Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,902 members, 7,814,060 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:37 AM

Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. (17579 Views)

Gun shots At Slaughter Trans Amadi, PH? / GEJ Is A Good Man, But Buhari Is A Better Leader -Biafran Army Captain Leo Amadi / Ex-gov Amadi Ikwechegh Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by bawomolo(m): 1:53am On Nov 28, 2009
THE-AMAKA:

should i be pro naija and lie to myself by saying i can eating meat like that?
im sure the most patriotic ones wont even say they can eat that. so what gives?
i dont think that has anything to do with pro naija or pro yankee or whatever.

but you are the same poster who doesn't hesitate other posters as self-hating and coons.  on one end, you have this pro-nigerian exterior, on another end you enjoy the best the west has to offer.   It just seems a bit strange to me. Kinda like an afrocentrist who celebrates christmas

I do agree though, those pictures are disgusting.
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by vislabraye(m): 2:06am On Nov 28, 2009
Since it is goat or beef, you wouldn't have problem. Wash it very well and cook till tender.

But if an pig; add all the salt in this world and cook in an inferno,
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by davidif: 2:47am On Nov 28, 2009
Naija meat is much better than yanki meat that can cause cancer. At least, this meat, when you thoroughly wash it, it would be healthy, KFC's own will give you cancer.
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by Beaf: 3:42am On Nov 28, 2009
davidif:

Naija meat is much better than yanki meat that can cause cancer. At least, this meat, when you thoroughly wash it, it would be healthy, KFC's own will give you cancer.

How do you wash out the carcinogens and other harmful emmissions from the tires used as fuel to burn the meat?
There is no excuse not to have standards.
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by THEAMAKA3(f): 4:01am On Nov 28, 2009
wait, wait, wait.
are you telling me Nigerians dont celebrate Christmas? since when? undecided
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by bawomolo(m): 4:31am On Nov 28, 2009
THE-AMAKA:

wait, wait, wait.
are you telling me Nigerians dont celebrate Christmas? since when? undecided

you do know the meaning of an afrocentrist right?
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by THEAMAKA3(f): 4:32am On Nov 28, 2009
i do, but that seems like a bad example.
whatever though.
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by bawomolo(m): 5:21am On Nov 28, 2009
THE-AMAKA:

i do, but that seems like a bad example.
whatever though.

afrocentrists celebrate kwanzaa and not christmas.

anyway i would let this go.
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by THEAMAKA3(f): 5:22am On Nov 28, 2009
whatever.
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by poske(m): 6:17am On Nov 28, 2009
Slaughter Market P.H bibliography   grin  grin grin
Guys i understand you, the poster has done real justice by photoshoping the images, if i edited any picture from an arbartour(slaughter) in the west US or U.K with a chain hacksaw on me and blood covering my white overall and children sneezing swinflu around, it will be by far worse than this.  I have lived down the road from this place for over 30years, and eaten meat from there, let me tell you this market is actually for rich people ! poor/middle class people dont come here to buy meat why! they buy from mini-arbatours that have bought here cos its more convenient for them. Rich people am sure including dealers and even the Governor want the fresh stuff, so they go to where the trucks/train arrive from the North hence the hectic situation you see. Each cow u see there will pay your rent in Newyork(newjersey) for 1mth cheesy or more do the maths. Truck load of cows/rams/goats arrive at location every day.

This market has evolved over so many years, likewise Govt has intervened so many times by marking out stalls building concrete slabs for meet cutting e.t.c This is an open air Arbartour so what do u expect, also there is opportunity there for microfinance companies to increase the networth of the dealers there. A beautiful bridge with  double footpaths on it, was opened next to the market envisioned by the local town "Woji" Chief Eke 1983 (This chief had a White horse and an Eagle in his palace we used to feed it with lizards cheesy)and commisioned by ex-president Obasanjo 2003. The poster also avoided that shOt which is a major land mark.

The only thing that can be done will be to stop open air slaughter but you are missing something, where is the electricity to store the meet hence it must be taken straight away "kai mallam". @poster please can u show me where they are burning meat b4 selling on tires here, people just talk anyhow tongue. They only burn what is not going to be eaten/sold as a sanitation exercise, that is how they clean up the place. And when you come back the next day the whole place is as fresh as you can ever imagine. I think the west should learn how to keep foot and mouth DISEASE out of their food chain. Instead of recycling dead cacus meat back to cows to eat as cowfeed.

