Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,831 members, 7,820,912 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:20 AM

Is Living Abroad Worth It? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Living Abroad Worth It? (16775 Views)

10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad / 15 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad / The Truth About Living Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by CarlosVent(m): 8:22pm On Jan 13, 2010
depending on what u can abroad cos Ghana is also abroad including Chad.

well if u have a good hand work or job here no need to nurse the idea for abroad
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by kokoye(m): 8:22pm On Jan 13, 2010
Busy_body,

What do you think of Nigerians paying taxes so that basic amenities are made available in Nigeria?

Cos it seems you really dont see what my issue is with the poster's thread.

taxes!
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by PurestBoy(m): 8:24pm On Jan 13, 2010
Why not try Yemen visa?
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by kokoye(m): 8:24pm On Jan 13, 2010
Spader9:

HELL YEA!

Get the fu*k outta naija ja and Come to america.

You live in Houston . . . what part?
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by mikeoscar: 8:26pm On Jan 13, 2010
I have applied for UK visa 6 times and they've refused me.  I just say make I dey go come go come o.  

Imagine oo, this UK embassy likes people that feed them with false information and those are the people they give visas.

Anyway, na so so suffer some people dey suffer for there o, because they would have used all their money to pay for one tax or the other.  

My close friend called me last week that she wants to come home finally because she is tired.  Some of my friends are complaining as well.

Is suffering abroad worth it or [is] living in your father's land as a king [better]?

Incoherent. Inconsistent. embarassed embarassed embarassed, undecided undecidedNext please!!!
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Spader9(m): 8:28pm On Jan 13, 2010
kokoye:

You live in Houston . . . what part?

South Main area. . .
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Redman44(m): 8:30pm On Jan 13, 2010
I'm getting tired of these kind of threads on Nairaland. Even mad people in Nigeria know that living abroad has many advantages if one has the right papers and the favour of God. I have not seen anyone who has stayed in Europe, North America or Australia/New Zealand for 1-2 years and did not come back to Nigeria a changed person.  Your thinking and approach to life will suddenly change unless you're doomed as a human being.

@Poster, if you've been denied a British visa six times, I think you should stop dreaming of going abroad and find something to do in Nigeria. If you cannot satisfy the Entrance Clearance Officers at the British High Commision, I don't think you'll be able to obtain visas to the USA, Canada, Germany, sweden, Italy etc etc. It is easier to get a British visa than many other countries.

Nigeria is a virgin land for solid business ideas and dogged entrepreneurs. Nigeria has opportunities for those who are willing to explore them.  I believe in Nigeria and things will get better as Nigerians have started demanding for change. There is nowhere like home!!

1 Like

Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by kokoye(m): 8:33pm On Jan 13, 2010
Spader9:

South Main area. . .

cool. used to live in the southwest area - briar forest / dairy ashford.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Gbenge77(m): 8:40pm On Jan 13, 2010
I think it is,really!
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by MrCrackles(m): 8:41pm On Jan 13, 2010
Poster

Stay in your country. . . It is not by force cool
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by kokoye(m): 8:42pm On Jan 13, 2010
Crackles, that your profile picture is funny!!
cheesy
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by MrCrackles(m): 8:44pm On Jan 13, 2010
kokoye:

Crackles, that your profile picture is funny!!
cheesy
grin wink
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Busybody2(f): 8:49pm On Jan 13, 2010
kokoye:

Busy_body,

What do you think of Nigerians paying taxes so that basic amenities are made available in Nigeria?

Cos it seems you really dont see what my issue is with the poster's thread.

taxes!

His "Anyway, na so so suffer some people dey suffer for there o, because they would have used all their money to pay for one tax or the other" does not literarily mean he is against people paying tax, tis just a figure of speech to indicate that people abroad, especially in the UK, get taxed to the hilt and their eyeballs, AND THIS IS VERY TRUE.

You guys in the US pay taxes too, but at least you see where your money's worth is going, but here in the UK, forget it, it pays to fiddle the system and stay at home on the dole, than go to work. They don't reward honesty here at all. It is not uncommon to be on benefits and be raking in £30, 000k per annum, and they still get their children's school fees, paid, meals paid, half price travel on the trains and buses, free rent, free access to health, etc, whereas someone who slaves to go out to work would have to earn around £45,000 before tax to get that same amount, but have to contribute to their children's tuition/upkeep if in university, don't get half price travel, have to pay council tax, don't get free school meal,  have to pay £7 for every medication dispensed by their family Doctor, etc.

