Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,059 members, 7,849,282 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 05:50 PM

Awolowo Had No Equal - Politics (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awolowo Had No Equal (29722 Views)

See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 / awolowo had no power to remove Western nigeria from Nigeria. Only Ademusiwa has / Eze:awolowo Had Nothing To Do With Biafra,gowon Who Lead The Killing 1 Million (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by EzeUche(m): 8:02pm On Jun 05, 2010
swezenberg:

Katsumoto,

Thumb Up. You have your head in the right place. Yorubas are the one I will blame. They have been too accommodating and liberal. They allow nonsense from some ungrateful set of people. Edos are in the west no wahala, edomas, Tivs calabars. Some losers will now come here out of jealousy and envy criticize other tribes. Why is it only the igbos that come here to criticize all others.  How many Yorubas are councillors or chairmen in Igboland. Some idiots even came to Lagos the other day to clamour for Obi or Eze indigbo before they were put in their right place.  I don't know how many Obas are in Igboland.

You are a fool. Just this past week, the Yoruba just appointed an Oba in Abia State which is in IGBOLAND you dunce!

http://allafrica.com/stories/201005250585.html

You Yorubas have some nerve! To bring that nonsense into my home state.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Dede1(m): 8:10pm On Jun 05, 2010
Katsumoto:

You seem to have gotten this argument mixed up somewhere. Did Zik not contest and win a seat in the Western House of Assembly? This discussion was centred on whether he had the moral right to be the leader of the Western house. I only responded to the points that you made when you entered the debate. The fact remains that a few Easterners won elections in the West. Yoruba people have the right to decide who leads them Yorubaland. If they do not want an Igbo man to lead/represent them, you can not fault them for that. Afterall, a non-Easterner did not lead the East and a non-northerner did not lead in the North. Also, Zik used Igbo numbers and influence to replace Eyo Ita who was Efik.
Did any non-easterner win any seats in the East or did any non-northerner win seats in the North? That Yoruba people were liberal enough to allow non-westerners to contest and win elections in the West should not lead to tham accepting a non-westerner leading them. I am not going to repeat this point again. If you argue otherwide, then I beg you to please convince one of your non-igbo friiends to run as governor of your state and also convince your kinsmen to vote for him.

By the way, George Galloway won the seat in Bethnal Green and Bow, an area with a high concentration of Asians, after campaigning for palestinian rights and being against the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan where anti-war sentiments were high in 2005. Little wonder he lost the election in 2010. Why did he not try his popularity in a predominanly english constituency in Surrey, Kent, or the west of England?

What morality are you talking about? Of course, Azikiwe had every socio-political audacity to be a leader in the western regional house of assembly. He contested and won seat to represent a constituency in western region. By the way, Azikiwe was not the only Igbo person that won a seat into western regional house of assembly.

I guess you got it wrong on the issue of Eyo Ita who was an Ibibio. There were more to the case than eyes could see. Eyo Ita was a victim of his greediness and ingratitude. Did you inquire while Eyo Ita became a spy of the British colonial masters? When Eyo Ita decamped from NCNC on the urging of Awolowo, he was trounced in the polls by a headmaster from his town who ran under NCNC.

At the same era in discourse, a Hausa man was elected the first mayor of Enugu. If there was non-easterner qualified enough and commands the credentials to win in the east, such person will win.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by farochron(m): 8:15pm On Jun 05, 2010
Ezeuche,

Now I know why you are so indignant. Sorry en. You lost your uncle. But you said the Biafran killed about 500000 Yorubas and other tribes. Were some people's uncle and sisters not among that number.

Please if you don't want to lose more or that of yours don't be as stupid as Ojukwu
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by FACE(m): 8:15pm On Jun 05, 2010
Katsumoto:

You seem to have gotten this argument mixed up somewhere. Did Zik not contest and win a seat in the Western House of Assembly? This discussion was centred on whether he had the moral right to be the leader of the Western house. I only responded to the points that you made when you entered the debate. The fact remains that a few Easterners won elections in the West. Yoruba people have the right to decide who leads them Yorubaland. If they do not want an Igbo man to lead/represent them, you can not fault them for that. Afterall, a non-Easterner did not lead the East and a non-northerner did not lead in the North. Also, Zik used Igbo numbers and influence to replace Eyo Ita who was Efik.

