Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,286 members, 7,818,972 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:14 AM

Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? - Travel (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? (100640 Views)

US Shares Relief Materials To Nigerians In China Thrown Into The Streets / Nigerians In Diaspora Should Learn Good Behavior. / Obalende BRT Park: Bad Maintenance Culture Or Sheer Wickedness? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Mcowubaba: 2:45pm On Apr 29, 2017
Donsammi:

lol ASUkoro.(asokoro)

it's true bro the exchange rate is killing us real bad.
that's why this Yahoo boys are ripping off them whites and spending the money recklessly here ..

*things too are costly here in some places in Nigeria like Abuja where I reside and Lagos tho .

besides have been to Ethiopia tho when my popsi was transferred there.
(ministry of foreign affairs)

on the basis of MFA posting you outside for 3/4yrs it's easy because of Govt taking care of everything!

My uncle works at the same Ministry.
He is currently in China. He is a career diplomat. I have asked him before to connect me to the job, he refused cheesy. I don't know why, probably he felt I'm already living abroad angry

Yahoo boys are hustling, but the are giving us a bad name....
I know a widow who was ripped off by this guys, it wasn't fair, she nearly committed suicide.

I face stereotype atimes on the account of Nigerian fraudsters.
Asukoro or Asokoro na the same thing wink Koro is involved cheesy

Most times, when I use Ethiopian Airlines when traveling from Nigeria , the always stop over at Ethiopia. But I don't really get the Ethiopian experience

2 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by tosyne2much(m): 2:55pm On Apr 29, 2017
queendoreez:

Please ignore your friend, just like i did to mine. Do not get discouraged. All you need to do is have a plan and stick to it. 90% of Nigerians are very selfish and want others to always look up to them while they "form bosses".
The truth of the matter is that, though, it may not be easy to survive there but not to the extent at which Nigerians exaggerate it.

2 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by helpyom(f): 3:19pm On Apr 29, 2017
Mcowubaba:

Which kind help you dey find

Still waiting ooo smiley cheesy
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by efismikoko(m): 3:22pm On Apr 29, 2017
This sweet Nigeria

Well I understand sha I v seen hell in Nigeria before but the thing is I never gave up and never said anything bad about this country I worked hard and smart and dreamed big

Today story don change o I v never don anything illegal

I v never been out of this country before but all my siblings are out and truth be told I v not collected 1 dollar from any of them. They stay in my house when they come and I feed them wella yes cheesy grin they still don't understand how I got all I have in the capital of lagos just being a middle man and reading to know everything

Opportunity dey here and this country is sweet abeg I fit wake up drag with police hala with people breath free freedom abeg I can't work your kind of jobs outside I fit slap oyinbo sef.

I will go visiting soon I know cos their pressure is too much I don't even have a passport sef grin
If I want a vacation Nigeria is big enough with nice place abeg I think I v been to 50% of the resorts in Nigeria that one do me abeg

But the truth is if Nigeria no sweet for you and you don't see light at the end of the tunnel you can go no one deserve to suffer life is too short and the earth belongs to all of us

11 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 3:44pm On Apr 29, 2017
The honest truth about America is that 64% of Americans can't even come up with $400 in an emergency. I am talking about first class citizens. Even an annual salary of $100,000 these days is nothing in America. I always laugh when most Nigerians living in America boast that they earn more than a banker in Nigeria doing menial jobs. But the banker here is already in his second building while most of them will still be paying rent for at least 15yrs before they will even be able to raise money for a 20% down payment on a condo house. Poverty is defined by where you live and not by converting currencies. If there is any place Nigerians are finding it tough it is in the US.

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by AnthonyAk(m): 3:44pm On Apr 29, 2017
salford:

bro. i started mine with education but i still hear am.lol

Lol did you finish? What did you study?
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Mcowubaba: 3:58pm On Apr 29, 2017
helpyom:

Still waiting ooo smiley cheesy
Travel to where?
Travel for what?
What exactly, explain?
Just to know there are dozens of Travel threads here on Nairaland.
Very detailed and informative.

But any additional information you need from me, I am willing to assist.

