Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,049 members, 7,863,728 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 02:32 AM

Awolowo Had No Equal - Politics (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awolowo Had No Equal (29780 Views)

See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 / awolowo had no power to remove Western nigeria from Nigeria. Only Ademusiwa has / Eze:awolowo Had Nothing To Do With Biafra,gowon Who Lead The Killing 1 Million (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by sjeezy8: 1:02am On Jun 06, 2010
jas man:

Every thing you may have said about Awolowo may be true for the Yorubas. Awolowo was a tribalist not a national figure. so short up and stop misrepresenting the fact about this man. His vision and everything is for the Yorubas. He's not our drean Nigerian Leader. just a Yoruba man that loves his tribe men and women. What Nigeria needs is a true Leader that loves Nigeria and Nigerians even if he's not of Yoruba tribd

Tribe aside who accomplished more ? Even Zik as president what did he do? Balewa? Eyo ita?

Like really and you missed the subject because it wasnt about whos the greatest Nigerian leader who is a nationalist- It was about who was equal to Awolowo during his time, and it still remains No one.

Im asking if you can name anyone please do so . . .
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Onlytruth(m): 1:12am On Jun 06, 2010
SapeleGuy:

It is a question of perception. Harold Wilson the British Premier also said Awo was good enough to lead the USA and Britain but was simply too early for Nigeria.

Ojukwu's comments were far from taunts but an eloquent eulogy to a worthy adversary. You are doing him a great disservice to imply otherwise. Think about it, is Ojukwu not friends with IBB?

If you believe that then you don't know Ojukwu at all. In fact almost all Igbo know he was only taunting Awo. I wonder why this is so hard for others to understand. He respected him, yes. But he reviled him even more.

sjeezy8:

Tribe aside who accomplished more ? Even Zik as president what did he do? Balewa? Eyo ita?

Like really and you missed the subject because it wasnt about whos the greatest Nigerian leader who is a nationalist- It was about who was equal to Awolowo during his time, and it still remains No one.

Im asking if you can name anyone please do so . . .

Yes, you are right! No one equaled him in TRIBALISM. He destroyed an emerging national cohesion and unity. A completely different Nigeria would have emerged if he didn't instigate the carpet crossing incident.

All other Nigerian problems could be traced to that single evil seed.

You can believe whatever else you want.

All I know is that tribalism and its accompanying evil started with Awolowo and his carpet crossing chicanery.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by sjeezy8: 1:15am On Jun 06, 2010
^^ Even if Awo was a tribalist though i think he wasnt( because he was the premiere of the west) there is no one who did what he did or even came close- POINT BLANK

Like it seems tribalism is blinding you folks - Im not even a fan of Awolowo ( its not like hes my father) but I give credit where its due.
Pure development and accomplishments.

Ibadan- during Awos time-

[size=13pt]If you can find any city in the East or North during this time that is better please post it.[/size]

until then Awolowo will remain as having no equal during his time.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by sjeezy8: 1:30am On Jun 06, 2010
sjeezy8:

Helicopters & Trinkets. Awolowo's
Action Group is fighting all out to beat this powerful combine. By far the best organized and disciplined party in the country, its slick politicking is worthy of the U.S. pressagents Awolowo has hired to steer his campaign. He and his aides sail through the back country in helicopters, festoon the towns with modern banners and posters, and hand out books of matches and other election trinkets by the thousands. Two TV stations—the first in black Africa—will carry Awolowo's campaign cries when they start operating early next month.

He was on Point.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Musiwa13: 2:13am On Jun 06, 2010
Dede1 , you ask for igbos hero that have street named after them in yorubaland.   You should have ask which  one does not have street name after. If I start listing the whole page is full.

While if you go to abuja, apart from a road after awolowo. Not enough a building of hall was named after awolowo. And some people say we have one nigerian. Even people who are nobody in Nigeria, the federal govt of nigeria named building after them. should we  demand that the new stadium in abuja should be name after chief obafemi awolowo before they know they should do it.  There is no airport named after awolowo.

Abacha house . How can you compare Abacha to Awolowo. What did abacha do for nigerian and nigeria, NOTHING.