Did any non-easterner win any seats in the East or did any non-northerner win seats in the North? That Yoruba people were liberal enough to allow non-westerners to contest and win elections in the West should not lead to tham accepting a non-westerner leading them. I am not going to repeat this point again. If you argue otherwide, then I beg you to please convince one of your non-igbo friiends to run as governor of your state and also convince your kinsmen to vote for him.

By the way, George Galloway won the seat in Bethnal Green and Bow, an area with a high concentration of Asians, after campaigning for palestinian rights and being against the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan where anti-war sentiments were high in 2005. Little wonder he lost the election in 2010. Why did he not try his popularity in a predominanly english constituency in Surrey, Kent, or the west of England?

The Yoruba people had a right to decide who their leader was is very different from "why should Zik aspire to be that leader" and referencing the UK. Why did Michael Howard lead the English Tory party, even though he is at best Welsh ?

By your arguement, George Galloway shouldn't have contested in Bethnal Green because he is not "like them".

If the "Yoruba people were liberal to allow" non Yoruba to fight and win elections in their respective constituencies , do  you think that they would not like the constituency representative to lead the house with the hope that his leadership might skew some favours their way ? Also, if they showed acceptance of those people at constituency level, why would those people not be encourage to vie for leadership knowing that they already enjoy some trust and support.

I daresay that it is the responsibility of every constituency representative to vie to represent his constituency at the highest level, therefore Zik was very right to vie for that leadership and he also had reasonable support in that regard.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Katsumoto: 8:18pm On Jun 05, 2010
Dede1:

@Katsumoto

As much as Awolowo’s inconsequential vision should be appreciated by his Yoruba kinsmen, it is a stretch beyond any pale of comprehension to crown him a magician. Awolowo could not beautify Ibadan in five years (5) as the premier of western region Nigeria talk less of transforming Lagos into a megacity.

Was he not the same Awolowo of western regional firm that Shell D’arcy requested money for crude oil exploration in Ondo and he pledged poverty? Yet few years down the line, he encouraged Yoruba sons and daughters to fight for crude oil in the name of One-Nigeria.

We have to agree to disagree on some issues. Awolowo is loved by his kinsmen for what they believe he did for them; perhaps this is in comparison with othe parts of Africa pr perhaps not. You claim he did not really develop any part of the West, that is your opinion. The people of the west love him for what he did even if it is nothing to you. But we have publications that extol Awo's qualities as a political leader. You have disagreed with those publications, you are entitled to do so.

Now to the second paragraph of your post. Yes Yoruba sons fought in the civil war but you are insulting the memories of all those who died if you allege that the civil war was fought because of crude oil. There were several issues that led to the war but Oil was none of them. Nigerian soldiers of Yoruba extraction were obliged to obey orders given to them but the war recruitment of yoruba sons did not start until after the botched invasion of Biafran soldiers into the west. Also did Igbo sons not fight against Biafra? If Igbo sons, even if it was one, fought against Biafra then no Igbo person has the right to accuse Yoruba, Bini, Itshekiri, Urhobo sons of fighting against Biafra.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Katsumoto: 8:26pm On Jun 05, 2010
Dede1:

What morality are you talking about? Of course, Azikiwe had every socio-political audacity to be a leader in the western regional house of assembly. He contested and won seat to represent a constituency in western region. By the way, Azikiwe was not the only Igbo person that won a seat into western regional house of assembly.

I guess you got it wrong on the issue of Eyo Ita who was an Ibibio. There were more to the case than eyes could see. Eyo Ita was a victim of his greediness and ingratitude. Did you inquire while Eyo Ita became a spy of the British colonial masters? When Eyo Ita decamped from NCNC on the urging of Awolowo, he was trounced in the polls by a headmaster from his town who ran under NCNC.

At the same era in discourse, a Hausa man was elected the first mayor of Enugu. If there was non-easterner qualified enough and commands the credentials to win in the east, such person will win.

