Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,075 members, 7,811,015 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:46 PM

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? - Foreign Affairs (1993) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? (4429970 Views)

Iran Vs Israel: Who Has The Strongest Military ? / Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1990) (1991) (1992) (1993) (1994) (1995) (1996) ... (2991) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 4:12pm On Apr 02, 2015
EVarn:
Why do you say that?,werent the T-62s commissioned in the 1960s,surely the T-72 is a more upgraded version of the T-62.

Patches is deceiving you big time, he is loading you with wrong information !

You want a South African man to tell you a Nigerian T-72 tank is good?

It's like asking Asari Dokubo if Buhari is good gringrin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 4:27pm On Apr 02, 2015
EVarn:
@oga agaugust,abeg no vex say i dey disturb you this afternoon,but i want to ask if you or anyone else here know the number of T-72 tanks we recieved recently,and where they are from.
The new delivery seem to have ERA on it,unlike some of the earlier ones from czech.

Bros I will reply you after work, today work plenty for office because tomorrow na Easter holiday, oga just dey load person with overwork because we no go come work tomorrow....see him oyinbo long nose like cobra snake...de man no kuku sabi pidgin make I continue dey abuse am....hehehehe....if de man catch me hey, na deport to airport cheesycheesy

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by EVarn(m): 4:27pm On Apr 02, 2015
patches689:
Yes,the T72 is newer
But that is because the Russians found the T62 too expensive to mass produce and operate
So they developed a plan
The majority of their armored units would be "mobility" formations using the T72 which is cheaper to mass produce and operate
They would then have a select few,elite,"spearhead" units which would operate the T62
Mobility units would wear the enemy down (and take the heavyest casualties) and then spearhead units would punch holes in the enemy lines which mobility units would pour through and try to exploit the breakthrough as much as possible(again taking heavy casualties)
Basically,economically,the T72 is better.But as a tank the T62 is better
FYI the T80 evolved from the T62 not the T72
But the T-72 has a more upgraded 125mm gun,compared to the T-62's 115mm.
Also,the T65 can only discharge a limited 40 round of ammo.
Over 20,000 T72 MBTs were produced,as against 23,000 T62: this doesnt suggest that the T62 was not "mass produced".
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by charlos14: 4:36pm On Apr 02, 2015
EVarn:
@chief agaugust,i'm a bit more interested in the new military hardware acquisition by the DHQ,is the T-72 MBT as potent in coventional warfare as it is in COIN operations?.I'm curious since there have been convincing reports that despite its ruggedness,the T-72 is a useless relic when it comes to conventional warfare.
Against the south Africans who can't shoot, It will be a disaster for them to even try to fight.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by EVarn(m): 4:39pm On Apr 02, 2015
agaugust:
Bros I will reply you after work, today work plenty for office because tomorrow na Easter holiday, oga just dey load person with overwork because we no go come work tomorrow....see him oyinbo long nose like cobra snake...de man no kuku sabi pidgin make I continue dey abuse am....hehehehe....if de man catch me hey, na deport to airport cheesycheesy
hehe..na so all of dem dey do,if dey see black man like dis,na so so work dem go dey heap for im head....though i no blame dem sha,if u see the oyinbos wey dey work under nigerian oga,you go laugh.dey go dey shake like leaf wen oga enter office..hehehehe
i hear you oga mi,eagerly awaiting your reply.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by saengine: 4:44pm On Apr 02, 2015
charlos14:

Against the south Africans who can't shoot, It will be a disaster for them to even try to fight.

Yeah. You'll be nice and safe inside the tank. No need to worry.

Ratel IFV fires Ingwe anti tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo6_emb8abM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t58VFhCvgw

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by EVarn(m): 4:45pm On Apr 02, 2015
agaugust:

lol.abi na,i just wanted to hear both the advantages and disadvanges of the T72 MBT,and what better place to hear about the disadvantages of the T72 than from a rival south african?
I will form my opinion when i analyse all available reports.

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by EVarn(m): 4:53pm On Apr 02, 2015
charlos14:

lol.they could fire at a mikano mega power generator simply because it resembles a tank from afar{due to its long large exhaust}.
anyway,i doubt that the oliphant is that useless eh...

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 5:12pm On Apr 02, 2015
charlos14:

SO FAR IT HAD NEVER BEEN CONFIRMED WHICH AMONG THE TWO NAVIES ( SA NAVY OR GERMAN NAVY) SCARED THE FISHER MEN. YET IT IS POSITIVELY THOUGHT THE SHOTS WERE MERELY INTENDED TO SCARE THE FISHERMEN RATHER THAN TO SHOOT THEM.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Apr 02, 2015
patches689:

Always happy to have a mature discussion about military equipment.

