclusive proof, or agreement amongst researchers that genetics is the [main] determinant of homosexual behavior and tendencies. So, I just find it hard to believe anyone who tells me he/she was born gay, or anyone who states that homosexuality is genetic. Reason being that all that I have read does not lead me to conclude such.

And I find it hard to take people seriously, who claim and conclude such.

physical or psychological outcomes are as a result of genetics and enviromental factors. The two are not necessarily mutually exclusive in several cases.

it can be argued that the cell mutation that causes Sickle cell anamia is a result of continious exposure to geographical locations that carry the malaria parasit as it is evident that sickle cell carries a resistance to the parasite but likewise causes side effects to carriers of this particular cell mutation and manifests itself in the symptoms experienced by its carriers. A combination of nature "genetics' in response to "nuture' enviroment may be a clue to solving that riddle behind homosexuality so it can not be ruled out.

However I do understand your stance with people who consider themselves "bisexual" as I explained earlier there is a large spectrum to this "other" sexual affinity and some people who switch back and forth or who are not 'true' gays furhter exarcebate the issues complexities.
Re: Homosexaulity Should It Be Lagalize In Nigeria? by omolawuk: 7:15pm On Oct 06, 2009
What I believe is of no consequence.

I may believe that being gay is the handiwork of Belzebub, or that NASA staged the fake moon landings, or that the mafia killed JFK, or that Hitler is alive and well in Paraguay.

I may even believe that an intelligent, good-looking, thirtytwo  year old, long-haired young man, who is unmarried and hangs about with a group of 12 single men (mostly sailors), frequently spending the night in gardens or parks would be jailed in Nigeria or hung in Iran, but that is neither here nor there.

I have previously presented the facts, albeit in lay terms, Anyone is free to verify the facts, our bigoted, racist, tribalistic, self-indulgent and often evil beliefs should have no place in the scheme of things,

I leave you with a quote taught to me about 35 years ago by Prof. Obinyan:

" Tribalism as a concept, is anachronistic to comparative analysis"
Re: Homosexaulity Should It Be Lagalize In Nigeria? by ChinenyeN(m): 10:25pm On Oct 06, 2009
What you believe is of consequence, because you're posting here, which would imply that you want your voice to be heard. Anyway, according to your lengthy post, you do not know. You are only fairly certain. So why should your posts be given the time of day? You say there is a genetic component. Yet, you have not found it. So why should we give you the time of day? You claim homosexuality to be clearly of nature and not nurture. Yet, you cannot account for the masses of homosexual converts. Why should we take you seriously?

Me, personally, I don't believe homosexuality should be criminalized. Neither do I believe that it should be legalized. I believe that there should be no relationship between law and sex (unless money is involved -- i.e. Prostitution). I believe that government should do like my culture does, and observe a cultural code of silence in regards to sexual matters. So, I say no to the legalization of homosexuality, but I have no problem with decriminalizing it.
Re: Homosexaulity Should It Be Lagalize In Nigeria? by redsun(m): 11:21pm On Oct 06, 2009
Some times i wonder weather homosexuality is a mental issue,that there could be a part of the brain in gay people that may be functioning differently from heterosexuals to make them see,adore and derive joy in some thing that others see as an abomination and repulsive.I personally can't stand the thought but people do and that is their world and fantasy,my world is to take a woman.

We are all different crazy aliens in an alien world and all man should be be left alone to chart his or her own destiny as long as they are not bothering others.No man has the right to tell others how to think,how pleasure, how to feel and how to live.

It's ur life.
Re: Homosexaulity Should It Be Lagalize In Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 11:40pm On Oct 06, 2009
I am sorry, but i see it as a choice.
They chose to love a man instead of a woman, they follow their balls and not their heads.
Re: Homosexaulity Should It Be Lagalize In Nigeria? by bawomolo(m): 11:42pm On Oct 06, 2009
Fhemmmy:

I am sorry, but i see it as a choice.
They chose to love a man instead of a woman, they follow their balls and not their heads.

as if heterosexual men don't follow their balls either. come on dog
Re: Homosexaulity Should It Be Lagalize In Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 11:45pm On Oct 06, 2009
bawomolo:

as if heterosexual men don't follow their balls either. come on dog

They follow their balls, but not to follow another balls, but a puccy that might not be available to them.
Even a woman will be more relieved to know that the husband is cheating with a woman and not another man.
Pathetic.
Re: Homosexaulity Should It Be Lagalize In Nigeria? by bawomolo(m): 12:31am On Oct 07, 2009
Fhemmmy:

They follow their balls, but not to follow another balls, but a puccy that might not be available to them.

and how is your concern if a man is attracted to the same sex?

must they conform to your standards?
Re: Homosexaulity Should It Be Lagalize In Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 12:53am On Oct 07, 2009
bawomolo:

and how is your concern if a man is attracted to the same sex?

must they conform to your standards?

