Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,163 members, 7,838,979 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 11:54 AM

Lagos Live - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Live (6370 Views)

APC Governorship Campaign In Lagos: Live Pictures / PDP Governors Forum Interactive Session, Lagos, Live On NTA /AIT And Channels. / National Summit Dialogue In Lagos - Live (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Live by AloyEmeka6: 12:41am On Nov 28, 2009
~Sauron~:

2nd world ke?
Nigeria is a developing nation and with the staggering population of Lagos State. . . . . .The video clip is not surprising.
You will find this in Mumbai, Bangkok, Jakarta and the favelas in Brazil.

Should we continue to measure ourselves with underdogs?. Why not compare us to Britain?
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 12:47am On Nov 28, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Shouldn't you have said this before instead of asking me about the shitting practices in my village?

my point is its a widespread problem and if it makes you happier let me ask if the reporter wouldnt find similar practices in her own village.

Hygiene and health education are needed, aside from building more toilets.
Re: Lagos Live by Beaf: 1:02am On Nov 28, 2009
tpia.:

my point is its a widespread problem and if it makes you happier let me ask if the reporter wouldnt find similar practices in her own village.

Hygiene and health education are needed, aside from building more toilets.

It is not widespread, where else do you know of people using the water they have passed faeces into to wash their dishes or bath in or catch fish for supper in? These people need to be saved and arguments that it is common practice only do harm to those innocent babies we saw in the video.
These folk are so poverty stricken that squalor has become a strategic part of their existence, they don't even bother going into the bushes, there was so much poo everywhere that the journalist had to walk carefully. Those folk desperately need to be saved from a subhuman existence.
Re: Lagos Live by AloyEmeka6: 1:10am On Nov 28, 2009
Beaf:

It is not widespread, where else do you know of people using the water they have passed faeces into to wash their dishes or bath in or catch fish for supper in? These people need to be saved and arguments that it is common practice only do harm to those innocent babies we saw in the video.
These folk are so poverty stricken that squalor has become a strategic part of their existence, they don't even bother going into the bushes, t[b]here was so much poo everywhere that the journalist had to walk carefully[/b]. Those folk desperately need to be saved from a subhuman existence.

I agree with you that its not widespread like tpia asserted but where did you see so much poo scattered everywhere in that video?
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 1:16am On Nov 28, 2009
Beaf:

These folk are so poverty stricken that squalor has become a strategic part of their existence, they don't even bother going into the bushes, there was so much poo everywhere that the journalist had to walk carefully. Those folk desperately need to be saved from a subhuman existence.

its most definitely a widespread problem, because you can find it elsewhere, not only in this community.

the people are riverine dwellers and they live on the water, i think. Anyway, the reporter went to film them in their toilet. Granted, the govt should build them toilets in a different location out of the public view.

the fishing part is bad, no doubt. And since people are falling sick from it something needs to be done.

Public urination, etc arent restricted to only one part of Nigeria. This place needs to be cleaned up, no doubt, but if the community leaders get themselves together, surely they can find a way of designating one particular spot for this kind of need, instead of people doing it all over the place. And fine any offender severely.

The health worker herself pointed out the place needs native health staff who can speak their language and explain things to them- she said she cant communicate since she doesnt speak their language.
Re: Lagos Live by sjeezy8: 1:31am On Nov 28, 2009
Dont mind beaf stupid fool as if most thirld world countries arent like that. As a young boy in the delta im sure he pissed in the water and still went fishing,bathing and drinking from it. ode boy

now hes acting like its not common foolish boy
Re: Lagos Live by AloyEmeka6: 1:33am On Nov 28, 2009
sjeezy8:

Dont mind beaf stupid fool as if most thirld world countries arent like that. As a young boy in the delta im sure he pissed in the water and still went fishing,bathing and drinking from it. ode boy
Pissing in the water is bad bit not as bad as pooping in water imho. I am almost certain hepatitis will be very common in that area.
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 1:35am On Nov 28, 2009
^^ its not uncommon for people who live by large bodies of water, in many parts of the world, to do all their bodily functions in the water.