Of course he had the right to be a leader of the Western house. Afterall, he was Igbo. It was written from time memorial that anytime an Igbo person wants to rule in the west, he should be so permitted. You expect political maturity from others when that maturity is non-existent in your own house. I ask again, why was Zik running from the East? Or what was so inviting in the west?

If you read my earlier responses to FACE, you will realise that I am aware that there were other non-westerners in the western house.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by olafolarin(m): 8:29pm On Jun 05, 2010
During the Civil war,One Colonel Victor Banjo(Yoruba man) fought on the Biafra side and led the battalion that fought the hardest part of the war-The Ore invasion,

So also Col Adegboyega led the Middle Belt attack.

Most people supporting Ojukwu should read Col Nzefili's account of the war and how Ojukwu was fooled by the French.Ojukwu led his people to destruction and should be tried for aggravated manslaughter amongst other offences
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Katsumoto: 8:31pm On Jun 05, 2010
FACE:

The Yoruba people had a right to decide who their leader was is very different from "why should Zik aspire to be that leader" and referencing the UK. Why did Michael Howard lead the English Tory party, even though he is at best Welsh ?

By your arguement, George Galloway shouldn't have contested in Bethnal Green because he is not "like them".

If the "Yoruba people were liberal to allow" non Yoruba to fight and win elections in their respective constituencies , do  you think that they would not like the constituency representative to lead the house with the hope that his leadership might skew some favours their way ? Also, if they showed acceptance of those people at constituency level, why would those people not be encourage to vie for leadership knowing that they already enjoy some trust and support.

I daresay that it is the responsibility of every constituency representative to vie to represent his constituency at the highest level, therefore Zik was very right to vie for that leadership and he also had reasonable support in that regard.

Whatever rights you think Zik, or anyone else for that matter, had, the fact remains that Yoruba sons rejected him as their leader. They decided to go for a Yoruba leader and going by the way events played out, they made the right decision.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by EzeUche(m): 8:37pm On Jun 05, 2010
olafolarin:

Most people supporting Ojukwu should read Col Nzefili's account of the war and how Ojukwu was fooled by the French.Ojukwu led his people to destruction and should be tried for aggravated manslaughter amongst other offences

How dare you say that!!!

Ojukwu protected us in our time of need. When the Nigerian gov't refused to protect us from the rampaging mobs up north, he came to our defense and protected us.

Everyone who slaughtered innocent children and women should be tried for crimes against humanity. Starvation was the tactic and a genocide was committed against my people.

Yes, I said, a genocide orchestrated by Gowon, the Emirs of the North and [b]Awolowo [/b]himself!
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by EzeUche(m): 8:40pm On Jun 05, 2010
Katsumoto:

Whatever rights you think Zik, or anyone else for that matter, had, the fact remains that Yoruba sons rejected him as their leader. They decided to go for a Yoruba leader and going by the way events played out, they made the right decision.

And that shows how tribalistic your people are. That quote right there.

Thanks for showing the bigotry of your people.

Zik the Pan-Africanist and Awolowo the tribalist.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by FACE(m): 8:40pm On Jun 05, 2010
Katsumoto:

Ok, you agree that he had the right to vie for that leadership, but he did not get enough support to sail through. That position is very different from "he had no moral right" to vie for leadership, when he already was a constituent representative, elected by people who unlike yourself see things beyond the ethnic line.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by farochron(m): 8:45pm On Jun 05, 2010
Olafolarin,

Pls kindly post the link to the colonel's side of the story. I'm interested. Thanks
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by EzeUche(m): 8:49pm On Jun 05, 2010
Why is it only Yorubas always trying to bring down Ojukwu?

What is there obsession with the man/
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Katsumoto: 8:51pm On Jun 05, 2010
FACE:

Ok, you agree that he had the right to vie for that leadership, but he did not get enough support to sail through. That position is very different from "he had no moral right" to vie for leadership, when he already was a constituent representative, elected by people who unlike yourself see things beyond the ethnic line.

