Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,528 members, 7,819,901 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:59 AM

Is Living Abroad Worth It? - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Living Abroad Worth It? (16767 Views)

10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad / 15 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad / The Truth About Living Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Sagamite(m): 7:20pm On Jan 14, 2010
stillwater:

Add the one where you have to go and fetch water and nearly fall inside the well because there's water scarcity. angry angry

Don't you think that is cheaper than Gym membership? grin
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Nobody: 7:27pm On Jan 14, 2010
Sagamite:

Don't you think that is cheaper than Gym membership? grin

I don't gym tongue. Besides I'm a woman. I shouldn't start developing muscles all because I'm lifting one heavy bucket on my head. angry

Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It?

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss! tongue
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Sauron1: 7:35pm On Jan 14, 2010
stillwater:

Add the one where you have to go and fetch water and nearly fall inside the well because there's water scarcity. angry angry

Depressing!!

Sagamite:

^^^My body tra-anga. Which kin ICU?
There is no way I go to Naija every year without visiting a Buka. I make sure the chairs are wooden and the interior is full of charcoal. Even if I no see at least one rat, I no go pay for that food. I need to top up my germs before this clean, hygienic and germ-free environment kill me.
I am not ready to die, I need to train my immune system like a professional athlete.  grin

U don't pay until you see those gutter rats? Na wa o.
Naija people are striving to maintain clean and germ-free environment and Sagamite is running away from it.
One man's meat is another man's cyanide.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by oyindaries: 7:37pm On Jan 14, 2010
i feel for this guy, trying for a visa of any country can be tasking,being refused is another hell hole, when d main purpose of travel is genuine. but then as to Ur question, if living abroad is Worth it. it all depends, how u look at it, everyone thinks going abroad is all about how to go and make money there.
1. it is okay to live abroad and still live on the minimum wage, it just means that Ur standard of living will be different from Ur friends who hold qualified jobs. living on the minimum wage in the UK, is far better than what some professionals earn in Nigeria. and for  one thing the only common jobs in Nigeria are in the banking sector , oil and gas, telecommunication apart from all this their is no job security, any thing can happen at any time, without notice.
but like i said it depends on each individual, what one wants and what qualification one has to achieve that aim. but then not as an illegal immigrant.

and please everyone answering to this thread, living in the UK on either a minimum wage or high earners. cleaners or accountant. the good thing is that they all earn an honest living, and they get by each day on whatever they earn. or are we all saying that we all have to be rich because we are Nigerians .Hands are not equal u know.

the problems with we nigerians is that we want to start walking before crawling. it is all in our head that when we go abroad we have to go and strike it rich.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Ndipe(m): 9:25pm On Jan 14, 2010
oyindaries:

i feel for this guy, trying for a visa of any country can be tasking,being refused is another hell hole, when d main purpose of travel is genuine. but then as to your question, if living abroad is Worth it. it all depends, how u look at it, everyone thinks going abroad is all about how to go and make money there.
1. it is okay to live abroad and still live on the minimum wage, it just means that your standard of living will be different from your friends who hold qualified jobs. living on the minimum wage in the UK, is far better than what some professionals earn in Nigeria. and for  one thing the only common jobs in Nigeria are in the banking sector , oil and gas, telecommunication apart from all this their is no job security, any thing can happen at any time, without notice.
but like i said it depends on each individual, what one wants and what qualification one has to achieve that aim. but then not as an illegal immigrant.

and please everyone answering to this thread, living in the UK on either a minimum wage or high earners. cleaners or accountant. the good thing is that they all earn an honest living, and they get by each day on whatever they earn. or are we all saying that we all have to be rich because we are Nigerians .Hands are not equal u know.

the problems with we nigerians is that we want to start walking before crawling. it is all in our head that when we go abroad we have to go and strike it rich.

I'd rather make 200k a month and live in Nigeria than to make 5.80 pounds and live in UK.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Nobody: 9:39pm On Jan 14, 2010
have beautiful ppl in Niaja that i wouldnt wanna miss. There no Place like home! dont be deceived about those beautiful Places u see.  or things u think u enjoy. We enjoy here as well. none of those things are in the village but i enjoy may stay whenever I go there. If u have money u will be comfortable here.

