Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,012 members, 7,838,536 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:22 AM

Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning (15580 Views)

87% Nigeria’s Poverty Rate In North – World Bank / Dangote Blasts State Governors For High Poverty Rate In Northern Nigeria / Poverty Rate Of The 36 States In Nigeria By United Nation Poverty Index (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Mynd44: 1:48pm On Oct 29, 2017
AnambraDota:

If your about to be offered a visa for free, between China, Switzerland, Austria, Germany or Singapore, which would you rather choose first.

Big economy doesn't translate to people having more disposable income.

Nigeria is the biggest economy in Africa but I will prefer being a citizen of Mauritius or Seychelles to Nigeria
If you were to choose between Nigeria and China which will it be? undecided

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by manuelzz(m): 1:49pm On Oct 29, 2017
Mille:
First of all, do you live in Lagos? If Yes, then why haven't you relocated to the 'prosperous Biafra'?

If No, then you shouldn't even be talking.

I lived in Orile for the first 22 years of my life ( Minus the time spent studying in boarding school and my University days in Ogun), and No, we didn't earn less than $3 dollars a day, nor live in your described housing. Sure, we were not rich but we spent a lot more than the meagre $3 dollars per day and it was a 3 bedroom apartment for a family with 3 boys.
So I wonder where you got your data from.

I do not deny the existence of these type of accommodations but there are as more apartment buildings in Orile.

Secondly, a large bulk of the people you describe here are 'immigrants' from SE, SS and the North. I'm certain for that of Ajegunle and Orile. Don't ask me how I know. I grew up in these places. The kind of 'unskilled immigrants' with no qualification whatsoever who show up in Lagos for a better life only to go and oppress the starving villagers in the East during Christmas.

Lastly, I agree with you. Lagos and the entire SW is home to poor people and has a bad economy. But please, tell your people to leave. I hear Anambra is far better. Tell them to go home and enjoy the goods back home. I'm not comfortable with the generations after generations of your people living in the 'poor SW'.

If you want igbos to leave SW(with the exception of lagos,beacuse lagos as we all know is no man's land), tell your brothers to stop sabotaging efforts to actualize Biafra. Very simple! undecided

3 Likes

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Exclusive32: 1:49pm On Oct 29, 2017
Facts to Yoruba nairalander is like sending them on expeditionary mission.

3 Likes

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Unik3030: 1:49pm On Oct 29, 2017
AnambraDota:

It's not always believing but being realistic, there are more slums in Lagos than Anambra, slum dipicts poverty and lack.

Take a trip round these slums and tell me what you see. Stop being sentimental and face reality
the main thing u want to prove with your useless write up is that anambra is better than Lagos state, we agree. oya, go back to your cage

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Yyeske(m): 1:52pm On Oct 29, 2017
You guys should please stop all this d.ick measuring contest every time.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by laudate: 1:53pm On Oct 29, 2017
AnambraDota:
I saw one funny thread where yorubas were jubilating over IGR of Lagos and how Osun State is least poverty infested state in Nigeria.

I won't even compare the cesspit called Osun State with Yobe or Zamfara State having being there, Osun is poverty capital of SW.

Now they said Lagos is the least poor state in Nigeria, please these people that write these figures have they being to Lagos suburbs or they just obtain IGR figures from the government and distribute on papers among the populace.

Now yoruba dance surugede on, sincere people here what do see you when you pass through all these neighborhoods.
Agege
Orile
Okokomaiko.
Ilaje
Mushin.
Iyana Ipaja
Ijora badia.
Ajegunle.
Ilasa
Bariga.
Shomolu.
Etc

These slums are where the majority of Lagos people live, these areas contribute 80% of the cities population. Alimosho is the most populous LG in Nigeria and Iyana Ipaja is the heartbeat.

Now if you have not been to these slums listed and still believe poverty in Lagos is low, your sins are forgiven but if you have been to these sorry and squealors and still think Lagos poverty is low you are a m0r0n.