What ethnic line are you talking about? There is no need to imagine things. As a Nigerian, I don't mind anyone from any tribe being president AS LONG AS THEY ARE QUALIFIED but as a Yoruba person, I am less inclined to accept a non-yoruba as my state governor or regional premier. The outsiders must be more qualified than my tribes person for me to consider him. In this case, Zik was not more qualified than Awo.That is just nature. Why did it take America over 200 years to elect a black? [size=20pt]While we are on the subject, how many non-easterners have been elected in the East? Any one who accuses the Yoruba of bigotry for not accepting Zik as leader of the Western region is a bloody fool. Why did the East not elect a non-eastern regional premier? Afterall, there were many Yoruba people in NCNC. It is on record that the most accommodating region was the western region as it had many non-yorubas in its house.[/size]

[size=20pt]FACE AND EZEUCHE, Since you are so liberal, when are you going to sponsor a non Igbo for the governorship of your states?[/size]

I am out, it appears I am debating with people who want to eat their cake and still have it. In an era of uncertainty and nascency you are asking for political maturity from others when you were not extending same to others.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by farochron(m): 8:58pm On Jun 05, 2010
EzeUche,

Why is it only Yorubas always trying to bring down Ojukwu

Come on Shut up there! Who started all these tribalistics comments. a yoruba son posted something about their revered leader and you Igbos came here to defame him and you are talking about bringing Ojukwu down. What else does any sane person want to bring down in Ojukwu. Is he not down already.

OJukwu the Infamous Coward will be my first post on nairaland. When it comes to front page tell Seun to ban me.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by SapeleGuy: 9:02pm On Jun 05, 2010
WE have been at each others throats for too long, give peace a chance.
Why are some of you people wasting time abusing people who are long dead.
Compared to the ants we have today, the men of the first republic, Zik, Awo, Okotie - Eboh were giants.

Our chief tormentors are in Nigeria alive and chopping our commonwealth. Please try and remember this. Let the dead rest in peace.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Dede1(m): 9:04pm On Jun 05, 2010
Katsumoto:

What ethnic line are you talking about? There is no need to imagine things. As a Nigerian, I don't mind anyone from any tribe being president AS LONG AS THEY ARE QUALIFIED but as a Yoruba person, I am less inclined to accept a non-yoruba as my state governor or regional premier. The outsiders must be more qualified than my tribes person for me to consider him. In this case, Zik was not more qualified than Awo.That is just nature. Why did it take America over 200 years to elect a black? [size=20pt]While we are on the subject, how many non-easterners have been elected in the East? Any one who accuses the Yoruba of bigotry for not accepting Zik as leader of the Western region is a bloody fool. Why did the East not elect a non-eastern regional premier? Afterall, there were many Yoruba people in NCNC. It is on record that the most accommodating region was the western region as it had many non-yorubas in its house.[/size]

[size=20pt]FACE AND EZEUCHE, Since you are so liberal, when are you going to sponsor a non Igbo for the governorship of your states?[/size]

I am out, it appears I am debating with people who want to eat their cake and still have it. In an era of uncertainty and nascency you are asking for political maturity from others when you were not extending same to others.

This is unlike you showing signs of emotional rascality. If Yoruba or non-easterner had contested for a seat from any constituency in eastern region and contestant’s party won the majority of the seats during the polls, the non-easterner would have been elected regional premier without qualms.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by farochron(m): 9:05pm On Jun 05, 2010
Tell me. How can Ojukwu rest in Peace. I agree Zik, Awo and Taf can rest in peace but how can Ojukwu do. A man that ws supporting babangida just few months ago.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Katsumoto: 9:08pm On Jun 05, 2010
Dede1:

This is unlike you showing signs of emotional rascality. If Yoruba or non-easterner had contested for a seat from any constituency in eastern region and contestant’s party won the majority of the seats during the polls, the non-eastern would have been elected regional premier without qualms.

Please read the responses from FACE and EzeUche and respond accordingly.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Dede1(m): 9:15pm On Jun 05, 2010
olafolarin:

During the Civil war,One Colonel Victor Banjo(Yoruba man) fought on the Biafra side and led the battalion that fought the hardest part of the war-The Ore invasion,

So also Col Adegboyega led the Middle Belt attack.

