Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,534 members, 7,816,304 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:13 AM

Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. (19024 Views)

Explosives Abandoned During Civil War Recovered By Police / Obasanjo Almost Lost His Joystick During Civil War / Soyinka Breaks Silence: BIAFRA (igbos) SUFFERED GENOCIDE During Civil War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by babapupa: 12:07am On Feb 19, 2010
Onlytruth:

You have done irreparable damage to your people by your gloating and mocking of innocents who were starved to death by your father Awolowo. Keep up the good work!

You sound like a troubled drama queen,
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by akigbemaru: 12:08am On Feb 19, 2010
Onlytruth:

You have done irreparable damage to your people by your gloating and mocking of innocents who were starved to death by your father Awolowo. Keep up the good work!
Onlyfool,
When I remember our Brig and colonels that you guys sufayos that died. I shout AKU TU KU WON LO NA ORUN. That means to say "all our biafailed monkeys that died should die again in hell." SON OF A B.ICT.H!!!!!!!

This is not the right channel to advocate to your people, go to Lagos and Abuja, tell Okenechuwku or Odili luxurious buses to stop plying West OR North again. They should only enroute just your 27, 000 square kilimeters of land.
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by bdidi: 12:49am On Feb 19, 2010
@ Reporter.

why this report now, what r u trying to prove. And what is with all the hating here. The war is long gone and u lil children r waging the war here on nairaland in the 21st century? Please u all should move on ok

Think about something better, stop dwelling in the past.
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by maximized(m): 1:46am On Feb 19, 2010
Fellow Nigerians, I think we are blowing this out of proportion. I suggest we start overlooking the colour of our skin, where you come from, family background, culture, creed, past experiences, primordial sentiments, prejudices e.t.c and always take the path of honour in all our decisions and be fair to all men no matter where you come from.

Please enough of these fights, it’s becoming illogical.

One love fellow nigerians.
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by beeke(m): 2:35am On Feb 19, 2010
I can't use d word STUPID no cos is not in my nature neither will i use foul language on dis ANTI IKEMBA NNEWI CHIEF DIM CHUKWUEMEKA ODUMEGWU OJUKWU i will rather ask some of u how OLD RE U WEN DIS WAR WAS STILL ON 4 sure i know dat some where not yet born then some based their argument on wot they were told while some speak becos dey feel dey actually know d TRUTH let me tell u guyz dat in d whole wide world wen it comes 2 TRUTH surpression nobody does it better dan d goverment dey can only tell u wot is gonna be convenient to them,let me avoid makin a GENERAL STATEMENT HERE d reason why some northern elite and some yoruba rulers hate this man called OJUKWU was simply becos he was not kill during the war mind u dat he {OJUKWU} did not RAN away nope, he left 9ja cos he was BETRAYED by dos he thought were his allies NDIGBO's was, is, and will alwaz b WARRIORS even though within ourselves who hav leadership problem if d civil war was fought btw nigerian and d yorubas i stand 2 b corrected to say dat d yorubas will have been exterminated from d face of dis earth but lo and behold after more than four decades of dis atrocities commited against d IGBO NATION and how nigerian gov continue their cold war against one of the twelve tribes of ISREAL {IGBO} we still remain the best enterprizin pple in 9ja without gov support as u all know some of the warlords as they are called are coolin their azz in d world court even dos as far back as d nazi's so my question is why cant the world court laid charges of genocide or wot have u on my DEAR IKEMBA NNEWI maybe some will say is neva to late for him to b charged but the simple truth is dat both UN AMERICA and other so called world power know wot some of us d lead in 9ja dont know wen i was 15 i ask my granny about d BIAFRAN WAR she just look @ me and said nwam meanin my son i will tell u everytin wen ur mind is matured four years later i ask again and she told me everytin becos she was some how involved from dat day up untill now i am still battlin with myself to block dos shocking revelation my now late granny told me MAY HER GENTLE MOST LOVING SOUL REST IN PERFECT PEACE AMEN  cry cry cry cry
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by kyuubi: 3:18am On Feb 19, 2010
beeke:

I can't use d word silly no cos is not in my nature neither will i use foul language on dis ANTI IKEMBA NNEWI CHIEF DIM CHUKWUEMEKA ODUMEGWU OJUKWU i will rather ask some of u how OLD RE U WEN DIS WAR WAS STILL ON 4 sure i know dat some where not yet born then some based their argument on wot they were told while some speak becos dey feel dey actually know d TRUTH let me tell u guyz dat in d whole wide world wen it comes 2 TRUTH surpression nobody does it better dan d goverment dey can only tell u wot is gonna be convenient to them,let me avoid makin a GENERAL STATEMENT HERE d reason why some northern elite and some yoruba rulers hate this man called OJUKWU was simply becos he was not kill during the war mind u dat he {OJUKWU} did not RAN away nope, he left 9ja cos he was BETRAYED by dos he thought were his allies NDIGBO's was, is, and will alwaz b WARRIORS even though within ourselves who hav leadership problem if d civil war was fought btw nigerian and d yorubas i stand 2 b corrected to say dat d yorubas will have been exterminated from d face of dis earth but lo and behold after more than four decades of dis atrocities commited against d IGBO NATION and how nigerian gov continue their cold war [b]against one of the twelve tribes of ISREAL {IGBO} [/b]we still remain the best enterprizin pple in 9ja without gov support as u all know some of the warlords as they are called are coolin their azz in d world court even dos as far back as d nazi's so my question is why cant the world court laid charges of genocide or wot have u on my DEAR IKEMBA NNEWI maybe some will say is neva to late for him to b charged but the simple truth is dat both UN AMERICA and other so called world power know wot some of us d lead in 9ja dont know wen i was 15 i ask my granny about d BIAFRAN WAR she just look @ me and said nwam meanin my son i will tell u everytin wen your mind is matured four years later i ask again and she told me everytin becos she was some how involved from dat day up untill now i am still battlin with myself to block dos shocking revelation my now late granny told me MAY HER GENTLE MOST LOVING SOUL REST IN PERFECT PEACE AMEN  cry cry cry cry
At this stage I had to stop reading as LWKMD grin grin grin
Talk about arrant self delusion grin grin grin
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by RichyBlacK(m): 5:56am On Feb 19, 2010
Well, it is clear that there are a few Yorubas who get a shot of epinephrine whenever they think of the losses of Ndi-Igbo during the Biafran War. Though the Nigerian side did everything in their power to subdue Biafra, the losses were not one-sided. Various estimates regarding the total loss of life abound, however, one source puts the Biafran loss at one million and the Nigerian loss at 200,000. At least most historians agree that most of Biafra's losses were civilians while most of Nigeria's losses were military personnel. The Biafrans did not just stand by and wait to be killed, they did a lot of killings too; 200,000 largely military personnel is certainly not insignificant.

Though some Yorubas rejoice at the death of many Igbos, there are still many that are appalled by the shameless tactics employed by their kinsmen, including Obafemi Awolowo and Benjamin Adekunle. Also, this thread has revealed that those Yorubas who are aroused to or.gasm at the thought of dead Biafrans, have a neophytic view of the war; allow me to enumerate chronologically this infantile view:

1. Nigeria was all peaceful and calm, but some Igbos, an aggressive bunch, just wanted to secede and started planning the rise of Biafra.

2. Igbo soldiers exclusively from Biafra executed the first coup in January 1966 and killed all the prominent leaders from the Northern, Western and Mid-Western regions, only.

3. General Ironsi, a Biafran, took over after the coup and awarded medals and gave honors to all the Igbos who planned and executed the coup.

4. To correct this wrong, Northern soldiers executed a coup in July 1966 and killed only Ironsi for awarding medals and honors to the January 1966 coup plotters.

5. Some Biafrans were harassed only in a few cities in the Northern Nigeria, but kini big deal?

6. Then out of the blues Ojukwu declared war on Nigeria! Biafra was going to war against mighty Nigeria.

7. Gowon, being man of peace, invited Ojukwu for talks at Aburi, Ghana.

8. Gowon and everybody pleaded and begged Ojukwu not to go to war, but the stubborn son of a millionaire refused to listen and insisted on going to war with Nigeria.

9. After the meetings in Aburi, the Biafrans wasted no time to invade Ore and eying Lagos.

10. Gowon and the Nigerian military had superior everything - military, personnel, etc., and knew the fight would be unequal and made more pleas to the Biafrans to stop the war and continue peace talks.

11. The Biafrans then started their propaganda and it became clear that Ojukwu declared war against Nigeria so as to grab all the oil in Eastern Nigeria for himself - selfish bas.tard!

12. Then after much pleading and trying to prevent war, Gowon's hands were tied and he had no option but to defend Nigeria from Biafran aggression - those Igbos are just too aggressive!

13. If Ojukwu was not so greedy and those Biafrans not so stubborn as to want to wage war against a country, Nigeria, that did nothing to them.

