Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,781 members, 7,820,731 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:24 PM

Will You Accept A Gift From An Ex? - Romance (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Will You Accept A Gift From An Ex? (18050 Views)

What She Got As Christmas Gift From Him - Pictured / (photos)... A Nairalander's Birthday Gift From His Girlfriend. / Would You Accept A Break Up Gift? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will You Accept A Gift From An Ex? by mamagee3(f): 12:25am On Nov 21, 2009
Hell to the no. angry angry
Re: Will You Accept A Gift From An Ex? by SeanT21(f): 4:11am On Nov 21, 2009
Definitely YES
Re: Will You Accept A Gift From An Ex? by yommys01(m): 4:28am On Nov 21, 2009
A gift from an ex ( ex is a man here)? Woman you have got to think again. I am a guy and I know 90% of us are always after something when buying gifts.

Watch out for his next move. If care is not taking, you will find yourself falling for him again with his gifts. Na guy vs girl, no be so?
Re: Will You Accept A Gift From An Ex? by ThoniaSlim(f): 5:18am On Nov 21, 2009
I had an ex call me up a couple of weeks ago telling me how he had a gift phone for me and all that. . .I told him thank you but didn't need it. . .

Friends or No friends I'm not accepting presents from an ex. . .that's called respecting my boo cus he deserves that respect. . .and I also wouldn't be happy if he goes taking presents from exs. . .So what I don't want him doing to me. . .I wouldn't do to him!
Re: Will You Accept A Gift From An Ex? by OgidiBoy(m): 5:22am On Nov 21, 2009
ThoniaSlim:

I had an ex call me up a couple of weeks ago telling me how he had a gift phone for me and all that. . .I told him thank you but didn't need it. . .

Friends or No friends I'm not accepting presents from an ex. . .that's called respecting my boo cus he deserves that respect. . .and I also wouldn't be happy if he goes taking presents from exs. . .So what I don't want him doing to me. . .I wouldn't do to him!

Very well said, btw I just checked out the new pic, very cool HOT cool as usual. Your boo is a very lucky guy kiss
Re: Will You Accept A Gift From An Ex? by Nobody: 5:22am On Nov 21, 2009
I concur, sexy pic
Re: Will You Accept A Gift From An Ex? by ThoniaSlim(f): 5:33am On Nov 21, 2009
Thank you. . . kiss
Re: Will You Accept A Gift From An Ex? by Beautymc(f): 6:22am On Nov 21, 2009
Some guys can be nasty. While in a r/ship, they 'll not care about u not to talk of given u a gift. But when the r/ship crashed, u see them roaming about with all sorts of gifts. I Mercy won't take that gift b'cos u are giving it for a purpose.
Re: Will You Accept A Gift From An Ex? by smasher1(m): 7:24am On Nov 21, 2009
I would be scared. Hope no poison or bad luck in it. I wont use the gift.
Re: Will You Accept A Gift From An Ex? by SisiKill1: 7:50am On Nov 21, 2009
Poison or bad luck?!!

Jeeeeedus!
Re: Will You Accept A Gift From An Ex? by Nwamama1: 9:19am On Nov 21, 2009
Once we are still in good term with each other, we are not quarreling, still friends, i don't mind accepting his/her gifts with open mind.

God bless.
Re: Will You Accept A Gift From An Ex? by mirababy: 9:28am On Nov 21, 2009
dont accept because, ROAD WEY PERSON DON PASS BEFORE NOR DEY HARD TO PASS AGAIN.its a words of an advice.
Re: Will You Accept A Gift From An Ex? by Tes2(m): 9:40am On Nov 21, 2009
Aint a problem if no strings are attached
Re: Will You Accept A Gift From An Ex? by bracelet: 9:45am On Nov 21, 2009
Ever heard of the GREEK gift?

Don't accept it. If u are in a new relationship, ever wonder what ur guy will think.

you know, walking up to him and telling your ex got u this?

