Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,772 members, 7,809,980 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:09 PM

Why Did You Leave Nigeria? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Did You Leave Nigeria? (14895 Views)

No Ex-govt Official Should Leave Nigeria After May 29 – Yayale / Wike Promise SS And SE Will Leave Nigeria If...(pix) / Bode George Has Promised To Leave Nigeria Soonest Over Buhari's Win (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did You Leave Nigeria? by ElRazur: 1:56am On Mar 17, 2010
bawomolo:

i don't know what's wrong with being a cleaner or security guard while trying to get your education in order.

there are many students who do odd jobs to survive.

You must be one of the olodos then. From what I know, the streets of England and US are paved with diamond and the gutters littered with gold. All you gotta do is pick 'em up. Fact. Just ask any Nigerian back home.
Re: Why Did You Leave Nigeria? by spoilt(f): 1:58am On Mar 17, 2010
Talking smack about security guards and Taxi drivers. grin
Its their pay that is being wired to long throat impoverished relatives in Nigeria.
Re: Why Did You Leave Nigeria? by bawomolo(m): 2:02am On Mar 17, 2010
ElRazur:

You must be one of the olodos then. From what I know, the streets of England and US are paved with diamond and the gutters littered with gold. All you gotta do is pick 'em up. Fact. Just ask any Nigerian back home.

abi o, you can come to obodo oyinbo and make millions by owning a dunkin donuts and mcdonald's franchise.

it's free money yall  cheesy

how can a whole me with my degree in zoology in FUTO work as a security guard?
Re: Why Did You Leave Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:04am On Mar 17, 2010
Re: Why Did You Leave Nigeria?

Nepa frustrated me, so I had to run out.
Re: Why Did You Leave Nigeria? by bawomolo(m): 2:07am On Mar 17, 2010
stillwater:

i knew you could run very far with those legs of yours grin
Re: Why Did You Leave Nigeria? by mamagee3(f): 2:07am On Mar 17, 2010
stillwater:

grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Did You Leave Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:11am On Mar 17, 2010
i knew you could run very far with those legs of yours

They came in handy. tongue
Re: Why Did You Leave Nigeria? by TippyTop(m): 2:22am On Mar 17, 2010
ElRazur:

Do you have a one track mind. Try and think outside the box.     .     .     .   In fact, think without the box.

A good leader is just not what we need.
That is my point. A leader is as good as the followers.

Nigerians are not ready for change, but I am not sure you understand that little point.

Let us not derail this thread. Create a new thread and we can discuss this further.

Was it the followers (Lagosians) who made Gov Fashola achieve so much in so little time. Why do you come across as drunk? Are you an alcoholic?

spoilt:

FYI
Even the average taxi driver, cleaner, janitor and security guard here lives better than many in Nigeria.

Hence my point, imagine what it would be like when you don't have to work the streets and living among your people>>>>>Blisss!!!!

stillwater:

How will it make sense to you, if what you could derive from the topic was cleaners and security guards.
It's just like saying many Nigerians who remain in Nigeria become fraudsters, shiooorrrrrr.

I didn't know it would touch a raw nerve, epkele.
Re: Why Did You Leave Nigeria? by EzeUche(m): 2:25am On Mar 17, 2010
I am glad my parents are educators!

No need to be a janitor or taxi driver. tongue
Re: Why Did You Leave Nigeria? by ElRazur: 2:30am On Mar 17, 2010
Tippy Top:

Was it the followers (Lagosians) who made Gov Fashola achieve so much in so little time. Why do you come across as drunk? Are you an alcoholic?

You still are missing the bigger picture. The progress of a society - not just socio-structural amenities - is dependent on the people. Not just the leader.

A leader can build plenty public toilet, but if the people will keep sh!tting on the road side, it is useless. A leader can build 100 fire stations but if the same mind set of non-maintenance continues, it will be back to square one. Surely, it is not hard to understand these things? Nah wah o.

Please think out side the box. Remember, there is no box.
Re: Why Did You Leave Nigeria? by RichyBlacK(m): 2:51am On Mar 17, 2010
I left because I could.
Re: Why Did You Leave Nigeria? by TippyTop(m): 3:23am On Mar 17, 2010
ElRazur:

You still are missing the bigger picture. The progress of a society - not just socio-structural amenities - is dependent on the people. Not just the leader.