Yes the Govt needs to do more by covering the entire area with concrete slabs and gullies. Providing constant electricity for coldrooms, health and safety hygiene awareness programms. No doubt but remember that most of the meat you see there are 99.9% healthier than anything you will see in the west. I was in Scotland during the foot and mouth  disease, i am telling you, no body will tell u to run back to Africa WHERE you are guranteed the organic status of the meet you eat.  They where digging mass graves for cows. British beef was banned for years.

I worked in Mcdonalds/Bugerking as a student some of the burgers where not meat, they where bacteria that where cultivated and served as protein substitutes AkA burgers. dont say i told u  grin grin grin do ur research

My uncle married a white lady and she bought meat here for as long as i know up to today, all the Shell/ELF/Eni/Citibank expatriates from USA/EUROPE buy their meat from here. Mr photoshop-editor(poster) by the side of this slaughter market there is an indigenous Nigerian, building badges and 500man-offshore-boat-houses and assembling dredgers, atleast you should have showed us that, as a made in Nigeria something, how many hours did it take you to edith that photo.  

Anyways as always there is a recipe on how too cook meat bought from open air places see below. So please that is not the only source of protein in that town, there are also highsea trawlers that supply fresh fish and shrimps too, also the vegetables organic (gardeneggs,garlics,ornions,cabbages,gingers,dongoyaro e.t.c)  they sell there will burst any bloody disease day or night grin ha ha by Gods Grace ohhh am still standing. the only time i fell sick was when i licked a western made walls icecream so there u go, tongue
By the way it is common to see old people in that village Woji who leave up to 100yrs+ am not kidding many of them saw the first world war, smiley a few where coger soldiers in WW2, with pictures to prove, @ poster if you visit me anytime i will serve you a lovely babecued suyar (heated for 30mins to 1000F )  with ginger spice, tomatoes and onions and you can wash it down with a malt drink. Am telling you, you will change your post cheesy grin cheesy grin and sing along with the birds, cheesy cheesy
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by mayrho(m): 7:39am On Nov 28, 2009
When will we get it right
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by illusion2: 7:51am On Nov 28, 2009
poske,your attempts at embellishing the obvious is laudable.

No matter which way you look at it. . . .the situation is an eyesore,lets not grandstand,I beg. . . . .
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by birdman(m): 8:18am On Nov 28, 2009
For those of you expressing shock, if you eat at restaurants in the states, particularly chinese restaurants, you should know that the farms where they go kill the cows look exactly like this, I know because I have been to several, The ONLY difference is using tires to burn the animals (retarded), here they just use a flame torch.

Some of you have over aje buttered grin
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by oblo(m): 8:22am On Nov 28, 2009
We gree say e no hygienic but hay is anybody doing anything about it? U , ME,  hell no, You see we Naija ppl are more of we no send kinda sort. as inn anything goes!!, really, all of una don chop meat from that place, If u say lai lai, na lie u don chop but you no know, let me ask one question? U think say all dem big hotels for lagos ,port, abuja day import den carry slaughter dem cows demselves? Who sai!!!!! ko ko ko , Day all buy from that malam criss crossing that carcas with im dagger!!! We naijas are very slow to change, but then like someone mentioned even if dem build abbatoir Behind am up with state of the art equipment etc  I bet u d very next morning you will see dem malams rite ourtside doin wat day know how to do best!!! See left to me how u wan take get water ,light air recyclers etc in continous working order in such tushed up placec ? But i think its doable sha ooo, let me not sound too pessimistic, all we need is the dedication and determination to make some things work in naija!! Na we own!!! GBAM!!! shocked shocked shocked
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by comechop(m): 8:49am On Nov 28, 2009
Ajebuta full here sha o!!

Nna man, i tell you most of the pple shouting here, hissing and feeling revolted have eaten, are eating and will continue eating the MEAT no doubt!