Let me tell you guys, there is no way one will be earning good pays or running lucrative business and still live a place with such living condition of these places listed above. Most people who live here earn less than $3 a day, there is no way you will be earning well and here living in majority of the building patterns that dominate the landscape.

Anybody that still lives in those type of houses with one passage in the middle while thousands of tenants live in rooms on both side of the entrance, the toilet and bathroom are always at the back and shared by the entire tenants, no rich persons can live in such arrangement.

Poverty rate in Lagos remain the highest, not just in Nigeria but maybe West Africa. There are more poor and extremely poor people in Lagos than anywhere in Nigeria.
The issue with Lagos is that because of its cosmopolitan nature citizens find it difficult holding the government responsible for a lot of bad decisions.

Lagos is so heterogenous unlike Kogi and Benue where citizens can easily organize themselves attack the government, most people in Lagos rather direct their criticism to their various state governments than to LASG because most people think they have no stake here but just to come and make money but home is where your heart will always be.

There is no level of poverty you can find in any state in Nigeria you can't get in Lagos but more people in Lagos live from hand to mouth than any state in Nigeria.
So face reality and stop basing your argument on paperwork, Lagos is the biggest economy yes but Lagos is home to the poorest people in Nigeria, the wealth is not evenly distributed.
Na wa for you, o! shocked When you were listing out Orile, Agege, Ajegunle, Ijora Badia, Bariga, Shomolu, Okokomaiko etc, you forgot to tell everyone that the largest number of residents in those places come from the Southeast and South-South, with some Northerners thrown into the mix, especially in Ilasa. sad

If you had included areas like Ikoyi, Victoria Island, Lekki, Ogudu, Magodo, Ikeja GRA, Apapa GRA, old Yaba, Gbagada, Surulere, Alaka, Ilupeju, Palmgrove Housing Estate, Obanikoro, Onikan, Ire Akari, Ajao Estate etc, then everyone would have felt you were trying to present a balanced picture, instead of the biased, jaundiced view you are propagating here. Anyway, I don't blame you.... you were obviously raised in those slums, that is why you are so familiar with them. undecided

For your information, people in Lagos do criticise and attack the LASG. Where were you when Ebun Adegboruwa took LASG to court for tolling Lekki-Epe expressway and Lekki-Ikoyi bridge? Where were you when Eko Hotel and other business owners took LASG to court over the imposition of sales tax and VAT? Do you know how many lawsuits against the LASG are currently in the law courts? The difference is that the LASG authorities have performed relatively well in comparison to other state govts, and that is why the criticism is not as loud as those of other states. Go figure! sad

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Michael004: 1:54pm On Oct 29, 2017
QueenSekxy:
Lagos is a glorified slum. .everybody knows undecided
This place is a perfect solution to people like you Mrs left over.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Oga080666419419: 1:55pm On Oct 29, 2017
ENG1110:
There are various developmental indices to judge Lagos and southwest with. If you have anyone supporting your claim about Anambra, kindly present them.
So you expect me to take your words over all these studies.
I am sure you are educated, present facts/statistics or just keep quiet.

THE OP IS SAYING YOU SHOULD MOVE AROUND TO SEE THINGS BY YOURSELF AND STOP BEING FOOLED BY POLITICIANS.

LAGOS IS ECONOMICALLY BOUYANT BUT IT DOES NOT MEAN THERE ARE LESS POOR PEOPLE THAN ANYWHERE ELSE

2 Likes

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Nobody: 1:57pm On Oct 29, 2017
Yyeske:
You guys should please stop all this d.ick measuring contest every time.
Tell your Igbo brothers to stop it. They are ALWAYS the first to make unfounded claims not backed up with facts data. When Yoruba respond with facts and truth, your people resort to cheap insults and tantrums.

