Stats: 3,194,839 members, 7,956,164 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 06:25 AM

Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills (34930 Views)

Channels TV Addresses Dame Patient As President Of Nigeria [photo] / Reuben Abati On Dame Patience In 2010 / Has Anyone Heard A Word From Dame Patience Recently? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Okijajuju1(m): 12:40am On Aug 04, 2010
^^ I think you meant Nno!! tongue
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Onlytruth(m): 12:41am On Aug 04, 2010
I was thorougly embarrassed after watching that Turai video. It says all you need to know about Nigeria.

I have said it before and I will repeat it:

[size=14pt]NO MORE FEDERAL CHARACTER. NO MORE QUOTA SYSTEM. NO MORE ZONING. [/size]

If you want Nigeria to remain one those things MUST GO!. Else start planning to go your own way. I don't see Ndigbo continuing in this mess.  cool angry
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by 0hsisi: 12:43am On Aug 04, 2010
Onlytruth:

I was thorougly embarrassed after watching that Turai video. It says all you need to know about Nigeria.

I have said it before and I will repeat it:

[size=14pt]NO MORE FEDERAL CHARACTER. NO MORE QUOTA SYSTEM. NO MORE ZONING. [/size]

If you want Nigeria to remain one those things MUST GO!. Else start planning to go your own way. I don't see Ndigbo continuing in this mess.  cool angry

The first time I saw that clip I couldn't believe my ears
and the woman is supposedly a graduate
she's pathetic
sounded like she was singing a song
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by 0hsisi: 12:44am On Aug 04, 2010
I need to see a clip of Mrs Badluck
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Onlytruth(m): 12:46am On Aug 04, 2010
0hsisi:

The first time I saw that clip I couldn't believe my ears
and the woman is supposedly a graduate
she's pathetic
sounded like she was singing a song

I, a Nigerian, struggled to understand what she was saying. Now, imagine how her African American guests would have struggled. embarassed cry I bet you most of them didn't understand what she said.
No wonder being a Nigerian is a HUGE BURDEN in the US.
Frankly, they think that we are insane.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Onlytruth(m): 12:48am On Aug 04, 2010
0hsisi:

I need to see a clip of Mrs Badluck

I didn't see her's on Youtube.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Okijajuju1(m): 12:49am On Aug 04, 2010
She should have saved herself the trouble and spoken in her local dialect and had her aide interprete.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Onlytruth(m): 12:54am On Aug 04, 2010
Okija_juju:

She should have saved herself the trouble and spoken in her local dialect and had her aide interprete.

EXACTLY!  shocked

She could have saved us some embarrassment. The main problem was that she was not articulate. She dabbled from no point to off point. She showed her level of intelligence. How she came to be a first lady beats me. Mind you, we don't have to have a first lady. When Obasanjo's first lady wife died, other of his wives were kept away from Aso rock.
Abi na by force?! angry

That is Nigeria for you. cry
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by agabaI23(m): 12:54am On Aug 04, 2010
Poster,

Did you understand her? Yes you did. Therefore she communicated clearly. May be she does not have good English skills but your example did not showcase lack of communication skills.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by agabaI23(m): 12:56am On Aug 04, 2010
Onlytruth:

EXACTLY!  shocked

She could have saved us some embarrassment. The main problem was that she was not articulate. She dabbled from no point to off point. She showed her level of intelligence. How she came to be a first lady beats me. Mind you, we don't have to have a first lady. When Obasanjo's first lady wife died, other of his wives were kept away from Aso rock.
Abi na by force?! angry

Embarrassment? That she could not speak another man's language very well? Spare me please!!!!!!!
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Onlytruth(m): 12:57am On Aug 04, 2010
We don't have to have a first lady. All illiterate / semi-literate women should be kept far away from Nigeria's "first lady" seat. It is not a constitutional seat.

The guests in Turai's case kept emphasizing she is "Nigeria's first lady".
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Onlytruth(m): 12:58am On Aug 04, 2010
agabaI23:

Embarrassment? That she could not speak another man's language very well? Spare me please!!!!!!!

Dude if you can't read please move on. I don't have time for people who can't read.

This is what I said:

The main problem was that she was not articulate. She dabbled from no point to off point. She showed her level of intelligence.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Nobody: 1:04am On Aug 04, 2010
agabaI23:

that's nonsense. English is our national language. Its just like saying a French man cant speak french.

Besides like onlytruth said, the problem wasnt in the inability to speak, it was in the inability to articulate a point effectively. Some Russians cant speak english well but at least you have an idea what message they are trying to convey. this is a woman who thinks she's talking to 2 yr olds.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by agabaI23(m): 1:22am On Aug 04, 2010
Onlytruth:

Dude if you can't read please move on. I don't have time for people who can't read.

This is what I said:

O chairman sorry I can read and comprehend as well.

Look at the post I quoted.

' Exactly' and 'She should have saved some embarrassment' were your response to another person's post who suggested she should have used her native dialect.
I responded to that based on your inspiration.

Your later line of thought is dislocated  from the former. Please spare me. Anu mpam!

