Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,223 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:51 AM

The Essential Doctrines For All Christians To Believe - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Essential Doctrines For All Christians To Believe (15551 Views)

What Are The Essential Doctrines Of Christianity? / Imam Of Peace Warns Christians To Wakeup, Else Radical Muslim Will Consume Them / Pastor Kumuyi: I Will Remove Some Doctrines Of Deeper Life (Throwback Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Essential Doctrines For All Christians To Believe by iliyande(m): 8:19am On Aug 20, 2017
Is it okay to have differences in our biblical understanding? What essential truths should every Christian believe in?

Non-Essential Doctrines

Some things are not worth dying on the hill for; such things as the rapture, the millennium, the Great Tribulation, the gift of tongues, and a host of other various beliefs that are enveloped within the category of non-essentials. A person can go to heaven and not believe in the rapture. Others can believe in speaking in tongues while others don’t, and they’re both going to heaven. It’s not that Christians should divide over things in the Bible, but we all come with baggage about what we believe and why we believe it. The non-essentials should never be grounds for debate or arguments. Differing beliefs is not supposed to be a battle ground but a place where we seek common ground. We agree on the essentials (John 4:16; Act 4:12; Rom 10:9-13) but can agree to disagree on those things not essential to our salvation. The point is, we can disagree while not being disagreeable.

Jesus’ Sinless-ness

There are some things that all Christians should believe in. For example, Jesus’ sinless-ness is something we don’t compromise with as Christians. He is and has always been without sin, because as God, God cannot sin and it is contrary to His nature, unlike ours (Prov 4:17). The Apostle Paul declares that “For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God" (2nd Cor 5:21). Our righteousness is supplied by Christ’s very own righteousness, so if Jesus isn’t righteous or without sin, we’re still dead in our sins, but of course, we know Jesus never once sinned. The Apostle Peter writes that we were redeemed “with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot" (1st Pet 19), so “as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, ‘You shall be holy, for I am holy’" (1st Pet 1:15-16). God is holy, Jesus is God, therefore Jesus is Holy and without sin. You do not have the gospel without a Spotless Lamb!

Jesus’ Divinity

If you read the Gospel of John, you can read the seven “I Am’s," and in each one, Jesus points them back to the wilderness, and their utter dependence upon God for life, and in this way, Jesus shows that we absolutely dependent upon trusting in Christ. You cannot have eternal life without believing in Him (John 3:18, 36), but you must believe that Jesus is also God. The Jews wanted to stone Him because He made Himself one with God, which He is (John 8:59), saying, “Jesus said to them, ‘Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am’" (John 8:58), but Jesus was exactly right…He was equal with God and was God. Some cults who claim to “believe in Jesus," believe in a Jesus that doesn’t exist; in a created Jesus. That’s not possible because Jesus was with God and was God in the very beginning (John 1:1-2). Unless a sinless God-Man is given for us and our sins, we don’t have a Savior. We will die in our sins. Jesus once said, “Which one of you convicts me of sin? If I tell the truth, why do you not believe me" (John 8:46)? I noticed that no one spoke up to accuse Him, and even Pilate declared “I find no fault in the man" (Luke 23:4).

No Works, Just Christ

Some religious groups teach that we are to observe a certain day of the week, others say we should observe some of the holy days of ancient Israel. Still others say we should tithe 10%, but it is far too easy to start adding to the finished work of Christ. It’s like Sabbath + Christ = Eternal Life, but the truth is, Christ + Works = Nothing! There is only one way we are saved and that is by grace, and it’s a gift of God and cannot be earned by a million lifetimes of works. It is Christ + Nothing = Eternal Life. Ephesians 2:8-9 declare, “For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." Anything added to the gospel or the way salvation is attained renders it works. Jesus redeemed us from the curse of the law (Gal 3:13), so why would we ever want to go back to that? “The law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith. But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian" (Gal 3:24-25). We trust in Christ’s work at Calvary, not our own works which are no better than filthy rags (Isaiah 64:6). Jesus said it is finished or paid in full (John 19:30), so we have no business tampering with it. Even though we’re not saved by works, a salvation without works is a dead-on-arrival faith (James 2:14-26). We’re not saved by works but for works that God has prepared for us to do (Eph 2:10).

Heaven and Hell

Jesus actually spoke twice as much about hell as He ever did heaven. Why? Because He desired that no one would go there. I’m mystified by the fact that only 74 % of evangelical Christians believe in heaven while 59% of Americans believe in a literal hell. [1] Part of that is the fault of the pulpit. Fewer pastors want to step on anyone’s toes and mention hell. You can’t market the church very well by preaching and teaching on the reality of hell. Jesus is a softer sell to the public. My question to the 26% of Christians who don’t believe in heaven is why not?

