Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,842 members, 7,820,930 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:42 AM

Is Living Abroad Worth It? - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Living Abroad Worth It? (16776 Views)

10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad / 15 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad / The Truth About Living Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by CGKing(m): 10:49am On Jan 14, 2010
sauer:

It's a real big shame that Nigerians have learnt the art of doing menial jobs abroad so they can continue staying there. It's silly and insane, really!
Why have Nigerians brought Nigeria such shame??
Sometimes, you just wonder. . . . is it worth it at all?
I'm forced to conclude that Nigerians are to a great extent shameless individuals who put money and class above human dignity, and will stop at nothing until they actually prove this!!  angry

I doubt if this is the real picture. Many of them got themselves deceived by what they see on TV and the imagination of possibilities that could be available in a nation where there is constant light, no fuel scarcity, effective traffic control system. . and all the goodies of developed nations. Only to get there to find a real shocker. So they get the menial jobs _a bank manager in naija o_ in hopes that "e go beta". They have lived in an under developed society all their lives and never knew they were going in for a knock out - an organised society. Dont blame it all on them o. lol
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Nobody: 10:59am On Jan 14, 2010
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Sagamite(m): 11:08am On Jan 14, 2010
chaircover:

I am assuming that you have taken tax and NI contributions into consideration and these are take home pay figures. I believe that there is a big difference between someone earning 18,000 and 32,000. We are talking about a £1,000 difference a month.

I wouldn’t say husband and wife both in permanent jobs earning a combined income of £64,000 after tax are just managing; we are talking of a take home pay of £5333 per month!

We also need to say a word on contractors earning mega bucks because not all contractors are in work all year round especially in the present economic climate and I personally know of quite a few contractors who have been sitting at home for well over as year now.

This is before tax. The difference is about £800 per month but most times people cut the coat according to their size.

For the combined income couples, if you factor in cost of childcare and everyone trying to send their children to private school, it sucks the life out of their earnings.

Yep, that is why I don't really have much regards for contractor earnings.

They don't pay when they don't come to work.

They face all risk on their own, if ill, no pay.

No pension, so they have to plan for their own future.

No variety, as they can not move to another department and be trained.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by ohisng(m): 11:11am On Jan 14, 2010
@Demdem, hit jackpot simply means u will get a good job or work IF you possess RELEVANT qualifications and are focused (most boast only of first degrees that some of them got by "blocking" lecturers
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Nobody: 11:34am On Jan 14, 2010
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Sagamite(m): 11:38am On Jan 14, 2010
chaircover:

You are right; childcare does take a big chunk. I remember paying £700 a month just for my daughter’s nursery 6 years ago and only God knows how much nursery places cost these days.

I don’t send my kids to private school; I only made sure that we moved to a good area with very good schools and we paid the extra for tuition for our son and he managed to get into a very good grammar school whose results match and sometimes surpass private schools so I am happy with that.

Like you rightly said, one cuts ones coat according to ones size wherever one finds himself in the world be it Naija or the UK grin

Fantastic, that is the strategy I want to employ for my kids. I really don't like being ripped off, I have virtually no intentions of paying for private schools.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by LadyT(f): 11:40am On Jan 14, 2010
angry

So you finally agree to our 6 kids then?

Sagamite:

Fantastic, that is the strategy I want to employ for my kids. I really don't like being ripped off, I have virtually no intentions of paying for private schools.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by debosky(m): 11:42am On Jan 14, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I can go on and on but I just felt to give you an idea of what life abroad promises for everyone. You asked and I answered. I just felt your question sounds more like one from someone who needs to be convinced it is worth it and I hope what I have given you so far helps.

I don't know the kinds of friends you have there but we all pay taxes( nigerians pay taxes too) and we all have to work hours each day to make a living( I believe many more work longer hours in Nigeria, than their peers here do for obvious reasons). That your friends are suffering does not in anyway mean everyone else is. I have yet to hate a day in my life abroad.

It would be good to note that all the 'good things' promised by Kobojunkie only apply IF you are legal and earning a decent wage and not struggling to get by at TESCO or Walmart.

