Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,024 members, 7,838,571 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:17 AM

Lagos Live - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Live (6369 Views)

APC Governorship Campaign In Lagos: Live Pictures / PDP Governors Forum Interactive Session, Lagos, Live On NTA /AIT And Channels. / National Summit Dialogue In Lagos - Live (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 2:51am On Nov 28, 2009
Beaf:

And eat from it and wash dishes in it? Please no!

I said they have regressed to the animal World (and will continue to say so), not that they are animals.

what's the difference?
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 2:53am On Nov 28, 2009
Venice

The buildings of Venice are constructed on closely spaced wood piles, which were imported from the mainland. (Under water, in the absence of oxygen, wood does not decay. It is petrified as a result of the constant flow of mineral-rich water around and through it, so that it becomes a stone-like structure.) The piles penetrate a softer layer of sand and mud until they reach the much harder layer of compressed clay. Wood for piles was cut in the most western part of today's Slovenia, resulting in the barren land in a region today called Kras, and in two regions of Croatia, Lika and Gorski kotar (resulting in the barren slopes of Velebit). Most of these piles are still intact after centuries of submersion. The foundations rest on the piles, and buildings of brick or stone sit above these footings. The buildings are often threatened by flood tides pushing in from the Adriatic between autumn and early spring.

Six hundred years ago, Venetians protected themselves from land-based attacks by diverting all the major rivers flowing into the lagoon and thus preventing sediment from filling the area around the city. This created an ever-deeper lagoon environment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venice

now, does anyone know if the water in the lagoons can sustain permanent structures in the same way as Venice? which has buildings that are thousands of years old.

at the time Venice was being built, most Nigerians were still native to the middle east, north Africa, congo or wherever else they orginally came from.
Re: Lagos Live by Kobojunkie: 2:54am On Nov 28, 2009
tpia.:

Venice

The buildings of Venice are constructed on closely spaced wood piles, which were imported from the mainland. (Under water, in the absence of oxygen, wood does not decay. It is petrified as a result of the constant flow of mineral-rich water around and through it, so that it becomes a stone-like structure.) The piles penetrate a softer layer of sand and mud until they reach the much harder layer of compressed clay. Wood for piles was cut in the most western part of today's Slovenia, resulting in the barren land in a region today called Kras, and in two regions of Croatia, Lika and Gorski kotar (resulting in the barren slopes of Velebit). Most of these piles are still intact after centuries of submersion. The foundations rest on the piles, and buildings of brick or stone sit above these footings. The buildings are often threatened by flood tides pushing in from the Adriatic between autumn and early spring.

Six hundred years ago, Venetians protected themselves from land-based attacks by diverting all the major rivers flowing into the lagoon and thus preventing sediment from filling the area around the city. This created an ever-deeper lagoon environment.

now, does anyone know if the water in the lagoons can sustain permanent structures in the same way as Venice? which has buildings that are thousands of years old.

Can I ask why this question here?
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 2:55am On Nov 28, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Can I ask why this question here?

someone made a Venice comparison?
Re: Lagos Live by Beaf: 2:58am On Nov 28, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Do you have constructive government presence in your own village?. Nigerians develop themselves with their resources and  hoping on their government is  a far cry. The max you can see is that local government chairman who tried to deny the reporters discoveries before her. Why should such a person offer any help?. May be he is the only educated person from that area and he is using that opportunity to enrich himself.

I have never seen anything remotely resembling this. But the circumstances in my village might differ radically from what is on display in this video. As for all the excuses given by the officials (LG and health), they were just disgraceful.

I can bet anybody that below all this will lie some financial fraud. That LG man needs to be investigated promptly.
Re: Lagos Live by AloyEmeka6: 3:00am On Nov 28, 2009
tpia.:

Venice

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venice

at the time Venice was being built, most Nigerians were still native to the middle east, north Africa, congo or wherever else they orginally came from.