Jesus is the Only Way

Finally, and perhaps the hardest to accept in this society, is the exclusivity of Jesus Christ as being the one and only way to be saved. The Apostle Peter said, “there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved" (Acts 4:12). Jesus declared, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me" (John 14:6), and no one means none can come to the Father, but only through Jesus Christ. Period! He isn’t one of many ways or one of a few ways, but the one and only way for everyone. Jesus said, “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day" (John 6:44). We’re back to that “no one" statement again. No one can possibly go to the Father unless A happens; The Father draws them, and B; they come to, and then through Christ.

Conclusion

If you cannot agree with Jesus’ sinless-ness, His divinity as being God, as that it’s in Christ alone we’re saved, and that Jesus is the one and only way to enter the kingdom, and there is no other way given to us to be saved than by God granting us repentance and then trusting in Christ. The next time someone asks you, “What must I do to be saved?" you can answer like Paul did: ‘Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household’" (Acts 16:30-31).

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Essential Doctrines For All Christians To Believe by DeSepiero(m): 8:26am On Aug 20, 2017
I'm wondering, 'is there any verse of the new testament which quotes Jesus directly referring to himself as God?'

3 Likes

Re: The Essential Doctrines For All Christians To Believe by hopefulLandlord: 8:39am On Aug 20, 2017
OP, is "Evil" a sin?
Re: The Essential Doctrines For All Christians To Believe by orisa37: 9:12am On Aug 20, 2017
The ESSENCE of The Bible, Genesis to Revelation, is "CARE"!!!
Re: The Essential Doctrines For All Christians To Believe by tosinjay(m): 9:15am On Aug 20, 2017
Not saved by works but saved for works.. Work not done as though our salvation depends on it but by partaking in the things of d kingdom. Thought you were outrightly nullifying work. Been a while

2 Likes

Re: The Essential Doctrines For All Christians To Believe by iliyande(m): 9:39am On Aug 20, 2017
Re: The Essential Doctrines For All Christians To Believe by orisa37: 9:49am On Aug 20, 2017
Jesus is CARE(LOVE) from Above.
And He commanded us to CARE FOR OURSELVES LIKE OURSELVES.
If only you understand CARE and OURSELVES in Biblical ramifications, then there should be no confusion about The Full Divine Autonomy of Jesus Christ!!!
Christianity is plain, simple and unambiquous as enunciated by The Gospels, The Epistles and The Revelation.
So please ADD no confusion, and do not SUBTRACT vitality, from The Works of 21 Centuries ago.
Re: The Essential Doctrines For All Christians To Believe by iliyande(m): 9:51am On Aug 20, 2017
tosinjay:
Not saved by works but saved for works.. Work not done as though our salvation depends on it but by partaking in the things of d kingdom. Thought you were outrightly nullifying work. Been a while

We’re not saved by works but for works that God has prepared for us to do

God is faithful bro wink

1 Like

Re: The Essential Doctrines For All Christians To Believe by amoduganja: 10:56am On Aug 20, 2017
d
Re: The Essential Doctrines For All Christians To Believe by Nobody: 10:57am On Aug 20, 2017
grin
Re: The Essential Doctrines For All Christians To Believe by Alexbrain(m): 11:01am On Aug 20, 2017
Discovering your talents and building up your skills with be a very productive way to tackle unemployment and become an entrepreneur.
Check out this free online book that will help you with that
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/657738
http://okadabooks.com/book/about/talent__the_bomb/12751#
Re: The Essential Doctrines For All Christians To Believe by hopefulLandlord: 11:01am On Aug 20, 2017
karominna:
sad

I asked OP the question, Answer it if you can rather than being sad at yourself because of a question someone else asked

1 Like

Re: The Essential Doctrines For All Christians To Believe by Nobody: 11:04am On Aug 20, 2017
The most confused religion is xtianity

1 Like

Re: The Essential Doctrines For All Christians To Believe by dapyd1(m): 11:08am On Aug 20, 2017
Doctrines have been the bane of Christianity over the years.

The reason why a celestial member will not marry a redeem member is doctrine. The reason why a Christ embassy member will not relate with a deeper life member is doctrine.

We have abandoned the message of love, of Christ, of unity and have carried on our heads doctrine of pastors and denomination love.

This has made Christianity a laughing stock, why conversion is low and the main reason the church does not have influence in world affairs as it should.