@David,

so you do not have problem with the Russian or Chinese when they murder English? You Understand them because you choose to excuse them. But for a Nigerian like in any other thing, we set high standards for ourselves.

Let the Journalist interview her in her native dialect.

We are not native speakers even if English is our national language otherwise you would have no need writing TOEFL or IELTS exams for various international purposes.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Onlytruth(m): 1:30am On Aug 04, 2010
agabaI23:

O chairman sorry I can read and comprehend as well.

Look at the post I quoted.

' Exactly' and 'She should have saved some embarrassment' were your response to another person's post who suggested she should have used her native dialect.
I responded to that based on your inspiration.

Your latter line of thought is dislocated  from the former. Please spare me. Anu mpam!

@David,

so you do not have problem with the Russian or Chinese when they murder English? You Understand them because you choose to excuse them. But for a Nigerian like in any other thing, we set high standards for ourselves.

Let the Journalist interview her in her native dialect.

We are not native speakers even if English is our national language otherwise you would have no need writing TOEFL or IELTS exams for various international purposes.

Who is the cowardly goat here?

You wait for me to log out before sneaking back to poo. Goat.

Like I said before, if you cannot read, please move on.  cool

BTW here's my original quote:

Onlytruth:

EXACTLY!  shocked

She could have saved [size=14pt]us[/size] some embarrassment. [b]The main problem was that she was not articulate. [/b]She dabbled from no point to off point. She showed her level of intelligence. How she came to be a first lady beats me. Mind you, we don't have to have a first lady. When Obasanjo's first lady wife died, other of his wives were kept away from Aso rock.
Abi na by force?! angry

And I stand by it 100%  cool
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Nobody: 1:33am On Aug 04, 2010
agaba you really have no argument here . . . i get tired of arguing just to sound correct.

I'm sorry but i fail to relate what you are saying to what either myself or only truth are talking about. you seem to be talking to yourself. We are not saying that Russians dont speak worse English . . . the difference is that at least some of them can articulate what they have to say. Articulation has NOTHING to do with your fluency in a language, it is a matter of your own mental acuity.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Onlytruth(m): 1:36am On Aug 04, 2010
Articulation has nothing to do with language. That is what interpreters are for.

[size=14pt]Speak Hausa please![/size] cool Let interpreters do their job.; and while you are at it, please talk sense, not gibberish.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Onlytruth(m): 1:38am On Aug 04, 2010
davidylan:

agaba you really have no argument here . . . i get tired of arguing just to sound correct.

I'm sorry but i fail to relate what you are saying to what either myself or only truth are talking about. you seem to be talking to yourself. We are not saying that Russians dont speak worse English . . . the difference is that at least some of them can articulate what they have to say. Articulation has NOTHING to do with your fluency in a language, it is a matter of your own mental acuity.

Thanks a million please! cool
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by agabaI23(m): 1:47am On Aug 04, 2010
Onlytruth:

Who is the cowardly goat here?

You wait for me to log out before sneaking back to poo. Goat.

Like I said before, if you cannot read, please move on.  cool

BTW here's my original quote:

And I stand by it 100%  cool

Sorry bro, I was doing something else. I didn't know I had to reply you immediately.

Well I just pointed out the structure of your post to you and told you why responded the way I did.

@david
Thanks a billion, at least I can hear myself if you do not hear me

Remember you are slaying the woman first because of her NiEnglish. And the righteous Onlytruth said she embarrassed him because of a point raised by another poster.

What I am saying is that she may not be articulate because she is not fluent in English. She is not English and as such should be pardoned. If the Journalist wants to see her articulate, let him interview her in her native language.

BTW I am sorry that you failed to comprehend my earlier argument. I hope you get it this timecheesy
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Nobody: 1:51am On Aug 04, 2010
agabaI23:

Sorry bro, I was doing something else. I didn't know I had to reply you immediately.

Well I just pointed out the structure of your post to you and told you why responded the way I did.

@david
Thanks a billion, at least I can hear myself if you do not hear me

Remember you are slaying the woman first because of her NiEnglish. And the righteous Onlytruth said she embarrassed him because of a point raised by another poster.

What I am saying is that she may not be articulate because she is not fluent in English. She is not English and as such should be pardoned. If the Journalist wants to see her articulate, let him interview her in her native language.

BTW I am sorry that you failed to comprehend my earlier argument. I hope you get it this timecheesy

you're making it up now as you go. I never insinuated such. I dont speak yoruba that excellently but i can still articulate a point without sounding like a retarded child. There are FAR MANY heads of states who dont speak English so well . . . they dont speak like they are addressing a gathering of 3 yr old orphans either.

Even if she were speaking hausa, its doubtful she could do much better. Not knowing what to say, not being smart enough to convey an intelligent opinion cannot simply be blamed on lack of fluency in a language.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by agabaI23(m): 1:57am On Aug 04, 2010
David,

I am not making anything up. See my first post on this thread and then check the second.

I did not watch the said interview and so I cannot comment on her communication skills. I was up in arms when the Original poster was referring to lack of English skills as lack of communication skills.

