Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,785 members, 7,956,000 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:56 PM

Folorunsho Alakija: Without A University Degree, I Became A Billionaire - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Folorunsho Alakija: Without A University Degree, I Became A Billionaire (38415 Views)

Folorunsho Alakija And Her Husband, Modupe Separate After 30 Years Of Marriage / Folorunsho Alakija Adds To The Beautiful Skyline Of Lagos / Folorunsho Alakija Gorgeous In Native Wear, Poses With Her Numerous Awards (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Folorunsho Alakija: Without A University Degree, I Became A Billionaire by Nobody: 8:17pm On Feb 22, 2018
VolvoS60:

^^^^
You don't necessarily have to agree with those who are cursing her out. But you are treading a dangerous path with your talk about 'hard work and diligence'. You surely can't support the primitive patronage system of which this woman was a beneficiary.

Do your investigations about the allocation of OMLs and OPLs in the military regimes of the 80s and you'll understand why people are upset with all of this.
Do you understand she argued a case in the court for nearly 12 years before she could gain full access to the oil bloc

Did you realize that she wasn't only the person lucky enough to be given such oil bloc ?

Do you know what is needed to seize an opportunity?

Do you know the effort needed to run a successful business in a country like Nigeria?

If you can answer all the aforementioned questions, then you will realize my reasons for using "diligence" and "hard work" in my previous comment.

You will also understand the reasons I had correct the misconceptions of some of her haters
Re: Folorunsho Alakija: Without A University Degree, I Became A Billionaire by Rozaytee: 8:25pm On Feb 22, 2018
pinnket:
angry

All thanks to IBB for her...
i swear.. na connection make am rich
Re: Folorunsho Alakija: Without A University Degree, I Became A Billionaire by Rozaytee: 8:27pm On Feb 22, 2018
yeyerolling:
People who used connect/fronting to make it shud fuk off abeg. IBB gave u OML cos u be hin wife padi. Where in the world does a tailor get oil mining license. Madam just sits at home with her 45% share of OML. Get total and odas to operate it and she gives dem share of profits. Oniranu.Pple like cosmas maduka too will come bobo us hw dey made it. Bt in reality na runs and connects
atleast all d waka wey she waka...pay am..cheesy
Re: Folorunsho Alakija: Without A University Degree, I Became A Billionaire by Rozaytee: 8:29pm On Feb 22, 2018
Coitus:
She is forgot to mention how many politicians she slept with to make it possible,she didn't mention connection that she gathered, not even Obasanjo's influencial hand. Nonsense.

Believe this bitch at your own risk,life is not that smooth in Nigeria. Almost every rich business person in Nigeria got their start up funds from illegal means. Tibubu from drug business, Adenuga from IBB,Dangote from unanimous northern political support which he is also the biggest money launder in Nigeria, kalu from abịa state government money, in fact the list goes on. angry

Fúck all them rich people in Nigeria
madam stop hating and go do ur own runs instead of wallowing in poverty
Re: Folorunsho Alakija: Without A University Degree, I Became A Billionaire by YaxxVille(m): 8:46pm On Feb 22, 2018
femolacqua:
Her talent made way for her.
please which talent? I'm confused.
Re: Folorunsho Alakija: Without A University Degree, I Became A Billionaire by VolvoS60(m): 9:11pm On Feb 22, 2018
greiboy:
Do you understand she argued a case in the court for nearly 12 years before she could gain full access to the oil bloc

Did you realize that she wasn't only the person lucky enough to be given such oil bloc ?

Do you know the effort needed to run a successful business in a country like Nigeria?

If you can answer all the aforementioned questions, then you will realize my reasons for using "diligence" and "hard work" in my previous comment.

You will also understand the reasons I had correct the misconceptions of some of her haters

^^^^
I'll address your points one by one:

Do you understand she argued a case in the court for nearly 12 years before she could gain full access to the oil bloc?

It might be a good idea for you to give the details of that lawsuit here and how it supports your argument about hard work on the part of the owner.

That's exactly my point. You do acknowledge that 'luck' played a big part in getting that licence. Kind of stands the whole 'hard work' argument on its head. Yes, other beneficiaries frittered away their blocs and FAMFA's vice chairman (as she was then) didn't waste hers. But the key point is how the bloc was gotten to begin with.

Yes sir, I do! You seize some every day and so do I! I wager that there are millions of Nigerians who could have equally seized the 'opportunity' she was given and done just as well or even better. I can't prove it of course, but I can bet on it.

