Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,873 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:51 PM

Is Living Abroad Worth It? - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Living Abroad Worth It? (16774 Views)

10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad / 15 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad / The Truth About Living Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by nelsonose: 3:28am On Jan 14, 2010
sage:

Its worth it 100 percent. If you get chance legally make you hop inside plane. If bad belle people come wan hold you down for naija you accelerate
East, West, North or South, there is no place like home.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by na2day(m): 4:26am On Jan 14, 2010
Its like being between the devil and the big blue sea, abroad; you will never get accepted even if u get married there, for 9ja, u're a son of the soil, but you may suffer till u die! cry
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Wallie(m): 4:36am On Jan 14, 2010
For the most part, yes! Like I heard someone once say, “Nigeria is the only country where you can work extremely hard and not be guaranteed your next meal.”

Things are not exactly as easy as they seem for most immigrants when they travel to a foreign country. Quite a few of them work ungodly amount of hours and still struggle to pay their bills. Very few got by without paying their dues. Obviously, having people you can rely on makes assimilating easier.

I would say working hard in a professional setting guarantees you a middleclass livelihood. The amount of money you will make as a professional is directly proportional to the entry barrier into your chosen field.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Ndipe(m): 4:44am On Jan 14, 2010
Busy_body:

You berra hold you job wella and don't quit before you find yourself exchanging your cosy home for leaving on one of those 45 footer buses you mentioned tongue

Can you imagine, some Nigerians have it so bad here, they have to live in bus shelters and sleep on nightbuses from night to morning because they don't have a roof over their head embarassed When I hear stories like this and still see Naija's wanting to blow hundreds of thousands of Naira's to check out of Naija by all means, i just can't help shake my head embarassed

Thank God Eastern European's economy picked up and some of them went back home, cos they had already taking virtually all the jobs the illegals used to do to survive - Murtala Mohammed Airport would have been welcoming at least 500 planes from UK to Naija filled with returnees who couldn't hack it lipsrsealed

Gbam. When I see people, like one guy posting a thread about his career in the hospitality field and the perks that comes with it: Free meals along with vacation in Scotland or something, while writing about people with good jobs working at council flats, I have to ask if he is for real? Abroad is not cut out for everybody. I still advise people not to abandon their good jobs back home to come to America and do menial jobs. It is not worth it and in the long run depresses you and forces you to question your motives in moving to America. Nigeria aint that bad if you are making good money. Just come abroad to refresh yourself and forget about picking up jobs at the council flats making 10 pounds an hour. Gosh, your mates are earning 7 million naira a year working in plush offices with nice perks and another fellow is bragging that he hasnt brought groceries in a while because of his job.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Ndipe(m): 4:49am On Jan 14, 2010
kvolander:

Guy, I can't just stop laughing reading your post. You appear to have centred your mind on the short-term benefit in the UK. I don't know the kind of visa you are currently using to work but if you are temporary in any way (be it post study or HSMP); man, I'll advise you to get a job that will help you apply for extension when your current stay expires otherwise  cry.
The companies you have just mentioned are very much more likely not to apply for visa extension for you because of the new point-based system.
I hope you are aware of all the requirements. However, if you are working in a recognised professional industry, as a professional of coz, you can be sure that Home Office will grant you further leave to remain but on Tier 2. After the next 5 years, you then get your indefinite stay.

So guy, Wake up and stop talking of food and 3 square meals. Most Guys after professional jobs are more interested in the long term benefits.
Cheers.

Gbam. I am like, who would brag about getting 3 square meals free at work when that alone itself can hinder your professional growth or worse pigeonhole you into believing that these job is the best that I have had, hence complacency kicks in and you pride yourself on your 'achievement'
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Ndipe(m): 4:52am On Jan 14, 2010
kvolander:

@TOPE2000

Are you trying to say you have not fallen victim of unsuccessful interviews ans assessment centres?

My dear friend, it's God's favour that sees one through. There are interviews where the white people may not just like your face.

For a guy who personally had over 30 interviews with absolutely no positive feedback, I wholeheartedly agree with you that your dream job can only be attained through the Grace of God. A year after I moved in, I applied for a job at a temp agency and wasnt getting any positive feedback from them. One day, I paid them a visit unannounced, and when the white guy saw me on the way, he bolted and hid. His coworker covered up that he did not come into work, but that was a lie, because I saw him. Anyway, thank God that's History.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Kobojunkie: 5:16am On Jan 14, 2010
@Poster, Let me give you an idea of what life can be abroad. . . . .

