Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,226 members, 7,839,190 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:53 PM

The Cries Of A Fed Up Lagosian - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Cries Of A Fed Up Lagosian (8916 Views)

Osinbajo Is My Problem -Jonathan Cries Out In Secret Meeting / Who Is A Lagosian? / Obama Lion King Cartoon Causes Cries Of ‘racism’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Cries Of A Fed Up Lagosian by Fhemmmy: 10:07pm On Feb 23, 2010
This is a great writings.
It is so sad to know you pay taxes and yet nothing to show for the money, except some flowers.
Fashola has tried, but he needs to deliver on some stuff
Re: The Cries Of A Fed Up Lagosian by babapupa: 10:16pm On Feb 23, 2010
redsun:

Until the yorubas break off from nigeria,lagos,in as much as it could be termed a mega slum,remains a bonafide city in nigeria and it belongs to nigerian,especially the players that makes the money roll,not for area boys and girls aka the otimkpus.

I personally can't live in a polluted and chaotic city like lagos,but i can have my activities there,whenever and wherever i want and can afford because it is a state in nigeria.

Lagos seized to exist as an evolving city when the oyinbos and the only thing that can bring it back to cause is strict accountabilities and responsibilities on the side of all,especially the leaders.

For starters,

Lagos state is a Yoruba state.

The Language is overwhelmingly Yoruba

The Government is overwhelmingly Yoruba

The language of deliberation at the state house is Yoruba

The cities, streets, towns and villages all have Yoruba names

The Arts, music, culture and traditions is Yoruba

There are Obas in Lagos state, not seriki or sultan, not Igwe or eze

I know it sounds good to say and as a Nigerian, you have every right to call any corner of Nigeria home, just don't forget for a second that Lagos state is a Yoruba state and folks from other state and countries love Lagos state because of the loving people of the great state of Lagos, their communal spirit, sense of togetherness and hospitality.

About what you like or don't like, please spare us the meaningless rant. Gari and epa is not for everybody and Lagos state is no forcing any Nigeria to stay in Lagos state or Love Lagos state. If Lagos state is not doing it for you, there are 36 states in Nigeria, freeking buy a train ticket to next state.

Life is too short my friend, keep your rubbish to yourself and go spend your time worrying about Your home state governors and their huge foreign bank accounts and backward towns and villages,
Re: The Cries Of A Fed Up Lagosian by redsun(m): 10:34pm On Feb 23, 2010
felele:

This bolded quote, more than anything else you have said, shows your ignorance nakedly for the whole world to see. Do you know that the first trunk A road in Nigeria is in Lagos? Do you know that it was built during colonial times No, not by your gods, the oyinbos, but by indigenes of Ikorodu and other Ijebus, after the white man told them point blank to their faces that he was not here to give them infrastructure. I happen to know this because I am a descendant of one of those brave indigenes of Lagos state that put ALL their money on the line to save their people from the hazard of drowning while travelling to Lagos by boat.

Walahi, you have just given more justification to the argument that some Easterners do not really belong in Lagos and do not really have the best interest of Lagos state and indigenes of Lagos State at heart.
[size=20pt]
Truly, if you do not like the obvious work that Governor Fashola is doing with YOUR taxes, please, take your filthy money to your state and go and donate it to your thieving governors who will then proceed to whip your ungratefull backside with a cat-o-nine-tails, aka, Koboko.
[/size]

I really hate to have to educate ignoramuses like you, but if you need further clarification of the fact that Lagos ONLY began to evolve after the exit of the colonialists, I will be glad to oblige. yeyenatu!!!

And don't let the door hit you on the way out. Afori omo!!!

Talking to a backward minded person like you is a waste of my precious time,if in the 21st century world people like you don't know the significance of a clean street,talk less of monumental edifices and structures that makes up rational humans habitations.

Cities are built to glorify man's abilities to organize and live communally as a society in a wider scale with basic amenities and infrastructures intact but not without accountabilities and responsibilities to the people who made it possible with their contributions.If the people are responsible and accountable enough to pay their taxes,the govenrment on her side should be able to give account to the last dime as regards what the money is spent on.