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by salford: 3:59pm On Apr 29, 2017
vickertony:
What part of Canada is good for msc in terms of getting PR when i graduate? Thanks for your previous reply.
manitoba

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by efismikoko(m): 4:10pm On Apr 29, 2017
ayodele234:
The honest truth about America is that 64% of Americans can't even come up with $400 in an emergency. I am talking about first class citizens. Even an annual salary of $100,000 these days is nothing in America. I always laugh when most Nigerians living in America boast that they earn more than a banker in Nigeria doing menial jobs. But the banker here is already in his second building while most of them will still be paying rent for at least 15yrs before they will even be able to raise money for a 20% down payment on a condo house. Poverty is defined by where you live and not by converting currencies. If there is any place Nigerians are finding it tough it is in the US.
I like this part poverty is defined by where you live and not by converting currencies

People need to understand this

You are a minimum wage earner in usa you won't be different from a minimum wage man in Nigeria.......well Yankee get credit facilities for Una

8 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by pansophist(m): 4:13pm On Apr 29, 2017
In addition to what has been said here, what further contribute to the culture of suffering for many of my kinsmen abroad is their allergy to reading, and get acquainted with the law of their newly adopted home. I know a guy that was illegal but spend all his time watching youtube, going to church but invest zero hard work in transforming his status. He has a girlfriend but could not marry her but again, won't accept or believe advises to stabilize his residency, even with evidence grilling in front of him.

Secondly, many of us live above our means. what is the point of a super big car, a house and an unnecessary flamboyant lifestyle that is detrimental to your financial life and attract professional beggars that are good at connecting their lineage link to you? gold-digging girls and fake friends? the Nigerian culture that glorifies flamboyancy as the epitome and qualifier of success is bad, and many of us are victims of such.

Lastly, many of us do not have a plan and even if we do, do not have the energy to invest in it. Gone are the days where your degree will guarantee a job, or entitles you to one. and shamefully, it's getting even harder. Everybody is feeling it, black, white, Asian, all of us. The western world may be difficult for all, but will be much more difficult for Nigerians that are victims of the cultural baggage deposited into them growing up in Nigeria.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by vickertony(m): 4:15pm On Apr 29, 2017
salford:
manitoba
Thanks mate... see you in Canada soonest!
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by salford: 4:19pm On Apr 29, 2017
cosade:

My guess is that she probably didn't pass the conversion exam and didn't want to get frustrated by working as a Nurse instead.
Nurses and doctors are different career paths. Failing as a doctor doesnt mean you have a 2nd chance to become a nurse except you are ready to return to college/Uni for another 4 years to obtain a nursing degree.

AnthonyAk:

Lol did you finish? What did you study?
Electrical Engineering.
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by cosade(m): 4:36pm On Apr 29, 2017
salford:

Nurses and doctors are different career paths. Failing as a doctor doesnt mean you have a 2nd chance to become a nurse except you are ready to return to college/Uni for another 4 years to obtain a nursing degree.

Sure, they have different career paths but it's the next best alternative. A foreign trained medical doctor would not spend another 4 years in a college to become a nurse, there are special programs designed for them. I know so many Nigerian medical Doctors who fail the Board conversion examinations that are now working as qualified Nurses in USA.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3904828/

https://www.ihpedu.com/nursing-programs-designed-for-international-doctors

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by azezola(m): 4:48pm On Apr 29, 2017
U
Bossman:
For anyone that's migrating here to the US legally, I'd say go for it. As long as you can work hard, you can make it. You may need to go to school to improve your chances of getting better jobs, unless you just want to do minimum wage job. As an illegal, you cannot get any good job. Since you have to be paid in cash. Jobs like cab/Uber driver (A lot of Nigerians do that here in Chicago), etc. are still possible without papers I believe. But the drivers lLicense offices in most states are now requiring proof of resident/citizen before issuing or renewing a drivers license. Only 2 or 3 states are still not requiring that. So, driving cab/uber is getting more difficult for illegals. Just not too many options if you are illegal period! The US has an E-verify thing that every new employee has to go through. So, no chance for if you are illegal.
You can still get ise gbeya gbeya without papers in US
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by deepchocolate: 4:50pm On Apr 29, 2017
ayodele234:

Tell me about it . Many people living in the west are just survivors . They made it difficult to take money out of the system.
Last time i went to the bank to take $ 5000 of my own saving , it was like pulling teeth. They wanted to know what i wanna do with it etc...etc... Thats my . own cash jare
At the end of slavery , many negros didnt know where to go .since by law they couldnt own a property .
The slave master came with a system called "SHARECROPPING" .
Meaning you are allow to stay on the plantation. I pay you dimes for your labour . But you can only use that dime to buy foods , rent on the plantation only.
Your hard earn money stay on the plantation or in the system. Thats the real America !
If you have kids , it becomes harder to even evade the system.