---- You can cook decent Egusi soup that would last your family about 3 weeks for about $15 bucks if you shop rite ( I just cooked such for a family of about 3 mouths and it takes so good)  grin

---- Your cable television bill could be about $30 bucks a month

---- Electricity for a 4 bedroom home is at about $60 bucks a month and this is for 24/7 electricty

---- Water bill is at about $14 every three months, and gas bill to help ensure there is HOT and COLD water exists for about $70 bucks a month( depending use). 24/7 Water to flush, bath and do what you need to do.

----- Price of a gallon ( note, not 1 litre, but about 4 litres) is at about $3 dollars

----- You don't have to drive because you have cheap accessible public transport that could get you were you are going and back for about $5 a day, with stops in between

----- Police show up at about 3 mins ( on average) after you dial 911 and you are never told you live in a neighbourhood they are too afraid to show up in

------ Fire fighter rushes to your place to put out fire, sometimes even before you realize there is one

------ Your Vote counts !

------ A life of debt is a CHOICE. The options are available for you, should you CHOOSE that life

I can go on and on but I just felt to give you an idea of what life abroad promises for everyone. You asked and I answered. I just felt your question sounds more like one from someone who needs to be convinced it is worth it and I hope what I have given you so far helps.

I don't know the kinds of friends you have there but we all pay taxes( nigerians pay taxes too) and we all have to work hours each day to make a living( I believe many more work longer hours in Nigeria, than their peers here do for obvious reasons). That your friends are suffering does not in anyway mean everyone else is. I have yet to hate a day in my life abroad.

1 Like

Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by ngpatroit(m): 5:34am On Jan 14, 2010
Dude, For me, i was born in the states, and i will tell you, the grass is greener across the pond, but not just the UK, Life there is pathetic, they live hand to mouth, the nigerians there are morons, and the government out there has it out for them, Go somewhere else like australia,, sweden, denmark

1 Like

Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Bokoharam: 5:35am On Jan 14, 2010
I've lived & worked all my life in Naija and I ve NOT regretted it. I only do visiting out there for vacation.

But that's not to say some pple are NOT suffering in 9ja. Truly, a lot CANNOT afford their day's meal. Some toil all night & take nothing in 9ja o.

Up there too, some (I say 'SOME' not 'All' - o) also lurk around, hop around, hide around, run around, disguise around, and feel they never travelled in the first place. They only remain there b/c of ego & what people would say if they return home.

Summary:
Wherever u r, ask God to bless d fruit of your hands and labour. Ask Him, "Lord, may I NOT toil all night and take nothing."
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by gists: 5:40am On Jan 14, 2010
Kobojunkie:

---- You can cook decent Egusi soup that would last your family about 3 weeks for about $15 bucks if you shop rite ( I just cooked such for a family of about 3 mouths and it takes so good)  grin

---- Electricity for a 4 bedroom home is at about $60 bucks a month and this is for 24/7 electricty

---- Water bill is at about $14 every three months, and gas bill to help ensure there is HOT and COLD water exists for about $70 bucks a month( depending use). 24/7 Water to flush, bath and do what you need to do.

----- Price of a gallon ( note, not 1 litre, but about 4 litres) is at about $3 dollars

----- You don't have to drive because you have cheap accessible public transport that could get you were you are going and back for about $5 a day, with stops in between

----- Police show up at about 3 mins ( on average) after you dial 911 and you are never told you live in a neighbourhood they are too afraid to show up in

------ Fire fighter rushes to your place to put out fire, sometimes even before you realize there is one

------ A life of debt is a CHOICE. The options are available for you, should you CHOOSE that life

I can go on and on but I just felt to give you an idea of what life abroad promises for everyone. You asked and I answered. I just felt your question sounds more like one from someone who needs to be convinced it is worth it and I hope what I have given you so far helps.

I don't know the kinds of friends you have there but we all pay taxes( nigerians pay taxes too) and we all have to work hours each day to make a living( I believe many more work longer hours in Nigeria, than their peers here do for obvious reasons). That your friends are suffering does not in anyway mean everyone else is. I have yet to hate a day in my life abroad.

Thanks for this wonderful breakdown. I've been racking my brain as to what the average cost of living in the U.k will be. I guess the U.S figures are similar to that of U.K.

