Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:40 AM

The Magic Of Distance In Relationships - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / The Magic Of Distance In Relationships (6834 Views)

Most Distance Relationships Are Pure Scam. / Say The Magic “f-word” To Make Her Chase You / What Is The Ideal Age Gap If Age Really Matter In Relationships? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Magic Of Distance In Relationships by Nobody: 6:35pm On Dec 01, 2016
Mindfulness:
DarkRebel101,
you are so on point!

As the saying goes, too much familiarity breeds contempt. wink

Many thanks, buddy.

You can see I used the Die Stachelsweine parable because of you. Or did you think it was an innocent coincidence? grin
Re: The Magic Of Distance In Relationships by joseph1832(m): 6:37pm On Dec 01, 2016
^^^

1 Like

Re: The Magic Of Distance In Relationships by Nobody: 6:40pm On Dec 01, 2016
KissChrix:
This post just buttresses the fact that Absence makes the heart grow fonder

Nice job Op

Many, many thanks.
Re: The Magic Of Distance In Relationships by Nobody: 6:45pm On Dec 01, 2016
joseph1832:
Not necessarily. The goal is to always be together. Be it physically, spiritually or otherwise.

Communication is key.

Your goal. wink
Re: The Magic Of Distance In Relationships by joseph1832(m): 6:47pm On Dec 01, 2016
Mindfulness:

Your goal. wink
Then again, opinions have caused more harm than personal feelings. grin wink
Re: The Magic Of Distance In Relationships by Nobody: 6:49pm On Dec 01, 2016
joseph1832:
Then again, opinions have caused more harm than personal feelings. grin wink

Your goal is based on nothing else but a personal feeling of neediness. wink

3 Likes

Re: The Magic Of Distance In Relationships by joseph1832(m): 6:51pm On Dec 01, 2016
Mindfulness:

Your goal is based on nothing else but a personal feeling of neediness. wink
And yours is based on personal feeling of selfishness, right? wink
Re: The Magic Of Distance In Relationships by Nobody: 6:54pm On Dec 01, 2016
joseph1832:
And yours is based on personal feeling of selfishness, right? wink

And neediness is what? Altruistic? grin

Like I told you, not being able to give your partner some space is selfishness at its peak. wink

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Magic Of Distance In Relationships by joseph1832(m): 6:59pm On Dec 01, 2016
Mindfulness:

And neediness is what? Altruistic? grin

Like I told you, not being able to give your partner some space is selfishness at its peak. wink
Nope, neediness is sometimes clouded by selfishness, agreed.

Then again, when that partner accuse you of ignoring her just because you gave her the space she crave for is a valid eye opener. wink

As James Hardley Chase say, You Never Know With Women. wink
Re: The Magic Of Distance In Relationships by Nobody: 7:00pm On Dec 01, 2016
joseph1832:
Nope, neediness is sometimes always clouded by selfishness, agreed.

Then again, when that partner accuse you of ignoring her just because you gave her the space she crave for is a valid eye opener. wink

As James Hardley Chase say, You Never Know With Women. wink

Fixed. wink
Re: The Magic Of Distance In Relationships by joseph1832(m): 7:05pm On Dec 01, 2016
Mindfulness:

Fixed. wink
Kiss me and we're square, then again, always sound absolute, and absolutism isn't nice, pave way for narrow-mindedness. smiley
Re: The Magic Of Distance In Relationships by Nobody: 7:23pm On Dec 01, 2016
joseph1832:
Kiss me and we're square, then again, always sound absolute, and absolutism isn't nice, pave way for narrow-mindedness. smiley

I have often been accused of being an adherent of relativism on this forum. Today I am leaning toward absolutism and people are still not happy.
There is no pleasing everyone so I will stick to pleasing myself. cheesy grin
Re: The Magic Of Distance In Relationships by joseph1832(m): 7:26pm On Dec 01, 2016
Mindfulness:

I have often been accused of being an adherent of relativism on this forum. Today I am leaning toward absolutism and people are still not happy.
There is no pleasing everyone so I will stick to pleasing myself. cheesy grin
There again the selfish persona surface. And again, it's your world, you're king, you're queen, you should do what makes you happy. smiley
Re: The Magic Of Distance In Relationships by Nobody: 7:28pm On Dec 01, 2016
joseph1832:
There again the selfish persona surface. And again, it's your world, you're king, you're queen, you should do what makes you happy. smiley

Just like you when you refuse to give your partner space. wink smiley cheesy
Re: The Magic Of Distance In Relationships by Oahray: 7:37pm On Dec 01, 2016
Well-said op. A little distance CAN be a spice in thereabout any human relationship.

However, I agree with the lady that said that it depends on individual. Nearly every "rule" on relationships falls flat on its face if difference in personality is disregarded. You'd need to understand yourself, and work towards understanding your partner.

Some like to have their me-time regularly, and cannot bear the thought of being stuck with someone 24/7. For these, they need lots of space from time to time.

Some others get their energy from being around others as often as possible. In a romantic or marital relationship, these latter ones would feel abandoned when there isn't constant presence or feedback. For these, the few hours spent away from each other each day is enough.

Yeah, I'd like to call that distance 'space'. I think it's more fitting in the long run, as your write-up focuses on premarital relationships. What happens when they are married and now live together? Would married mates have to take weekly trips separate from each other to keep the fire burning?