Was he not the same punk who denied his ancestral lineage hoping such dubious and sacrilegious behavior would earn him favor from Nigerians, the enemies, who fostered war of attrition on Biafra?
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by FACE(m): 9:16pm On Jun 05, 2010
When Malam Umaru Altine (from sokoto) became fought for election and became the first lord mayor of Enugu, FACE did not sponsor him neither did FACE sponsor Azikiwe in the west. He who dares wins. If you want something you ask for it and look for support.

Anybody is free to be the governor of Abia state as long as they live and do their business in Abia, afterall what did we benefit from Kalu and Orji ?

Usually, I do not have time for round abouts so you have tried in that regard. It's good you are taking a bow, but my points have been made.

Back to topic. Awo was a great leader only to Yoruba people. Okpara and Mbakwe were eons ahead of him in achievement, but I would not call them the greatest Nigerian leaders because their areas of influence did not extend to all parts of Nigeria.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by KnowAll(m): 9:33pm On Jun 05, 2010
[size=14pt]Awolowo was an astutue state's man, a man that ruled by policies rather than sentiments. Just like the the colonalist who where handing over to Nigeria, Awolowo knew early enough that the Colonialist where not in anyway better than the average educated black African. What he noticed about these people(the Colonialist), their word was their bond. There was no reason promising things you cannot deliver, even if it meant delivering your promise at great expense one should not abandon a promise made at the heat of electioneering.

I would not say free education was particulary cheap, it takes a leader who is prepared to shun the good life, the glam, and the hype to execute a people's programme. He did this programme despite the fact that if he chooses to abandon or ditch such a high profile programme it would only at best equate him with lesser mortals like Zik and the Sarduna.

Awolowo was a premire if giving the British economy to manage at the time would have excelled more than well established English Politicians of that time , for anyone to compare this ingenious adminstrator with some clueless newly emerging Nigerian Politicians who view or see the White Colonialist as a demigod is beyond comprehension.

Awolowo was the Western region's gain and the Nigerian nation's loss. Why should any Yoruba Or the Awolowo family lose sleep over not ruling Nigeria, who is at a loss today thank God we have the benefit of hindsight to comprehensively analyse the Comparative developmental leap in Ibadan City from 1955 to 1963.

I heard someone say Ibadan is a dead city today, it took 27 years of bad Governance from 1983 to 2010 to bring that City to its knees. In fact the dearth of the city actually commenced when the so called sons of the soil took the mantle of leadership of Ibadan and that was from late 1983 to the present day, 27 years of dis-investement and capital flight would kill any city. But what Awolowo put on ground stood the test of time for a good 20 year period between 1963 and 1983. The last Awoist that ruled that city was Bola Ige, and from then ON it was a monumental decline.

The idea of having an  investment company in the early 1960's to manage investments of the region is an idea at par with utopianic realisms this abstract concept is not stuff the average investment Bankers of the 1960's would fathom,  but remains in the realm of the now well known complex derivatives economics packaged by physicist and quantum physisct of today.

Although in its infancy and nascent,  it was a well thought idea theorectically that needed tweaking, the modus openrendi overwhealmed the managers who where operating at a distance level hence the decline and summarily failure of Odua Investment.

Odua Investment if in the hands of men of similar vision would have being the largest conglomerate in West Africa but it has gone down the pan like every other thing in Nigeria. Awolowo's vision in the 1960's is a vision that would confortable sit in tandem with any policy of present day Nigeria and would not be seen as a spent idea or a relic. Now let us compare Awolowo's postulation's with morden day Ojukwu who is urging his Igbo Kinsman to vote for the greatest looter in Nigeria history.

That kind of association does not do justice to Ojukwu,  where does one place such unintelligible rantings when compared with the still relevant and ready to deploy policies of Awolowo. It is even unthinkable to measure AWO with any living or dead Nigeria, the thought of such comparism is bothering on blasphemy I am not implying Awo is a God, no at all, he is a blessing from God to the Yoruba race, the fact that Nigerians deny him a stint to rule her is not Yoruba's loss but Nigeria's loss.[/size]
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by EzeUche(m): 9:35pm On Jun 05, 2010
Dr. Michael Okpara was a better leader than Awolowo if you want to compare tribal chieftains. I support revering Okpara more than I would ever revere the "Great" Zik of Africa. But to say Awolowo had no equal. Please!