I saw the video again and there is no need for Venice comparison because the houses are not built on water. The village is near the water and they built their poo house on the water instead. The environment is very dirty and it has nothing to do with the water. What of the shit scattered everywhere on land and those children eating them?. Is that also the effect of house on water?
Re: Lagos Live by babapupa: 3:01am On Nov 28, 2009
Aloy~Emeka[b]
Show me evidence of people pooping inside water rampantly in Asia and how their government ignored it.
[/b] This kind of thing is left untouched only in Africa. This youtube video will not make the LG chairman do something . Imagine a place that has no school in this 21st century. No school, no electricity, no toilet, no nothing.

River Ganges.

Re: Lagos Live by Beaf: 3:01am On Nov 28, 2009
[size=27pt]^ Ganges is not in Nigeria![/size]
Re: Lagos Live by AloyEmeka6: 3:02am On Nov 28, 2009
Kobojunkie:

This particular community is NO ISLAND. If you look real closely at the pictures, you will see the highrise buildings in the distance. Access to many of these communities is not just by water but also by land. Majidun is by the river and some of the houses on the river but access is by land on the most part. Same with river side communities in places like Ibeshe and even Makoko.

You are right; I watched the video again and discovered the place is somewhat urban and not isolated. Fashola needs to question the LG chairman and what he is doing with their allocation.
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 3:02am On Nov 28, 2009
Beaf:

Ganga. . . smoke smoke. . . crack. . . etc

@the pix

woww
Re: Lagos Live by Kobojunkie: 3:03am On Nov 28, 2009
[size=16pt]Race to save the Ganges[/size]

The BBC's Chris Morris travels to the holy Indian city of Varanasi to find out why the Ganges river is so polluted - and if it can be saved.

As night falls on the banks of the mighty Ganges, Hindu priests are praying to the river. Incense drifts through the air, mingling with the sound of bells and drums.

In the distance, on another of Varanasi's famous ghats, bodies are being burnt on funeral pyres. Dying in this city is particularly auspicious - it ensures that the soul is released from an endless cycle.

So for Hindus this is the holy of holies - the river is the embodiment of the goddess, Mother Ganges. But the water itself is absolutely filthy.

"It's not really fit for anything, even bathing," admits one of the priests, Vivek Sharma. "If it keeps getting polluted it's going to vanish in the next few years."

In the harsh light of day, scientists from the Swachcha Ganga (clean Ganges) laboratory try to confirm just how bad it is. They test water quality every day, and the news isn't good.

The project manager, RK Mishra, has been working here for nearly 20 years. And every year, he says, it gets worse and worse.

"The problem in Varanasi is raw human sewage being pumped straight into the Ganges," he says. "Nothing has been done to change things for the better."

And if that carries on?

"Then the river will become dead," he concludes. "It won't be here for the people."

'Depressing'

The Indian government first announced a plan to clean up the river way back in 1986. But success has proven elusive.

"Is the Ganges cleaner than it was?" Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh said in parliament recently. "The answer is a depressing 'no'."

Poor implementation and corruption have bedevilled efforts to save India's most important river. Now the government says it intends to spend billions of dollars over the next decade to make a decisive difference.

"No untreated industrial effluent and municipal sewage will be allowed to flow in the river after 2020," Mr Ramesh announced last month, following the first meeting of the newly formed National Ganga River Basin Authority.

It could be the last chance.

Quite apart from the central spiritual role it plays in Indian life, hundreds of millions of people depend on the river's water for domestic and agricultural use.

Fishermen who live on the outskirts of Varanasi say they have seen the Ganges changing before their eyes.

Bablu Sahni has been casting a net from his boat since he was a boy. Now, he complains, there is less water, fewer fish and more pollution.

"Our livelihood is at stake," he says bluntly as we drift down the river.

Keenly aware

"We used to get a huge catch. But now we're only just surviving, and in the future our children are going to suffer. Without fishing we're doomed."

Part of the campaign to save the Ganges is raising awareness among the next generation.

Environmental science is now supposed to be a compulsory subject in every school.

On the leafy campus of the Rajghat Besant school, just above the river banks, students seem keenly aware of the challenges they face.

"The river has shrunk," Martha says, "It has moved away from the city towards the other side. The number of islands is increasing and there are less species than there used to be.

"One of the problems is that politicians are very rich in India so they don't face any water shortage," Srijan argues.

