Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,295 members, 7,839,450 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:28 PM

Lagos Live - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Live (6372 Views)

APC Governorship Campaign In Lagos: Live Pictures / PDP Governors Forum Interactive Session, Lagos, Live On NTA /AIT And Channels. / National Summit Dialogue In Lagos - Live (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Live by AloyEmeka6: 8:37pm On Nov 28, 2009
tpia.:

a normal human being doesnt go around accusing children of eating shit simply because they're poor.

You need help.

The video is there for you to see. Its a fact and not an allegation.

Don't forget to give a fish something for this christmas.

[img]http://.g./pagead/imgad?id=CI7sqYfJ1ZafAxDYBRhPMghs6c7cBY49Tw[/img]

Your poo can do wink wink
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 8:38pm On Nov 28, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

The video is there for you to see. Its a fact and not an allegation.

i went through that video two more times and didnt see what you said you saw. Maybe you're referring to another video you were watching at the same time where people were eating shit?

could be your hobby.
Re: Lagos Live by AloyEmeka6: 8:42pm On Nov 28, 2009
Check 0.40-0.44 mins in the video. Also, its not only the children feeding from the shit, their adults ate it too when they fetch the same water for consumption. That is disastrous my friend and only God knows why they don't have epidemic yet.

Remember to give a fish something this season
[img]http://.g./pagead/imgad?id=CI7sqYfJ1ZafAxDYBRhPMghs6c7cBY49Tw[/img]

Your poo can do.
Re: Lagos Live by Ibime(m): 8:45pm On Nov 28, 2009
The scene of people pooping in the river is one which is seen everyday in every riverine village in the Niger-Delta. It is a natural instinct for ribeirinhos to poop in the river, however, this particular place is overpopulated and one can easily imagine the kinds of diseases lurking in that waterfront. Same schizno is played out in various waterfronts in PH City.
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 8:52pm On Nov 28, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Check 0.40-0.44 mins in the video. Also, its not only the children feeding from the shit, their adults ate it too when they fetch the same water for consumption. That is disastrous my friend and only God knows why they don't have epidemic yet.

a baby was shown sitting on the bare ground and pulling a spoon handle out of his mouth.

To you, that translates as a four course meal of shit?

You've never heard of babies putting various objects in their mouths?

In this case, the children live in a slum/shanty town and yes, they're exposed to health risks but you dont have to insist they're eating shit as if their mum served it up for dinner. You have a very nasty and dirty mind.

The children were filmed while answering the call of nature in a public toilet. I'm sure if the video crew goes to your village they can also film people using the toilet.

The kettle was for clean up afterwards- meaning they wash their bums with water. The woman washing her bowl in the water was wrong, since there could be any manner of things in that lagoon and the water she used was quite obviously dirty.

Their outhouse is actually cleaner than many pit latrines across Nigeria, but if the water isnt flowing away, and they're having epidemics, then something should be done by both their community leaders and the govt.
Re: Lagos Live by AloyEmeka6: 8:54pm On Nov 28, 2009
How do they get drinking and cooking water if not that lagoon?.
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 8:57pm On Nov 28, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

How do they get drinking and cooking water if not that lagoon?.

where do the sawmills get their own water from?

if there are industries there making a profit, then they should also be held accountable and forced to contribute to the place's development.
Re: Lagos Live by Kobojunkie: 9:05pm On Nov 28, 2009
tpia.:

where do the sawmills get their own water from?

if there are industries there making a profit, then they should also be held accountable and forced to contribute to the place's development.

WHy is it now the place of the industries to provide the people in the area water? Why should they be held accountable for this? Why? Does having a home business then mean I am accountable for the maintainance of the property?
Re: Lagos Live by AloyEmeka6: 9:08pm On Nov 28, 2009
Kobojunkie:

WHy is it now the place of the industries to provide the people in the area water? Why should they be held accountable for this? Why? Does having a home business  then mean I am accountable for the maintainance of the property?

If they contribute to the contamination of the lagoon, I think they should be held responsible for water poisoning of those people living around there and death of aquatic animals. Industries should be the first to comply with environmental regulations. Shouldn't the indigenes of that area be suing them by now for poisoning their waters?
Re: Lagos Live by Kobojunkie: 9:11pm On Nov 28, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

[size=14pt]If [/size] they contribute to the contamination of the lagoon, I think they should be held responsible for water poisoning of those people living around there and death of aquatic animals.

That is IF they do contribute. But holding them accountable for it all, even when they may not even contribute does not make any sense, in my opinion.

