Stats: 3,159,004 members, 7,838,517 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:48 AM

Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning (15578 Views)

87% Nigeria’s Poverty Rate In North – World Bank / Dangote Blasts State Governors For High Poverty Rate In Northern Nigeria / Poverty Rate Of The 36 States In Nigeria By United Nation Poverty Index (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Michael004: 9:52pm On Oct 29, 2017
BankeSmalls:

No skull was seen anywhere near otokoto house. If you saw any, show evidence.

It's only in Afonjaland that cutting of human head is a normal thing.
Yeah, no skull, na stone dey grin

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Nobody: 9:55pm On Oct 29, 2017
[quote author=laudate post=61891227][/quote]
Lolzzzz
Copycat
I said u are a daft illiterate
Just go back to school and learn something new
Iti mpacha akwu

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by laudate: 9:57pm On Oct 29, 2017
profmiganigal:
Lolzzzz

Copycat

I said u are a daft illiterate

Just go back to school and learn something new

Iti mpacha akwu

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by PierreDeFermath(m): 10:06pm On Oct 29, 2017
AnambraDota:

It's not always believing but being realistic, there are more slums in Lagos than Anambra, slum dipicts poverty and lack.

Take a trip round these slums and tell me what you see. Stop being sentimental and face reality
op,I'm Yoruba but I am not always biased. I don't know about other Yoruba States than Lagos and Kwara. But I can say that poverty is more prevalent in Lagos than any state in Nigeria,also,the standard of living is high and most people that earn averagely spend it,they live from hand to mouth,the poor and destitute live in slums,there is a saying in Yoruba which says "Owo Eko,Eko lon gbe" which means that any money you make in Lagos lives at Lagos,you can't have savings,make money in Lagos and bring the money down to your village,you would spend it at Lagos. a lot of people that are balling at Lagos are into rituals,crime,etc. about Kwara,Kwara is still easier to live in than Lagos because the standard of living is low and you live in decent apartments . the highest apartments for rent in Kwara is around 500k per apartment or low per year in GRA which is the same area people like Saraki,Tunde Idiagbon,Adisa,Shiaba Lafiaji and many leaders in Ilorin live. I lived in GRA for 4 years when I was in secondary school and it's a nice area and you can even rent a room for around 100k or lower per year. There are many places in Ilorin that are as nice too. there is no segregation like it is in Lagos,even my mechanic lives in GRA,its not like some over hyped places in Lagos like Banana island where only a rich few can live in. Lagos has too many poor and destitute people and has many rich people as well

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by tiredoflife(m): 10:15pm On Oct 29, 2017
PVision2020:

Do you know the largest Estate in west Africa...Jakande Estate Abesan Ipaja with over 1000 blocks of 2&3 story buildings.

Do you know Gowon Estate?
its a 2&3 storey buildings in their Hundreds.

Have you heard of Shagari Estate.

guy if you are talking of storey buildings then we can only compare Iyana Ipaja with states in the east. lol

Point of correction sir
The largest estate in west Africa is not Gowon estate iyana ipaja but gwarimpa estate Abuja
Make una small small dey lie about dis Lagos

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by laudate: 10:26pm On Oct 29, 2017
PierreDeFermath:
op,I'm Yoruba but I am not always biased. I don't know about other Yoruba States than Lagos and Kwara. But I can say that poverty is more prevalent in Lagos than any state in Nigeria, also,the standard of living is high and most people that earn averagely spend it,they live from hand to mouth,the poor and destitute live in slums,there is a saying in Yoruba which says "Owo Eko,Eko lon gbe" which means that any money you make in Lagos lives at Lagos,you can't have savings,make money in Lagos and bring the money down to your village,you would spend it at Lagos. a lot of people that are balling at Lagos are into rituals,crime,etc. about Kwara,Kwara is still easier to live in than Lagos because the standard of living is low and you live in decent apartments . the highest apartments for rent in Kwara is around 500k per apartment or low per year in GRA which is the same area people like Saraki,Tunde Idiagbon,Adisa,Shiaba Lafiaji and many leaders in Ilorin live. I lived in GRA for 4 years when I was in secondary school and it's a nice area and you can even rent a room for around 100k or lower per year. There are many places in Ilorin that are as nice too. there is no segregation like it is in Lagos,even my mechanic lives in GRA,its not like some over hyped places in Lagos like Banana island where only a rich few can live in. Lagos has too many poor and destitute people and has many rich people as well
Oga, how many states have you lived in apart from Lagos and Kwara that led you to conclude that "poverty is more prevalent in Lagos than any state in Nigeria?" Have you lived in Kogi, Benue, Zamfara or Sokoto, before? Tell us, o! shocked Before you can come to that conclusion that poverty is more in Lagos than any of the other 36 states in Nigeria, you must have lived in many different places within the country. undecided