Check: If you believe the 13-point lie above, then you're knowledge of the Biafran War is zero!
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by EzeUche(m): 6:34am On Feb 19, 2010
These Yorubas sure do have orgasms at the thought of dead Biafrans (Igbos). They probably wished that we should have been annihilated, yet the Igbo continue to thrive and multiply. Every Igbo child born is a slap in the fact to all the people who want my people dead.
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by bawomolo(m): 6:39am On Feb 19, 2010
10 pages of the same old shit you guys argue about everyday?
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by RichyBlacK(m): 8:22am On Feb 19, 2010
bawomolo:

10 pages of the same old poo you guys argue about everyday?

And your point is?
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by Soulstarr(m): 8:52am On Feb 19, 2010
RichyBlacK:

And your point is?

SHUT UP!!!!
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by Nobody: 8:53am On Feb 19, 2010
RichyBlacK:

And your point is?

Soulstarr:

SHUT UP!!!!
shocked
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by ono(m): 9:03am On Feb 19, 2010
Now, my drum of pop corn has been reduced to half its original size. . . . . , I need a break. Will be right back to read more.
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by nnajiofo: 9:58am On Feb 19, 2010
Where is your soures
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by FACE(m): 10:00am On Feb 19, 2010
olafolarin:

What role did the Yoruba's played in the civil war?Obasanjo as the last commander of the Nigerian forces,lead the largest and final attack on the Biafran Army.Thousands of lives were lost .The same OBJ contested for 1999 elections and won with huge votes in all eastern states while he lost in his ward,village,contituency and state.

I think the biafrans cant read within the line.Yorubas love and accommodate everybody.Biafras problem is BIAFRA itself.

So what ? You want to tell easterners who to vote for or what ?

olafolarin:

In 1999 PDP lost in all SW states.OBJ got majority vote in East and North.Because of that ineptitude,Nigeria is today 10 years backwards.

You must be living in a fool's paradise.Awolowo(like  many politicians of his era )did nothing to worsen Biafra's case.
Can you please tell me anything Awolowo did against you fools.

And what did the AD state governors achieve after their victory ? PDP was simply the better and more inclusive party than the AD in 1999 . There is no evidence to suggest that Olu Falae would have been better than Obj if he had won. He lost fair and square.

Nobody owes you any explanation or apology for voting PDP in 1999 by the way.

Onlytruth, OBJ won fair and square in the east. Those that feel agrieved that Olu Falae lost in the east should go jump into a lake.
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by Dereformer(m): 11:50am On Feb 19, 2010
Very soon, the storm will gather, and when it does, it will be total ARMAGEDDON. BIAFRANS SHALL BE FREE.

With plans by the north to eliminate GEJ, we are totally prepared for the HAUSA/FULANI rascals.

NEVER AGAIN WILL BIAFRA LOSS ANY BATTLE. WE ARE PREPARED!
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by Nobody: 11:57am On Feb 19, 2010
Dereformer:

Very soon, the storm will gather, and when it does, it will be total ARMAGEDDON. BIAFRANS SHALL BE FREE.

With plans by the north to eliminate GEJ, we are totally prepared for the HAUSA/FULANI rascals.

NEVER AGAIN WILL BIAFRA LOSS ANY BATTLE. WE ARE PREPARED!
Afam:

I think there is an urgent need to include the Nigerian/Biafran war in our education system because it is sad to note that even the simplest of facts are unknown yet everyone seems to be in a hurry to trade blames and become experts on the civil war.
bawomolo:

10 pages of the same old poo you guys argue about everyday?
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by dollz(f): 12:15pm On Feb 19, 2010
RichyBlacK:

1. Nigeria was all peaceful and calm, but some Igbos, an aggressive bunch, just wanted to secede and started planning the rise of Biafra.

2. Igbo soldiers exclusively from Biafra executed the first coup in January 1966 and killed all the prominent leaders from the Northern, Western and Mid-Western regions, only.

3. General Ironsi, a Biafran, took over after the coup and awarded medals and gave honors to all the Igbos who planned and executed the coup.

4. To correct this wrong, Northern soldiers executed a coup in July 1966 and killed only Ironsi for awarding medals and honors to the January 1966 coup plotters.

5. Some Biafrans were harassed only in a few cities in the Northern Nigeria, but kini big deal?

6. Then out of the blues Ojukwu declared war on Nigeria! Biafra was going to war against mighty Nigeria.

7. Gowon, being man of peace, invited Ojukwu for talks at Aburi, Ghana.

8. Gowon and everybody pleaded and begged Ojukwu not to go to war, but the stubborn son of a millionaire refused to listen and insisted on going to war with Nigeria.