In the end, whether or not distance makes the heart fonder depends on what you do when you are together. If it's the same boring monotony, even distance can't help that relationship. They would simply drift apart.

1 Like

Re: The Magic Of Distance In Relationships by joseph1832(m): 7:38pm On Dec 01, 2016
Mindfulness:

Just like you when you refuse to give your partner space. wink smiley cheesy

Then again, we're one of a kind, coming from different angles... smiley

Remember the law of magnetism? "Unlike poll attract". wink

1 Like

Re: The Magic Of Distance In Relationships by Nobody: 7:40pm On Dec 01, 2016
Oahray:
Well-said op. A little distance CAN be a spice in thereabout any human relationship.

However, I agree with the lady that said that it depends on individual. Nearly every "rule" on relationships falls flat on its face if difference in personality is disregarded. You'd need to understand yourself, and work towards understanding your partner.

Some like to have their me-time regularly, and cannot bear the thought of being stuck with someone 24/7. For these, they need lots of space from time to time.

Some others get their energy from being around others as often as possible. In a romantic or marital relationship, these latter ones would feel abandoned when there isn't constant presence or feedback. For these, the few hours spent away from each other each day is enough.

Yeah, I'd like to call that distance 'space'. I think it's more fitting in the long run, as your write-up focuses on premarital relationships. What happens when they are married and now live together? Would married mates have to take weekly trips separate from each other to keep the fire burning?

In the end, whether or not distance makes the heart fonder depends on what you do when you are together. If it's the same boring monotony, even distance can't help that relationship. They would simply drift apart.

When the two have a job and other obligations (children, aging parents, etc.), they will not see each other for more than a few hours every day and sometimes even less.
Re: The Magic Of Distance In Relationships by Nobody: 7:43pm On Dec 01, 2016
joseph1832:
Then again, we're one of a kind, coming from different angles... smiley

Remember the law of magnetism? "Unlike poll attract". wink

We are all of one kind, selfishly made. grin cheesy
But we were raised to think of it as something that must be fought so that people can manipulate us into doing something they want for selfish reasons. wink It's like saying, I am not selfish for expecting of you what I want but you are selfish if you do not give me what I selfishly want. grin

Am not sure if you are trying to flirt with me but I am happily taken. smiley
Re: The Magic Of Distance In Relationships by sweetilicious(f): 7:44pm On Dec 01, 2016
DarkRebel101:

It crashed because distance was not balanced with intimacy and closeness. The two must always work hand in glove.

It takes a great deal of maturity and forbearance to make a long-distance relationship work. I know some people who have done it successfully but I still don't think it's the ideal form of relationship. Long-distance relationships are studded with so many uncertainties and are very much subject to Murphy's Law which states that if there's even a fragment of chance that something can go wrong, then it would eventually go wrong.
Okay i get you.
Re: The Magic Of Distance In Relationships by Oahray: 7:45pm On Dec 01, 2016
Mindfulness:

When the two have a job and other obligations (children, aging parents, etc.), they will not see each other for more than a few hours every day and sometimes even less.
then there is no need bringing up the distance issue in premarital relationships. With the exception of live-in lovers, people dating see each other less often than married couples living together.
Re: The Magic Of Distance In Relationships by Oahray: 7:57pm On Dec 01, 2016
Mindfulness:

There is a need to bring the topic up because many people have been suffocated by clingy partners. cheesy

many... Not everyone. I only objected to the one-size-fit all approach the opening post took.

The suffocation is caused by personality differences. What is too much space for one isn't enough space for the other.
Re: The Magic Of Distance In Relationships by Nobody: 7:59pm On Dec 01, 2016
Oahray:
many... Not everyone. I only objected to the one-size-fit all approach the opening post took.

The suffocation is caused by personality differences. What is too much space for one isn't enough space for the other.

True.
Re: The Magic Of Distance In Relationships by Nobody: 8:03pm On Dec 01, 2016
You folks are derailing my thread.
Re: The Magic Of Distance In Relationships by Nobody: 8:03pm On Dec 01, 2016
DarkRebel101:
You folks are derailing my thread.

grin
Re: The Magic Of Distance In Relationships by joseph1832(m): 8:04pm On Dec 01, 2016
Mindfulness:

Thanks. smiley
Oh you're most welcome. Your mind is always an interesting read. It's rich in its own mindfulness. smiley
Re: The Magic Of Distance In Relationships by Nobody: 8:10pm On Dec 01, 2016
Oahray:

I think it's more fitting in the long run, as your write-up focuses on premarital relationships. What happens when they are married and now live together? Would married mates have to take weekly trips separate from each other to keep the fire burning?

I appreciate your input. You're right about my zeroing focus on only premarital relationships. This is so because I have first-hand experiences in that regard. I can't say this applies in marriages as well because I have no experience whatsoever in that station.

But I don't think a little distance in marriages is far-fetched. Couples do it all the time, howbeit they take a more subtle and modest approach.

Sometimes they don't even need to create distance as circumstances create the distance for them. Circumstances like work, children, etc.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ladies, This Is How Your Body Changes When You Start Having Sex / I Caught My Girlfriend Using Cucumber In The Bathroom Pls (advice) / How A Man Was Looking At A Ladys Backside At A Restaurant That Got People Talkin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.