Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,242 members, 7,815,329 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:57 AM

Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem (21049 Views)

FFK Blast Premiumtimes And Leadership Newspaper On Twitter / Leadership Problem In Nigeria / A Jerry Rawlings Or Ghadafi Of Libya Kind Of Solution To Nigeria's Leadership Problem? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by ezeagu(m): 8:40pm On May 19, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Funny, I didn’t find a single NON-Stop flight EITHER way, using both Travelocity, Orbitz or even Air China Website. Can you please inform me of the exact flight number I should probably be searching for here?

There's clearly an Air China Flight 984 leaving on Fri, May 21 which is nonstop. End this here.

Kobojunkie:

Arrghh!!!! And again the dishonest debating kicks in. So, now the model is WRONG? Brilliant!

Please explain the sarcasm, is Calabar in Igboland? What are we discussing here? You were wrong, try and learn something instead of evading facts.

Kobojunkie:

Disassociated yourself from whatever PREVIOUS conversation I was having, yet you feel right in challenging my response which was made in the context of the said PREVIOUS conversation? WOW!!

Off topic nonsense. Address your fallacies, don't be a coward. Does Onitsha not deserve a nearby airport, are the airports you listed international standard and do they receive direct flights (not 3-4 stops) from the outside.

bk/babe97:

After reading this post ova and ova again, I kinda relate to what the Ibos on here are biyytching about cus we Brooklynites are facing the same marginalization here in the so-called bastion of democracy. How come we aint got no airport in BK, huh?!?!? Why we gotta go all the way to JFK  or La Guardia to catch a plane? We aint even got a landing strip for a freakn cessna, to talk less of an International airport! This is b.s and I think I support my Ibo brothers in their plans to secede!!! Why cant I hop on a plane in Atl and have it drop me off right in front my crib, huh? What is up wit that? Oh man, I'm boiling wit Biafran rage right now. . . .

P.S: Maybe next time yall shouldnt forment troubles yall cant finish (i.e handing ova civilian govts to the military, coups, wars ect - - - they affect future generations. Nobody will trust u! Your wise Ojukwu aint see that?); then the victors wont be on some "Hey, u think if we allow these folks to have standard airports, u think they wont start thinking of importing arms and ammunitions for round two of the civil war?"  Ask the South how long it took them when they decided to split from the Union . j/k, no need to pull out the guns folks!

What can someone actual say to a sad person like this, how would someone redeem a childlike mind? This person actually thins they have sense to be funny and this is actually supposed to be an attempt at sarcasm. . . .
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by Kobojunkie: 8:44pm On May 19, 2010
I see you are not even willing to debate but looking to insult yourself. Don't worry, @Onlytruth already tried that tactic and it did not work. Certainly would not work for you.

I will look up the flight to China you have up there. By the way, can I also fly directly from Dover Delaware to China? When you get around to reading up on what you missed so you can better make your points, whatever they are, let me know.
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by FACE(m): 8:47pm On May 19, 2010
Ezeagu, why bother with this person that argues blindly ? She is quick to use google to become a quack expert on any subject under the sun but can't use the net to obtain any information that will contradict her useless opinion.

She searched the whole internet and there was no "direct" flight to China . How about  flight Air China CA 984 and Flight CA983 to mention a few ? Yet she lied through her teeth that she was able to book a flight to Calabar from ATL.

You should have got the hint and discarded her just  like Onlytruth, after she decided that everyone east of Niger must be Igbo. What an arrogant and foolhardy Arrow. She'd rather die than accept her mistake, even when the tide is against her.

I admire her strong character though, but she has to get her facts right before embarking on an argument. Armed with fact, she would stand tall even while on the wrong side of an argument.
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by ezeagu(m): 8:52pm On May 19, 2010
Katsumoto:

I am not sure I get this argument about airports. There are three International airports in the East; more than any other region.
Ezeagu
Are you arguing for an additional airport in the East OR for the eastern Airports to be refurbished/upgraded? The choice of flights at an airport are the result of two questions
1. Does the Airport have the infrastructure and facilities to accommodate international flights? If the airports in the east lack the infrastructure, then I support your argument.But we know that international flights land at PH, Calabar.