However, you forgot to mention my worst fears TAX!!, medical cost, what percentage of your income can you safe with a reasonable lifestyle, and most importantly I have prayed to God never to let me do any unskilled work in my life and so far Glory be to HIM , so how easy is it for someone with a masters degree in Engineering (should be through with it by June barring any ASUU strikes) to get professional job - bearing in mind that the white guys don't respect our universities any more, I'm pretty comfortable (but not rich yet) here in naija so I'm not desperate but I want to keep an open mind on the option of moving abroad with my family.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Sprumbaba: 5:49am On Jan 14, 2010
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by ucheawesom: 5:59am On Jan 14, 2010
Kobojunkie:

---- You can cook decent Egusi soup that would last your family about 3 weeks for about $15 bucks if you shop rite ( I just cooked such for a family of about 3 mouths and it takes so good) grin

Abeg,where u live in the US?the rates u mentioned for ur water and eletricity are so low.Maybe i will move over to that area.
i live in houston and my rates are just too much compared to wat u posted here.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by stevoo21(m): 6:27am On Jan 14, 2010
I have to say reading you guys comments ,its been  quite interesting evening for me  .I am new on here and looking forward to many more posts hello peeps ,

well mr OP living abroad has a lot of benefits i must say ,the most important rule when you move abroad is to make sure you surround your self with people who are well informed of how things work out there.That's the basics, you also have to consider what your aim is and what you intend on achieving in the short term, give your self an ultimatum first and dont look back at all.I guess if stress is one thing that does mess with your head round here (UK i mean ) bills are the order of the day,pay them be cos you used the services but also when you learn that not every service that is offered to you is a must have you will find that money stays in your pocket more when you do without certain things.
examples
(I)why pay for sky TV  i.e sky sports when you can watch majority of the matches on line anyway(coming form someone who only watches football ) that costs a mere £20-£30 for that service.
(ii)paying taxes is essential ,council tax you have to pay otherwise spend time in court making excuses and wasting your own precious time and money with the charges added.
(III)Cut out ununnecessary expenditure and live within your means, i stopped gym membership with fitness first at £48 pounds a month for 3years  to start jogging and doing my own training at home and in the parks,because i never really went as regular as i first did ,thought i had achieved the look i wanted but still failed to cancel the membership why? i liked the comfort of just going when i felt hmmm i have eaten too much this week lol
(IV)petrol is expensive out here so fueling your car costs more than taking public transport depending on where you are going to.why have a car that has a massive engine and ask your mates to help fuel the car when you guys are going out , a lot of our brothers do that shit and it pisses me off big tyme!!.
(V)depending on what type of job you have there is a life style for every paypacket and you only have to look at the high streets to find out why they cater to all types .
(VI)living abroad is worth it because it changes your views about  how to live under a system that works ,developed countries fought tooth and nail to produce systems that work and that my friend sadly is what nigeria lacks that makes people want out ,

so if you want something that guarantee's efficiency then yes come and live abroad.If you come abroad pls pls pls dont come from nigeria to england and go and live in elephant and castle or peckham pls, why oh why do our peeps luv to do that whats the essence of leaving then .stop playing safe explore .
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by stevoo21(m): 6:33am On Jan 14, 2010
@ngpatroit

bro why are the nigerians in the uk morons ??you should not generalise in that manner maybe the ones that you know out here are but not all are living from hand to mouth i disagree with you big time .Did you live here and what sides in london did you reside to come up with such a conclusion.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by kenuoyibo(m): 6:49am On Jan 14, 2010
@Spader9,
People talk about life in yankee a lot. some people say good things,others say bad things. Many people say it is hard to get a green card and a good job.
Pls tell me why does the poster have to be in yankee?
pls reply, let me know whats up.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by paddylo1(m): 6:57am On Jan 14, 2010

i pay $94 a month with comcast. . and i dont even have the premium package. .

u have a lot of cheap prices in your list. . or perhaps u in some cheap as*s town in the middle of nowhere. .

anyway as to the question. . .it depends

most ppl from nigeria that manage to travel are ppl who could easily make it at home

unlike ppl from countries like liberia,sudan,somalia,congo and so on. . .who are very poor or war torn
now dont get me wrong,i dont mean there are no poor ppl in naija
what i mean is that such poor ppl can never get visa. . and even if they do. .they cant afford to travel or pay for ticket

thats why i say,those of us that travel,are usually ppl with some kind of means in naija
and we can actually use the money to better ourselves in naija if we choose to. . .
i think ppl should look into things like farming,agriculture,poultry and so on. . .

we all know about zimbabwe farmers coming to start making real money in naija and i support that
i just think more of our ppl should think outside the box. . .
get 5 friends. . raise N1million each and start a poultry or any kind of farm. . .

