Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,207 members, 7,839,110 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:56 PM

Lagos Live - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Live (6371 Views)

APC Governorship Campaign In Lagos: Live Pictures / PDP Governors Forum Interactive Session, Lagos, Live On NTA /AIT And Channels. / National Summit Dialogue In Lagos - Live (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 3:23am On Nov 28, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Do you honestly expect children that age  to be sane when they put anything they can lay their hands on into their mouth?.

^^ let it go abeg.

Children do NOT eat shit. stop peddling nonsense.
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 3:23am On Nov 28, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Here is a section from the article

I am not certain that a FORCED EVICTION amounts to relocation.

it amounts to what then?
Re: Lagos Live by AloyEmeka6: 3:24am On Nov 28, 2009
tpia.:

^^ let it go abeg.

Children do NOT eat shit. stop peddling nonsense.

What was the child in that video eating then?
Re: Lagos Live by Kobojunkie: 3:26am On Nov 28, 2009
tpia.:

it amounts to what then?

Not certain but I believe it is quite a LEAP to assume that FORCEFUL EVICTION of destitutes amounts to RELOCATION. We saw something similar in India a couple of months ago. Some of those living in the red light district where forcefully evicted, but no such thing as relocation offered. Now, many of them live with no shark or roof over their heads and their lot has gone from bad to worse.

So, your Damned if they do and Damned if they don't comment, only applies IF relocation was actually part of the reason for the forceful eviction, which I seriously doubt considering there seems no news of such a scheme.

I don't believe eviction is necessarily a good solution; sure, last resort but considering government has, for decades, turned a blind eye to the problem on the most part, I believe we ought to try to reach the people where they are now with, yes, the basics first and then evict after we decide that has failed.
Re: Lagos Live by Beaf: 3:28am On Nov 28, 2009
@tpia

This is from the same link you referred to;

This could be due to the fact that as Makoko is a self-governing community, the authorities rarely visit (which is also a contributing factor to the volatility of this subsistence community). the area can be accessed from the west by foot or by car, from the 3rd mainland bridge or via Lagos lagoon to the east.

http://makoko.org/aboutmakoko.html

The problem is not "immigrants".
Re: Lagos Live by babapupa: 3:31am On Nov 28, 2009
Beaf:

[size=27pt]Your father is an olodo[/size]

Kids sha, Stay out of discussions if you're not mentally and emotionally developed to engage.
Re: Lagos Live by Beaf: 3:33am On Nov 28, 2009
Conditions in Makoko are dire. Basic infrastructure is non-existent (water, sanitation and electricity) and indentured servantry is the norm.

Indentured servantry is a mild way of saying [b]slavery [/b]is practiced there as well.
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 3:33am On Nov 28, 2009
Beaf:

Indentured servantry is a mild way of saying [b]slavery [/b]is practiced there as well.

if you check closer to home, you'll find the same.
Re: Lagos Live by Beaf: 3:34am On Nov 28, 2009
babapupa:

Kids sha, Stay out of discussions if you're not mentally and emotionally developed to engage.

You reap what you sow. If you think you can dispence abuse for no reason, be ready for the result.
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 3:35am On Nov 28, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Not certain but I believe it is quite a LEAP to assume that FORCEFUL EVICTION of destitutes amounts to RELOCATION. We saw something similar in India a couple of months ago. Some of those living in the red light district where forcefully evicted, but no such thing as relocation offered. Now, many of them live with no shark or roof over their heads and their lot has gone from bad to worse.

So, your Damned if they do and Damned if they don't comment, only applies IF relocation was actually part of the reason for the forceful eviction, which I seriously doubt considering there seems no news of such a scheme.

I don't believe eviction is necessarily a good solution; sure, last resort but considering government has, for decades, turned a blind eye to the problem on the most part, I believe we ought to try to reach the people where they are now with, yes, the basics first and then evict after we decide that has failed.

