Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,267 members, 7,839,348 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:22 PM

North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina (6338 Views)

Rashida Bello Covers Vivian Lam Glamour Magazine / Southerners Erroneously Think The North Is Dependent On The South - Ben Bruce / Tribunal Upholds Lam-Adesina And Olugbemi’s Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by metalgong5(m): 12:31am On Jan 19, 2010
~Sauron~:

You are a disgrace to your tribesmen.

You know that the yoruba nation is a disgrace to humanity.  . .  Naturally attenuated cowards!!

When real men are talking, you guys are expected to be in your marijuana farms. . . . Bunch of retards .  . lipsrsealed
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by ziga: 12:34am On Jan 19, 2010
I hope you don't speak like this in public.

You always sound angry and in rage.

Your online personality is beyond me!!!
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by Tsiya(m): 12:38am On Jan 19, 2010
ziga:

I hope you don't speak like this in public.

You always sound angry and in rage.

Your online personality is beyond me!!!

There are people in this forum, who, God Forbid, if they have Nuclear war heads, will obliterate this world.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by Eziachi: 12:40am On Jan 19, 2010
My father was a member of that house/the youngest (Eastern House of Parliament).  And as  someone privy to vital information at the time, my father told me that many of them in the house knew about Biafra ahead of  Ojukwu or before they invited Ojukwu to tell him what they have decided and they will like him to lead until a full fledge republic is settled and then election will be held. Because, some wanted Michael Okpara to be the first Prime minister of Biafra and Chief Kogbara from Ijaw his deputy, but them eventually settle for a military person in view of a possible attack.  They have even chosen the name Biafra before Ojukwu was privy to it. The name Biafra was chosen/suggested by Chief  Kemte Giadom (A in Ijaw man).  Kemte Giadom was the NPP gubernatorial candidate in the old Rivers state, defeated by the most narrowest margin by Chief Melford Okilo (NPN) in 1979.

The reason I am recalling the above was because the ongoing discussion regarding Awolowo's pre-Biafran secession statement.  His statement is not the reason the East seceded but at that time, it was a big boos. call it catalyst that inspired Biafran politicians to push ahead. When Nigeria eventually declared war on Biafra, my two brothers were among the first battalion that were quickly drafted to the infamous Ore and I missed it because I was separated from them and was drafted to Abudu/Ogoja sector.

But I can tell for a fact that, the battalion that went to Ore were briefed that, based on information available to Biafran highest chain of command, that the West (Yoruba) will declare their own independent in a matter of days and they will likely to be attacked by the northern forces, who now dominated the Nigerian military force after Eastern officers left. In addition, all the big commands/armouries are still in Lagos, all under the northern commanders.

Therefore, the idea is to match toward the west to help defend them in the event of reprisal attack by the north.  It is always heart breaking when you heard young people today, especially those from the west been fed an unforgiving lies that Yoruba joined the war when Biafra decided to invade Yoruba land.  Therefore, when the West did the opposite of our expectation, it was not only a shock but a complete overhaul of Biafran plans. However, we were determined to leave union with or without the West but again we made another fatal mistake of thinking that Britain would not be involved directly with arming Nigeria.
We knew they will support the anything with the north, not to the extent of their involvement, even working hand in hand with Egypt they fought a couple of years earlier for the Suez Canal.

These are the fact of the matter, that the venom, our western brothers pursued the war was a shock, not only to Biafran big high and mighty but to ordinary everyday folks in the East. The direct actions/pronouncements of the likes of Awo, Adekunle, Obasanjo during and after the war,  till today,  confusing to many Biafrans citizens
Because the question on everybody’s lips was, was, why? why? Why? Because until that moment, we have no history of any known conflict between the two regions apart from normal tiffs among politicians and then we heard Adekunle on our small transistor radio through the BBC world service  boasting that when he matched to the east, he will kill not only things that move but things that doesn't move.  Therefore, he did!

He is not one of the so-called northerners, our perceived enemies; he is one of us, a southerner. What was our crime to them before the war?
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by metalgong5(m): 12:50am On Jan 19, 2010
Eziachi:

My father was a member of that house/the youngest.  And as  someone privy to vital information at the time, my father told me that many of them in the house knew about Biafra  Ojukwu or before they invited Ojukwu to tell him what they have decided and they will like him to lead until a full fledge republic is settled and then election will be held. Because, some wanted Michael Okpara to be the first Prime minister of Biafra and Chief Kogbara from Ijaw his deputy, but them eventually settle for a military person in view of a possible attack.  They have even chosen the name Biafra before Ojukwu was privy to it. The name Biafra was chosen by Chief  Kemte Giadom (an Ijaw man).  Kemte Giadom was the NPP gubernatorial candidate in the old Rivers state, defeated by the most narrowest margin by Chief Melford Okilo.

The reason I am recalling the above was because the ongoing discussion regarding Awolowo's pre-Biafran secession statement.  His statement is not the reason the East seceded but at that time, it was a big boost, call it catalyst that inspired Biafran politician to push ahead. When Nigeria eventually declared war on Biafra, my two brothers were among the first battalion that were quickly drafted to the infamous Ore and I missed it because I was separated from them and was drafted to Abudu/Ogoja sector.

But I can tell for a fact that, the battalion that went to Ore were briefed that, based on information available to Biafran highest chain of command, that the West (Yoruba) will declare their own independent in a matter of days and they will likely to be attacked by the northern forces, who now dominated the Nigerian military force after Eastern officers left. In addition, all the big commands/armouries are still in Lagos, all under the northern commanders.

