Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,091 members, 7,814,799 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:05 PM

Why Pray - ”Let Thy Will Be Done”? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Pray - ”Let Thy Will Be Done”? (8252 Views)

Why Pray? / Love Thy “gay” Neighbor / Remember Now Thy Creator In The Days Of Thy Youth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Pray - ”Let Thy Will Be Done”? by Joagbaje(m): 10:42am On Mar 10, 2010
viaro:

I just cannot imagine the ::[bleep]:: behind such statements! undecided
Maybe God is bound may not sound appropriate , it was not used to suggest God as being bound as in bondage. maybe I should rather " God abides "by the rules of justice he set on the earth
Re: Why Pray - ”Let Thy Will Be Done”? by viaro: 11:31am On Mar 10, 2010
Joagbaje:

Maybe God is bound may not sound appropriate , it was not used to suggest God as being bound as in bondage. maybe I should rather " God abides "by the rules of justice he set on the earth

No worries, for however 'appropriately' you may have tried to express it, your ideas are still skewed and do not point to God's Word.

This is what you had stated:
Joagbaje:

But the Issue is ,God is a just God, and there are laws he has set in the universe. He himself is bound by those laws and has to submit his omnipotence to the rules he has set.

First, what are the "laws" God has set in the 'universe' that would necessitate His submitting His omnipotence to the rules He has set?

I do not want to confuse between 'laws of the universe' in either - (a) the scientific sense, or (b) the [url=http://members.optusnet.com.au/~acceptance/UnderstandingSpirituality/Spirituality%20Files/LawsoftheUniverse.htm]religio-spirituality sense[/url]. However, in whatever sense you might have meant it, what are those 'laws' of the universe that are so baronial as that God would have to "submit His omnipotence" to them?

Now, if by 'laws of the universe' you now narrow them down to 'the rules of justice he set on the earth', how do you reconcile both statements? Does God actually "submit" His omnipotence to rules He set on earth? Is the earth now the same as the 'universe' that your reductionism has to bring God's omnipotence over all things down to what you want to argue on earth?

You see, it is now clear with each passing day that the WOF doctrines you espouse are sailing further and farther away from God's Word. It seems the latest in your posts is to find new ways for old tales of WOF doctrines to make God {who upholds all things by the word of His power} to now be subservient to whatever puny man dictates on earth - a tiny speck in a vast universe.
Re: Why Pray - ”Let Thy Will Be Done”? by aletheia(m): 3:23pm On Mar 10, 2010
^^^
Joagbaje's logic is defeated by the evidence that miracles occur. Miracles by their nature are a suspension of the laws in operation on earth when God chooses to sovereignly act to bring them to pass. The irony of the situation is that WoF is very loud in it's claims of miracles.
The Law is clear, "the soul that sins will die" and thus all men die but God has intervened that we might live. But Joagbaje's logic would have God bound and constrained by Law and unable to save.

Rom 9:15-21 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy. For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth. Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth. Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will? Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus? Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?

1 Co 15:13-19 But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen: And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain. Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not. For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised: And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins. Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished. If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.
Re: Why Pray - ”Let Thy Will Be Done”? by Joagbaje(m): 4:11pm On Mar 10, 2010
aletheia:

^^^
Joagbaje's logic is defeated by the evidence that miracles occur. Miracles by their nature are a suspension of the laws in operation on earth when God chooses to sovereignly act to bring them to pass. The irony of the situation is that WoF is very loud in it's claims of miracles.
A miracle is not precisely an act of Gods sovereignty but a manifestation of Gods will through faith in his word.A miracle is not a suspension in God's law. But rather a supernatural occurence to bring man back into the original will of God. Salvation as a miracle is by your personal faith.

The Law is clear, "the soul that sins will die" and thus all men die but God has intervened that we might live. But Joagbaje's logic would have God bound and constrained by Law and unable to save.

You are wrong here . it is not the will of God for any to die.

Rom 9:15-21 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy. For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth. Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth. Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will? Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus? Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?