Life abroad does not promise that for EVERYBODY. Please don't be misled.

People are living as heroin junkies in abandoned buildings in Italy all in the name of being 'abroad'. People are suffering the most inhuman treatment and are daily losing their sanity all in the name of being abroad.

Even with all the qualifications in the world - there is NO GUARANTEE of anything.

PS - Those sending their kids to private schools are simply paying for the expensive cleaners who earn £30,000 per year as someone claimed on this thread. grin grin grin
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Omoteeh: 12:37pm On Jan 14, 2010
« #22 on: Yesterday at 07:46:08 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[b]platinumnk (f)[/b]Depends on what u what u want.

And Im tired of people saying its "this" easy to make it in 9ja. Shut the hell up too many are starving to utter such rubbish.

Im not saying its better, but to have bare nessities is better that everything

You are so right. I am tired of always hearing that you can make it in Nigera as if someone will just throw money at you. There are thousands in Nigeria with no jobs and they'll be glad to do anywork and at least have the basic amenities like light, water and health care. I came back to Nigeria to a so called high fly corporate job all with a brand new car an dlet me tell you, i regret it after several hrs in traffic, no time for kids, horrible corporate culture and almost hopeless political situation in NIgeria. I for one wouldn't mind going back to my comfortable credit control job with peace, basic amenities and family time. I fo rone never experienced racism. When you have valid papers and a positive attitude, the sky would just be a starting point. Kapish?
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by kokorunna(m): 12:48pm On Jan 14, 2010
As you mentioned, refused 6 times then stay where you are.

It might be a blessing in disguise and not all Nigerians aboard are SUFFERING
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Omoteeh: 1:02pm On Jan 14, 2010
platinumnk (f)Depends on what u what u want.

And Im tired of people saying its "this" easy to make it in 9ja. Shut the hell up too many are starving to utter such rubbish.

Im not saying its better, but to have bare nessities is better that everything

You are so right. I am tired of always hearing that you can make it in Nigeria as if someone will just throw money at you. There are thousands in Nigeria with no jobs and they'll be glad to do anywork and at least have the basic amenities like light, water and health care. I came back to Nigeria to a so called high fly corporate job all with a brand new car an dlet me tell you, i regret it after several hrs in traffic, no time for kids, horrible corporate culture and almost hopeless political situation in NIgeria. I for one wouldn't mind going back to my comfortable credit control job with peace, basic amenities and family time. I never experienced racism. When you have valid papers and a positive attitude, the sky would just be a starting point. Kapish?

1 Like

Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by GBAS: 1:18pm On Jan 14, 2010
if you stay there legally its worth it.Even doing menial jobs ,dont be deceived of being patriotric in this country because everything is by connections but over there you're sure of better life no matter what your status is.

1 Like

Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by honeric01(m): 1:25pm On Jan 14, 2010
@Kobojunkie

$3 for 4 liters of petrol is expensive, how much does 4 liters cost when there's scarcity?

1 Like

Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by honeric01(m): 1:29pm On Jan 14, 2010
Information is power, you don't have to live in heaven before you start making good money, i don't have to wake up 5am in the morning just to get to the office on time and close as late as 5-6pm.

Imagining earning an average of $4500-$5000 in a month with an average of $5000-$10,000 capital? This is no fluke, open your eyes, learn, ask questions, think outta box, to be successful, you don't need to see God or Jesus in person.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jan 14, 2010
@ Post

Identify the reason why you are going

Do your research - friends, internet, etc to find out the market for skills you have/hope to acquire for your livelihood

Compare potential benefits to your current life in Naija

What sacrifices are you willing to make by staying here or abroad?

Decide which environment works best for you long term
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by honeric01(m): 1:55pm On Jan 14, 2010
Who removed my post? was i advertising anything? Who removed my postangry angry angry angry angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by honeric01(m): 1:57pm On Jan 14, 2010
Information is power, you don't have to live in heaven before you start making good money, i don't have to wake up 5am in the morning just to get to the office on time and close as late as 5-6pm.

