Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,193 members, 7,815,161 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:24 AM

Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem (21047 Views)

FFK Blast Premiumtimes And Leadership Newspaper On Twitter / Leadership Problem In Nigeria / A Jerry Rawlings Or Ghadafi Of Libya Kind Of Solution To Nigeria's Leadership Problem? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by asha80(m): 12:08am On May 17, 2010
Kobojunkie:

How many make up this MOST group? undecided

From experience substantial
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by Kobojunkie: 12:17am On May 17, 2010
asha 80:

From experience substantial

From my experience, I would say few people did that. I will go as far as to say that Ibos raised outside of iboland, with reduced exposure to the division and differences within iboland, have a higher propensity to be more accepting of others, regardless of village, or ethnicity. Just felt to throw that in there!
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by agabaI23(m): 12:23am On May 17, 2010
SEFAGO:

Please could you outline steps taking by Igbo people to field viable candiates for leadership position. Apart from pwns. ALso please give examples when members of your family, have stepped away from the status quo, and decide to run for office themselves.

Prof is that correct?

LOL, you want to teach me grammar Grin. My writing skills are phenomenal. Please show respect to whom is due. I am not even talking of grammar- I am criticizing your word choice. Know the difference.

Moreover the poster is somewhat right.
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by asha80(m): 12:31am On May 17, 2010
Kobojunkie:

From my experience, I would say few people did that. I will go as far as to say that Ibos raised outside of iboland, with reduced exposure to the division and differences within iboland, have a higher propensity to be more accepting of others, regardless of village, or ethnicity. Just felt to throw that in there!

Well this is another scenario  to look at because they also grew up in nigeria abi?There is a reason why the 'igbo identity' sharpened when the different subgroups of igbo( who hitherto saw themselves differently) started migrating to other parts in nigeria when the railways were established in the country.

Also when i talk about people in my scenario i mean people born and brouth up in 'cosmopolitan igbo' towns and cities like Owerri,Enugu,Aba,Onitsha,Umuahia and not places like Ihiala,Mbaise and Obosi that are homogenous in nature.
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by Kobojunkie: 12:35am On May 17, 2010
asha 80:
Also when i talk about people in my scenario i mean people born and brouth up in 'cosmopolitan igbo' towns and cities like Owerri,Enugu,Aba,Onitsha,Umuahia and not places like Ihiala,Mbaise and Obosi that are homogenous in nature.
Oh, I am talking about people brought up in the very same towns you mention above, many of them educated in colleges in the East as well. grin . There is no avoiding the fact there is a great tendency of even the educated in this group to first consider what village/LGA a person is from before deciding if a relationship, be it business or casual, is worth exploring. Even the news media puts some emphasis in making sure people know where persons are really from, even though these people do not live there, or possibly have not been there in a while. I found that CREEPY!

I remember an Akara woman asking me where I was from. When I told her, she decided just for that to give me more akara . . . . lol . I was like I should learn to lie more often. I had been listening in on a row she was having with a customer who was in line before me, during which she revealed, rather boastfully, where she was from in her attempt to insult the man for supposedly being from a group lesser on the ladder than hers. ROFLMAO!!
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by Abagworo(m): 12:36am On May 17, 2010
Kobojunkie:

From my experience, I would say few people did that. I will go as far as to say that Ibos raised outside of iboland, with reduced exposure to the division and differences within iboland, have a higher propensity to be more accepting of others, regardless of village, or ethnicity.   Just felt to throw that in there!

i would want to believe otherwise.personally i never knew igbos were discriminated upon until i experienced it in yorubaland.having grown up in igboland,i had little knowdledge about the hatred of igbos by other nigerians.they condemned igbo accent,intimidated igbos and refused giving them accomodation,used divide and rule by accepting delta and rivers on condition of denouncing igbo in open.one of my friends from asaba refused and suffered thesame fate with us.that was during my youth service.in a nutshell,igbos in igboland have little knowdledge about their plight in other parts of nigeria until youth service or job seeking.
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by asha80(m): 1:04am On May 17, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Oh, I am talking about people brought up in the very same towns you mention above, many of them educated in colleges in the East as well. grin . There is no avoiding the fact there is a great tendency of even the educated in this group to first consider what village/LGA a person is from before deciding if a relationship, be it business or casual, is worth exploring. Even the news media puts some emphasis in making sure people know where persons are really from, even though these people do not live there, or possibly have not been there in a while. I found that CREEPY!