9. After the meetings in Aburi, the Biafrans wasted no time to invade Ore and eying Lagos.

10. Gowon and the Nigerian military had superior everything - military, personnel, etc., and knew the fight would be unequal and made more pleas to the Biafrans to stop the war and continue peace talks.

11. The Biafrans then started their propaganda and it became clear that Ojukwu declared war against Nigeria so as to grab all the oil in Eastern Nigeria for himself - selfish bas.tard!

12. Then after much pleading and trying to prevent war, Gowon's hands were tied and he had no option but to defend Nigeria from Biafran aggression - those Igbos are just too aggressive!

13. If Ojukwu was not so greedy and those Biafrans not so stubborn as to want to wage war against a country, Nigeria, that did nothing to them.

This is the plain truth. The Biafra war was a worthless war that was very avoidable. Sh!t happens a lot of times but division was certainly not the best answer. And yeah Ojukwu was a power-drunk coward then who's shallow decisions caused his people more than 2 million lives
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by supereagle(m): 12:47pm On Feb 19, 2010
Uwazirike is leading them astray again, fools do not learn from the mistake of the past.
NDI IGBO has no origin, they only claimed to be lost tribes of Jews a Prof debunked that in Ahiajoku lecture.
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by labicas(m): 12:53pm On Feb 19, 2010
NEVER AGAIN! U GUYZ CAN KIP ARGUING, I DON'T CARE WHAT NE1 THINKS OF THE IBOS,

COS I KNOW IF ANY OTHER STATE IS TREATED THE WAY WE ARE BEING TREATED, NON OF EM WOULD LAST A DECADE.

BUT WE STILL THE BEST IN EVERYTHING, MENTION, ANYTHING U CAN THINK OF. REMOVE ALL THE ACHIEVEMENTS OF THE IBOS FROM NIGERIA AND THE WORLD AS A WHOLE ND C D DISPARITY THERE IN!

NOTE: NEVER AGAIN.
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by labicas(m): 12:59pm On Feb 19, 2010
@ super chiken: what school did u attend, night one, part time adult education, which1? nama!
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by RichyBlacK(m): 1:21pm On Feb 19, 2010
dollz:

This is the plain truth. The Biafra war was a worthless war that was very avoidable. droppings happens a lot of times but division was certainly not the best answer. And yeah Ojukwu was a power-drunk coward then who's shallow decisions caused his people more than 2 million lives

dollz,

That is far from the truth, that is the lie bouncing within the cranium of so many Nigerians.

Read my post in its entirety, don't just copy and paste a part of it.
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by RichyBlacK(m): 1:22pm On Feb 19, 2010
Soulstarr:

SHUT UP!!!!

Don't just get a heart attack shouting like that.
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by beneli(m): 1:56pm On Feb 19, 2010
This should be in the 'Tribalism' section and should never have made front page.

The Nigerians that I know are not as hatefilled, ignorant and Bigoted, as has been demonstrated by most of the drivel, filling these 10+ pages. Continuing to leave this topic here (if it won't be locked) is both mischevious and disgraceful. Allowing it to flow has nothing to do with encouraging freedom of expressing ones 'political' views even if they are based on ethnocentric sentiments-it rather insinuates a deficiency of wisdom on the part of whoever has allowed it to continue!

Moderator, you should be Ashamed of yourself!
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by nduchucks: 2:11pm On Feb 19, 2010
Na wa for wayas.

(a)The South will never secede and form a new country as proposed by several people particularly those from the ND.  There will be no help or cooperation forthcoming from ndiigbo to promote that cause.

(b)Ndiigbo will never team up with  Niger Delta people to fight the rest of Nigeria under any condition. There is too much bad belle between these 2 groups.

(c)It will take at least 1 more generation before Ndiigbo and Yorubas begin to fully trust each other again.

(d)The rest of Nigeria needs Arewa to provide survival balance; with Arewa out of the picture, I submit that you people go kill all of una selves finish. awon olodo cheesy

God Bless ONE NIGERIA.
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by Nobody: 2:57pm On Feb 19, 2010
ndu_chucks:

Na wa for wayas.

(a)The South will never secede and form a new country as proposed by several people particularly those from the ND.  There will be no help or cooperation forthcoming from ndiigbo to promote that cause.