Nobody is denying that there are callings, giftings and abilities. Dont try to cleverly manipulate it into another thing. God has his will for each person. We need to know his will for our lives and fulfill. The attempt to pitch me against the plan and purpose of God will not be successful. My point is simple. A man will need to cooperate with God ,to bring his will to pass in his life. The will of God may not come to pass in a man's life, God Omnipotence cannot force a man into his will. Even though God possess such ability , he will not use it. You shoul know his will and purpose to fulfil it.

Acts 22:14
And he said, The God of our fathers hath chosen thee, that thou shouldest[b] know his will[/b], and see that Just One, and shouldest hear the voice of his mouth.

Abraham knew Gods will, Jesus knew Gods will, Paul knew Gods will and he prayed for churches to bre filled with the knowledge of the will.

Philip. 3:12-13
Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. [13] Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,

2 Tim. 4:7
I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: [8] Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.
Re: Why Pray - ”Let Thy Will Be Done”? by viaro: 4:42pm On Mar 10, 2010
aletheia:

^^^

Simple as A-B-C. I wonder whether Joagbaje takes time to consider simple issues like that ^^.

And his reply to that was - what? ~~
Joagbaje:

You are wrong here . it is not the will of God for any to die.

@Joagbaje, did you consider that aletheia was not asserting that it was God's will that all men should die? Did you read how he qualified the fact of his statement by saying "but God has intervened that we might live"?? On what basis then do you fault that simple clause? Is it that you like to just disagree by default if what you read does not have the WOF silverline in it? Just curious.

Joagbaje:

A miracle is not precisely an act of Gods sovereignty but a manifestation of Gods will through faith in his word. A miracle is not a suspension in God's law.

Do you consider the Virgin birth of Christ to be an act of God's sovereignty or not? And who was exercising 'faith' in order to permit God to bring His sovereignty to bear in enacting the New Covenant in Christ?

More than that, who has been His counsellor (Rom. 11:34), without which God's Sovereignty would be stalled?

Nobody is denying that there are callings, giftings and abilities. Dont try to cleverly manipulate it into another thing. God has his will for each person. We need to know his will for our lives and fulfill. The attempt to pitch me against the plan and purpose of God will not be successful. My point is simple. A man will need to cooperate with God ,to bring his will to pass in his life. The will of God may not come to pass in a man's life, God Omnipotence cannot force a man into his will. Even though God possess such ability , he will not use it. You shoul know his will and purpose to fulfil it.

In all of this, I am still interested in your claim that God has to "submit His omnipotence" to the laws of the universe - please deal with that. It is pertinent that we know whether you have some substance in your assertions or just rather throwing words around the place.
Re: Why Pray - ”Let Thy Will Be Done”? by Enigma(m): 9:43pm On Mar 10, 2010
Joagbaje:

You are wrong to say the rest of christian body does not agree . It only few ignorant folks that are being used by the enemy to attack the mesage of faith ,that is required to perfect the church in their authority against the devil.

Which Christian denomination (i.e. apart from WoF) agrees with you and WoF that:

(a) Jesus was just a man who could only act/operate by faith

(b) A Christian is "god" or "God"

(c) The Lord's prayer - especially thy will be done - which Jesus taught to His disciples is not for the "mature born-again" person.

It  not a contradiction if I say spirits are illegal on this planet and man is a spirit. That is the reason God put man in the human body to have a legal right to function, if a man loses his body , he is out of this plane. If God must function here, he must require a physical body too. but certainly not the heavenly body.

So is satan not operating on this planet? Is satan physical? It is not illegal for satan as a spirit to operate on this planet but it is illegal for God as a spirit to do it? So as a spirit God is even less than satan, also as a spirit, on this planet?

You cannot see the daftness of the WoF logic that your man and his more serious senior heretics have fed you?

Further:

How did God appear to Moses in the burning bush again? Which physical body did He use?

How did Elijah and Moses appear with the Lord during the transfiguration?

