Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,465 members, 7,812,421 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:06 PM

I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! (75303 Views)

Anioma/Asaba People Are Not Igbo / Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others / Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by igboboy1(m): 8:49am On Mar 30, 2010
9jaganja:

I'm done talking to you after this. We are talking about Ikwerres. There are other extractions of Igbo even in the heart of Igbo land that have other names but know they are Igbos just like we have Ijebus etc,  Igbos have Ikwerres etc,  And the Igbo language comes in different dialects but with a central Igbo dialect just like there is a central Yoruba dialect. Your lack of understanding is really annoying!!!! Go to verbal war with other folks dude leave me alone.

ooo u don tire now? Ewu, I dont know why anything Igbo all u ofe mmanu go wan put una mouth join, Next time stay out of igbo bizness then I would leave you alone
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by RichyBlacK(m): 9:17am On Mar 30, 2010
9jaganja:
You suck dude really dude. Yakubu is not a Yoruba name and any Muslim can have that name.

Incomplete and potentially misleading. Christians can bear Arabic names! Gowon is not a Muslim! FLAW 1

Now, Rotimi is a Yoruba name and any Yoruba can also have that name. Now Amaechi's first name is Rotimi which is a Yoruba name. I'm not saying he is Yoruba, I'm saying Ikwerres have huge influence from Igbos but they also have influences from other tribes as well.

His full name is Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi (See 1 and 2). Easy to see that his first name is "Chibuike" and not "Rotimi", regardless of how he is popularly referred to. FLAW 2

The post above insinuates that because Mr. Amaechi's middle name is Rotimi, then Ikwerre's may have Yoruba influence. This an example of generalizing from a sample size of one. FLAW 3

If some's parent doesn't have any Yoruba influence, why would you name your child Rotimi?

Contextual meaning of "influence" is vague and so open to multiple interpretations. Specifically, the post does not differentiate between influence on a person and influence on a group. Some African Americans give their kids Swahili names, whereas there are no records of slaves shipped from Swahili-speaking parts of Africa (e.g. Kenya, Horn of Africa) from the Indian Ocean to America, during the trans-Atlantic slave-trade. What is the influence of Swahili on a West-African slave in Mississippi? FLAW 4

Muslims have influences from Arabs that's why they have arabic names.

Incomplete and potentially very misleading! Insinuates that Arabic names are exclusively reserved for Muslims. Christians can and do bear Arabic names. After all there are Arab Christians who have Arabic names! FLAW 5

Five flaws from a single post!

Don't have time to go through all your posts. Hope you get the drift!
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by igboboy1(m): 10:12am On Mar 30, 2010
RichyBlacK:

Incomplete and potentially misleading. Christians can bear Arabic names! Gowon is not a Muslim! FLAW 1

His full name is Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi (See 1 and 2). Easy to see that his first name is "Chibuike" and not "Rotimi", regardless of how he is popularly referred to. FLAW 2

The post above insinuates that because Mr. Amaechi's middle name is Rotimi, then Ikwerre's may have Yoruba influence. This an example of generalizing from a sample size of one. FLAW 3

Contextual meaning of "influence" is vague and so open to multiple interpretations. Specifically, the post does not differentiate between influence on a person and influence on a group. Some African Americans give their kids Swahili names, whereas there are no records of slaves shipped from Swahili-speaking parts of Africa (e.g. Kenya, Horn of Africa) from the Indian Ocean to America, during the trans-Atlantic slave-trade. What is the influence of Swahili on a West-African slave in Mississippi? FLAW 4

Incomplete and potentially very misleading! Insinuates that Arabic names are exclusively reserved for Muslims. Christians can and do bear Arabic names. After all there are Arab Christians who have Arabic names! FLAW 5

good job in exposing his daftness
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Abagworo(m): 10:24am On Mar 30, 2010
this topic is obviously tribal and should be moved there.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Afam4eva(m): 1:27pm On Mar 30, 2010
I've seen ignorance been displayed on this forum. How can someone say that Ikwerre has Yoruba influence simply because an ikwerre man had a yoruba middle and no his mother is not yoruba rather it is an adopted name just like Bayo of Big Brother Africa adopted the name even though he's delta Igbo.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Afam4eva(m): 1:32pm On Mar 30, 2010
Abagworo:

this topic is obviously tribal and should be moved there.