A leader can build plenty public toilet, but if the people will keep sh!tting on the road side, it is useless. A leader can build 100 fire stations but if the same mind set of non-maintenance continues, it will be back to square one. Surely, it is not hard to understand these things? Nah wah o.
Please think out side the box. Remember, there is no box.

So why has China risen so dramatically in the last 20yrs? What changed? I mean they're still Chinese with same mind set. Could it be because they had new dynamic liberal leaders. Why is South Korea more prosperous than  North Korea and why was Dubai built in less than 20yrs and not before?
Just as leaders can take nations forward bad leadership can take a nation backward e.g North Korea with its despotic leader. We will never know what it would have been like if we had leaders like the Awos the Fasholas as opposed to the Banbagidas and Abachas.
Don't be retarded.
Re: Why Did You Leave Nigeria? by ElRazur: 3:39am On Mar 17, 2010
Tippy Top:

So why has China risen so dramatically in the last 20yrs? What changed? I mean they're still Chinese with same mind set. Could it be because they had new dynamic liberal leaders. Why is South Korean more prosperous than  North Korean and why was Dubai built in less than 20yrs and not before?
Just as leaders can take nations forward bad leadership can take a nation backward e.g North Korea with its despotic leader. We will never know what it would have been like if we had leaders like the Awos the Fasholas as opposed to the Banbagidas and Abachas.
Don't be retarded.

Okay I have seen the light now.

Oh wait, Nigeria is not China. Nigeria is not Dubai. What is good for the goose may not be good for the fowl.

Oh wait, one more. "we are as strong as our weak points"

Oh wait, the same mind set that have stopped Nigeria developing in almost 50 years. I guess one leader will just come from heaven and make it all work. And am guessing this leader will come from the same Nigerians that have indirectly or directly refused change right?

Okay awesome. Now I have seen the light. I think you are right and very correct.
Re: Why Did You Leave Nigeria? by TippyTop(m): 3:47am On Mar 17, 2010
I was waiting to see how you'd get your self out the hole you were digging.

Hint: when in a hole stop digging da murtha fu*king hole aiight!

PEACE OUT!!!
Re: Why Did You Leave Nigeria? by ElRazur: 3:58am On Mar 17, 2010
You aren't making any sense to be honest. You cannot understand simple logic and am not sure if it is worth talking to you any more. There is nothing logical in what you have posted so far. To yourself perhaps you make sense but, seriously, nothing logical in your post.

You are quick to suggest good leadership will solve our problem. Yet you forget that good leadership is not the only factor, another important factor is good followership and the state of mind of Nigerians. For example, majority of Nigerians think of what they will gain out of Nigeria and how they can have a slice of the national cake but not what they can do for Nigeria even if it serves them no gain.

These are some of things I am talking about, but clearly you find it hard to comprehend.

You compared a nation of 150 million to another naiton of about 1.6 billion. You compared a place like china where there are different factors at play, where there are things like child regulation, communism, state control etc. You compared that with Nigeria that practices democracy and none of those restrictions etc. You know, in a debate, you compare like for like. You know, compare say for example, an orange with an orange, not an orange with a paracetamol tablet and butterfly.

Dubai is not the same as Nigeria - see above.

So when I am not keen on taking it further with you, it is not about digging hole, it is just about the fact that your logic is crude. Don't worry though, rely on this messiah of leader coming to make Nigeria better.
Re: Why Did You Leave Nigeria? by MandingoII(m): 4:41am On Mar 17, 2010
Why do people DISLIKE Nigerians so much across the globe?

Why have Nigerians done for their host country besides take take take.
Re: Why Did You Leave Nigeria? by MandingoII(m): 4:45am On Mar 17, 2010
Its a shame many left Nigeria to further their education but ended up as Cleaners, Taxi drivers, Security guards, Pros.titutes the list is endless.

FACT!

