Stats: 3,154,388 members, 7,822,801 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:08 PM

Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills (34671 Views)

Channels TV Addresses Dame Patient As President Of Nigeria [photo] / Reuben Abati On Dame Patience In 2010 / Has Anyone Heard A Word From Dame Patience Recently? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Nobody: 2:20am On Aug 04, 2010
Onlytruth:

Frankly I've never seen anything like this before.

Na real wa for the guy.  sad sad sad

You need to spend some more time on this section . . . you'd soon get tired of repeating yourself. Its amazing how many people here argue on these boards about "federalism" or nigerian politics or its Geography and HAVE NEVER been to Nigeria before. The other day some were discussing on the Biafran war . . . most of them werent even born before the war and probably have no idea what Nnewi looks like.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by agabaI23(m): 2:22am On Aug 04, 2010
obiem:

I was watching NTA internatonal yesterday when i saw the first lady addressing journalists on the achievements of the falconets who were beaten finalists in the just concluded FIFA under 19 female world cup. I was shocked when she said amidst glee'' Yes we are all happy for their effort, it is not easy to carry second in an international competition like this one''. This is not the first time she's blundering on national television agreed english is not our language but common, methink she needs english tutorials.  sad sad sad

An example of the issue surrounding the interview is the highlighted. And my argument is based on this. It is not blind my friend. I do not have to see an experiment carried out before I can critique the report. Do I? grin
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by agabaI23(m): 2:23am On Aug 04, 2010
davidylan:

1. The core of the TOEFL exam are the SPOKEN and WRITTEN portions.

2. You are given the test to determine your ability to UNDERSTAND the American intonation and the subtle differences in their uses of the language.

3. The test is NOT to determine whether you can speak English IN Nigeria or anywhere else.
And IELTS?
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Nobody: 2:25am On Aug 04, 2010
agabaI23:

An example of the issue surrounding the interview is the highlighted. And my argument is based on this. It is not blind my friend. I do not have to see an experiment carried out before I can critique the report. Do I? grin

For starters . . . i'm quite positive myself and onlytruth were refering to TURAI YARADUA's speech and NOT that of Dame Patience Jonathan. Turai is a graduate NOT Dame Jonathan.

What again were you arguing about again?
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Nobody: 2:28am On Aug 04, 2010
agabaI23:

And IELTS?

you will notice it has both SPEAKING and LISTENING modules (the most important portions of the test). Indians dont speak English that well . . . but they do take AND PASS these exams . . . its not how fluent you are in the language that counts but a demonstrated ability to understand the way English is spoken and be understood in countries where English is the primary mode of communication.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Onlytruth(m): 2:29am On Aug 04, 2010
davidylan:

You need to spend some more time on this section . . . you'd soon get tired of repeating yourself. [b]Its amazing how many people here argue on these boards about "federalism" or nigerian politics or its Geography and HAVE NEVER been to Nigeria before. [/b]The other day some were discussing on the Biafran war . . . most of them werent even born before the war and probably have no idea what Nnewi looks like.

I've seen my own share here, believe me.

What baffles me most is how someone can comment on a topic/thread without reading what others have posted on it before.

I ALWAYS read what others have said before commenting, and I always understand the topic well before commenting.

If a thread begins, and gets to about 20 pages without me commenting, I may never comment on that thread for good, because I would have to read all 20 pages before commenting, and may not have the time.

Nairaland is full of characters I tell you.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by agabaI23(m): 2:33am On Aug 04, 2010
davidylan:

you will notice it has both SPEAKING and LISTENING modules (the most important portions of the test). Indians dont speak English that well . . . but they do take AND PASS these exams . . . its not how fluent you are in the language that counts but a demonstrated ability to understand the way English is spoken and be understood in countries where English is the primary mode of communication.
Son  grin
You have answered well. So why should Nigerians whose official language is English be subjected to the latter assuming TOEFL is peculiar to America? The international community should have known better?

Abeg make the falconets carry second jare!!!!!!!!!! grin Nothing do the dame
Our official language is broken !
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Nobody: 2:39am On Aug 04, 2010
If you tell them to vote Donald Duke and Wife now dem go say his phonetics too much.

Being a leader in the digital age involves a lot, but we Nigerians choose to remain in the dark.