I have confined myself to only the above in your post to keep things brief. I will make a comment though ---- you do not really understand when aletheia accuses you of gnosticism. With your constant references to "in the spirit realm"  and the way you use that phrase you might as well be practising the same religion and "faith" as occultists, witches, Fadeyi oloro, etc. In fact I do remember a post where you compared your use of "the word" to their practises.
Re: Why Pray - ”Let Thy Will Be Done”? by InesQor(m): 9:52pm On Mar 10, 2010
Enigma, I was going to keep quiet about all of this because no matter how often a negro takes his bath, he won't become a caucasian; and I'm tired of this gist. But you have already addressed my concerns. Thanks
Re: Why Pray - ”Let Thy Will Be Done”? by Enigma(m): 10:12pm On Mar 10, 2010
To be honest, even me sef I don tire; Joagbaje case, na only divine intervention fit do am!  smiley

On a more serious note, I have found that his post that I referred to:

Joagbaje:

Speaking Faith Or WORD OF FAITH:
faith has to be communicated in words. In the spirit realm, words are not mere sounds but "they are spirits".I need several pages to explain this but I will make it as brief as possible. If you rew up among the Yorubas , I dont know about other cultures, The acient fighters and hunters and warruors use "ogede" and "ofo" Pastor AIO will bear us out here. He was born into Ifa family  "ofo" means spoken word. You must speak it out!. Spoken words are like currency of purchase in the sprit realm.In the 70s on WNTV WE watched how two warriors would be charming each other with words. These are spiritual laws. It cut across the globe.

The word of faith is the spoken active word through our mouth. It is our "ofo" If I may borrow that word.

For the benefit of those who don't understand Yoruba, the words "ofo" and "ogede" basically mean juju incantations; what Joagbaje is referring to is a battle of spiritual (juju) powers by the exchange of "ofo" (incantations"wink where the person with the superior power will eventually subdue (maybe even kill) the other.

Again question for Joagbaje: apart from WoF which other Christian denomination sees Christianity and especially "faith" in this way?

ETA Compare Proverbs 18:10

The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe.
Re: Why Pray - ”Let Thy Will Be Done”? by mavenbox: 5:31am On Mar 11, 2010
Praying for God's Will is not outdated.
Re: Why Pray - ”Let Thy Will Be Done”? by Joagbaje(m): 5:28pm On Mar 11, 2010
viaro:

No worries, for however 'appropriately' you may have tried to express it, your ideas are still skewed and do not point to God's Word.

First, what are the "laws" God has set in the 'universe' that would necessitate His submitting His omnipotence to the rules He has set?

I do not want to confuse between 'laws of the universe' in either - (a) the scientific sense, or (b) the [url=http://members.optusnet.com.au/~acceptance/UnderstandingSpirituality/Spirituality%20Files/LawsoftheUniverse.htm]religio-spirituality sense[/url]. However, in whatever sense you might have meant it, what are those 'laws' of the universe that are so baronial as that God would have to "submit His omnipotence" to them?

Now, if by 'laws of the universe' you now narrow them down to 'the rules of justice he set on the earth', how do you reconcile both statements? Does God actually "submit" His omnipotence to rules He set on earth? Is the earth now the same as the 'universe' that your reductionism has to bring God's omnipotence over all things down to what you want to argue on earth?

You see, it is now clear with each passing day that the WOF doctrines you espouse are sailing further and farther away from God's Word. It seems the latest in your posts is to find new ways for old tales of WOF doctrines to make God {who upholds all things by the word of His power} to now be subservient to whatever puny man dictates on earth - a tiny speck in a vast universe.

Stop hiding behind wof doctrines , deal with me as a person by the word.
There are several laws of God in the universe and in his dealings with man. From the laws of sowing and reaping , the law of justice, law of nature, reproduction to the law of sin and death, the law of the spirit of life, the law of faith etc.