Informal settlements in Makoko

The population of Lagos has increased thirty times over since 1950. In a city marked by great inequality, the rich live in areas separated from the rest of the population. The vast majority barely scrapes a living by working several different jobs. Many country people have come to Lagos hoping to find work and make their fortune. Buying a few planks and recycling other materials enables them to build a home, so the city has mushroomed as slums spread rapidly in the absence of urban planning. These shanties have no electricity or running water and can disappear as quickly as they are built when bulldozers cut swathes through the slums to clear land for buildings. Poverty and precariousness make crime a booming business in this notoriously unsafe but resourceful city.

http://lurgnetwork./2009/08/29/informal-settlements-in-makoko/
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 3:37am On Nov 28, 2009

Shanty Town

shanty town (also called a slum, squatter settlement, or favela) is a settlement (sometimes illegal or unauthorized) of impoverished people who live in improvised dwellings made from scrap materials: often plywood, corrugated metal, and sheets of plastic. Shanty towns, which are usually built on the periphery of cities, often do not have proper sanitation, electricity, or telephone services.
Shanty towns are mostly found in developing nations, or partially developed nations with an unequal distribution of wealth (or, on occasion, developed countries in a severe recession). In extreme cases, shanty towns have populations approaching that of a city. One billion people, one-sixth of the world's population, now live in shanty towns

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanty_town
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 3:38am On Nov 28, 2009
demographics of makoko

Makoko is a sprawling slum built on stilts within one of the most populous cities in Africa, where simple wood shacks serve as homes, churches and schools and the only transport is by canoe. Children easily navigate along narrow planks of wood over polluted waters while helping their families with the mornings catch. Makoko serves as a major source of fish in the district but has no access to regular electricity or proper sanitation. Many of the people who call Makoko home come from fishing villages along the coast looking for a better life but find that this is the only home Lagos has to offer.

http://www.janehahn.com/
Re: Lagos Live by Kobojunkie: 3:39am On Nov 28, 2009
That still does not imply RELOCATION was part of the reason for FORCED EVICTION @Tpia. Not sure I understand what you are getting at. The title of the report was

"Nigeria: Making the destitute homeless – forced evictions in Makoko, Lagos State"

http://www.amnesty.org/en/library/asset/AFR44/001/2006/en/e2c38c16-d46e-11dd-8743-d305bea2b2c7/afr440012006en.pdf
Re: Lagos Live by babapupa: 3:41am On Nov 28, 2009
Beaf:

You reap what you sow. If you think you can dispence abuse for no reason, be ready for the result.

How did we get from olodo to yabing parents? This has nothing to do with olodo, this is your regular childish behavior. It's really a shame that we have to deal with infantile and obnoxious attitude like yours.

Grow up a little for your own good,
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 3:44am On Nov 28, 2009
Kobojunkie:

That still does not imply RELOCATION was part of the reason for FORCED EVICTION @Tpia. Not sure I understand what you are getting at. The title of the report was

"Nigeria: Making the destitute homeless – forced evictions in Makoko, Lagos State"

http://www.amnesty.org/en/library/asset/AFR44/001/2006/en/e2c38c16-d46e-11dd-8743-d305bea2b2c7/afr440012006en.pdf

what was the reason for the forced evictions?
Re: Lagos Live by Beaf: 3:46am On Nov 28, 2009
babapupa:

How did we get from olodo to yabing parents? This has nothing to do with olodo, this is your regular childish behavior. It's really a shame that we have to deal with infantile and obnoxious attitude like yours.

Grow up a little for your own good,  

You first called me ode, then olodo when I didn't respond. On both occasions there was absolutely no reason for the abuse.

If you are not civil, you get what you get.
Re: Lagos Live by Kobojunkie: 3:48am On Nov 28, 2009
tpia.:

what was the reason for the forced evictions?

That reason has, according to your own post there, existed since the 1950s. It is a bit too late to start with FORCED EVICTIONS.
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 3:49am On Nov 28, 2009
For those who want to help (not saying this means the govt should do nothing)

[img]http://www.genevaglobal.com/images/content/fund_beautiful_tree_education(250x171).jpg[/img]

Children from the slums of Makoko, Nigeria attend class at an affordable private school.

http://www.genevaglobal.com/funds-beautiful-tree-education.php
Re: Lagos Live by Beaf: 3:51am On Nov 28, 2009
The world bank has provided $450m for infrastructure development for nine of Lagos’s worst slums. Exactly how much has been allocated for Makoko is unknown.

. . .I wonder.
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 3:51am On Nov 28, 2009
Kobojunkie:

That reason has, according to your own post there, existed since the 1950s. It is a bit too late to start with FORCED EVICTIONS.

there's no way relocating them wont be painful.