If my partner accepts a gift from an ex, then the door to doubt is left wide open!
Re: Will You Accept A Gift From An Ex? by bracelet: 9:47am On Nov 21, 2009
There is always a STRING attached to everything we do.
Re: Will You Accept A Gift From An Ex? by crosstheshowboy(m): 10:22am On Nov 21, 2009
I sure would.
Re: Will You Accept A Gift From An Ex? by geniusbami(m): 2:25pm On Nov 21, 2009
Uju girl, this may sound weird from a guy buy if he's tasted ur pot before he's signed a life agreement to always give you 'cos anything he gives U is material, and maybe sometimes emotional support, but what U gave him is U! Ur most guarded part shocked shocked ! How do U quantify that, baby girl?

To make it easy for U, he said it's 'with no strings attached', what a license to take his gift at face value. Otherwise, U could have just told him 'I guess U're giving me these 'cos U think U owe me, and not 'cos U expect anything from me'. and if his response is in the affirmative, go on soun; it's urs to enjoy. grin grin grin !

If he thereafter comes back trying to pull a string, he is a trespasser, and should be given a trespasser's treatment, sandpaper his face and let him see stars in the daylight!!
Re: Will You Accept A Gift From An Ex? by Olivia52: 4:57pm On Nov 21, 2009
Well no strings attached u say.i'll definitely accept d gifts
Re: Will You Accept A Gift From An Ex? by Olivia52: 4:57pm On Nov 21, 2009
Re: Will You Accept A Gift From An Ex? by Olivia52: 4:58pm On Nov 21, 2009
Re: Will You Accept A Gift From An Ex? by rubi(f): 4:21am On Nov 22, 2009
A mans gift makes way for him
Re: Will You Accept A Gift From An Ex? by Nobody: 6:40am On Nov 22, 2009
my ex is getting me a tear rubber car next year,off course am taking it.were good friends ,he;s getting married soon and tells me all about his new chick.
am waiting for my gift when he comes back from his journey

1 Like

Re: Will You Accept A Gift From An Ex? by agathamari(f): 9:41am On Nov 22, 2009
oh hell no, i dont even believe in contact between exs yet alone gifts
Re: Will You Accept A Gift From An Ex? by alakee: 2:42pm On Nov 22, 2009
I dont think its wise to collect gifts from your EX.strings or no strings attached.ere ki laja nba eku se(what kind of friendship exist between a dog & a lion.
Most especially if you are in another relationship.please protect what you have.
Re: Will You Accept A Gift From An Ex? by steveunoma(f): 2:44pm On Nov 22, 2009
No, No, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
You are looking for trouble.
Stay clear or else it will bit you later!
Re: Will You Accept A Gift From An Ex? by TheSeeker(m): 12:12am On Nov 23, 2009
Uju, it's funny how you women open your mouth to yap that you're friends with your ex, which also makes me do nothing but wonder why you can't work on your relationship or why it was started in the first place. But I understand, not all relationships are meant to work, while some practically will or won't depending on the basics and basis of the relationship in itself.

Personally, I don't make friends with exes, so it'll be darn difficult to accept any gifts from them, but that's not to say they don't offer, of course they do but I don't accept them. Nevertheless, the kind of gift differs: if it's a birthday gift, you can accept it and you'll be fine in my books; if it's Christmas, it's all good, thanksgiving, that's acceptable; but tell me it's a regular gift because he thought of you? That's insane.

Someone said it's exposure of insecurity. . . too bad, people need to refine the use of certain English words these days and only if that person knows what insecurity means because all of a sudden when a man has got principles in a relationship, it suddenly has turned out to be insecurity. . . go back to the basics of relationships and review the rules and you can have a look at what insecurity means.

[Quote author=whitelexi]You can argue with that word "Enemy" for as long as u like, the bottomline is women just are used to collecting, men are more disciplined cos we're more into giving than taking.