To be a leader is not a privilege to exploit the people as the case of nigeria but a selfless sacrifice to serve,Fashola is not doing something extraordinary,he is doing what he is elected to do and should be bounded by the law of the land
Re: The Cries Of A Fed Up Lagosian by babapupa: 10:45pm On Feb 23, 2010
Fhemmmy:

This is a great writings.
It is so sad to know you pay taxes and yet nothing to show for the money, except some flowers.
Fashola has tried, but he needs to deliver on some stuff

Are these flowers too?

Fashola Commissions Six Major Projects In One Day

http://happylagosian..com/2010/02/lagos-state-is-moving-on-as-gov-fashola.html

Do you call this flower too?

City Hall

http://happylagosian..com/2010/02/lagos-city-hall-is-back.html

Lagos Mass Transit Rail Project Set To Take Off

http://happylagosian..com/2010/01/lagos-mass-transit-rail-project-set-to.html

Fashola Visits Oshodi To Inspect 601 Shop Kaiyero Market Extension.

http://happylagosian..com/2010/01/fashola-visits-oshodi-to-inspect-601.html

Ikoyi Link Bridge.

http://happylagosian..com/2010/01/ikoyi-link-bridge.html

Fashola Inspects Oluwole Urban Mall Project

http://happylagosian..com/2010/01/fashola-inspects-oluwole-urban-mall.html

Lagos gets new Crime-Fighting Bell 412 EP helicopters.

http://happylagosian..com/2009/12/lagos-gets-new-bell-412-ep-helicopters.html

Tejuosho Market Updates:::

http://happylagosian..com/2009/12/tejuosho-market-updates.html

Let me know if you need more.

It's really ok to put forward legitimate argument, it's not ok to peddle bogus, blind and disingenuous argument.
Re: The Cries Of A Fed Up Lagosian by redsun(m): 10:50pm On Feb 23, 2010
babapupa:

For starters,

I know it sounds good to say and as a Nigerian, you have every right to call any corner of Nigeria home, just don't forget for a second that Lagos state is a Yoruba state and folks from other state and countries love Lagos state because of the loving people of the great state of Lagos, their communal spirit, sense of togetherness and hospitality.

About what you like or don't like, please spare us the meaningless rant. Gari and epa is not for everybody and Lagos state is no forcing any Nigeria to stay in Lagos state or Love Lagos state. If Lagos state is not doing it for you, there are 36 states in Nigeria, freeking buy a train ticket to next state.

Life is too short my friend, keep your rubbish to yourself and go spend your time worrying about Your home state governors and their huge foreign bank accounts and backward towns and villages,

You failed to mention lagos was the federal capital of the federal republic of nigeria,ode.I bet the privileges of constant invitations to owanbes as an area boy have shut you off from from reality as always.
Re: The Cries Of A Fed Up Lagosian by babapupa: 10:53pm On Feb 23, 2010
redsun:

Talking to a backward minded person like you is a waste of my precious time,if in the 21st century world people like you don't know the significance of a clean street,talk less of monumental edifices and structures that makes up rational humans habitations.

Cities are built to glorify man's abilities to organize and live communally as a society in a wider scale with basic amenities and infrastructures intact but not without accountabilities and responsibilities to the people who made it possible with their contributions.If the people are responsible and accountable enough to pay their taxes,the govenrment on her side should be able to give account to the last dime as regards what the money is spent on.

To be a leader is not a privilege to exploit the people as the case of nigeria but a selfless sacrifice to serve,Fashola is not doing something extraordinary,he is doing what he is elected to do and should be bounded by the law of the land

Instead of your pointless rants and bungled analogies, why not just state in plain English what you want the Governor to account for if accountability is so much important to you.
Re: The Cries Of A Fed Up Lagosian by redsun(m): 11:03pm On Feb 23, 2010
babapupa:

Instead of your pointless rants and bungled analogies, why not just state in plain English what you want the Governor to account for if accountability is so much important to you.