15 Likes

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by GavelSlam: 1:57pm On Oct 29, 2017
Oga080666419419:

THE OP IS SAYING YOU SHOULD MOVE AROUND TO SEE THINGS BY YOURSELF AND STOP BEING FOOLED BY POLITICIANS.

LAGOS IS ECONOMICALLY BOUYANT BUT IT DOES NOT MEAN THERE ARE LESS POOR PEOPLE THAN ANYWHERE ELSE

What of New York?

4 Likes

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Michael004: 1:58pm On Oct 29, 2017
manuelzz:

If you want igbos to leave SW(with the exception of lagos,beacuse lagos as we all know is no man's land), tell your brothers to stop sabotaging efforts to actualize Biafra. Very simple! undecided
Mr nomanslander or binilander. Let it be at the back of your mind and your akpu brain that Yoruba language is compulsory in Lagos schools and it is the official language in Lagos.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Exclusive32: 1:59pm On Oct 29, 2017
Mille:
First of all, do you live in Lagos? If Yes, then why haven't you relocated to the 'prosperous Biafra'?

I lived in Orile for the first 22 years of my life ( Minus the time spent studying in boarding school and my University days in Ogun), and No, we didn't earn less than $3 dollars a day, nor live in your described housing. Sure, we were not rich but we spent a lot more than the meagre $3 dollars per day and it was a 3 bedroom apartment for a family with 3 boys.

I do not deny the existence of these type of accommodations but there are as more apartment buildings in Orile.

Secondly, a large bulk of the people you describe here are 'immigrants' from SE, SS and the North. I'm certain for that of Ajegunle and Orile. Don't ask me how I know. I grew up in these places. The kind of 'unskilled immigrants' with no qualification whatsoever who show up in Lagos for a better life only to go and oppress the starving villagers in the East during Christmas.

Lastly, I agree with you. Lagos and the entire SW is home to poor people and has a bad economy. But please, tell your people to leave. I hear Anambra is far better. Tell them to go home and enjoy the goods back home. I'm not comfortable with the generations after generations of your people living in the 'poor SW'.
I saw a family in Lagos, the husband is a volcanizer and the wife normally fry and sell akara.... They all live with their two kid in a small room packed with spare part , no toilet and no kitchen. so how can you explain this situation in ojo LGA? Because no one in bayelsa here or from bayelsa that is living such life apart from the aboki people here.

1 Like

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by ENG1110: 1:59pm On Oct 29, 2017
Oga080666419419:

Nobody has ever said Lagos does not have poor people. And besides, I have been to about 25 states in Nigeria, and all SE states apart from Ebonyi, so to a large extent, I am well travelled. And statistics are not done by politicians, they are done by non partisan bodies, and international org. Unless you want to tell me that every org out there is biased against SE.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by laudate: 1:59pm On Oct 29, 2017
manuelzz:
Lagosians did not sabotage the actualisation of Biafra. Your people are just clueless about how to achieve it. They think demonstrations, sit-at-home exercises, insults, bile and hate-speech will get them their Biafra on a platter of gold. Was that how other nations got their own independence?

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Unik3030: 2:00pm On Oct 29, 2017
manuelzz:

my simple question is,when Nigeria is been zoned into region, which region does Lagos fall into?

12 Likes

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by laudate: 2:01pm On Oct 29, 2017
Exclusive32:
I saw a family in Lagos, the husband is a volcanizer and the wife normally fry and sell akara.... They all live with their two kid in a small room packed with spare part , no toilet and no kitchen. so how can you explain this situation in ojo LGA? Because no one in bayelsa here or from bayelsa that is living such life apart from the aboki people here.
Why do you tell such big lies about people in Bayelsa? Have you been to the creeks to see how people live in poverty?? shocked

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Guestlander: 2:02pm On Oct 29, 2017
AnambraDota:

Yes tell me what directly affect people most, food, shelter....

You can't make good money and live a poor life.