You've stated your view and said your bf doesn't mind, fair enough for u. I've made my own point, stating clearly that i'd gladly leave my babe if she does the same thing - Men are different, some accept shit from women, others dont. . . Women will most def prefer those that accept shit from them, cos that affords them more freedom to act up. . . hmmm

Why do some men accept shit where others dont? Well, some men tend to take relationships as seriously as the eventual marriage - understandably so. . . Others see a relationship as an avenue to study the woman, and so it is taken a lot less seriously. Such men can break things off and feel no hurt or pain. . . That category is clearly where i belong!

I have never, and still will not accept trash, principles are simple to read but difficult to keep. . . You're either in or you're out, there's no in-between point. . . Its that simple. Cool[/quote]

You have stated my mind accurately. It's a pity how some women value gifts as if their lives depend on it, and with this principle, I tell you some women will want to see you as being bossy or overbearing. It doesn't even make sense to be close friends with your ex in this fragile world let alone accepting gifts. And the funniest thing is if you tell your girl you're not comfortable with her making close friends with her ex, she'll come off with this assumption that you don't trust her or whatnot and ask her, what ever happened to you not towing the line where you can't be trusted? Why not act in a trusted manner and see if you can't be believed? Act right and responsibly and your man will take you serious.

But like I have earlier said, there's nothing wrong if the gifts are mainly for some festive moments like Christmas, Halloween, Thanksgiving, New Year and all of that, but a regular gift? I'll just shut up and add it up to one of her shortcomings and when that day of reckoning comes, I'll pronounce it as part of her judgment.

1 Like

Re: Will You Accept A Gift From An Ex? by Winnergal(f): 12:35am On Nov 23, 2009
No, i would never do that . ,
Re: Will You Accept A Gift From An Ex? by djcrucifix(m): 4:44am On Nov 23, 2009
i will take it, i don't think there is a problem there
Re: Will You Accept A Gift From An Ex? by tRoOE(f): 8:32am On Nov 23, 2009
No i can not, it might send d wrong signal
Re: Will You Accept A Gift From An Ex? by platinumnk(f): 8:46am On Nov 23, 2009
@topic- well i gave an ex a gift before. We were still friends, and I was so happy he got a new phone I got him a bluetooth headseat to match it.

He was happy, but later he disrespected our friendship we had so I took it back grin grin grin grin

Some ex's you can be friends with, most of them you cannot, but the very very few rare ones I treat them like all my friends, you see something that would look nice, buy it and give it to them; no strings attached. cool
Re: Will You Accept A Gift From An Ex? by Nobody: 9:36am On Nov 23, 2009
TheSeeker:

Uju, it's funny how you women open your mouth to yap that you're friends with your ex, which also makes me do nothing but wonder why you can't work on your relationship or why it was started in the first place. But I understand, not all relationships are meant to work, while some practically will or won't depending on the basics and basis of the relationship in itself.

Personally, I don't make friends with exes, so it'll be darn difficult to accept any gifts from them, but that's not to say they don't offer, of course they do but I don't accept them. Nevertheless, the kind of gift differs: if it's a birthday gift, you can accept it and you'll be fine in my books; if it's Christmas, it's all good, thanksgiving, that's acceptable; but tell me it's a regular gift because he thought of you? That's insane.

Someone said it's exposure of insecurity. . . too bad, people need to refine the use of certain English words these days and only if that person knows what insecurity means because all of a sudden when a man has got principles in a relationship, it suddenly has turned out to be insecurity. . . go back to the basics of relationships and review the rules and you can have a look at what insecurity means.

You have stated my mind accurately. It's a pity how some women value gifts as if their lives depend on it, and with this principle, I tell you some women will want to see you as being bossy or overbearing. It doesn't even make sense to be close friends with your ex in this fragile world let alone accepting gifts. And the funniest thing is if you tell your girl you're not comfortable with her making close friends with her ex, she'll come off with this assumption that you don't trust her or whatnot and ask her, what ever happened to you not towing the line where you can't be trusted? Why not act in a trusted manner and see if you can't be believed? Act right and responsibly and your man will take you serious.