Yeah, I'm talking about the renovation of the Akanu Ibiam International Airport which is currently a concrete building with a small runway. Calabar can be refurbished if needed, but my focus is on 'feeding' Onitsha and Enugu, which Port Harcourt also does not benefit. There are cities in developed countries alone that have more international airports than the east now, whether in the city itself or adjacent to it.

Katsumoto:

2. Economic viability - If the infrastructure is there, then the determining factor is demand for flights. Only easterners can increase demand. If demand increases for flights to the East, then airlines will fly more routes to the East. But I suspect that airlines may not want to cannibalize existing routes. Airlines may not want to fly multiple cities in a country if the demand is not high enough. For instance, If 1000 fly directly from london to Lagos and Abuja each week. If they decide to fly to Enugu as well, then they have increased costs without necessarily increasing revenue. They can however drop one of the other major routes (Lagos or Abuja) if there are more people bent on flying to Enugu but that is dependent on the Eastern governments providing other amenities such as Safety, good hotels for airline staff, access to parts and labour to fix airplanes, etc.

Akanu Ibiam International would have no problem with meeting demands, if anything it may be overloaded. These airline companies don't know about these problems, and if they do it doesn't benefit them anyhow because they're still getting the benefits from easterners flying to Lagos and Abuja. The traffic to these places will be reduced if there is a renovated AI Int. Airport.
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by Kobojunkie: 8:58pm On May 19, 2010
a) Can you book a flight from Atlanta and arrive at your finally destination, being Calabar or PortHarcourt? --- FACT !! May have numerous stop-overs -- MOST TRIPS do, but you can book your flight from Atlanta to Calabar.

Do all developed cities and towns around the world have International Airports right within their Borders?  FALSE -- Even in the United States, many more cities and towns are situated within 3 or more hours of the nearest international airport. Has that hindered development? FALSE , so the argument that development only happens when an international airport is in your backyard is based on FALLACY.

If current Airports are UNDERUTILIZED, does building additional airports and spending billions more help the situation? FALSE  demand drives these things. Owerri Airport is a good example. The airport is mostly a ghost town with only a couple of flights in and out each month. Would it make sense then to BUILD IT BIGGER?
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by Kobojunkie: 9:01pm On May 19, 2010
Akanu Ibiam Airport to be shut

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/5513744-147/akanu_ibiam_airport_to_be_shut.csp

The Akanu Ibiam Airport in Enugu State will be closed as from the February 10 to allow for the renovation and extension of its runway, its manager, Higbo Nwobu, has said. Mr. Nwobu told the News Agency of

Nigeria in Enugu yesterday that the airport will closed at exactly 11.59am that day to all inbound and outbound flights that use the runway except helicopters. He added that the closure is to last for a year. .

He said the date, January 15, earlier announced by the Minister of Aviation, Babatunde Omotoba, for the closure of the airport, during a recent visit to Enugu was tentative. He also said stakeholders including major airlines and other agencies had been informed.

However, officials of the car hire service and representatives of major airlines at the airport said they were yet to be informed of the development.
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by ezeagu(m): 9:04pm On May 19, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I see you are not even willing to debate but looking to insult yourself. Don't worry, @Onlytruth already tried that tactic and it did not work. Certainly would not work for you.

Nope, no clue of whatever your saying. Try deviating in a less obvious way.

I was trying to figure out whether you feel it's a bad idea to renovate the international airports to international standards instead of tedious and crippling stopovers.

Kobojunkie:

I will look up the flight to China you have up there.

Why didn't you before you posted this?

Kobojunkie:

By the way, can I also fly directly from Dover Delaware to China?