To show you the discrimination against the Yoruba. instead of the Nigeria senate naming the abuja stadium after Chief MKO abiola, they refused and named another stadium because No yorubaman .
I forgot we are in nigeria, Yorubas people are not complete human. Horse use for playing polo in abuja have things names after. Even after for the useless road named after obasanjo. name another thing.
Obasanjo don suffer.
You must ask yourself which thing did they name after awolowo.
And they claim we have one nigeria.  even police commissioner in abuja have building named after. Not awolowo. It tell you that abuja is not for us. They own abuja.

mbadiwe have one of the longs road in Nigera, in a top expensive area of lagos. a plot of land on that street , is worth $0.5 million. just a plot.
Zik has street named after him in every state in yorubaland.
Opara the same thing. We do not want to talk of building.
Airport in lagos is name after murtala. In every state in Yorubaland. Muritala has a street name after him in more than 10 city in yorubas. So is shagari. Ahmed bello and balewa,

We dont find that in other part of nigeria, name street after yoruba.

In lagos alone. the yorubas have name over 200 street with igbo names. so when you do the final stat how many igbo men that have street name after them in Yorubaland. we would be talking of over 1000 streets. some of this men are nobody. Why,  Because we do not discriminate against people. We have an open door policy. And other none nigeria, over 3000 streets.   over 300 street are named after british citizen and portuguese.

But when you look at other part of nigeria, you would be lucky if you find a street with 30 yoruba name.
Even when you look at jonathan chance of winning, he stand a better chance the most among yorubas than anywhere apart for his refusal to reform the system  based on the satellite pictures. even higher than igboland. if he had picked a yoruba northerner, as vice president. it would have been a clean sweep. and put the election out of reach of anyone.

So when you people start this igbo /yoruba fight on the internet, most yorubas would be thinking you people are crazy. Honestly. people think you people are crazy.

Can some give jonathan better back hand.

Does he know his history. or have he ever heard of a place call  Idumagbo in lagos. Where does he think the name comes from. The real name is Idumu Arogbo (ijaw).  Now where is idumagbo, it is in lagos. Should jonathan still wait to give lagos a fair share of the cake.

Does Jonathan knows who the arogbos are, ?? does jonathan knows the meaning of idumu arogbo
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Alxmyr(m): 2:16am On Jun 06, 2010
One of the dumb argument against Awolowo was the comment of Dede1, where he said considdering the time Awo reigned, he could not have performed what was attributed to him.

I think he spoke like a man without sense of history.
Gen. Murtala Mohammed was head of state for 6 months His legacy still speak for him till date.
Gov. Fashola solved considerable the chaotic transportation problem of Lagos within first year in office,
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Onlytruth(m): 2:28am On Jun 06, 2010
The more I think of it, the more it becomes clear to me that Nigeria's history was changed for ever because of Awo's tribalist schemes; Nigeria became a country where tribe dictated everything.

Assume for a second that the carpet crossing never happened in 1951, and that the NCNC went ahead to win and form a government in the West, what stopped the AG from working hard in subsequent elections to win in the East and North, or elsewhere? In fact that would have opened up Nigeria's political turf as ONE UNIT. That the Yoruba even voted NCNC was an emerging beautiful national culture that would have been copied by other regions. Awo even stopped the Yoruba from attaining true greatness by way of showing the light of cosmopolitanism to others. Instead Awo killed it and sowed something very recidivist and retrogressive. Meanwhile he claimed to be a progressive.

Latter day African states, especially South Africa, have learned from that lesson and rejected tribalism, which is why the ANC is a non-tribal party whose leadership was under the Xhosa for all the years of the liberation struggles, and which produced two successive presidents in Nelson Mandela and Thabo Mbeki (both Xhosa). Even Premiers in South Africa are not from the areas they govern. That is how a country should be formed.

Awolowo killed that chance in Nigeria. cry
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by KnowAll(m): 4:41am On Jun 06, 2010
[size=16pt]The Ibadan Centre Business District[/size]

[size=14pt]The first thing I noticed when I first came back to the City of London in the earlier 1990's was the similarity between Oxford Street and the Dugbe area of Ibadan City. Although the DUGBE area was not as long and did not have as many stores as Oxford Street, it was the centre of the city, like a huge magnet where people  get drawn for the shopping experince. The sons of  the poor were more intrested in visiting the Kingsway store to watch that mini-train take the now scarce and non-existing son's of the middle class and upper class take a ride on an onward journey to Father Xmas in his Grotto.

This intrigued them a lot, the manequins in the shop was another thing that fascinated them. OBVIOUSLY not forgetting the wide smiles on their faces when they took those escalators to the upper floors. The Security personell where always in a constant battle in ejecting them from the store but they had a way of sneaking into the store again. There was also the goods lift at the back of the store used when u purchase larger items, this was another spell binding wicthery that caught the eyes of those little Boys and Girls from the lower end of Society.

