Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,026 members, 7,838,576 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:29 AM

North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina (6335 Views)

Rashida Bello Covers Vivian Lam Glamour Magazine / Southerners Erroneously Think The North Is Dependent On The South - Ben Bruce / Tribunal Upholds Lam-Adesina And Olugbemi’s Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by sjeezy8: 9:28pm On Jan 18, 2010
Katsumoto:

You need to stop analysing the complex issues bedeviling our nation from a very narrow and dare I say it, selfish view.

guy war is not the answer - so I think you should stop spending time tryin to have one between north and south.

Onlytruth:

@Katsumoto

I know you mean well. That is why I will take your statement in good faith.

About Awo's statement, you could have been right if Awo ensured that the Yoruba stayed out of the war efforts, including himself. I am taking this issue from a minimalist perspective. Awo knew that the East was not happy with Nigeria and was aware of the Aburi accord. He knew, some say he was privy, to the abandonment of the Aburi accord.

So, it was immoral of him to make the statement and then follow through with actions denying the East the ability to secede. If he expressly said that the west would never leave Nigeria, or that the West would join any efforts to keep Nigeria one, then his accusers would have been wrong. He spoke of the "rightness" of Eastern agitations and the immorality of waging war against the East for wanting to leave the federation.

I can post his speech and the exact quotes if you doubt me.
Let us be careful to enable us quench this useless southern disunity.
Here I stand.

shut up please you this gal, whether there is southern unity or disunity among yoruba people or igbo people , I dont care.

What happend 40 years ago is gone and i dont give a shiot Awo, Zik or Ojukwu
so stop running your mouth
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by activities: 9:31pm On Jan 18, 2010
Onlytruth:

@Katsumoto

About Awo's statement, you could have been right if Awo ensured that the Yoruba stayed out of the war efforts, including himself. I am taking this issue from a minimalist perspective. Awo knew that the East was not happy with Nigeria and was aware of the Aburi accord. He knew, some say he was privy, to the abandonment of the Aburi accord.

So, it was immoral of him to make the statement and then follow through with actions denying the East the ability to secede. If he expressly said that the west would never leave Nigeria, or that the West would join any efforts to keep Nigeria one, then his accusers would have been wrong. He spoke of the "rightness" of Eastern agitations and the immorality of waging war against the East for wanting to leave the federation.

Here I stand.
Katsumoto:

Just like I thought, a generation given information without the ability to analyse issues themselves.
Awo said IF the eastern region is allowed ,    Is that not a conditional statement? A statement of declaration was made but Gowon did not allow the East to Leave Nigeria.

In a nutshell let me break it down for you. If Biafra succeeded in becoming a nation, then Awo would equally have set in motion actions designed to take the West out of Nigeria. Since Biafra did not succeed, we will never know what Awo would have done. This is a lesson in simple English grammer.

so, who fooled who ?
   Good morning Mr Governor.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by SapeleGuy: 9:36pm On Jan 18, 2010
Onlytruth.
In the same vein Mid West declared neutrality but this was not respected by either party.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by Onlytruth(m): 9:36pm On Jan 18, 2010
sjeezy8:

guy war is not the answer - so I think you should stop spending time tryin to have one between north and south.

shut up please you this gal, whether there is southern unity or disunity among yoruba people or igbo people , I dont care.

I'll leave your sissy a's's to your brother Katsu to rein in. If he doesn't, I'll unleash my quartet of Eastern nuclear missiles - Mekus, Wily*Wily, Metalgong and Sunnybobo.

Afoanu! grin
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by Katsumoto: 9:39pm On Jan 18, 2010
Onlytruth:

@Katsumoto

Here I stand.

I agree with the text in bold on the basis that him and other Yoruba leaders should have acted differently but not on the basis of the quote that we are analysing. The quote in question can only be construed as meaning that Nigeria should remain one; a nation including the East. On that basis, I think his subsequents actions were inline with the quote. I assume that he wanted to be in a nation that included Easterners; he did not want to be in a nation with just Northerners. That is my interpretation.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by sjeezy8: 9:40pm On Jan 18, 2010
Onlytruth:

I'll leave your sissy a's's to your brother Katsu to rein in. If he doesn't, I'll unleash my quartet of Eastern nuclear missiles - Mekus, Wily*Wily, Metalgong and Sunnybobo.