"Politicians should be poor people so they face all these issues and act on them."

"We just can't blame politicians," Rupal replies. "Everyone has to do something for themselves."

"We're still developing," Ishita says, "and if you tell people they can't bathe in the Ganges there will be a riot. It's a very volatile situation here."

Just after dawn, as pilgrims immerse themselves in the holy waters and the sun rises over the far bank of the river, that doesn't feel like a clear and immediate threat.

Flickering candles in clay pots are floating on the surface, and offerings are made to the goddess. It's a scene of serenity and devotion.

But what's happening to the Ganges here in Varanasi isn't sustainable. And that raises the spectre that if nothing changes this time, a whole way of life will one day disappear.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8375609.stm
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 3:03am On Nov 28, 2009
Beaf:

I can bet anybody that below all this will lie some financial fraud.

quite possible.

Aloy~Emeka:

I saw the video again and there is no need for Venice comparison because the houses are not built on water. The village is near the water and they built their poo house on the water instead. The environment is very dirty and it has nothing to do with the water. What of the shit scattered everywhere on land and those children eating them?. Is that also the effect of house on water?

Someone made the Venice comparison and didnt you thank him for it?

can you show me where in the video you saw people eating shit on land.
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 3:04am On Nov 28, 2009
Beaf,

My mistake. . . was reading the words on the cage thing
Re: Lagos Live by AloyEmeka6: 3:05am On Nov 28, 2009
babapupa:

River Ganges.

Are they pooping inside the water or are they throwing away non feaces waste inside the water?. Besides, one of the pictures look like a religious function; its different from the case in Nigeria. Even if its the same, must we compare ourselves with lowlifes?
Re: Lagos Live by Kobojunkie: 3:05am On Nov 28, 2009
Beaf:

Not just that but there are, as we speak, people doing all they can to raise billions to save that river. Even the government is working with the west to secure money to save that river. Now, any such going on when it comes to the river in the video( since we are always quick to point out examples from other places in our bid to EXCUSE away the appalling situation we have in ours)?
Re: Lagos Live by AloyEmeka6: 3:07am On Nov 28, 2009
tpia.:

Someone made the Venice comparison and didnt you thank him for it?

can you show me where in the video you saw people eating shit on land.

Take time and watch it carefully for the 2nd time; You will notice a lot of things you missed in the 1st viewing. Didn't I attack Beaf for claiming there is shit littered everywhere because I didn't see it in the first view until I watched it for the 2nd time.
Re: Lagos Live by babapupa: 3:07am On Nov 28, 2009
^ Ganges is not in Nigeria!

Keep quiet!! Ode read, I was answering a question,

Show me evidence of people pooping inside water rampantly in Asia and how their government ignored it
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 3:08am On Nov 28, 2009
babapupa:

Keep quiet!! Ode read, I was answering a question,
Are you lost?
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 3:09am On Nov 28, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Take time and watch it carefully for the 2nd time; You will notice a lot of things you missed in the 1st viewing. Didn't I attack Beaf for claiming there is shit littered everywhere because I didn't see it in the first view until I watched it for the 2nd time.

Aloy~Emeka:

where did you see them eating it?
Re: Lagos Live by Beaf: 3:09am On Nov 28, 2009
FL Gators:

Beaf,

My mistake. . . was reading the words on the cage thing

No probs, I sort of figured that.
Re: Lagos Live by babapupa: 3:09am On Nov 28, 2009
Are you lost?

edited, it was meant for the olodo beef,
Re: Lagos Live by Beaf: 3:11am On Nov 28, 2009
babapupa:

edited, it was meant for the olodo beef,

[size=27pt]Your father is an olodo[/size]
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 3:13am On Nov 28, 2009
Nigeria: Making the destitute homeless - forced evictions in Makoko, Lagos State

This report focuses mainly on the forced evictions carried out in Makoko in April 2005 and shows how these fit into a pattern of forced evictions in Lagos and other parts of Nigeria. Amnesty International is concerned that the Government of Nigeria is violating its obligation under international human rights law, to refrain from forced evictions, and to ensure that the law is enforced against its own agents. Amnesty International urges the Nigerian Government to immediately stop all forced evictions; to place an immediate moratorium on all evictions; and to ensure that all those forcibly evicted have adequate alternative accommodation.

http://www.amnesty.org/en/library/info/AFR44/001/2006

damned if you do and damned if you dont.
Re: Lagos Live by AloyEmeka6: 3:14am On Nov 28, 2009
tpia.:

where did you see them eating it?

