Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,766 members, 7,820,679 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:22 PM

Is Living Abroad Worth It? - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Living Abroad Worth It? (16773 Views)

10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad / 15 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad / The Truth About Living Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by DisGuy: 2:48pm On Jan 18, 2010
salamsm:

Well all you guys sitting afar in other countries, if you did come back to Nigeria and made an effort to improve the country maybe things would be better in the future.

The much maligned Nigeria in its current state is still better off than a handful of countries in Africa and around the world. We just need to right the numerous wrongs.

The same way the past FCT minister was able to improve Abuja, or in which the current Governor of Lagos is improving the his state, will be the same way we will get new leaders that will improve the state of the country. Just need time and patience.

However, we need to change our ways and stop being benighted, nescient, lazy and devious.

just a handful countries in afrca? Now that's really sad  cry
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by omafones: 6:15pm On Jan 18, 2010
Dem no dey seize light abroad oh !!!!
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by remimartin(m): 8:13pm On Jan 18, 2010
It all depend on what you intend doing when you get to uk or any part of the developed world,but its not as easy as you think,its true that you cant leave in most of the countries in europe without speaking their language that's what they call intergration of foreigner .
My friend i will personally advice you to stay back home and settle down to what you do best
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by ceasyc(f): 4:30am On Feb 21, 2010
@topic n poster
LIVING IN UK/ABROAD IS WORTH IT

hang in there
my immediate jnr bruv tried 6x too and was reFused
it was frustrating 4 me n him cos every1 else in my family got
their UK visa @d 1st attempt or 2nd at most

but he was given d 7th time - @ LAST!

he's been to the UK in 2006 n 2007 now
just visiting n working temporarily if he gets some1's papers
2 work with then returns to 9ja b4 visit visa expires/uni resumes

i dont need to spend much to get a UK visa for
any member of my family

and any1 else i care to help get a visa
been there done that sooooo many times
just brains, good bank account (mine most of d time) and good documents

ps
i'm not advertising ohhh
just responding 2 d poster/topic
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by justwise(m): 9:52am On Feb 21, 2010
ceasyc:

@topic n poster
LIVING IN UK/ABROAD IS WORTH IT

hang in there
my immediate jnr bruv tried 6x too and was reFused
it was frustrating 4 me n him cos every1 else in my family got
their UK visa @d 1st attempt or 2nd at most

but he was given d 7th time - @ LAST!

he's been to the UK in 2006 n 2007 now
just visiting n working temporarily if he gets some1's papers
2 work with then returns to 9ja b4 visit visa expires/uni resumes

i dont need to spend much to get a UK visa for
any member of my family

and any1 else i care to help get a visa
been there done that sooooo many times
just brains, good bank account (mine most of d time) and good documents

ps
i'm not advertising ohhh
just responding 2 d poster/topic

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by nnachi(m): 9:58am On Feb 21, 2010
cute but living in uk doesnt make sence cos u cant make enough cash there unless ur a 419,
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by justwise(m): 10:03am On Feb 21, 2010
nnachi:

cute but living in uk doesnt make sence cos u cant make enough cash there unless your a 419,

Please keep mute if u got nothing sensible to say.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by nnachi(m): 10:08am On Feb 21, 2010
oh, so sorry maybe u re in uk but am telling u the fact, i have many friends there that i sent money to frm here so i know everything about uk cos i have been there once,
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by justwise(m): 10:13am On Feb 21, 2010
nnachi:

oh, so sorry maybe u re in uk but am telling u the fact, i have many friends there that i sent money to frm here so i know everything about uk cos i have been there once,

nnachi! nnachi! nnachi! please shut it and stop talking rubbish, you are in Nigeria and sending money to your 'friends' in the UK? What are your 'friends' doing here? Obviously you know nothing about the UK, ur friends are here doing 419 and that is all you know about the uk
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by nnachi(m): 10:15am On Feb 21, 2010
sorry am not in nigeria, but am just saying this based on what i observed, seems u re in uk?
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by justwise(m): 10:17am On Feb 21, 2010
nnachi:

sorry am not in nigeria, but am just saying this based on what i observed, seems u re in uk?

