Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,314 members, 7,836,362 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:15 AM

Awolowo Had No Equal - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awolowo Had No Equal (29686 Views)

See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 / awolowo had no power to remove Western nigeria from Nigeria. Only Ademusiwa has / Eze:awolowo Had Nothing To Do With Biafra,gowon Who Lead The Killing 1 Million (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Musiwa13: 3:54am On Jun 05, 2010
Why do you make it look like we hate you. Sorry, we have forgive you people along time. It is the satellite pictures we are worried about. Not the history of the past. We cant do anything about that/
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Tuyis: 4:07am On Jun 05, 2010
Onlytruth:

I'm surprised even you genius boy is befuddled by my position.

Okay, I'll break it down again for ya.

You have succeeded in frustrating our peaceful or violent exit from Nigeria, but the emergent Nigeria will come with some consequences for you. You MUST live with the prospect of possibly being tenants in your land ('cos frankly my bros won't stop buying up your lands grin). Some of you will one day feel uncomfortable over this (some are already showing those signs). A day will come (unless you stop being selfish and clannish) when you would wish you had opted out of Nigeria or helped Biafra.

Only that by then, we Ndigbo must have warmed up to the Nigeria that came to be and would likely fight against anyone trying to secede, most likely you. Gerrit now?

But you need to remember that, you can only collect rents in a peaceful atmosphere. God forbid there's a similar situation to 1966 - 1970 again, I think the last thing on your mind will be to go and collect your rents.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Onlytruth(m): 4:17am On Jun 05, 2010
Tuyis:

But you need to remember that, you can only collect rents in a peaceful atmosphere. God forbid there's a similar situation to 1966 - 1970  again, I think the last thing on your mind will be to go and collect your rents.

Ol' boy who told you that Ndigbo would cede an inch of their properties to you?

As a matter of fact most of our guys in Lagos are almost like indigenes now. They know all the nooks and crannies of that land and use all your babalawo just like you. If push comes to shove, they import people from the east. They did that during "Abiola riots", so what makes you think they would ever leave their landed properties in Lagos?

Maybe in the 60s it could have happened but today (after 40 tortuous years in the crucible called Nigeria) these guys are prepared to fight anyone anywhere in Nigeria. Dey dia de wait for my property. Na for naija we dey!
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by SEFAGO(m): 4:19am On Jun 05, 2010
Onlytruth:

I'm surprised even you genius boy is befuddled by my position.

Okay, I'll break it down again for ya.

You have succeeded in frustrating our peaceful or violent exit from Nigeria, but the emergent Nigeria will come with some consequences for you. You MUST live with the prospect of possibly being tenants in your land ('cos frankly my bros won't stop buying up your lands grin). Some of you will one day feel uncomfortable over this (some are already showing those signs). A day will come (unless you stop being selfish and clannish) when you would wish you had opted out of Nigeria or helped Biafra.

Only that by then, we Ndigbo must have warmed up to the Nigeria that came to be and would likely fight against anyone trying to secede, most likely you. Gerrit now?

Not really, I live in lagos, I always noticed that people were always scared that the government could seize any land. Infact I am sure that there is somewhere in our constitution which make it easy for the government and yoruba obas sef to seize lands. I am just curious how the enterprising igbo would be able to deal with the hungry yoruba boys who could be paid N 50 to eject igbo people from yorubaland.

I really want to know what you will do in this instance
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by SEFAGO(m): 4:22am On Jun 05, 2010
As a matter of fact most of our guys in Lagos are almost like indigenes now. They know all the nooks and crannies of that land and use all your babalawo just like you. If push comes to shove, they import people from the east. They did that during "Abiola riots", so what makes you think they would ever leave their landed properties in Lagos?

They will. Trust me. Not everyone likes to fight. There are some responsible igbo people who would leave everything and run away abroad or to alaigbo than fight with a hoard of yoruba boys instructed by the Oba to retake a land.

You really dont know what you are talking about. I lived in VI, and there was so much trouble over land there, it was ridiculous. The Oba was the one making money from the land while his people lived in poverty undecided
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Onlytruth(m): 4:29am On Jun 05, 2010
SEFAGO:

They will. Trust me. Not everyone likes to fight. There are some responsible igbo people who would leave everything and run away abroad or to alaigbo than fight with a hoard of yoruba boys instructed by the Oba to retake a land.