You didn't see that little boy eating shit from the ground?. Do you have eyes at all?.
Re: Lagos Live by Kobojunkie: 3:15am On Nov 28, 2009
tpia.:

damned if you do and damned if you dont.

How does that apply in this case? Are forced evictions solutions to THIS problem? Or are you simply trying to CONNECT two disconnected situations here?
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 3:18am On Nov 28, 2009
Kobojunkie:

How does that apply in this case? Are forced evictions solutions to THIS problem? Or are you simply trying to CONNECT two disconnected situations here?

like i said before, relocation is an option.

Now, if the govt starts demolishing those structures, all of you will be here screaming blue murder.

and why am i not surprised to find out the place is composed mainly of immigrants?

http://makoko.org/aboutmakoko.html
Re: Lagos Live by AloyEmeka6: 3:19am On Nov 28, 2009
tpia.:

Now, if the govt starts demolishing those structures, all of you will be here screaming blue murder.

and why am i not surprised to find out the place is composed mainly of immigrants? ??
?

Immigrants from where?
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 3:20am On Nov 28, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

You didn't see that little boy eating shit from the ground?. Do you have eyes at all?.  

can you give me the exact time when that happens.

because I'm yet to see a SANE person eating shit in broad daylight.
Re: Lagos Live by Nobody: 3:20am On Nov 28, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Immigrants from where?

i dont know- check the makoko site link. That's what it says.

Today, occupants are either from other villages in Nigeria or immigrants from other countries. Either way, they all come to Lagos looking for a better life. This could be due to the fact that as Makoko is a self-governing community, the authorities rarely visit (which is also a contributing factor to the volatility of this subsistence community).
Re: Lagos Live by AloyEmeka6: 3:21am On Nov 28, 2009
tpia.:

can you give me the exact time when that happens.

because I'm yet to see a SANE person eating shit in broad daylight.

Do you honestly expect children that age  to be sane when they put anything they can lay their hands on into their mouth?.
Re: Lagos Live by AloyEmeka6: 3:22am On Nov 28, 2009
tpia.:

i dont know- check the makoko site link. That's what it says.

Anybody can write stuff and post it online. Those people are Nigerians mainly of Yoruba and Egun origin. Even if they are foreigners, it shouldn't deter the government from cleaning up the area since their actions constitutes health hazard for the entire state and beyond.
Re: Lagos Live by Kobojunkie: 3:22am On Nov 28, 2009
tpia.:

and why am i not surprised to find out the place is composed mainly of immigrants?

Here is a section from the article

While evictions may be justifiable in certain circumstances, they should be undertaken only as
a last resort and in accordance with the following eight principles:

(a) an opportunity for genuine consultation with those affected;

(b) adequate and reasonable notice for all affected persons prior to the scheduled date of
eviction;

(c) information on the proposed evictions, and, where applicable, on the alternative
purpose for which the land or housing is to be used, to be made available in
reasonable time to all those affected;

(d) especially where groups of people are involved, government officials or their
representatives to be present during an eviction;

(e) all persons carrying out the eviction to be properly identified;

(f) evictions not to take place in particularly bad weather or at night unless the affected
persons consent otherwise;

(g) provision of legal remedies; and

(h) provision, where possible, of legal aid to persons who are in need of it to seek
redress from the courts.3

Amnesty International considers that these criteria were not met in this case, and that the
actions of the Nigerian government therefore amounted to forced evictions, and as such
amount to a grave violation of human rights.4

I am not certain that a FORCED EVICTION amounts to relocation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Tompolo Frees Kidnapped Journalists, As Itsekiris Call Jonathan A Coward / Buhari APC Wins Presidential Election - See Final Result / RE: Political mistake

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.