Therefore, the idea is to match toward the west to help defend them in the event of reprisal attack by the north.  It is always heart breaking when you heard young people today, especially those from the west been fed an unforgiving lies that Yoruba joined the war when Biafra decided to invade Yoruba land.  Therefore, when the West did the opposite of our expectation, it was not only a shock but a complete overhaul of Biafran plans. However, we were determined to leave union with or without the West but again we made another fatal mistake of thinking that Britain would not be involved directly with arming Nigeria.
We knew they will support the anything with the north, not to the extent of their involvement, even working hand in hand with Egypt they fought a couple of years earlier for the Suez Canal.

These are the fact of the matter, that the venom, our western brothers pursued the war was a shock, not only to Biafran big high and mighty but to ordinary everyday folks in the East. The direct actions/pronouncements of the likes of Awo, Adekunle, Obasanjo during and after the war,  till today,  confusing to many Biafrans citizens
Because the question on everybody’s lips was, was, why? why? Why? Because until that moment, we have no history of any known conflict between the two regions apart from normal tiffs among politicians and then we heard Adekunle on our small transistor radio through the BBC world service  boasting that when he matched to the east, he will kill not only things that move but things that doesn't move.  Therefore, he did!

He is not one of the so-called northerners, our perceived enemies; he is one of us, a southerner. What was our crime to them before the war?

It was just a case of jealousness . . .
Their innate inferiority complex drove the hopeless Yorubas to support their terrorist Northen brothers. That all.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by Katsumoto: 1:05am On Jan 19, 2010
Eziachi:

My father was a member of that house/the youngest.  And as  someone privy to vital information at the time, my father told me that many of them in the house knew about Biafra  Ojukwu or before they invited Ojukwu to tell him what they have decided and they will like him to lead until a full fledge republic is settled and then election will be held. Because, some wanted Michael Okpara to be the first Prime minister of Biafra and Chief Kogbara from Ijaw his deputy, but them eventually settle for a military person in view of a possible attack.  They have even chosen the name Biafra before Ojukwu was privy to it. The name Biafra was chosen by Chief  Kemte Giadom (an Ijaw man).  Kemte Giadom was the NPP gubernatorial candidate in the old Rivers state, defeated by the most narrowest margin by Chief Melford Okilo.

The reason I am recalling the above was because the ongoing discussion regarding Awolowo's pre-Biafran secession statement.  His statement is not the reason the East seceded but at that time, it was a big boost, call it catalyst that inspired Biafran politician to push ahead. When Nigeria eventually declared war on Biafra, my two brothers were among the first battalion that were quickly drafted to the infamous Ore and I missed it because I was separated from them and was drafted to Abudu/Ogoja sector.

Therefore, the idea is to match toward the west to help defend them in the event of reprisal attack by the north.  It is always heart breaking when you heard young people today, especially those from the west been fed an unforgiving lies that Yoruba joined the war when Biafra decided to invade Yoruba land.  Therefore, when the West did the opposite of our expectation, it was not only a shock but a complete overhaul of Biafran plans. However, we were determined to leave union with or without the West but again we made another fatal mistake of thinking that Britain would not be involved directly with arming Nigeria.

These are the fact of the matter, that the venom, our western brothers pursued the war was a shock, not only to Biafran big high and mighty but to ordinary everyday folks in the East. The direct actions/pronouncements of the likes of Awo, Adekunle, Obasanjo during and after the war,  till today,  confusing to many Biafrans citizens
Because the question on everybody’s lips was, was, why? why? Why? Because until that moment, we have no history of any known conflict between the two regions apart from normal tiffs among politicians and then we heard Adekunle on our small transistor radio through the BBC world service  boasting that when he matched to the east, he will kill not only things that move but things that doesn't move.  Therefore, he did!

Thank you for the anec-dote. I don't think anyone on this thread has suggested that the BAF was invading the west.
I can understand why some hate Yoruba but that is when you focus only on the actions of some. Why focus only on Awo, Adekunle. why not on Soyinka, Ayo Ariyo, Ayo Banjo, Ademulegun, etc?
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by Eziachi: 1:21am On Jan 19, 2010
Katsumoto:

Thank you for the anec-dote. I don't think anyone on this thread has suggested that the BAF was invading the west.
I can understand why some hate Yoruba but that is when you focus only on the actions of some. Why focus only on Awo, Adekunle. why not on Soyinka, Ayo Ariyo, Ayo Banjo, Ademulegun, etc?

Because the thread was about another politician from the west INDIRECTLY encouraging SS to strike through the back door and some people are linking it to the like call made by Chief Awolowo in the 60s which many Biafran misread as a signal or encouragement to his feloow southerners.  Why should I mention the like of Banjo, Soyinka? They are great men whose yes is a true yes and their no is always no.
If you have followed my contributions, here, I had said it before that Ademulegun did his best to dispel the notion that that the '66 coup was mainly an Igbo coup. He is a forthright man.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by naijaking1: 1:59am On Jan 19, 2010
@Eziachi
Thanks for your usual educative brief.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by henry101(m): 2:11am On Jan 19, 2010
Eziachi:

My father was a member of that house/the youngest (Eastern House of Parliament). And as someone privy to vital information at the time, my father told me that many of them in the house knew about Biafra ahead of Ojukwu or before they invited Ojukwu to tell him what they have decided and they will like him to lead until a full fledge republic is settled and then election will be held. Because, some wanted Michael Okpara to be the first Prime minister of Biafra and Chief Kogbara from Ijaw his deputy, but them eventually settle for a military person in view of a possible attack. They have even chosen the name Biafra before Ojukwu was privy to it. The name Biafra was chosen/suggested by Chief Kemte Giadom (A in Ijaw man). Kemte Giadom was the NPP gubernatorial candidate in the old Rivers state, defeated by the most narrowest margin by Chief Melford Okilo (NPN) in 1979.