I would prefer going abroad for business and holidays. Going n coming back. Can b a slave 4 the in the name of being Abroad or making money.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by shagaman: 10:03pm On Jan 14, 2010
There are to ways to it,if you are genuinely qualified you should/would be granted visa,however stating a case of people suffering in the UK is a no go area as it portraits you as a loser life is not all it seems,sincerely if you see 9ja GUYS SUFFERING IN THE uk,FEAR GO GRIP YOU AS SOME OF THEM WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER OFF,M y boss came back from the UK after 12 years with really noting much to show and he is a citizen,you have to be highly skilled to enjoy leaving abroad,In Nigeria there are so many opportunities around you,you just need to see it,from what i am seeing here you are blind to all this, question: what are you going to do in the UK(wash toilet,PEKE,Street boy,or Jagba)
What is your qualification, As i have come to realize Nigeria is tough but Nigerians are tougher,i don't know the spirit that lives in you,but i am a goddamn winner, Thus if you still fancy travelling abroad,you can try Libya,Morocco,south-Africa,Zimbabwe, or follow the desert to Spain, you need to see to believe.

In Nigeria you need to be proactive and dont look at anyone for help try and be a born huzzler, Then the sky is the limit.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Bidemi1997(f): 11:14pm On Jan 14, 2010
I don't think they are negligible. I know enough Nigerians earning mad pay for various engineering/IT companies.
There are many jobs still doling out £250-£600 a day in the Citeh and Nigerians are on to them like a rash.
U need to change the kinda peops you roll with jor
[b][/b]

I beg connect me o!
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by flekan(m): 11:28pm On Jan 14, 2010
Ndipe:

I'd rather make 200k a month and live in Nigeria than to make 5.80 pounds and live in UK.

How many ppl earn that much in Naija?
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Ndipe(m): 11:47pm On Jan 14, 2010
flekan:

How many ppl earn that much in Naija?

Not a lot, but I am just using that as an example to state the truth that minimum wage wont last you that long in the western world. In California, it's like 8 dollars and some cents which is like 250 a week. After paying your rent and food, you barely have enough left
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Kobojunkie: 2:42am On Jan 15, 2010
Ndipe:

Not a lot, but I am just using that as an example to state the truth that minimum wage wont last you that long in the western world. In California, it's like 8 dollars and some cents which is like 250 a week. After paying your rent and food, you barely have enough left

That is not true! I actually lived on minimum wage at one time and I hate it when people make it out to be so horrible. It all depends on individuals and choices made. Some people live good enough lives on minimum wage. Ask indians and Chinese individuals who come here, live in groups and save up to get themselves better lives later on. I had a roommate myself and so the burden was not as bad.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by victichy: 6:00am On Jan 15, 2010
As for now I dont think living abroad is worth it. Cause we are been placed on "watch"
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Anabel(f): 7:25am On Jan 15, 2010
victichy:

As for now I dont think living abroad is worth it. Cause we are been placed on "watch"

God I love Nlander, they know how to think, well dnt plan on living abroad for now cos I wanna hustle here and when I make it, dem no go look my face twice before dem give me Vis and personally, I don't like UK
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by justwise(m): 7:39am On Jan 15, 2010
Kobojunkie:

That is not true! I actually lived on minimum wage at one time and I hate it when people make it out to be so horrible. It all depends on individuals and choices made. Some people live good enough lives on minimum wage. Ask indians and Chinese individuals who come here, live in groups and save up to get themselves better lives later on. I had a roommate myself and so the burden was not as bad.

U are absolutely right, minimum wage can pay ur fees and rent here IF u are hard working and buy only what is needed.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by shilling(f): 8:28am On Jan 15, 2010
I guess living overseas is only worth it if the person is doing something worthwhile and is making good money. At the end of the day, I think living in hardship overseas is better than in Nigeria. No matter how poor a person is, they would probably be able to own a car, have access to power and water (I think).

1 Like

Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Hauwa1: 4:17pm On Jan 15, 2010
Kobojunkie, nigerians cant live in groups like the chinese and indians we see around us. na yawa grin
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by selencious(f): 7:44pm On Jan 15, 2010
To Some----YUP!!!!
To Some----NOPE!!!!