Not unless you've designed an aircraft capable of a cheap super long haul from one face of our planet to the next. I've failed to grasp the connection to the issue at hand.

Kobojunkie:

When you get around to reading up on what you missed so you can better make your points, whatever they are, let me know.

I've read, now what?
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by Kobojunkie: 9:04pm On May 19, 2010
The Minister of Aviation, Mr. Babatunde Omotoba, will today flag off the rehabilitation and upgrade of the Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu, Enugu State.  Add

The airport, which was closed temporarily on Saturday for repairs, will be closed to traffic by January next year and airlines that operate to the airport will start using Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri, Imo State, as an alternative.

THISDAY learnt that the runway, which is 2,400 meters long, will be extended by 600 metres to make it 3000 meters or three kilometres and the width would be extended from the existing 45 metres to 60 metres.

When completed, it is expected that the runway would be wide enough to accommodate wide-body aircraft.

It is also expected that with its new status as an international airport, the airport would in future be designated for international operations.

The General Manager, Public Affairs of the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN), Mr. Akin Olukunle, told THISDAY that the runway rehabilitation and extension contract was awarded to PW Limited and it is expected to be completed in 12 months from the day work starts on the project.

The cost of the project, which is N4.13 billion, was approved by Federal Executive Council (FEC) and would include extension and asphalting and marking of the runway.
According to him, this is part of the restructuring programme being embarked by the Ministry of Aviation and FAAN for the total rehabilitation of airport facilities in the country.

Last year, the Yar’Adua Administration upgraded the Enugu airport to international status in tandem with the new policy of having at least one international airport in every geopolitical zone of the country.

It is expected that chieftains of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) would accompany the Ministry to the flag off ceremony as the South-East caucus of the party will be holding a meeting in Enugu same day.

THISDAY also learnt that work started on the Enugu airport on Saturday and the runway was closed to traffic from morning till 4.00 pm.

FAAN assured users that the airport would not be closed until after the new year because of the influx of traffic to the airport during the Yuletide, when airlines would increase their frequency to the South Eastern city.

Aviation expert, Chris Aligbe, commended the effort and said the upgrade of the airport was overdue because Enugu is the fourth busiest airport in the country, which deserves more attention than it is getting from the concerned agencies.

He also suggested that the international flights should be designated to international airlines because the airport is situated in the business hub of South-East.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/nov/30/212.html
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by bkbabe97: 9:08pm On May 19, 2010
ezeagu:

What can someone actual say to a sad person like this, how would someone redeem a childlike mind? This person actually thins they have sense to be funny and this is actually supposed to be an attempt at sarcasm. . . .

If it pissed u off it was sarcasm!!! If it upset u ,clearly, it was funny!!! I'm still laughing
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by ezeagu(m): 9:12pm On May 19, 2010
bk/babe97:

If it pissed u off it was sarcasm!!! If it upset u ,clearly, it was funny!!! I'm still laughing

But wait, there's a bigger joke.  . . . . . . . . . . . . yourself!  grin
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by FACE(m): 9:15pm On May 19, 2010
quote author=Katsumoto link=topic=445416.msg6062390#msg6062390 date=1274297172]
I am not sure I get this argument about airports. There are three International airports in the East; more than any other region.
Ezeagu
Are you arguing for an additional airport in the East OR for the eastern Airports to be refurbished/upgraded? The choice of flights at an airport are the result of two questions
1. Does the Airport have the infrastructure and facilities to accommodate international flights? If the airports in the east lack the infrastructure, then I support your argument.But we know that international flights land at PH, Calabar.
2. Economic viability - If the infrastructure is there, then the determining factor is demand for flights. Only easterners can increase demand. If demand increases for flights to the East, then airlines will fly more routes to the East. But I suspect that airlines may not want to cannibalize existing routes. Airlines may not want to fly multiple cities in a country if the demand is not high enough. For instance, If 1000 fly directly from london to Lagos and Abuja each week. If they decide to fly to Enugu as well, then they have increased costs without necessarily increasing revenue. They can however drop one of the other major routes (Lagos or Abuja) if there are more people bent on flying to Enugu but that is dependent on the Eastern governments providing other amenities such as Safety, good hotels for airline staff, access to parts and labour to fix airplanes, etc.