8 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by AngelicBeing: 5:07pm On Apr 29, 2017
pansophist:
In addition to what has been said here, what further contribute to the culture of suffering for many of my kinsmen abroad is their allergy to reading, and get acquainted with the law of their newly adopted home. I know a guy that was illegal but spend all his time watching youtube, going to church but invest zero hard work in transforming his status. He has a girlfriend but could not marry her but again, won't accept or believe advises to stabilize his residency, even with evidence grilling in front of him.

Secondly, many of us live above our means. what is the point of a super big car, a house and an unnecessary flamboyant lifestyle that is detrimental to your financial life and attract professional beggars that are good at connecting their lineage link to you? gold-digging girls and fake friends? the Nigerian culture that glorifies flamboyancy as the epitome and qualifier of success is bad, and many of us are victims of such.

Lastly, many of us do not have a plan and even if we do, do not have the energy to invest in it. Gone are the days where your degree will guarantee a job, or entitles you to one. and shamefully, it's getting even harder. Everybody is feeling it, black, white, Asian, all of us. The western world may be difficult for all, but will be much more difficult for Nigerians that are victims of the cultural baggage deposited into them growing up in Nigeria.
cool
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by tobaseye: 5:12pm On Apr 29, 2017
Ralphlauren:

You are very very outdated in your knowledge and understanding of the UK immigration routes.

HSMP has been scrapped. As far back as 2009.

10 years route for students has also been scrapped. You can't spend more than 6 years on a student visa. There is now a limit.

Marriage route is 5 years.

Continuous legal stay for 10 years under different routes means the person can file for permanent residency. This is also a common route.

Which one is "parents route" You can only file for a child under 18 years if at least one parent holds ILR and the child is UK born. If the child is overseas born and under 18, one parent must be a UK citizen.

Illegal residents can file for residency after 12-15 years. Some with children born in the UK can attempt permanent residency after 10 years. The illegals with UK born children are usually the lucky ones as they can claim right to stay using the EU human right laws. However, they have to use a well versed lawyer that can prepare their case.

Please don't come here to misinform people. undecided

Cc. Justwise correct this guy please.

To add to your points and what have been said so far......

Nobody is saying those that have the means to migrate legally should not do so. They are only saying don't migrate illegally because you will become a burden to yourself, your friends and relatives, and to the govt.

No doubt Nigeria is hard even the rich are also feeling the heat now by one way or the other now.

So if you must migrate please do it legally and with a good plan. I know people that came in with a student visa and in less than two years before their student visa expires they get married legally to white chick. Note that it was a bit easier for them because they had planned it to come and get married even before they got the student visa and they adhered strictly to their plan. In fact one of them had to travel to London the second day he arrived in the UK to me a lady that was arranged down for him by one of his brothers in London. I guess that didn't work out and he hooked with a white chick thereafter and they are married now. Note.... He had a concrete plan before coming.

Another way is coming with your spouse, both can go through the student visa at different time (Msc and PhD) and beat the 10 years legal resident route. Remember that when one is working the other is schooling. And for the whole 10 years you will only be working for the govt because of the tuition fees. its more difficult with couples with kids but its worth trying though.

I also heard from people that if you have a child born in the UK that you can file for paper when the child is 6yrs or 7yrs as a parent. So couple going through the student visa route can explore this if it's real. Experts in the house can correct me on this and throw more light on it.

I concur with people that said, if you have tangible things you are doing in Nigeria think well before you abandon what you are doing to pursue uncertainties. But if you don't have something worth you are doing why not but do it legally and with a good plan.

That those abroad don't want other to come because of competition is a big fallacy. Who knows who here. Your relatives don't just want you to come with a visit visa and become a liability to them. As most of them are still struggling living from hand to mouth.

We are sharing the hard stories so that you can prepare yourself for the worse case scenario before you come. And who says luck can't shine on you.