Imagining earning an average of $4k5-$5k in a month with an average of $7k5-$10k Cap. Open your eyes, learn, ask questions, think outta the box, to be successful, you don't need to see God or Jesus in person.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by dramaquin: 2:41pm On Jan 14, 2010
@ flashgeek:

u said "i will suggest that you start an online business. Browse online for honest opportunities (avoid work from home sites ,they are scams)".
can u kindly suggest sites where i can find such online biz opportunities?
or any1 in d house?ur replies wud be highly appreciated.thank u

p.s am in naija
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by DL(m): 5:15pm On Jan 14, 2010
It is actually not easier to make a good life overseas than in Nigeria, it's only easier to "survive" there, even on low

incomes. But the question is why would you go overseas just to "survive"? I say good luck to those who seek

greener pastures overseas due to unemployment, low incomes and related issues. Problem is a lot of people who

leave here in these circumstances with high anticipation and often with no clearly set goals often reach there and get

distracted. First of all, they have to get a recognized certificate to be able to fit in the corporate environ(many didn't

think they'd be going back to school). Some people take up courses and obtain whatever necessary qualifications,

some drop out during the programme due to lazyness, or the low but stress-free life that the little income they earn

from menial jobs provide and then the survival till eternity begins.

At the same time a lot of Nigerians who are focused and sound in what they do, live very comfortably overseas but

trust me, they are good at what they do and have worked hard to get to that level.

The bottom line is that you have first got to empower yourself brain-wise. In naija, combine that with networking and

a lot of information and you'll go places as far as Sydney and Rio just for holidays.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Sagamite(m): 5:38pm On Jan 14, 2010
LadyT:

angry

So you finally agree to our 6 kids then?

Yes, honey, I go even add jaara and make it 7. Busy_body 18 children, that pram I just lease them, I go collect am back and really utilise it. cheesy
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Sauron1: 5:59pm On Jan 14, 2010
Sagamite:

The way I see it:

If you are making less than £18K, you are poor.

If you are making between £18K and £32K, you are managing.

If you are making between £32K and £50K, you are comfortable.

If you are making between £50K and £85K, you are doing good.

If you are making between £85K and £200K, you are a star.

If you are making above £200K, you are a superstar.

People making the equivalent of £18k per annum in Nigeria are rich.
That's about N4.5 million per annum and this is why i think the poorest man abroad is almost a STAR in Nigeria.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by alanbolo(m): 6:00pm On Jan 14, 2010
Living abroad legally is advantageous, cause it will change that 9ja mentality about social and capital abilities, IMO
and if you are not able to get the legal permit, rub shoulders with experience pple to learn way of life from them and use it in the environment u are.

@ Kobojunkie,  I envy ur monthly expenses oh, I wish I can say d same,  But I'll choose NJ anytime despite the highest property tax in d nation.

@Busy_body,  I concur on ur postings,  while saying d facts. I enjoy d humor side of it.

@ Sauron~ and Tope2001, Please find me connection for SAP Netweaver with 6 fig.  anything less, I'll stay here je-je.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Sagamite(m): 6:07pm On Jan 14, 2010
~Sauron~:

That's about N4.5 million per annum and this is why i think the poorest man abroad is almost a STAR in Nigeria.

No, you have to judge based on cost of living.

How much disposable income does one have at the end of the day and what can it get one.

I think someone earning £40K in Naija is far better off than someone earning £50K in UK.

A nice flat in Naija can cost about £4K per year, an equivalent one in UK would be exceeding £12K.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by jaybee3(m): 6:07pm On Jan 14, 2010
~Sauron~:

haba Mr Stats
Cost of living on £18k per annum here is not comparable to cost of living on N4.5mil
£18k per annum will give u a take home of roughly 1k per month after tax
factoring all the necessary expexpenditurese will probably be left with £300 max (assuming the person turns a blind eye to the 10% tithe thingy and live absolutely consconservativelyoughout the month)

but someone earning close to N300K after tax in naija is a super big boi cos 1 month salary alone can pay for the years rent in some places.