Very reasonable and valid points you made there. However, it is not upto the eastern governments to provide access to parts and labour to fix planes. A good international airport must have a good mechanical hanger, which is the responsibility of the airport authority.

No international flight goes to Calabar at the moment nor in the last 5- 10 years.  Calabar was only a hub for west and central Africa back in the days. In any case, the airport is limited in its aircraft handling capabilities. Enugu is not yet an international airport and PH airport is like the local wing of MMA.

With regards to hotels, I can tell you now that Enugu and Owerri are among the top 8 in Nigeria when it comes to good hotels.
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by Kobojunkie: 9:17pm On May 19, 2010
We have four international airports, Lagos , Abuja , Kano and Port Harcourt[b] but we have other airports that have started showing [size=14pt]signs [/size] of strong traffic. [/b] That is Calabar, Enugu , Kaduna and Benin , and government is determined to ensure that available systems in the airports meet up with relevant standards.”

http://www.thisdayonline.net/?p=1679
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by Kobojunkie: 9:20pm On May 19, 2010
http://www.leadershipnigeria.com/columns/daily-columns/tuesday-column/10644-akwa-ibom-airport-cash-guzzler-or-goldmine

. . . .

Margaret Ekpo International Airport at Calabar, the Cross River State capital is a scant 40 nautical miles from the new airport in Akwa Ibom State .  Even with considerably impressive performance in passenger turnout, the airport in Calabar is yet to attain self-sufficiency in revenue generation. Port Harcourt Airport is less than 100 nautical miles from the one in Okobo.  In fact, Port Harcourt Airport is one of the four viable airports in the country. Some air travellers from the Ikot Abasi flank of Akwa Ibom State may still opt to come home through the Port Harcourt Airport .  To the north is Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu, which is less than 150 nautical miles from the new airport. In terms of catchment areas, Akwa Ibom Airport is grossly disadvantaged.  Margaret Ekpo International covers Cross River State and Akwa Ibom effectively.  It even services the buoyant Douala and Malabo routes in neighbouring Cameroon and Equatorial Guinea respectively.

And with Tinapa and Obudu Ranch Resort as powerful tourist attractions, Margaret Ekpo International is not only an airport but a destination. Port Harcourt Airport covers Rivers, Bayelsa, parts of Abia and Akwa Ibom effectively.  Akanu Ibiam International covers Anambra, Enugu, parts of Abia and the northern flank of Akwa Ibom State. The airport in Okobo has only part of Akwa Ibom State as effective catchment area.  Those of us from the Calabar-Itu-Ikot-Ekpene road axis of the state would still prefer to fly in from Margaret Ekpo because of the proximity to the final destination. Except for the new five-star hotel and golf course being developed by the state, Akwa Ibom lacks the tourist attractions that could make the airport a destination.

With a lean catchment area and near-absence of tourism, the airport could easily slip into the category of Ibadan Airport , which even though is located 140 km from Murtala Mohammed International Airport in Lagos had to be shut down for agonisingly low passenger turnout. At the end of the day, a single airline with shrewd marketing acumen might develop the airport into a viable route, the way the defunct ADC airline did at Calabar.  However, I cannot see the airport developing into a viable airport that could attain self-sufficiency in revenue generation except its architects are able to push the ambitious hangar project beyond the realm of political-economic rhetoric.

That menacing reality might have stampeded the state government into the cash-guzzling subsidy arrangement with Arik Air.  Speculations making the rounds have it that the state government may be exploring the possibility of setting up an airline on dry or wet lease terms to service the dormant airport.  That, in my opinion, is a more desperate misadventure into a business with very thin profit margin and high mortality rate.