The only compensation will be if they're provided with alternative accommodation while doing so.
Re: Lagos Live by AloyEmeka6: 3:56am On Nov 28, 2009
tpia.:

The only compensation will be if they're provided with alternative accommodation while doing so.

What is your main reason for relocating them?. Why not use that money to provide the needed amenities there which will also allow them keep their jobs as fishermen?. Why relocate them to Ikeja for example without providing them with a source of livelihood. Giving someone shelter will not solve all his problems and don't be surprised if they reject such offer next time you visit them with your UN philanthropists.
Re: Lagos Live by Kobojunkie: 3:57am On Nov 28, 2009
tpia.:

I am not in any way against Relocation at all. I am simply stating that we should not assume that the option of relocation has even been presented to these people.
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 4:01am On Nov 28, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

What is your main reason for relocating them?. Why not use that money to provide the needed amenities there which will also allow them keep their jobs as fishermen?. Why relocate them to Ikeja for example without providing them with a source of livelihood. Giving someone shelter will not solve all his problems and don't be surprised if they reject such offer next time you visit them with your UN philanthropists.

Shanty Town

shanty town (also called a slum, squatter settlement, or favela) is a settlement (sometimes illegal or unauthorized) of impoverished people who live in improvised dwellings made from scrap materials: often plywood, corrugated metal, and sheets of plastic. Shanty towns, which are usually built on the periphery of cities, often do not have proper sanitation, electricity, or telephone services.
Shanty towns are mostly found in developing nations, or partially developed nations with an unequal distribution of wealth (or, on occasion, developed countries in a severe recession). In extreme cases, shanty towns have populations approaching that of a city. One billion people, one-sixth of the world's population, now live in shanty towns

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanty_town
Re: Lagos Live by babapupa: 4:06am On Nov 28, 2009
Beaf:

You first called me ode, then olodo when I didn't respond. On both occasions there was absolutely no reason for the abuse.

If you are not civil, you get what you get.

Olodo and Ode are common and benign jabs on forums and I didn't say your father or mother is ode or olodo. I basically addressed beef, not beef's father or mother. Cursing parents does nothing but displays your own bankrupt value system and lousy upbringing.
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 4:36am On Nov 28, 2009
I think I saw sjeezy8 in one of those pix. . .
Re: Lagos Live by sjeezy8: 4:40am On Nov 28, 2009
Im sure you lived there before you entered yankee
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 4:56am On Nov 28, 2009
sjeezy8:

Im sure you lived there before you entered yankee

Of course I did. Whatz love that, got to do got to do with it.
Re: Lagos Live by AloyEmeka6: 6:34am On Nov 28, 2009
FL Gators:

I think I saw sjeezy8 in one of those pix. . .

Shouldn't that surprise you?. Did you also see his mother, tpia apportioning the areas in the lagoon that needs to be fertilized with shit? wink
Re: Lagos Live by Beaf: 11:16am On Nov 28, 2009
babapupa:

Olodo and Ode are common and benign jabs on forums and I didn't say your father or mother is ode or olodo. I basically addressed beef, not beef's father or mother. Cursing parents does nothing but displays your own bankrupt value system and lousy upbringing.

Benign?  shocked
You wouldn't greet your next door neighbour, "good morning ode" and when they don't reply, greet them with "good morning olodo" and expect a smile, would you?
Re: Lagos Live by ezeagu(m): 2:52pm On Nov 28, 2009
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 8:08pm On Nov 28, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Shouldn't that surprise you?. Did you also see his mother, tpia apportioning the areas in the lagoon that needs to be fertilized with shit? wink

a normal human being doesnt go around accusing children of eating shit simply because they're poor.

You need help.
Re: Lagos Live by babapupa: 8:36pm On Nov 28, 2009
Beaf:

Benign?  shocked
You wouldn't greet your next door neighbour, "good morning ode" and when they don't reply, greet them with "good morning olodo" and expect a smile, would you?

You're basically asserting your puerile sense of reasoning and lack of basic social skills and sound values. I know you have your kiddie ways, but you should be able to function without tantrums and emotional outbursts.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

America Is Now Waiting For Nigeria To Collapse! / EXCLUSIVE | You Are Not The National Leader Of APC, Buhari Downgrades Tinubu / PMB Sacks The Sports Minister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.