You also said: "a lot of people that are balling at Lagos are into rituals,crime,etc". sad How many people exactly do you know in Lagos that are into crime?? Lagos has over 15 million people residing within the state, so did you do a survey to arrive at this conclusion? I do not deny that there are criminal elements in Lagos. Heck, everyone cannot be a saint! But I still know many straight forward businessmen who do clean legit business, from catering supplies to construction, real estate, engineering, Infotech consultancy, diesel sales, clothes designing, auto garage maintenance, corporate training, agro-allied processing, fish farming etc., and are earning a successful living from it. So please speak for yourself, o! If you only know fraudsters and ritual killers, then you need to check yourself to ask why this is so. undecided

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by superstar1(m): 10:31pm On Oct 29, 2017
Thank God i have repented.

If I reply this Op from the land of gully erosion where the 2 cesspits of Aba and Onitsha are located now, he will rush to the MODs again for them to ban me.

Why are Igbos obsessed with OUR Lagos? Dem use Lagos swear for u na. Yoruba i now the official language of Lagos State, Deal with it!!!

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by MyNewJackeT: 10:34pm On Oct 29, 2017
one thing is certain, there's poverty everywhere, apart from few places. but when people bring up statistics and news sources to tell us that their state is better than soso state then I have a problem with that.

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by MyNewJackeT: 10:36pm On Oct 29, 2017
superstar1:

If I reply this Op from the land of gully erosion where the 2 cesspits of Aba and Onitsha are located now, he will rush to the MODs again for them to ban me.

Why are Igbos obsessed with OUR Lagos? Dem use Lagos swear for u na. Yoruba i now the official language of Lagos State, Deal with it!!!

erosion is natural, it's nature, we are talking about man made poverty based on selfishness and wastage, and lack of planning

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Ofemannnu: 10:37pm On Oct 29, 2017
PierreDeFermath:
op,I'm Yoruba but I am not always biased. I don't know about other Yoruba States than Lagos and Kwara. But I can say that poverty is more prevalent in Lagos than any state in Nigeria,also,the standard of living is high and most people that earn averagely spend it,they live from hand to mouth,the poor and destitute live in slums,there is a saying in Yoruba which says "Owo Eko,Eko lon gbe" which means that any money you make in Lagos lives at Lagos,you can't have savings,make money in Lagos and bring the money down to your village,you would spend it at Lagos. a lot of people that are balling at Lagos are into rituals,crime,etc. about Kwara,Kwara is still easier to live in than Lagos because the standard of living is low and you live in decent apartments . the highest apartments for rent in Kwara is around 500k per apartment or low per year in GRA which is the same area people like Saraki,Tunde Idiagbon,Adisa,Shiaba Lafiaji and many leaders in Ilorin live. I lived in GRA for 4 years when I was in secondary school and it's a nice area and you can even rent a room for around 100k or lower per year. There are many places in Ilorin that are as nice too. there is no segregation like it is in Lagos,even my mechanic lives in GRA,its not like some over hyped places in Lagos like Banana island where only a rich few can live in. Lagos has too many poor and destitute people and has many rich people as well

cannibal

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by superstar1(m): 10:38pm On Oct 29, 2017
MyNewJackeT:

erosion is natural, it's nature, we are talking about man made poverty based on selfishness and wastage, and lack of planning

See another deluded brain suffering from red mud tainted thinking.

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by laudate: 10:39pm On Oct 29, 2017
superstar1:

Oh no, stop it!! shocked E don do! Una no go take laugh kill person for here...! cheesy

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by PierreDeFermath(m): 11:09pm On Oct 29, 2017
laudate:

Oga, how many states have you lived in apart from Lagos and Kwara that led you to conclude that "poverty is more prevalent in Lagos than any state in Nigeria?" Have you lived in Kogi, Benue, Zamfara or Sokoto, before? Tell us, o! shocked Before you can come to that conclusion that poverty is more in Lagos than any of the other 36 states in Nigeria, you must have lived in many different places within the country. undecided