But it's also political.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Nobody: 4:53pm On Mar 30, 2010
RichyBlacK:

I give UP dudes. You still show lack of understanding!! Goodbye. Think whatever you want abeg!!

afam4eva:

I've seen ignorance been displayed on this forum. How can someone say that Ikwerre has Yoruba influence simply because an ikwerre man had a yoruba middle and no his mother is not yoruba rather it is an adopted name just like Bayo of Big Brother Africa adopted the name even though he's delta Igbo.

And another one!!!!
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by igboboy1(m): 5:01pm On Mar 30, 2010
9jaganja:

I give UP dudes. You still show lack of understanding!! Goodbye. Think whatever you want abeg!!

And another one!!!!

now ur arguments have been nullified and dejected its about time u give up, next time put ur mouth when the topic is ijebu deny odua or something like that
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by udezue(m): 5:18pm On Mar 30, 2010
9jaganja, lol u met the wrong crew. grin grin
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Arysexy(m): 2:03am On Mar 31, 2010
d guy taught this is anoda Yoruba thread where they argue blindlessly, he shuld come back! no be u say u be oga na why u dey run? Mkpi awusa!
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Kobojunkie: 2:11am On Mar 31, 2010
Eziachi

Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre!- By Okachikwu Dibia, Abuja.
« #118 on: March 29, 2010, 11:47 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As I had said before, it will be futile to argue with anybody that wants to deny his or her identity. As some one born in Port Harcourt before Biafra with Ikwerre mother and present Imo state dad, it would have been an abnormal for an Ikwerre person to say that he is not an Igbo man, including my dear mother. The whole non-sense started after the war.

However, it seem many people in Nigeria, find it very convenient or as a pass time to indulge in deciding who IGBO and who is not. When you hear persons like KOBOJUNKIE on this thread making such an argument, I want them to be consistent.
For example, many Yoruba (not all of them) will tell us that 1966 coup was an Igbo coup because they said at least their leader Kaduna Nzeogwu is an Igbo man and the same people will turn 360 degree later and said people of Nzeogwu’s town are no longer Igbo, why? The taboo word OIL is found at their backyard.
Or probably the day, an Ikwerre man or woman will be on the wrong side of life, like drug trafficking, if the same mob lining up, all of a sudden trying to extract the Ikwerre’s from their ancestry will not be the same/first people that will call them Igbo’s. That day, they will tell in reverse that if you have an Igbo name as surname and speak the language irrespective of dialect, that you are Igbo. I cannot wait!

So this is the inconsistent I am talking about, I do not give a jolt about whom you chose to group as Igbo person, but when you do, always maintain the same approach and not change whenever it is convenient. When Obasanjo/Ayo Irikife were doing their magic wonders in the 60s through their boundary adjustment commission, they knew exactly what they are doing ad one of their victims is the writer of this tripe Mr Dibua. I do pity him, because he is a victim, as well as an ignorant person.

I cannot wait for the day and Egba or Ijebu person will say that they are not Yoruba and how our Yoruba friend will react. Because I can still remember some of them making crass comment here, not doing the same when Olusola Saraki was telling us that his forefathers are Fulani, not so long ago. Where is the consistency?

I really don't get your argument at all. Are you saying IT HAS NEVER HAPPENED before in all of History? Or is this just one of your many attempts to put forth your many "IT IS SO SIMPLY BECAUSE I SAID SO" arguements?