Aloy~Emeka:

Shouldn't the indigenes of that area be suing them by now?
Have the same indigenes sued the government for ignoring them for decades? Have they successfully sued each other for the waste they dump in the same river for generation after generation?
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 9:15pm On Nov 28, 2009
Kobojunkie:

WHy is it now the place of the industries to provide the people in the area water? Why should they be held accountable for this? Why? Does having a home business  then mean I am accountable for the maintainance of the property?

yes, depending on your liability and how much income you make.

the industries can either make an attempt to provide clean water for their workers (and by extension, the workers' families) or lobby the govt for overall improved living conditions.

I assume they're making a lot of money there.
Re: Lagos Live by AloyEmeka6: 9:22pm On Nov 28, 2009
tpia.:

the industries can either make an attempt to provide clean water for their workers (and by extension, the workers' families) or lobby the govt for overall improved living conditions.

In most cases, the top staff in those industries drive across country to work. They rarely live around there and who will be living in that slum with a bank account stuffed with millions?
Re: Lagos Live by AloyEmeka6: 9:24pm On Nov 28, 2009
Kobojunkie:

That is IF they do contribute. But holding them accountable for it all, even when they may not even contribute does not make any sense, in my opinion.
Have the same indigenes sued the government for ignoring them for decades? Have they successfully sued each other for the waste they dump in the same river for generation after generation?

That is why they are illiterate besides, tort liability cases against the government in Nigeria amounts to nothing from my experience. If it amounts to something, the remaining residents of Odi should be suing the FG and OBJ for genocide.
Re: Lagos Live by transformR: 9:27pm On Nov 28, 2009
This is the longest debate I have ever seen over POO! undecided
Re: Lagos Live by Kobojunkie: 9:30pm On Nov 28, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

That is why they are illiterate besides, tort liability cases against the government in Nigeria amounts to nothing from my experience. If it amounts to something, the remaining residents of Odi should be suing the FG and OBJ for genocide.
That it rarely works is no reason why the fight for it to should stop. Odi ought to continue until it gets justice, no matter how long it takes. That is the way it works.  Ask the victims of the holocaust, and 911 victims who sued the Saudi nation. It does not happen overnight in all cases but when the group perseveres, something eventually happens.
Re: Lagos Live by Kobojunkie: 9:34pm On Nov 28, 2009
tpia.:

Ok. I still do not believe the industries in the area, many of which are run by those in the poor shacks, are liable for keeping the river clean for all. The industries cannot decide to do the work the people ought to, what next? They should vote on behalf of the people as well? What I am saying is cleaning up the river is the government’s job and it is not for companies to do that. Now, the government may decide to fine companies that pour waste into the river, but I don’t believe the government has a right to demand companies clean up rivers just cause.
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 9:36pm On Nov 28, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

In most cases, the top staff in those industries drive across country to work. They rarely live around there and who will be living in that slum with a bank account stuffed with millions?

so you dont know there are millionaires in some slums?

The sawmills are mentioned on a lot of websites.

The place has/is a huge lumberyard.
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 9:39pm On Nov 28, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Ok. I still do not believe the industries in the area, many of which are run by those in the poor shacks, are liable for keeping the river clean for all. The industries cannot decide to do the work the people ought to, what next? They should vote on behalf of the people as well? What I am saying is cleaning up the river is the government’s job and it is not for companies to do that. Now, the government may decide to fine companies that pour waste into the river, but I don’t believe the government has a right to demand companies clean up rivers just cause.

whoever owns the industries is keeping a low profile, so dont assume things.

A company has a duty to have some basic workplace standards. The govt needs to make sure those are enforced, as well as the other things you listed.

and nothing wrong with industries using some of their profits to improve living conditions where they're based.
Re: Lagos Live by Kobojunkie: 9:50pm On Nov 28, 2009
tpia.:

whoever owns the industries is keeping a low profile, so dont assume things.
I didn’t make any assumptions here. In Makoko, some of the industry in the area ( from the garri mills, to fish smoking companies etc) are owned and run by people living in the shacks.

tpia.:

A company has a duty to have some basic workplace standards. The govt needs to make sure those are enforced, as well as the other things you listed.
and nothing wrong with industries using some of their profits to improve living conditions where they're based.
Work place, sure. But NOT clean up rivers for non-workers. That is NOT the duty of a the companies in the area. That still is government’s job.
Definitely nothing wrong with companies using their profits to improve the living condition of those in the community BUT companies SHOULD NOT be cajoled into taking such actions just because. If a company wants to, fine, but it is still government’s job to do this.
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 10:05pm On Nov 28, 2009
well, somebody needs to do something before an epidemic breaks out.