You also said: "a lot of people that are balling at Lagos are into rituals,crime,etc". sad How many people exactly do you know in Lagos that are into crime?? Lagos has over 15 million people residing within the state, so did you do a survey to arrive at this conclusion? I do not deny that there are criminal elements in Lagos. Heck, everyone cannot be a saint! But I still know many straight forward businessmen who do clean legit business, from catering supplies to construction, real estate, engineering, Infotech consultancy, diesel sales, clothes designing, auto garage maintenance, corporate training, agro-allied processing, fish farming etc., and are earning a successful living from it. So please speak for yourself, o! If you only know fraudsters and ritual killers, then you need to check yourself to ask why this is so. undecided
I know many people that do some of those businesses you listed above in Lagos but doing shady stuffs and rituals below. some people make money legit o but a lot of people just use legit biz to cover up and do dark stuff underneath. mind you,every ritualist is a business man cos they have what they use to cover up,
Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by laudate: 11:13pm On Oct 29, 2017
PierreDeFermath:
I know many people that do some of those businesses you listed above in Lagos but doing shady stuffs and rituals below. some people make money legit o but a lot of people just use legit biz to cover up and do dark stuff underneath. mind you,every ritualist is a business man cos they have what they use to cover up,
Oga, what is the proportion of people doing shady stuff under their legitimate business? shocked How many do you know? There are over 15 million people in Lagos. Is it all of them doing shady dark stuff underneath their legit business? Why do you like exaggerating like this? And how come all the people you know in Lagos are doing dark stuff underneath their legit business?? shocked There is a proverb that says: "Show me your friends, and I will show you who you are!" Why don't you think before you talk??

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by hornyofife: 12:08am On Oct 30, 2017
laudate:

Na wa for you, o! shocked When you were listing out Orile, Agege, Ajegunle, Ijora Badia, Bariga, Shomolu, Okokomaiko etc, you forgot to tell everyone that the largest number of residents in those places come from the Southeast and South-South, with some Northerners thrown into the mix, especially in Ilasa. sad

If you had included areas like Ikoyi, Victoria Island, Lekki, Ogudu, Magodo, Ikeja GRA, Apapa GRA, old Yaba, Gbagada, Surulere, Alaka, Ilupeju, Palmgrove Housing Estate, Obanikoro, Onikan, Ire Akari, Ajao Estate etc, then everyone would have felt you were trying to present a balanced picture, instead of the biased, jaundiced view you are propagating here. Anyway, I don't blame you.... you were obviously raised in those slums, that is why you are so familiar with them. undecided

For your information, people in Lagos do criticise and attack the LASG. Where were you when Ebun Adegboruwa took LASG to court for tolling Lekki-Epe expressway and Lekki-Ikoyi bridge? Where were you when Eko Hotel and other business owners took LASG to court over the imposition of sales tax and VAT? Do you know how many lawsuits against the LASG are currently in the law courts? The difference is that the LASG authorities have performed relatively well in comparison to other state govts, and that is why the criticism is not as loud as those of other states. Go figure! sad

Tomorrow now, if they tell you Igbos are more than Yorubas in Lagos,you will be the first to cry foul...all the places you listed are still dominated by Igbo's residence, then add the places the op listed which you as well in your words claim are also dominated by people from the se and ss. If Igbo/ss dominate these areas, where then do yorubas dominate.

We still have festac,amuwo odofin,satellite town,okota, ejigbo, buknor, mile 2, apapa, maza maza,vox, okoko, gbagada, ajao estate, igando, isherin ...all this places are Igbo dominated. Am sure you know that too.

Ikeja and surulere can be said to be shared

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by laudate: 12:12am On Oct 30, 2017
hornyofife:
Tomorrow now, if they tell you Igbos are more than Yorubas in Lagos,you will be the first to cry foul...all the places you listed are still dominated by Igbo's residence, then add the places the op listed which you as well in your words claim are also dominated by people from the se and ss. If Igbo/ss dominate these areas, where then do yorubas dominate.

We still have festac,amuwo odofin,satellite town,okota, ejigbo, buknor, mile 2, apapa, maza maza,vox, okoko, gbagada, ajao estate...all this places are Igbo dominated. Am sure you know that too.

Ikeja and surulere can be said to be shared
The Igbos only dominate the slums and ghettos of Lagos. undecided There are several other districts still remaining in Lagos, where the Igbo do not have any significant presence, to speak of. You chaps are so fond of Lagos, that you refuse to develop your areas in the SE before running to Lagos. It is okay. Everyone understands that many of you cannot make a headway in life, unless you come to Lagos. That is the way it has been written.