the health risk is the problem here, not the rightness or wrongness of it.
Re: Lagos Live by sjeezy8: 1:36am On Nov 28, 2009
yes ohhh pooping and pssing in water is disgusting but is a common habit esp when their houes are built OVER water and not on land
Re: Lagos Live by AloyEmeka6: 1:37am On Nov 28, 2009
sjeezy8:

yes ohhh pooping and pssing in water is disgusting but is a common habit esp when their houes are built OVER water and not on land

How many people have you seen pooping inside the pacific ocean since you live in Yankee?
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 1:40am On Nov 28, 2009
^^ how many houses are built OVER THE WATER in yankee?

besides, one shoe does not fit all. Various problems, various solutions.

the issue is as much a people one as it is a govt one.
Re: Lagos Live by AloyEmeka6: 1:43am On Nov 28, 2009
What has building a house over the water got to do with them pooping inside the water?. Does it mean that one can poop on the freeway if the house is built over the freeway?
Re: Lagos Live by sjeezy8: 1:46am On Nov 28, 2009
I dont live on the west coastbut  building houses OVER public water is illegal and would probably be knocked down immediately.

but go to asia and other african countries it is common, thats why I said Lagos state is still in a developing country.
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 1:48am On Nov 28, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

What has building a house over the water got to do with them pooping inside the water?. Does it mean that one can poop on the freeway if the house is built over the freeway?

you're comparing apples and oranges.

These people live ON THE WATER.

you're asking if anyone poops in the water in yankee (silly question btw)

Yankee houses can be built close to water, not on the water.

If they had houses on the water like these people, then you could compare toilet facilities. Why not look for riverine villages in other countries as a yardstick.

at most, maybe the people should be relocated to dry land if the problem is too much to handle.

If the govt demolishes their houses now people will start shouting.
Re: Lagos Live by AloyEmeka6: 1:50am On Nov 28, 2009
sjeezy8:

I dont live on the west coastbut  building houses OVER public water is illegal and would probably be knocked down immediately.

but go to asia and other african countries it is common,
thats why I said Lagos state is still in a developing country.

Show me evidence of people pooping inside water rampantly in Asia and how their government ignored it. This kind of thing is left untouched only in Africa. This youtube video will not make the LG chairman do something . Imagine a place that has no school in this 21st century. No school, no electricity, no toilet, no nothing.
Re: Lagos Live by AloyEmeka6: 1:54am On Nov 28, 2009
tpia.:

you're comparing apples and oranges.

These people live ON THE WATER.

you're asking if anyone poops in the water in yankee (silly question btw)

Yankee houses can be built close to water, not on the water.

If they had houses on the water like these people, then you could compare toilet facilities. Why not look for riverine villages in other countries as a yardstick.

at most, maybe the people should be relocated to dry land if the problem is too much to handle.

So many people in the west build homes on the water and it comes with a mobile toilet.  Houses like these are very common in yankee, scandinavia and Japan. Have you been to Holland or Japan before?. Go there and see homes on top of water.

Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 1:55am On Nov 28, 2009
^^ schools you'd be here criticizing the schools for not being like yankee own.

Its not established that they dont have schools btw.

and like I pointed out before- the reporter interviewed them in their outhouse, which is a form of toilet. Note the structure where they were.

Granted the outhouse should be shielded from public view.

the other dirtiness filmed is simply bad habits and indiscipline. People should discipline themselves or else be fined heavily if they insist on not finding appropriate places to use.

