Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,096 members, 7,818,284 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:55 AM

American Ridicules Lagos From The Air - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / American Ridicules Lagos From The Air (12736 Views)

Prof. Yemi Osibanjo Clears The Air About APC Kano Rally Photo He Tweeted / PDP Ridicules Buhari's Ill-health With Funny Cartoon / CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by ziga: 7:08pm On Jan 10, 2010
Kobojunkie:

What particular line in the video do you have the guy telling you he is MOCKING you? What part of the statements made would you consider blind and insensitive?

I like to have discussions with very open minded people.
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by Choco5: 7:54pm On Jan 10, 2010
. . .
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by Kobojunkie: 9:33pm On Jan 10, 2010
ziga:

I like to have discussions with very open minded people.

Roflmao!!! But you are JUST not open to having your views questioned? ROFLMAO!!
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by beejaei: 11:10pm On Jan 10, 2010
Kobo-JUNK, you are headed for doom.
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by Liedetect: 12:30am On Jan 11, 2010

When you tell a Nigerian " Hey! Your House is dirty. Clean it up" he immediately tells you " Why are you disturbing me? Look at that house ,  and that other house. They are as dirty as mine".

kobojunkie, 'I love this !!' grin grin grin grin

Some Nigerians are too soft doing that. You come into my house and   tell me my house is dirty, you think I would have the time to be explaining about another house? Man, if you only get a swift kick up the backside from me, count yourself lucky.

The man with the video was out of order. The days of being spoken down to are over. If my house is dirty that is my afire not yours.
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by NIGboi(m): 1:52am On Jan 11, 2010
manny4life:

Wow, @ N.I.Gboi, why do you attack the blessed? I still find it somewhat disturbing why someone has to impose their views on others and when you refuse to accept the opposition, it resorts to insults. Please tell me why her own view perhaps her own opinion makes her sick? Besides she hasn't forced it on you, yet u attack her, all I can say is WOW.

If I'm trying to get something correct here is it that what the dude said was absolutely untrue or is it because an American said it, which is it? If anyone who thinks what the dude said was wrong, please speak and prove him wrong, as well as those who think he was right. Also if u think its because he's an American, America has slumps as well, you could pay a visit to one of those slumps at least there are dirty areas in DC (Capital of the U.S.), N.Y. (Supposedly, financial district of the world) have worse places than some parts of Lagos.

hey, may be i spoke harshly but i didn't insult her. i don't really like people making generalizations. and then there is this obsession with everything 'oyibo'. everything they do or say is right. we have a long way to go but i can say that some of us are making strides in the right directions. she keeps talking about how our (africans) are messed up. and i don't think so. for someone to keep on saying that, ther has to be a complex somewhere.

the guy has got some points, i agree but i think he made the video not to show us something but as a means to degrade us. i complain about the way nigeria is messed up. i really do it a lot.
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by NIGboi(m): 2:10am On Jan 11, 2010
Kobojunkie:

How do you know he/she has not TRIED anything on his end to ease the Nigerian situation? It is this NEED to put down others for telling us the truth that is being addressed here. We come up with EVERY POSSIBLE REASON no matter how irrational to REJECT the truth, every which way we can. We have people rejecting it because the video was made by an America, now you are here saying you REJECT the message from @theblessed because IN YOUR MIND, he/she does not fit the image YOU WANT of him. Are you serious? You think say you dey do person ? Na wa ooo!!

Does rejecting TRUTH simply cause it is not offered you in exactly the way you WANT IT change the fact that the truth was offered at all?
first of, am not rejecting the truth that Nigeria is messed up. i think the best way to tell someone stuff is not to try and degrade him and make yourself seem superior, which is what the video is trying to do. also, the blessed keeps towing that line.what kind of image do i have in my mind about theblessed? if u know please do let me know. the grouse i have with her is that she keeps saying that we africans have a psychological problem. i disagree with that .
what message has theblessed brought to us? she just said

i) africans are psychologically sick

ii)we enjoy suffering
iii)the 'oyibo' don't like suffering
iv)commit suicide if u're suffering!!because the oyibo people do it.
I hope u get my point.
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by Kobojunkie: 2:10am On Jan 11, 2010
Liedetect:

Some Nigerians are too soft doing that. You come into my house and   tell me my house is dirty, you think I would have the time to be explaining about another house? Man, if you only get a swift kick up the backside from me, count yourself lucky.

The man with the video was out of order. The days of being spoken down to are over. If my house is dirty that is my afire not yours.  