"Dr. Michael Okpara, a strong advocate of what he termed “pragmatic socialism,” Dr. Okpara reasoned that Nigeria’s salvation hinged on agricultural revolution. To this end, he acquired and managed a large farm in his hometown; thus inspiring many Eastern Nigerian leaders to take up interest in farming. Apart from revolutionizing Agriculture in Eastern Nigeria, Dr. Okpara has to his credit the industrialization of such notable Nigerian cities as Enugu (Eastern Nigeria’s government seat), Port Harcourt, Calabar, Aba and his hometown of Umuahia. He also championed the educational and infrastructural development of Eastern Nigeria. Successive Eastern Nigerian leaders (governors of Abia, Anambra, Akwa Ibom, Cross River, Rivers, Ebonyi, Imo, Bayelsa and Enugu states) have yet to build upon the selfless leadership and accomplishments of Dr. Okpara."
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by FACE(m): 10:28pm On Jun 05, 2010
EzeUche:

Dr. Michael Okpara was a better leader than Awolowo if you want to compare tribal chieftains. I support revering Okpara more than I would ever revere the "Great" Zik of Africa. But to say Awolowo had no equal. Please!

"Dr. Michael Okpara, a strong advocate of what he termed “pragmatic socialism,” Dr. Okpara reasoned that Nigeria’s salvation hinged on agricultural revolution. To this end, he acquired and managed a large farm in his hometown; thus inspiring many Eastern Nigerian leaders to take up interest in farming. Apart from revolutionizing Agriculture in Eastern Nigeria, Dr. Okpara has to his credit the industrialization of such notable Nigerian cities as Enugu (Eastern Nigeria’s government seat), Port Harcourt, Calabar, Aba and his hometown of Umuahia. He also championed the educational and infrastructural development of Eastern Nigeria. Successive Eastern Nigerian leaders (governors of Abia, Anambra, Akwa Ibom, Cross River, Rivers, Ebonyi, Imo, Bayelsa and Enugu states) have yet to build upon the selfless leadership and accomplishments of Dr. Okpara."

Dr, Okpara did not even have a house to his name by the time he left office. What a man, but we still are not going to say he was the greatest.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Onlytruth(m): 11:15pm On Jun 05, 2010
FACE:

Dr, Okpara did not even have a house to his name by the time he left office. What a man, but we still are not going to say he was the greatest.

That man has no equal in the annals of Nigerian regional leadership. No doubt.
What insults my intelligence is when a guy who achieved less than giants like Okpara is being posthumously lionized as the greatest leader Nigeria never had. When Ojukwu made that statement at Awo's funeral, he was actually taunting the late man for his failure to achieve his lifetime's dream. Some folks are here echoing the same cleverly wrapped taunt as compliment by the lion of Biafra.
Nonsense.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Musiwa13: 11:40pm On Jun 05, 2010
Dede1 , you ask for igbos hero that have street named after them in yorubaland.   You should have ask which  one does not have street name after. If I start listing the whole page is full.

While if you go to abuja, apart from a road after awolowo. Not enough a building of hall was named after awolowo. And some people say we have one nigerian. Even people who are nobody in Nigeria, the federal govt of nigeria named building after them. should we  demand that the new stadium in abuja should be name after chief obafemi awolowo before they know they should do it.  There is no airport named after awolowo.

Abacha house . How can you compare Abacha to Awolowo. What did abacha do for nigerian and nigeria, NOTHING.

To show you the discrimination against the Yoruba. instead of the Nigeria senate naming the abuja stadium after Chief MKO abiola, they refused and named another stadium because No yorubaman .
I forgot we are in nigeria, Yorubas people are not complete human. Horse use for playing polo in abuja have things names after. Even after for the useless road named after obasanjo. name another thing.
Obasanjo don suffer.
You must ask yourself which thing did they name after awolowo.
And they claim we have one nigeria.  even police commissioner in abuja have building named after. Not awolowo. It tell you that abuja is not for us. They own abuja.

mbadiwe have one of the longs road in Nigera, in a top expensive area of lagos. a plot of land on that street , is worth $0.5 million. just a plot.
Zik has street named after him in every state in yorubaland.
Opara the same thing. We do not want to talk of building.
Airport in lagos is name after murtala. In every state in Yorubaland. Muritala has a street name after him in more than 10 city in yorubas. So is shagari. Ahmed bello and balewa,

We dont find that in other part of nigeria, name street after yoruba.