I remember visiting the CBD in  Ibadan was a whole day experince, there was large area on the ground floor of the Kingsway building that had the best Dumkin Dougnuts and Meat pies in the whole City,  people came from all the surrounding Towns just to have a taste of this sumptious delicacy. This was b4 the time of Chicken George and other mordern eatries,  the number 1 place to be was Kingsway's Eatery and what an adventure and experience it was.

Normally, After spending most of the time at the Kingsway Store, families tend to walk through the gang-way that connected the Kingsway building to the UTC building. The UTC building was within the Cocoa house complex. Odua Investment had their HQ there and the UTC stores were stocked with everything u could find in Bloomingdales and Harrods, the number 1 item for young boys then was the ever reliable Chopper Bicycle, a few of my friend had it but my dad felt it was too much at N120.00 per bike, looking back in hind-sight I can understand his reluctance considering he had 3 son's of about the same age, it would have meant him forking out a cool N360.00 for us 3, but he still manage to put up appaerance by taking us on an expeditional tour of the CBD. We walked through the well stocked UTC having already eating at the Kingsway foyer, we the kids were more intrested in the Gadgets displayed than anything else it was an wholesome experience. 

After a while in the UTC store we went down the Gangway to the frontal area of Cocoa House, on the left hand stood the all Glass Rotunda Restauarant called Cocoa dome, back then it was really posh, the wafting smell of freshly made chicken and chips ebbed into one's nostries causing spasm and an uncontroable chain reactions in one's intestines this happened the moment one steps into that open space between Cocoa House and the dome, as a youngster I was ever longing and looking forward to eating at that rounded restaurant with the drawn-out silk curtain. My wished all became a reality when the place had become an old relic and the Syrians who were running it back then had re-located out of Nigeria to the Republic of Benin.

Walking Down the space between the Dome and Cocoa House you get to the gate of the Cocoa House complex this was another Odua Investment initiative built by Cheif Awolowo, turning right steering at you was the beautiful round  Bank Building, it was another Odua Investment rented to one the BANKS back in the day it was called Standard Bank. Walking back that way back to the Kingsway was CO-operative Bank Building a white stucco of 10 OR 11 floors built by Odua and rented to the then Co-operative Bank. Next to it was Central Bank Ibadan Branch and the FRSN Ibadan, at the other end of the road,  almost adjacent to the  store stood Aje House another Skyscraper built by Awolowo for use by small and medium Enterprise the building in the good old days used to be fully occupied. Right Opposite Aje House was the famous Obisesan Hall for concerts and the likes.

The layout of the CBD was well planned, probably lifted from the numerous cities Messer Awolowo visited on his soujourn out of the country, he learnt and he inprinted on the ground what he saw in other climes at Ibadan. Odua probably had 10 to 15 buildings within a 5 km radius of the CBD.

Today's Politicians come to London , USA and Dubai and see how things are done and turn a blind eye to any of those things just because embarking on such laudable projects would mean coming to office a penniless and living a penniless this reality is one thing mordern Politicains are not ready to bear.

IBB instititionalised Looting, I can remember a neigbour of ours who was made a commisioner back 1979 in Ogun State during Onabanjo's regime when his stint was over he came back to civilian life the way he left, no new car or house noting to suggest he has being a recipiant of such a high and exulted post those were the last dieing breed of the remaining AWOIST.

Why Ojukwu chooses to have a daliance and endorses a man who killed the middle class stone dead,  I don't understand. I doubt whether we would ever have a middle class like what we had in the 1970's right up to the early 1980's.

Awolowo was a politician who put his money where his mouth is, this type of individual don't simply exist anymore, a politician who is selfless to himself and selfish to his community, if everyone of those 36 Governors can Imbibe such a mantra, needless to say it Nigeria would be an El-darado by now to say the least.[/size]
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by bkbabe97: 6:05am On Jun 06, 2010
EzeUche:

Just don't forget Igbo soldiers killed over 500,000 Hausa and Yoruba soldiers while the weak Nigerian army only targeted women and children. Let us not forget that you all starved us, but in battle you all met your match.

dUDE, lol, u really believe that at anytime in its history NIGERIA HAD UP TO 500,000 IN ITS ENTIRE MILITARY?!!? LOL. U make me laugh!
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by bkbabe97: 6:07am On Jun 06, 2010
EzeUche:

How dare you say that!!!