I remember an Akara woman asking me where I was from. When I told her, she decided just for that to give me more akara . . . . lol . I was like I should learn to lie more often. I had been listening in on a row she was having with a customer who was in line before me, during which she revealed, rather boastfully, where she was from in her attempt to insult the man for supposedly being from a group lesser on the ladder than hers. ROFLMAO!!

Which was the akara woman born and brought up in?You are using an akara woman as evidence

Does she look like someone that was brought up in the places i am talking about or someone that came there She also soundes like an illiterate to me

So you think if the media in the east talks about me they will not say i am from Obowo even naming my home town How does that change my outlook

As for relationship i have no idea what you are saying since some of these guys i am taliking about seem to be marrying people outside there lgas.
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by Kobojunkie: 1:12am On May 17, 2010
asha 80:

Which was the akara woman born and brought up in?You are using an akara woman as evidence
Um . . . . giving you the story of an experience  I had with an Akara seller does not take away from this in anyway. I just felt to share that particular story and experience because it was one of the hillarious ones I had.
On the issue of evidence, are you saying ONLY akara sellers could do such?
asha 80:

Does she look like someone that was brought up in the places i am talking about or someone that came there She also soundes like an illiterate to me
Illiterates from iboland, living in ibo townships are not to be considered when considering issues that regard ibos in Iboland?
asha 80:
So you think if the media in the east talks about me they will not say i am from Obowo even naming my home town How does that change my outlook
If you think it is normal for the media to always mention, what village and LGA you are from every time your name is mentioned in the news, that is ok by me!
asha 80:
As for relationship i have no idea what you are saying since some of these guys i am taliking about seem to be marrying people outside there lgas.
I never said they do not go on to have relationships with people from outside their LGAS. I simply stated that it does come up and is of importance to many out there.
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by asha80(m): 1:35am On May 17, 2010
Kobojunkie:

On the issue of evidence, are you saying ONLY akara sellers could do such? Illiterates from iboland, living in ibo townships are not to be considered when considering issues that regard ibos in Iboland?

The illiteracy comment is a side comment.When talking about igbo townships there are some i am emphasizing on.Ihiala,Okigwe,Abiriba and even my hometown Avutu in Obowo can be considerd as townships but they do not belong to the category that i am talking about.

Kobojunkie:

If you think it is normal for the media to always mention, what village and LGA you are from every time your name is mentioned in the news, that is ok by me!

It is normal.And do not tell me it does not happen in lagos(where i am staying at the moment).Even in those funny soft sell City people magazine type publication you always see things like Ijebu born businessman,Ile Ife Indegene,Lagos big boy of Egba extraction.

Kobojunkie:

I never said they do not go on to have relationships with people from outside their LGAS. I simply stated that it does come up and is of importance to many out there.

And it only igbos that do that abi?
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by Kobojunkie: 1:41am On May 17, 2010
asha 80:

The illiteracy comment is a side comment.When talking about igbo townships there are some i am emphasizing on.Ihiala,Okigwe,Abiriba and even my hometown Avutu in Obowo can be considerd as townships but they do not belong to the category that i am talking about.
I was referring to the list of towns you had earlier
'cosmopolitan igbo' towns and cities like Owerri,Enugu,Aba,Onitsha,Umuahia
The akara lady happened to have lived most of her life in Aba; I know that cause she happened to have mentioned that bit of information during her yap session!

asha 80:

It is normal.And do not tell me it does not happen in lagos(where i am staying at the moment).Even in those funny soft sell City people magazine type publication you always see things like Ijebu born businessman,Ile Ife Indegene,Lagos big boy of Egba extraction.
You know what? I am not even going to try to debate this one with you, because I don’t think it is worth getting into with YOU.
asha 80:

And it only igbos that do that abi?
What is the title on this thread?
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by asha80(m): 1:48am On May 17, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I was referring to the list of towns you had earlier The akara lady happened to have lived most of her life in Aba; I know that cause she happened to have mentioned that bit of information during her yap session!
You know what? I am not even going to try to debate this one with you, because I don’t think it is worth getting into with YOU. What is the title of this thread?