Someone can be thrown off balance if the language of communication is not solid in his mouth. I have seen scholars struggle to make their points in a field they are experts in just because of language barrier.
Spare the dame please grin
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Onlytruth(m): 1:58am On Aug 04, 2010
davidylan:

you're making it up now as you go. I never insinuated such. I dont speak yoruba that excellently but i can still articulate a point without sounding like a retarded child. There are FAR MANY heads of states who dont speak English so well . . . they dont speak like they are addressing a gathering of 3 yr old orphans either.

Even if she were speaking hausa, its doubtful she could do much better. Not knowing what to say, not being smart enough to convey an intelligent opinion cannot simply be blamed on lack of fluency in a language.

Like I said already David, thanks a million.

Some people just can't admit fault. Now, imagine such people in power!  shocked shocked shocked
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Nobody: 2:03am On Aug 04, 2010
agabaI23:

David,

I am not making anything up. See my first post on this thread and then check the second.

I did not watch the said interview and so I cannot comment on her communication skills. I was up in arms when the Original poster was referring to lack of English skills as lack of communication skills.

Someone can be thrown off balance if the language of communication is not solid in his mouth. I have seen scholars struggle to make their points in a field they are experts in just because of language barrier.
Spare the dame please grin

then what is the point of you commenting on it?
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Eziachi: 2:05am On Aug 04, 2010
agabaI23:

Continue making excuses! What is another man's language? English is the only language of education and official business in Nigeria from the day she was born till now.

I am not as diplomatic as Davidylan or Onlytruth as we have to be blunt sometime to drive home the truth. The Russians can be excused for speaking poor English if you like, just as we can for the Russian lingo, because Russians are not taught English language from school. While you and I was taught English even from kindergarten. Have you heard Okonjo Iweala or Dora Akunyili speaks? That is how an educated person, who is the image of your country in a world forum, should sound, fluency and articulate.

This Shehu Shagari all over again, when he speaks, you cover your head with blanket of embarrassment, as he pronounces government as gobrumant.

And she is a public figure, that was expected to speak in public, an aclaimed university graduate bt speaks so poorly in your behalf and you wanted to be spared?
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Nobody: 2:08am On Aug 04, 2010
Eziachi:

Continue making excuses! What is another man's language? English is the only language of education and official business in Nigeria from the day she was born till now.

And she is a public figure, that was expected to speak in public, an aclaimed university graduate bt speaks so poorly in your behalf and you wanted to be spared?

I wonder. I'm sure Hausa was not the language of communication in her university.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by agabaI23(m): 2:09am On Aug 04, 2010
Eziachi:

She did not blunder in Ijaw language. Let her be.
davidylan:

then what is the point of you commenting on it?
I commented on the issue surrounding the interview not on the interview my friend! grin
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Onlytruth(m): 2:12am On Aug 04, 2010
agabaI23:

She did not blunder in Ijaw language. Let her be.I commented on the issue surrounding the interview not on the interview my friend! grin

Are we still talking about Turai's speech in Harlem?
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by agabaI23(m): 2:13am On Aug 04, 2010
And by the way, which English are we talking about here? Is it the one a Nigerian will speak and an average foreigner will ask him to repeat himself? Keep deceiving yourselves that you speak English as national language.

Why do you have to sit for TOEFl and IELTS if English is your national language and you are native speakers?
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Onlytruth(m): 2:15am On Aug 04, 2010
agabaI23:

And by the way, which English are we talking about here? Is it the one a Nigerian will speak and an average foreigner will ask him to repeat himself? Keep deceiving yourselves that you speak English as national language.

Why do you have to sit for TOEFl and IELTS if English is your national language and you are native speakers?

Ol boy na wa for you o  sad

So a simple "oh I misunderstood" would kill you?  shocked

Is it that hard to admit a simple mistake? 
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Nobody: 2:16am On Aug 04, 2010
agabaI23:

I commented on the issue surrounding the interview not on the interview my friend! grin

that's partly the problem with the politics section . . . too many people commenting on an issue they are not conversant with yet insisting on digging themselves into a hole.

What do you mean by "commenting on the issue surrounding the interview"?  undecided Do you mean you are blindly responding to the opinion of those who ACTUALLY did see the video?
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Nobody: 2:18am On Aug 04, 2010
agabaI23:

1. The core of the TOEFL exam are the SPOKEN and WRITTEN portions.

2. You are given the test to determine your ability to UNDERSTAND the American intonation and the subtle differences in their uses of the language.

3. The test is NOT to determine whether you can speak English IN Nigeria or anywhere else.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Onlytruth(m): 2:18am On Aug 04, 2010
davidylan:

that's partly the problem with the politics section . . . too many people commenting on an issue they are not conversant with yet insisting on digging themselves into a hole.

What do you mean by "commenting on the issue surrounding the interview"?  undecided Do you mean you are blindly responding to the opinion of those who ACTUALLY did see the video?

Frankly I've never seen anything like this before.

Na real wa for the guy.  sad sad sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Help! SWAT Arrested My Uncle On Sunday / Rauf Aregbesola Drives Himself To Work, Lauded By Osun Indigenes / Osinbajo Formally Takes Over Villa Chapel

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60