another thing that i noticed is that if u look at the map of africa and the middle east

look at countries like algeria,saudi arabia,United arab emirates. . even israel. .
u notice 4 things. . 1. . is a lot of petro-dollars
2. . is proximity to nigeria
3. . .they are all desert countries that import almost all their foodstuff(esp algeria,saudi and UAE)
4,  . Smart nigerians can start tapping into that market and make good returns in dollars just by supplying some of that demand for food

again . . .like i said,it depends on what u are looking for here. . .
for me it was getting a little bit more expertise,so i can be able to exploit such opportunities like i outlined above
when i get back. . .
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Nobody: 7:04am On Jan 14, 2010
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Demdem(m): 7:38am On Jan 14, 2010
@kokoye

Would you have started a 'hate' thread like this if you have been granted the visa . .and why bother applying again after you'd been denied several times if not for a hidden agenda?

You brag about living like a king in Nigeria and not paying taxes. Yet you complain about the lack of basic amenities in the same country.

The U.K you are dying to visit is beautiful because the inhabitants have learnt to pay taxes.

Emmm sori ooooo oga kokoye.
Reading through the first page of this thread and the above caught my attention. will soon go tru the whole thread sha.

i personally work and regularly pay my Tax in Naija but what do the govt av on ground to encourage me to continue If i work in a place like Lagos, probably i will be willing to continue(though it goes beyond Tax payment, good governance is part of it) but i dont tink its wise to continue with it where i am now. what i am trying to say really is in my opinion, Paying taxes in Naija does not neccessarily translate to provision of basic amenities.

1 Like

Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Redman44(m): 7:50am On Jan 14, 2010
Well, I'm not going to respond to those who make comments without really knowing what obtains in advanced nations. What I'm going to say is this: No matter how hard you work and how hard you strive to succeed in the so called professional jobs, you'll not make it like those who've embraced entrepreneurship. No wonder guys like Alexander Amosu and Dayo Olomu are doing well in the United Kingdom. I have taken my time to study the lives of successful Nigerians in the diaspora, and I've found out that most of them are entrepreneurs or are gifted people like musicians, actors, actresses, artists, Film makers etc. The system in the western world is designed in such a way that its difficult for the black man to get to the top unless he does his thing and looks inward [ It hardly matters if the black person was born there]. I'm outta this thread. Cheers.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by ohisng(m): 7:55am On Jan 14, 2010
Wetin u wan go do for abroad? Stay here and work hard and one day u may hit the jackpot. NOTHING special dey overseas oh. Besides how long will Nigerians keep subjecting themselves to humiliation?
Have some dignity!!!
as for @redman, i guess psquare, dbang, olu jacobs, RMD, Festus Keyamo, Pat Utomi and LOTS more are NOT successful?
People should stop looking for excuses to cover their inabilities. What skills do u have that would make any employer want u? and please dont mention 1st degree!!
Let me tell u the bitter truth:
EXCELLENCE IS ALWAYS RECOGNIZED AND REWARDED whether u live in Koln or Kaura Namode
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Demdem(m): 8:08am On Jan 14, 2010
ohisng:

Wetin u wan go do for abroad? Stay here and work hard and one day u may hit the jackpot. NOTHING special dey overseas oh. Besides how long will Nigerians keep subjecting themselves to humiliation?
Have some dignity!!!
as for @redman, i guess psquare, dbang, olu jacobs, RMD, Festus Keyamo, Pat Utomi and LOTS more are NOT successful?
People should stop looking for excuses to cover their inabilities. What skills do u have that would make any employer want u? and please dont mention 1st degree!!
Let me tell u the bitter truth:
EXCELLENCE IS ALWAYS RECOGNIZED AND REWARDED whether u live in Koln or Kaura Namode

@ohisng
This ur post is slightly funny oooo especially the jackpot part. Can u kinldly expantiate on this wink wink
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Kx: 8:13am On Jan 14, 2010
Is living abroad worth it?

Well,I guess it depends on how u look at it.
If u have a sweet job in nigeria,u may not wish to live abroad,
especially if your job affords you the means of living a decent life back home.

But if you have no job,no connections,lack of opportunities etc back home,wont
you wish you were abroad though doing a menial job but earning a decent pay?