You are the one ranting if by now you still don't understand what issue is all about.Like i said you are shut off from reality because of the crumbs you eat  that fell off the tables of the kingpins.
Re: The Cries Of A Fed Up Lagosian by babapupa: 11:09pm On Feb 23, 2010
redsun:

You failed to mention lagos was the federal capital of the federal republic of nigeria,ode.I bet the privileges of constant invitations to owanbes as an area boy have shut you off from from reality as always.

This is getting comical.  So, Yoruba people in Lagos stopped being Yoruba people because Lagos state was the federal capital?

I seriously hope you're not the smartest person in your hamlet.
Re: The Cries Of A Fed Up Lagosian by babapupa: 11:15pm On Feb 23, 2010
redsun:

You are the one ranting if by now you still don't understand what issue is all about.Like i said you are shut off from reality because of the crumbs you eat  that fell off the tables of the kingpins.

Are you not the one ranting and carrying on about accountability?

Stating what you want accounted for instead of your useless kiddie rants would have sufficed.
Re: The Cries Of A Fed Up Lagosian by redsun(m): 11:16pm On Feb 23, 2010
Every dog has its day.The time has come that nigerians can no longer be deceived any more,people can only be foolish for a while  and at the appointed time,awareness will take its cause and this is the time.

There are very little rooms for corrupt individuals in nigeria right now.As bad as it may seem,it is the beginning of a new dawn.
Re: The Cries Of A Fed Up Lagosian by youngmonie: 11:26pm On Feb 23, 2010
Wht most people dont understand is dat for a state like Lagos, u cant satisfy everybody, d funds the state government get are far more less than it requires to develop the state, hence funds are only pumped into economic viable areas that can realise more money for the govenrment. The issue of population is anoder issue, people pour in from every angle into Lagos everyday hence. Most people just assume that govenrment gets load nd loads of money, even if all d funds in Nigeria comes to lAGOS, things cannot jus change over nite. So most people jus need to be patient
Re: The Cries Of A Fed Up Lagosian by tayoast(m): 11:30pm On Feb 23, 2010
tax's imposed on CAR RADIOs??
Re: The Cries Of A Fed Up Lagosian by ziga: 11:31pm On Feb 23, 2010
Forpeace is here again!!!!

All your posts seem to be about the same issue.

You have to justify your mega paycheck abi

How long do you have to deliver
Re: The Cries Of A Fed Up Lagosian by babapupa: 11:36pm On Feb 23, 2010
redsun:

Every dog has its day.The time has come that nigerians can no longer be deceived any more,people can only be foolish for a while  and at the appointed time,awareness will take its cause and this is the time.

There are very little rooms for corrupt individuals in nigeria right now.As bad as it may seem,it is the beginning of a new dawn.

I guess you don't have anything to state, all I had to do was ask you to state your case precisely because you obviously don't have any, you are just another petty bandwagoner with nothing but innuendos and misguided bad bele.

I know you don't have anything going for you in your backward firewood village, just spend more time pressuring your local leaders to offer your people a better lifeand stop taking phensic on behalf of Lagosians, Lagosians are always gonna be fine.
Re: The Cries Of A Fed Up Lagosian by babapupa: 11:41pm On Feb 23, 2010
youngmonie:

Wht most people dont understand is dat for a state like Lagos, u cant satisfy everybody, d funds the state government get are far more less than it requires to develop the state, hence funds are only pumped into economic viable areas that can realise more money for the govenrment. The issue of population is anoder issue, people pour in from every angle into Lagos everyday hence. Most people just assume that govenrment gets load nd loads of money, even if all d funds in Nigeria comes to lAGOS, things cannot jus change over nite. So most people jus need to be patient

And the state budget is only 2 billion dollars for crying out loud. 2 billion is peanuts when talking about 18 million people.