I think they call home and tell their peeps they are doing big thangs in the states, yet, All I see are nigerians working in hospitals as orderlies, taxi drivers and a few students that are failing in record numbers.
Re: Why Did You Leave Nigeria? by MandingoII(m): 4:53am On Mar 17, 2010
So why has China risen so dramatically in the last 20yrs? What changed? I mean they're still Chinese with same mind set. Could it be because they had new dynamic liberal leaders. Why is South Korea more prosperous than North Korea and why was Dubai built in less than 20yrs and not before?
Don't be retarded.

Because SHELL, EXXON, CHEVRON et.al.

RULE Nigeria.

and all the governors and political figures have their HAND OUT for money from the Oil Magnets while their people starve, and the governing body do not care.

Nigerians have high tolerance for pain. if they didn't they would rise up and overthrow the bums, BUT because the ethnic groups despise each other , this is NOT going to happen.

just crabs in a barrel.

when they come to America with their enthusiasiam and lofty dreams they become disillusioned because America is a country that will PUT YOU TO WORK, for crumbs if you do not have the right skill set or education.
Re: Why Did You Leave Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:23am On Mar 17, 2010
bawomolo:

i don't know what's wrong with being a cleaner or security guard while trying to get your education in order.

there are many students who do odd jobs to survive.

one oga in my company who we all are answering to and who is three months younger than me washed toilets at one point to fund his MBA

i guess when the guy is barking i need to picturing him packing shit so i can feel a little better cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Did You Leave Nigeria? by deor03(m): 11:46am On Mar 17, 2010
@Topic

I had 2 objectives before i left

1. Good Education
2. Improved Job ,possibly into management, based on the leverage

Of course i had to do odd job( Call center, not too odd though) to sponsor my self thru school. I left with the next available flight back to Naija after my dissertation; to contribute my own small quota in the development of our nation.

I Got back, and got a good management offer in a Telecoms firm.
Re: Why Did You Leave Nigeria? by spikedcylinder: 12:13pm On Mar 17, 2010
I guess the major consolation for those who can't leave Nigeria is in the 'fact' that those who leave only do so just to end up doing menial jobs.
You go old.
Re: Why Did You Leave Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:25pm On Mar 17, 2010
tippy top don't mind this army of toliet cleaners and cab drivers posting form cyber cafes and forming successful in yankee

if they had real jobs they would't have all this time to post and form living large in jand/yankee

/sarcasm *

we came back to naija from england in '83   angry angry angry

because my folks wanted to give back and all that
Re: Why Did You Leave Nigeria? by seguntijan(m): 12:26pm On Mar 17, 2010
i travel for better education and exposure
Re: Why Did You Leave Nigeria? by demoli(m): 12:33pm On Mar 17, 2010
MR  MINDSET and MR GOOD LEADERSHIP i believe both are needed in moving ur nation forward and making it a better place to live
change the mind set  make sthe governed to have a good and positive attitudes towards things and a good leader will set good and positive examples to follow. so, na the two and  more factors go make 9ja better.     Really gbadun both arguement abi na debate sef.
Re: Why Did You Leave Nigeria? by richjohn1(m): 12:40pm On Mar 17, 2010
Being to england thrice and to be honest I dont know what nigerians are doing there? It was sad to see how people whose families think they are living in UK are living? My place of work takeS us to notthingham/exeter every year we spend three weeks and all I see of my people is nothing to write home about.
IMO Nigeria is the best place O! as a Nigerian, the look we get when we introduce ourselves during the program is with disdain and a suspicious smile, the question is why being a slave in another man's place when you can live like a king here. I hiss in tongues NIGERIA will NOT break, there'll  be no war, things will shape itself up go and write it in your diary! grin
Re: Why Did You Leave Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 12:40pm On Mar 17, 2010
Ah, this never ending war between the Nairalanders within, and the ones without.

Seriously, the guys who left Naija fled, or were shuttled out by their family. The guys remaining are mostly trapped, or indifferent/beclouded.

I mean, for many years, my dad used to sell me that story of those-who-go-abroad-end-up-lost-and-irrelevant. And I believed it until I was old enough to know better. A simple Bobs-I-no-fit-send-you-comot-o would have been a whole lot better.

A select few have put themselves in a position of being here by choice, but they quietly ensure that they are as close to the emergency exit as possible wink
Some of us are fortunately in that category, but nobody is deceiving oneself. At least I know I am not indifferent. That would be pretty dumb.