Afoanu! grin

lol so . . . . abusing yoruba people doesnt hurt me i dont care im only with Nigeria to live good and make money, has nothing to do with being yoruba or hausa or igbo lmfao

dumb people like you will never understand no one gives a shiot about tribes anymore - WE LIKE MONEY AND WOMEN.

SO SIT DOWN AND BRING YOUR SISTER I GOT MONEY TO GIVE HER grin cool
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by Onlytruth(m): 9:45pm On Jan 18, 2010
SapeleGuy:

Onlytruth.
In the same vein Mid West declared neutrality but this was not respected by either party.

For Biafrans, the midwest was never really a war theater and you know it. The whole Biafran war strategy (which was really very docile if you think about it), was to rush to Lagos and to capture the seat of power in Lagos which would have enabled people like Awolowo and others who may want to secede to do. I suspect that if Biafra really wanted to make the midwest a war theater, Biafran troops wouldn't have rushed off to Ore. They would have even stopped at Benin and continue sending reinforcements there using Igbo elements in midwest. There was a sizable Biafra sympathizers in the Igbo areas of Midwest to enable Biafra have a foothold for a long military campaign there. If anyone turned the midwest into a war zone proper, it was people like Ejoor and Ogbemudia, Murtala Muhammed and others. Biafra simply rushed past midwest and headed for Lagos but turned back at Ore.
If there were other ways of getting to Lagos faster, the Biafran troops would have simply bypassed midwest.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by Katsumoto: 9:46pm On Jan 18, 2010
sjeezy8:

On what thread did you witness me advocating war? I have never advocated war. Yes it is true that the events of 40 years are past but we are still dealing with the concomitant fall-outs of both pre and post war Nigeria.
Once again, I urge you to be careful with your utterances on this forum; there is no need to make incendiary comments. You don't care about southern unity or disunity, yet you expect Nigeria to remain one? I doesn't make sense. Let Nigeria be one if we are united or let everyone go there separate ways, if we are not going to be united.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by sjeezy8: 9:49pm On Jan 18, 2010
Katsumoto:

On what thread did you witness me advocating war? I have never advocated war. Yes it is true that the events of 40 years are past but we are still dealing with the concomitant fall-outs of both pre and post war Nigeria.
Once again, I urge you to be careful with your utterances on this forum; there is no need to make incendiary comments. You don't care about southern unity or disunity, yet you expect Nigeria to remain one? I doesn't make sense. Let Nigeria be one if we are united or let everyone go there separate ways, if we are not going to be united.

guy you were saying south unity war against the north along with this fool onlytruth.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by Katsumoto: 9:50pm On Jan 18, 2010
activities:

so, who fooled who ?
   Good morning Mr Governor.

Please explain further; you are not making sense.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by Katsumoto: 9:54pm On Jan 18, 2010
sjeezy8:

guy you were saying south unity war against the north along with this slowpoke onlytruth.

Anyone on these forums will make you aware that I have always preached one Nigeria. What I said was that in the case that issues were not addressed in Nigeria, then it would make sense for North and South to split peacefully. I remember telling Ndu_chuks that if the South was united in separation, then it would be an exercise in futility for the North to have two combat campaigns against the West and the East. Is that a wrong assumption to make?
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by sjeezy8: 9:57pm On Jan 18, 2010
Katsumoto:

Anyone on these forums will make you aware that I have always preached one Nigeria. What I said was that in the case that issues were not addressed in Nigeria, then it would make sense for North and South to split peacefully. I remember telling Ndu_chuks that if the South was united in separation, then it would be an exercise in futility for the North to have two combat campaigns against the West and the East. Is that a wrong assumption to make?

peacefully wont happen though so in other words you are advocating war.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by Onlytruth(m): 10:12pm On Jan 18, 2010
Katsumoto:

I agree with the text in bold on the basis that him and other Yoruba leaders should have acted differently but not on the basis of the quote that we are analysing. The quote in question can only be construed as meaning that Nigeria should remain one; a nation including the East. On that basis, I think his subsequents actions were inline with the quote. I assume that he wanted to be in a nation that included Easterners; he did not want to be in a nation with just Northerners. That is my interpretation.