Its choice I guess.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by monger(m): 9:05am On Jan 14, 2010
lets pray for our country Naija to get better so that we would stop all this migration. embarassed
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by ocelot2006(m): 9:06am On Jan 14, 2010
I lived in the UK for two years (postgrad. Studies), returned back to Nigeria two months, and I can tell you that it was the very best (& easiest) decision I've made. With the british educational system being the only exception (no thanks to the current state of our universities), living in the UK is DEFINITELY NOT WORTH IT. To my fellow Nigerians who intend to relocate to other, I strongly advise that you have a rethink. We currently face a lot of problems in our beloved nation, but these in turn provide A LOT of opportunities (that is if you can take advantage of them, rather than sit and whine). Besides, why not stay home & contribute your own quota to the development of our nation rather than run to another man's country were you may not be accepted, & live as a 2nd class citizen doing menial jobs?
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Sagamite(m): 9:19am On Jan 14, 2010
ocelot2006:

I lived in the UK for two years (postgrad. Studies), returned back to Nigeria two months, and I can tell you that it was the very best (& easiest) decision I've made. With the british educational system being the only exception (no thanks to the current state of our universities), living in the UK is DEFINITELY NOT WORTH IT. To my fellow Nigerians who intend to relocate to other, I strongly advise that you have a rethink. We currently face a lot of problems in our beloved nation, but these in turn provide A LOT of opportunities (that is if you can take advantage of them, rather than sit and whine). Besides, why not stay home & contribute your own quota to the development of our nation rather than run to another man's country were you may not be accepted, & live as a 2nd class citizen doing menial jobs?

Can you expand on the reasons why it was the best and easiest decision you ever made?

What are the benefits you have realised in Naija, in the 2 months you have been back, that made you have the disposition?
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Wrex(m): 9:26am On Jan 14, 2010
God's time is the best, if ur time comes,u will go to the UK without hassle, trust me
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by chelseabmw(m): 10:17am On Jan 14, 2010
there's nothing abroad, but i always prefer there though grin
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Nobody: 10:20am On Jan 14, 2010
It's a real big shame that Nigerians have learnt the art of doing menial jobs abroad so they can continue staying there. It's stupid and insane, really!
Why have Nigerians brought Nigeria such shame??
Sometimes, you just wonder. . . . is it worth it at all?
I'm forced to conclude that Nigerians are to a great extent shameless individuals who put money and class above human dignity, and will stop at nothing until they actually prove this!!  angry
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Spader9(m): 10:28am On Jan 14, 2010
sauer:

It's a real big shame that Nigerians have learnt the art of doing menial jobs abroad so they can continue staying there. It's silly and insane, really!
Why have Nigerians brought Nigeria such shame??
Sometimes, you just wonder. . . . is it worth it at all?
I'm forced to conclude that Nigerians are to a great extent shameless individuals who put money and class above human dignity, and will stop at nothing until they actually prove this!! angry

Well said friend. . . Well said. . .
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by Sagamite(m): 10:30am On Jan 14, 2010
The way I see it (in London, not UK):

If you are making less than £18K, you are poor.

If you are making between £18K and £32K, you are managing.

If you are making between £32K and £50K, you are comfortable.

If you are making between £50K and £85K, you are doing good.

If you are making between £85K and £200K, you are a star.

If you are making above £200K, you are a superstar.

Majority of Nigerians I sense are managing but most professionals are comfortable.

Even if the professionals are married, and both couples make the comfortable range (hence can profit from economies of scale e.g. by having a combined mortgage), they still remain most times in comfortable due to the prohibitive cost of trying to give the best to their offspring which I find irritating sometimes.

E.g. when my nephew was on his way, I asked my sister-in-law what she wanted me to get. She told me she wanted some fancy pram that cost 400 bleeping quid because it was multi-purpose (also a child car seat), fashionable and advertised as having optimal safetyand like every woman in the West, she has to show she loves her child the most.  undecided. Na my fault say I asked  grin, I had to buy the yeye thing with money wey fit buy me jalopy to do kabu kabu for London and prosper in the business.  grin Person wey suppose get raappa (pata pata cost is £15 for even designer one) and tie pikin for back come dey yarn dust.  grin Anyway, I did it because I could see the glint in her eyes and she had already put her mind on that product, she is fantastic as a wife and also I felt it can be used for the next pikin. Now her punishment is she has to breed for the family so I can get ROI, ROCE and assets are well employed (ROA).  angry grin
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by maxtop(m): 10:37am On Jan 14, 2010
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin----dis people no go kill me sha.
Re: Is Living Abroad Worth It? by CGKing(m): 10:38am On Jan 14, 2010
eya! but the poster is so sincere. It is well with u. Just hang in naija, help make a change eh?!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

It Is Impossible To Save $30 (₦9,540) Daily In Canada / Lagos-ibadan Rail Will Begin Operations In January 2019 – FG / Accident Involving A Tanker At Benin-auchi Okene Express Way (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.