Ojukwu protected us in our time of need. When the Nigerian gov't refused to protect us from the rampaging mobs up north, he came to our defense and protected us.

Everyone who slaughtered innocent children and women should be tried for crimes against humanity. Starvation was the tactic and a genocide was committed against my people.

Yes, I said, a genocide orchestrated by Gowon, the Emirs of the North and Awolowo [/b]himself!

Sure, a genocide was committed! Sure Ojuku protected yall! But u seem to be forgetting one important fact: [b]WHO STARTED THE WHOLE BEEFING??!
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by chika98: 6:09am On Jun 06, 2010
Did someone just say that Ojukwu protected them? Where did he do that? By running to Ivory Coast when push came to shove?
or by leading the people to a war with machete and knives? When the Hausa's had armory?
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Nobody: 6:12am On Jun 06, 2010
^^^ wait till they descend on you lol
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by member479760: 6:18am On Jun 06, 2010
If he had equal, no one would have posted this topic. One should expect the free eduction generations to worship AWO instead of worshiping an unknown JEW/ARAB.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by babapupa: 6:50am On Jun 06, 2010
To the ant on the table, the world is flat ! Lack of broad world view can only lead to ignorant statements/declarations.

Yoruba people revere Awolowo, and maybe rightly so in their opinion because he impacted on their lives thus : University in Ife, First TV stations in Africa, Liberty Stadium, Ikeja industrial estate,  and most of all, free primary education.

While all those achievements are laudable, declaring Awo the best Nigerian leader would be akin to the World series games in America where only American teams participate and are crowned world champions. 

Like for like, he was matched or even outshined by other regions at the time.

First TV Station : Yes, but in quick pursuit were Northern Nigeria TV by Ahmadu Bello and ENBC/TV by Okpara

OAU: Before OAU, There was UNN. OAU showed up in 1962 alongside ABU and Eastern Region University (defunct after the civil war and now known as Forestry Research institute of Nigeria Umuahia.)

Liberty stadium : Ahmadu Bello Stadium, Tafawa Balewa Stadium (Altho not built by the regional govt). Enugu stadium developed from Railway playing fields.

Ikeja industrial Estate (Yaba and Apapa were built by the FG): In the east, there were industrial centres in Aba, Enugu and trans Amadi Industrial Layout in PH. Golden Guinea Breweries and Ceramics industry in Umuahia, Nkalagu Cement and erstwhile Calabar Cement factory were all legacies of Michael Okpara. I do not know about Bello, but he might have done something similar in the north too.

Free education: short lived, albeit commendable. It was only at primary level and was his prerogative.  The north should have followed suit in that regard, but the eastern region embraced western education with both arms and since people went to school in any case, the regional govt found it more important to channel their resources elsewhere. The records show that they did not lag behind in education as result of not following suit with free education.

In mordern times, did Awo really surpass Jakande ? Well, he did not surpass Mbakwe for sure.

Mbakwe to Imo and Abians was a god. In terms of layout and design, only Abuja beats Owerri. The streets are straight as graph. I don't know of any other City in Nigeria (apart from Umuahia to an extent) with a network of underground sewer system, which link all the drainage (gutters) in the city centre. The second state University (after Anambra) and initiative to self-tax and build Imo airport to mention a few, were all part of Mbakwe's legacies.

Yes, Awolowo was your god, but he can't be god to all.

To all those talking about contesting election elsewhere and using UK as an example, all I can say is that you shot yourselves on the foot. Tony Blair for instance was born in Scotland and represented an English constituency. Michael Howard was born in Wales to a Romanian father, represented an English constituency, was tory leader and could have become the Premier had the tories won. Examples abound and ignorance is no longer bliss.

All you did was assert the same thing we've been saying. You basically confirmed that Awolowo was a leader, he showed and paved the way for the rest of Nigeria. All the yeye in quick pursuit basically = follow follow.

pursuit = somebody with superior brains, intellect and strong leader dey ahead of you and your leaders.

Obviously, the man was ahead of Nigeria itself talk less of your villages back east.

He impacted the rest of the country because the rest of the country followed him and duplicated his achievements like you clueless pointed out.

He impacted your life because you just stated that your leaders pursued and duplicated his achievements. I don't know about some of you head in the sand Igbo people, it's either you're slow or just bipolar.