As far as the UK is concerned, the more tax you pay into the system, the less you get out of the Government, they expect the "rich" to pick up the tab for the poor or else how can you account for every working household to see £800 of their money going to those whose family are unemployed and on the dole and this is for housing benefit alone oh shocked

NB
By rich, i mean once you start earning upwards of £25,000 and above per annum, and how many Nigerians can boast of that, i bet its less than 10%, unless they work every God given hours lipsrsealed
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Spader9(m): 8:52pm On Jan 13, 2010
kokoye:

Southwest. . . One of my fav. parts of Houston.

You hear about our Mayoral election?
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Sauron1: 8:57pm On Jan 13, 2010
Busy_body:

NB
By rich, i mean once you start earning upwards of £25,000 and above per annum, and how many Nigerians can boast of that, i bet its less than 10%, unless they work every God given hours lipsrsealed

Loads of Nigerians can boast of that.
How much is £25k +. U must really think Naija peops dey suffer for here.
Go to the City and see Naija boys pinching £35K + with their normal 9-5.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by cvibe: 8:59pm On Jan 13, 2010
@poster,

If you want to know if living abroad is worth it, ask the Indians, cos they own almost all the businesses in the UK.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Busybody2(f): 9:03pm On Jan 13, 2010
~Sauron~:

Loads of Nigerians can boast of that.
How much is £25k +. U must really think Naija peops dey suffer for here.
Go to the City and see Naija boys pinching £35K + with their normal 9-5.

Jackal don come undecided Wey Akolawole, na hin get your code tongue

Loads of naija ko, majority of naija ni undecided I worked in the square miles too before, amd I can tell you the number of blacks holding down good jobs are negligible. Why do you think the initial rate at which one was required to start repaying student loans was cut back from when you start earning £15,000 per annum, to once you start earning £10,000 per annum Graduates at that embarassed embarassed embarassed  

cvibe:

@poster,

If you want to know if living abroad is worth it, ask the Indians, cos they own almost all the businesses in the UK.

The Asians, those lucky buggers, at least the one good thing they have going for them is that they don't have the "pull him down mentality problem" that has infested us Nigerians to the core, they always look out for their own, even if they are strangers lipsrsealed
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by mrofficial(m): 9:03pm On Jan 13, 2010
They don't like truth. So lie dude!!!
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by platinumnk(f): 9:05pm On Jan 13, 2010
kokoye:

I think DairyAshford Area needs to be renamed to Nigeria Land
I have lived there for a few summers with my aunt and that place has tooo many Nigerians shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked lipsrsealed
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by mikeoscar: 9:06pm On Jan 13, 2010
You hear about our Mayoral election?

You mean Gay-oral Lesboral Election grin grin
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by mikeoscar: 9:09pm On Jan 13, 2010
I have lived there for a few summers with my aunt and that place has tooo many Nigerians       

I'm Nigerian, I live on Memorial grin grin

But seriously most of those who live around these places work for the OIL/GAS or related business. Then those who have been influenced by the Parapo or Nmamadu thingy smiley. Cool though.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Spader9(m): 9:10pm On Jan 13, 2010
mike oscar:

You mean Gay-oral Lesboral Election grin grin

lol. . . You got it. I didn't partake of course.

platinumnk:

I have lived there for a few summers with my aunt and that place has tooo many Nigerians shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked lipsrsealed

Over 200,000 Nigerian Americans reside in Houston.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Sauron1: 9:11pm On Jan 13, 2010
Busy_body:

Jackal don come undecided Wey Akolawole, na hin get your code tongue

Akola ke. . . . . .Wetin Akola sabi?

Loads of naija ko, majority of naija ni undecided I worked in the square miles too before, amd I can tell you the number of blacks holding down good jobs are negligible. Why do you think the initial rate at which one was required to start repaying student loans was cut back from when you start earning £15,000 per annum, to once you start earning £10,000 per annum Graduates at that embarassed embarassed embarassed  

I don't think they are negligible. I know enough Nigerians earning mad pay for various engineering/IT companies.
There are many jobs still doling out £250-£600 a day in the Citeh and Nigerians are on to them like a rash.
U need to change the kinda peops you roll with jor.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Spader9(m): 9:13pm On Jan 13, 2010
mike oscar:

I'm Nigerian, I live on Memorial

Do you utilize Metro?
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by platinumnk(f): 9:13pm On Jan 13, 2010
mike oscar:

I'm Nigerian, I live on Memorial

cool! houston is my favorite American City because its like New York; only cheaper and a way warmer climate.
Spader9:

Over 200,000 Nigerian Americans reside in Houston.