1 Like

Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by debosky(m): 7:49pm On Jan 15, 2010
Kobojunkie:

He isn't making it horrible - he's simply saying, don't believe people who say you can earn $5 per hour and live big. Many people do reverse calculations and get in trouble $5 per hour means $40 per day and $1000 per month, which equals 150,000 naira. People forget they are not spending money in Nigeria but where they are living!

You will only get by on minimum wage - unless that's all you want to do, don't leave a reasonable job in Nigeria to 'manage' abroad.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by lexibaba(m): 8:14pm On Jan 15, 2010
You can live anywhere in the world and still make it. The determining factor is GOD and YOU. The environment might not be ok sometimes but its wht u r made of tht eventually makes u a success .Wherever u find urself THINK BIG, work hard and PRAY hard!
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by martinosi: 12:41am On Jan 16, 2010
s Living Abroad Worth It?

Hmmmmm let me see
why dont we ask the 300,000 Nigerians living in the UK
or the 1 million plus nigerians living in the united states!!! lol!!!!
DUMB QUESTION!!!!! NEXT!!!!

1 Like

Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by martinosi: 12:55am On Jan 16, 2010
Post by Anabel,
Quote from: victichy on Yesterday at 06:00:05 AM

God I love Nlander, they know how to think, well dnt plan on living abroad for now cos I wanna hustle here and when I make it, dem no go look my face twice before dem give me Vis and personally, I don't like UK

I DONT LIKE THIS, I DONT LIKE THAT,
I DONT LIKE MAC-DONALDS, I DONT LIKE BURGER-KING BUT I LIKE SUBWAY!!!
AND U KNOW WHY I CAN SAY THAT BECAUSE I HAVE TASTED ALL THREE AND MADE
A PERSONAL CHOICE TO STICK WITH ONE!!!!

IF U LIVE IN NIGERIA AND HAVE NEVER ABROAD U CANT STAY U DONT LIKE THIS OR THAT
COUNTRY UNTILL U HAVE LIVED THERE AND BY LIVING, I MEAN LIVING IE WORKING OR DOING BUSINESS THERE
NOT COMING FOR A SHOPPING HOLIDAY LOL!!!

IF U DONT KNOW U JUST DONT KNOW, ANOTHER THING I SAW WHEN IN NIGERIA
WAS THAT WE LIVE IN A BUBBLE AND IGNORANCE IS BLISS!!!

AS A POSTER SAID U CAN LIVE ANYWHERE AND BE SUCCESSFUL AND ENJOY LIFE,
LETS JUST WORK WITH WHAT WE HAVE AND DONT BE HATING ON ANOTHER PLACE OR COUNTRY!
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by mkbabe: 1:46am On Jan 16, 2010
shilling:

I guess living overseas is only worth it if the person is doing something worthwhile and is making good money. At the end of the day, I think living in hardship overseas is better than in Nigeria. No matter how poor a person is, they would probably be able to own a car, have access to power and water (I think).

Well you thought wrong unless you are highly qualified(degree, masters etc) in a relevant subject(engineering,medicine,it etc) you'll just be living in slavery, from hand to mouth. there are lots of protocols you have to follow to own a car which involves money, and if you use light and water you have to pay bills for them. If one is living comfortably in naija i suggest they stay there and start a biz or get more qualifications b4 travelling. nuff said
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by princeonx: 4:44am On Jan 16, 2010
first to answer your question! YES! (for me) Secondly and if I may ask, why will you apply for one country's visa 6 times? is it a life or death thing? anyway don't really need your answer!
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by chika98: 5:17am On Jan 16, 2010
Truth be told; If you don't have papers then abroad isn't for you. Everyone here isn't cut out to live here. Home is where the heart is. Abroad is home to me and Nigeria has nothing to offer me. If you feel abroad isn't for you then move back home!

1 Like

Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Nobody: 11:10pm On Jan 16, 2010
d devil u know is beta dan d angel u dont know.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jan 17, 2010
Well all you guys sitting afar in other countries, if you did come back to Nigeria and made an effort to improve the country maybe things would be better in the future.