It beats me how some of you just dey talk with little or no common sense.

Jakande himself go slap you for putting his name ahead of Awolowo,
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by dayokanu(m): 7:13am On Jun 06, 2010
Did someone just say that Ojukwu protected them? Where did he do that? By running to Ivory Coast when push came to shove?
or by leading the people to a war with machete and knives? When the Hausa's had armory?

Chika,

In the next 12 hours someone would question whether you are truly Igbo for saying that kind of truth about Mr Ojukwu
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by rhymz(m): 8:29am On Jun 06, 2010
It does not matter what anyone says; Awolowo will continue to be a god to a lot of yoruba people, Likewise, to others who are not neccessarily igbo, he can'nt be called the greatest leader as his leadership did not have any national value to all except his own ppl. How that transcends to him being the greatest nigerian leader is what I can not understand. Zik who was very instrumental in our getting independence from the british has'nt even been cracked up to that height. At least on a national scale Zik achieved more than he did thus the different monuments to his name. I dont know why every time some yoruba guy writes about Awolowo they get so emotional and start to exaggerate and try so hard to make others believe their emotionally steeped articles; only emotions will make anyone say a thing like he had no equals or that he was the greatest Leader both in NIGERIA and AFRICA.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Nobody: 8:39am On Jun 06, 2010
rhymz:

It does not matter what anyone says; Awolowo will continue to be a god to a lot of yoruba people, Likewise, to others who are not neccessarily igbo, he can'nt be called the greatest leader as his leadership did not have any national value to all except his own ppl. How that transcends to him being the greatest nigerian leader is what I can not understand. Zik who was very instrumental in our getting independence from the british has'nt even been cracked up to that height. At least on a national scale Zik achieved more than he did thus the different monuments to his name. I dont know why every time some yoruba guy writes about Awolowo they get so emotional and start to exaggerate and try so hard to make others believe their emotionally steeped articles; only emotions will make anyone say a thing like he had no equals or that he was the greatest Leader both in NIGERIA and AFRICA.
and what did igbo benefitted from Zik if i may ask you ?
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by rhymz(m): 9:29am On Jun 06, 2010
~Bluetooth:

and what did igbo benefitted from Zik if i may ask you ?
exactly my point Mr bluetooth, the greatest Nigerian Leader is not the leader that served a section of the country best but the Leader that served the whole of the country best. Through out Zik's political life he did not see Nigeria from the jaundiced prism of a parochial entity, he always wanted Nigeria to be one and worked with that mindset( whether that made him politically naive or not is a debate i will leave to Katsumoto,Dede1,face and safego) that selflessness is what being the greatest leader entails not getting results through some heavy political maneuvering.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by babareketaiwo2(m): 9:47am On Jun 06, 2010
I served in Anambra from there I knew how how much hatred Igbo people has for Yorubas. I cant really tell the origin of their enemity. They always tell bad stories about Yorubas. They never see anything good in Yorubas. But me and my colleagues were able to convinced those people around us with our natural character.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by farochron(m): 10:06am On Jun 06, 2010
The East has not even caught up with the west that was in the days of Awo in terms of development. so what are those mud leaving eastern fake jews saying. They say they are Jews and we see the greatest atrocities come out of their land. Go to Oshodi in the morning and see the way Igbo boys pray and a minute later beat young girls on their bosoms and buttocks. Fashola is set to deal with them. Send them back to their villages where they can carry on with their otokoto and kidnappings of their mother and grandmother for rituals. Those in the west are too strong for you.

Can't wisdom of an ant tell an Igbo person that nothing good come from the East. The west will always rule this planet in terms of intellect, power, brain. The East is left for desolation and destruction except they re-trace their step back to God
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by farochron(m): 10:17am On Jun 06, 2010
babareketaiwo2,

I know the Easterners hate us. This s the new generation of Yorubas. We will hate them more and make life more unbearable for them. What have we not done for that in-contented tribe. Let them drive our sons out of the east then we'll frustrate them from our midst here in the west. They come here to condemn all we do and they have never for once done half. One idiot came here and talked of Oyo been has it is under Awolowo. What part of the East is as fine Akure. They need to go and see where the sons and daughters of Yorubas are doing at this age, within and without. The other tribes have even gone beyond them. Their hate has beclouded them. A south-southerner has even become a president before an easterner will ever dream of it. When next power comes to the south let it go to the Ijaws, calabars and the rest and not that God forsaken East.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by bkbabe97: 10:40am On Jun 06, 2010
Yall Ibos are like the most ridiculous, lying, cry-babies I ever met in my life. Ok, true, I might not know alot about Mr Alowolo or Mr Azikiwe but wut I've googled about both is ok, I guess:

1. They both ruled a section of the country as "pseudo-Presidents/Prime Ministers".

2. Mr Awolowo ruled the West while the East was ruled by Mr Azikiwe.Each had no power outside of their Regions!!!

3. Mr Awlowo performed credibly for his people, Mr Azikiwe funcked shiiyyyt up and set his peoples backward (and even fled to Mr Awolowo's section of the country when that bearded lunatic started having wet dreams about the oil that rightfully belonged to the Ijaws).

4. Years later, Mr Alowolow's people are satisfied with his service, while Mr Azikwe's people are not. But, instead of blaming who was in charge of Eastern Nigeria (Mr Azikiwe) they try, like always, to leave the blame at the door-step of the "Yoruba man".

After this, I can authoritatively say most of ya'll Ibos are cuckoo!!! You guys are cold, straight-up, mad-men, insane in the brain for real for real!!!! Like, who thinks the way u do? Jesus!
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by farochron(m): 10:47am On Jun 06, 2010
bk/babe97

Yall Ibos are like the most ridiculous, lying, cry-babies I ever met in my life. Ok, true, I might not know alot about Mr Alowolo or Mr Azikiwe but wut I've googled about both is ok, I guess:

1. They both ruled a section of the country as "pseudo-Presidents/Prime Ministers".

2. Mr Awolowo ruled the West while the East was ruled by Mr Azikiwe.Each had no power outside of their Regions!!!

3. Mr Awlowo performed credibly for his people, Mr Azikiwe funcked shiiyyyt up and set his peoples backward (and even fled to Mr Awolowo's section of the country when that bearded lunatic started having wet dreams about the oil that rightfully belonged to the Ijaws).

4. Years later, Mr Alowolow's people are satisfied with his service, while Mr Azikwe's people are not. But, instead of blaming who was in charge of Eastern Nigeria (Mr Azikiwe) they try, like always, to leave the blame at the door-step of the "Yoruba man".

After this, I can authoritatively say most of ya'll Ibos are cuckoo!!! You guys are cold, straight-up, mad-men, insane in the brain for real for real!!!! Like, who thinks the way u do? Jesus!

So you notice it too They even insult the owner of this forum on several occasion for being a Yoruba. And their father Ojukwu has never come up with one
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by bkbabe97: 10:51am On Jun 06, 2010
Jesus!!! I just read in a couple places that Mr Azikiwe was President of Nigeria (then again I think I seen that somewhere b4. hmmnnn. . . . ). Meaning, HE HAD MORE POWERS THAN MR AWOLOWO!!! And these morons expected Mr Awolowo to do more than the freakn President? Wow, yall Ibos despicable for realla!!! angry
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by swezenberg(m): 10:59am On Jun 06, 2010
farcohron has said it all. They will never rule. The fight within themselves is enough to retard them. they can't go forward. Watch the next election and see what they will do to themselves again. They are just bunch of retarded race. you will be wasting your time exchanging words with a race that is light years behind reality.

They were asked to simpy name any Igbo that was more of a nationalist than Awolowo, they could not. They will hide behind computers and be shouting wars. Let them come and fight now. They think in Yoruba land we only fight with matchet. We don't need to brag. let them come and fight.

I think I also need to come up with my new topic

Ojukwu the Bingo!

why should I even start his name with an upper case letter

ojukwu the Bingo

or ojukwu the scooby doo
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by rhymz(m): 11:56am On Jun 06, 2010
The problem with you Swesterners is that you guyz make a lot of ignorant statements because you hardly get out of the SW. Go and sing that developmental mantra crap to your types, I was born and bred in Lagos, I visit ogun state on daily basis and I ve been to Oyo state( ibadan to be precise) a couple of times, they are not better off than any state in the SE in terms of development. Apart from Lagos that can boast of huge infrastructure and development( due to its former federal status and continued patronage). Besides, unlike many other states, most of the development in SEastern states have been driven mostly by state, community and individual efforts. Whether you lots like to admit it or not, a majority of people in SEastern states live a better life in comparison, we might not have the richest individuals but we have even spread of income and better standard of living, I would rather that.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by 1luvkipsus: 12:28pm On Jun 06, 2010
How mentally derailed have some persons become here @nairaland! U took ur useless time 2write dis long useless write up tryin 2sell a tribal demagogue 2 us?Awo who only saw Nig.as a mere 'geographical location' suddenly becomes a national hero.hissss,
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Shokwen: 1:48pm On Jun 06, 2010
THE MOTION 'AWOLOWO HAD NO EQUAL' CARRIES THE DAY. OTHERWISE WE WOULD HAVE BEEN DISCUSSING ZIK OR AHMADU BELLO OR TAFAWA BALEWA OR OKOTI EBOH OR E.S. IKOLI OR SAMUEL ENDELEY!