I know that, but I lived in Missori City , Texas and it was the normal population of Nigerians

But Dairyashford area? hahaha I went to walmart every 3 person was Nigerian or from somewhere close.
Pull up at a stop sign all u see is 9ja shops everywhere grin

Spader9:

Do you utilize Metro?
I like using the Metro when I was in  downtown Houtston, first time using the trains too cheesy
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by jaybee3(m): 9:16pm On Jan 13, 2010
Haba busybody,
have u forgotten abt inner london allowance added to salaries? even normal regular admin staff earn abt 24k per annum.
most naija professionals that i know earn way over your quoted figure.

And don't you think u will av to lie your heart out to get yur quoted figure if one was to go on benefit?
How r you going to be able to get a mortgage and all other necessities that's needed via credit?
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Spader9(m): 9:18pm On Jan 13, 2010
platinumnk:

But Dairyashford area? hahaha I went to walmart every 3 person was Nigerian or from somewhere close.
Pull up at a stop sign all u see is 9ja shops everywhere grin

I'll check it out this weekend. . .

platinumnk:

I like using the Metro when I was in downtown Houtston, first time using the trains too cheesy

I like the 45ft Commuter Coaches. Those seats are too comfortable.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Jan 13, 2010
@topic
It depends where you go, for example, in the UK, I mean, when you're squatting in places like peckham and camberwell, it's highly unlikely you'll be living the life, and I've heard that's where most Nigerians go when they first travel to the UK. Like all places, there's the good and the bad.

I can't really tell you if it's 'worth it' because I've never lived in Nigeria before and therefore cannot compare, but what I can tell you is to possibly research the areas you wish to stay, hang about etc wink
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by platinumnk(f): 9:21pm On Jan 13, 2010
Spader9:

I'll check it out this weekend. . .

I like the 45ft Commuter Coaches. Those seats are too comfortable.
Haba u want to meet more nigerians? some places looks like replicas of Lagos, people getting out their cars and flapping their attire. . . hilarious . .  most ppl run away from that though lol

Yea i am highly impressed with Houstons Commuter system . . A lot of professionals ride the buses and it most of the ones I rode are neat and clean.  I  plan on moving there in a couple of years. smiley

@grey poupon- obviously he thinks its worth it . . he applied 6 times grin grin grin

but in some aspects - nothing can beat the quiet and peacefullness of your village grin
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Busybody2(f): 9:22pm On Jan 13, 2010
~Sauron~:

Akola ke. . . . . .Wetin Akola sabi?

Do you have them to wait to hear the answer tongue grin

~Sauron~:

I don't think they are negligible. I know enough Nigerians earning mad pay for various engineering/IT companies.
There are many jobs still doling out £250-£600 a day in the Citeh and Nigerians are on to them like a rash.
U need to change the kinda peops you roll with jor.

I agree IT used to pay good, that even with basic helpdesk knowledge, one could earn in excess of £25,000k per annum, but all that na old story, their salaries has been slashed and I know plenty Engineers with PHD's working in Safeway and Mcdonalds jare, no come and use bobo for me jooo, times are hard now, people have to do 2 or 3 jobs to make ends meet cheesy grin cheesy

Carry out a survey to ask how many times graduates apply for £20k jobs only to get knocked back that they are under-qualified, and for those applying for jobs around £10k to be told they are over-qualified grin Abi no be this UK wey you need experience to be able to qualify for the role of a toilet cleaner grin grin
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by mikeoscar: 9:24pm On Jan 13, 2010
Do you utilize Metro?

No Buddy, I don't.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by platinumnk(f): 9:25pm On Jan 13, 2010
Busy_body:

I agree IT used to pay good, that even with basic helpdesk knowledge, one could earn in excess of £25,000k per annum, but all that na old story, their salaries has been slashed and I know plenty Engineers with PHD's working in Safeway and Mcdonalds jare, no come and use bobo for me jooo, [b]times are hard now, people have to do 2 or 3 jobs to make ends meet :[/b]D grin cheesy

thanks for reminding me not to quit angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

It Is Impossible To Save $30 (₦9,540) Daily In Canada / Lagos-ibadan Rail Will Begin Operations In January 2019 – FG / Accident Involving A Tanker At Benin-auchi Okene Express Way (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.