Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,528 members, 7,819,904 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:04 AM

Is Living Abroad Worth It? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Living Abroad Worth It? (16768 Views)

10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad / 15 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad / The Truth About Living Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Sauron1: 9:26pm On Jan 13, 2010
Busy_body:

Do you have them to wait to hear the answer tongue grin

Ma balls are intact. . . .Go get Akola. grin cheesy

I agree IT used to pay good, that even with basic helpdesk knowledge, one could earn in excess of £25,000k per annum, but all that na old story, their salaries has been slashed and I know plenty Engineers with PHD's working in Safeway and Mcdonalds jare, no come and use bobo for me jooo, times are hard now, people have to do 2 or 3 jobs to make ends meet cheesy grin cheesy

The IT world is still paying mad money to qualified applicants.
Engineers with PHD's working in Safeway need orientation and please don't tell me about engineers who bagged their PHDs and never bothered to upgrade themselves. I am talking about dynamic engineers whose skills are STILL RELEVANT.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by kvolander: 9:31pm On Jan 13, 2010
@poster

I sympathize with the refusal to your visa application but I'll advise you take a break from applying for the meantime.
Also, did you really meet up with the reasons for your refusals before applying again? These british people are really crazy about all your visa application requirements and anything short of their minimum requirements would result to refusal.

Talking about living abroad, I stay in scotland but I think it depends on the plan you have for your life. If you are that kind of extravagant person, then i'm afraid the UK is not for you. The good thing about the UK is that you don't have to be doing a very lucrative job to get the basic necessities of life.

As for naija, I went back to naija after my masters to look for job but after trekking the whole of VI to drop CVs, connected with all my contacts, did all I could to get something without a single acknowledgement; Nobody even whispered to me before I found my way back to this place. And as I write, my coming back here is 100% justified as things have changed (for best I'll say) to my greatest surprise.

Man, forget that 'living as a king for naija' thing, it doesn't exist again.

1 Like

Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Busybody2(f): 9:32pm On Jan 13, 2010
platinumnk:

thanks for reminding me not to quit angry

You berra hold you job wella and don't quit before you find yourself exchanging your cosy home for leaving on one of those 45 footer buses you mentioned tongue

Can you imagine, some Nigerians have it so bad here, they have to live in bus shelters and sleep on nightbuses from night to morning because they don't have a roof over their head embarassed When I hear stories like this and still see Naija's wanting to blow hundreds of thousands of Naira's to check out of Naija by all means, i just can't help shake my head embarassed

Thank God Eastern European's economy picked up and some of them went back home, cos they had already taking virtually all the jobs the illegals used to do to survive - Murtala Mohammed Airport would have been welcoming at least 500 planes from UK to Naija filled with returnees who couldn't hack it lipsrsealed
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Spader9(m): 9:33pm On Jan 13, 2010
mike oscar:

No Buddy, I don't.

Haha, alright. . .

platinumnk:

Haba u want to meet more nigerians? some places looks like replicas of Lagos, people getting out their cars and flapping their attire. . . hilarious . .  most ppl run away from that though lol

Yea. I've never been to Nigeria. . .

platinumnk:

Yea i am highly impressed with Houstons Commuter system . . A lot of professionals ride the buses and it most of the ones I rode are neat and clean.  I  plan on moving there in a couple of years. smiley

That's why I like them. . . That's good. . .
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by kvolander: 9:33pm On Jan 13, 2010
@Busy_body

Is that you? If you are, appears we've met somewhere B4.
CONFIRM AO THAT I CAN SEND YOU MY NUMBER.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Sauron1: 9:35pm On Jan 13, 2010
Busy_body:

Can you imagine, some Nigerians have it so bad here, they have to live in bus shelters and sleep on nightbuses from night to morning because they don't have a roof over their head embarassed When I hear stories like this and still see Naija's wanting to blow hundreds of thousands of Naira's to check out of Naija by all means, i just can't help shake my head embarassed

BusyBody, these ones don't have the proper documents to work with.
What do you expect? They shouldn't have ventured it in the first place with the attitude that people pick money on the streets of UK.