AWOLOWO- A CONTINUING TOPIC, 23 YEARS AFTER HIS DEATH. YOU ARE TOO MUCH!
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Shokwen: 1:58pm On Jun 06, 2010
LET ME BE A LITTLE BIT CRITICAL.

YOYUBAS GO TO IKENNE TO PAY HOMAGE TO YEYE OODUA. (I'M NOT SAYING THEY ARE BETTER).

IGBOS BURNT ZIKS DOMAIN.

REASON FOR THE ABOVE- IT IS CULTURAL. IGBOS ARE INDIVIDUALISTIC. THE CULTURAL SYSTEM WHICH IS PRACTICED WIDELY IN AFRICA( RESPECT FOR ELDER STATESMEN, TRADITIONAL RULERS) IS ALIEN. THEY WERE GOVERNED MAINLY BY GERONTOCRACY AND THE IMPOSITION OF OBIS IS BASICALLY CONTEMPORARY REVISION.

UNTIL IBOS SEE OTHER PEOPLE AS EQUAL AND NOT AS INFERIOR PEOPLE, THEY WILL CONTINUALLY HAVE SERIOUS PROBLEMS, 'COS IN REALITY NOBODY IS BETTER THAN THE OTHER! CHIKENAN!
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by KnowAll(m): 2:02pm On Jun 06, 2010

I agree with u,

[size=14pt]Awolowo is the grand dandie of Awoism which without mincing words is a lay man's word for delivering what u promise in your manifesto. Jakande, Onanbanjo, Ajasin, and Bola Ige belong to this school of thought. This gentlemen would not have being able to sleep in the night knowing they have promise A and are doing B.

The statement that Jakande was better than Awolowo is tantanmount to an apprentice telling his already sucessful boss that he does not know what he is doing. This statement amongst a few others should be seen as the most " daft slip of type (tongue)in the short history of blogging". Jakande himself knows what loin he is made of, he knows his mentorer and would not mince words in proclaiming it.

Is it not strange one of the fervant deciples of Awolowo was regarded in many reliable quarters as the best Governor in the 2nd republic. That sprit to inspire and forge ahead thank God it has not being dampened, Young Fashola has resurrected a dying breed of Nigerians, he has taking it upon himself to follow this unfashionable part, no wonder bearly 3 years in the job he has already surpass several two terms Governors in every ramification. Even though he is not wearing the badge of  Awoism in his forehead, he is certainly taking a few cue from the great man's modus operendi.

Fashola let us call a spade a spade might be one of the very few and limited Nigerians that can move this nation forward. If he dosen't acheive this political ascendency does that mean his undisputed triumph in Lagos has suffered a battering, hell no his ingenieuty would be Nigeria's loss and Lagos's gain. Does he  need to have sleepless night over it, hell no once again.[/size]
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by FACE(m): 2:54pm On Jun 06, 2010
babapupa:

All you did was assert the same thing we've been saying. You basically confirmed that Awolowo was a leader, he showed and paved the way for the rest of Nigeria. All the yeye in quick pursuit basically = follow follow.

pursuit = somebody with superior brains, intellect and strong leader dey ahead of you and your leaders.

Obviously, the man was ahead of Nigeria itself talk less of your villages back east.

He impacted the rest of the country because the rest of the country followed him and duplicated his achievements like you clueless pointed out.

He impacted your life because you just stated that your leaders pursued and duplicated his achievements. I don't know about some of you head in the sand Igbo people, it's either you're slow or just bipolar.

It beats me how some of you just dey talk with little or no common sense.

I don't  like merry go round talks, but did Azikiwe and Bello also follow him with UNN (with branches in Nsukka, Enugu and Calabar (now UNICAL)  , the defunct Eastern Region University (now Forestry Institute)  and ABU ? Did Azikiwe also follow Awolowo with newspaper establishment and bank founding ? For the records, Western region followed the founding of ACB by founding National Bank.