Information on how to travel is there on the internet you can read and go through the process without the help of people living in abroad. All you can get from the people in diaspora are bad experiences and discouragement. To be candid that is what they have got to share with you so that when you eventually find your way in, you will know that you are solely responsible for the decision you have taken to come abroad and not be waiting to get support from someone that is still trying to make a living also. And also if they couldn't provide you the help you were expecting from them you wouldn't be blaming them for given you false information about the reality of life in abroad.

And I strongly believe that the best gift people can give is information which Nigerians on nairaland have been doing for many years till date. People still go as far as sharing their personal experiences. The bottom line is that it may go very rough at the beginning but at the end you may reap it if you succeed ni o.

My own personal experience..... When i was in Nigeria I had about two businesses and was making at much as 150k to 250k monthly. Not married but with responsibilities of my younger ones. I left Nigeria 2015 with a student visa. But regretted my coming three months in the Uk after series of unsuccessful applications because I thought been a Certified Chartered Accountant (ACCA) I should be able to get office jobs. Though I was wrong because as a student I can't work full time and most of the accounting Jobs are during the normal working hours. So I had to settle for a factory work which was not even easy to get too. The factory only gives students two shift a week; 8hrs per shift and they don't joke with that because of immigration problem. Because of this only disciplined students like myself can save from what we get at the end of the month after paying bills.

Thank God I paid all my tuition before coming that burden was not there. I pity people that made part payment with the hope of coming here to work and pay the remaining. I can tell you for a fact those that did that didn't find it so easy as they had to miss classes and breach immigration laws to achieve that.

I became so unhappy because I have got so much free time that i couldn't use because of visa restriction and i knew how much i was making back home I concluded that I was not going to stay back after my program that I would return to my business as I still had part of my capital in the bank but it's going to be easy as someone just returning from abroad because I have to do my business differently from the way I was doing it before I traveled.

I latter decided to use my spare time for volunteer jobs, I was referred to a small Accounting firm by someone in my church and I was working for them for free to gain experience two to three days a week. Because my program was Fast Track I only did just three modules and research for the whole of my program and I had so much free time.

So, when my visa was about to expire they asked me if I would like to stay, but they can't afford to pay me. We later reached a compromise..... If you understand what I mean. Though the pay was small but I accepted for three reasons.... 1. To gain more experience. 2. Nigeria was in recession going back home to rely on business was not certain. Because it's an importation business which was threatened by exchange rates and increased in clearing costs. I even tried to send some goods last year I made losses, 3. because I believe i will still be able to do some other jobs. I got the TIER 2........... eventually.

Last year I breached my visa rule, asides from my accounting Job I was also doing a support work. I worked for like 19hrs a day; 7 hrs day for accounting and 12hrs night for support work. Don't ask me when I sleep o. But I was punctual with my accounting job and did like 5days a week for the support work. It's not easy but the money from the support work is the motivating factor.

But, since this year I have slowed down with the support work doing one or two shifts in a week because i want to stop breaching the laws of the land. Please Expert in the house is Support work a social work? Because my visa allows me to do social work for 20hrs in a week.

Also For you guys to know that our fear is genuine, I want to settle down now and I'm scared of bringing someone from Nigeria because of my present situation. Because I have limited access to work and am not earning much too. And the chick might be coming with a different mind set and meet reality when she gets here.

She might not be able to secure a professional job even if she's doing a white collar of the job in Nigeria now and that might not go down well with her. . Also, if I remain on my current job, she will most likely become the bread winner for the remaining years for me to get my Indefinite Leave to remain (LIR). Because she will certainly be earning far more than me as she will have not restrictions on her visa.

My question is, does it really worth it bring someone from Nigeria that does not have an idea of what it takes to a get stay here? Apparently she might not know the value of my current visa. Or I should just look for someone here that knows about the reality of life here and marry?

Mind you, I didn't have any relationship before i came here.

