Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,136 members, 7,814,975 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:16 AM

SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals (15969 Views)

Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses / Atheists "Have Higher Iqs" (2) / Atheists 'have Higher Iqs' - Daniel Bates (1) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals by IgboLoyalist: 9:26am On Apr 09, 2017
felixomor:

So Deists base their belief on a mere postulation, Right?

Correct my paddy.

You first have to prove the existence of something, then it's safe to construct reasons why he/she/they is "apart" from Earth.

You cannot do one without the other. If you do, then we're crossing into preternatural territory. We might as well be discussing why Superman doesn't come and save Nigeria from evil. Good day. (:

3 Likes

Re: SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:43am On Apr 09, 2017
Kay17:

Loool! An uncontroversial example would be appreciated.

Well there is a radical theory which postulates that an advanced alien civilization has transcribed themselves into the quantum realm - they are now part of the fabric of the universe . Does that count too ?

1 Like

Re: SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals by Kay17: 10:01am On Apr 09, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

All matter , energy , space , time were created in the Big Bang .

I think I understand what you are hinting at and its called Platonism whereby entities like abstract objects - numbers , properties , sets - are necessarily existing and are uncreated as God and thus independent of God's existence . Right ?

But I clearly stated in the first point I made that since God is supreme and omnipotent he transcends all having the power the terminate even necessarily existing entities . Some philosophers also asserted that these necessarily existing causally impotent abstract objects depend on God's will and intellect for their existence i.e assuming God had willed 3+3 to be 8 then it would have been so .

Wouldn't your conclusion, that whole entities do not require causation or creation, change in view of the examples have right now?
Re: SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals by Kay17: 10:02am On Apr 09, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Well there is a radical theory which postulates that an advanced alien civilization has transcribed themselves into the quantum realm - they are now part of the fabric of the universe . Does that count too ?

It's still speculative. Provide a clear example not one from other radical theories
Re: SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:09am On Apr 09, 2017
Kay17:

Wouldn't your conclusion, that whole entities do not require causation or creation, change in view of the examples have right now?

There are still dependent on the existence of God i.e if God hadn't existed then these entities would not exist . Though they exist necessarily , they are still contingent .

We can relate this to Hawking model - no boundary proposal - that supposedly eliminates the need for God for the existence of the universe giving the universe the ability to create itself from not just vacuum but from literally nothing since nothing exists outside the universe . But without God this would be impossible since He is the source of all reality . And if God hasn't willed it to be so , such activity wouldn't even occur in the same place .

1 Like

Re: SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:21am On Apr 09, 2017
Kay17:

It's still speculative. Provide a clear example not one from other radical theories

I'm not sure there are any other .
Re: SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals by Kay17: 12:54pm On Apr 09, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

I'm not sure there are any other .

So your only example of a unembodied mind is God?
Re: SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals by Kay17: 12:56pm On Apr 09, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

There are still dependent on the existence of God i.e if God hadn't existed then these entities would not exist . Though they exist necessarily , they are still contingent .

We can relate this to Hawking model - no boundary proposal - that supposedly eliminates the need for God for the existence of the universe giving the universe the ability to create itself from not just vacuum but from literally nothing since nothing exists outside the universe . But without God this would be impossible since He is the source of all reality . And if God hasn't willed it to be so , such activity wouldn't even occur in the same place .

Then God being whole doesn't stop him from having a creator

1 Like

Re: SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:16pm On Apr 09, 2017
Kay17:

Then God being whole doesn't stop him from having a creator

Wow . How is that possible please explain . And after you are done , select which you think is logical

1. Infinite Regress

2. First Cause [Eternal , Necessary Existent , Self Existent, Self Sufficient , Non Contingent ]

3. Something out of literally nothing uncaused .
Re: SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:34pm On Apr 09, 2017
Kay17:

So your only example of a unembodied mind is God?

I said man's spirit . People- theists and atheists - who have had out of the body experiences could witness and observe events without their material/physical bodies . If they could experience consciousness outside the material body then the spirit is an umembodied mind .
Re: SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals by wirinet(m): 1:40pm On Apr 09, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Wow . How is that possible please explain . And after you are done , select which you think is logical

1. Infinite Regress

2. First Cause [Eternal , Necessary Existent , Self Existent, Self Sufficient , Non Contingent ]

The problem of infinite regress is not different from the problem of finite regress. How does one determine where the regress stops. How many levels of regress are there? ie, like the universe was created by a God, who was created by a God, who was created by a God, who is then the fiirst Cause [Eternal , Necessary Existent , Self Existent, Self Sufficient , Non Contingent]

i prefer to go with the no regress model, ie the universe is eternal with everything contained therein. It only changes form.
Re: SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals by Kay17: 1:55pm On Apr 09, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

1. Infinite Regress

I hope you do recall that you were the one trying to prove that your God didn't require a creator because he was whole. But given that wholeness doesn't not guarantee being uncaused God could likely be caused.
Re: SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:02pm On Apr 09, 2017
Kay17:

I hope you do recall that you were the one trying to prove that your God didn't require a creator because he was whole. But given that wholeness doesn't not guarantee being uncaused God could likely be caused.