Rivers budget with just 5 million people and smaller responsibilities is way bigger than Lagos state, but I don't see these noise makers asking what the Rivers government is doing with all that money.
Re: The Cries Of A Fed Up Lagosian by SkyBlue1: 3:14am On Feb 24, 2010
babapupa:

And the state budget is only 2 billion dollars for crying out loud. 2 billion is peanuts when talking about 18 million people.

Rivers budget with just 5 million people and smaller responsibilities is way bigger than Lagos state, but I don't see these noise makers asking what the Rivers government is doing with all that money.

Your arguments like the one in bold always seem to border on ethnic sentiments. The irony is, on a national scale such reasoning has proved on quite a few ocassions to be destructive to the national polity. How on earth did Rivers State enter the equation? Is the poster living in Rivers State or in Lagos State? Is the poster paying taxes in Rivers or in Lagos State? I just don't get such diversionary arguments sometimes. You can still make your points without threading such lines which have in the past meant nobody could be investigated because people would say the whole world is going after their son. To be honest with you it is a tad disappointing. How are you sure the poster's family is not indegineous to that area hence a Lagos indigene?
Re: The Cries Of A Fed Up Lagosian by babapupa: 3:29am On Feb 24, 2010
Sky Blue:

Your arguments like the one in bold always seem to border on ethnic sentiments. The irony is, on a national scale such reasoning has proved on quite a few ocassions to be destructive to the national polity. How on earth did Rivers State enter the equation? Is the poster living in Rivers State or in Lagos State? Is the poster paying taxes in Rivers or in Lagos State? I just don't get such diversionary arguments sometimes. You can still make your points without threading such lines which have in the past meant nobody could be investigated because their people would say the whole world is going after their son. To be honest with you it is a tad disappointing. How are you sure the poster's family is not indegineous to that area hence a Lagos indigene?

Unfortunately for you, the ethnic nonsense exist only in your mind. Don't you first have to tell us what comparing 2 state's budget got to do with ethnicity? Is Rivers state an ethnicity? Is Rivers state's budget an ethnicity.

Please stick your ethnic paranoia back inside the caveman hole you pulled it out of or go peddle it elsewhere.

Having internet access doesn't give you the right to spew meaningless rubbish. Go to bed if you have nothing better to do with your time.
Re: The Cries Of A Fed Up Lagosian by SkyBlue1: 3:36am On Feb 24, 2010
babapupa:

Unfortunately for you, the ethnic nonsense exist only in your mind. Don't you first have to tell us what comparing 2 state's budget got to do with ethnicity? Is Rivers state an ethnicity? Is Rivers state's budget an ethnicity.

Please stick your ethnic paranoia back inside the caveman hole you pulled it out of or go peddle it elsewhere.

Having internet access doesn't give you the right to spew meaningless rubbish. Go to bed if you have nothing better to do with your time.

Perhaps ethnicity was the wrong word to use, rather "go back to your own part of the country" mentality would have been more apt. The evidence exists in your earlier posts, including the one in which you stated:

I don't get these eastern people for real, it's like anything to seek attention and turn everything into needless Biafra talk

Must every damn thing be about them? The sun doesn't rise and set on their narrow behind for crying out loud.

What was the point of that? What has the poster's question got to do with the budget of Rivers State? You could have just stated that the Lagos State budget isn't big enough to tackle all problems at once etc. I just don't get why on earth you brought in Rivers State when the poster was querying about Lagos, is apparently living in Lagos, and paying taxes to Lagos. Unlike you, I do not trade in insults. The evidence of my objections which you refer to as "paranoia" is there for all to see.
Re: The Cries Of A Fed Up Lagosian by diobi: 3:48am On Feb 24, 2010
Sky Blue:

Perhaps ethnicity was the wrong word to use, rather [b]"go back to your own part of the country" mentality [/b]would have been more apt. The evidence exists in your earlier posts, including the one in which you stated:

What was the point of that? What has the poster's question got to do with the budget of Rivers State? You could have just stated that the Lagos State budget isn't big enough to tackle all problems at once etc. I just don't get why on earth you brought in Rivers State when the poster was querying about Lagos, is apparently living in Lagos, and paying taxes to Lagos. Unlike you, I do not trade in insults. The evidence of my objections which you refer to as "paranoia" is there for all to see.