Not true, what is happening in Lagos is directly related to overcrowding due to influx of people from different parts of the country.

7 Likes

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by realhumanity: 2:03pm On Oct 29, 2017
Seriously? Are you trying to be funny or you are trying to hate the Yoruba's. Lagos is the least in the hierarchy of poverty in Nigeria. You should not even compare at all. The reason why people stay in those aforementioned places is because of the high price on real estate. All those guys you see living in those places can comfortably stay in 3bedroom apartments in Kano.

The poverty situation is Benue is even more sickening than many places. Have you seen how ppl live in other places? Just don't go there.

11 Likes

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by AnambraDota: 2:04pm On Oct 29, 2017
laudate:

Na wa for you, o! shocked When you were listing out Orile, Agege, Ajegunle, Ijora Badia, Bariga, Shomolu, Okokomaiko etc, you forgot to tell everyone that the largest number of residents in those places come from the Southeast and South-South, with some Northerners thrown into the mix, especially in Ilasa. sad

If you had included areas like Ikoyi, Victoria Island, Lekki, Ogudu, Magodo, Ikeja GRA, Apapa GRA, old Yaba, Gbagada, Surulere, Alaka, Ilupeju, Palmgrove Housing Estate etc, then everyone would have felt you were trying to present a balanced picture, instead of the biased, jaundiced view you are propagating here. Anyway, I don't blame you.... you were obviously raised in those slums, that is why you are so familiar with them. undecided

For your information, people in Lagos do criticise and attack the LASG. Where were you when Ebun Adegboruwa took LASG to court for tolling Lekki-Epe expressway and Lekki-Ikoyi bridge? Where were you when Eko Hotel and other business owners took LASG to court over the imposition of sales tax and VAT? Do you know how many lawsuits against the LASG are currently in the law courts? The difference is that the LASG authorities have performed relatively well in comparison to other state govts, and that is why the criticism is not as loud as those of other states. Go figure! sad

Those places you listed hold less than 15% of Lagos population, Ikoyi, VI, Lekki have more corporations than residents.

Iyana Ipaja and Agege are more populated than the whole places combined.

2 Likes

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Michael004: 2:05pm On Oct 29, 2017
Guestlander:

You may be right, but then there are more skyscrapers and high end properties in Lagos than all of the East combined.
Does east has any skyscraper?

7 Likes

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Exclusive32: 2:06pm On Oct 29, 2017
laudate:

Why do you tell such big lies about people in Bayelsa? Have you been to the creeks to see how people live in poverty?? shocked
which creek are you talking about? yes there are no basic amenities like roads and electricity in most such area, but life there are far better than most of those living in Lagos. I can clearly tell you that in bayelsa, there are no family of three living in a room. You can talk about pollution in such area, but not cesspit hole like most of those lagosians.
Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by laudate: 2:06pm On Oct 29, 2017
AnambraDota:
Those places you listed hold less than 15% of Lagos population, Ikoyi, VI, Lekki have more corporations than residents.

Iyana Ipaja and Agege are more populated than the whole places combined.
You conducted a census or did a survey and came up with 15%?? When?? shocked Which Lekki has more corporations than residents? You sabi lie, o! shocked What part of Lekki are you even talking about? Is it Lekki Phase 1, Ikate, Elegushi, Pinnock Estate, Agungi, Osapa London, Idado, Chevyview, Ikota, Ajah, Abraham Adesanya, VGC Estate, Lekki Gardens I, II, III, IV and V Estates, Olokonla, Sangotedo, Awoyaya, Sapphire Gardens, Lakowe, Mayfair Gardens, Eputu, Ibeju-Lekki, Amen Estate, Abijo GRA, Crown Estate, Fara Park, Shapati, etc?? And you did not see where I also mentioned Surulere, Yaba, Palmgrove, Ogudu, Ikeja GRA, Magodo, Apapa, Gbagada, Surulere, and other areas in Lagos? Should I add Festac, Ikorodu and Epe into the list?