Its scene looks disgusting no doubt, and is unacceptable, yes, but has it really directly killed any of us? My MAIN concern here is the use of tires to burn them, (and by the side, the child labor), but seriously, i wont lie that meat tastes soooo good with SUYA, in SOUP or with JOLLOF, no lie.

Yes those pics are terrible and all that, but na naija we dey o!

And all these ladies need to stop forming here on NL. Ya'll are the ones that will go there and batter w the traders, then you come on here and act like u've never since nothing like this before.

Naija pple are real hypocrites.

I miss naija sha. God dey.
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by Beaf: 9:00am On Nov 28, 2009
Some of the comments here are not too clever. How can we condone such?

Roasting meat on tires is both dangerous and stupid.

It is common knowledge that burning tires in the open is extremely harmful to human health and the natural environment. The fumes emitted are packed with the many toxic chemicals that tires contain (including volatile organic compounds such as benzene, metals such as lead, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons such as benzo(a)pyrene, and synthetic rubber components such as butadiene and styrene). Additionally, the chlorine content in tires leads to the creation of dioxins and furans (which are extremely toxic chemicals) when tires are burned

http://www.energyjustice.net/tires/

Yeah, Its in your meat baby! Eat and die slowly.
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by rasputinn(m): 9:21am On Nov 28, 2009
Beaf:

Roasting meat on tires is both dangerous and stupid.

Very true

Beaf:

Yeah, Its in your meat baby! Eat and die slowly.

Don't be sarcastic man,you're scaring me cos my hotel in PH serves meat too
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by THEAMAKA3(f): 9:23am On Nov 28, 2009
rasputinn:

Very true

LMAO!!!
but that made me think about something.
so the meat they serve in hotels and expensive restaurants nko come from these places?
shocked
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by azeezengr(m): 9:46am On Nov 28, 2009
Nothing dey happen-If u chop u go die if u no chop am u go die. Am sure Amaechi dey follow chop those meat
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by N101: 9:48am On Nov 28, 2009
I think some of you miss the point, and the Ajebota comments are unhelpful.

Are you telling me there is no way to create a slaughtering system in this place that doesn't have some kind of order?
Are you telling me between the LG and the Governor and whoever else they can't set up a system that doesn't require refrigeration?
Do you know how many markets exist like this that don't have refrigeration but manage to operate with some degree of efficiency?

The only people who should be walking through are those involved in the slaughter and the clean-up process, not some young girl with a crate of soft drinks her head.  Those men should not have to work breathing in that black billowing smoke at the same time.  That to me is where the ignorance lies. 

People being poor is not an excuse for expecting low standards and it doesn't mean they're stupid.  I'm sure if you ask these people they could come up with some very good and simple ideas to get their working environment functioning better. 

But then who cares about standards or expectations, so long as we get the end result, right?
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by Beaf: 9:49am On Nov 28, 2009
rasputinn:

Very true

Sarcastic?

Beaf: It is common knowledge that burning tires in the open is extremely harmful to human health and the natural environment. The fumes emitted are packed with the many toxic chemicals that tires contain (including volatile organic compounds such as benzene, metals such as lead, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons such as benzo(a)pyrene, and synthetic rubber components such as butadiene and styrene). Additionally, the chlorine content in tires leads to the creation of dioxins and furans (which are extremely toxic chemicals) when tires are burned

None of the chemicals above released into both the meat, air and soil by burning tires does the body any good, they are all extremly dangerous.

Dioxins and furans are the most toxic carcinogens known. Their job is to cause cancer, so next time you see your neighbour drop dead mysteriously. . . Know say no be winch kill am!
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by annyplenty(m): 10:09am On Nov 28, 2009
governor amaechi, please, do something quickly.
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by ATTAHDYE(m): 10:18am On Nov 28, 2009
I must confess that what i have seen is a little bit more than i expect to see. i think that this picture should be sent straight to gov. ameachi's personal e-mail box for him to do something about. i dont see any link btw oil exploration and personal cleanliness of a people. we have poor meat handling culture.
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by airzzee(m): 12:03pm On Nov 28, 2009

THE-AMAKA (f)
It's a party 'in the USA!'--Miley Cyrus

this is disgusting!!!!!
no person should have to eat meat that come from these disgusting places.
na wa ooooooooo
im sick.