(b)Ndiigbo will never team up with  Niger Delta people to fight the rest of Nigeria under any condition. There is too much bad belle between these 2 groups.

(c)It will take at least 1 more generation before Ndiigbo and Yorubas begin to fully trust each other again.

(d)The rest of Nigeria needs Arewa to provide survival balance; with Arewa out of the picture, I submit that you people go kill all of una selves finish. awon olodo cheesy

God Bless ONE NIGERIA.   

ain't that the truth - the need of a common enemy cheesy
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by Dede1(m): 3:16pm On Feb 19, 2010
@ndu_chucks

Please inform us within the annals of military conflicts where blockade had decided the outcome of a war? Ojukwu needed not to surrender simply because the Nigerian side had to itself the few frigates and MIGs.

This is another juncture where I had blamed both Ojukwu, Ironsi and all Igbo officers in Nigerian armed forces for not engaging in equitable military hardware distribution or installation among the regions when they had opportunity. The doctrine of north-south divide of Nigeria was idiotic because it left most of the armored vehicles, fighting aircrafts and ships either in Kaduna or Lagos. They should have realized that both Kaduna and Lagos had no good intensions for the eastern Nigerians.
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by nduchucks: 3:59pm On Feb 19, 2010
Dede1:

@ndu_chucks
This is another juncture where I had blamed both Ojukwu, Ironsi and all Igbo officers in Nigerian armed forces for not engaging in equitable military hardware distribution or installation among the regions when they had opportunity. The doctrine of north-south divide of Nigeria was idiotic because it left most of the armored vehicles, fighting aircrafts and ships either in Kaduna or Lagos. They should have realized that both Kaduna and Lagos had no good intensions for the eastern Nigerians.

The bolded part is a very major factor which contributed to Biafra's loss of the war. I have to admit that given the determination of Biafran troops, their bravery and engineering prowess, and their will to defend their people, it would have taken much longer to have defeated Biafra had millitary hardware been distributed equitably among the regions. Ironsi and other Igbo officers underestimated the wisdom of the Northern leaders in this matter.

Dede1:

@ndu_chucks

Please inform us within the annals of military conflicts where blockade had decided the outcome of a war? Ojukwu needed not to surrender simply because the Nigerian side had to itself the few frigates and MIGs.

Blockade is usually a tool to pressure the enemy into submission or to make the enemy more vulnerable to defeat in battles. If an enemy region is blockaded and the flow of weaponry is reduced, that will weaken their position and make their defeat easier. Blockade alone does not typically decide the outcome of wars. My own blame for Ojukwu and his commanders is that, they continued to fight when women and children were dying of starvation by the hundreds of thousands! That to me was a big blunder.

Having said that, I will state here that the man Ojukwu is a brave man. To say that he is not revered by the Igbos will be a gross understatement. This man remains one of the most influencial men in Igboland and I personally admire his commitment to his people.
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by okooyinbo(m): 4:12pm On Feb 19, 2010
@Dede1:

Ofcourse blockade has always proved effective in ending wars. I do not need to give examples because it is countles. The Romans, the Persians, the Greeks, the old Egyptians, the Ottoman Turks, the Europeans and Americans and even some precolonial Africans kingdom and States have won countless WARs using the blockade tactics. You got to read books on war strategies and tactics.

If it is a legitimate weapon is arguably another thing. However, it has been employed succesfully for centuries.

@Post:

War is not a good thing, but one must rise to defend oneself if threatened.

To those that think that YORUBAs are the true enemy, please answer these: The reason Ojukwu declared the war among other "things" was the killing of the Igbos right; where did that take place? Were Igbos targeted and massacred during operation "weti e"?
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by Dede1(m): 4:41pm On Feb 19, 2010
ndu_chucks:

The bolded part is a very major factor which contributed to Biafra's loss of the war. I have to admit that given the determination of Biafran troops, their bravery and engineering prowess, and their will to defend their people, it would have taken much longer to have defeated Biafra had millitary hardware been distributed equitably among the regions. Ironsi and other Igbo officers underestimated the wisdom of the Northern leaders in this matter.

Blockade is usually a tool to pressure the enemy into submission or to make the enemy more vulnerable to defeat in battles. If an enemy region is blockaded and the flow of weaponry is reduced, that will weaken their position and make their defeat easier. Blockade alone does not typically decide the outcome of wars. My own blame for Ojukwu and his commanders is that, they continued to fight when women and children were dying of starvation by the hundreds of thousands! That to me was a big blunder.