Yes I do. Everyday is a struggle and some days are worse than others. And success remains elusive. But you do it anyway.

I'll refer you to a 20+ page thread from 2012 on Mrs Alakija:

https://www.nairaland.com/1115686/africas-richest-woman-nigerian-folorunsho/14#13204850

I'll leave you with one of my posts on that thread:

"FAMFA's vice-chairman (i.e. Alakija) may indeed have the boldness and heart of a lion but that is not what's on trial here. What is on trial here is an OPL allocation process (of which FAMFA is a direct beneficiary) that is opaque and guaranteed to raise suspicion of unethical behviour. Why is this so hard for everyone to understand? It is in everyone's interest (including future OPL winners) that the allocation process be transparent, fair and seen to be fair. This means future winners will never have to worry about being tar brushed as beneficiaries of the worst kind of crony capitalism."

2 Likes

Re: Folorunsho Alakija: Without A University Degree, I Became A Billionaire by Ugosample(m): 9:17pm On Feb 22, 2018
Coitus:
She is forgot to mention how many politicians she slept with to make it possible,she didn't mention connection that she gathered, not even Obasanjo's influencial hand. Nonsense.

Believe this bitch at your own risk,life is not that smooth in Nigeria. Almost every rich business person in Nigeria got their start up funds from illegal means. Tibubu from drug business, Adenuga from IBB,Dangote from unanimous northern political support which he is also the biggest money launder in Nigeria, kalu from abịa state government money, in fact the list goes on. angry

What do you mean by "fück all rich people in Nigeria?"

The opportunities are still there to be a millionaire in your own right, its just that the country is not friendly

Yet, with persistence, you can make it.
Re: Folorunsho Alakija: Without A University Degree, I Became A Billionaire by Nobody: 9:22pm On Feb 22, 2018
VolvoS60:

^^^^
I'll address your points one by one:

Do you understand she argued a case in the court for nearly 12 years before she could gain full access to the oil bloc?

It might be a good idea for you to give the details of that lawsuit here and how it supports your argument about hard work on the part of the owner.

That's exactly my point. You do acknowledge that 'luck' played a big part in getting that licence. Kind of stands the whole 'hard work' argument on its head. Yes, other beneficiaries frittered away their blocs and FAMFA's vice chairman (as she was then) didn't waste hers. But the key point is how the bloc was gotten to begin with.

Yes sir, I do! You seize some every day and so do I! I wager that there are millions of Nigerians who could have equally seized the 'opportunity' she was given and done just as well or even better. I can't prove it of course, but I can bet on it.

Yes I do. Everyday is a struggle and some days are worse than others. And success remains elusive. But you do it anyway.

I'll refer you to a 20+ page thread from 2012 on Mrs Alakija:

https://www.nairaland.com/1115686/africas-richest-woman-nigerian-folorunsho/14#13204850

I'll leave you with one of my posts on that thread:

"FAMFA's vice-chairman (i.e. Alakija) may indeed have the boldness and heart of a lion but that is not what's on trial here. What is on trial here is an OPL allocation process (of which FAMFA is a direct beneficiary) that is opaque and guaranteed to raise suspicion of unethical behviour. Why is this so hard for everyone to understand? It is in everyone's interest (including future OPL winners) that the allocation process be transparent, fair and seen to be fair. This means future winners will never have to worry about being tar brushed as beneficiaries of the worst kind of crony capitalism."
No one is on trial here.

She only told her story, you are the one here trying to soil her name by up digging irrelevant post to support your assertion. At least, I am glad you gave her some credit for her achievements.

Here is an actual newspaper where the was woman making a case for herself. You will be able to spot where she talked about her court case and how long it took for her company strike crude oil.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/10/made-billionaire-obasanjo-tells-folorunsho-alakija/
Re: Folorunsho Alakija: Without A University Degree, I Became A Billionaire by VolvoS60(m): 9:42pm On Feb 22, 2018
greiboy:
No one is on trial here.

She only told her story, you are the one here trying to soil her name by up digging irrelevant post to support your assertion. At least, I am glad you gave her some credit for her achievements.

Here is a actual newspaper of the woman making a case for herself. You will be able to spot where she talk about her court case and how long it took for her before her company struck crude oil.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/10/made-billionaire-obasanjo-tells-folorunsho-alakija/

^^^
grin

We can agree to disagree.

You claim I am trying to soil the woman's name by digging up irrelevant posts. grin

I have made my point with facts and I have kept the conversation civil. I took the trouble to look up your reference but you called my reference thread 'irrelevant'. grin. To each his own.