It could drain the lean resources of a state well-endowed in mineral and manpower resources but still wallowing in abject poverty because of myopic alignment of priorities by successive governments.  The profligacy of the state government invoked the ire of the people in Uyo recently when the governor announced the donation of N145 million to the THISDAY peace concert. I would rather suggest that the state government consider the possibility of opening negotiations with the directors of the defunct ADC Airlines with a view to advancing a soft loan that would enable them resuscitate the airline for the sole aim of keeping the airport busy. However, the state government can still call the bluff of Arik Air.  This it could achieve by calling a stakeholders forum that would bring together marketing consultants, aviation and tourism experts to brainstorm on the strategy for marketing the airport.
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by bkbabe97: 9:23pm On May 19, 2010
ezeagu:

But wait, there's a bigger joke.  . . . . . . . . . . . . yourself!  grin

Agreed!  But there's an even bigger joke: YOU CRYING ABOUT YOUR LACK OF A AIRPORT!!!  grin
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by ezeagu(m): 9:29pm On May 19, 2010
bk/babe97:

Agreed!  But there's an even bigger joke: YOU CRYING ABOUT  YOUR LACK OF A AIRPORT!!!  grin

Lol, what a baby. Calm down with the capslock, there's no need for a mental breakdown on the internet. Look at me, I don't need capslock to humour a fool. Blood pressure risiiiiisingggg. . . .
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by bkbabe97: 9:32pm On May 19, 2010
ezeagu:

Lol, what a baby. Calm down with the capslock, there's no need for a mental breakdown on the internet. Look at me, I don't need capslock to humour a fool. Blood pressure risiiiiisingggg. . . .

With the insults, we know who is getting agitated, and having High Blood Pressure!!! I aint the one bout to burst a vessel cause there aint no airport on my Porch!!lol.

Internet rule #1: HE WHO STARTS INSULTING HIS ADVERSARY IS THE ONE GETTING THE BRUNT OF THE JOKES!! (If u dont believe me check the internet bible, chapter 1966, verse 419)
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by chiogo(f): 9:40pm On May 19, 2010
What a poor attempt at sarcasm!!

Last time I checked, BK isn't a state therefore, baseless argument.

Anyway, y'all losers can carry on.
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by bkbabe97: 9:44pm On May 19, 2010
chiogo:

Ah, and the hunched back giant appears. . . . .
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by chiogo(f): 9:49pm On May 19, 2010
bk/babe97:

Ah, and the hunched back giant appears. . . . .
Dry. . . hunched back giant?

Must suck being a midget.
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by Katsumoto: 9:51pm On May 19, 2010
chiogo:

Whats the point in joining a debate late only to insult people?
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by bkbabe97: 9:57pm On May 19, 2010
chiogo:

Dry. . . hunched back giant?

Must suck being a midget.

Must suck having a face full of pimply craters!!! grin
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by chiogo(f): 10:01pm On May 19, 2010
Katsumoto:

Whats the point in joining a debate late only to insult people?
Joined what late? I posted several pages back.

Just pointing out that the current argument going on is irrelevant.

bk/babe97:

Must suck having a face full of pimply craters!!! grin
lol
NEGATIVE!
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by Kobojunkie: 10:02pm On May 19, 2010
chiogo:

lol
NEGATIVE!

What current argument? You mean your BASHFEST with BK?
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by Katsumoto: 10:04pm On May 19, 2010
chiogo:

oh ok
Thought you were calling everyone on the thread a loser.
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by chiogo(f): 10:07pm On May 19, 2010
Kobojunkie:

What current argument? You mean your BASHFEST with BK?
The airport argument.

I was not only bashing him but other posters making retarded points on the argument. You choose where you belong.
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by Kobojunkie: 10:09pm On May 19, 2010
chiogo:

The airport argument.

I was not only bashing him but other posters making retarded points on the argument. You choose where you belong.