Anyway, another thing is that the T62 is actually a better tank than the T-72. So there is that as well.
Uhm......you probably meant the T64?

The T62 is just an upgrade from a T55, were as the T64 is basically a whole new tank, with better armor and a 125mm gun compared to the T62's 115mm Gun.

As for the T64 vs T72 argument, i still prefer the T72 above the T64, yes the T64 was a better quality tank but as you mentioned the T64 was very expensive to manufacture and maintain, thus the T 72 was developed with almost the same performance but at the fraction of the price.

But the monumental design flaw which the T64 had was the fact that the projectile and a propellant charges were stored vertically on one level were as the T72 the projectile and a propellant charges were stored horizontally on two levels, thus the chances of the turret being blown of after a hit, were much much higher in a T64.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by EVarn(m): 5:24pm On Apr 02, 2015
Msauza:

SO FAR IT HAD NEVER BEEN CONFIRMED WHICH AMONG THE TWO NAVIES ( SA NAVY OR GERMAN NAVY) SCARED THE FISHER MEN. YET IT IS POSITIVELY THOUGHT THE SHOTS WERE MERELY INTENDED TO SCARE THE FISHERMEN RATHER THAN TO SHOOT THEM.
Why would you want to scare innocent fishermen who were only out to work for their daily bread?,are you guys sadists?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Apr 02, 2015
EVarn:
But the T-72 has a more upgraded 125mm gun,compared to the T-62's 115mm.
Also,the T65 can only discharge a limited 40 round of ammo.
Over 20,000 T72 MBTs were produced,as against 23,000 T62: this doesnt suggest that the T62 was not "mass produced".
Think Patch meant the T64 and not the T62 mate! wink
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by EVarn(m): 5:37pm On Apr 02, 2015
jln115:

Think Patch meant the T64 and not the T62 mate! wink
ah...perhaps,yes,the T64 fits his{@patches} description of the T62.it was the T64 whose production was halted due to its production cost,fuel consumption,engine problems and weight.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 6:14pm On Apr 02, 2015
EVarn:
Why would you want to scare innocent fishermen who were only out to work for their daily bread?,are you guys sadists?

Warships are fitted with binoculars which are able to see ships from miles away. It could be that the fisher men met with some nasty military men who wanted to kick the hearts out of their bodies. Clearly, you could see that those shots were deliberately adjusted to hit just only few metres away from the vessel. Cape algahas is free from pirates and there is clearly no possibility that navy ships would ever intent to shoot ships in that area.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by EVarn(m): 6:20pm On Apr 02, 2015
Msauza:

Warships are fitted with binoculars which are able to see ships from miles away. It could be that the fisher men met with some nasty military men who wanted to kick the hearts out of their bodies. Clearly, you could see that those shots were deliberately adjusted to hit just only few metres away from the vessel. Cape algahas is free from pirates and there is clearly no possibility that navy ships would ever intent to shoot ships in that area.
thank you for confirming that your military men are sadists.
Also,perhaps the fishermen were black and the captain of the warship was white,or vice versa.racial intolerance at its peak.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 7:47pm On Apr 02, 2015
The current t72 are better than the T64. Of course the role that the T64 does is now being done by the T80 so the T72 was just upgraded more and than the T64.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 7:57pm On Apr 02, 2015
EVarn:

Because they enters a restricted area.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by lezz(m): 8:29pm On Apr 02, 2015
andrewza:

Thank God they were spared by your sheer incompetence.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by NaijaPikinGidi: 8:51pm On Apr 02, 2015
EVarn:
If only president jonathan is as tough,resolute and ambitious as buhari is,i would have voted for him a hundred times over.
But he happens to be a timid man,so buhari is the evil we must endure - for a short while of course,until there is a much more suitable replacement.

Take this thing put for another thread.
Person wey wear tight sokoto take climb Wall suppose know say when the sokoto tear, people no go bother about your wall climbing skill. Na your nyash dem go dey laugh.

Abeg free our able C-In-C. No be every person go understand wetin don happen! But eye go clear una sooner or later.

cool cool cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 8:52pm On Apr 02, 2015
lezz:
Thank God they were spared by your sheer incompetence.

Something to take In to account. If we want them dead it would of been so. A 76mm he firing air burst us leathal even at 20m.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by NaijaPikinGidi: 9:02pm On Apr 02, 2015
agaugust:
I may no longer comment so much on Nigerian matters.

Has Nigeria become a two-party sate? 180 million Nigerians must either accept Buhari or Jonathan by force ? No other options?