8 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by AngelicBeing: 5:25pm On Apr 29, 2017
Amhappy:
I think giving someone a positive direction is very okay. Going abroad is a prayer point in many churches in Nigeria so if you guide,you are an Angel grin. A lot of great dreams has been killed in this country. There are a lot of responsible Nigerians abroad so not everybody is a criminal. People migrate from many countries to the West,even progressing ones not to talk of a stagnant country like Nigeria. Nigerians are strong hearted and hard working people. Most white cannot survive what an average Nigerians face everyday. When my cousin,a nurse first travelled to the UK,she called to say that Nigeria is in hell mind you she was working here before she left. The quality of life in Nigeria is so low. Oppression and impunity is also very high;police,army,agbero,conductor,passenger,employer,politician etc. A country where police flogged a Prof in law in public. A place where SSS beat school teachers etc. Worst of it,the govt cares not about the people. We know it's not easy in developed world but it's tougher in undeveloped world.
We should not encourage anyone going abroad illegally but most people who do,has nothing more to live for. That explains why someone will travel to Europe by road,through the desert to Libya and enter a doomed boat. Until we fix Naija the painful exodus will continue. If anyone wan jand just show him the way and explain the implication shikina. Our economy is bad and Nigeria need the dollar.
cool
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by AreaFada2: 5:53pm On Apr 29, 2017
Omotayor123:
why all of them come dey die at the endundecided

Tnx God for your life ooootongue
it might sound funny to you but not to their families. In a typical black person's way, death is always something we find difficult to accept that it happens daily. That it has not happened near you lately does not change it.
A fit, slim and healthy former footballer called Ugo Ehiogu died suddenly just two weeks ago in London. I guess you would doubt me if not for the media. For many us, death is something we see virtually daily in line of work or training.

Yes, I thank God for my life for very specific reasons that you will never know. You will never never know my dear.

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Apr 29, 2017
ugohemma:
Me too is not understanding...
An uncle stayed 35yrs before building his first house in the villa... His brother 20.. My junior brother is also stuck in the system... 6yrs counting yet.. No means of live hood... Education crashed,Permit hope crashed.... They just told the young guy to go marry a citizen...

When it came to me.. I just told dem to give me that money to travel out to try it out first here in Nigeria.. Then if I fail to survive then we can now think of travelling out..

There is nothing sweet like meeting people of like minds,language and understanding... We attime quarrel with a driver or conductor till we reach our destination yet we all shake hands and continue our ways.. No police, no immigration bla bla bla bla... When I see foreigners I feel proud to look at them....

Saturday.. I go cast my bet, sunday, go dance shoki for church... Mondays, go stand for newspaper stand like reporter... Other day na so so Amebo I dey do... Mehn life is easy somehow here cos, u have morthan 3 options to try out if one fail to work out.

MY LIFE IN NIGERIA MUST WORK FIRST.

Hehe, I feel you man, what are the 3 options?
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Ralphlauren(m): 6:11pm On Apr 29, 2017
tobaseye:

To add to your points and what have been said so far......

Nobody is saying those that have the means to migrate legally should not do so. They are only saying don't migrate illegally because you will become a burden to yourself, your friends and relatives, and to the govt.

No doubt Nigeria is hard even the rich are also feeling the heat now by one way or the other now.

So if you must migrate please do it legally and with a good plan. I know people that came in with a student visa and in less than two years before their student visa expires they get married legally to white chick. Note that it was a bit easier for them because they had planned it to come and get married even before they got the student visa and they adhered strictly to their plan. In fact one of them had to travel to London the second day he arrived in the UK to me a lady that was arranged down for him by one of his brothers in London. I guess that didn't work out and he hooked with a white chick thereafter and they are married now. Note.... He had a concrete plan before coming.

Another way is coming with your spouse, both can go through the student visa at different time (Msc and PhD) and beat the 10 years legal resident route. Remember that when one is working the other is schooling. And for the whole 10 years you will only be working for the govt because of the tuition fees. its more difficult with couples with kids but its worth trying though.

I also heard from people that if you have a child born in the UK that you can file for paper when the child is 6yrs or 7yrs as a parent. So couple going through the student visa route can explore this if it's real. Experts in the house can correct me on this and throw more light on it.

I concur with people that said, if you have tangible things you are doing in Nigeria think well before you abandon what you are doing to pursue uncertainties. But if you don't have something worth you are doing why not but do it legally and with a good plan.

That those abroad don't want other to come because of competition is a big fallacy. Who knows who here. Your relatives don't just want you to come with a visit visa and become a liability to them. As most of them are still struggling living from hand to mouth.

We are sharing the hard stories so that you can prepare yourself for the worse case scenario before you come. And who says luck can't shine on you.