The reason I am recalling the above was because the ongoing discussion regarding Awolowo's pre-Biafran secession statement. His statement is not the reason the East seceded but at that time, it was a big boos. call it catalyst that inspired Biafran politicians to push ahead. When Nigeria eventually declared war on Biafra, my two brothers were among the first battalion that were quickly drafted to the infamous Ore and I missed it because I was separated from them and was drafted to Abudu/Ogoja sector.

Therefore, the idea is to match toward the west to help defend them in the event of reprisal attack by the north. It is always heart breaking when you heard young people today, especially those from the west been fed an unforgiving lies that Yoruba joined the war when Biafra decided to invade Yoruba land. Therefore, when the West did the opposite of our expectation, it was not only a shock but a complete overhaul of Biafran plans. However, we were determined to leave union with or without the West but again we made another fatal mistake of thinking that Britain would not be involved directly with arming Nigeria.

These are the fact of the matter, that the venom, our western brothers pursued the war was a shock, not only to Biafran big high and mighty but to ordinary everyday folks in the East. The direct actions/pronouncements of the likes of Awo, Adekunle, Obasanjo during and after the war, till today, confusing to many Biafrans citizens
Because the question on everybody’s lips was, was, why? why? Why? Because until that moment, we have no history of any known conflict between the two regions apart from normal tiffs among politicians and then we heard Adekunle on our small transistor radio through the BBC world service boasting that when he matched to the east, he will kill not only things that move but things that doesn't move. Therefore, he did!

Mr Eziachi, Thanks for the info.
Can U pls paste the letter written by Ojukwu to col. Banjo 2wards liberating Lagos and the west, if u have access to the letters.
Thanks.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by becomrich16: 2:32am On Jan 19, 2010
How does this names of President of the Republic of Benin.  sound to you, like yoruba names.

Sourou Migan
Justin Tomêtin
  Mathieu Kérékou
Iropa  Kouandété
  Boni Yayi

Look at the name above, you can take it to any yoruba in nigeria, they would tell you this name look Yoruba. Kerekou ,made several effort to unity the twoNow really apart from kerekou , . kerekou also have some bariba root in him.  Kerekou in yoruba means He would not die. Kerekou cousin was Iropa  Kouandété.  Take for example Iropa. Go ask any yoruba man what Iropa means. it is a name given to a child, when all hope is lost.  Even migan nearly made the republic of Benin part of Nigeria. iropa was also president. Migan is from around the sabe area. Tometin, root is from the royal house who trace his root to either Oyo or ife. I cant remember which.

All this name above were Presdient of the republic of Benin. There are 3 abeokuta. 2 of the three abeokuta are in the Republic of Benin.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by Abagworo(m): 2:41am On Jan 19, 2010
what are you wasting your time on.right from my days in primary school,i was thought that there are yorubas in benin republic.no one doubts you.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by grafikdon: 2:46am On Jan 19, 2010
Trust Becomerich to invade and ruin a thread with his often disjointed and pointless idiotic Benin Republic drivel. What a reprehensible epitome of mapographical eccentricity. . .
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by Eziachi: 2:55am On Jan 19, 2010
henry101:

Mr Eziachi, Thanks for the info.
Can U pls paste the letter written by Ojukwu to col. Banjo 2wards liberating Lagos and the west, if u have access to the letters.
Thanks.

This is the letter, I guess that your requested. I srtill got it in my archives.

LETTER FROM LT.COL. OJUKWU TO LT. COL.BANJO
22nd AUGUST 1967

Republic of Biafra,
Enugu.

22nd August, 1967.

My dear Victor,

1. For some time now, you and I have been discussing the circumstances that have led to the current and inevitable disintegration of what was the Federation of Nigeria. We have been fully convinced that the aim of the Hausa/Fulani complex has ever been, and will ever remain, the total domination of every other part of what was known as the Federation of Nigeria. It is impossible to forget that the crisis which led to the army take over in January 1966, the coup of the Northern soldiers led by Gowon in July 1966, the wholesale and indiscriminate massacre of the people of what is now Biafra- and, to a less degree, the people of the Mid-West and West, including the Yorubas, were all the direct result of Hausa/Fulani attempt to subjugate and use as tools, the gallant people of Western Nigeria namely the Yorubas. We do not need to remind ourselves of the heavy losses in life and property suffered by the Yoruba people in their fight for justice and freedom during 1965.

2. Sharing.our belief that the people of Yorubaland have a right to live a life of equality and self-respect and justice free of domination and dictatorship from any quarter, you have both identified with the cause of the Biafra struggle for survival and expressed your determination to see the people of Yorubaland freed from Hausa/Fulani domination.

We, the people of Biafra, for our part are willing and have decided to give you and the people of Yorubaland every assistance to achieve your aim.