A dangerous precedent has been set....If a southern christian becomes president of Nigeria, the north will create Boko Haram war to make him look bad and destroy his government, then replace him with a northerner that looks good. So when a northern muslim becomes president and the southern christians want to pay them back in their own coin and retaliate, what will happen ? Vicious cycle and recycle ?

http://dailypost.ng/2015/04/01/buharis-victory-asari-dokubo-threatens-return-to-the-creeks/

I will advice Buhari to start begging Niger Delta and apologize for saying if he does not win elections there will be bloodshed all over Nigeria....because yes, there was blood shed of over 6,000 innocent civilians in Boko Haram war 2013 to 2015.....after he lost in 2011.

http://www.punchng.com/news/buhari-under-fire-over-threat-of-bloodshed/

Any how dem like make dem rule naija, me I no kuku dey house, my journey far....nothing go do me grin grin

Make una leave this talk for different thread. No need to dey show we nyash.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by jpphilips(m): 9:03pm On Apr 02, 2015
lezz:
He is an itinerant internet troll-magnet looking for attention he lacked as a kid.

What you fail to understand is that our audience is big enough to discern who the m0r0n is, need I say more?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by lezz(m): 9:26pm On Apr 02, 2015
jpphilips:

What you fail to understand is that our audience is big enough to discern who the m0r0n is, need I say more?
nope son, what is clear to everyone is that you have managed to be a consistent thread-to-thread nuisance in nairaland.

You desire to force down mediocrity on nairalanders .you have to earn your right of place here with honest facts
That's something that seems beyond your capabilities.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 10:32pm On Apr 02, 2015
NaijaPikinGidi:

Make una leave this talk for different thread. No need to dey show we nyash.

100% right oga mi. Roger dat sir. D tin pain me pass head butt, comot blood from my nose, na him make I talk....but as u rightly say, make we end d tory. Na prayer make we take commit everything 4 de hand of Baba God to take care.

I salute chief !
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by patches689: 3:14am On Apr 03, 2015
agaugust:

If South Africa used the T72 I would still tell you it is a bad tank.

Thing is, for Nigeria and west Africa, the T72 is an ok tank

But its not good, its not exceptional and its not a dynasty platform
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by patches689: 3:18am On Apr 03, 2015
jln115:

Uhm......you probably meant the T64?

The T62 is just an upgrade from a T55, were as the T64 is basically a whole new tank, with better armor and a 125mm gun compared to the T62's 115mm Gun.

As for the T64 vs T72 argument, i still prefer the T72 above the T64, yes the T64 was a better quality tank but as you mentioned the T64 was very expensive to manufacture and maintain, thus the T 72 was developed with almost the same performance but at the fraction of the price.

But the monumental design flaw which the T64 had was the fact that the projectile and a propellant charges were stored vertically on one level were as the T72 the projectile and a propellant charges were stored horizontally on two levels, thus the chances of the turret being blown of after a hit, were much much higher in a T64.

yeah, t64 sorry - i often make that mistake.

Russian tank family tree below

What they dont show you is that T80 is from the t64 and the t90 from the t72

The new russian MBT (Armata i think)is from a completely new line - Genesis if you will.

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by patches689: 9:15am On Apr 03, 2015
agaugust:

This coming from the man who thinks that MBTs float and who doesnt know what the breech of a gun is?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 9:15am On Apr 03, 2015
patches689:

The new russian MBT (Armata i think)is from a completely new line - Genesis if you will.

It would be a shame if after the hype, Armata comes out no better than the Leo 2A. I expect the Armata to be miles ahead of the 2A.

The T-72AV is good enough for the challenges Nigeria currently faces and would face in the next 5-10 years. The AV's come with more modern FCS and generally digitised/up-graded.

What I think is consequential is additional modern IFV's. Not MBTs.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 9:18am On Apr 03, 2015
patches689:

The T90 is a T72b with the system and upgrades of a T80u.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 9:27am On Apr 03, 2015
Henry120:

It would be a shame if after the hype, Armata comes out no better than the Leo 2A. I expect the Armata to be miles ahead of the 2A.

The T-72AV is good enough for the challenges Nigeria currently faces and would face in the next 5-10 years. The AV's come with more modern FCS and generally digitised/up-graded.

What I think is consequential is additional modern IFV's. Not MBTs.

Many projects flop so the armata could join them. Look at the F22. It is a faluir as a weapons program. Build in to small a numbers to make a diffrence. The pCS flopped to due to being over priced OPVs the Stryker was made out to be the next gen of PAC but it is just a mowaag. So yes the Amata could flop like the USA Bradley and Amtrak replacement projects.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by EVarn(m): 10:21am On Apr 03, 2015
andrewza:

is there any restricted zone on cape algahas?.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 10:33am On Apr 03, 2015
EVarn:
is there any restricted zone on cape algahas?.

Several but in this case it was created for the exersice. The navy can create a restricted area in where if we need to.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1990) (1991) (1992) (1993) (1994) (1995) (1996) ... (2991) (Reply)

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.