In lagos alone. the yorubas have name over 200 street with igbo names. so when you do the final stat how many igbo men that have street name after them in Yorubaland. we would be talking of over 1000 streets. some of this men are nobody. Why,  Because we do not discriminate against people. We have an open door policy. And other none nigeria, over 3000 streets.  over 300 street are named after british citizen and portuguese.

But when you look at other part of nigeria, you would be lucky if you find a street with 30 yoruba name.
Even when you look at jonathan chance of winning, he stand a better chance the most among yorubas than anywhere apart for his refusal to reform the system  based on the satellite pictures. even higher than igboland. if he had picked a yoruba northerner, as vice president. it would have been a clean sweep. and put the election out of reach of anyone.

So when you people start this igbo /yoruba fight on the internet, most yorubas would be thinking you people are crazy. Honestly. people think you people are crazy.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Tuyis: 11:50pm On Jun 05, 2010
Onlytruth:

What insults my intelligence is when a guy who achieved less than giants like Okpara is being posthumously lionized as the greatest leader Nigeria never had. When Ojukwu made that statement at Awo's funeral, he was actually taunting the late man for his failure to achieve his lifetime's dream. Some folks are here echoing the same cleverly wrapped taunt as compliment by the lion of Biafra.
Nonsense.

That would make Ojukwu a very small minded man, don't you think? I don't think you are right though, or maybe I'm wrong.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by SapeleGuy: 12:06am On Jun 06, 2010
Onlytruth:

Nonsense.

It is a question of perception. Harold Wilson the British Premier also said Awo was good enough to lead the USA and Britain but was simply too early for Nigeria.

Ojukwu's comments were far from taunts but an eloquent eulogy to a worthy adversary. You are doing him a great disservice to imply otherwise. Think about it, is Ojukwu not friends with IBB?
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Katsumoto: 12:18am On Jun 06, 2010
SapeleGuy:

It is a question of perception. Harold Wilson the British Premier also said Awo was good enough to lead the USA and Britain but was simply too early for Nigeria.

Ojukwu's comments were far from taunts but an eloquent eulogy to a worthy adversary. You are doing him a great disservice to imply otherwise. Think about it, is Ojukwu not friends with IBB?

Gbam
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by jasman1: 12:34am On Jun 06, 2010
Every thing you may have said about Awolowo may be true for the Yorubas. Awolowo was a tribalist not a national figure. so short up and stop misrepresenting the fact about this man. His vision and everything is for the Yorubas. He's not our drean Nigerian Leader. just a Yoruba man that loves his tribe men and women. What Nigeria needs is a true Leader that loves Nigeria and Nigerians even if he's not of Yoruba tribd
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by EzeUche(m): 12:49am On Jun 06, 2010
jas man:

Every thing you may have said about Awolowo may be true for the Yorubas. Awolowo was a tribalist not a national figure. so short up and stop misrepresenting the fact about this man. His vision and everything is for the Yorubas. He's not our drean Nigerian Leader. just a Yoruba man that loves his tribe men and women. What Nigeria needs is a true Leader that loves Nigeria and Nigerians even if he's not of Yoruba tribd

Gbam!
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Musiwa13: 12:53am On Jun 06, 2010
Can some give jonathan better slap.

Does he know his history. or have he ever heard of a place call  Idumagbo in lagos. Where does he think the name comes from. The real name is Idumu Arogbo (ijaw).  Now where is idumagbo, it is in lagos. Should jonathan still wait to give lagos a fair share of the cake.

Does Jonathan knows who the arogbos are, ?? does jonathan knows the meaning of idumu arogbo

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (27) (Reply)

Ben Bruce Slams Chude Jideonwo And Tolu Ogunlesi / ''charly Boy Is The Number One Mumu In Nigeria'' - Deji Adeyanju Says / Oshiomhole’s Suspension: Andrew Emwanta drags Justice Lewis Allagoa to The NJC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.