3. After clearing the whole question with my Executive Council, I, as the Commander in Chief of the Biafran Armed Forces, have decided to place at your disposal Biafran forces, for the liberation of

Yorubaland on the following clear conditions:-

(i) You will have nothing to do with the Military Administrator in the Mid-West Territory during your sojourn there prior to your move to the West.

(ii) The willingness and preparedness of Biafra to assist any part of the former Federation of Nigeria wishing and willing to liberate itself from the Hausa/Fulani domination, does not in anyway whatever

imply any inclination on her part to compromise her sovereignty or preserve what remains of the defunct Federation of Nigeria. In other words, our sovereignty and break with Nigeria is irrevocable. Nothing must, therefore be said or done by you or any member of the Liberation Army to give a contrary impression.

(iii)  Biafra is determined to maintain and safeguard her sovereignty and ensure that her integrity and safety are never again threatened.

(iv) Biafran troops will, after the liberation of the Yorubaland, remain in that territory only for as long as we in Biafra consider it necessary for the Yorubas to consolidate their position and sovereignty against any external threat.

(v) On the liberation of the Yorubaland, you will be appointed as the Military Governor of that territory.

(vi) The liberation of Western Nigeria will be a prelude to the liberation of all Yorubas up to the River Niger and the severance of all connections between the West and the North at Jebba.

(vii) During the period of Biafrans troops’ presence in your territory, all political measures, statements or decrees shall be subject to the approval, in writing by myself or on my authority.

(viii) Should our troops arrive and liberate Lagos, the government of the Republic of Biafra reserves the right to appoint a Military administrator for the territory. Such an Administrator  will remain in office until a merger of that territory with Yorubaland is effected by Biafran troops.

(ix) As soon as possible after your appointment as the Military Governor of Western Nigeria and separation of that territory from Nigeria, you and I must meet to discuss:

(a)     The duration of stay of Biafran troops in your territory;

(b)     The areas and subjects of cooperation between the liberated sovereign states of Western Nigeria, or by what name it may call itself, and Biafra.

4. I do not need to remind you that Biafra regards all Yoruba as friends. As such everything should be done, to ensure the minimum force and loss of life are involved in achieving the objective of liberation.

5. It is essential, in order to avoid misunderstanding or confusion, that all subsequent requests for support be formally made to me by you in writing.

6. Will you please signify in writing, your acceptance of the above conditions so that you may leave for Western Nigeria and lead the army of liberation.

Yours very sincerely,

signed  Lt. Col. Emeka Odumegwu Ojukwu,

Military Governor and Commander in Chief of Biafran Armed Forces.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by Katsumoto: 2:56am On Jan 19, 2010
Eziachi:

My father was a member of that house/the youngest (Eastern House of Parliament).  And as  someone privy to vital information at the time, my father told me that many of them in the house knew about Biafra ahead of  Ojukwu or before they invited Ojukwu to tell him what they have decided and they will like him to lead until a full fledge republic is settled and then election will be held. Because, some wanted Michael Okpara to be the first Prime minister of Biafra and Chief Kogbara from Ijaw his deputy, but them eventually settle for a military person in view of a possible attack.  They have even chosen the name Biafra before Ojukwu was privy to it. The name Biafra was chosen/suggested by Chief  Kemte Giadom (A in Ijaw man).  Kemte Giadom was the NPP gubernatorial candidate in the old Rivers state, defeated by the most narrowest margin by Chief Melford Okilo (NPN) in 1979.

The reason I am recalling the above was because the ongoing discussion regarding Awolowo's pre-Biafran secession statement.  His statement is not the reason the East seceded but at that time, it was a big boos. call it catalyst that inspired Biafran politicians to push ahead. When Nigeria eventually declared war on Biafra, my two brothers were among the first battalion that were quickly drafted to the infamous Ore and I missed it because I was separated from them and was drafted to Abudu/Ogoja sector.

While most hate has been focused on Awo and the Yoruba people in general, I often wonder why Igbo people forget the actions of some of their sons before and during the war.

Zik
It has often been claimed that Zik was a detribalised Nigerian yet as President of the federation, he not only kept quiet when he was informed by Ifeajuna about the January coup, but also ran to the carribean to escape the fall-out. Surely as leader of the government, he should have persuaded his cousin not to act or reported him to the authorities. Was that a responsible act? Also by doing the wrong things, he gave credence to the shout that the coup was an Igbo coup.
Secondly, Zik originally supported Biafra but as soon as it appeared that the war was going to be lost, he gave his support to the Nigerian side.

There were several officers from the East who fought on the Nigerian side such as Brigadier Ekpo - COS, Brig. Ikwue, Ukpabi Asika, Alfred Diete-spiff, Jacob Esuene, etc. Easterners focus on Adekunle because he is a Yoruba man while they ignore that several of their sons fought against Biafra.

I think it is not only unfair to focus on Awo and Yoruba actions but also mischievous. You are focusing on the actions of the leader of another who was doing the best for his people while several of Eastern sons fought against Biafra. Why are Biafrans not critical of Zik for his role before and after the war? Is it because you would rather blame a Yoruba man who was looking out for his people.