God submits his omnipotence to this laws and his omniscience if I may say. This is my personal view from the word. For example , God in his omniscience should not have been surprised at the evil in the world in the days of Noah ,

Genesis 6:5-6
And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. [6] And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

Why should an omniscience God be taken by surprises, why should he regret creating man, didnt he know everything, didnt he know what they would do? In his omniscience he does but in his dealing with man he does not. but we know he does , but that how he relates in mans understanding , We should not try to probe into matters too high for us.

Deut. 29:29
The secret things belong unto the Lord our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law.

There are beings in the spiritual realm. principalities that are watching over the earth and giving reports to God. The bible call them watchers. they give report to God. and by there decree. God would know if the cup of iniquity of a man or a nation is full for judgement.

Daniel 4:17
This matter is by the decree of the watchers, and the demand by the word of the holy ones: to the intent that the living may know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will, and setteth up over it the basest of men.

Daniel 4:13
I saw in the visions of my head upon my bed, and, behold, a watcher and an holy one came down from heaven;

Daniel 4:23
And whereas the king saw a watcher and an holy one coming down from heaven, and saying, Hew the tree down, and destroy it; yet leave the stump of the roots thereof in the earth, even with a band of iron and brass, in the tender grass of the field; and let it be wet with the dew of heaven, and let his portion be with the beasts of the field, till seven times pass over him;

God didnt allow Israel to destroy the amorites because there cup of iniquity was not yet full according to the watchers.

Genesis 15:16
But in the fourth generation they shall come hither again: for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full.

They cried to God also concerning the iniquity of soddom and gommorah

Genesis 18:20-21
And the Lord said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous; [21] I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know.

Does the God that knows everything require a watcher as reporter?

We should deal with God according to his dealings in our different dispensation. If you running this race of omnicience of God , there will be collision with other spiritual laws. somebody will soon enter the error of predestination
viaro:

There are several laws of God in the universe and in his dealings with man. From the laws of sowing and reaping , the law of justice, law of nature, reproduction to the law of sin and death, the law of the spirit of life, the law of faith etc.

God submits his omnipotence to this laws and his omniscience if I may say. This is my personal view from the word. For example , God in his omniscience should not have been surprised at the evil in the world in the days of Noah ,

And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. [6] And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

Why should an omniscience God be taken by surprises, why should he regret creating man, didnt he know everything, didnt he know what they would do? In his omniscience he does but in his dealing with man he does not. but we know he does , but that how he relates in mans understanding , We should not try to probe into matters too high for us.

The secret things belong unto the Lord our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law.

There are beings in the spiritual realm. principalities that are watching over the earth and giving reports to God. The bible call them watchers. they give report to God. and by there decree. God would know if the cup of iniquity of a man or a nation is full for judgement.

This matter is by the decree of the watchers, and the demand by the word of the holy ones: to the intent that the living may know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will, and setteth up over it the basest of men.

I saw in the visions of my head upon my bed, and, behold, a watcher and an holy one came down from heaven;

And whereas the king saw a watcher and an holy one coming down from heaven, and saying, Hew the tree down, and destroy it; yet leave the stump of the roots thereof in the earth, even with a band of iron and brass, in the tender grass of the field; and let it be wet with the dew of heaven, and let his portion be with the beasts of the field, till seven times pass over him;

God didnt allow Israel to destroy the amorites because there cup of iniquity was not yet full according to the watchers.

But in the fourth generation they shall come hither again: for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full.

And the Lord said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous; [21] I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know.

We should deal with God according to his dealings in our different dispensation. If you running this race of omnicience of God , there will be collision with other spiritual laws. somebody will soon enter the error of predestination
viaro:

God can do anything. but he wont.
Re: Why Pray - ”Let Thy Will Be Done”? by InesQor(m): 5:35pm On Mar 11, 2010
I have a lot to say about the above, but I will let viaro answer for himself.
Re: Why Pray - ”Let Thy Will Be Done”? by Fhemmmy: 5:40pm On Mar 11, 2010
Like i said earlier . . . .His will is perfect for us, cos He know us more than we even know ourselves, He created us for a purpose
Re: Why Pray - ”Let Thy Will Be Done”? by viaro: 5:46pm On Mar 11, 2010
InesQor:

I have a lot to say about the above, but I will let viaro answer for himself.