Tell your friends to stop doing 419 here and find something useful to do, that is if you care about them. yes i'm in the UK
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Nobody: 2:07pm On Feb 21, 2010
depends on individula views, for me staying in nigeria is like angry angry angry angry angry when there is no security
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by sunboy(m): 6:28pm On Feb 21, 2010
Una dey vex ooo 6 times? na byforce why not try Ghana or Benin republic if you must travel
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by ceasyc(f): 12:09am On Feb 22, 2010
nnachi:

cute but living in uk doesnt make sence cos u cant make enough cash there unless your a 419,
THAT'S TOTAL B.S

nnachi:

NA WA OH
ANOTHER B.S

MOST ppl living in d UK are hard working (by far) compared to those in other european countries
who do coke, other silly stuff n staying wit women/girls to survive or living off gals

justwise:

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
thats better
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Sagamite(m): 10:39am On Feb 07, 2013
Sagamite:

Honey sugarpie,

I think you are a bit right and a bit wrong.

You are right that less than 10% of Nigerians earn much over 25K. As less than 10% have professional jobs.

But you are wrong, honeybunch, if you are talking about the Nigerians working in professional roles still being around that figure.

The top paying professions are High Finance, Law and Consulting in that order. Very few Nigerians are employed in the core of this roles i.e. I am not referring to the likes of Ops guys in IB or HR girls in Law etc.

Guys in this profession after 8 years would be earning above or close to six figures when bonuses are factored in. But the number of Nigerians in the core of these roles i.e. Front office, Top 20 (US and UK originated) law firm solicitors or Tier 1 and 2 consultancy with 8 years experience would not be more than 200 IMO.

Then if you now look at th other areas where Naija plenty:

IT: Contractors make a killer, over 70K and some as much as 130K (note: no benefits like pension and healthcare). Although rates have been cut recently, I would expect contractors to make in the region of 60K - 80K. Non-contractors (permanent staff) would be in the 40s and 50s.

Engineers: with 8 years would also be in the mid to upper 40s.

Civil Servants: spread across the 30s on average.

Non-IB finance (Retail banks, Insurance firms): can be earning up to 65K

Accounting (certified and/or Big 4): in the upper 40s (mid to upper 50s for Big 4 trained)

Others: in early or mid 30s.

So I think the professional Nigerians are earning well over 25K, baby. More like mid 30s on average if you factor in all (not just those with 8 years experience)

I just found information that is well aligned to my surmisal on Naija people's salaries.

Data shows, of the 30.5m people working in the UK:

- 0.1% earn £500K+ per year.
- 0.6% earn £200K+ per year.
- 1.1% earn £150K+ per year.
- 2.2% earn £100K+ per year.
- 8.9% earn £50K+ per year.
- 27.5% earn £30K+ per year.

As black people are not on per career-wise, less than 27.5% of them can earn more £30K a year. Hence average wage in these race group will be well below this. Maybe about £18-20K.

This also works for the top earners/professionals, the top 10% in the country would be making £48K+, for blacks, this top level is where their performance is even more visibly limited, so I expect them to make far less than this £48K and more likely in the 30Ks.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Kobojunkie: 10:54pm On Sep 19, 2022
Kobojunkie:
@Poster, Let me give you an idea of what life can be abroad. . . . .

---- You can cook decent Egusi soup that would last your family about 3 weeks for about $15 bucks if you shop rite ( I just cooked such for a family of about 3 mouths and it takes so good)  grin

---- Your cable television bill could be about $30 bucks a month

---- Electricity for a 4 bedroom home is at about $60 bucks a month and this is for 24/7 electricty

---- Water bill is at about $14 every three months, and gas bill to help ensure there is HOT and COLD water exists for about $70 bucks a month( depending use). 24/7 Water to flush, bath and do what you need to do.

----- Price of a gallon ( note, not 1 litre, but about 4 litres) is at about $3 dollars

----- You don't have to drive because you have cheap accessible public transport that could get you were you are going and back for about $5 a day, with stops in between

----- Police show up at about 3 mins ( on average) after you dial 911 and you are never told you live in a neighbourhood they are too afraid to show up in

------ Fire fighter rushes to your place to put out fire, sometimes even before you realize there is one

------ Your Vote counts !

------ A life of debt is a CHOICE. The options are available for you, should you CHOOSE that life

I can go on and on but I just felt to give you an idea of what life abroad promises for everyone. You asked and I answered. I just felt your question sounds more like one from someone who needs to be convinced it is worth it and I hope what I have given you so far helps.

I don't know the kinds of friends you have there but we all pay taxes( nigerians pay taxes too) and we all have to work hours each day to make a living( I believe many more work longer hours in Nigeria, than their peers here do for obvious reasons). That your friends are suffering does not in anyway mean everyone else is. I have yet to hate a day in my life abroad.
This thread is worth reviving over 12 years later abeg! undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Lagos-ibadan Rail Will Begin Operations In January 2019 – FG / It Is Impossible To Save $30 (₦9,540) Daily In Canada / Accident Involving A Tanker At Benin-auchi Okene Express Way (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.