Okay here is part of the speech:

"It is claimed that an attack on the East is going to be launched by the Federal Government and not by the north as such and that it is designed to ensure the unity and integrity of the Federation, two other insuperable points also become obvious. First, if a war against the East becomes a necessity it must be agreed to unanimously by the remaining units of the Federation. In this connection, the West, Mid-West and Lagos have declared their implacable opposition to the use of force in solving the present problem. In the face of such declarations by three out of the remaining four territories of Nigeria, a war against the East could only be a war favoured by the North alone."
-Obafemi Awolowo

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/for-the-records/speech-by-chief-obafemi-awolowo-made-to-the-western-leaders-of-thought-in-ibadan-1-may.html
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by Onlytruth(m): 10:13pm On Jan 18, 2010
"Second, if the true purpose of such a war is to preserve the unity and integrity of the Federation, then these ends can be achieved by the very simple devices of implementing the recommendations of the committee which met on August 9 1966,as affirmed by a decision of the limitary leaders at Aburi on January 5 1967 as well as by accepting such of the demands of the East, West, Mid-West and Lagos as are manifestly reasonable, and essential for assuring harmonious relationships and peaceful co-existence between them and their brothers and sisters in the North."

-Obafemi Awolowo

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/for-the-records/speech-by-chief-obafemi-awolowo-made-to-the-western-leaders-of-thought-in-ibadan-1-may.html
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by Onlytruth(m): 10:17pm On Jan 18, 2010
So first Awo acknowledged that a war can only happen at the behest of the North and recommended that Aburi should forestall war. But, when the war started, he shifted and became a chief war strategist against the same East.

What do you make of such duplicity?
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by Onlytruth(m): 10:23pm On Jan 18, 2010
Like I said earlier, the minimum any rational Easterner would have expected from Awo after that speech was that he ensured that the West stayed out of the war efforts. He not only failed to do that, he and elements like Adekunle played critical roles in Biafran deaths and ultimate loss of the war.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by Sauron1: 10:33pm On Jan 18, 2010
activities:

Good morning Yorubamen,
You are now seeing what a young man of 33 years saw 40 years ago.
once again Good morning sir,

You are a disgrace to your tribesmen.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by Katsumoto: 10:40pm On Jan 18, 2010
Onlytruth:

So first Awo acknowledged that a war can only happen at the behest of the North and recommended that Aburi should forestall war. But, when the war started, he shifted and became a chief war strategist against the same East.

What you do make of such duplicity?

What changed the landscape between when he made that speech and when acted against Biafra? The West and Mid-west were neutral and that was why Gowon attempted to fight Biafra from the North through Benue. The West and the Mid-west became involved when Ojukwu sent the Biafran Expeditionary Force to the West. Gowon immediately formed the 2nd Division under Murtala with the aim of pursuing the Biafrans through the mid-west. Gowon then formed the 3rd Division with the Brigades from Lagos. So in essence, Ojukwu assisted Gowon to enlist the support of those that were opposed to the war.

While I understand why Ojukwu sent BAF to Lagos under Ayo Banjo, it was done without the agreement of Western and Mid-western leaders. Fearing that the West may soon become embroiled in the war, Awo acted in the manner in which he did. So to Biafrans, his actions appeared duplicitous. This is only my interpretation and opinion.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by SapeleGuy: 10:48pm On Jan 18, 2010
Breaking neutrality for tactical expediency was folly in hindsight but everyone is a master tactician after the event.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by Katsumoto: 10:49pm On Jan 18, 2010
Onlytruth:

Like I said earlier, the minimum any rational Easterner would have expected from Awo after that speech was that he ensured that the West stayed out of the war efforts. He not only failed to do that, he and elements like Adekunle played critical roles in Biafran deaths and ultimate loss of the war.