7 Likes

Re: The Essential Doctrines For All Christians To Believe by MuttleyLaff: 11:14am On Aug 20, 2017
DeSepiero:
I'm wondering, 'is there any verse of the new testament which quotes Jesus directly referring to himself as God?'
There is no biblical NT record of Jesus directly referring to Himself as God, but there are abundant biblical NT records where Jesus indirectly referred to Himself as God.
At one occasion in the New Testament, some present Jews understood Him referring Himself to God and wanted to kill for that, by stoning Him.
Re: The Essential Doctrines For All Christians To Believe by naijahut: 11:23am On Aug 20, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
There is no biblical NT record of Jesus directly referring to Himself as God, but there are abundant biblical NT records where Jesus indirectly referred to Himself as God.
At one occasion in the New Testament, some present Jews understood Him referring Himself to God and wanted to kill for that, by stoning Him.
shut up small god and big God are not the same.
Re: The Essential Doctrines For All Christians To Believe by MuttleyLaff: 11:32am On Aug 20, 2017
naijahut:
shut up small god and big God are not the same.
Without hold back, why don't you, extensively, define the nouns; god and God
Without leaving any stone unturned, gives all examples, to the best of your understanding what god is and what God is.
Re: The Essential Doctrines For All Christians To Believe by samuelsontech(m): 11:35am On Aug 20, 2017
DeSepiero:

Bro, there is no scripture as such as that, and the reason is because Jesus is the son of God and not God. He (Jesus) is the Son whom the Father have vested all the power in heaven and on earth. John 17:2

Here in the scripture below, the voice of the father spoke in affirmation of the Father/Son relationship to the public confirming his right and authority. Matthew 3:17.

God bless your understanding sir.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Essential Doctrines For All Christians To Believe by walls01: 11:39am On Aug 20, 2017
DeSepiero:

that and many other that men have interpreted without understanding

1 Like

Re: The Essential Doctrines For All Christians To Believe by walls01: 11:44am On Aug 20, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
OP, is "Evil" a sin?

what you view as evil might not be viewed that way by another person. why not tell us what you have in mind when you say evil

1 Like

Re: The Essential Doctrines For All Christians To Believe by walls01: 11:48am On Aug 20, 2017
Sniper12:
The most confused religion is xtianity

Christianity is not the problem but man. have you not noticed how men think differently as faces differ from each other? take yourself for example

1 Like

Re: The Essential Doctrines For All Christians To Believe by Realists(m): 11:54am On Aug 20, 2017
That Christians still worship an Europe Jesus, instead of a jew, still baffle me, and the church still covers the gaffes.

Re: The Essential Doctrines For All Christians To Believe by hopefulLandlord: 11:54am On Aug 20, 2017
walls01:

what you view as evil might not be viewed that way by another person. why not tell us what you have in mind when you say evil

read the OP about "Sinless", see where OP referred to "Evil"
Re: The Essential Doctrines For All Christians To Believe by walls01: 11:55am On Aug 20, 2017
MuttleyLaff:

you misunderstood the Bible. read John 20:17

2 Likes

Re: The Essential Doctrines For All Christians To Believe by walls01: 11:55am On Aug 20, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

read the OP about "Sinless", see where OP referred to "Evil"

OK true
Re: The Essential Doctrines For All Christians To Believe by Realists(m): 11:55am On Aug 20, 2017
The image

Re: The Essential Doctrines For All Christians To Believe by Realists(m): 12:00pm On Aug 20, 2017
Is jesus the supposed son of god not, jealous about the fake image's of him in churches ?.
The Freemasonry has taken over the church and nobody cares.

Re: The Essential Doctrines For All Christians To Believe by MuttleyLaff: 12:03pm On Aug 20, 2017
walls01:
you misunderstood the Bible
What part of the bible have I misunderstood?

walls01:
read John 20:17
What is to read in John 20:17?
Why instead, don't you read John 10:33?
Re: The Essential Doctrines For All Christians To Believe by microsofttutor(m): 12:34pm On Aug 20, 2017
Read A TRUE LETTER OF OUR SAVIOUR JESUS CHRIST: SUMMARY OF THE PASSION OF CHRIST at http://www.knowledgecrave.com/2017/07/a-true-letter-of-our-saviour-jesus-summary-of-his-passion.html
Re: The Essential Doctrines For All Christians To Believe by walls01: 12:37pm On Aug 20, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
What part of the bible have I misunderstood?

What is to read in John 20:17?
Why instead, don't you read John 10:33?

are you kidding me? please read john 10:33-41.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Prophetess Faith Aigbe Set To Storm Ghana / Primate Ayodele Warns Buhari On COVID-19, "Aso Rock Needs Cleansing" / Using Casket For Burial In Islam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.