It is high time Biafrans stopped blaming Yoruba people for the war. Before you do so again, please question the actions of some of your sons first. If I am wrong, then I welcome any corrections.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by Eziachi: 3:16am On Jan 19, 2010
@Katsumoto,

You like conspiracy theory a lot. Zik heard about the coup and went to the Carribean. Is that a fact or what you think could have happened?  This is not about focusing on anybody, but a significant role those constantly mentioned played. It is called carrying something on your head.  In a football match there is always 22 players, but a single player is always singled out to be crown the "Man of the match". Was it because he played alone or against himself? No. It because that player played a significant role with an outstanding perfomance that separate him from the rest.
These few people are focused on because they are the brain child- Starvation as a weapon, Abandoned property, 20 Nigerian Pounds policy and the immediate change from Pound to Naira in case some Igbos still hid their Nigerian pounds cash, which will be confiscated when they try to take it to the bank for the new Naira, the immediate ban on importation of second hand clothing/stock fish, the infamous Asaba massacre, the infamous quote of shooting even inordinate things. So these things stood out as the most crushing to all Easterners.

The Nazis were in their millions but only a handful were persecuted because of the their gaping actions or utterances.

Yes there are Easterner that did not support Biafra and that is a fact. Mind you Ukpabi Asika is not a soldier as you alluded but a politician (always check this small facts). He was said not to be a sympathiser to our cause for his personal reason and Gowon made him the first administrator of East after the war as a reward and made his infamous " ONYE UBE RURU" comment to our people and that his comment till this moment cement Ukpabi Asika's name as something never to be mentioned wherever Igbos congregated.  He died few years ago and no one cared, so you can see that it's not because the few often mentioned are Yorubas but their over glaring actions and utterances during the crisis.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by naijaking1: 3:29am On Jan 19, 2010
Katsumoto:

While most hate has been focused on Awo and the Yoruba people in general, I often wonder why Igbo people forget the actions of some of their sons before and during the war.

Zik
It has often been claimed that Zik was a detribalised Nigerian yet as President of the federation, he not only kept quiet when he was informed by Ifeajuna about the January coup, but also ran to the carribean to escape the fall-out. Surely as leader of the government, he should have persuaded his cousin not to act or reported him to the authorities. Was that a responsible act? Also by doing the wrong things, he gave credence to the shout that the coup was an Igbo coup.
Secondly, Zik originally supported Biafra but as soon as it appeared that the war was going to be lost, he gave his support to the Nigerian side.

There were several officers from the East who fought on the Nigerian side such as Brigadier Ekpo - COS, Brig. Ikwue, Ukpabi Asika, Alfred Diete-spiff, Jacob Esuene, etc. Easterners focus on Adekunle because he is a Yoruba man while they ignore that several of their sons fought against Biafra.

I think it is not only unfair to focus on Awo and Yoruba actions but also mischievous. You are focusing on the actions of the leader of another who was doing the best for his people while several of Eastern sons fought against Biafra. Why are Biafrans not critical of Zik for his role before and after the war? Is it because you would rather blame a Yoruba man who was looking out for his people.

It is high time Biafrans stopped blaming Yoruba people for the war. Before you do so again, please question the actions of some of your sons first. If I am wrong, then I welcome any corrections.

While you're definitely entitled to your own narrow and personal opinion, how in the World are you trying to answer [b]Eziachi'[/b]s well written and researched article with such a subjective and blindly opinionated response
If Eziachi published Ojukwu's letter to prove his point, common sense would dictate that you publish a counter letter from say Awo to make your own point, no, all you want to do is feed us from your own slanted perspective. Tufiakwa!
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by Katsumoto: 3:31am On Jan 19, 2010
Eziachi:

@Katsumoto,

You like conspiracy theory a lot. Zik heard about the coup and went to the Carribean. Is that a fact or what you think could have happened?  This is not about focusing on anybody, but a significant role those constantly mentioned played. It is called carrying something on your head.  In a football match there is always 22 players, but a single player is always singled out to be crown the "Man of the match". Was it because he played alone or against himself? No. It because that player played a significant role with an outstanding perfomance that separate him from the rest.
These few people are focused on because they are the brain child- Starvation as a weapon, Abandoned property, 20 Nigerian Pounds policy and the immediate change from Pound to Naira in case some Igbos still hid their Nigerian pounds cash, which will be confiscated when they try to take it to the bank for the new Naira, the immediate ban on importation of second hand clothing/stock fish, the infamous Asaba massacre, the infamous quote of shooting even inordinate things. So these things stood out as the most crushing to all Easterners.

The Nazis were in their millions but only a handful were persecuted because of the their gaping actions or utterances.

Yes there are Easterner that did not support Biafra and that is a fact. Mind you Ukpabi Asika is not a soldier as you alluded but a politician (always check this small facts). He was said not to be a sympathiser to our cause for his personal reason and Gowon made him the first administrator of East after the war as a reward and made his infamous " ONYE UBE RURU" comment to our people and that his comment till this moment cement Ukpabi Asika's name as something never to be mentioned wherever Igbos congregated.  He died few years ago and no one cared, so you can see that it's not because the few often mentioned are Yorubas but their over glaring actions and utterances during the crisis.

Zik was Ifeajuna's cousin; Zik travelled before the coup and came back after the coup;

'Captain Emmanuel Nwobosi (rtd) who led operations in the West during the coup, holds the opinion that President Nnamdi Azikiwe was briefed about the coup plot by Major Emmanuel Ifeajuna in Lagos - but points out that his own sub-group was not in on Ifeajuna's duplicity.  He has also said that one of the intentions of the plotters was to release Chief Awolowo from jail - a somewhat strangely coincident plan to what Prime Minister Balewa was contemplating before he was killed.'

http://www.citizensfornigeria.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=34&Itemid=45

Could the paragraphs below explain why Zik did nothing?