Not my standard, but that of God
Re: Homosexaulity Should It Be Lagalize In Nigeria? by omonija1(f): 12:57am On Oct 07, 2009
NO! NO! Hell NO!
Re: Homosexaulity Should It Be Lagalize In Nigeria? by nex(m): 1:03am On Oct 07, 2009
No
Re: Homosexaulity Should It Be Lagalize In Nigeria? by bawomolo(m): 1:26am On Oct 07, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Not my standard, but that of God

and how do you know God standards.

do you support a ban on adultery and polygamy (speaking of the christian God)
Re: Homosexaulity Should It Be Lagalize In Nigeria? by SEFAGO(m): 1:27am On Oct 07, 2009
we are a third-world backwards cesspool of ignorance country- of course homosexuality should not be legalized grin. It shuld be penalized.
Re: Homosexaulity Should It Be Lagalize In Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 1:55am On Oct 07, 2009
bawomolo:

and how do you know God standards.

do you support a ban on adultery and polygamy (speaking of the christian God)

Yes, i will support it, cos it is ought to be one man one wife, according to God's standard.
I know the standard of God based on what the bible says, and as well as based on what we know it is right, even a fool knows a man to many women is not a kool thing, cos the women aint complaining doesnt mean they are not hurting, i think the women shd start marrying more than one husband and the men could see what they have been doing to the women.
You will not even see a male dog dogging another male dog.
Re: Homosexaulity Should It Be Lagalize In Nigeria? by SEFAGO(m): 2:25am On Oct 07, 2009
I know the standard of God based on what the bible says, and as well as based on what we know it is right

What human hubris. How can you know what is right and what is wrong. If you do then u claim u are a god which u are not.
Re: Homosexaulity Should It Be Lagalize In Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 2:37am On Oct 07, 2009
I am not god and will never be.
Re: Homosexaulity Should It Be Lagalize In Nigeria? by SEFAGO(m): 2:51am On Oct 07, 2009
then u dont't know if "God" has a thing against homosexuals. If you use the bible, then u could also say God has a thing against non-jewish ppl
Re: Homosexaulity Should It Be Lagalize In Nigeria? by SEFAGO(m): 2:54am On Oct 07, 2009
You will not even see a male dog dogging another male dog.

other animals do it though. But that is not the point of legality mate. Why should it be banned, is it harmful to society. You make laws to protect society, so what is the menace about homosexuality. If you can give me at least one very well researched fact that homosexuals cause harm to society then i wuld eat my words
Re: Homosexaulity Should It Be Lagalize In Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 3:03am On Oct 07, 2009
Give me a reason why it shd be legalized and not legalized a man marrying more than one wife?
Re: Homosexaulity Should It Be Lagalize In Nigeria? by SEFAGO(m): 3:16am On Oct 07, 2009
I am not arguing for its legality, I am questioning why it is an issue, its not an issue so it shouldn't be illegal. Your question is like asking "why should walking be legal". Walking is not an issue that causes harm so its legality should not be questioned. Legalizing homosexuality is totally different from legalizing homosexual marriage. very very different
Re: Homosexaulity Should It Be Lagalize In Nigeria? by SEFAGO(m): 3:18am On Oct 07, 2009
man marrying more than one wife?

A man marrying more than one wife is illegal because of the[i] consequences[/i] of doing so in society. Bigamy/polygamy causes a lot of problems, and I dont need to outline them- they are pretty obvious, now what is the consequence of homosexuality? of course apart from going to hell, which no one has ever been to anyways so why not take the risk  grin
Re: Homosexaulity Should It Be Lagalize In Nigeria? by omolawuk: 10:08am On Oct 07, 2009
My dear ChinenyeN,

My reason for differentiating between belief and knowledge or fact is important as evidenced by the recent comments by posters regarding the standards of God and the Bible. I am aware that these are dangerous waters to tread, but here goes!