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by deomelo: 12:14am On Oct 30, 2017
profmiganigal:

U need to go back to university because u learn nothing

What kind of people leave the comfort of their own beautiful and better environment in beautiful anambra to suffer and leave in slums like LAGOS? Why must millions of your people leave your anambra paradise to leave in slums? grin

Are you slum loving and slum happy? grin

World go collapse and pigs go fly when you delusional ipob villagers begin make sense. grin grin

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Sammy07: 12:16am On Oct 30, 2017
lol, nairaland igbos are the most stupid, foolish and idiot people here..

Now tell me

If Lagos, Ogun, oyo, ondo, Osun, Ekiti
Are backwards while will other tribes be going their to survive instead of staying in their oil rich region...

UK and US are racist counties
Why are Nigerias still going there to make it

Indians don't Like Africans
Why are Africans going there to make it

South Africa are xenophobia
Still yet, troops of Nigeria are going there to make it..

Why are there many Nigerians in Canada...

Now igbos idiots, how many people of the countries above are in Nigeria?

If their economy/region are bad, why shouldn't we be seeing them in Nigeria or other countries...

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Sammy07: 12:17am On Oct 30, 2017
I'll continue to give this Igbos and nairaland igbos idiots hard time

Till they acknowledge the truth??

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Sammy07: 12:23am On Oct 30, 2017
If Hausa pasture & weather is nice, why should they leave their region...

If igbos erosion land is okay, and making it in east is okay why should they be going to other regions

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Sammy07: 12:26am On Oct 30, 2017
The ☀ Sun , should have rised from the west,

Because West gave knowledge, living to other regions

You make it in West first..

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Sammy07: 12:42am On Oct 30, 2017
deomelo:

What kind of people leave the comfort of their own beautiful and better environment in beautiful anambra to suffer and leave in slums like LAGOS? Why must millions of your people leave your anambra paradise to leave in slums? grin

Are you slum loving and slum happy? grin

World go collapse and pigs go fly when you delusional ipob villagers begin make sense.

� lol, those words got me � laughing since

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by hornyofife: 1:40am On Oct 30, 2017
Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Gracebae(f): 6:02am On Oct 30, 2017
1wolex85:

Did this guy just say there are more high rise residential buildings in Anambra compared to Lagos? chai! wonders shall never end

I suggest its better to do more research on that..personally, I won't speak for anambra but as someone who grew up in the east generally(port Harcourt to be specific) I can confidently tell you that south east has the highest concentration of multistorey residential building if not in sub Saharan Africa, then west Africa.,with Anambra,Enugu and Abia leading the park.

This is Onitsha in anambra

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Gracebae(f): 6:12am On Oct 30, 2017
It is common knowledge that having a high population density with limited land space, people will naturally develop their properties intensively. Similar pattern has been adopted even in Lagos especially in Igbo dominated areas of lagos and even outside Igbo dominated areas, if you check most landlords who owns most of the multi storey buildings,they are usually Igbos. A developmental practice they imported from the east.

In fact,some Yoruba developers will tell you igbos taught us how to build storey buildings. And the new practice now in the absence of space/land. Some igbos go into agreement with stubborn Yoruba landlords who refuse to sell their house for redevelopment. The igbos go into agreement with them to let them fall the old house, rebuild it to multistorey, afterwards the down floor or topmost floor is given to the Yoruba landlord as the cos of land. Hence the Yoruba landlord has no say on the other stories, in the building.

Am a practitioner in the estate management and development field and also studied estate management. So yes, I can speak with authority on such issues.

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Gracebae(f): 6:15am On Oct 30, 2017
Just take note of their property development pattern.

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by deomelo: 6:17am On Oct 30, 2017
lol @ ipob village police barracks looking houses like concrete jungle.... grin

Igbos fit take the dumbest rubbish best chest Sha.. grin

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Gracebae(f): 6:20am On Oct 30, 2017
This is Enugu residential property development pattern for middle class/ low class

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Gracebae(f): 6:22am On Oct 30, 2017
More of enugu multi storey residential pattern

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Gracebae(f): 6:26am On Oct 30, 2017
This is enugu

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Gracebae(f): 6:28am On Oct 30, 2017
Aba too has similar pattern

Ignore the Igbos and check the building patterns

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Nigeria Deports Cameroonian Separatist Leaders / Akeredolu Reacts to Kayode Ogundamisi's Tweet As "Unwise" For Saying This / Ifeanyi Ejiofor Seeks Pardon For Detained IPOB Members, Writes FG

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69