Nigeria is cheap but the reason why western world will always come up thruthumpscos of the other necessities we enjoy that money can't simply buy.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Sauron1: 6:18pm On Jan 14, 2010
Sagamite:

No, you have to judge based on cost of living.
How much disposable income does one have at the end of the day and what can it get one.
I think someone earning £40K in Naija is far better off than someone earning £50K in UK.
A nice flat in Naija can cost about £4K per year, an equivalent one in UK would be exceeding £12K.

I disagree.
Of course, the take home pay makes it look like the one in Naija is far better off but if you check the quality of life and other indices, it's a facade.
£50k in the UK is miles ahead of the £40k dude in Nigeria. I can guarantee you he spends half of the £40k he earns on things the Naija government should be providing in the first place.

jay bee:

haba Mr Stats
Cost of living on £18k per annum here is not comparable to cost of living on N4.5mil
£18k per annum will give u a take home of roughly 1k per month after tax
factoring all the necessary expexpenditures will probably be left with £300 max (assuming the person turns a blind eye to the 10% tithe thingy and live absolutely consconservativelyoughout the month)

Ignore the take home pay and lets concentrate on what Mr. Naija and Mr. UK spend their money on.
I don't have to take ma car to the mechanic every weekend cos of pot-hole problems or ma car overheating blowing a gasket.
I don't buy fuel @ Black Market rate to fuel the generator n  ma car. What about the intangibles like Noise Pollution, Smog, Security of Lives n Properties.
Do you need a Hausa Maiguard in London? People earning N4.5 milla in Naija need them to secure their income, properties and their lives.
At the end of it all, Mr. Naija is poorer than the dude in London.

but some[one earning close to N300K after tax in naija is a super big boi cos 1 month salary alone can pay for the years rent in some places.
Nigeria is cheap but the reason why western world will always come up thruthumpscos of the other necessities we enjoy that money can't simply buy.

What is the standard of these cribs?
Borehole? Electricity? Portable Internet? Effective house-phone? Portable Gas?
Are you factoring those? Do i have to boil water on the gas-cooker to shower?
Mosquitoes? Do i have to worry about those?

If u consider the intangibles, i am better off with £18k in the UK than the equivalent in Nigeria.
Jaybee, i ask you. . . . .When was the last time you opened the bonnet of your car for any fault in the UK?

1 Like

Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by busybody20: 6:43pm On Jan 14, 2010
oh gawd!! Here we go again! I'm bored of bumping into this type of topic which has been discussed over and over again

***YAWNS****

Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by alanbolo(m): 6:46pm On Jan 14, 2010
U guys don come again with technicalities about quality of life oh.   I believed where your source of income is, there lays your happiness.  

There are folks living and working at sango-Ota and far better than people living at VGC and working at Ilupeju Area.   Transportation stress and pollution is enough to make the income of that sango man far better that the VGC guy.

I beg, let's leave technicalities out of the question.   The bottom line should be, How many/what/Who , can u do with ur income.  
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Sagamite(m): 6:56pm On Jan 14, 2010
~Sauron~:

I disagree.
Of course, the take home pay makes it look like the one in Naija is far better off but if you check the quality of life and other indices, it's a facade.
£50k in the UK is miles ahead of the £40k dude in Nigeria. I can guarantee you he spends half of the £40k he earns on things the Naija government should be providing in the first place.

Ignore the take home pay and lets concentrate on what Mr. Naija and Mr. UK spend their money on.
I don't have to take ma car to the mechanic every weekend cos of pot-hole problems or ma car overheating blowing a gasket.
I don't buy fuel @ Black Market rate to fuel the generator n  ma car. What about the intangibles like Noise Pollution, Smog, Security of Lives n Properties.
Do you need a Hausa Maiguard in London? People earning N4.5 milla in Naija need them to secure their income, properties and their lives.
At the end of it all, Mr. Naija is poorer than the dude in London.

What is the standard of these cribs?
Borehole? Electricity? Portable Internet? Effective house-phone? Portable Gas?
Are you factoring those? Do i have to boil water on the gas-cooker to shower?
Mosquitoes? Do i have to worry about those?