You misconstrued my point . Wholeness is a physical property and it is created so God doesn't posses wholeness as an attribute . God is more like a maximally great being. You talked about orderliness and organization of parts as your criterion for being caused to exist because you believe God has organized and ordered parts but God doesn't . God is a simple being who has no temporal , spatial or metaphysical parts; God's attributes are simply identical to his being .
Re: SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:12pm On Apr 09, 2017
wirinet:

The problem of infinite regress is not different from the problem of finite regress. How does one determine where the regress stops. How many levels of regress are there? ie, like the universe was created by a God, who was created by a God, who was created by a God, who is then the fiirst Cause [Eternal , Necessary Existent , Self Existent, Self Sufficient , Non Contingent]

I understand your point . The thing is that the First Cause has the attributes of being eternal , necessarily existing , self sufficient , non contingent , enormously powerful , immutable . So the First Cause as a primary substance or non contingent being sets the conditions necessarily for the existence of secondary substances or contingent beings . Since the universe is like a repository of cause and effect , the term 'First Cause' was coined to refer to the being that effects the Law of Causality . So God as the First Cause has no creator since it is eternal/non contingent/necessarily existing

i prefer to go with the no regress model, ie the universe is eternal with everything contained therein. It only changes form.

Infinite change = Infinite regress .

That's the thing with God as an eternal being , he is immutable (changeless )

As you can see , an eternal universe will strongly suggest infinite regress since as you clearly said 'it only changes form'. If something stretches to infinity you can't place any antecedent conditions on which whatever effects being experienced were made therefore it is very illogical for infinite regress of causes to occur .

1 Like

Re: SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals by excadz(m): 3:37pm On Apr 09, 2017
I think people confuse nothingness with the Dark Universe. The concept of nothingness is too abstract to concieve. However, the Dark Universe, the one we see when we peer into Telescopes at night is percievable even if there was only 1 Star, our Sun. That is because the Dark Universe is Pure Dark Energy. It is all around us and is the medium that Light travells in a wave through. There is no such thing as a Light particle travelling from the Sun in 8 minutes to reach the Earth. Light is the process of a wave moving through the medium.

Ok, with that out of the way, I will explain how the physical universe come into being. Pure Dark Energy is abstract and exists as waves. Physicists have labelled its properties alomg what is known as the Elecro-Magnetic Spectrum. To create matter, Pure Dark Energy Waves flux, (cut into half waves) until particles of matter emerge. The first particle is what created Space-Time because it became quantitative. It is also known as a Star. We can only speculate that the first Star is at the center of the universe but we know the process is happening all the time because there of billions of other stars since then.
Re: SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:48pm On Apr 09, 2017
excadz:
I think people confuse nothingness with the Dark Universe. The concept of nothingness is too abstract to concieve.

No need to obfuscate the meaning of nothingness . It simply means nothing in every aspect of what nothing means . NOTHING .

2 Likes

Re: SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals by Kay17: 5:28pm On Apr 09, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

You misconstrued my point . Wholeness is a physical property and it is created so God doesn't posses wholeness as an attribute . God is more like a maximally great being. You talked about orderliness and organization of parts as your criterion for being caused to exist because you believe God has organized and ordered parts but God doesn't . God is a simple being who has no temporal , spatial or metaphysical parts; God's attributes are simply identical to his being .

God is a maximally great being and at the same simple being?
Re: SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals by Earth2Metahuman: 6:18pm On Apr 09, 2017
Re: SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:30am On Apr 10, 2017
Kay17:

God is a maximally great being and at the same simple being?

Being maximally great means that God is Omnipotent , Omniscient , morally perfect , Omnipresent etc . And God being simple is that these attributes are not parts of God that make Him God , they are simply identical to His being .You dig ?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:58pm On Apr 11, 2017
grin
Re: SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:15pm On Apr 12, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

1. Infinite Regress

Kay17 , you didn't answer this question . Why ?
Re: SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:46pm On Apr 12, 2017
grin grin
Re: SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals by mrmrmister: 8:13pm On Apr 12, 2017
I don't even perceive this Ebuka guy as a Christian.

As far as I'm concerned, He's a Clown.

2 Likes

Re: SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:27pm On Apr 12, 2017
mrmrmister:

Your signature sums up your personality ... smiley

3 Likes

Re: SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals by mrmrmister: 8:29pm On Apr 12, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Your signature sums up your personality ... smiley

Yeah it does, to a myopic person anyway.

4 Likes

Re: SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals by Nobody: 9:10pm On Apr 12, 2017
randomperson:

. Is there proof the universe wasn't created by aliens? A created universe doesn't prove god, since it doesn't prove that a set of super- intelligent aliens also created the world

Please, show how Christianity fulfills every logical explanation of what god should look like and show why same is not applicable to the Islamic god

Do u mean it could have as well been created by aliens?

If that is the case you at least believe it was created by someone you only cant take it that God created it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:02am On Apr 13, 2017
grin grin More contributions please
Re: SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals by dalaman: 2:50pm On Apr 13, 2017
mrmrmister:

He's more of a deist than a christian.
Re: SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:35pm On Apr 13, 2017
dalaman:

He's more of a deist than a christian.

Prove that I'm a deist angry

1 Like

Re: SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals by dalaman: 10:44pm On Apr 13, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Prove that I'm a deist angry

Your posts are there for all to see. Most of your arguments are for a deist God. I understand that there is no evidence for the Christian God at all, so most christian apologist just embrace the deist God idea and run away with it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:00pm On Apr 13, 2017
dalaman:

Your posts are there for all to see. Most of your arguments are for a deist God. I understand that there is no evidence for the Christian God at all, so most christian apologist just embrace the deist God idea and run away with it.

So what's the difference between the 'deist God' and 'Christian God' ?

1 Like

Re: SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals by felixomor: 11:03pm On Apr 13, 2017
dalaman:

If they ask you to show proof for this now,
U will start answering question with question.....

Mscheww

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Livinus Onuagha: Methodist Bishop And Priests Visit Onitsha Market Fire Scene / Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? / Pastor And His Wife In Court For Beating Co-tenant With Plank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.