You are free to think whatever you like.

I have told ChinenyeN why i said what i said.I am awaiting his reply.
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by ChinenyeN(m): 2:37am On May 17, 2010
Ok, Asha, I see what you're saying and it makes sense to me. It also compliments what I've been stating here on NL, about myself. So this means you, unlike some others, get where I'm coming from. So then, why are those others finding it difficult to understand? I stated it simply, and you simply picked up on it and understood it. Why then don't they get it?
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by udezue(m): 2:50am On May 17, 2010
Asha just gave a good example. When i was growing up in Enugu my parents would speak Oka dialect and Aro-ajali to eachother and their relatives but would speak any central Igbo to us. I remember going to Oka and not understanding pure Oka Igbo but in Enugu I spoke the street Enugu Igbo.The older I get the more I am trying to speak my unique dialects. Growing up in a cosmopolitan city and being from a family of multi tribes and ethnicities affects how you view other Igbos / people. I am comfortable with speaking Ezza better than ARO sef. Nothing mega.
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by asha80(m): 2:53am On May 17, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Ok, Asha, I see what you're saying and it makes sense to me. It also compliments what I've been stating here on NL, about myself. So this means you, unlike some others, get where I'm coming from. So then, why are those others finding it difficult to understand? I stated it simply, and you simply picked up on it and understood it. Why then don't they get it?

Oh well they are like me in upbringing so unless someone thinks deep they might not understand where u are coming from and why you view yourself in a different manner.

The truth is that your mindset is like that of our parents in the town i grew up in.However we as the kids have a slightly different mindset on this issue.
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by udezue(m): 2:57am On May 17, 2010
Chinyen, the problem is that ur case is quite unique and many of us find it hard to believe that in 2010 a young Igbo is so rigid and into his tribal identity. Nothing wrong with it as long as it doesn't get in ur way of seeing broader things outside ur way Ngwa heritage.
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by EzeUche(m): 3:31am On May 17, 2010
^^^^^^

You can say that again. grin This boy be confused. I never heard such clan loyalty from our generation.

Am Aro man, but I do not mind being with a man from Onishta or Nnewi. It doesn't matter we be all Igbos.
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by ChinenyeN(m): 7:15am On May 17, 2010
Asha, makes sense.

Udezue, you should know. . my being Ngwa has not hindered any broader interactions.

EzeUche, are you seriously trying to say I'm confused about my own identity?
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by Kennyblues(m): 2:44pm On May 17, 2010
With respect to all tribes, especially the Igbo extraction, which is used as a case study in my thread? I do not mean to ridicule or debase the Igbo believe in what so ever. However, I feel this lost sheep of Israel needs to retrace their step and always be their brothers’ keeper no matter what.

I really appreciate all comments, contributions especially, Sefago who analytically showed he has the in depth knowledge of the thread, I love you brother. I have come to realized that Nigerians are bunch of talent, irrespective of our socio-economic, different background, we always come out strong. I am not going to say much but once again say thank you to those who gave constructive criticism and those who did otherwise. Do you know what you have just done? You have just helped to compile a project which I had longed written.

Thank you all. See again in my next thread. smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by 006(m): 4:00pm On May 17, 2010
Thank you asha 80 for achieving what so many of us couldn't.  wink
I actually found it strange that in this age Nenye has this kind of view.