THE-AMAKA, I CAN C U LIVE IN THE US. WHILE RETURNING THIS XMAS, BRING ENSURE YOU COME HOME WITH YOUR MEAT - THE QUANTITY THAT WILL LAST TILL U GO BACK. GOOD LUCK.
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by sammytb(m): 12:40pm On Nov 28, 2009
Naija 4 life, we will always be naija no matter wat,
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by mrofficial(m): 12:56pm On Nov 28, 2009
Chei!  sad
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by GeorgeD1(m): 1:18pm On Nov 28, 2009
this is a big disgrace! angry
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by hackney(m): 2:18pm On Nov 28, 2009
I can imagine the posibilities of blood related infections if the butchers have cuts.

Its not good enough by any standards (Naija or not) shocked shocked
It wouldnt be too hard to build slabs in a confined area with good disposal means for the by-products.
And roasting with Coal.
Rivers (oil) state can afford that surely.
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by DisGuy: 2:35pm On Nov 28, 2009
N101:

I think some of you miss the point, and the Ajebota comments are unhelpful.

Are you telling me there is no way to create a slaughtering system in this place that doesn't have some kind of order?
Are you telling me between the LG and the Governor and whoever else they can't set up a system that doesn't require refrigeration?
Do you know how many markets exist like this that don't have refrigeration but manage to operate with some degree of efficiency?

The only people who should be walking through are those involved in the slaughter and the clean-up process, not some young girl with a crate of soft drinks her head.  Those men should not have to work breathing in that black billowing smoke at the same time.  That to me is where the ignorance lies. 

People being poor is not an excuse for expecting low standards and it doesn't mean they're stupid.  I'm sure if you ask these people they could come up with some very good and simple ideas to get their working environment functioning better. 

But then who cares about standards or expectations, so long as we get the end result, right?

True

We can all sit here and say this meat didn't do me any harm but truth be told most of us see people die orwith terrible illness without associating it to things like these, these poor guys are working in conditions that are unhygienic and a big risk to their own health and the health of residents in the area considering the amount of waste going through the water system.
The problem is that people don't associate some unknown illness to open abattoirs

Early last year I know the Lagos state govt introduced some laws to correct things like this!
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by mrofficial(m): 2:55pm On Nov 28, 2009
Dis Guy:

True

We can all sit here and say this meat didn't do me any harm but truth be told most of us see people die orwith terrible illness without associating it to things like these, these poor guys are working in conditions that are unhygienic and a big risk to their own health and the health of residents in the area considering the amount of waste going through the water system.
The problem is that people don't associate some unknown illness to open abattoirs

Early last year I know the Lagos state govt introduced some laws to correct things like this!

True talk.

Lagos is polluted.

That's why you see people in the village live up to 150.

You wonder how they do it and what they eat.

Nowadays, we eat chemicals, yes! chemicals that bring deadly diseases to human.
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by ezeagu(m): 2:57pm On Nov 28, 2009
Beaf:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/201643_street_beef2_jpg94b456818a559854bcec5f091552dc21

There is no patriotism in eating meat prepared like this.
The patriotic thing to do is make sure such practices are abolished and people jailed.
[size=21pt]There is no excuse for this shame![/size]

The meat is eaten raw? Millions of people depend on these butchers for their meat and the same millions are not dying, I can see the level of Nigerian life experience certain people have. What you should say is that they should clean up.
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by DisGuy: 3:04pm On Nov 28, 2009
ezeagu:

PC rubbish, people jailed for what? The meat is eaten raw? Millions of people depend on these butchers for their meat and the same millions are not dying, I can see the level of Nigerian life experience certain people have.

Thats obviously because there are no studies to link these practises to unexplained deaths, illness, stunted growth, and many other we just take for granted

We know many people in nigeria that died from 'brief illness'

think about it, what will happen if better facilities are provided for these butchers will they earn less money? Or dont they deserve to work in a healthier cleaner environment? Will the residents lose out

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Abdulmumin Jibrin Allocates N4.1b Projects To His Constituency / PDP Blasts Buhari: You're Like Hitler, Tyrants Cover Up With Fighting Corruption / Protesters Block INEC Office In Akure Over Removal Of Eyitayo's Name (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.