But like I have earlier said, there's nothing wrong if the gifts are mainly for some festive moments like Christmas, Halloween, Thanksgiving, New Year and all of that, but a regular gift? I'll just shut up and add it up to one of her shortcomings and when that day of reckoning comes, I'll pronounce it as part of her judgment.

OK first of all, I wasnt 'yapping'. I think I stated it in clear and precisie words. I am friends with my ex and seriously, I dont see why that should be an issue. Like you said, not all relationships are meant to work . . not all romances lead to marriage. I beleive that what we shared was beyond romance and just because it cant go on dosen't mean I have to become strangers with him.

Honestly, I dont give a damn about you do 'personally' with your exes. I have my reasons why I need to remain friends with him and I think my BF should understand that. If he dosen't want to, then I dont think I want to be with him! Yes, it's serious!

He decided to buy me a gift, for a very good reason . . I accepted it not because I am gift-hungry . . but because it was from him! I've turned down a number of gifts, but I can't turn down one from him! And if I decide to buy him one too, I wont even hesitate about it!

I opened this thread because I started wondering if I did right. But after thinking about it, now more than ever, I have no regerets!

Yes, people value gifts (not just women) not because their lives depended on it, but because it's good to know that someone cared enough to bother.

I'm not surprised u decided to take sides with Lexi on this but I think I deserve a little credit to know when my relationships, friendships and associations is likely to put me into trouble. Despite what you guys think, people are not always as scheming and inconsiderate as you imagined them to be. If my BF knows me well enough then he would trust me. If he dosent, well . . . I dont need to overstress the fact that I dont need to be with such a person!

My word means a lot to me and yours should too. If I'm dating you and you have a r/ship with your ex and you tell me I dont have to worry about it . . . I'll beleive you. Because I'd expect the same trust if the tables were turned. If you lied about it, then dont you think you are the one with the problem We are all adults and we have a right to decide who to make friends with, if it means that much to me, I expect my so-called BF to understand!
Re: Will You Accept A Gift From An Ex? by platinumnk(f): 9:48am On Nov 23, 2009
Ujujoan:

OK first of all, I wasnt 'yapping'. I think I stated it in clear and precisie words. I am friends with my ex and seriously, I dont see why that should be an issue. Like you said, not all relationships are meant to work . . not all romances lead to marriage. I beleive that what we shared was beyond romance and just because it cant go on dosen't mean I have to become strangers with him.

Honestly, I dont give a damn about you do 'personally' with your exes. I have my reasons why I need to remain friends with him and I think my BF should understand that. If he dosen't want to, then I dont think I want to be with him! Yes, it's serious!

He decided to buy me a gift, for a very good reason . . I accepted it not because I am gift-hungry . . but because it was from him! I've turned down a number of gifts, but I can't turn down one from him! And if I decide to buy him one too, I wont even hesitate about it!

I opened this thread because I started wondering if I did right. But after thinking about it, now more than ever, I have no regerets!

Yes, people value gifts (not just women) not because their lives depended on it, but because it's good to know that someone cared enough to bother.

I'm not surprised u decided to take sides with Lexi on this but I think I deserve a little credit to know when my relationships, friendships and associations is likely to put me into trouble. Despite what you guys think, people are not always as scheming and inconsiderate as you imagined them to be. If my BF knows me well enough then he would trust me. If he dosent, well . . . I dont need to overstress the fact that I dont need to be with such a person!

My word means a lot to me and yours should too. If I'm dating you and you have a r/ship with your ex and you tell me I dont have to worry about it . . . I'll beleive you. Because I'd expect the same trust if the tables were turned. If you lied about it, then dont you think you are the one with the problem We are all adults and we have a right to decide who to make friends with, if it means that much to me, I expect my so-called BF to understand!

+1 Highlighted my Favorites

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Which Category Do You Fall In? / Why Do Almost All Girls Like Handsome Guys? / Igbo Women Are Too Demanding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.