Information on how to travel is there on the internet you can read and go through the process without the help of people living in abroad. All you can get from the people in diaspora are bad experiences and discouragement. To be candid that is what they have got to share with you so that when you eventually find your way in, you will know that you are solely responsible for the decision you have taken to come abroad and not be waiting to get support from someone that is still trying to make a living also. And also if they couldn't provide you the help you were expecting from them you wouldn't be blaming them for given you false information about the reality of life in abroad.

And I strongly believe that the best gift people can give is information which Nigerians on nairaland have been doing for many years till date. People still go as far as sharing their personal experiences. The bottom line is that it may go very rough at the beginning but at the end you may reap it if you succeed ni o.

My own personal experience..... When i was in Nigeria I had about two businesses and was making at much as 150k to 250k monthly. Not married but with responsibilities of my younger ones. I left Nigeria 2015 with a student visa. But regretted my coming three months in the Uk after series of unsuccessful applications because I thought been a Certified Chartered Accountant (ACCA) I should be able to get office jobs. Though I was wrong because as a student I can't work full time and most of the accounting Jobs are during the normal working hours. So I had to settle for a factory work which was not even easy to get too. The factory only gives students two shift a week; 8hrs per shift and they don't joke with that because of immigration problem. Because of this only disciplined students like myself can save from what we get at the end of the month after paying bills.

Thank God I paid all my tuition before coming that burden was not there. I pity people that made part payment with the hope of coming here to work and pay the remaining. I can tell you for a fact those that did that didn't find it so easy as they had to miss classes and breach immigration laws to achieve that.

I became so unhappy because I have got so much free time that i couldn't use because of visa restriction and i knew how much i was making back home I concluded that I was not going to stay back after my program that I would return to my business as I still had part of my capital in the bank but it's going to be easy as someone just returning from abroad because I have to do my business differently from the way I was doing it before I traveled.

I latter decided to use my spare time for volunteer jobs, I was referred to a small Accounting firm by someone in my church and I was working for them for free to gain experience two to three days a week. Because my program was Fast Track I only did just three modules and research for the whole of my program and I had so much free time.

So, when my visa was about to expire they asked me if I would like to stay, but they can't afford to pay me. We later reached a compromise..... If you understand what I mean. Though the pay was small but I accepted for three reasons.... 1. To gain more experience. 2. Nigeria was in recession going back home to rely on business was not certain. Because it's an importation business which was threatened by exchange rates and increased in clearing costs. I even tried to send some goods last year I made losses, 3. because I believe i will still be able to do some other jobs. I got the TIER 2........... eventually.

Last year I breached my visa rule, asides from my accounting Job I was also doing a support work. I worked for like 19hrs a day; 7 hrs day for accounting and 12hrs night for support work. Don't ask me when I sleep o. But I was punctual with my accounting job and did like 5days a week for the support work. It's not easy but the money from the support work is the motivating factor.

But, since this year I have slowed down with the support work doing one or two shifts in a week because i want to stop breaching the laws of the land. Please Expert in the house is Support work a social work? Because my visa allows me to do social work for 20hrs in a week.

Also For you guys to know that our fear is genuine, I want to settle down now and I'm scared of bringing someone from Nigeria because of my present situation. Because I have limited access to work and am not earning much too. And the chick might be coming with a different mind set and meet reality when she gets here.

She might not be able to secure a professional job even if she's doing a white collar of the job in Nigeria now and that might not go down well with her. . Also, if I remain on my current job, she will most likely become the bread winner for the remaining years for me to get my Indefinite Leave to remain (LIR). Because she will certainly be earning far more than me as she will have not restrictions on her visa.

My question is, does it really worth it bring someone from Nigeria that does not have an idea of what it takes to a get stay here? Apparently she might not know the value of my current visa. Or I should just look for someone here that knows about the reality of life here and marry?

Mind you, I didn't have any relationship before i came here.

Bro, I will suggest you stop the support work. The support work you are doing is not social work. Social work refers to unpaid voluntary work. Your visa allows you to work strictly for your employer and no one else. You cannot earn income from another source.

Your tier 1 visa details are linked to your NI number. If you are doing the support work using your real details and NI, then you could run into serious trouble when it's time to extend your tier 1 or apply for ILR as home office will check your NI records with HMRC as part of their checks.

There are a lot of decent single girls that you can hook up with and get married to in the UK. All you need to do is socialise more especially at a Nigerian church. You do not have to date/marry a girl that's a citizen. That's the mistake many guys make here. There are decent single ladies on Tier 1 and Tier 2 visas with very good jobs (some even own their own homes) that's are a year or two away from ILR that you can meet,date and marry.