Perhaps you would prefer to engage those who called your heroine unprintable names. wink

1 Like

Re: Folorunsho Alakija: Without A University Degree, I Became A Billionaire by AngelicBeing: 9:42pm On Feb 22, 2018
aparo:

I thought all Nigerians were brainless like their former president and even the current one. Alas, a few are ok
l don't understand, can you elucidate further grin
Re: Folorunsho Alakija: Without A University Degree, I Became A Billionaire by Nobody: 9:52pm On Feb 22, 2018
VolvoS60:

^^^
grin

We can agree to disagree.

You claim I am trying to soil the woman's name by digging up irrelevant posts. grin

I have made my point with facts and I have kept the conversation civil. I took the trouble to look up your reference but you called my reference thread 'irrelevant'. grin. To each his own.

Perhaps you would prefer to engage those who called your heroine unprintable names. wink
That is if you made any points here or just showed nairalanders a bitter and unsolicited perspective grin

For the record. I never bothered to check up your source because I realized it was a source from nairaland wink

I never wanted to engage anyone or you to begin with, you gave me two mentions and I responded to one wink

Anyways, you said we should agree to disagree, which I believe should have been the civil route you should have taken in the first place smiley

have a nice day
Re: Folorunsho Alakija: Without A University Degree, I Became A Billionaire by teflonjake(m): 10:21pm On Feb 22, 2018
yeyerolling:
People who used connect/fronting to make it shud fuk off abeg. IBB gave u OML cos u be hin wife padi. Where in the world does a tailor get oil mining license. Madam just sits at home with her 45% share of OML. Get total and odas to operate it and she gives dem share of profits. Oniranu.Pple like cosmas maduka too will come bobo us hw dey made it. Bt in reality na runs and connects

And what's stopping you from making friends?

Low life, slow poke, retard...... waste bin
Re: Folorunsho Alakija: Without A University Degree, I Became A Billionaire by VULCAN(m): 12:14am On Feb 23, 2018
So this is the excuse you have prepared to give your children when they ask you why you didn't make it in life?

Coitus:

Re: Folorunsho Alakija: Without A University Degree, I Became A Billionaire by hopefulLandlord: 3:37am On Feb 23, 2018
MRAKBEE:

I don't argue with any atheists cos they don't even know how they came into existence let alone where they will go after death..
But one thing is certain alot of them are embracing the truth. Ur day is coming. Soon you wil start SPREADING THE GOOD NEWS
Im sure u didn't read my comment well. God's grace is for everyone regardless of race, religion, sex etc.
There is an invisible hand that goes arround giving men what they want.

and you happened to know that a Jewish god that resides in Israel, likes mount Horeb and would bring about a "new Jerusalem" is what brought you (an African) into existence?

I hope you see how nonsensical that sounds
Re: Folorunsho Alakija: Without A University Degree, I Became A Billionaire by MRAKBEE(m): 5:30am On Feb 23, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

and you happened to know that a Jewish god that resides in Israel, likes mount Horeb and would bring about a "new Jerusalem" is what brought you (an African) into existence?

I hope you see how nonsensical that sounds
How did you come into existence mr sense?
Re: Folorunsho Alakija: Without A University Degree, I Became A Billionaire by hopefulLandlord: 5:55am On Feb 23, 2018
MRAKBEE:

How did you come into existence mr sense?

I don't know but I'm asking how you (a Nigerian) know a Jewish god that resides in Israel, likes mount Horeb and would bring about a "new Jerusalem"
Re: Folorunsho Alakija: Without A University Degree, I Became A Billionaire by MRAKBEE(m): 6:11am On Feb 23, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

I don't know but I'm asking how you (a Nigerian) know a Jewish god that resides in Israel, likes mount Horeb and would bring about a "new Jerusalem"
Really? You don't know! Case dismissed.
Re: Folorunsho Alakija: Without A University Degree, I Became A Billionaire by hopefulLandlord: 6:22am On Feb 23, 2018
MRAKBEE:

Really? You don't know! Case dismissed.

how do you know a Jewish god that resides in Israel, likes mount Horeb and would bring about a "new Jerusalem" is the one that brought you into existence?

my not knowing doesn't lend any credibility to yours
Re: Folorunsho Alakija: Without A University Degree, I Became A Billionaire by Ugosample(m): 7:31am On Feb 23, 2018
Awoleesu:
True!

How many sustained billionaires in Nigeria have post-graduation wealth?

please tell me what you mean by post graduation wealth.