What exactly about the airport argument are you pissed at? You have 5 airports at least in the Eastern belt of Nigeria, none of them currently operating at capacity, is there proof that one more airport is needed? Rather than run with the pack, why don't you tell us what exactly your beef is and why.
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by Katsumoto: 10:13pm On May 19, 2010
Kobojunkie:

What exactly about the airport argument are you pissed at? You have 5 airports at least in the Eastern belt of Nigeria, none of them currently operating at capacity, is there proof that one more airport is needed? Rather than run with the pack, why don't you tell us what exactly your beef is and why.

I agree i don't like open ended comments. you either contribute to a debate or you stay on the sidelines.
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by chiogo(f): 10:13pm On May 19, 2010
Kobojunkie:

What exactly about the airport argument are you pissed at? You have 5 airports at least in the Eastern belt of Nigeria, none of them currently operating at capacity, is there proof that one more airport is needed?
And what do you consider to be Eastern part of Nigeria? I'm not sure about 5 airports.

There are about five eastern states unless Delta and Rivers are included, which should not be the case. Out of these five, I'm sure Anambra doesn't have an airport, Ebonyi too.
So, where are these five airports?
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by Kobojunkie: 10:19pm On May 19, 2010
chiogo:

And what do you consider to be Eastern part of Nigeria? I'm not sure about 5 airports.
Calabar Cross River --- Margaret Ekpo International Airport (Calabar Airport) [5]
Enugu Enugu --- Akanu Ibiam International Airport (Enugu Airport) [6]
Port Harcourt Rivers --- Port Harcourt International Airport [4]
Owerri Imo --- Sam Mbakwe Airport [20]
Uyo Akwa Ibom  --- Akwa Ibom Airport (Uyo Airport)

chiogo:

There are about five eastern states unless Delta and Rivers are included, which should not be the case. Out of these five, I'm sure Anambra doesn't have an airport, Ebonyi too.
So, where are these five airports?
Does Anambra need an Airport? If yes, How did you come about that conclusion? What is the criteria for airport building? Do we just build an airport in every state? Or do we, like everyother business, ensure the need is there, and then make sure that the airports will actually generate revenue, at least enough for maintainance.
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by chiogo(f): 10:36pm On May 19, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Calabar Cross River --- Margaret Ekpo International Airport (Calabar Airport) [5]
Enugu Enugu --- Akanu Ibiam International Airport (Enugu Airport) [6]
Port Harcourt Rivers --- Port Harcourt International Airport [4]
Owerri Imo --- Sam Mbakwe Airport [20]
Uyo Akwa Ibom  --- Akwa Ibom Airport (Uyo Airport)
Akwa Ibom and Cross River are Eastern states, right? Great!

Kobojunkie:

Does Anambra need an Airport? If yes, How did you come about that conclusion? What is the criteria for airport building? Do we just build an airport in every state? Or do we, like everyother business, ensure the need is there, and then make sure that the airports will actually generate revenue, at least enough for maintainance. 
Why won't it generate revenue? For crying out loud, it's the second most densely populated state after Lagos.

I wouldn't know the criteria but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't make sense if NY and CA don't have airports. I'm thinking population here.
And I suppose the ones in the North are generating revenue, how many northerners actually leave their abode besides the politicians? The airports there also useless then, right?

Anyway, Anambra isn't far from Enugu. . .just clarifying the whole thing about five airports in the EAST.

And somebody mentioned that Good luck Jonathan is Igbo.  Even he doesn't claim that. As far as I know, Akwa Ibom and the rest are not Eastern states so there are really only two airports in the East.
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by FACE(m): 10:48pm On May 19, 2010
Kobojunkie:

a) Can you book a flight from Atlanta and arrive at your finally destination, being Calabar or PortHarcourt? --- FACT !! May have numerous stop-overs -- MOST TRIPS do, but you can book your flight from Atlanta to Calabar.