Finally, are you acquiring core accounting skills at your job? If yes, go to indeed and apply for accounting roles. Just make sure you are applying DIRECTLY to banks and other institutions with Tier 2 license. There are a lot of companies that sponsor the right candidates. Someone I know was recently sponsored by HSBC. All you have to do make sure your CV is on point and you apply. The big 4 are constantly seeking experienced accounting graduates. As long as you do not restrict yourself to one part of UK and you are ready to work in Wales or Scotland or Nothern Ireland, you will definitely get a sponsor.

You actually stand a higher chance of getting another company to sponsor you as you are already on the Tier 2 category than another person that's on a student visa. It is very very possible to get another sponsor that will do the right thing and pay you in line with your SOC classification. You just need to have the right mindset.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Ralphlauren(m): 6:25pm On Apr 29, 2017
deepchocolate:

Tell me about it . Many people living in the west are just survivors . They made it difficult to take money out of the system.
Last time i went to the bank to take $ 5000 of my own saving , it was like pulling teeth. They wanted to know what i wanna do with it etc...etc... Thats my . own cash jare

At the end of slavery , many negros didnt know where to go .since by law they couldnt own a property .
The slave master came with a system called "SHARECROPPING" .
Meaning you are allow to stay on the plantation. I pay you dimes for your labour . But you can only use that dime to buy foods , rent on the plantation only.
Your hard earn money stay on the plantation or in the system. Thats the real America !
If you have kids , it becomes harder to even evade the system.

They are asking you such questions for your own safety.

People have been known to empty their savings to invest in Ponzi schemes or transfer such sums to fraudsters.

If there's an unusual cash withdrawal from your bank account, the cashiers are trained to engaged in small talk just to find out what the withdrawal is for. They will not stop you from withdrawing the cash if you give a legitimate reason. If they feel you are about to lose your money to fraudsters, they will only advise you for your own safety.

Obodo oyinbo is a cashless society. You have no reason to carry cash around when you can make online transfers or pay with a bank card.

4 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by ollah2: 6:32pm On Apr 29, 2017
queendoreez:

Finland.

Good. Have u moved now?
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Basalt(m): 6:46pm On Apr 29, 2017
You guys just killed my interest in coming to abroad.

I think I better stay for Nigeria and do my masters and start hustling while I wait my time to succeed here.

I am currently into N power program and I also earn atleast 50k monthly from ponzi scheme with a second class upper Bsc certificate from a federal school.

So once I am through with my masters here in Nigeria, I enter business full time while looking for assistant lecturer job and other related Jobs.

2 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by tobaseye: 7:03pm On Apr 29, 2017
Ralphlauren:

Bro, I will suggest you stop the support work. The support work you are doing is not social work. Social work refers to unpaid voluntary work. Your visa allows you to work strictly for your employer and no one else. You cannot earn income from another source.

Your tier 1 visa details are linked to your NI number. If you are doing the support work using your real details and NI, then you could run into serious trouble when it's time to extend your tier 1 or apply for ILR as home office will check your NI records with HMRC as part of their checks.

There are a lot of decent single girls that you can hook up with and get married to in the UK. All you need to do is socialise more especially at a Nigerian church. You do not have to date/marry a girl that's a citizen. That's the mistake many guys make here. There are decent single ladies on Tier 1 and Tier 2 visas with very good jobs (some even own their own homes) that's are a year or two away from ILR that you can meet,date and marry.

Finally, are you acquiring core accounting skills at your job? If yes, go to indeed and apply for accounting roles. Just make sure you are applying DIRECTLY to banks and other institutions with Tier 2 license. There are a lot of companies that sponsor the right candidates. Someone I know was recently sponsored by HSBC. All you have to do make sure your CV is on point and you apply. The big 4 are constantly seeking experienced accounting graduates. As long as you do not restrict yourself to one part of UK and you are ready to work in Wales or Scotland or Nothern Ireland, you will definitely get a sponsor.

You actually stand a higher chance of getting another company to sponsor you as you are already on the Tier 2 category than another person that's on a student visa. It is very very possible to get another sponsor that will do the right thing and pay you in line with your SOC classification. You just need to have the right mindset.

Thanks for the information. Yes I'm doing core accounting job with the accounting firm.