If na jedijedi then is it all the time jedijedi dey catch person?
Re: Lagos Live by AloyEmeka6: 1:57am On Nov 28, 2009

Another house on water. It doesn't look like a mobile toilet where fishes are pooed upon. Let us stop using the R Kelly excuse to poo on other creatures. It is also unhealthy for those who plan to buy seafood in this country.
Re: Lagos Live by AloyEmeka6: 2:00am On Nov 28, 2009
tpia.:

and like I pointed out before- the reporter interviewed them in their outhouse, which is a form of toilet. Note the structure where they were.

the other dirtiness filmed is simply bad habits and indiscipline. People should discipline themselves or else be fined heavily if they insist on not finding appropriate places to use.

Do those kids look like they go to school to you?. They start from fishing kindergarten and develop from there besides, the illiterate woman in the video complained about lack of basic amenities like electricity, school, toilet etc. Watch it in full.
Re: Lagos Live by Beaf: 2:00am On Nov 28, 2009
sjeezy8:

now hes acting like its not common foolish boy

[size=14pt]Your father is a stupid fool and your mother pissed you into the water. Bastard.[/size] grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 2:01am On Nov 28, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

So many people in the west build homes on the water and it comes with a mobile toilet.  Houses like these are very common in yankee, scandinavia and Japan. Have you been to Holland or Japan before?. Go there and see homes on top of water.

this your site says its for photoshopped and doctored pictures. Find something better plz.

http://www.freakingnews.com/

and no, houses on stilts are NOT very common in yankee and scandinavia.

Dont know about Japan which in any case is a first world country and likewise Holland has had centuries of experience with dams, dikes and living on and in water.

Now, maybe Nigeria can get some technical know how from Holland and Venice, but in the meantime we also should stop doing certain things in public where we can be filmed while doing so.
Re: Lagos Live by Kobojunkie: 2:02am On Nov 28, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

She is telling the truth quite alright but the way the video is titled can be misleading. A foreigner can easily assume that is the normal protocol in Nigeria regarding toilet habits. What does that say about our education as a nation when these people are complaining that language barrier is a big problem for them to mingle with the civilized world?

A foreigner can assume? Are we so VAIN that it all has to boil down to what foreigners will assume? Why don't other countries do same before they expose situations in their countries they need help with? Why didn't India consider that first before allowing the guy who made SLUMDOG millionaire distribute his movie to the international market?

Why is it HER BUSINESS what this movie says about our so called education as a nation? Apparently she is more concerned about exposing the problem faced by these people more than you seem to be with that question of yours. In the name of protecting the name of your BELOVED NATION, shall we also deprive all of their RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH then? Shall we, as the famous HYPOCRITES we are known to be, pretend this problem only exists for those who deserve it rather than standing up for OUR FELLOW NIGERIANS?

What people complain of language barrier? you mean the world does not know that Nigerians can speak and read English? Or this an assumption we are so willing to make in order to explain away the reason why the world continues to slam the truth of our situation at us wherever we are found?
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 2:03am On Nov 28, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Do those kids look like they go to school to you?. They start from fishing kindergarten and develop from there besides, the illiterate woman in the video complained about lack of basic amenities like electricity, school, toilet etc. Watch it in full.

there's probably a school close by but in another community. Are there no more schools in the whole Lagos?

If they have a health center staffed with workers from outside, why shouldnt there be provisions for a school?
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 2:05am On Nov 28, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Another house on water. It doesn't look like a mobile toilet where fishes are pooed upon. Let us stop using the R Kelly excuse to poo on other creatures. It is also unhealthy for those who plan to buy seafood in this country.

this isnt a house- its a hotel as your link clearly says.

There are structures like this in lagos as well as other parts of Nigeria. The difference is riverine village is different from commercial venture.

FYI- pooing on fishes is bad, but i dont see why you should get a headache over it. The imported fish you buy from the market- do you know what they fed on.
Re: Lagos Live by AloyEmeka6: 2:05am On Nov 28, 2009
tpia.:

this your site says its for photoshopped and doctored pictures. Find something better plz.

http://www.freakingnews.com/

and no, houses on stilts are NOT very common in yankee and scandinavia.