My brother, thank you. wink
Re: Why Pray - ”Let Thy Will Be Done”? by InesQor(m): 6:08pm On Mar 11, 2010
viaro:

My brother, thank you. wink
You're welcome, viaro. Joagbaje's post consists of two repetitions, though. It's not really that long.
Re: Why Pray - ”Let Thy Will Be Done”? by viaro: 6:13pm On Mar 11, 2010
@Joagbaje,

Joagbaje:

I think that's precisely what I've been doing, no?

God submits his omnipotence to this laws and his omniscience if I may say. This is my personal view from the word.

I kinda like the way you said that all this tripe is your "personal view", and indeed it is not the Word of God. You seem to be convincing me more and more that it's either you don't know the meaning of God's omnipotence and omniscience, or you just don't have any regard for God Himself to have been asserting what you can't find in His Word.

Let's just take two examples from your list:

(A)    law of nature,
 (B)    reproduction to the law of sin and death

You did not tell me what you might mean by 'law of nature' - at least, I distinguished between: (a) the scientific sense, and (b) the religio-spirituality sense. If I had to take the former [(a)], then it means that you have reduced God to a mere puppet subservient to nature.

As such, your contraption of 'God' rules out Sovereignty and God's Preternatural Power. The 'god' you speak of is NOT the God we read of in the Bible for the Christian faith - for that which submits his omnipotence and omniscience to some set laws by necessity suggests that he cannot rise above those same laws of nature.

The same thing could be said as to 'the law of sin and death'. Even in our humanity, we cannot rise above such a "law of sin and death" in our best efforts. If we would be delivered, we need Someone who Himself is not under such a law - this is why Paul declares: 'For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from "the law of sin and death"' (Rom. 8:2). Just imagine a situation where you have to reckon on a 'god' who has himself submitted his sovereignty to the same law under which you are held bound!

Joagbaje, you only confirm that you either don't know God in the Biblical sense, or that you don't understand the terms you use in your arguments ... or if you understand anything at all, you simply have absolutely no regard for God.
Re: Why Pray - ”Let Thy Will Be Done”? by Joagbaje(m): 7:56pm On Mar 11, 2010
InesQor:

You're welcome, viaro. Joagbaje's post consists of[b] two repetitions, though[/b]. It's not really that long.

Three repetitions, It was a mistake, I sent it yesterday but my network gave challenge, I saved and pasted ,I didnt know i triplicated
Re: Why Pray - ”Let Thy Will Be Done”? by InesQor(m): 7:59pm On Mar 11, 2010
^^^ Nope! TWO repetitions, making three instances!
Re: Why Pray - ”Let Thy Will Be Done”? by AMONG144: 3:58pm On Jul 13, 2013
To know God and the power of His love is impossible without practical observance of His Word, which means that we must seek to walk as Christ walked.
1Jn 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him
Even Jesus prayed to the Father, “Your will be done,” in the Lord’s prayer Matthew 6:9-15
This verse in Matthew 26 again shows Jesus praying in a similar way: Matthew 26:39
He went on a little farther and bowed with his face to the ground, praying, “My Father! If it is possible, let this cup of suffering be taken away from me, Yet I want your will to be done, not mine.”
It shows humility and trust in God to admit we don’t understand his perfect will. So, I often pray, “Lord, this is what my heart desires, but what I truly want is your will in this situation.” Other times I pray, "Lord, I am not certain of your will, but I trust you will do what is best." GOD'S WILL IS THE BEST

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Atheist's Dilemma / Ozubulu Killing: Catholic Set Up Committee, Visit Victims At Hospital, Give N50k / Atheist Gives $22.5million To Catholic Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.