As regards looking for another Job, am also working on it.

5 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Apr 29, 2017
azezola:
U. You can still get ise gbeya gbeya without papers in US
chai. omo nijeriya, which one be use gbeya gbeya. jamisi
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Freeopod(m): 7:46pm On Apr 29, 2017
Freeopod:
Wow.. can't believe I read till the last page. All points from both sides duely noted.
Please anyone in the US should mention the legal ways to enter into the US so that those willing to travel can choose the one most appropriate for them.
Those people who won the American Visa lottery, are they seen as US citizens or they are just green card holder with work permit? I have an uncle who won't the visa lottery approximately 20 years ago, I'm planning to speak to him soon as regards migration but I want to know if his papers and documentations as a lotteey winner can facilitate migration of a niece. Thanks Yall

?
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Apr 29, 2017
lifeisbeautiful:
Am not here to discourage or to encourage anybody that is willing to move aboard,but to assure you that anyone can survive in any country as long as the fellow has a barbing skills and the person must be able to live in black populated cities or ghetto. No where in the world that black don't barb there hairs so if you have barbing skills you can attach yourself to a barber's shop pending the time you will get a better job and barbers are connected due to different people that visit Barbershop

How much will your barbing fetch you at £5 per head especially on weekdays.
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by ferhyntorlah(f): 8:01pm On Apr 29, 2017
salford:

You are right...and it is untaxed if not through an agency.

Are you serious? On another note, is it a must for them to pay tax on the money since they aren't registered with an agency.
Thanks
Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by ChristoBam: 9:15pm On Apr 29, 2017
Nawa for all of una o. It's on threads like this you'll see one person whose uncle,brother,brother in law,sisters friend,friend,close relative e.t.c is seriously suffering in the u.s. It's only people that are suffering in the u.s that all of una sabi. The thing is that all of you based in Nigeria that are giving different bad news are all trying to console yourselves. I'm sure u'll tried at one time or the other to travel out but were not successful. And some of you claiming you go for vacation do not live abroad because there is simply no way u can have an extended stay. How u wan take get d citizenship.
And u guys based in the u.s too don't know d privileges you have.It's normal to think you'd have had a better life if u were in Nigeria and the main reason is this. After some years of staying in the u.s y'all don't compare yourself with your average friends like you in Nigeria but tend to compare yourself with the most successful of your mates who is making millions.
I'm really dissapointed in people that have spent close to 20 years or so in the u.s and are still complaining about taxes. You enjoy good roads,good health care,stable electricity,clean water e.t.c and you want all these things for free. The lifestyle in the u.s entails you have a good house,a car,pay your bills and save for vacations. Don't lemme even talk about that of Nigeria. The reason I'm saying all of these is because of I'm an average Nigerian that see the struggles of an average Nigerian everyday.
Believe me if u are smart and u live in the u.s legally you'll live a great and successful life. And if you're not smart enough to make it in the u.s, don't lemme decieve u can never make it in Nigeria as well.
And some Nigerians sef,how'll u bring your b.s.c in buisness administration from ebonyi state university and expect to make it big in the u.s. Just apply for your masters or better still go for another lucrative degree like computer engineering or nursing.That's why I said any smart person will make it in u.s.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? by DerKaiser: 9:17pm On Apr 29, 2017
amii131:

sisi mi abeg u fit help me as sponsor make i come germany i can speak german i don learn german.

Sorry I know this request is not for me but still I wish to respond to it.

You said you have learned the german language. How advanced is it? if I may ask. Is it C1, C2, B1 or B2? Do you have any certification like Zertifikat Deutsch or equivalent that can be used to apply for studies in Germany.

I would like to help you secure an admission for an undergraduate or postgraduate study depending on you academic level.

I would also kindly like to know this because I believe the German language is too unique to be wasted in a country where it is not spoken.

You can also ask me anything about living or studying in Germany or even questions on immigration and its subsequent laws.

I studied in Germany and working there currently. Also my German is very advanced so you can also ask questions regarding the language too.

Write me, preferably on this thread so that others can gain some information too but you can also write me via PM if you wish.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (28) (Reply)

US Shares Relief Materials To Nigerians In China Thrown Into The Streets / Which Country Can I Relocate To With 6million / Nigerians - Leave The UK (United Kingdom) ALONE!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 188
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.