But No man is an island, not in the global world we live in today. Even events in China affect the world, so it is a tad naive to claim that your dirty house be your problem when we all know it does not work that way anymore. Nigerians in Diaspora, for instance are affected in one way or another by what goes on in Nigeria, and many protest by going out to the government, in foreign countries they reside in ,to act in some way. I am afraid we need to start seeing the world as it is, rather than becoming defensive when confronted with the truth of our reality. The man recorded the movie as he was landing and he felt to put it online. I don’t know his true intentions because I cannot read his mind but it could be that he just wanted people to see what he saw and maybe do something about it. However, since we do not know, I think it is in our best interest to focus on the MESSAGE and not the man or what color his teeth are.
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by Kobojunkie: 2:16am On Jan 11, 2010
N.I.Gboi:

first of, am not rejecting the truth that Nigeria is messed up. i think the best way to tell someone stuff is not to try and degrade him and make yourself seem superior, which is what the video is trying to do. also, the blessed keeps towing that line. what kind of image do i have in my mind about theblessed? if u know please do let me know. the grouse i have with her is that she keeps saying that we africans have a psychological problem. i disagree with that .

I agree with her. We do have some serious psychological problems to deal with in Africa, and it is NOT HIDDEN. It is OPENLY CELEBRATED on the most part, especially in our dear country. Why deny it when she is willing to admit it?

N.I.Gboi:

what message has theblessed brought to us? she just said

i) africans are psychologically sick
ii)we enjoy suffering
iii)the 'oyibo' don't like suffering
iv)commit suicide if u're suffering!!because the oyibo people do it.
I hope u get my point.
NO NO NO !!! That is not the message I, and I am certain many of the others, who applauded her post, got from her posts there.
If you have ever read the bible, you would note that the message does not mince words when it comes to pointing out the problems with the people of God. I mean even the dearest of them all had his dirty laundry aired out for all to read and know.
I would like to know though

a) What is your understanding of this psychological problem you believe blessed talks of?
b) From the much you know today of living in Africa, are you saying that we do not to cling to the “suffering and smiling” mentality at all?
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by baeyy(m): 10:56am On Jan 12, 2010
It really annoys me when Nigerians themselves can't even find the good or defend their country, your comments make even more sick than the video. What do you guys mean when you say there is nothing wrong with what he siad, Is it the part of him saying we all cut grass with our hands, or is it the part that in the entire lagos the only place that is green is near the airport. This is why we will always be treated as trash because we can't even defend or country even when we have atleast something to brag about, go to countries like sierre leone, kenya and see if they have it like us SMH.
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by debomb: 4:42pm On Jan 12, 2010
The poster is not only being stupid, it is apparent that he is quite shallow. A Nigerian with  a fake American accent dissing his own country. There are ways you go about expressing your views about naija without spewing exaggerated nonsense like you just did (No trees, the only green space is at the airport,  what mutallab like you!!) where do you live in lagos? Apparently having nothing worthwhile to blog about?. Everybody knows the problem with naija, but when you sarcastically carry on like this, you make yourself an hypocrite for coming back again and again. Back to this place you hate soo much.

There is no place like home. That's what make us UNIQUE. Someday, somehow, things will change gradually but surely. it might take long but we will get there.
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by papabaks(m): 4:22pm On Jan 13, 2010
This is just the real fact that this guy have just pointed out,

Is their a crime when you notice something and then point it out for others to see?

Good job guy, we will improve very soon,

papa
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by ikeyman00(m): 4:52pm On Jan 13, 2010
this thread is a joke
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by Eziachi: 5:17pm On Jan 13, 2010
The poster has stir the bee's nest and has got the usual Nigerian attitude of see no evil and hear no evil and attack the messenger.
Who can honestly dispute what the poster said and backed it up with a moving picture?

Planning in Nigeria is non existence and Lagos is just one of many junks, we called city,  except for few place where the rich lives as said by the poster, surrounded by a prison like fences and gates.
The poster should go to Ibadan and see pre colonial brown looking roofing sheets still hanging and sewage running openly on the street.
Or go to Aba and see how people lives side by side with stinking mountain of refuse dumps.

If you have been in Lagos for most of the day, outside. Just use a white hand towel to wipe your face and look at the result. It will be covered in pure thick black smug from unroad worthy autos and industrial pollution and that is exactly what people are breathing day in day out into their lungs- far worse than smoking.

Just like the poster said, I have also witness a man with cutlass cutting the grass as the plane taxi along the tarmac at the MMA just a year ago. How can that happen in the 21st century? How much does a lawn mower cost?

My people use to says that "a king who always hate to be told the truth will one day enter the village square with excrement of his on his clothe because no one dare tell him the truth".
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by Theblessed(f): 9:25pm On Jan 13, 2010
Eziachi:

The poster has stir the bee's nest and has got the usual Nigerian attitude of see no evil and hear no evil and attack the messenger.
Who can honestly dispute what the poster said and backed it up with a moving picture?