He built cocoa house ? An ordinary  building for crying out loud and you want to compare that with the industrial and agricultural revolution by Okpara ? Tv station and stadium that others also built in the same era ? Free education that his people needed more than those that went to school in the eastern region regardless of cost ?

You  just stay in your small cocoon and imagine that is the extent of the world.

Without naming all the achievements by ENDC between 57 and 67 (zik/Okpara), if you can provide a few examples to replicate the following achievements , then your Awolowo tried for you. Also, besides Ibadan where else did he build anything  in the western region.

The projects executed by the ENDC during the period 1957-1967 include among others, AbaTextile Mills, Ltd, Aba; Nigeria Cement Company Ltd., Nkalagu; Universal Insurance Co. Emene Gas Plant, Niger Steel, Trans-Ekulu Industrial Estate, Trans-Amadi Industrial Estate and the Emene Industrial Estate. You have the Hotel Presidential in Port Harcourt and Enugu.

Glass Company Ltd., PortHarcourt; Cross River Mills Ltd.; ENDC Filling Stations;

Cooperative Bank of Eastern Nigeria; Progress Hotel, Enugu; Catering Rest Houses, Enugu; Livestock Project, Ukpor; Boatyard, Opobo; Eastern Regional Medical Centre. Others are African Real Estate and Investment Company; Niger Steel Company, Emene; Niger Cement Company; African Continental Bank; Odagwa Rubber Estates at Odagwa, Oji River , Ndi Oji Abam, Elele, and Biakpam; Oil Palm Estate, Eket; Cocoa Estates at Obudra, Ikom, Boje; Cattle Ranch at Obudu,

Industrial clusters at Enugu, PH and Aba, Golden Guinea brewery Umuahia, Ceramics industry Umuahia, Calabar Cement , etc.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Princek12(m): 3:03pm On Jun 06, 2010
KnowAll:

I agree with u,

[size=14pt]Awolowo is the grand dandie of Awoism which without mincing words is a lay man's word for delivering what u promise in your manifesto. Jakande, Onanbanjo, Ajasin, and Bola Ige belong to this school of thought. This gentlemen would not have being able to sleep in the night knowing they have promise A and are doing B.

The statement that Jakande was better than Awolowo is tantanmount to an apprentice telling his already sucessful boss that he does not know what he is doing. This statement amongst a few others should be seen as the most " daft slip of type (tongue)in the short history of blogging". Jakande himself knows what loin he is made of, he knows his mentorer and would not mince words in proclaiming it.

Is it not strange one of the fervant deciples of Awolowo was regarded in many reliable quarters as the best Governor in the 2nd republic. That sprit to inspire and forge ahead thank God it has not being dampened, Young Fashola has resurrected a dying breed of Nigerians, he has taking it upon himself to follow this unfashionable part, no wonder bearly 3 years in the job he has already surpass several two terms Governors in every ramification. Even though he is not wearing the badge of  Awoism in his forehead, he is certainly taking a few cue from the great man's modus operendi.

Fashola let us call a spade a spade might be one of the very few and limited Nigerians that can move this nation forward. If he dosen't acheive this political ascendency does that mean his undisputed triumph in Lagos has suffered a battering, hell no his ingenieuty would be Nigeria's loss and Lagos's gain. Does he  need to have sleepless night over it, hell no once again.[/size]

A lot of Lagosians  and Nigerians understandably act  like starved refugees, for they are overly excited at the mere sight of food, even if it is just a paltry quantity. In other words since prior leaders for so long have deprived Nigerians of good governance, the standard by which Nigerians now evaluate their leaders is now that of prior leaders, and therefore anything better than the past is now"excellent." That being said, Fashola is now worshiped because his administration is better than that of the prior governors, even though he is just doing that which he is elected to do, which is to serve the people. I am not downplaying Fashola's achievements, but my point is that we should not overly compliment him without criticizing him where necessary, to the extent that Fashola himself gets complacent and may think his victory in the next gubernatorial election is all but certain; we may also be overlooking other candidates who may have the talent to perform better than him.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (27) (Reply)

The Military Has Sealed Off A Polling Unit In Orolu - Davido Tweet / Governor Sanwo-Olu Visits Lagos Police Command Headquarters In Ikeja / Soludo To Gunmen: We Will Deal With You The Way Criminals Are Dealt With

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.