Adekunle was a soldier; you can not fault him for doing his job. Are you aware that Adekunle was almost killed at Minna for trying to save two Igbo officers who joined the train carrying Northern soldiers to Kaduna? He was bayoneted by Musa yaradua. Adekunle was given the very dangerous task of leading Northern soldiers from Enugu to the North.

What about people such as Soyinka who spent 26 months in prison for the Biafran cause? or Lt Col Ayo Ariyo who resigned his commission at Calabar because he did not want to fight against Biafra. What about the Ijebu farmers who were killed in the 'omopupa riots' protesting the war against Biafra.

You see, Onlytruth, for whatever reason, Igbo people have focused much on Awo's actions but have conveniently ignored the noble actions of other Yoruba people during that sad episode.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by Katsumoto: 10:50pm On Jan 18, 2010
SapeleGuy:

Breaking neutrality for tactical expediency was folly in hindsight but everyone is a master tactician after the event.

Please elaborate further.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by Onlytruth(m): 10:55pm On Jan 18, 2010
Katsumoto:

What changed the landscape between when he made that speech and when acted against Biafra? The West and Mid-west were neutral and that was why Gowon attempted to fight Biafra from the North through Benue. The West and the Mid-west became involved when Ojukwu sent the Biafran Expeditionary Force to the West. Gowon immediately formed the 2nd Division under Murtala with the aim of pursuing the Biafrans through the mid-west. Gowon then formed the 3rd Division with the Brigades from Lagos. So in essence, Ojukwu assisted Gowon to enlist the support of those that were opposed to the war.

While I understand why Ojukwu sent BAF to Lagos under Ayo Banjo, it was done without the agreement of Western and Mid-western leaders. Fearing that the West may soon become embroiled in the war, Awo acted in the manner in which he did. So to Biafrans, his actions appeared duplicitous. This is only my interpretation and opinion.

Biafran troops were only headed to the government house in Lagos to stop the possibility of a wide spread war. Lagos happened to be in Yorubaland. If it was in Calabar (like before) the Biafran troops wouldn't have ventured into Yoruba land or mid-west. But, you and I know that Awo and other Yorubas couldn't have assumed that Biafra was attacking the West. The quarrel was between the East and the North. If the seat of Power was in Abuja, Biafrans would have headed to Abuja straight. So, stop this line of argument cos you know better.

There is only one reason why Biafra went into Midwest and West - to get to Lagos the Capital.
There is an Igbo proverb that says that someone was already standing near a soothing fire when suddenly the harmattan began. It means that for Awo and other westerners to take sides so fast at the onset of conflict, they already were angling towards that. Whatever happened to his Aburi stance? Why didn't they swing to Biafran support instead?
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by Sauron1: 11:00pm On Jan 18, 2010
Katsumoto:

It is the TRUTH. . . . .

Awolowo couldn't stand back and watch Biafran troops turn Lagos into a battle ground.
Yoruba woulda suffered the carnage extensively and what we know of Lagos today woulda been no more.
Awolowo did what i woulda done in that circumstance and for that he remains my HERO. cool
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by Onlytruth(m): 11:08pm On Jan 18, 2010
~Sauron~:

It is the TRUTH. . . . .

Awolowo couldn't stand back and watch Biafran troops turn Lagos into a battle ground.
Yoruba woulda suffered the carnage extensively and what we know of Lagos today woulda been no more.
Awolowo did what i woulda done in that circumstance and for that he remains my HERO. cool

And I rest my case! Speeches apart, morality apart, principles apart, what matters always is the preservation of Yorubaland. So what is this governor Lam Adesina talking about? Who will fight with him in his fictitious war?
I know my people have already learned from such speeches in the past.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by Onlytruth(m): 11:10pm On Jan 18, 2010
And I respectfully take my leave of the thread!
Peace! cool
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by Sauron1: 11:10pm On Jan 18, 2010
Onlytruth:

And I rest my case! Speeches apart, morality apart, principles apart, what matters always is the preservation of Yorubaland. So what is this governor Lam Adesina talking about? Who will fight with him in his fictitious war?