Constitutional crisis of January 1965:  Following the controversial Federal Election of December 1964, ceremonial President Azikiwe of the NCNC, urged by radical intelligentsia, refused to invite Prime Minister Balewa of the NPC to form a government and issued orders mobilizing the Army to enforce his authority to suspend the government, annul the elections and appoint a temporary interim administrator to conduct elections.  However, the oath of allegiance of the officer corps was not only to the Commander in Chief but also to the government of Nigeria.

The Army Act (#26 of 1960) and the Navy Act (#9 of 1960) were also clear on lines of authority and control. While the Army and Navy were "under the general authority" of the Defence Minister in matters of "command, discipline and administration", the authority for operational use and control was vested in the Council of Ministers and the Prime Minister.  President Azikiwe and the service chiefs were so advised by the Chief Justice and Attorney General of the Federation.

Thus the Navy Commander, Commodore Wey politely told the President that the Navy (under him), the Army (under Major General Welby-Everard) and the Police (under Louis Edet) had decided to refuse his orders. After a week of cliff hanging tension, in which the military stood aside, a political compromise was eventually reached and a government of "national unity" formed under Prime Minister Balewa.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by naijaking1: 3:35am On Jan 19, 2010
Katsumoto:

Zik was Ifeajuna's cousin; Zik travelled before the coup and came back after the coup;

'Captain Emmanuel Nwobosi (rtd) who led operations in the West during the coup, holds the opinion that President Nnamdi Azikiwe was briefed about the coup plot by Major Emmanuel Ifeajuna in Lagos - but points out that his own sub-group was not in on Ifeajuna's duplicity. He has also said that one of the intentions of the plotters was to release Chief Awolowo from jail - a somewhat strangely coincident plan to what Prime Minister Balewa was contemplating before he was killed.'

http://www.citizensfornigeria.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=34&Itemid=45

Could the paragraphs below explain why Zik did nothing?

Constitutional crisis of January 1965: Following the controversial Federal Election of December 1964, ceremonial President Azikiwe of the NCNC, urged by radical intelligentsia, refused to invite Prime Minister Balewa of the NPC to form a government and issued orders mobilizing the Army to enforce his authority to suspend the government, annul the elections and appoint a temporary interim administrator to conduct elections. However, the oath of allegiance of the officer corps was not only to the Commander in Chief but also to the government of Nigeria.

The Army Act (#26 of 1960) and the Navy Act (#9 of 1960) were also clear on lines of authority and control. While the Army and Navy were "under the general authority" of the Defence Minister in matters of "command, discipline and administration", the authority for operational use and control was vested in the Council of Ministers and the Prime Minister. President Azikiwe and the service chiefs were so advised by the Chief Justice and Attorney General of the Federation.

Thus the Navy Commander, Commodore Wey politely told the President that the Navy (under him), the Army (under Major General Welby-Everard) and the Police (under Louis Edet) had decided to refuse his orders. After a week of cliff hanging tension, in which the military stood aside, a political compromise was eventually reached and a government of "national unity" formed under Prime Minister Balewa.

Super!
Thanks for the research.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by Pifa: 5:14am On Jan 19, 2010
@Katsumoto & @Eziachi

I learned a few things about Nigeria and the history of the Biafran war from your posts. As someone who left the country at a young age, I rely on historical publications -- such as the documents you posted -- for information about the country and its past. It was also quite pleasant to see you guys carry out this debate without hurling insults at one another. Well done!
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by aloyemeka7: 5:49am On Jan 19, 2010
Katsumoto:

Thank you very much for this. I owe you one carton of Gulder. Soyinka was jailed because he supported Biafra and Igbos are so absorbed with Awolowo and what he did to them that they forgot what Soyinka did for Igbos besides, I heard some Yoruba soldiers fought for Biafra too.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by aloyemeka7: 5:57am On Jan 19, 2010
Eziachi:

I also thank you for this one too. Personally, I do believe that Yorubas should reserve their rights to support or oppose the war but the betrayal is what is paining igbos.

I may decide to approach a good friend today and tell him that I want to rob a bank for example; As a friend, I expect him to either join me or tell me right in my face that he will not and never support me. Awolowo had other plans and needed Igbos to declare Biafra in order to actualize them. He figure that the west will lose nothing if they stand neutral and if Biafra succeeds, Igbos will giove way for his ethnic group to control everything in Nigeria. What he didn't calculate is the future and his Northern friends will soon turn to talibans.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by naijaking1: 8:06am On Jan 19, 2010
@Katsumoto
Thanks again for the link to Haruna's book. Though many of his point are simple conjectures at best, and a strecht of the imagination at worst, it has allowed me see how somebody raised under the influence that sort repeatative lies would end up thinking that the whole thing is true.
For example, the allegation against Zik were just too much of a stretch. First, he pointed out that Ifeajuna was Zik's cousin--- thereby insinuating that Zik was tipped off about the coup or was even part of the coup. Then, he went into Igbo bashing as if justify the cold blooded murder of Ironsi and Fajuyi by his "trusted" security details from the north. Though I have not finished the book, I can tell you that it would not pass historical and factual checks with time. Nevertheless, I enjoyed hearing from the other side.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by princekevo(m): 8:09am On Jan 19, 2010
aloy*emeka:

I also thank you for this one too. Personally, I do believe that Yorubas should reserve their rights to support or oppose the war but the betrayal is what is paining igbos.