Especially if that water isnt flowing away.
Re: Lagos Live by Beaf: 10:10pm On Nov 28, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I didn’t make any assumptions here. In Makoko, some of the industry in the area ( from the garri mills, to fish smoking companies etc) are owned and run by people living in the shacks.
Work place, sure. But NOT clean up rivers for non-workers. That is NOT the duty of a the companies in the area. That still is government’s job.
Definitely nothing wrong with companies using their profits to improve the living condition of those in the community BUT companies SHOULD NOT be cajoled into taking such actions just because. If a company wants to, fine, but it is still government’s job to do this.

. . .Those folk are allowed to make garri and smoke shitty fish for others to eat? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked . . .In that environment?
Govt really needs to step in fast. No wonder we have dangerous foodstuff flooding the markets and killing people!
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 10:11pm On Nov 28, 2009
the fish is imported abeg.

Use google.
Re: Lagos Live by AloyEmeka6: 10:18pm On Nov 28, 2009
tpia.:

Lagoon is not a lake so the water flows away but it doesn't mean they are not at risk because it depends on the current besides, they drink the water which makes it more harzadous. The lagoon for sure will form another creek somewhere in west Africa where majority of the pathogens are deposited. The residents of that area may never know why they have poisoned waters forever and the irony of it is that they are more at risk than the people breeding the bacterias.
Re: Lagos Live by AloyEmeka6: 10:20pm On Nov 28, 2009
tpia.:

the fish is imported abeg.

Use google.

Are you saying that these fishermen don't sell their catch in Nigerian market?
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 10:22pm On Nov 28, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Lagoon is not a lake so the water flows away but it doesn't mean they are not at risk because it depends on the current besides, they drink the water which makes it more harzadous. The lagoon for sure will form another creek somewhere in west Africa where majority of the pathogens are deposited. The residents of that area may never know why they have poisoned waters forever and the irony of it is that they are more at risk than the people breeding the bacterias.

same applies to any body of water anywhere, including rivers.
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 10:24pm On Nov 28, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Are you saying that these fishermen don't sell their catch  in Nigerian  market?

I dont know how large their catch is, but obviously if it were anything above subsistence level they'd have moved out of the place.

They may be selling it in the Nigerian market but from the little i know of fishing, you often have to travel farther to catch commensurate numbers of fish. Its not everyday that lots of fish will just swim happily into your net.

some days there's no catch at all.

So dont just assume you're eating fish fertilized at close quarters. Your fish was probably fertilized by a distant human unknown to you. Then packaged and brought to you fresh.
Re: Lagos Live by Kobojunkie: 10:37pm On Nov 28, 2009
tpia.:

THIS particular problem started  over 50 years ago!
Re: Lagos Live by AloyEmeka6: 10:53pm On Nov 28, 2009
tpia.:

I dont know how large their catch is, but obviously if it were anything above subsistence level they'd have moved out of the place.

They may be selling it in the Nigerian market but from the little i know of fishing, you often have to travel farther to catch commensurate numbers of fish. Its not everyday that lots of fish will just swim happily into your net.

some days there's no catch at all.

So dont just assume you're eating fish fertilized at close quarters. Your fish was probably fertilized by a distant human unknown to you
. Then packaged and brought to you fresh.
You need to quit killing my appetite. Its absolutely rewarding to be vegetarian. embarassed embarassed
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 11:27pm On Nov 28, 2009
^^ yes, try going veggie

Kobojunkie:

THIS particular started back over 50 years ago!

have you checked and found absolutely nothing's been done since then?

since the 50 years you mentioned, the population of lagos has tripled. People kept pouring in from all corners and at accelerated speed.

with Nigeria's no maintenance culture, what do you expect?
Re: Lagos Live by Kobojunkie: 11:30pm On Nov 28, 2009
tpia.:

^^ yes, try going veggie
have you checked and found absolutely nothing's been done since then?
Not said that absolutely nothing has been done since then. Apparently not much has been done to ensure the basics are made available in these areas considering there is still no electricity, clean water source in many of these areas.

If anything, past administrations have treated these people as lepers to society. Forced Evictions practices have been popular on the most part, not a lot of infrastructural development projects( projects seen to the end) in these areas. That is why the problem has persisted for so long.
Re: Lagos Live by Radiant(f): 2:37pm On Nov 29, 2009
I'm sure people wouldn't have taken this news serious if there wasn't a video.

That "Chairman" needs to be sacked asap! What was he chattin
Re: Lagos Live by Kobojunkie: 2:47pm On Nov 29, 2009
I applaud the producers for providing video evidence to help get across their story. It is what is needed.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Chai See How A Ghanaian Finished Nigeria On Twitter / Kayode Ogundamisi Shares Picture Of Alleged IPOB Biafra Navy Seal / External Reserves Rise By $1.046bn In Less Than 1 Months

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.