@ ChinenyeN, I hope we can now be on the same wavelength on issues concerning Igbos.
No more Nri child  cool
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by ChinenyeN(m): 4:56pm On May 17, 2010
006:

Thank you asha 80 for achieving what so many of us couldn't.  wink
I actually found it strange that in this age Nenye has this kind of view.
Anything particularly wrong with the view, though? It's not as if it's based on lies.

006:

@ ChinenyeN, I hope we can now be on the same wavelength on issues concerning Igbos.
No more Nri child  cool
That all would depend on the context, but we could at least try.
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by ezeagu(m): 7:17pm On May 17, 2010
udezue:

many of us find it hard to believe that in 2010 a young  Igbo is so rigid and into his tribal identity.

Not targeting anyone in particular but many Igbo kids out of Igboland are confused. Either they aren't bothered about their identity (if they even know what 'Igbo' is) or they are really fanatic about it. There's also the rare case of people who have a grudge with their father (if they have one) and then take it out on all their people. . . . .

My experience is that kids living in or have lived in Igboland have a better 'balanced' attitude. This clannish attitude is gradually fading out with the younger generation, although there's still regional identity, that is emphasis on 'I am an Igbo of Owerre' even if you're from Illah, instead of 'I am an Owerre Igbo' even if you've never seen Owerre, e.g Jay jay Okocha is an Igbo from Enugu even though his family is actually 'Anioma'. The biggest hurdle for Igbo people is the Anambra versus everyone else problem. After this it will be a full fledged 5 star (well soon) unified nation.

Linking back the general theme of the thread, it is the lack of acknowledgment of each other that has held the Igbo back, not the lack of a king. As someone had suggested, I think the parliament idea was the best option for leadership. Still this does not mean people shouldn't concentrate on bettering their own community. Regional identity may change but will never go away.

The fact of the matter remains that all this talk is unnecessary if all of you successful people are going to ignore your villages for Abuja and Lagos, that is if you'll ever go back to Nigeria at all. I'm not saying don't live in those places or you must live in the village, but if you don't do your best to make some kind of mark on your place what's the point of all this talk?
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by Onlytruth(m): 7:39pm On May 17, 2010
ezeagu:

Not targeting anyone in particular but many Igbo kids out of Igboland are confused. Either they aren't bothered about their identity (if they even know what 'Igbo' is) or they are really fanatic about it. There's also the rare case of people who have a grudge with their father (if they have one) and then take it out on all their people. . . . .

My experience is that kids living in or have lived in Igboland have a better 'balanced' attitude. This clannish attitude is gradually fading out with the younger generation, although there's still regional identity, that is emphasis on 'I am an Igbo of Owerre' even if you're from Illah, instead of 'I am an Owerre Igbo' even if you've never seen Owerre, e.g Jay jay Okocha is an Igbo from Enugu even though his family is actually 'Anioma'. The biggest hurdle for Igbo people is the Anambra versus everyone else problem. After this it will be a full fledged 5 star (well soon) unified nation.

Linking back the general theme of the thread, it is the lack of acknowledgment of each other that has held the Igbo back, not the lack of a king. As someone had suggested, I think the parliament idea was the best option for leadership. Still this does not mean people shouldn't concentrate on bettering their own community. Regional identity may change but will never go away.

The fact of the matter remains that all this talk is unnecessary if all of you successful people are going to ignore your villages for Abuja and Lagos, that is if you'll ever go back to Nigeria at all. I'm not saying don't live in those places or you must live in the village, but if you don't do your best to make some kind of mark on your place what's the point of all this talk?

Great point.
As far as I am concerned, one of my biggest grouse with Nigeria is the fact that Igboland is deliberately denied an international airport (I hope that changes soon with Enugu and Asaba). You cannot blame most Igbo for living outside Igboland until there is at least an International airport and maybe a seaport (though Warri or Port Harcourt could do too if they are upgraded).
Personally, I would choose to live in Igboland above anywhere else in the world. I just don't have a choice for now. Which is why I am here campaigning.
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by Katsumoto: 7:43pm On May 17, 2010
Onlytruth:

Great point.
As far as I am concerned, one of my biggest grouse with Nigeria is the fact that Igboland is deliberately denied an international airport (I hope that changes soon with Enugu and Asaba). You cannot blame most Igbo for living outside Igboland until there is at least an International airport and maybe a seaport (though Warri or Port Harcourt could do too if they are upgraded).
Personally, I would choose to live in Igboland above anywhere else in the world. I just don't have a choice for now. Which is why I am here campaigning.

