Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,093 members, 7,814,822 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:26 PM

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? - Foreign Affairs (2358) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? (4434052 Views)

Iran Vs Israel: Who Has The Strongest Military ? / Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2355) (2356) (2357) (2358) (2359) (2360) (2361) ... (2991) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by patches689: 2:41pm On Jun 30, 2015
AugustineAgain:

Nope, the source says :

"It entered service with South African National Defense Forces in 1991. About 44 vehicles were upgraded to the Mk.1B standard."

All that was ever upgraded is 44 units total, date of completing the upgrade is irrelevant, you have ONLY 44, finish !

LIAR LAIR PANTS ON FIRE grin

Olifant Mark IB Main Battle Tank in beige livery. Production estimates are ranging from 172 to 224 or even 250.
http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/coldwar/South_Africa/Olifant_MkI.php
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by AugustineAgain: 2:42pm On Jun 30, 2015
patches689:

[size=16pt]#EXPOSED[/size]

# 44 tanks ONLY....EXPOSED grin
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by patches689: 2:43pm On Jun 30, 2015
AugustineAgain:

#44 UNITS ONLY....EXPOSED grin

Olifant Mark IB Main Battle Tank in beige livery. Production estimates are ranging from 172 to 224 or even 250.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by lezz(m): 2:44pm On Jun 30, 2015
mzilakazi:

LEZZ you are the biggest fool I have ever met on nairaland. Should there be that award I will nominate you right away.
no one has dealt you a nastier punch in your entire Nairaland sojourn but lezz. I have outclassed you in all logical debate and out-troll you as well.

You're a typical Zulu devoid of logical argument grin

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jun 30, 2015
EVarn:
Proforce is indeed a leading defence company in Nigeria,I already guessed that proforce is the company building the MRAP but i had to be sure,before i go out there to boast..hehehehe... Designing an IFV?!,No offence oga mi,but are you certain about your sources?
I expected progress,but this is almost extraordinary!
If proforce is already designing an IFV within such a short time,then we should be expecting our first indigenous IFV in a few years time.
Do you know the plausible components and operational capacity of the proposed ARA MRAP?

Yes, absolutely certain. The CEO of Proforce made revelation 2 years ago in a news article. He said the vehicle should be ready in 5 years time, this was 2 years ago.

Excerpt there have been delays or setbacks not known to the public, the design of the vehicle is still on track.

The components of the ARA MRAP is still unknown, as you can see from the photos, it is still in early stages of development, so nothing yet. Hopefully before the end of the year we would have known enough to make a credible assessment. Although from the shape of the hull it does look like something similar to an Otokar Cobra or Textron commando.

However, I do believe that components from Plasan group would be added. The CEO of Plasan visited Proforce facility a couple months back.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 2:48pm On Jun 30, 2015
patches689:

What message?

How does a picture of a vehicle in UN colors prove anything?

The LAPV is an employee of the UN!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by patches689: 2:49pm On Jun 30, 2015
Henry240:

The LAPV is an employee of the UN!

So you exported it to whom?

I am not trying to be combative or argumentative.

I am just trying to figure out what you are saying...
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 2:49pm On Jun 30, 2015
patches689:

bullshit

Says our resident MUMU!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by patches689: 2:50pm On Jun 30, 2015
Henry240:

Says our resident MUMU!

Your government has said allot of things
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by AugustineAgain: 2:50pm On Jun 30, 2015
patches689:

Bwahahaahahaaa grin grin

Suicide source, it says :

"Olifant MK. 1B

Armour - Spaced RHA. No data available

Total Production 224"

Your own source says NOTHING about composite armour, it says you have 224 Olifants with RHA old school armour grin grin

Show us where it says 224 units with composite armour.....Oh no you cannot, you have NO PROOF, because they don't exist !

# 44 units only grin grin
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by patches689: 2:51pm On Jun 30, 2015
AugustineAgain:

[s]Bwahahaahahaaa grin grin

Suicide source, it says :

"Olifant MK. 1B

Armour - Spaced RHA. No data available

Total Production 224"

Your own source says NOTHING about composite armour, it says you have 224 Olifants with RHA old school armour grin grin

Show us where it says 224 units with composite armour.....Oh no you cannot, they don't exist !