Dont know about Japan which in any case is a first world country and likewise Holland has had centuries of experience with dams, dikes and living on and in water.

Now, maybe Nigeria can get some technical know how from Holland and Venice, but in the meantime we also should stop doing certain things in public where we can be filmed while doing so.

I have seen many houses built on water both within and outside Nigeria.
Re: Lagos Live by sjeezy8: 2:06am On Nov 28, 2009
no houses like those are NOT COMMON IN YANKEE.

By the the way a persons House is their personal business mind you, I said illegal houses built on water. People in yankee just dont go around buiding houses on water.
Kobojunkie:

A foreigner can assume? Are we so VAIN that it all has to boil down to what foreigners will assume? Why don't other countries do same before they expose situations in their countries they need help with? Why didn't India consider that first before allowing the guy who made SLUMDOG millionaire distribute his movie to the international market?

Why is it HER BUSINESS what this movie says about our so called education as a nation? Apparently she is more concerned about exposing the problem faced by these people more than you seem to be with that question of yours. In the name of protecting the name of your BELOVED NATION, shall we also deprive all of their RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH then? Shall we, as the famous HYPOCRITES we are known to be, pretend this problem only exists for those who deserve it rather than standing up for OUR FELLOW NIGERIANS?

What people complain of language barrier? you mean the world does not know that Nigerians can speak and read English? Or this an assumption we are so willing to make in order to explain away the reason why the world continues to slam the truth of our situation at us wherever we are found?

What are you saying? do you make sense any time shiot
Re: Lagos Live by Kobojunkie: 2:06am On Nov 28, 2009
tpia.:

How exactly are these people supposed to DISCIPLINE themselves? If you remember as far back as you can, in your Health Science class as a child ( if you attended any of our many Primary Schools back then), this was one of the issues addressed back then. Problem is, I don't remember a serious solution given for this particular case. Fast forward so many decades later, the problem persists and whole communications, and generations are still doing this. Is this a DISCIPLINE issue? Or are we running away with ourselves here trying to BLAME the poor people for it all here?
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 2:07am On Nov 28, 2009
Kobojunkie:

How exactly are these people supposed to DISCIPLINE themselves? If you remember as far back as you can, in your Health Science class as a child ( if you attended any of our many Primary Schools back then), this was one of the issues addressed back then. Problem is, I don't remember a serious solution given for this particular case. Fast forward so many decades later, the problem persists and whole communications, and generations are still doing this. Is this a DISCIPLINE issue? Or are we running away with ourselves here trying to BLAME the poor people for it all here?

do not defecate in public places isnt rocket science.

The govt or council's job here is to look out for anyone doing so and fine them. Since jailing would be too harsh.
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 2:08am On Nov 28, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

I have seen many houses built on water both within and outside Nigeria.

then post relevant pictures.

Not hotels or photoshop.
Re: Lagos Live by Kobojunkie: 2:09am On Nov 28, 2009
tpia.:

do not defecate in public places isnt rocket science.

Is that movie really about defecating in public places? I mean out in the west, you do have those mobile latrines. Is that also WRONG?
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 2:10am On Nov 28, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Is that movie really about defecating in public places? I mean out in the west, you do have those mobile latrines. Is that also WRONG?

nothing wrong with it.

the govt can set up mobile latrines for them.
Re: Lagos Live by sjeezy8: 2:11am On Nov 28, 2009
tpia.:

then post relevant pictures.

Not hotels or photoshop.

not even that sef

HE SHOULD POST ONE BUILT BY A COMMUNITY OF POOR PEOPLE. In yankee they will knock that shit down asap, unless you buy the whole river or lake which it is built over.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dickson - People Are Plotting To Destabilise Bayelsa / BREAKING NEWS: Jonathan Lowers Petrol Price By 10 Naira. / RE: Political mistake

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.