My point is ethnicity, nationality have geographical borders, and those markers are movable. In times past, people have moved it, and it all started somewhere. So yes, an Ibo group can decide to cut away from the main to create their own ethnic border somewhere else. In time, we might come to know them by the new and not even the old. Look into the history of those you now know as Hausa's to learn quite about this, and how those we know today as Hausa people, were not always hausa people or even from the north of Nigeria.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by riversman: 3:13am On Mar 31, 2010
get a life yall

[size=21pt]IKWERRE[/size] aint IBO abi na IGBO

[size=18pt]long live all the IKWERRE YOUTHS of NIGER DELTA, [/size]

[size=30pt]Owiala Wey, Ikwerre A'meka [/size]
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by udezue(m): 3:26am On Mar 31, 2010
Riversman, naw u get a life. Anuofia. Ikwerre abughi Igbo ma gi na su Igbo. Obughi "wey" obu "we". Ewu awusa.
Ndi Ikwerre siri na ha bu Igbo ekwugo okwu. Mechie onu nsi ki. Eyim nwanyi wu Ikwerre na Eche. Ndi beya na ekwu na fa bu Igbo kpomkwem
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by riversman: 3:31am On Mar 31, 2010
udezue - me le ham bram bra,

[size=30pt]IKWERRE for laif, dont hate cos ur yansh no get LAND and CRUDEOIL[/size]

[size=21pt]Flh[b]uck[/b] off[/size] grin grin grin cheesy
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by udezue(m): 4:19am On Mar 31, 2010
Riversman, how LOW CAN U GO? OILLLL? Cheiiiiiii Eberem na emere ki. Chiokike zokwa ki maka na i nwuru anwu. Ozu mmuooo.

Oil enwere na Imo, Anambra, Abia, Delta, Akwaibom ka iji etu onu? What is in oil? What has oil done for the average Ikwerre-Igbo man? Quit being a lazy fool and stop sniffing oil fumes. If oil determines the ethnic identity of our people then we are trully finished.

U are a disgrace. No atom of intelligence coz if u had 1 you'll know that oil is not the issue.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by EzeUche(m): 6:38am On Mar 31, 2010
These SABOTEURS must be dealt with!

The foolish Ikwerre who have forsaken their Igbo identity will not be forgotten. We are keepings notes on these individuals when this country is finally divided. They shall be found and that will be the end.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by ow11(m): 9:34am On Mar 31, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I really don't get your argument at all. Are you saying IT HAS NEVER HAPPENED before in all of History? Or is this just one of your many attempts to put forth your many "IT IS SO SIMPLY BECAUSE I SAID SO" arguements?

My point is ethnicity, nationality have geographical borders, and those markers are movable. In times past, people have moved it, and it all started somewhere. So yes, an Ibo group can decide to cut away from the main to create their own ethnic border somewhere else. In time, we might come to know them by the new and not even the old. Look into the history of those you now know as Hausa's to learn quite about this, and how those we know today as Hausa people, were not always hausa people or even from the north of Nigeria.

Very True. . .Except maybe Eziachi can let us know when the first Igbo homo sapien sapien evolved with proof that he was born somewhere in present day SE/SS Nigeria or if he is a Christian whether Noah was Igbo.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Godslover: 9:59am On Mar 31, 2010
RIVERS BOY COUNT ME OUT OF NON IBO IKWERRE, AM AN IGBO MAN PLEASE, I WENT TO MEDICAL SCHOOL AT UNIPORT AND I HAVE HAD THE CHANCE TO TALK ABOUT THIS WHOLE THING WITH SOME PEOPLE, WONODI OUR UNIVERSITY REGISTRAR TOLD ME IT IS ALL ABOUT OIL POLITICS, MY FATHER TOLD ME AM AN IGBO MAN AND AM READY TO DIE BECOS OF THAT, LET THOSE OF YOU WHO WANTS TO BE ANYTHING ELSE CONTINUE, THE OIL IS A NON RENEWABLE RESOURCES AND WILL SOON FINISH, THE FATE OF SARO WIWA IS ENOUGH FOR THE WISE

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by RichyBlacK(m): 9:07pm On Mar 31, 2010
Godslover:

RIVERS BOY COUNT ME OUT OF NON IBO IKWERRE, AM AN IGBO MAN PLEASE, I WENT TO MEDICAL SCHOOL AT UNIPORT AND I HAVE HAD THE CHANCE TO TALK ABOUT THIS WHOLE THING WITH SOME PEOPLE, WONODI OUR UNIVERSITY REGISTRAR TOLD ME IT IS ALL ABOUT OIL POLITICS, MY FATHER TOLD ME AM AN IGBO MAN AND AM READY TO DIE BECOS OF THAT, LET THOSE OF YOU WHO WANTS TO BE ANYTHING ELSE CONTINUE, THE OIL IS A NON RENEWABLE RESOURCES AND WILL SOON FINISH, THE FATE OF SARO WIWA IS ENOUGH FOR THE WISE

Thanks for being true to yourself and not allowing the weak anti-Igbo strategies of Gowon, dividing Ndi-Igbo by geography, to succeed.

It's folks like riversman that perpetuate ignorance.

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by shotster50(m): 2:25am On Apr 01, 2010
I dont see why you should get all hecked up about Riversman. He is a shyte stirrer, who once in a while ( i use this word loosely) makes intelligent comments. He simply loves all this attention.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Arysexy(m): 5:53am On Apr 01, 2010
@ RIVERSMAN, an igbo proverb says that 'nwata bulie nna ya elu ogodo ayochie ya anya' u are an ignorant man or non ikwere claiming one simply to cause confusion here. true ikweere sons and daughters have made d point known that they are IGBO, u may go hit ya big head for OLUMO rock or jump enter lagoon if u think otherwise, u are not igbo but u speak igbo and bear igbo name and ikwere as a name ain't igbo too? i pity u!
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by zebra(m): 6:02am On Apr 01, 2010
Arysexy:

@ RIVERSMAN, an igbo proverb says that 'nwata bulie nna ya elu ogodo ayochie ya anya' u are an ignorant man or non ikwere claiming one simply to cause confusion here. true ikweere sons and daughters have made d point known that they are IGBO, u may go hit ya big head for OLUMO rock or jump enter lagoon if u think otherwise, u are not igbo but u speak igbo and bear igbo name and ikwere as a name ain't igbo too? i pity u!

gwari, zuru, nupe, kataf, jukun and others in the north speak hausa and bear hausa names. infact hausa language is the means of communication among the minority groups in the north; does that automatically make them hausa?
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Abagworo(m): 7:02am On Apr 01, 2010
this ikwerre issue has been argued over and over again.what people fail to understand is that ikwerre has no separate language.igbo is not a 2nd language to an ikwerre.it is his only language.igbos can never say okrika,ogoni or kalabari is igbo even though most of them speak igbo as a 2nd language.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by zebra(m): 7:17am On Apr 01, 2010
Abagworo:

this ikwerre issue has been argued over and over again.what people fail to understand is that ikwerre has no separate language.igbo is not a 2nd language to an ikwerre.it is his only language.igbos can never say okrika,ogoni or kalabari is igbo even though most of them speak igbo as a 2nd language.

it's like saying hausa is fulani or fulani is hausa.
ikwerre language is similar to igbo language but not the same thing. even their culture differ a bit. igbos are enterprising people while ikwerres are not. igbos struggle to make their money through business and sometimes bad runs while ikwerre waits to take over abandon property. so how can they be the same thing?
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Abagworo(m): 7:33am On Apr 01, 2010
@zebra.if you are from greater igbo or ikwerre then u would understand.it is like saying ngwa and igbo is similar.aro and igbo is similar,item and igbo is similar,nkanu and igbo is similar,ezza and igbo is similar,ehugbo and igbo is similar,etche and igbo is similar,orsu and igbo is similar,ukwuani and igbo is similar,ika and igbo is similar,ndoki and igbo is similar.each of these sub-groups speak different versions of igbo.the centralised igbo is a mixture of many dialects including ikwerre.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by CrudeOil2(m): 7:36am On Apr 01, 2010
Zebra, not only that they both have similar languages and names, they both have almost similar traditions and culture.
Traditionally, igbos dont have kings. Ikwerres dont have kings too. Igbos use the offor, the ikwerre do to and so many others.
Dissimilar Language is cannot be used seperate them. The people of nsukka are igbos, but i understand ikwerre more than nsukka.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by zebra(m): 7:45am On Apr 01, 2010
Abagworo:

@zebra.if you are from greater igbo or ikwerre then u would understand.it is like saying ngwa and igbo is similar.aro and igbo is similar,item and igbo is similar,nkanu and igbo is similar,ezza and igbo is similar,ehugbo and igbo is similar,etche and igbo is similar,orsu and igbo is similar,ukwuani and igbo is similar,ika and igbo is similar,ndoki and igbo is similar.each of these sub-groups speak different versions of igbo.the centralised igbo is a mixture of many dialects including ikwerre.

igbo language is the central language for all those tribes you listed, agreed. But the ikwerre man does n't see himself as igbo, that is the issue. if you ask an ikwerre man his tribe he will say he's ikwerre and not igbo; thats the truth. other tribes you mentoned in your list will proudly tell you they are igbos at worst they say Delta igbo, but ikwerre will always say they are ikwerre and not igbo.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by zebra(m): 7:55am On Apr 01, 2010
Crude Oil:

Zebra, not only that they both have similar languages and names, they both have almost similar traditions and culture.
Traditionally, igbos dont have kings. Ikwerres dont have kings too. Igbos use the offor, the ikwerre do to and so many others.
Dissimilar Language is cannot be used seperate them. The people of nsukka are igbos, but i understand ikwerre more than nsukka.

i thought there is an Obi in onitsha? is he not a traditional ruler??
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by ijawgirl: 4:00am On Apr 03, 2010
zebra:

it's like saying hausa is fulani or fulani is hausa.
ikwerre language is similar to igbo language but not the same thing. even their culture differ a bit. igbos are enterprising people while ikwerres are not. igbos struggle to make their money through business and sometimes bad runs while ikwerre waits to take over abandon property. so how can they be the same thing?

cheesy
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by igboboy1(m): 1:39pm On Apr 03, 2010
zebra:

igbo language is the central language for all those tribes you listed, agreed. But the ikwerre man does n't see himself as igbo, that is the issue. if you ask an ikwerre man his tribe he will say he's ikwerre and not igbo; thats the truth. other tribes you mentoned in your list will proudly tell you they are igbos at worst they say Delta igbo, but ikwerre will always say they are ikwerre and not igbo.

another daft girl, igbo is not the central language for these group of people (not tribes). Igbo is not just one language, there are different dialects, there is central Igbo, and other dialects, I am Ikwerre and Igbo so dont generalizae
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by zebra(m): 4:16pm On Apr 03, 2010
igbo boy:

another daft girl, igbo is not the central language for these group of people (not tribes). Igbo is not just one language, there are different dialects, there is central Igbo, and other dialects, I am Ikwerre and Igbo so dont generalizae

keep quiet there, you cannot be igbo and ikwerre at the same time. you are either igbo or ikwerre. Just like some people say hausa/fulani; that's a wrong term to use in describing them. It's not possible. you are either fulani or hausa, you cannot be both. Do we have hausa/yoruba? Do we have ijaw/igbo? Do we have igbo/yoruba? And stop calling people daft when you are the one behaving like one.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by zebra(m): 4:20pm On Apr 03, 2010
ijaw_girl:

cheesy

My sister, abi i blow lie? igbo and ikwerre no get difference? ikwerre like abandoned property and land while igbos like doing business and some bad runs that i won't mention here.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Ooni Adeyeye-Ogunwusi Remarries As Marriage Crashes - SDK (Photo) / Wells Carlton Hotel Staff Prostrate To Welcome Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi / Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.