Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,002 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:21 AM

Why We Hate Nigeria So Much - By The Diasporians A.ka. Nigerians Abroad! - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why We Hate Nigeria So Much - By The Diasporians A.ka. Nigerians Abroad! (21643 Views)

Gov Ambode Asks Nigerians Abroad To Return. . .Lagosians Reply / I Hate Nigeria With A Passion / All Diasporians Know Nothing About Nigeria, They Make Me Laugh When They Argue. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why We Hate Nigeria So Much - By The Diasporians A.ka. Nigerians Abroad! by Beaf: 12:07am On Nov 03, 2009
Guk:

@Beaf, 25 of my post graduate years has been given totally to Nigeria, if thats not dying for 9ja, tell me what it is?? what has 9ja returned to me Nothing, but rowing against the tide.

@Kobojunkie, if the question is not necessary at this time, when will it ever be & when ever you feel its necessary, pls answer the question with reasons.

@Beaf, dont we too rise to levels that we lead & manage teams Way back in 2001, i had an interview for a job at Coventry, the interviewer was amazed that someone out of Africa was such a subject matter expert. I sat in a training in London 5 years ago & 2 Oyinbo participants at the end of the course, when asked what they were taking away from the course mentioned a particular methodology we developed in our office here in 9ja, Guess what, they will package it and come and sell in 9ja & Nigerians will pay $$$$ for it meanwhile it came out of Nigeria, so am saying in short is, (1) Disapora did not make me neither did 9ja, i chose to utilise the materials at my disposal to make life bearable for myself, so because you come from abroad doesnt necessarily turn you into a superior being. My worklife in England just reinforced my work ethics and practice & i cld therefore achieve a lot as planned.

Should we also just accept it that all Diasporans are Leaders and Managers of team & men because they crossed some border

Nigeria is an ever growing abyss. thats wot them Abike have failed to accept but wld rather go on an aimless journey. Pls do not be suprised if her committee decides to visit all the countries that we have Disaporans in, which in turn translates to estacode.

We r a pple without numbers who do not know how to rely on numbers. Even our population range is in the magnitude of tens of millions. Any developed nation thrives on stats. How else do u measure development. Yet we know not even how many we are - the basics.

I liken 9ja to be like one in a hole. Rather than trying to figure out how to get out of it, we are trying to figure out how to be comfortable in it even though the hole is dynamic in the fact that it is getting deeper

In 9ja, Children and adults who have no future, see no future and worse still, dream no future. What are a people without a vision, without a dream, without a goal.

SO, WHETHER U R DIASPORAN, OR LOCAL, U CANNOT FUNCTION IN AN ABYSS. Its that simple

25 years toiling in what you call an abyss is akin to dying over and over. But so is defending the "Abike's" and your green passport outside our shores, all the time holding a burning dream for a better country and your place in that journey.

The term "superior being" is too strong. Travelling gives experience that can't be bought, but there's also the reverse, that experience does not necessarily add to intelligence (it all depends on the individual).
Truth is, we are all Nigerians and there is no need to discriminate.

As you know, our govts hate stats and records (for very obvious reasons angry), so lets not even go there. Like you have rightly pointed out, it shouldn't be about individual wealth; but collective development. But that tends to be a missing bit in the Nigerian psyche (poverty destroys the soul).

Can I literally die for Nigeria? No, that depth of loyalty must be a two way thing.
Re: Why We Hate Nigeria So Much - By The Diasporians A.ka. Nigerians Abroad! by Princek12(m): 12:15am On Nov 03, 2009
Guk:

Nigerian Diaspora commission is simply trying to adopt the model in the Oil industry which is Crude Oil is taken from here; shipped abroad & brought back as Refined Products at Exorbitant price for which the govt did not contribute to the refining process,  so a Nigerian goes abroad & returns as PREMIUM motor spirt for which his development abroad was never contributed to by the Nigerian govt cheesy cheesy cheesy
Among many others, most of the innovative ideas, aesthetically pleasing projects, and major advances in Nigeria have been implemented by Nigerians in the diaspora who returned home to develop the country to bear semblance to the country in which they have resided. And whether you like it or not, traveling to the diaspora to learn  enlightens you and may make you a "premium motor spirit" with which you can develop your country. Not leaving the country will make you more likely to acquiesce to sufferings, to be more tolerant of obnoxious surroundings and behavior, all of which are behaviors that will make a local Nigerian less aggressive for immediate change, but these  obnoxious surroundings are extremely repugnant to the diaspora Nigerian who just returned home, for it is unbearable and becomes an extreme motivation for change.
Re: Why We Hate Nigeria So Much - By The Diasporians A.ka. Nigerians Abroad! by spoilt(f): 12:25am On Nov 03, 2009
After living here for so long Im now a spoilt brat. I want my things when I want them and how I want them and my California delivers big time. grin I love Naija and I visit often but Dam n!!!!!!!!!!!! Naija is such torture!!!
Re: Why We Hate Nigeria So Much - By The Diasporians A.ka. Nigerians Abroad! by KnowAll(m): 1:37am On Nov 03, 2009
Me I dont hate Nigeria oh, Why should I hate Nigeria, It is like a tadpole who thinks she is a fish, and one day saw a frog by the banks of the river only for her to abuse the frog saying " men u are very ugly" not knowing one day she will grow up to become a frog.