Planning in Nigeria is non existence and Lagos is just one of many junks, we called city,  except for few place where the rich lives as said by the poster, surrounded by a prison like fences and gates.
The poster should go to Ibadan and see pre colonial brown looking roofing sheets still hanging and sewage running openly on the street.
Or go to Aba and see how people lives side by side with stinking mountain of refuse dumps.

If you have been in Lagos for most of the day, outside. Just use a white hand towel to wipe your face and look at the result. It will be covered in pure thick black smug from unroad worthy autos and industrial pollution and that is exactly what people are breathing day in day out into their lungs- far worse than smoking.

Just like the poster said, I have also witness a man with cutlass cutting the grass as the plane taxi along the tarmac at the MMA just a year ago. How can that happen in the 21st century? How much does a lawn mower cost?

My people use to says that "a king who always hate to be told the truth will one day enter the village square with excrement of his on his clothe because no one dare tell him the truth".

God bless you for upholding the truth for the sake of your beloved Country!
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by mamagee3(f): 2:08am On Jan 14, 2010
America can ridicule all they want
But, they'll be back begging Nigeria for oil
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by Sammy107d(m): 6:31pm On Jan 14, 2010
Many Nigerians are just as ignorant as that American

From Håkønljzberg
Skyscrapercity.
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by shotster50(m): 2:36am On Jan 16, 2010
Why does every Lagos picture have to be from the Island? Is that the only part of Lagos allowed to put up online
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by Sammy107d(m): 3:11am On Jan 16, 2010
shotster50:

Why does every Lagos picture have to be from the Island? Is that the only part of Lagos allowed to put up online

The part you want to see is in a video right on the first page.
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by Pifa: 4:24am On Jan 16, 2010
Sammy107_d:

@Sammy107_d

Note: Photo numbering is top to bottom as you scroll down.

1) Photographs 1-5: Is that green but narrow stretch of land a public park? If so, what is it called?

2) Photograph 10: The green area by the waterfront. Is that a public park? Do you know if there are plans to keep that area an open space?

3) Would you know if Lagos has public parks similar to Golden Gate Park in San Francisco, or Central Park in New York?

4) Are there even public parks in Lagos? I don’t mean small public gardens such as the Muri Okunola “park” on VI.

Btw, I do remember Ikoyi Park as being quite large, with water streams running through it. But I think they've turned it into residential or commercial areas. Is that right?
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by Kobojunkie: 4:35am On Jan 16, 2010
shotster50:

THANK YOU!!!! roflmao!!!!  grin cheesy cheesy grin cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy 

iT IS ALMOST  as if pictures of the mainland, which happens to be where majority of the residents live, is FORBIDDEN !!! Roflmao!!  grin cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by Sammy107d(m): 5:04am On Jan 16, 2010
Pifa:

@Sammy107_d

Note: Photo numbering is top to bottom as you scroll down.

1) Photographs 1-5: Is that green but narrow stretch of land a public park? If so, what is it called?

2) Photograph 10: The green area by the waterfront. Is that a public park? Do you know if there are plans to keep that area an open space?

3) Would you know if Lagos has public parks similar to Golden Gate Park in San Francisco, or Central Park in New York?

4) Are there even public parks in Lagos? I don’t mean small public gardens such as the Muri Okunola “park” on VI.

Pic 1-5 is not a public park. I'll like to believe that the area is swampy, and can't be built upon.

The large opened space by the waterfront doesn't look like a park to me, more like a station for local fishermen. The little, well manicured,  rectangle by the highway looks like a recreational spot though.

There are quite a number of parks in Lagos, and many are springing up (definitely not central park scale. baby steps). This video summarizes all I know about Lagos' greening programme.

[flash=400,400]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/kR-WTMPzD5c[/flash]
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by Pifa: 10:02pm On Jan 16, 2010
Sammy107_d:

The large opened space by the waterfront doesn't look like a park to me, more like a station for local fishermen. The little, well manicured,  rectangle by the highway looks like a recreational spot though.

Thank you, Sammy107_d.

I would give anything to keep that waterfront area an open space. It’s such a naturally beautiful and an ideal location for a park. Lagos is sorely lacking in this regard.

I can see that area as the Grant Park of Lagos (Grant Park was where Obama delivered his acceptance speech on election night 2008). It can become a venue for free concerts, rallies, art exhibitions and so on. I salivate as I am thinking of the possibilities. I have an idea, though. I just need a way to reach the appropriate authorities.

Does anyone know if that area is still an open space?
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by Ugwumba(m): 5:54pm On Apr 19, 2011
Stop complaining and understand that the truth hurts, especially when spoken by a smart-ass foreigner. 'I see Lagos' is a tacit understanding that things will have to change (and small but definite steps are being taken).

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

I Won’t Work With Those Behind Crisis In PDP – Sheriff / Why We Must All Support The Grazing Bill For The Fulani's / Budget 2020: Gabriel Suswam Expresses Worry On VAT, Ekweremadu Lauds Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.