Do all developed cities and towns around the world have International Airports right within their Borders?  FALSE -- Even in the United States, many more cities and towns are situated within 3 or more hours of the nearest international airport. Has that hindered development? FALSE , so the argument that development only happens when an international airport is in your backyard is based on FALLACY.

If current Airports are UNDERUTILIZED, does building additional airports and spending billions more help the situation? FALSE  demand drives these things. Owerri Airport is a good example. The airport is mostly a ghost town with only a couple of flights in and out each month. Would it make sense then to BUILD IT BIGGER?

Then again, get your facts right before going to town with your pronouncements. In terms of air traffic, Owerri is only behind the following airports in this order : MMA, Abuja, PH, Warri, Calabar , Benin, Enugu and Kano.

Most airports in Nigeria are ghost airports, but Owerri is more alive than most of them so  singling out Owerri was in bad taste.

http://www.faannigeria.org/downloads/statistics/2009-Annual-Aircraft-Movement.pdf
Re: Igbo Extraction And Leadership Problem by Kobojunkie: 10:50pm On May 19, 2010
chiogo:

Akwa Ibom and Cross River are Eastern states, right? Great!
You know what? We need to stop moving the markers please. Yes, these states happen to exist in the eastern belt of Nigeria.
chiogo:

Why won't it generate revenue? For crying out loud, it's the second most densely populated state after Lagos.
Anambra States population as of 2006 was at about 5 million, according to the national census. But Again, the question is a valid one. Imo state, according to the same census, has a population of about 4 million people yet Sam Mbakwe Airport in Owerri continues to struggle to reach half of its capacity, let along generate enough revenue to handle maintenance and upgrades.

chiogo:

I wouldn't know the criteria but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't make sense if NY and CA don't have airports. I'm thinking population here.
Well, in Nigeria’s case, population does not seem to be it. Lagos has a population of about 18 million but the vast majority of those who use the airport are not really residents of the state.  Sure, the place can appear overcrowded from time to time but we know that many of those we meet at MMIA are not passengers.
chiogo:

And I suppose the ones in the North are generating revenue, how many northerners actually leave their abode besides the politicians? The airports there also useless then, right?
Please, instead of jumping around the place here. We are discussing the need or none of an additional airport in the Eastern belt, let us please focus on just that here.
chiogo:

Anyway, Anambra isn't far from Enugu. . .just clarifying the whole thing about five airports in the EAST.
Exactly, and Enugu is not yet at half capacity. And Anambra happens to sit close to Asaba International as well.

chiogo:

And somebody mentioned that Good luck Jonathan is Igbo.   Even he doesn't claim that. As far as I know, Akwa Ibom and the rest are not Eastern states so there are really only two airports in the East.
Akwa Ibom and the rest are Eastern States. If you look at the Map of Nigeria, you would see that those states fall within the Eastern belt, Eastern side of the Niger Or we can say, the former Bight of Biafra. Rivers state people are considered Ibos. If we want to drill down to technicality, we can try to do that on another thread but WE ALL KNOW, even internationals know that people from the eastern part of Nigerian are usually considered the Ibos and the North, the Hausas, and then the west are the Yorubas.

Look at information on the current Eastern Airports and see if you still feel it is business WISE for the east to get another airport considering the current situation with the ones that are available today
http://www.faannigeria.org/downloads/statistics/2009-Annual-Aircraft-Movement.pdf
http://www.faannigeria.org/downloads/statistics/2008-Annual-Aircraft-Movement.pdf

Passenger Traffic --
http://www.faannigeria.org/downloads/statistics/2009-Annual-Passenger-Traffic.pdf
http://www.faannigeria.org/downloads/statistics/2008-Annual-Passenger-Traffic.pdf

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (23) (Reply)

El-rufai Spent 3 Days In Abuja Lobbying To Accompany Buhari To Japan – Shehu San / FG Enforces Prices In Abuja Supermarkets, Plans Lagos, Port Harcourt Visits / Umahi, Deputy Appeal Sack Ruling

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.