Consider this: I believe that I am the child of my parents but can I be sure without a series of tests? I think not. Therefore my parentage is not necessarily a fact, only a belief which may or may not be factual.  In the same vein, your father believes that you are his son, but cannot in all honesty state that this is a fact. It is for this reason that Jewish society is matrilineal  so that you are classified as as Jew only of your mother is a jew. The status of the father is irrelevant.

If anyone wishes to believe in the Bible, the Koran, the Talmud, the Kama Sutra or any other belief structure, they must be free to do so, but this must never involve forced oppression, compulsive compliance and the disregard of minority views regarding
belief.  Religion and culture may or may not form the basis of our legal structure, but we should open our eyes and differentiate clearly between belief and fact.

To put this into perspective, a Rastafarian would claim to practice his religion by smoking marijuana (indian hemp, cannabis, igbo, wrap ), while we all know what fate  culture imposed on twins in Calabar and among the Yorubas.

If we are to be honest and precise,  the major religions practiced nowadays are as foreign as the frefrequently decried "western " practices, and there were ethnic, indigenous modes of worship in place long before the conquering Europeans and Arabs purloined the freedom of belief, Why don't we go back to those?
Re: Homosexaulity Should It Be Lagalize In Nigeria? by beneli(m): 12:24pm On Oct 07, 2009
@poster,

I don't think that we can honestly answer the question of whether Homosexuality should be legalized in Nigeria, without taking into consideration what one can call our own Cultural values. I know that this is a rather vague term, but things like taking care of our old folks who can't take care of themselves, respecting our elders, not french kissing in public etc would most likely tick the boxes.

'Democracy is, and always will be, flavoured by the 'cultural values' of those who practice it. And that is why the version practiced in the worlds largest 'democracy', India is most certainly different from the one you'd find in small democracies like Lichenstein etc. Culture is important and must never be ignored when we try to make those decisions that we think will make us to appear 'progressive' and 'democratic' in the eyes of those, whom we think are developed.

When we make the argument about 'consenting adults' , we should also bear in mind that a 21 year old brother having sex with his 18 year old sister is frowned upon even in the most 'democratic' of societies though they would certainly pass as 'consenting adults'.

With regards to the issue of the role of genetics and environment, there is currently no conclusive evidence of what is what when it comes to sexual preferences and behaviour. People have developed the habit of quoting scientific articles that sides with what they want to believe in, conforms with the expectations of their funders or is not politically incorrect at the time of publication!

Without doubt, as a nation we are lagging behind in so many spheres of human development but if we will define our progress by the yardsticks set by others, then we will most certainly continue to lag behind. Having said all that, my opinion is that the issue of legalizing (or not) homosexuality in Nigeria, should not really be among our list of priorities as a people at this point in our collective development, anyway.
Re: Homosexaulity Should It Be Lagalize In Nigeria? by xyuche: 12:39pm On Oct 07, 2009
Am proud of my country 9ja.Am proud of our culture as a nation.Please if you want homosexuality to be legalized, encourage the senator from your zone to move the motion in the House.Its a social ill and should not be practiced.
Re: Homosexaulity Should It Be Lagalize In Nigeria? by morpheus24: 1:22pm On Oct 07, 2009
SEFAGO:

A man marrying more than one wife is illegal because of the[i] consequences[/i] of doing so in society. Bigamy/polygamy causes a lot of problems, and I dont need to outline them- they are pretty obvious, now what is the consequence of homosexuality? of course apart from going to hell, which no one has ever been to anyways so why not take the risk grin

Your response is very hypocritical in regards polygamy as far as it causing problems in comparison to Homosexuality as causing no visible problems as you say. Please rething that response and you will see both issues create problems within societies whether you choose to admit it or not.
Re: Homosexaulity Should It Be Lagalize In Nigeria? by SEFAGO(m): 4:43pm On Oct 07, 2009
rethought, still no problem with homosexuality except that ppl get offended by it. Please tell me the consequences, i might be blind
Re: Homosexaulity Should It Be Lagalize In Nigeria? by morpheus24: 4:50pm On Oct 07, 2009
SEFAGO:

rethought, still no problem with homosexuality except that ppl get offended by it. Please tell me the consequences, i might be blind
You first , with Polygamy that is.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Okonjo-iweala, Saharareporters In War Of Words Over Nigerian Economy / PHOTO: First Female Governor In Nigeria Emerges / Labour Party To INEC: Ignore APC's Move To Postpone Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.