You really dont know what you are talking about. I lived in VI, and there was so much trouble over land there, it was ridiculous. The Oba was the one making money from the land while his people lived in poverty  undecided

The situation has not been fully tested. I know for a fact that none of current Igbo property owners in Lagos would leave them for ANYBODY. Even government has bounds to forced acquisition of private property. As for the guys you pay N50 to make trouble, we also have them in Onitsha, Aba and Nnewi. They used to be called the Bakassi boys. They are still there.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Tuyis: 4:35am On Jun 05, 2010
Onlytruth:

Maybe in the 60s it could have happened but today (after 40 tortuous years in the crucible called Nigeria) these guys are prepared to fight anyone anywhere in Nigeria. Dey dia de wait for my property. Na for naija we dey!

Multiply Lagos by say 1000 and you will start to see why you cannot take anything violently from Yorubaland.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by SEFAGO(m): 4:45am On Jun 05, 2010

The situation has not been fully tested. I know for a fact that none of current Igbo property owners in Lagos would leave them for ANYBODY. Even government has bounds to forced acquisition of private property. As for the guys you pay N50 to make trouble, we also have them in Onitsha, Aba and Nnewi. They used to be called the Bakassi boys. They are still there.

I think we have somethin in the SW called OPC. Infact I would wager that they would be happy to get some free land in the process of dealing with a couple of igbos. I think there Juju pass Bakassi boys. Except you want to transport Okija shrine to Ibadan grin

So you have not tested the plan yet? Hmm
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Tuyis: 4:49am On Jun 05, 2010
Onlytruth:

What are they going to do? Take their properties with them to the East?
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by EzeUche(m): 4:50am On Jun 05, 2010
No one is afraid of some Yoruba. lol

No Hausa or Igbo in Lagos is afraid of some Yorubas.

If a Yoruba takes a Hausa's property, the Hausa would murder the Yoruba guys whole family. We seen what that one crazy Hausa dude did in Edo state.

Igbos are definitely not afraid of any Yoruba. If we can handle the north, we can definitely hand Yorubaland. Yorubas are much tamer than the Hausa. All you do is pay a few Yoruba Area Boys and they will fight their own cousins! grin
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Tuyis: 4:57am On Jun 05, 2010
EzeUche:

If a Yoruba takes a Hausa's property, the Hausa would murder the Yoruba guys whole family. We seen what that one crazy Hausa dude did in Edo state.

Igbos are definitely not afraid of any Yoruba. If we can handle the north, we can definitely hand Yorubaland. Yorubas are much tamer than the Hausa. All you do is pay a few Yoruba Area Boys and they will fight their own cousins! grin

Yeah right! Dream on.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by EzeUche(m): 5:13am On Jun 05, 2010
Tuyis:

Yeah right! Dream on.

No need to dream.

Igbos make up a huge part of Lagos.

The Fulani are continuing to invade your land and what are you Yorubas doing. The answer is nothing.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by sjeezy8: 5:16am On Jun 05, 2010
Eze is dumb the only reason why yorubas have handled you clownss nicely is because there are christian yorubas- If the Oba of Lagos ( a muslim) tell the muslim yorubas you people are causing trouble  for islam, them go show you peppa. and theres more yoruba muslims in Lagos than christians.

All the tafiqs rasaqis, waheeds will begin slaugherting you people -I beg lets not even go there cause you go sabi islam -
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by EzeUche(m): 5:26am On Jun 05, 2010
sjeezy8:

Eze is dumb the only reason why yorubas have handled you clownss nicely is because there are christian yorubas- If the Oba of Lagos ( a muslim) tell the muslim yorubas you people are causing trouble  for islam, them go show you peppa. and theres more yoruba muslims in Lagos than christians.

All the tafiqs rasaqis, waheeds will begin slaugherting you people -I beg lets not even go there cause you go sabi islam -

No Igbo is afraid of some Psuedo-Muslim Yoruba. I mean come on, Muslim Yorubas are not even seen as Muslims .