Thank God Eastern European's economy picked up and some of them went back home, cos they had already taking virtually all the jobs the illegals used to do to survive - Murtala Mohammed Airport would have been welcoming at least 500 planes from UK to Naija filled with returnees who couldn't hack it lipsrsealed

Are you sure MMA ain't welcoming thousands of deportees from the UK?
How often do you watch UK Border Force on SKY?
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by MAYOWAAK: 9:36pm On Jan 13, 2010
there is no place like home
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Busybody2(f): 9:38pm On Jan 13, 2010
~Sauron~:

Ma balls are intact. . . .Go get Akola. grin cheesy

The IT world is still paying mad money to qualified applicants.
Engineers with PHD's working in Safeway need orientation and please don't tell me about engineers who bagged their PHDs and never bothered to upgrade themselves. I am talking about dynamic engineers whose skills are STILL RELEVANT.

Dunno why "the balls" is getting changed to "them" angry Who owns "them" as if the "thems" are useful for anything angry tongue cheesy

Which field in IT is that, alagbari grin

And talking of upgrading, you want them to be like those in Canada who ugrade themselves for ten years only to be told "they don't have the Canadian experience" Oh well at least those in the UK knows employees dare not take that blatant racist approach to them, but what good is it to them wasting further money they could put to better use only to be told "we will keep your record in our files i.e. don't call us, we'll call you grin grin cheesy Abeg get your head outta cloud cuckoo land and go siddon boo cheesy By the time you finish upgrading to the standard that can satisfy them, all your hair and teeth go don commot tongue
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by platinumnk(f): 9:42pm On Jan 13, 2010
Busy_body:

You berra hold you job wella and don't quit before you find yourself exchanging your cosy home for leaving on one of those 45 footer buses you mentioned tongue

Everytime I want to quit Im reminded of how hard it is to find a good job,  my friend just graduated and Im ashamed to say that she works in a shoe store  lipsrsealed
Yeah but it can go both ways . .  there are far more sucess stories here than there.
If you have people that care and want to help you when u come abroad then you wont lack.
Ive seen a man bring his entire family and they had 2 nickels when they came over. (Won lottery)
Because of connecton people helped them get an apartment and job
Now all 3 of his kids are in unive on scholarship
The odds are way better here . .  with Networking of course.

Spader9:

Haha, alright. . .

Yea. I've never been to Nigeria. . .

That's why I like them. . . That's good. . .

Oh!  shocked Well u should enjoy the DairyAshford, go to one of the movie place where they sell 9ja movies and take their contact info and u should meet with plenty of other nigerians.  wink

Yah the bus ppl drivers are nice too.  wink
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Sauron1: 9:43pm On Jan 13, 2010
Busy_body:

Dunno why "them" is getting changed to "them" angry Who owns "them" as if the "thems" are useful for anything angry tongue cheesy

The only way to be sure of they are useful is TRYING them. wink

Which field in IT is that, alagbari grin

Several software companies.
Oil/Gas
Networking
Reh reh reh.

And talking of upgrading, you want them to be like those in Canada who ugrade themselves for ten years only to be told "they don't have the Canadian experience" Oh well at least those in the UK knows employees dare not take that blatant racist approach to them, but what good is it to them wasting further money they could put to better use only to be told "we will keep your record in our files i.e. don't call us, we'll call you grin grin cheesy

Even courses like Project Management and Test Management pay loads of £££
The thing is Naija peops are too reluctant/lazy to further their knowledge. "I am a PHD holder from UI and i don't have to read" is their psyche.
When you have the required qualification, there's no way any engineer can starve but do they have what it takes apart from the certificates they bagged centuries ago in Yabatech? grin grin grin grin

Abeg get your head outta cloud cuckoo land and go siddon boo cheesy By the time you finish upgrading to the standard that can satisfy them, all your hair and teeth go don commot tongue

Siddon dere. . . . . .
In the next few months, i will come and pay  triple the amount your kid sister's bride price to show off. grin
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by platinumnk(f): 9:46pm On Jan 13, 2010
Busy_body:

cheesy By the time you finish upgrading to the standard that can satisfy them, all your hair and teeth go don commot tongue

This is why many nigerians own businesses tongue
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Spader9(m): 9:48pm On Jan 13, 2010
platinumnk:

[sub]Oh!  shocked Well u should enjoy the DairyAshford, go to one of the movie place where they sell 9ja movies and take their contact info and u should meet with plenty of other nigerians.  wink
Yah the bus ppl drivers are nice too.  wink

Will do. I'm on google earth now. . .