If u consider the intangibles, i am better off with £18k in the UK than the equivalent in Nigeria.
Jaybee, i ask you. . . . .When was the last time you opened the bonnet of your car for any fault in the UK?

I know what you are talking about.

But in Naija, some cost that in the West are exorbitant and compulsory, are a choice.

The killers are council tax and car tax. This are not that expensive in Naija and people get on.

Even if you work in the city, you would be spending close to £1100 a year on lunch and another £1300 on travelcard. I don't think it can cost up to N275K a year for lunch in Naija at the Iya Basira bukas I like to go to to replenish my bacteria levels. Neither do I think it would cost me N325K for my transportation.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by busybody20: 6:57pm On Jan 14, 2010
Busy_body:

Carry out a survey to ask how many times graduates apply for £20k jobs only to get knocked back that they are under-qualified, and for those applying for jobs around £10k to be told they are over-qualified grin Abi no be this UK wey you need experience to be able to qualify for the role of a toilet cleaner grin grin

From your experience abi? 

Madam! I cant believe all these words you are vomiting here oooo! You better change the kind of peeps you hang out with in uk! Life is Good. .  
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Sauron1: 7:03pm On Jan 14, 2010
Sagamite:

I know what you are talking about.
But in Naija, some cost that in the West are exorbitant and compulsory, are a choice.
The killers are council tax and car tax. This do not that expensive in Naija and people get on.

Lemme bust this myth.
There are tenement rates in Naija. . . . .People pay to have their bins disposed, NEPA kick asses even if you pay your bills in time.
Vigilantes collect money from housing residents, Street-lights are non-existent. U have to provide your flood-lights to light up your surroundings.
The thing is. . . . . .Naija people pay for the things they don't even get to enjoy 24/7 whilst UK residents pay for the things they enjoy.
Who is indeed better off?

Even if you work in the city, you would be spending close to £1100 a year on lunch and another £1300 on travelcard. I don't think it can cost up to N275K a year for lunch in Naija at the Iya Basira bukas I like to go to to replenish my bacteria levels. Neither do I think it would cost me N325K for my transportation.

Replenishing your bacteria levels can send you to the ICU in Naija. Typhoid Fever is alive and kicking.
If it's not typhoid, it could be Diarrhoea or what not.
What about the scores of mosquitoes that won't let you be. If your genotype is AA. . . .Expect Malaria fever 5 times a year. grin grin

£1300 in travelcard per year is not such a bad thing. Bankers in Naija leave their homes as early as 4 am to avoid traffic congestion. grin cheesy
In the UK, no hold-up, no danger of crashing into the Lagoon or getting kicked off your Okada seat by a drunk driver in a Lagos Danfo.
Fuel scarcity is not going to hinder you from getting to the City. . . . .No stress levels at all.
I think i can live with £1300 per year. That's about £110 per month and less than £4 per day.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Sagamite(m): 7:16pm On Jan 14, 2010
^^^My body tra-anga. Which kin ICU?

There is no way I go to Naija every year without visiting a Buka. I make sure the chairs are wooden and the interior is full of charcoal. Even if I no see at least one rat, I no go pay for that food. I need to top up my germs before this clean, hygienic and germ-free environment kill me.

I am not ready to die, I need to train my immune system like a professional athlete.  grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Nobody: 7:18pm On Jan 14, 2010
~Sauron~:

Lemme bust this myth.
There are tenement rates in Naija. . . . .People pay to have their bins disposed, NEPA kick asses even if you pay your bills in time.
Vigilantes collect money from housing residents, Street-lights are non-existent. U have to provide your flood-lights to light up your surroundings.
The thing is. . . . . .Naija people pay for the things they don't even get to enjoy 24/7 whilst UK residents pay for the things they enjoy.
Who is indeed better off?

Add the one where you have to go and fetch water and nearly fall inside the well because there's water scarcity. angry angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

It Is Impossible To Save $30 (₦9,540) Daily In Canada / Lagos-ibadan Rail Will Begin Operations In January 2019 – FG / Accident Involving A Tanker At Benin-auchi Okene Express Way (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.