Yoruba Muslims are still the same as Christian Muslims. Same body frame and cowardliness. Weak people. Compare your average Yoruba male to the average Igbo male, and you will see an Igbo man can break a Yoruba in half. Just look at me.

Weak men! I laugh at you! I would laugh in your face if you said that.

Maybe we Igbos can solve the Ngwa problem in Igboland and send them to Lagos. Let them wreck havoc on Lagos.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Tuyis: 5:27am On Jun 05, 2010
EzeUche:

No need to dream.

Igbos make up a huge part of Lagos.

The Fulani are continuing to invade your land and what are you Yorubas doing. The answer is nothing.

You are right, Nothing. We welcome all Nigerians, we are very accomodating people as you probably know.
But there's a Yoruba proverb that says; "A father and his son cannot jointly own a farm without some boundaries" As long as we try not to violate each others boundaries, I believe we can all get along fine.
I need to advice you and many Igbo with the same mindset as yours, you don't endear yourselves to your host communities by gloating over every little success you achieve. The "we are taking over everything" mentality is not helping matters at all.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by sjeezy8: 5:29am On Jun 05, 2010
I dont even know why im paying this clown attention- hes an idiot.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by EzeUche(m): 5:32am On Jun 05, 2010
sjeezy8:

I dont even know why im paying this clown attention- hes an idiot.

Shut your faggy a ss up!
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by sjeezy8: 5:35am On Jun 05, 2010
back to topic Awolowo had no equals in Nigeria and these guys know it thats why they like to go off topic.

Zik accomplishments as head of the east- notta damn thing
Ojukwu accompishments as head of the east-  leading his people to death
Eyo ita as head of the East- Nothing BS

Heads of the North- all Bushiot

When someone comes with hard proof of anyone better than Awolowo please post them here-
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by EzeUche(m): 5:47am On Jun 05, 2010
^^^^^^

People already provided enough proof.

Why doesn't other groups of people speak fondly of Awolwo?

He does not stack up to the Great Zik of Africa.

The man was just a tribal leader, nothing more and nothing less. Now get that through your thick head.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by sjeezy8: 5:53am On Jun 05, 2010
whos talking about tribes you idiot

When its said Awo had no equal in Nigeria it is meant no one in Nigeria surpassed him and his accomplishments.

Ojukwu accompishments as head of the east- leading his people to death

When someone comes with hard proof of anyone better than Awolowo please post them here-
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Onlytruth(m): 6:20am On Jun 05, 2010
sjeezy8:

whos talking about tribes you idiot

When its said Awo had no equal in Nigeria it is meant no one in Nigeria surpassed him and his accomplishments.

Ojukwu accompishments as head of the east- leading his people to death

lol! This moronic weakling is still here.

Keep dreaming of when we'd abandon our properties for you to inherit.
THIEVES.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by PastorOla1: 9:53am On Jun 05, 2010
We are talking of having opportunity to serve at any level and making impact from Local Government Chairman to President of Nigeria, Free Education was for every Nigeria living in Western part of Nigeria where Awolowo was in-incharge. Most of Our leaders past and present are mostly Men and Women of LITTLE MIND. If Awolowo had the opportunity to lead Nigeria Our story would have change since. With this crops of leader, who are just Money or Little Minded, our road to The Promised Land May still be FAR
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by rhymz(m): 9:54am On Jun 05, 2010
Off all the comments here( still trying to contain my laughter) Musiwa aka Becomrich's off the gist retarded comments is the one I find amusing.
I ve said it several times, I suspect becomrich is some kind of computer programme written for the effect of comic relief and diversions in the event of heated bigoted arguements like this one. . LoL. . How Awo discussion turned into Oba beating his wife in the market place beats my imagination. When ppl dey gist A becomrick abi na Musiwa dey gist Z, as if that is not enough. . Im go just pull out him million dollar onye ara map. . Lol. . If unnoticed. . E go pounce on  Bros Jo and give us a billion reasons why Jo should act fast and yank off Edo, lagos and co into Benin rep. . Hahahaha, . I just dey laf anytime the guy crash enta with him akanchawa delusions. . . That Dude abi na virus programme would be my fav pick for the Craziest Nairalander anytime, anyday, he cracks me up in ways that are unimaginable. . .Watever this guy eats, surely not good for his brain
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by farochron(m): 10:11am On Jun 05, 2010
If Awolowo was the prime minister for the western region and did a lot for his Yoruba fellas like the igbos are criticizing, what stopped the prime minister of the Eastern region to do the same for his people. was he devoid of ideas?
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by kettykings: 10:33am On Jun 05, 2010
@ farchron , please what really did awolowo do for his people , is it cocoa house or liberty stadium ,or is it WNTV ,where these things tangible achievement , where are they today.if he really did a lot for yorubas how come yorubas are not a super tribe or race in nigeria or africa . Where is Ibadan today the dirtiest state capital (Awolowos capital). I hope you are not counting the stuff in lagos as his achievement because if you do that tommorrow the Governors of niger state and Nassarawa will count Abuja as thier achievement.