Yea the Bus Drivers are nice on Park & Ride routes. . .
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Busybody2(f): 9:48pm On Jan 13, 2010
jay bee:

Haba busybody,
have u forgotten abt inner london allowance added to salaries? even normal regular admin staff earn abt 24k per annum.
most naija professionals that i know earn way over your quoted figure.

And don't you think u will av to lie your heart out to get yur quoted figure if one was to go on benefit?
How r you going to be able to get a mortgage and all other necessities that's needed via credit?

Na lie he people that earn such is not many, and who no sabi say Government job which are the ones that includes all those allowance pays better than working for a private firm, lol. Why can't we be honest for once and let the people who are willing to sell their family silver to leave Nigeria for abroad really know the situation on the ground? There is no time threads such as this gets opened without 90% of respondent forming and claiming they know thousands of Nigerians earning 6 figure salaries, and all that jazz, ehn?

Why can't we be our brother's keeper and hit the nail on the head for once? Even those who enter the Country legally have to struggle for years to find their feet cos these jobs don't easily fall into their laps just like that, talkless of illegals? And apart from those who were norn here or those who came into the country at a very very young age, how many people who come here in their 20's and above, upgrade themselves and get what you call good jobs? What do you call good jobs by the way? The job that you do that barely leaves you £200 to save at the end of the month?

Even if you earn £30k per annum before tax, can you afford a mortgage on a decent 2 bedroom house without going to live in the outskirt? My people, lets be real once in a while wink
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Moonstone(f): 9:49pm On Jan 13, 2010
It depends. . . not every Nigerian is enjoying living abroad. I personally prefer to study there and come back here.
It's a freaking debt cycle with the use of so many facilities to indulge yourself in and then spend the rest of your life paying for it. Nigerians that are abroad in this economic depression are not exactly having the fun of their lives.
Most of them can't get jobs even with a Masters' degree because citizens of the countries were running to, don't have jobs. It's a matter of personality. If you have a 4-bedroom house abroad with a comfy car and a comfy lifestyle to go with it, then fine! It's worth it.
But when you leave Nigeria as a Doctor to go and be washing plates abroad. I think there's a little problem with that.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by platinumnk(f): 9:50pm On Jan 13, 2010
Moonstone:

It depends. . . not every Nigerian is enjoying living abroad. I personally prefer to study there and come back here.
It's a freaking debt cycle with the use of so many facilities to indulge yourself in and then spend the rest of your life paying for it. Nigerians that are abroad in this economic depression are not exactly having the fun of their lives.
Most of them can't get jobs even with a Masters' degree because citizens of the countries were running to, don't have jobs. It's a matter of personality. If you have a 4-bedroom house abroad with a comfy car and a comfy lifestyle to go with it, then fine! It's worth it.
But when you leave Nigeria as a Doctor to go and be washing plates abroad. I think there's a little problem with that.

agreed smiley
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Sauron1: 9:52pm On Jan 13, 2010
Busy_body:

Even if you earn £30k per annum before tax, can you afford a mortgage on a decent 2 bedroom house without going to live in the outskirt? My people, lets be real once in a while wink    

I don't advise any migrant to get any mortgage unless he/she has decided to spend the rest of his life in the UK.
I will rather sleep in a one bedroom while building MY OWN HOUSE in Naija than get a mortgage here.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by platinumnk(f): 9:53pm On Jan 13, 2010
Busy_body:

Why can't we be our brother's keeper and hit the nail on the head for once? Even those who enter the Country legally have to struggle for years to find their feet cos these jobs don't easily fall into their laps just like that, talkless of illegals? And apart from those who were norn here or those who came into the country at a very very young age, how many people who come here in their 20's and above, upgrade themselves and get what you call good jobs? What do you call good jobs by the way? The job that you do that barely leaves you £200 to save at the end of the month?

we can be real but . .  from the people i know, the majority arent broke. yes they struggle, if you come here legally and know people here then it wont be long before u stand on your feet.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by platinumnk(f): 9:54pm On Jan 13, 2010
~Sauron~:

I don't advise any migrant to get any mortgage unless he/she has decided to spend the rest of his life in the UK.
I will rather sleep in a one bedroom while building MY OWN HOUSE in Naija than get a mortgage here.

what if u build a house at home and still get a mortgage?  Its better to have a house in both places.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Busybody2(f): 9:58pm On Jan 13, 2010
kvolander:

@Busy_body

Is that you? If you are, appears we've met somewhere B4.
CONFIRM AO THAT I CAN SEND YOU MY NUMBER.

forget that side, do you have a loaded bank account? Are you from a Royal lineage, have you got blue blood? What is your current and future career prospect like? Can you keep me in designer goods with shopping trips all year round? If yes, submit ya CV asap for my scrutiny tongue Meeting is meeting cheesy We are "meeting" here too now innit grin grin cheesy

~Sauron~:

The only way to be sure of they are useful is TRYING them. wink

Several software companies.
Oil/Gas
Networking
Reh reh reh.

Even courses like Project Management and Test Management pay loads of £££
The thing is Naija peops are too reluctant/lazy to further their knowledge. "I am a PHD holder from UI and i don't have to read" is their psyche.
When you have the required qualification, there's no way any engineer can starve but do they have what it takes apart from the certificates they bagged centuries ago in Yabatech? grin grin grin grin

Siddon dere. . . . . .
In the next few months, i will come and pay  triple the amount your kid sister's bride price to show off. grin

Do you know how many Robert Gordon "Oil and gas" graduates are now languishing behind the tills of Mcdonalds upon all the tens of thousands that they paid in tuition fees tongue Forget the reluctance to learn side, be honest we all know Nigerians and their pasion for collecting certificate, no Country in the world reads/studies as much as we do, fact cheesy

And as for my Sister, you don't needto slave and bring all your hard-earned savings because you wan pay bride-price, between you and I, i just wanna let you know we accept credit cards in any name too lipsrsealed cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Sauron1: 10:03pm On Jan 13, 2010
Busy_body:

Do you know how many Robert Gordon "Oil and gas" graduates are now languishing behind the tills of Mcdonalds upon all the tens of thousands that they paid in tuition fees tongue

Many graduates read useless courses in the first place. . . . .I won't dispute the fact that many graduates are jobless as we speak.
The KEY is to go for disciplines that pay £££

Forget the reluctance to learn side, be honest we all know Nigerians and their pasion for collecting certificate, no Country in the world reads/studies as much as we do, fact cheesy

Nigerians are the laziest when it comes to UPgrading.
The only time you see this passion is when they are hungry and looking for a job. As soon as they are in a bit of a comfort zone, they remain stagnant.
This is the reason you see some Nigerians saying they have been in the same post for 18 years. WTF is that?

And as for my Sister, you don't needto slave and bring all your hard-earned savings because you wan pay bride-price, between you and I, i just wanna let you know we accept credit cards in any name too lipsrsealed cheesy grin cheesy  

I don't pay with credit cards.

platinumnk:

what if u build a house at home and still get a mortgage?  Its better to have a house in both places.