@Sky Blue

you don't know that animal call babaaa kpaa kpaaa (goat) or is it babapupa. the guy is suffering from chronic Yoruba-ism. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Cries Of A Fed Up Lagosian by SkyBlue1: 3:53am On Feb 24, 2010
babapupa:

For starters,

Another example of the "go back to your (backward) part of the country" mentality. I really just don't get the staunch attack at anything that might be approaching a semblance of criticism.
Re: The Cries Of A Fed Up Lagosian by doyin13(m): 3:55am On Feb 24, 2010
All this talk about ''go back to your state''. . .

How about if the complainant is a lagosian?

You will tell him of her to renounce their ''citizenship'' abi?
Re: The Cries Of A Fed Up Lagosian by babapupa: 4:01am On Feb 24, 2010
Sky Blue:

Perhaps ethnicity was the wrong word to use

Then find something better to engage with instead of peddling ethnic sentiments.

And what's responding to another ethnic bigot got to do with Rivers state budget? You got issues my friend.

I really can not afford to swap posts with you over what obviously is your own personal ethnic paranoia problem.
Re: The Cries Of A Fed Up Lagosian by SkyBlue1: 4:04am On Feb 24, 2010
babapupa:

Then find something better to engage with instead of peddling ethnic sentiments.

And what's responding to another ethnic bigot got to do with Rivers state budget? You got issues my friend.

I really can not afford to swap posts with you over what obviously is your own personal ethnic paranoia problem.

Well, your posts are there for all to see what you call paranoia. I won't indulge you any further. Have a nice day  smiley
Re: The Cries Of A Fed Up Lagosian by babapupa: 4:07am On Feb 24, 2010
Sky Blue:

Have a nice day  smiley

Exactly what you should have said from the beginning instead of peddling your mindless ethnic nonsense.
Re: The Cries Of A Fed Up Lagosian by montelik(m): 7:04am On Feb 24, 2010
doyin13:

All this talk about ''go back to your state''. . .

How about if the complainant is a lagosian?

You will tell him of her to renounce their ''citizenship'' abi?
Yes OH. How can any true born and bred Lagosian dare criticize BRF. Don't they know that criticism of the great BRF is tantamount to treachery and sabotage. Why can't they just pay their taxes (including double/super taxes) and stop complaining. EKO ONI BAJE O. grin
Re: The Cries Of A Fed Up Lagosian by redsun(m): 1:09pm On Feb 24, 2010
The baba alaye is nothing but a conniving sycophant with the mentality far beyond(in reverse) that of the stone age man who was in his own rights was idealistic and futuristic,hence our presence in the world today.

But someone like babapupa has nothing to contribute to the society but backwardness and miseries,he is always out to defend fashola even when an idiot can see some thing is amiss.

If Fahola is that revolutionary in his dealings,why is he  afraid of transparency and independent auditing of spendings?I use to be his fan up till this moment but just because nigerians are not use to responsible government,any one eyed leader can just put in a little and take out alot without the stack blind even noticing because they can't see in the first place.

Lagos is about the only reformed and updated taxing system in nigeria and for the fact that the people are duly paying their taxes,it's their due right to get answers from the government as regards the spending of their money when needed,it is not about ego or victimization but about saying it and doing it as it should.A government without strict checks and balances is no govenrment,that is why nigerian leaders have been getting away with murders so far.But for how long will the blind remain blind?

To whom much is given,much is expected from and to who gives more,more should be given back to.
Re: The Cries Of A Fed Up Lagosian by babapupa: 4:13pm On Feb 24, 2010
redsun:

The baba alaye is nothing but a conniving sycophant with the mentality far beyond(in reverse) that of the stone age man who was in his own rights was idealistic and futuristic,hence our presence in the world today.

But someone like babapupa has nothing to contribute to the society but backwardness and miseries,he is always out to defend fashola even when an idiot can see some thing is amiss.