@sefago and sjeezy8. If the OPC and the touts in lagos were that powerful what did they do when Obasanjo and all the generals of yoruba origin where jailed by an individual (Abacha) . Despite world sympathy and suppor yorubas could not live upto expectation.
How come when the federal government seived 1 niger deltan ( henry okah) the whole world and nigeria did not know any rest till he was released so much so that nigerian army lost so many soldiers and the crude oil export declined .
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Sauron1: 11:12am On Jun 05, 2010
EzeUche:

What a slowpoke. . . .
How many Igbos fled Lagos in the wake of June 12 crisis in 1993 when they couldn't stand the HEAT the Yorubas were bringing.
Thousands of Igbos died in car accidents while running back to their villages with their tails between their legs.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by babapupa: 11:36am On Jun 05, 2010
lol @ Igbo standing up to Hausa folks,

I wonder why den pick race and ran back east like sissy flies when thousands of them got slaughtered up north in the 60s. I even wonder if they took their mud houses with them back east.

Igbos are very known for running, they are weak and can't fight. Ojukwu was coward and he ran like a baby, Zik took off  like a weak leader that he was,

Some of y'all really need to keep quiet for real,
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by kettykings: 12:58pm On Jun 05, 2010
@babapupa even the hausa fulanis ran from the East in the 60s and they still run anytime there is crises in the east like the jan 2006 cartoon riot retaliations in onitsha and the kaduna retaliation riots in 2004.

I don't think igbos are as cowardly as you presume, for them to evecuate their women and children during june 12 problem must have been to clear the way for OPC to finish nigerian soldiers instead OPC turned on innocent igbo business men in the most bewildering case of misplaced agression. And I keep wondering the same OPC did not kill any soldier despite the fact that it was soldiers that annulled june 12 elections ,imprisoned all yoruba generals , chased their Elites to exiles.

I keeo wondering what would have become of the yorubas if Abacha had not died .
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by davidif: 1:04pm On Jun 05, 2010
Great Awo.

Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by sjeezy8: 1:33pm On Jun 05, 2010
kettykings:

@babapupa even the hausa fulanis ran from the East in the 60s and they still run anytime there is crises in the east like the jan 2006 cartoon riot retaliations in onitsha and the kaduna retaliation riots in 2004.

I don't think igbos are as cowardly as you presume, for them to evecuate their women and children during june 12 problem must have been to clear the way for OPC to finish nigerian soldiers instead OPC turned on innocent igbo business men in the most bewildering case of misplaced agression. And I keep wondering the same OPC did not kill any soldier despite the fact that it was soldiers that annulled june 12 elections ,imprisoned all yoruba generals , chased their Elites to exiles.

I keeo wondering what would have become of the yorubas if Abacha had not died .

since when was abachas attack Yorubas Only - If you know your history Shehu Musa Yar'Adua died in Jail. Ken Saro Wiwa died also by the hands of abacha. While Ojukuwu was doing boy boy. abacha had deep hatred for hausa-fulanis.

Hausas-fulanis did not say a word. Infact most people who were actually against Abacha were yorubas( those who died in jail or where exiled). Whos are the cowards again? When Ojukwu thought he was smart - he was just being a sissy.