The preservation of Yorubaland ensured Yoruba boys like me are LIVING today.
Prinicples, Morality and Stupid speeches at what cost? GENOCIDE??

You gotta be kidding me!!! Bleep BIAFRA.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by Katsumoto: 11:11pm On Jan 18, 2010
Onlytruth:

Biafran troops were only headed to the government house in Lagos to stop the possibility of a wide spread war. Lagos happened to be in Yorubaland. If it was in Calabar (like before) the Biafran troops wouldn't have ventured into Yoruba land or mid-west. But, you and I know that Awo and other Yorubas couldn't have assumed that Biafra was attacking the West. The quarrel was between the East and the North. If the seat of Power was in Abuja, Biafrans would have headed to Abuja straight. So, stop this line of argument cos you know better.

There is only one reason why Biafra went into Midwest and West - to get to Lagos the Capital.
There is an Igbo proverb that says that someone was already standing near a soothing fire when suddenly the harmattan began. It means that for Awo and other westerners to take sides so fast at the onset of conflict, they already were angling towards that. Whatever happened to his Aburi stance? Why didn't they swing to Biafran support instead?

Yes I agree that Ojukwu was not sending the troops to Lagos to attack the West. From the letter Ojukwu wrote to Ayo Banjo, he wanted to send forces to assist the west in fighting federal troops in Lagos. But we know that strategy would have failed; most of the troops in Lagos were Northern soldiers while there were still several Brigades in the North that were yet to taste action but were looking forward to it. If Banjo did not turn back at Ore, Murtala's 2nd Division would have chased the BAF all the way to Lagos. The BAF would have been sandwiched between the 2nd division and the Lagos brigades. That certainly would have turned the West into a battleground, which was what Awo was against.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by sjeezy8: 11:11pm On Jan 18, 2010
Onlytruth:

Amen now shut the hell up cause people like me were never going to join him anyway. One Nigeria is fine with people like me.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by revolt(m): 11:13pm On Jan 18, 2010
Saboteur im nt suprisd its a common feature of u guys
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by Katsumoto: 11:23pm On Jan 18, 2010
Onlytruth:

I don't get you at times. Why do you reach conclusions based on the words or actions of one person? The other day, you were reaching conclusions about Yoruba intentions based on what Becomrich was advocating. Everyone on these forums know who Becomrich is and yet you took his words as gospel. It is almost as if you want Yoruba people on the backfoot all the time. Lam Adesina was only expressing an opinion, he wasn't speaking for the Yoruba in general.
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by sjeezy8: 11:30pm On Jan 18, 2010
Katsumoto:

I don't get you at times. Why do you reach conclusions based on the words or actions of one person? The other day, you were reaching conclusions about Yoruba intentions based on what Becomrich was advocating. Everyone on these forums know who Becomrich is and yet you took his words as gospel. It is almost as if you want Yoruba people on the backfoot all the time. Lam Adesina was only expressing an opinion, he wasn't speaking for the Yoruba in general.

I dont know why you spend time discussing issues with stu-pid people like onlytruth. He wants yorubas to hate igbos- which isnt the case, he wants it to be a yoruba vs igbo thing. or hausa-yoruba vs igbo which wont be. because all yorubas arent the same. Hes a slowpoke
Foolish boy like him wants to fight his way out of Nigeria if being a coward/sabotuer is a trait of the west, suicide is a trait in the east.

We can always have civil war but who will die? the poor so stop being selfish fooools
Re: North Is Provoking Nigerians: Civil War Looms — Lam Adesina by Sunnybobo3(m): 11:39pm On Jan 18, 2010
The Yoruba people are at it again trying to push another tribe into war so that they'll sit down with their fellow suicide bomber North to share the spoil of war (oil). Why must old goatie Lam Adesina bring MEND into this.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Efcc Discovers World's Costliest Toilets / What Do Your State An LG Contribute To Nigeria And What Have You Done To Ensure They Contribute? / 40 Prisoners Freed In Katsina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.