Nigerians are always travelling back and forth and role reversals happen every minute, hour, day, month and yearly. Some of my mates who have clocked 10 to 15 years in England have all gone back to Niaja, if u call them Diasporas they will fight you. Yet there are a lot of Nigerians who are in Nigeria at the moment who will in the next few days, months, or years join the Diaporas community so why call each other names or say u hate your country.

Political Diasporas that are now Nigerians who will not find it funny if you call them Diasporas are

Gbenga Daniels

Dimeji Bankole

James Ibori

Proffesor Iwu

Tinubu

Fani-Kayode

John Fashanu

Those who where Nigerians but now Diasporas

Ribadu

El- Rufai

Eratus Akingbola

Chinua Achebe
Re: Why We Hate Nigeria So Much - By The Diasporians A.ka. Nigerians Abroad! by ezeagu(m): 1:40am On Nov 03, 2009
KnowAll:

John Fashanu

He was a diasporan until the British did him waka! grin Then it was hello Nigeria!
Re: Why We Hate Nigeria So Much - By The Diasporians A.ka. Nigerians Abroad! by muffins(f): 1:42am On Nov 03, 2009
I don't hate Nigeria, I hate the greedy leaders from hell. angry angry
Re: Why We Hate Nigeria So Much - By The Diasporians A.ka. Nigerians Abroad! by ezeagu(m): 1:48am On Nov 03, 2009
muffins:

I don't hate Nigeria, I hate the greedy leaders from hell. angry angry

Who are bred by the Nigerian people. . . . . .
Re: Why We Hate Nigeria So Much - By The Diasporians A.ka. Nigerians Abroad! by muffins(f): 1:59am On Nov 03, 2009
^^The Nigerian people didn't breed the leaders, money bred them. cool
Re: Why We Hate Nigeria So Much - By The Diasporians A.ka. Nigerians Abroad! by Ndipe(m): 2:25am On Nov 03, 2009
I dont hate Nigeria, on the contrary, I love Nigeria very much. Though the infrastructures are lacking back home (electricity and water), honestly, Nigeria will always remain my home sweet home and even as of now, I nurse the idea of moving home for good. Aint kidding.
Re: Why We Hate Nigeria So Much - By The Diasporians A.ka. Nigerians Abroad! by ezeagu(m): 2:28am On Nov 03, 2009
muffins:

Lets keep telling ourselves that.
Re: Why We Hate Nigeria So Much - By The Diasporians A.ka. Nigerians Abroad! by Nobody: 3:00am On Nov 03, 2009
tpia.:

HUGE point

Sharaap jor! angry

Are you forming to belong to this group?
Better keep quiet or I will expose your black nyash right away. tongue
Re: Why We Hate Nigeria So Much - By The Diasporians A.ka. Nigerians Abroad! by babyme(f): 5:02am On Nov 03, 2009
ezeagu:

Who are bred by the Nigerian people. . . . . .
the kkk are bred by the americans, do u hate them
the talibans are bred by the parkistans, u hate all of them too
dont come here and blame the whole country for the bad people.
the zimbabwean govt is also very currupt, they have never had another leader,
so has the ugandans
u come here and compare infrastructures with places like america who has been for 200 and something years with a 40 something year old country,
imagine what america was in thier 40 years, how currupt were they, they were full of thieves and sleeve and so was every great country in the past, we might be arrogant and currupt but we will grow, even the americans see the tendencies,
Re: Why We Hate Nigeria So Much - By The Diasporians A.ka. Nigerians Abroad! by Kobojunkie: 5:05am On Nov 03, 2009
muffins:

Those you claim to hate did not come from another planet. They came from right there with mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces, wives., husbands, who are from right within our communities back there. How can money breed what it does not even KNOW? No be their papa, mama, brother, sister, pikin, wife, husband dey follow them chop the money majority of the time?
Re: Why We Hate Nigeria So Much - By The Diasporians A.ka. Nigerians Abroad! by Beaf: 5:14am On Nov 03, 2009
babyme:

the kkk are bred by the americans, do u hate them
the talibans are bred by the parkistans, u hate all of them too
dont come here and blame the whole country for the bad people.
the zimbabwean govt is also very currupt, they have never had another leader,
so has the ugandans
u come here and compare infrastructures with places like america who has been for 200 and something years with a 40 something year old country,
imagine what america was in thier 40 years, how currupt were they, they were full of thieves and sleeve and so was every great country in the past, we might be arrogant and currupt but we will grow, even the americans see the tendencies,

Which "tendencies"?

Singapore
Independence day: 31 August 1963

Nigeria
Independence day: 1 October 1960

No more excuses! We can do better.
Re: Why We Hate Nigeria So Much - By The Diasporians A.ka. Nigerians Abroad! by babyme(f): 6:03am On Nov 03, 2009
singapore
majority of workers chinese; already developed people
imigrant magority,chinese;yet again developed
population ;4.99milllion
nigerian;140million
singapore landmass;710.2km2
nigeria's;923,768km2
just like assuming lagos was nigeria,
Re: Why We Hate Nigeria So Much - By The Diasporians A.ka. Nigerians Abroad! by Beaf: 6:10am On Nov 03, 2009
babyme:

singapore
majority of workers chinese; already developed people shocked
imigrant magority,chinese;yet again developed shocked
population ;4.99milllion
nigerian;140million
singapore landmass;710.2km2
nigeria's;923,768km2
just like assuming lagos was nigeria,

China is a newly developed country. Up till today, neither the World Bank nor the IMF view China as developed http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developed_countries.

We have no excuses, everybody should get their heads down.
Re: Why We Hate Nigeria So Much - By The Diasporians A.ka. Nigerians Abroad! by Nobody: 6:16am On Nov 03, 2009
When one is exposed to better government and modernised way of thinking, why wnt one spite Nigeria?
Re: Why We Hate Nigeria So Much - By The Diasporians A.ka. Nigerians Abroad! by RichyBlacK(m): 6:28am On Nov 03, 2009
Nigerians, and their penchant for crass barbarism, are the major problem of Nigeria!
Re: Why We Hate Nigeria So Much - By The Diasporians A.ka. Nigerians Abroad! by babyme(f): 6:31am On Nov 03, 2009
Beaf:

China is a newly developed country. Up till today, neither the World Bank nor the IMF view China as developed http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developed_countries.

We have no excuses, everybody should get their heads down.
"THEY" have no excuse. . .the leaders. . . .but. .give us fiften years. . .that tyme wen they all be retired or better dead. . . .thats my excuse, u'll see,
in fifteen years tyme i can tell u i have no excuse. . . . if u think nigeria is hopless then this wouldnt be a hard thing to do, just fifteen years aint it, what can we possibly do. . . smiley
Re: Why We Hate Nigeria So Much - By The Diasporians A.ka. Nigerians Abroad! by naijaway(m): 6:43am On Nov 03, 2009
Beaf:

Which "tendencies"?

Singapore

Nigeria

Lol.  No more excuses on the real. police should be able to contain aggresions without bribery; politicians should on an annual basis get at most $80,000  a year up to $130,000 a year. Political standards should be a little high in terms of knowledge. Contracts should be awarded and followed up for various verifications; State governor works should be accountable no excuses, they should be able to work with a passion for their state which right now only fashola has that fire followed to a below average but fairly average performance of chime(enugu). Matter of fact, all the politicians need to step up on their patriotism of the nation and let it show in their selflessness, it will take years but there will be positive and willing energies. Tackle the issue of security training and equipments; power supply; cultism in campuses, lecturers pay, laws against cheating, (make it possible to write jamb twice or three times a year) it will differentiate serious from non serious individuals and help carve ways to strengthen the educational system beginning from nursery school; water etc. They are many more with 100s of pages trying to emphasis the issues, most things that we need in nigeria to be able to accomplish tasks are 50% common sense, 30% expertise, 20% accessories of a great nation eg religion, fairness, liberty, etc; How can they be a local govt chairman and still have a chief of the same place sometimes dragging power with the L.G chairman, this undermines accountability and increases suspicious, and it sometimes ends up ugly and more implicating surprises; Social security is 0 lets not go there, no valid identification on a wide scale.  EFCC should be built to become an equivalent of the FBI in naija. All these projects can create jobs for the masses. If someone from japan or europe or anywhere not west and east africa, they don't travel with huge loads even if its their first time in many years and this is definately not everybody but based on majority.  All the money in the national reserve should be spent now and spent wisely, there's no need having money in a reserve, it is meant for greater nations which we are trying to become in a unique way. Inspectors on infrastructure, mandatory training requirement for anyone doing a business with electronics, natural resources, and any nation or state wide stuffs.
  America actually came of real status in the early 1900s because before then she was viewed like smaller european nations or asian nations in terms of development. Many asian nations are a little older than us in terms of independence and we are the peers to many too so no excuses. Lets go there.
Re: Why We Hate Nigeria So Much - By The Diasporians A.ka. Nigerians Abroad! by Kobojunkie: 6:46am On Nov 03, 2009
babyme:

"THEY" have no excuse. . .the leaders. . . .but. .give us fiften years. . .that tyme wen they all be retired or better dead. . . .thats my excuse, u'll see,
in fifteen years tyme i can tell u i have no excuse. . . . if u think nigeria is hopless then this wouldnt be a hard thing to do, just fifteen years aint it, what can we possibly do. . . smiley

You really dream silly, don't you? So, it never occured to you that when the current leaders you fear die, they will likely be replaced by another batch from the same stock?
Re: Why We Hate Nigeria So Much - By The Diasporians A.ka. Nigerians Abroad! by babyme(f): 6:59am On Nov 03, 2009
Kobojunkie:

You really dream silly, don't you? So, it never occured to you that when the current leaders you fear die, they will likely be replaced by another batch from the same stock?
we would see wont we, if theres a way to prove something then why argue
Re: Why We Hate Nigeria So Much - By The Diasporians A.ka. Nigerians Abroad! by Kobojunkie: 7:04am On Nov 03, 2009
babyme:

we would see wont we, if theres a way to prove something then why argue

First off, I should have stated earlier that I am not one of those who believe Nigeria's situation is a hopeless one. I once postulated that if Nigerians were to rise up against those in leadership, that in less than 2 years, we would see a complete reversal in the way things are being run in that country. Now, on stating that, I should add that your idea sounds more like the COWARDS way of dealing with the problem. Problem is there is currently a move to replace the older looters with younger clones of themselves. If you expect all of them to be dead in 15 years, then I suggest you instead work on making sure you and yours will be alive then considering thousands had the same idea back some 20 years ago and many of them are no more.
Re: Why We Hate Nigeria So Much - By The Diasporians A.ka. Nigerians Abroad! by chic2pimp(m): 7:07am On Nov 03, 2009
Beaf:

Which "tendencies"?

Singapore

Nigeria

You are a clown for real grin grin. Nigeria's status is one funny shyte cheesy cheesy. Nah religion go kill us for that country sha undecided.
Re: Why We Hate Nigeria So Much - By The Diasporians A.ka. Nigerians Abroad! by Kobojunkie: 7:08am On Nov 03, 2009
chic2pimp:

You are a clown for real grin grin. Nigeria's status is one funny shyte cheesy cheesy. Nah religion go kill us for that country sha undecided.

The issue of religion never really came into play until after 1999. Before then, religion next to never really mattered much considering those in power were the millitary.
Re: Why We Hate Nigeria So Much - By The Diasporians A.ka. Nigerians Abroad! by cora: 7:32am On Nov 03, 2009
ya right,we dont hate nigeria at all.when i consider it ,i will always want to come back home where i wont be taged a second hand citizen.am at port eliz, in south africa,all whit,few blacks and men the facility is cool better than that of london,low crime rate,more food and no nepa to give you a fast click,but man i miss nigeria any time any day.so i for one love my country,just that there is a lot of mismanagement of resources and lack of maintainance which one day thru GODs grace will be taken care of.I LOVE NIGERIA, cheesy
Re: Why We Hate Nigeria So Much - By The Diasporians A.ka. Nigerians Abroad! by otokx(m): 7:59am On Nov 03, 2009
There is not much to love in Nigeria; the situation is very bad. Don't believe the propaganda you hear via the news.
Re: Why We Hate Nigeria So Much - By The Diasporians A.ka. Nigerians Abroad! by OneNaija(m): 8:19am On Nov 03, 2009
Those who hate Nigeria are fools forever. including UK deadthrow
Re: Why We Hate Nigeria So Much - By The Diasporians A.ka. Nigerians Abroad! by OmoAlex: 11:07am On Nov 03, 2009
All of una wey dey Yab ma country ehn!!!