My personal sentiment is this: I am here primarily because it is my country, and I am surrounded by my own people, with all their many flaws. If something needs to be done, someone's gotta be around to do it. We're not going to get it all correct from Day 1, but we had better start doing.

Meanwhile what's all this about people cleaning toilets and driving cabs? If I have to leave naija tomorrow and go clean toilets somewhere, well . . .  so be it. Na honest work.
Re: Why Did You Leave Nigeria? by Iyineda(m): 12:43pm On Mar 17, 2010
My reason? 'Forced' expatriation. I didn't have much of a choice back then.

Having settled pretty well in the French educational system, my parents decided to leave me behind and take my siblings back to Nigeria. It's been 12 years now. . .

My cousin keeps saying that I will never return to live in Nigeria. Only time (and a particular cause) will tell.
Re: Why Did You Leave Nigeria? by splashbaby(m): 12:46pm On Mar 17, 2010
Tippy Top:

So why has China risen so dramatically in the last 20yrs? What changed? I mean they're still Chinese with same mind set. Could it be because they had new dynamic liberal leaders. Why is South Korea more prosperous than  North Korea and why was Dubai built in less than 20yrs and not before?
Don't be retarded.

I have watched you with keen intrest over a period of time and I have a certain opinion about you now! Why the insult after making a valid point?
Re: Why Did You Leave Nigeria? by Redman44(m): 12:50pm On Mar 17, 2010
Why do folks here enjoy bringing the issue of peeps doing menial jobs to the forum when diaspora/travel threads are started sad sad?  Ignorance is a disease and I want you to wake up to the realities of living in Europe and North America. I've seen native white people in Britain cleaning and sweeping the streets. I've seen a Scottish woman cleaning offices and toilets in a private coy in London. Most of the cab drivers in London are white britons sad sad So you think it is easy to go to another man's land and dominate them there? You have to start from somewhere, man.  We love coming to Nairaland to show off. The irony of it all is that the so called cab drivers in London are very knowledgeable about things happening around them and in the world at large. They live simple lives and try and check their bank accounts [ If you can ], you'll discover that they have good savings.  It is so funny to see struggling Nigerians abroad buying the latest designer clothes just to show off that that they're doing well. Fake living angry angry angry

As for me, I love travelling and discovering new cultures. I left Nigeria to develop my creativity and see for myself things I've been reading about.  I've been to amazing places. I still love Nigeria though.

www.vibes-extra..com
Re: Why Did You Leave Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Mar 17, 2010
rich_john:

Being to england thrice and to be honest I dont know what nigerians are doing there? It was sad to see how people whose families think they are living in UK are living? My place of work takeS us to notthingham/exeter every year we spend three weeks and all I see of my people is nothing to write home about.
IMO Nigeria is the best place O! as a Nigerian, the look we get when we introduce ourselves during the program is with disdain and a suspicious smile, the question is why being a slave in another man's place when you can live like a king here. I hiss in tongues NIGERIA will NOT break, there'll  be no war, things will shape itself up go and write it in your diary! grin
Aswerigad, I don't know what cave some of you crawl out from.

So you go to Nottingham and Exeter for a 3 week course. . . . .
You see a handfull of Nigerians then for some reason best known to you . . . .  . .you think every Nigerian in Nottingham and Exeter is suffering??

Jesus Take the wheel!

My guy, do yourself a favour, please crawl back into whatever cave you crawled out from.
Re: Why Did You Leave Nigeria? by tkb417(m): 12:54pm On Mar 17, 2010
cant we just stick to the topic?

why did you leave Nigeria? simple

rich_john:

ol boi, easy
stick with the topic and dont derail the thread. what Nigerians do abroad isnt anybody bizniz
Re: Why Did You Leave Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 1:02pm On Mar 17, 2010
rich_john:

Being to england thrice and to be honest I dont know what nigerians are doing there?

Since you've only been there thrice . . . easy to understand why you don't know, abi?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

FG Releases ₦185 Billion For Calabar-Itu Highway Dualisation / FG Owes Contractors Over ₦‎11 Trillion, Says Fashola / LP Chairman, Spokesman Differ Over Okupe's ‘Sacking’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.