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Guestlander: 2:08pm On Oct 29, 2017
Michael004:

Heheheh.....Not now but in future when AnambraDota becomes the governor of the entire East.

9 Likes

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by deomelo: 2:08pm On Oct 29, 2017
AnambraDota:

It's not always believing but being realistic, there are more slums in Lagos than Anambra, slum dipicts poverty and lack.

Take a trip round these slums and tell me what you see. Stop being sentimental and face reality

How ridiculous and absurd can you people get? grin grin

ipob logic is always upside down logic. grin grin

Who did this to you people grin grin

19 Likes

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Oga080666419419: 2:11pm On Oct 29, 2017
Michael004:

NO, BUT THEY DON'T LIVE IN FACE-ME-I-SLAP-YOU BUILDINGS THAT DOMINATE LAGOS AND SOUTH WEST.

LIVING CONDITIONS IN EAST ARE BETTER THAN THOSE OF WEST.

IN WEST YOU PEOPLE LIVE IN GHETTOS AND SLUMS

1 Like

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by intruxive(m): 2:13pm On Oct 29, 2017
Mille:

God bless you for this comment.
Can u imagine an anambra immigrant disputing government figures of a land that has served as sanctuary to countless malnourished poverty stricken uneducated and unskilled immigrants from the south east ( they troupe in daily with buses)
If the south west is poor why come and fill up our space? Did we ask u to come?
If ur land was flowing with milk and honey why come to the south west.
If the truth hurts and u expect us to pity u, sorry time for that has pass. Kindly pack ur bags and relocate or as the oba once said the lagoon is wide enough, u will not be missed

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Exclusive32: 2:13pm On Oct 29, 2017
Mille:

Don't mind the idiot. He even wants to talk, he is talking about Bayelsa of all places.

Exclusive32 , You only know one family. I know hundreds of 'unskilled immigrants' with similar cases in Lagos. I can even give you the names and address of many Bayelsans who have 2 nuclear families sharing a single room in Orile.
Its not far from the truth that most Yoruba's are good in lying and spreading propagandas. a bayelsa can never leave this lovely place flowing with hornet and milk to live in Lagos unless he/ she has an important businesses over there. A bayelsa man can not leave his place to go and become a volcanizer or a barber in osun or Lagos. come to bayelsa, you will see so many Yoruba people sleeping in just 7 by 7 kitchen space pack with their working tools.

1 Like

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by AnambraDota: 2:14pm On Oct 29, 2017
Guestlander:

Heheheh.....Not now but in future when AnambraDota becomes the governor of the entire East. L

NO, we don't have skyscrapers but we don't live in ghettos and slums like yorubas.

Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by intruxive(m): 2:16pm On Oct 29, 2017
adeolakemi:
the xyz of the Yoruba race Lagos ,remove Lagos and the entire Yoruba region becomes dungeon
We have lagos, what do u have that can be removed?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by laudate: 2:16pm On Oct 29, 2017
Exclusive32:
which creek are you talking about? yes there are no basic amenities like roads and electricity in most such area, but life there are far better than most of those living in Lagos. I can clearly tell you that in bayelsa, there are no family of three living in a room. You can talk about pollution in such area, but not cesspit hole like most of those lagosians.
Bros, which part of Bayelsa are you talking about? Is it the one in your fantasy land or the same Bayelsa in the southern part of Nigeria, where we went to install telecom masts, and we saw indigenes living in shanties and bamboo huts right inside the creeks?? Guy, remember the 6th commandment - don't forget that all liars go to hell, o! shocked

18 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Anthony Attah: Decade Of Gas Initiative Will Transform Nigeria Into A Gas Nation / Femi Adesina: Buhari’s Visit To Tinubu Is On Goodwill, Not About 2023 Election / NNPC Confirms IOCs Exit, Insists On Gas Development

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.