Make i no hear say you wan come home for christmass oh !!!

Cos na den you go know say yabbing my country is a very expensive venture
Re: Why We Hate Nigeria So Much - By The Diasporians A.ka. Nigerians Abroad! by Nobody: 12:06pm On Nov 03, 2009
Always interesting to hear the challenge "come back home and contribute your quota." Truth is, people are not intersted in your "ideas" it's all "show me the money" or "what can you do about my personal situation."

When I left, at least people still understood compassion. If you helped the  less privileged, there was true appreciation of your effort no matter how small. Today, too many of these less privileged are looking for a way to rip you off. You give somebody a job for their livelihood and they are still trying to find ways to con you. Haba!!! the moral fabric is a lot thinner, it's almost as if the people have completely imbibed the mentality of the politicians - take as much as you can while you have the opportunity.

This home vs abroad debate where it concerns residency appears to be yet another tool to divide us while ignoring our problems. I would advise any young Nigerian out there to take a trip abroad if they have the opportunity, not because it will always be better overseas but because it opens your horizon, it shows you that all hope is not lost, it tells you that you can still dream and achieve.  Go out and see how the oyinbo household live with 2 vehicles and not 6 parked vehicles in their driveway. Go and learn that ostentatious display of wealth is not necessarily tasteful, sometimes it's just crass and crude and money is not God.

In the same vein, I hope that those Nigerians born abroad will have the opportunity to live here so that they can identify with this country and appreciate more the advantages their host countries offer them while they develop a vision to import it to this nation.

I read the posts of some of these Nigerians abroad and I feel the frustration, the bitterness in their words because this country could be so much better than this if not for the level of greed that exists.

The subject line of this thread is misleading, unfortunately, not everybody has the time to read through to understand what's going on here.
Re: Why We Hate Nigeria So Much - By The Diasporians A.ka. Nigerians Abroad! by Vavavoom(m): 12:45pm On Nov 03, 2009
The dilemma that is our lot- people or state, which way the divide?
I have listened to chaps in diaspora and the ''we-like-am-as-e-dey'' homers, and my belief has never been stronger that Nigeria is at the precipice of change. We are due one, change that benefits the majority of the populace like clamored for by our been-to bros dem and one that takes the cloak of denial from our e-go-beta bros dem.

Personally I don't believe the chaps in diaspora hate Nigeria, more like frustrated about basic indices of development which have remained stagnant over the years as a result of poor leadership. Indices they want to see changed in the positive direction. The thing is like most of them those holding us hostage are arguably non-homers, chaps who at one time or another have had the privilege to learn from the best outside our shores, wether in the military or as civilians. So what hope for change?  A breed who have gone outside, seen how it is done yet fail to replicate same in their homeland, blind to their greed. Greed allowed by the many docily religious who think it is in another's hand that the instrument of change has to come angry.

My view? Those in diaspora are lucky, they can afford *those who are there legally* to be in their respective adopted countries at an acceptable time. It wasn't that easy. People fought and died for whatever change they are enjoying-equality and justice for all and a right to freedom and happiness didn't happen because folks over there sat and wished, it happened cos there was need and people shed blood for it to be. This has to happen in Nigeria too as the greedy few only will love the status quo to continue. Reminds me of a simple Physics principle, that a body will continue to be in its present state of rest or if it is in motion will continue to move with a constant velocity unless a constraint brings about a shift in the established ''equilibrium''(read status quo). No one needs any reminding that Nigeria has been in 40 years at rest and that it is time we the stakeholders introduced whatever positive constraint we need to bring about change in the status quo. It is not a time for diaspora vs us embarassed It is a time when we should rally together with this instrument of change, NL and shift our expection into reality
Re: Why We Hate Nigeria So Much - By The Diasporians A.ka. Nigerians Abroad! by Nobody: 12:51pm On Nov 03, 2009
Bleep you all, who says Nigeria cannot be loved, Nigerians in diaspora do we have them on this site, tell 'em they are mad, all mad, and its a shame to them if they can't secure hope/faith for the lost, so that God will be justified to say, at least there is one who cares about this country, let me put a change to it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Saraki Replaces Ndume With Suleiman Nazif As INEC Committee Chairman / Group Asks Governor Obiano To Resign For Endorsing Buhari / Osinbajo Meets Dangote, ONE Campaign Team In Abuja - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.