The much maligned Nigeria in its current state is still better off than a handful of countries in Africa and around the world. We just need to right the numerous wrongs.

The same way the past FCT minister was able to improve Abuja, or in which the current Governor of Lagos is improving the his state, will be the same way we will get new leaders that will improve the state of the country. Just need time and patience.

However, we need to change our ways and stop being benighted, nescient, lazy and devious.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by AjanleKoko: 8:11pm On Jan 17, 2010
I actually think living abroad is probably worth it. Mind you, I live right in Nigeria.
Normally, I like to defend Nigeria, and the way of life here. But, truth be told, I know way too many people whose lives were heading for the rocks, until they decided to make a break for it abroad. Legitimate or illegitimate is moot. Nigerians are picking up the pieces of their lives, even in places like China and Vietnam. Why would a Nigerian want to run away to Vietnam?
Things are actually not good at home, for the vast majority of people. Only a few are even experiencing a semblance of a decent lifestyle. Health and education is a mere joke. I know someone who even went to Angola to do masters. Angola!

If living abroad was not worth it, you would not be seeing threads like 'Should I run away to Turkey or take a job of 100k?'

salamsm:

Well all you guys sitting afar in other countries, if you did come back to Nigeria and made an effort to improve the country maybe things would be better in the future.

The much maligned Nigeria in its current state is still better off than a handful of countries in Africa and around the world. We just need to right the numerous wrongs.

The same way the past FCT minister was able to improve Abuja, or in which the current Governor of Lagos is improving the his state, will be the same way we will get new leaders that will improve the state of the country. Just need time and patience.

However, we need to change our ways and stop being benighted, nescient, lazy and devious.

I am not sure this guy got the point. The chaps sitting in far countries, they ran away from Nigeria. They are also victims of the state. So it's not really their fault.
Only time will tell if those guys you mentioned (I presume Fashola and El-Rufai) are really changing anything, or applying pankcake makeup to a sore-infested face. What is not needed is planting flowers etc. Social empowerment is the only thing that can bring about true change.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jan 17, 2010
Well i don't know about going to places like Vietnam and all that, but i think some people just want an easy life without going through the struggles of life and will just settle for less.

Abuja hasn't just only improved its overall serenity and cleanliness, but at least you could say it provides more security for its people as compared to what it was a few years ago. The standard of living has overall improved immensely as well.

I can bet you that countries like Rwanda, Malawi, Mozambique, Niger, Togo and many more are not better off than Nigeria as a whole, however, you don't see their nationals flooding countries overseas. Zimbabwe is understandable.

Isn't it funny how Nigerians abroad obey all they rules, and as soon as they are back home, they break all the rules. Then we talk about the many problems with Nigeria and why we have to run away. There's a word for that "contradiction".
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Nobody: 3:11am On Jan 18, 2010
Not until my Broda proves it. He has been in Abroad with nothing much to Prove show 4 it.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Nobody: 8:01am On Jan 18, 2010
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by AjanleKoko: 11:42am On Jan 18, 2010
salamsm:

Abuja hasn't just only improved its overall serenity and cleanliness, but at least you could say it provides more security for its people as compared to what it was a few years ago. The standard of living has overall improved immensely as well.

Are we talking about the same Abuja? Serenity? Cleanliness? Standard of living? When were you there last?
Abuja has a perennial problem of lack of affordable housing. Traffic jams are now commonplace during rush hour.

salamsm:

I can bet you that countries like Rwanda, Malawi, Mozambique, Niger, Togo and many more are not better off than Nigeria as a whole, however, you don't see their nationals flooding countries overseas. Zimbabwe is understandable.

Dude, you would be shocked how many citizens of these countries I run in to, catching flights to Bangkok, Hanoi, and Guangzhou.
Still flew into China with a bunch of Niger nationals this last weekend. They may not get visas to the UK, or the US, but they go just about anywhere.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by adeniyi334: 1:31pm On Jan 18, 2010
If you can make it in Nigeria, Forget, you can make it elsewhere. Naija is one of a kind

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigerians To Pay UK Visa Application Fee In Dollars! / Lagos-ibadan Rail Will Begin Operations In January 2019 – FG / Accident Involving A Tanker At Benin-auchi Okene Express Way (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.