If Fahola is that revolutionary in his dealings,why is he  afraid of transparency and independent auditing of spendings?I use to be his fan up till this moment but just because nigerians are not use to responsible government,any one eyed leader can just put in a little and take out alot without the stack blind even noticing because they can't see in the first place.

Lagos is about the only reformed and updated taxing system in nigeria and for the fact that the people are duly paying their taxes,it's their due right to get answers from the government as regards the spending of their money when needed,it is not about ego or victimization but about saying it and doing it as it should.A government without strict checks and balances is no govenrment,that is why nigerian leaders have been getting away with murders so far.But for how long will the blind remain blind?

To whom much is given,much is expected from and to who gives more,more should be given back to.

Stating what you want the state government to account for like I asked would have sufficed instead of recycling the same weak and irrelevant nonsense.

You don't have to call people names to make your point if you truly believe in your argument, your childish name calling only exposes your shortcomings and lack of any form of ability to engage civilly and function in public like an adult with manners and good home training.

I'm sure your mama didn't teach to be rude in public and call people names, @ least I hope.
Re: The Cries Of A Fed Up Lagosian by Fhemmmy: 4:18pm On Feb 24, 2010
Babapupa, i never said, he is not trying, however, there is a need for security and how come no one knows the cost so far for all these things.
IS there any information anywhere that talks about how much is coming in and how is being spend and how much they have left?
There is a need for a book to be open and let the people know what is happening to their money, cos the money belongs to the people and he is just an administrator of the money.
However, like i said, he has tried and he needs to do more on other things.
It is obvious that the FG will do nothing about electricity, so i thnk it is time the states start doing something about it, else, we will be left behind and nothing will happen.
great that all those things are being constructed but what is the maintenance plan or strategy?
Re: The Cries Of A Fed Up Lagosian by babapupa: 4:57pm On Feb 24, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Babapupa, i never said, he is not trying, however, there is a need for security and how come no one knows the cost so far for all these things.
IS there any information anywhere that talks about how much is coming in and how is being spend and how much they have left?
There is a need for a book to be open and let the people know what is happening to their money, cos the money belongs to the people and he is just an administrator of the money.
It is obvious that the FG will do nothing about electricity, so i thnk it is time the states start doing something about it, else, we will be left behind and nothing will happen.
great that all those things are being constructed but what is the maintenance plan or strategy?

I truly get your point.

Like I said, it's perfectly OK to demand accountability and even criticize any government including Fashola, but insinuating that all Fashola is doing is planting flowers sounds not only off bases it sounds uninformed and disingenuous. What he's doing with tax payers money is on his website and well documented on sites like Happy Lagosian. You sound like a fair minded and reasonable person, but that flower comment threw me off like are you for real or it was a joke.

About accountability, there's nothing wrong with the public demanding such, we just really have to be careful what we wish for.

We are not gullible people, I though we all have enough common sense to easily translate what is going on here. We have allegations by some group claiming the Governor overspend on projects and he mismanaged state funds so he needs to be investigated.

The question now is, is this all it takes to investigate a governor, is this all you need to distract and grind down the wheels of government, just throw anything out there with zero credible documented evidence or paper trail? Did the state legistlators presented to the people of Lagos state what evidence of wrong doing  by their Governor? Of course not. It simply means 18 million Lagosians are free to to levy anything against any arm of the government and have them investigated and they have zero burden to provide anything to back up their allegations.

We are obviously trying to have it both ways, we want to live like civilized people but we are not willing to act civilized and do what they do in civilized societies. They don't go around accusing people in civilized nations without credible proof of wrong doing, people get sued and fined for such. People get away with it in Nigeria because we have low standards and ignorant and unenlightened public.

My stance is, go ahead and investigate Fashola, we as Lagosians just need to see what credible evidence the group and legislators have to further their case against the governor. This is what they do in sane and civilized countries, unfortunately in a banana republic like ours, we do things the crude and opposite way. We have no set standard for anything, we can accuse anything under the sun for anything and rubbish their name with impunity and without any repercussions. Is this fair to the governor and you yourself.