Talk is cheap
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by SEFAGO(m): 8:44pm On May 17, 2010
agabaI23:

Prof is that correct?

I was writing a 50 paged paper- so I typed most of my stuff quickly. My writing skills are still phenomenal grin
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by dayokanu(m): 9:18pm On May 17, 2010
I liked hw posters on this thread deflected what could have been a tribal warfare in the making to some interesting discussion on culture and history
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by ezeagu(m): 10:19pm On May 17, 2010
dayokanu:

I liked hw posters on this thread deflected what could have been a tribal warfare in the making to some interesting discussion on culture and history

That's only because the Igbo people started having a meeting. grin
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by SEFAGO(m): 10:32pm On May 17, 2010
ezeagu:

That's only because the Igbo people started having a meeting. grin

True that- townhouse meeting that no non-igbo was invited to, so I did not comment
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by EzeUche(m): 11:03pm On May 17, 2010
SEFAGO:

True that- townhouse meeting that no non-igbo was invited to, so I did not comment

[b]Katsumoto [/b]did enough talking for the non-Igbo side.  tongue
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by agabaI23(m): 11:15pm On May 17, 2010
SEFAGO:

I was writing a 50 paged paper- so I typed most of my stuff quickly. My writing skills are still phenomenal grin
Story!
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by udezue(m): 12:10am On May 18, 2010
Katsumoto Good Job. grin

Ezeagu I hear u.
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by Onlytruth(m): 1:20am On May 18, 2010
Katsumoto:

Talk is cheap

I guess you can never understand me then. cool
Now I can see why you are puzzled by my posts.  undecided Why am I agitated then?
Frankly I shouldn't have a problem then if I was lying. undecided
Your problem is that you are too crooked in the head to imagine a man truly unhappy about his marginalized and oppressed status in the land of his birth.

Ol boy, if you a Yoruba can live in Yorubaland, why can't I live in Igboland? I will give you one reason: you have international transportation access in your land, I DON'T. I Was NOT born outside Igboland.
For your information, I obtained primary, secondary and tertiary education in Igboland.

Like I keep saying, you don't have to understand me if you can't. cool
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by Kobojunkie: 6:21am On May 18, 2010
@Onlytruth, Only last year, you whined that because no Ibo has been made president in Nigeria, Ibo land cannot be expected by anyone to develop more than it has and so is  reason why life remains unchanged in most areas for decades. Now you have a president, how is Ibo land doing? Let me guess, Jonathan should not be considered an Ibo man? Not until all offices in Nigeria are occupied by Ibos will Ibo land be expected to wake up? Um . . . Jonathan is not good enough because you suspect he might have non-ibo blood in him? Which excuse we go get for this one?

You complain today of not being able to fly out of Ibo land, yet you have actually had a functioning international airport in calabar for at least 5 years now. Thousands of people have flown, and continue to fly directly from Atlanta to Calabar and out for years now. So is it the case that Calabar is not part of Ibo land now? You need the airport to be right in your own backyard to stop you from whining. People who speak Ibo are not allowed to fly out of Calabar? Which is it this time?

Lagos has had an international airport for decades yet it is one of the biggest slums in the world. Are the only developed towns/cities in the world cities that have an international airport of some sort?

When does the whine-fest end and you start urging Ibos to take initiative? When do you start actually CARING about the lives of people, poor and impoverished in Iboland to start looking in to understand why it is wrong for the governments there to continue stealing from the people?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

President Jonathan At The Armed Forces Remembrance Day Today (Photos) / Buhari Dispatches Onyeama As Special Envoy To Benin Republic / Osita Chidoka: "Fuel Station Depends On Solar Panels For Electricity Now"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.