If you can afford it, why not?
But the mentality of Nigerians here in the UK with getting a mortgage even when they are struggling with repayments is disgusting.
In the name of showing off, they tangle themselves with massive debts.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by kvolander: 10:06pm On Jan 13, 2010
Busy_body:

forget that side, do you have a loaded bank account? Are you from a Royal lineage, have you got blue blood? What is your current and future career prospect like? Can you keep me in designer goods with shopping trips all year round? If yes, submit ya CV asap for my scrutiny tongue Meeting is meeting cheesy We are "meeting" here too now innit grin grin cheesy

grin grin grin

We have a £4 million family house at Central London. Hope you know area I'm talking about; where the bigboys in the UK reside. grin grin grin

If you need more info, give me your email or send me an email so we could chat further
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by kvolander: 10:15pm On Jan 13, 2010
~Sauron~:

Many graduates read useless courses in the first place. . . . .I won't dispute the fact that many graduates are jobless as we speak.
The KEY is to go for disciplines that pay £££

@sauron

Guy, it's not by reading courses that results to lucrative jobs. I've seen graduates who read non-lucrative bound courses with lucrative jobs and otherwise.
Everything is God's favour.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by platinumnk(f): 10:16pm On Jan 13, 2010
kvolander:

We have a £4 million family house at Central London. Hope you know area I'm talking about; where the bigboys in the UK reside.    grin

I hope u are not related to the xmas bomber lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by kokoye(m): 10:33pm On Jan 13, 2010
Na wah o. sufferhead too plenty for that ur england I swear.

Even security officers / health agency workers here in the U.S are able live well, buy houses, go to school and send money to their extended families at home - as long as they can cut their cloth.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Secretz(f): 10:46pm On Jan 13, 2010
OP, apply for the 7th time, you never hear 7th time lucky?

Life is very rosey and cosy over hia. grin
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Redman44(m): 10:49pm On Jan 13, 2010
Hmn, the debt issue in England is something else.  I'm very lucky in the sense that I don't use credit cards and I chose to rent my place instead of a mortgage. I know where to get good bargains when I'm purchasing household items and I don't spend my money buying too many clothes. I even buy clothes through ebay sometimes. I wish Nigerians back home could have a magic mirror where they can see how their 'rich' friends are living in Europe and America. Though I'm not saying there are Nigerians that are not living fine and prospering in Britain and the United States smiley smiley, a lot of peeps are not telling their friends what they are really facing here. Cheers.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Nobody: 10:56pm On Jan 13, 2010
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by kokoye(m): 10:59pm On Jan 13, 2010
It is perfectly normal and acceptable to go thru some tough times at first when you move to a foreign land. But if you see no end to the pain and suffering after a long period of stay and age is not on your side, then it is advisable to return to your fatherland - and you must have a plan on how to survive in naija as well, or else!!.

99% of the people who are seem comfortable abroad now have stories to tell.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by denzel2009: 11:01pm On Jan 13, 2010
When you are with the right people, you will enjoy in UK oh and I am not talking about fraud or scams.  The underlying point is God's favour sha.

But majority are just okay, atleast you can cook a very nice stew with orisirishi for just £15.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Sauron1: 11:05pm On Jan 13, 2010
chaircover:

Getting on to the property ladder at the right time is one of the best ways to secure a bright financial future if played well.

Regarding wages; none of the Naija IT boys & girls contactors in my establishment earn less than £350 a day and that is just for the testing jobs.

May God bless you!!!

Busybody was busy spewing hokum when i was telling her this.
I know enough Naija testers with that wage bracket and they didn't need any B.Sc in Rocket Science to nail those jobs.
It's all about the orientation and moving with the right crew.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by xterra2(m): 11:08pm On Jan 13, 2010
Living abroad is not worth people just imrove foreign economies
Dont go,just stay and improve your economy
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by TOPE20001(f): 11:09pm On Jan 13, 2010
BusyBody . . . .c'mon now
even a mere admin assistant can earn up to 25k. grin

@topic
For me, yes its worth it cool
Altho to be honest lots of graduate are now workin at tesco or waitrose and the number of graduate that are doing this jobs are becominh shocking shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigerians To Pay UK Visa Application Fee In Dollars! / Lagos-ibadan Rail Will Begin Operations In January 2019 – FG / Accident Involving A Tanker At Benin-auchi Okene Express Way (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.