I may decide to approach a good friend today and tell him that I want to rob a bank for example; As a friend, I expect him to either join me or tell me right in my face that he will not and never support me. Awolowo had other plans and needed Igbos to declare Biafra in order to actualize them. He figure that the west will lose nothing if they stand neutral and if Biafra succeeds, Igbos will giove way for his ethnic group to control everything in Nigeria. What he didn't calculate is the future and his Northern friends will soon turn to talibans.

And that is exactly the reason why we are suffering today.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by revolt(m): 8:21am On Jan 19, 2010
@Katsum, Stop twisting history who said zik supportd nigeria during the war. And for you all that think he was tipped off before the coup don't forget he was a strong man (by african terms you know what i mean). Awos betrayal cannot be over looked. Yes we know there were some yorubz dat didnt support da genocide but majority took sides with awo and till today stil gve reasons why if they were in his shoes they'd still play the sabotage game. They see his action as wisdom.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by chosen04(f): 8:52am On Jan 19, 2010
Eziachi:

My father was a member of that house/the youngest (Eastern House of Parliament). And as someone privy to vital information at the time, my father told me that many of them in the house knew about Biafra ahead of Ojukwu or before they invited Ojukwu to tell him what they have decided and they will like him to lead until a full fledge republic is settled and then election will be held. Because, some wanted Michael Okpara to be the first Prime minister of Biafra and Chief Kogbara from Ijaw his deputy, but them eventually settle for a military person in view of a possible attack. They have even chosen the name Biafra before Ojukwu was privy to it. The name Biafra was chosen/suggested by Chief Kemte Giadom (A in Ijaw man). Kemte Giadom was the NPP gubernatorial candidate in the old Rivers state, defeated by the most narrowest margin by Chief Melford Okilo (NPN) in 1979.

The reason I am recalling the above was because the ongoing discussion regarding Awolowo's pre-Biafran secession statement. His statement is not the reason the East seceded but at that time, it was a big boos. call it catalyst that inspired Biafran politicians to push ahead. When Nigeria eventually declared war on Biafra, my two brothers were among the first battalion that were quickly drafted to the infamous Ore and I missed it because I was separated from them and was drafted to Abudu/Ogoja sector.

Therefore, the idea is to match toward the west to help defend them in the event of reprisal attack by the north. It is always heart breaking when you heard young people today, especially those from the west been fed an unforgiving lies that Yoruba joined the war when Biafra decided to invade Yoruba land. Therefore, when the West did the opposite of our expectation, it was not only a shock but a complete overhaul of Biafran plans. However, we were determined to leave union with or without the West but again we made another fatal mistake of thinking that Britain would not be involved directly with arming Nigeria.

These are the fact of the matter, that the venom, our western brothers pursued the war was a shock, not only to Biafran big high and mighty but to ordinary everyday folks in the East. The direct actions/pronouncements of the likes of Awo, Adekunle, Obasanjo during and after the war, till today, confusing to many Biafrans citizens
Because the question on everybody’s lips was, was, why? why? Why? Because until that moment, we have no history of any known conflict between the two regions apart from normal tiffs among politicians and then we heard Adekunle on our small transistor radio through the BBC world service boasting that when he matched to the east, he will kill not only things that move but things that doesn't move. Therefore, he did!

Another Classic from the one and only EZIACHI!
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by Katsumoto: 9:05am On Jan 19, 2010
revolt:

@Katsum, Stop twisting history who said zik supportd nigeria during the war. And for you all that think he was tipped off before the coup don't forget he was a strong man (by african terms you know what i mean). Awos betrayal cannot be over looked. Yes we know there were some yorubz dat didnt support da genocide but majority took sides with awo and till today stil gve reasons why if they were in his shoes they'd still play the sabotage game. They see his action as wisdom.

When information is presented to people such as yourself, you disbelieve it because it does not fit with the stories you were told.

Benjamin Nnamdi Azikiwe , 1904-96, Nigerian statesman, popularly known as Zik. After advanced studies in the United States (1925), he returned to Nigeria, founded a chain of newspapers, and became one of the country's leading Igbo nationalists. He led a general strike in 1945 and later held the premiership (1954-59) of E Nigeria. Although his coalition won the 1959 elections, he was appointed (1960) to the honorary office of governor-general. In 1963 he became the first president of the Republic of Nigeria, serving until deposed by a military coup (1966). He worked abroad for Biafran secession (see Biafra ), but advocated reunification when the revolt seemed doomed. After returning to Nigeria in 1972, he became chancellor of Lagos Univ. He ran unsuccessfully for president in 1979 and 1983.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Benjamin_Nnamdi_Azikiwe.aspx

What about another source below:

Nnamdi Azikiwe
(born Nov. 16, 1904, Zungeru, Nigeria — died May 11, 1996, Enugu) First president (1963 – 66) of independent Nigeria. Azikiwe's National Council party won the important 1959 federal elections and helped stimulate Nigerian independence. In the conflict over Biafra (1967 – 70), [b]Azikiwe first backed his fellow Igbo but then threw his support to the federal government. [/b]Thereafter he was a leading opponent of the ruling party.

http://www.answers.com/topic/nnamdi-azikiwe

Revolt are you convinced now? Zik's counter-productive actions/inactions were downplayed by the Igbo after the war. I can not give reasons why. Instead they focused their energies on Awo because it was easier to blame the Yoruba man. Eziachi, you were a witness to the civil war, why are you not telling this man the truth? Tell him about Zik's betrayal. Awo did what was best for his people and for that he is lebelled duplicitous. Why did Zik switch sides? Because Biafra were going to lose the war.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by chosen04(f): 9:10am On Jan 19, 2010
Eziachi:

LETTER FROM LT.COL. OJUKWU TO LT. COL.BANJO
22nd AUGUST 1967

Republic of Biafra,
Enugu.