Till this very second, all we have is nothing insinuations camouflaged as real allegations, but the man's name is already in the mud, the crooked legislators didn't even ask the people making the allegations to produce any proof for them to take to the people of Lagos state and evidence of wrong doing by their governor.

My question to you is, is this how they do things in sane and credible societies?
Re: The Cries Of A Fed Up Lagosian by naijatoday: 5:18pm On Feb 24, 2010
Fhemmmy:

What do you want the states to do about electricity? The "foolish" constitution clearly states if a state produces electricity it should be added to the National Grind. States doing something is a waste of money. Lagos state has tried it before and it but the state in debt it is currently still paying back. On top of that the federal government redrew money from the state's FG allocation to maintain the plant (Lagos state took the FG because of this and the case is till in court)

People talk about the tax Lagos state is collecting but people forget with all the money it is making, part of is used to service debt. Pay pensioners that the money state has being owing them since Military rule (which is actually something good Fashola has been doing, he has been paying back all the pensions Lagos state has been owing to retired teachers, retired civil servants, etc). At the end of the day that is the money we expect the government to fix all Lagos roads, fix all drainage, provide free education (including textbooks) to all students (a good percentage of which their parents cannot afford to pay taxes), pay teacher (including a recent TSS increase that was implemented in January), pay civil servants, etc. Continue to pay Bursary to Lagos Youths (I do not understand that one either). And lets not talk about how much corruption.

At the end of the day, for a state like Lagos due to the size of population it is making chicken change, that does not amount to much.
Re: The Cries Of A Fed Up Lagosian by babapupa: 5:59pm On Feb 24, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Now, the population of Lagos state is 18 million and the budget is 2 billion dollars. In your honest opinion and considering the fact that other already developed cities around the world with same amount or even less population, how much do you think they spend a year? These cities spends tens and hundreds of billion dollars a year maintaining already developed infrastructures while Lagos with 18 million people is basically starting from scratch with pea nuts.

I'm sure Fashola would love to perform miracle and transform Lagos state overnight, but some of us a reasonable and rational people and we know it's absolutely impossible, the money is not there to effect such, these things cost money.

After the federal government, Lagos state is the highest employer with almost 120, 000 state workers and they still have to build express ways, roads and bridges, drainage and canals, spend on education, transportation, health, environment, the courts and tons of other state parastatals and still maintain existing infrastructures and build new ones, All with just 2 billion dollars a year.

And if there's any area you feel the state have yet to touch, let me know and I guarantee with you that he already has with what ever he has, just name it and I'll provide evidence that he has, not saying everything is taken care of, just saying he's done something with his limited budget.

We get into the power thing all the time, we all know the reason why there's no stable electricity, I hope we're not trying to rope that around Fashola's neck also. The guy is not a magician, miracle worker or a superman. We demand so much from Lagos with so little, but we demand less from abuja with so much. The guy is the governor of Lagos state, not the president of Nigeria.

Understandably, we scrutinize the state because it's the only picture of good governance and probably the only good thing the country has going for it. We all have some kind of stake because people in other states are looking at Lagos and pressuring their leaders to emulate Lagos state, governors from other states are sending their people to Lagos state to see and copy their model and ways of doing things, other African countries are sending people over too. If people and countries all over the world are recognizing the good work this man is doing and giving him awards for it, what's stopping us from pausing for a moment, look around us and do same.

We really need to move away from the criticize when they do and also criticize when they do mentality, there's got to be some kind of honest, fair and reasonable middle ground somewhere, not just slash and burn all the time.
Re: The Cries Of A Fed Up Lagosian by Fhemmmy: 6:38pm On Feb 24, 2010
These are some of the reasons why i said, there is a need to fight for decentralization of power.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

A New Vista Of War As Eleme Battle Ogoni / Another Fuel Hike ‘ll Collapse Your Govt, NLC Warns Jonathan. / TCN Reconnects Aba Power Electric, Kaduna & Kano DISCOs, Gives 60-Days Grace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.