I'm thinking wealth after their death, but I want to he sure
Re: Folorunsho Alakija: Without A University Degree, I Became A Billionaire by Ugosample(m): 7:41am On Feb 23, 2018
VULCAN:
So this is the excuse you have prepared to give your children when they ask you why you didn't make it in life?

That's the excuse many Nigerians plan on telling their kids on why they did not break the ice

"the system is/was unfair" ; "all rich people in Nigeria are crooks" etc
Re: Folorunsho Alakija: Without A University Degree, I Became A Billionaire by Allansmith: 10:01am On Feb 23, 2018
This only can be done by the grace of God.
Re: Folorunsho Alakija: Without A University Degree, I Became A Billionaire by Awoleesu(m): 10:18am On Feb 23, 2018
Ugosample:

please tell me what you mean by post graduation wealth.

I'm thinking wealth after their death, but I want to he sure
Yeah! Lest someone says Dangote or Adenuga... Warrai mean is making their billions before they acquire their Degrees. Or rather, how many of them made their money as graduates? Clear now?
Re: Folorunsho Alakija: Without A University Degree, I Became A Billionaire by steryj(m): 11:22am On Feb 23, 2018
Gangster1ms:
Look at us killing ourselves on top school and yet no good job.. fvck school!
yeah fvck school. Fvck my first degree! Fvck my masters! What I I'm achieving presently outside this shit degrees, I just thank God.

1 Like

Re: Folorunsho Alakija: Without A University Degree, I Became A Billionaire by SamsonJohn743(m): 4:55pm On Feb 23, 2018
yeyerolling:

Exactly. Anyone
But am not disputing the fact that she still worked hard to get where she is today doe.
Re: Folorunsho Alakija: Without A University Degree, I Became A Billionaire by ogaju007(m): 1:50am On Feb 25, 2018
This woman should just shut up

1 Like

Re: Folorunsho Alakija: Without A University Degree, I Became A Billionaire by Tunks2017(m): 3:07am On Feb 25, 2018
EmagNig:
One of the richest women in Africa, Folorunso Alakija has made a revelation about her life that ...............

Boloks & bagladash angry angry angry
Tell that to the king of lizards & iguanas..........

After eating up the countries resources with Ibb & wrecking Nigeria's foundation,
Now claiming you got religion all of a sudden.........

Re: Folorunsho Alakija: Without A University Degree, I Became A Billionaire by okafor200(m): 8:22am On Oct 11, 2020
please ma,
I really need your help

folorunsho alakija please help me.
Re: Folorunsho Alakija: Without A University Degree, I Became A Billionaire by okafor200(m): 8:29am On Oct 11, 2020
hopefulLandlord:

how do you know a Jewish god that resides in Israel, likes mount Horeb and would bring about a "new Jerusalem" is the one that brought you into existence?

my not knowing doesn't lend any credibility to yours

but this GOD is so powerful enough.
even reading of the bible I can feel immense powers hovering all over my body!

that's just to tell you there is power in the spoken words of GOD
Re: Folorunsho Alakija: Without A University Degree, I Became A Billionaire by okafor200(m): 8:56am On Oct 14, 2020
All4real2:
Can you Tell the nairalanders how many billionaires who made their money through begging

I am not a beggar and i will never be a beggar!

this life is all about choices!
if I was a beggar and am used to it I would have said I needed like 10k or maybe 20k.

but this is 1 billion naira we are talking about.
I need access to it to change my life for good,

is that not what the lord explained to us in the bible,
seek and you shall find!
knock and the door will be opened for you!

that's why I need this money with faith in Christ Jesus!

no one really knows tomorrow!
Re: Folorunsho Alakija: Without A University Degree, I Became A Billionaire by AlphaTaikun: 7:50pm On Jun 15, 2022
EmagNig:
One of the richest women in Africa, Folorunso Alakija has made a revelation about her life that not so many people know of. According to the billionaire, she was able to achieve greatness in life even without a University degree.

Folorunso Alakija took to Instagram to share this piece and she also opened up that she is the 8th child in her family of about 52 children.

She wrote:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfdNKM3nish/?hl=en

http://lailasnews.com/became-billionaire-even-without-university-degree-folorunso-alakija/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Photo Of A University Graduate Selling Moimoi (pic) / Lagosians Groan As KFC Outlets Shut Down Operations From Tomorrow / Ifeanyi Ubah Buys A Car For Adichie Izuchukwu, His Aide (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.