4. I do not need to remind you that Biafra regards all Yoruba as friends. As such everything should be done, to ensure the minimum force and loss of life are involved in achieving the objective of liberation.

5. It is essential, in order to avoid misunderstanding or confusion, that all subsequent requests for support be formally made to me by you in writing.

Yours very sincerely,

signed  Lt. Col. Emeka Odumegwu Ojukwu,

The bolded is exactly how i and most Ndigbos see and treat Yorubas, unfortunately majority of them see and treat us in the words of AWO:

"All is fair in war, and starvation is one of the weapons of war. I don't see why we should feed our enemies fat in order for them to fight harder." Chief Obafemi Awolowo (Nigerian Minister of Finance)

Yeap, you heard me right: ENEMIES
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by Katsumoto: 9:14am On Jan 19, 2010
naijaking1:

@Katsumoto
Thanks again for the link to Haruna's book. Though many  of his point are simple conjectures at best, and a strecht of the imagination at worst, it has allowed me see how somebody raised under the influence that sort repeatative lies would end up thinking that the whole thing is true.
For example, the allegation against Zik were just too much of a stretch. First, he pointed out that Ifeajuna was Zik's cousin--- thereby insinuating that Zik was tipped off about the coup or was even part of the coup. Then, he went into Igbo bashing as if justify the cold blooded murder of Ironsi and Fajuyi by his "trusted" security details from the north. Though I have not finished the book, I can tell you that it would not pass historical and factual checks with time. Nevertheless, I enjoyed hearing from the other side.

Was it a simple conjecture that Zik was Ifeajuna's cousin? Was Zik not out of the country? Was that a coincidence? Ok, are you aware that Zik's personal physician left Zik in the caribbean because he ran out of funds and didn't understand why Zik took him along when Zik was perfectly healthy? Zik's excuse for leaving the country was that he wanted to rest as he wasn't physically fit. The constitutional crisis of 1965; was that a simple conjecture as well. Does it surprise you that a coup followed exactly one year after Zik was told about the limited powers he had as President?

You can choose to believe what you want. I have provided the information; let everyone make up their minds.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by Katsumoto: 9:17am On Jan 19, 2010
chosen04:

The bolded is exactly how i and most Ndigbos see and treat Yorubas, unfortunately majority of them see and treat us in the words of AWO:

"All is fair in war, and starvation is one of the weapons of war. I don't see why we should feed our enemies fat in order for them to fight harder." Chief Obafemi Awolowo (Nigerian Minister of Finance)

Yeap, you heard me right: ENEMIES

You are a lost cause. Even when information is presented to you about heroic actions from Yoruba sons and back-stabbing actions about sons of Biafra (including Zik), you still continue to focus on Awo.

Do you have a problem understanding english grammar? Biafra and Nigeria were engulfed in war; were they not enemies for the duration of the war?
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by Katsumoto: 9:24am On Jan 19, 2010
aloy*emeka:

Thank you very much for this. I owe you one carton of Gulder. Soyinka was jailed because he supported Biafra and Igbos are so absorbed with Awolowo and what he did to them that they forgot what Soyinka did for Igbos besides, I heard some Yoruba soldiers fought for Biafra too.

How do I collect my Carton of Gulder? grin grin grin
Thank you for your objectivity; some people just want to make Yoruba the enemy.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by revolt(m): 9:42am On Jan 19, 2010
What's the big deal about zik. ur tryn 2 move away from the main point. It's about justifying the actions and support of majority of the west during the civil war and for you'r info zik is not respected amongst his kins men. And please he never switched sides our grieviances with him was that he could have ended the war a long time before it ended with his diplomatic ties. If was punishing the young officers for making him irrelevant in politics. Thats why when he finally came out the war ended. We don't hate him but he's not celebrated.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by chosen04(f): 9:45am On Jan 19, 2010
Katsumoto:

You are a lost cause. Even when information is presented to you about heroic actions from Yoruba sons and back-stabbing actions about sons of Biafra (including Zik), you still continue to focus on Awo.

Do you have a problem understanding english grammar? Biafra and Nigeria were engulfed in war; were they not enemies for the duration of the war?

Its obvious you are lost and needs help!. During the war, its on record that no BIAFRAN used the word ENEMY for any Yoruba person. For AWO using such its shows his kind of person and what his fellowers will become

Do you have problem understanding simple sentences such as the content of the OJUKWU's letter?:

4. I do not need to remind you that Biafra regards all Yoruba as friends

For your info. the bolded means not even before, during and after war will Biafra consider Yorubas has non-friends(enemies). Just admit it that Awo was wrong or support him cos its in your character.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Yar'adua's Brother,quits Military For Politics / 2011 Nigerian Presidential Inauguration Thread / Imagine If An Igbo Man Said This About Yorubas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 166
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.