Having said that, I will state here that the man Ojukwu is a brave man. To say that he is not revered by the Igbos will be a gross understatement. This man remains one of the most influencial men in Igboland and I personally admire his commitment to his people.

I had thought too that mere blockade does not and have never decided the outcome of a war. But I had to admit that it is one of the strategic tools of the war. Does it matter when both sides still think that the war was winnable regardless of strategy?

I would be first to tell you that Ojukwu committed unpardonable blunders during the civil war but not surrendering is certainly not one of them.  However, it would have been a wonderful sight to behold in Nigeria/Biafra war if blockade had not been invented.

In addition, I knew it was disingenuous on your part to continue to harp on Ojukwu’s refusal to surrender just because a blockade was thrown at Biafra. Initially, the war was winnable for both sides but the help that went to Nigeria’s way in the form of Britain, USSR and USA tilted the balance of the war to Nigeria.
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by Dede1(m): 5:04pm On Feb 19, 2010
okooyinbo:

@Dede1:

Ofcourse blockade has always proved effective in ending wars. I do not need to give examples because it is countles. The Romans, the Persians, the Greeks, the old Egyptians, the Ottoman Turks, the Europeans and Americans and even some precolonial Africans kingdom and States have won countless WARs using the blockade tactics. You got to read books on war strategies and tactics.

If it is a legitimate weapon is arguably another thing. However, it has been employed succesfully for centuries.

@Post:

War is not a good thing, but one must rise to defend oneself if threatened.

To those that think that YORUBAs are the true enemy, please answer these: The reason Ojukwu declared the war among other "things" was the killing of the Igbos right; where did that take place? Were Igbos targeted and massacred during operation "weti e"?

There should be no argument about blockade being a legitimate weapon of the war. The issue in discourse is that since it is a strategic tool of the war and rightfully applied by the Nigerian side should not compel Ojukwu to surrender. Why is there no argument that Ojukwu should have simply surrendered at the sight of NNS Lokoja in the waters of Bight of Biafra?

For clarity sake, I must submit that Ojukwu never declared war on Nigeria. Anybody that fought against Biafra should be looked upon as indelible enemy of Biafrans. Yoruba as an ethnic nationality fought against Biafrans. The sons of Yoruba have flaunted pride and joy for being part of the enemy forces that fought and defeated Biafra. Few of them were worthy adversaries such as Alain Akirinenade, Alabi-Isama, Francies Shande and Olu Bajuwa
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by nduchucks: 5:30pm On Feb 19, 2010
Dede1:

I had thought too that mere blockade does not and have never decided the outcome of a war. But I had to admit that it is one of the strategic tools of the war. Does it matter when both sides still think that the war was winnable regardless of strategy?

I would be first to tell you that Ojukwu committed unpardonable blunders during war but not surrendering is certainly not one of them. However, it would have been a wonderful sight to behold in Nigeria/Biafra war if blockade had not been invented.

Dede1:

There should be no argument about blockade be a legitimate weapon of the war. The issue in discourse is that since it is a strategic tool of the war and rightfully applied by the Nigerian side should not compel Ojukwu to surrender. Why is no argument that Ojukwu should have simply surrendered at the sight of NNS Lokoja in the waters of Bight of Biafra?

Dede1, you've made great points as usual. 

I must point out that you've again missed the point of my disagreement with the timing of Biafra's surrender. Let's assume that the war was winnable by either side after Nigeria received full support from Britain, USSR and USA.  Now, we know that Biafra lost a total of 200,000 to 300,000 soldiers to the war and to the credit of Biafran troops, the federal troops lost close to the same number of soldiers. 

Now, after the blockade, women and children were dying of starvation by the hundreds of thousands, and the Igbos have reported that the total number of these women and children is between 1million and 2 million. Ojukwu should have surrendered once  he realized that people were dying at such a high rate - that should have been the compassionate thing to do. 

No one is saying that the surrender should have come simply because of the blockade -  what I'm saying is that, the effect of the blockade (hundreds of thousands of dead Igbo women and children), should have been enough to cause an immediate surrender. Why wait for 1.5million women and children to die before surrendering? Ojukwu and his commanders knew that these people were dying at alarming rates! Was cheap publicity and propagander or sympathy from the rest of the world worth the lives of 1.5million chilren? I think not.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply)

Abdullateef Raji Is Dead (Fashola's Former Aide) / Why The APC Is Failing In Kwara / 82.9 Million Nigerians Living In Poverty - NBS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.