If you knew your history you would know OPC didnt exist during abachas regime and what ever agression(from Lagos thugs) could have been well placed considering that fact that igbos such as Ojukwu acted as a coward and sycophant - eating abachas left over- NOW HES EATING OUT OFF IBB's yansh ( He has no shame and hes considered a leader).
( That is even if its true that igbos were attacked in Lagos- we know igboS like to make up lies to feel relevant)

I keep wondering to myself what would become of any other ethnic groups in Nigeria- If yorubas Like Obj, Wole Soyinka and co didnt advocate on their behalf because their own leaders have no sense of reasoning? Theres Ojukwu that fled the civil war to come back and support a fulani- the people that slaughtered his own people. There is Zik who was too busy trying to be a yoruba elite owambe parties and- etc . . . I wonder ohhhhhh

and what is your point Hausa-fulanis fled from the newly formed OPC during the mushin riots in Lagos.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by FACE(m): 2:20pm On Jun 05, 2010
To the ant on the table, the world is flat ! Lack of broad world view can only lead to ignorant statements/declarations.

Yoruba people revere Awolowo, and maybe rightly so in their opinion because he impacted on their lives thus : University in Ife, First TV stations in Africa, Liberty Stadium, Ikeja industrial estate,  and most of all, free primary education.

While all those achievements are laudable, declaring Awo the best Nigerian leader would be akin to the World series games in America where only American teams participate and are crowned world champions.  

Like for like, he was matched or even outshined by other regions at the time.

First TV Station : Yes, but in quick pursuit were Northern Nigeria TV by Ahmadu Bello and ENBC/TV by Okpara.

OAU: Before OAU, There was UNN. OAU showed up in 1962 alongside ABU and Eastern Region University (defunct after the civil war and now known as Forestry Research institute of Nigeria Umuahia.)

Liberty stadium : Ahmadu Bello Stadium, Tafawa Balewa Stadium (Altho not built by the regional govt). Enugu stadium developed from Railway playing fields.

Ikeja industrial Estate (Yaba and Apapa were built by the FG): In the east, there were industrial centres in Aba, Enugu and trans Amadi Industrial Layout in PH. Golden Guinea Breweries and Ceramics industry in Umuahia, Nkalagu Cement and erstwhile Calabar Cement factory were all legacies of Michael Okpara. I do not know about Bello, but he might have done something similar in the north too.

Free education: short lived, albeit commendable. It was only at primary level and was his prerogative.  The north should have followed suit in that regard, but the eastern region embraced western education with both arms and since people went to school in any case, the regional govt found it more important to channel their resources elsewhere. The records show that they did not lag behind in education as result of not following suit with free education.

In mordern times, did Awo really surpass Jakande ? Well, he did not surpass Mbakwe for sure.

Mbakwe to Imo and Abians was a god. In terms of layout and design, only Abuja beats Owerri. The streets are straight as graph. I don't know of any other City in Nigeria (apart from Umuahia to an extent) with a network of underground sewer system, which link all the drainage (gutters) in the city centre. The second state University (after Anambra) and initiative to self-tax and build Imo airport to mention a few, were all part of Mbakwe's legacies.

Yes, Awolowo was your god, but he can't be god to all.

To all those talking about contesting election elsewhere and using UK as an example, all I can say is that you shot yourselves on the foot. Tony Blair for instance was born in Scotland and represented an English constituency. Michael Howard was born in Wales to a Romanian father, represented an English constituency, was tory leader and could have become the Premier had the tories won. Examples abound and ignorance is no longer bliss.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Dede1(m): 2:37pm On Jun 05, 2010
Katsumoto, it is unfortunate that you wrote Awolowo was the premier of western region from 1954 to 1959. The regions did not become autonomous with regional powers until 1956. All the regional governments were led by heads or leaders of government and regional governors.

The statement you made that Awolowo was the premier of western region is akin to Protectorates having a Prime Minister before Nigeria became independent country. Are you so mesmerized by the ethnic bias that you seem to loose the historical touch?

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (27) (Reply)

Fashola Inspects Wharf Road, Apapa, Other Selected Roads In Lagos / Fatal Accident At Ijebu Ode Claims More Than 50 Lives / Buhari Is The Major Problem Of Nigeria – fayose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.