# 44 units only[/s] grin grin

What do you think spaced RHA is?

Fact is:

There is nothing to argue about
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jun 30, 2015
mzilakazi:

So when is UN used vehicles an exported vehicles?

The vehicle is exported to a country involved in UN missions. It is basic common sense.

Similar to the RAM MK3 deal.

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by patches689: 2:54pm On Jun 30, 2015
Henry240:

The vehicle is exported to a country involved in UN missions. It is basic common sense.

So... its not possible that it is simply a nigerian variant in UN service?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 2:55pm On Jun 30, 2015
FighterPilot:

This one has clearly been built on the chassis of another vehicle.

How do you think APCs are built?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by patches689: 2:56pm On Jun 30, 2015
Henry240:

How do you think APCs are built?

Proper ones are generally 100% role specific designs
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by AugustineAgain: 3:01pm On Jun 30, 2015
patches689:

What do you think spaced RHA is?

You know NOTHING about tanks armour types

RHA is :

Rolled

Homogenous

Armour.

All materials are the same. Some tanks space them apart, and air is in between the steel to reduce impact of projectiles.

RHA is homogenous armour of same material, Composite is heterogenous armour of assorted materials mixed/enmeshed.

Composite armour does not use empty spaces, it fills up the space with assorted materials, like ceramics, glass, plastics.

Your source says NOTHING about composite materials, it says HOMOGENOUS materials of one type only.....old school armour grin grin

"It entered service with South African National Defense Forces in 1991. About 44 vehicles were upgraded to the Mk.1B standard."

http://www.military-today.com/tanks/olifant_mk1b.htm

# 44 tanks with composite armour ONLY 44 grin grin
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 3:05pm On Jun 30, 2015
FighterPilot:

There are special modern computerised machines like robots which does that job. With that method production will be very slow and here in SA even welders and boiler makers can do that without any challenges just by joining steel plates.

So what is computerised in this plant?

Dummy SAAF staff!!

3 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by patches689: 3:08pm On Jun 30, 2015
AugustineAgain:

Composite armour does not use empty spaces, it fills up the space with assorted materials, like ceramics, glass, plastics.

I know exactly what RHA is

I want to know what you think "spaced RHA" is

I have given you a clue as to what it is - you said it yourself

Production estimates are ranging from 172 to 224 or even 250.

The glacis plate and nose of the hull have been upgraded with the addition of passive armour and the turret has been fitted with stand-off armour.
http://www.army-technology.com/projects/olifant/

Anyway, Olifant Mk1B has ceramic and reactive armor. up to 250 were built.

There is nothing to discuss here - I am just watching you dig your hole deeper and deeper
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 3:13pm On Jun 30, 2015
patches689:

So... its not possible that it is simply a nigerian variant in UN service?

Yes, it is not. Nigerian Police UN vehicles are primarily from the Streit group.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 3:20pm On Jun 30, 2015
patches689:

Proper ones are generally 100% role specific designs

Why do you think it is called an LAPV?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by patches689: 3:23pm On Jun 30, 2015
Henry240:

Yes, it is not. Nigerian Police UN vehicles are primarily from the Streit group.

Yeah, well, until you have something more than a random picture of an Igugugug in white I remain unconvinced.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by patches689: 3:23pm On Jun 30, 2015
Henry240:

Why do you think it is called an LAPV?

One day its an MRAP... next an APC... now an LAPV?

Make your mind up
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jun 30, 2015
patches689:

Your government has said allot of things

Example?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by patches689: 3:25pm On Jun 30, 2015
Henry240:

Example?

Su30, Tucano, t80 et al

Stuff about satelights, high speed trains, nuclear power plants etc etc etc

I find it bizarre that after 2 years of development there is not even a shred of evidence (what is marketing?) to suggest it exists... apart from something some guy said sometime
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jun 30, 2015
patches689:

Su30, Tucano, t80 et al

I find it bizarre that after 2 years of development there is not even a shred of evidence (what is marketing?) to suggest it exists... apart from something some guy said sometime

So, the Nigerian government said those, can you please provide evidence?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by mzilakazi(m): 3:31pm On Jun 30, 2015
Henry240:

You don't make sense at all.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by patches689: 3:35pm On Jun 30, 2015
Henry240:

So, the Nigerian government said those, can you please provide evidence?

Consult Augustus's post history
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by EVarn(m): 3:43pm On Jun 30, 2015
Henry240:

Yes, absolutely certain. The CEO of Proforce made revelation 2 years ago in a news article. He said the vehicle should be ready in 5 years time, this was 2 years ago.
Excerpt there have been delays or setbacks not known to the public, the design of the vehicle is still on track.
The components of the ARA MRAP is still unknown, as you can see from the photos, it is still in early stages of development, so nothing yet. Hopefully before the end of the year we would have known enough to make a credible assessment. Although from the shape of the hull it does look like something similar to an Otokar Cobra or Textron commando.
However, I do believe that components from Plasan group would be added. The CEO of Plasan visited Proforce facility a couple months back.
If things go well,we should be expecting an IFV by 2020,and the ARA MRAP by 2018; I expect testing to take a year or two,then modifications.
Do you know anything about Innoson-Nigerian Military tank contract?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by mzilakazi(m): 3:59pm On Jun 30, 2015
NIGERIAN MILITARY ANALYSED BY STRENGTH.

NIGERIAN ARMED FORCES HAS STRENGTH OF 80 000

http://www.providingforpeacekeeping.org/2015/04/24/peacekeeping-contributor-profile-nigeria/
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by AugustineAgain: 4:00pm On Jun 30, 2015
patches689:

I know exactly what RHA is

I want to know what you think "spaced RHA" is

I have given you a clue as to what it is - you said it yourself

Production estimates are ranging from 172 to 224 or even 250.

The glacis plate and nose of the hull have been upgraded with the addition of passive armour and the turret has been fitted with stand-off armour.
http://www.army-technology.com/projects/olifant/

Anyway, Olifant Mk1B has ceramic and reactive armor. up to 250 were built.

There is nothing to discuss here - I am just watching you dig your hole deeper and deeper

Nope, you are the one sunk in a hole grin grin

I am the one who educated you about tank armour types, You NEVER knew the differences.

That's why you keep posting T-72 tank with RHA VS M1A1 Abrams tanks with composite armour, then you conclude the T-72 performed badly.

LOL....you pitched RHA against Composite armour, they belong to different generations wide apart, decades apart !

Why don't you pitch your Olifant MK 1A against same M1A1 Abrams tanks in battle and lets see how your Olifant performs when blasted !

Sources say SANDF has ONLY 44 units Olifant Mk. 1B and among the 44, some 26 selected for MK. 2 upgrade. TOTAL = 44 .

Show us a source that says SANDF has 224 to 250 units of Olifant tanks with COMPOSITE armour....I mean composite !

Show us now shocked shocked
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by charlos14: 4:00pm On Jun 30, 2015
FighterPilot:

There are special modern computerised machines like robots which does that job. With that method production will be very slow and here in SA even welders and boiler makers can do that without any challenges just by joining steel plates.
So you just proved me right. Those vehicles are still been fitted on an assembly floor. The computer is used to to design but humans fit everything in.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by EVarn(m): 4:03pm On Jun 30, 2015
patches689:

Su30, Tucano, t80 et al
Do you think our government are magicians?,these things take time; our railway projects have been mostly completed,the next phase is high speed trains and monorail projects.
Eko Atlantic City has been under construction for over a decade now,yet it hasnt been completed yet even though infrastructures and high-rises are still going up everyday.
As for nuclear power,sites have been selected for construction of two nuclear facilities
Our guys are in russia negotiating SU-27 and T80 mega deals.
Now,lets talk about your 20 years old project biro.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2355) (2356) (2357) (2358) (2359) (2360) (2361) ... (2991) (Reply)

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.