Enjoy my Duke whom I am ready to follow to the grave no matter what happens.

http://www.donalddukeorganisation.org/gallery/donald-duke-on-issues/

NIGERIA NEEDS A 21ST CENTURY PRESIDENT IN 2011.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Nobody: 2:40am On Aug 04, 2010
agabaI23:

Son  grin
You have answered well. So why should Nigerians whose official language is English be subjected to the latter assuming TOEFL is peculiar to America? The international community should have known better?

Quite absurd. IELTS is particular to Canada, England and other western nations where English is the PRIMARY and ONLY mode of communication. Its one thing to speak English, its another to understand the various accents.

For example . . . even though ebonics is English, i dont understand a word of it . . . and i speak English quite well. I'd expect a nation of ebonic speakers to institute an Ebonics speaking and listening test for anyone considering attending school there. The test would be to demonstrate ability to comprehend the different styles and NOT a test of english-speaking ability.

but i guess i'm done arguing with boneheads who try to camouflage their own ignorance with so many words.

I also notice you were quiet on the fact that you just figured out you were commenting on the WRONG VIDEO. You didnt even listen to either so how would you have known.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Nobody: 2:49am On Aug 04, 2010
I am more concerned about Jonathan Goodluck's inability to make a coherent argument in English Language than Patience Jonathan's bad English.

I am ready to give the woman a free pass. But Jonathan's level of communication is very poor.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Eziachi: 2:50am On Aug 04, 2010
agabaI23:

And by the way, which English are we talking about here? Is it the one a Nigerian will speak and an average foreigner will ask him to repeat himself? Keep deceiving yourselves that you speak English as national language.

Why do you have to sit for TOEFl and IELTS if English is your national language and you are native speakers?

With above sentiment of yours, I now know why you wanted to be spared before. I’ve heard public figures like Soyinka, Achebe, Utomi or Donald Duke spoke and no one has asked them to repeat themselves and they attended the same schools as Turai and Mrs/Mrs Jonathan.
Don’t tie everybody with the same rope with yourself.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by agabaI23(m): 2:51am On Aug 04, 2010
davidylan:

I also notice you were quiet on the fact that you just figured out you were commenting on the WRONG VIDEO. You didnt even listen to either so how would you have known.
Come on do not tell me you did not see this. Was I quiet?
agabaI23:

An example of the issue surrounding the interview is the highlighted. And my argument is based on this. It is not blind my friend. I do not have to see an experiment carried out before I can critique the report. Do I? grin You should visit specsavers my friend.

Just tell me you cannot understand my argument my friend. I will break it down for you in yoruba language grin
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by agabaI23(m): 2:52am On Aug 04, 2010
Eziachi:

With above sentiment of yours, I now know why you wanted to be spared before. [b]I’ve heard public figures like Soyinka, Achebe, Utomi or Donald Duke spoke [/b]and no one has asked them to repeat themselves and they attended the same schools as Turai and Mrs/Mrs Jonathan.
Don’t tie everybody with the same rope with yourself.

Bullet!!!!!!!!
If you live in glass house, do not throw stones please!
You see English is not our language onye ime obodo
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Onlytruth(m): 2:54am On Aug 04, 2010
mikeansy:

I am more concerned about Jonathan Goodluck's inability to make a coherent argument in English Language than Patience Jonathan's bad English.

I am ready to give the woman a free pass. But Jonathan's level of communication is very poor.

Bros I know say you want Duke for president.  grin grin

It's all good though. I feel you. If Jonathan keeps to his promise to level the playing field, Duke may well win.

I'd vote for him.  undecided
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Onlytruth(m): 2:56am On Aug 04, 2010
agabaI23:

Bullet!!!!!!!!
If you live in glass house, do not throw stones please!
You see English is not our language onye ime obodo

Nwokem what are you really up to?

Onye ahia ose.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Nobody: 2:58am On Aug 04, 2010
Onlytruth:

Bros I know say you want Duke for president.  grin grin

It's all good though. I feel you. If Jonathan keeps to his promise to level the playing field, Duke may well win.

I'd vote for him.  undecided

But lets be fair to the ladies. They did not sign up to be first ladies, theyy did not get elected nor did they apply to be first ladies. They only got married to a man so many years ago and their journey in life as a wife brought them to where they are.

I will rather question Jonathan's communication skills because he chose to be Nigerian leader. His wife only got there by default.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by agabaI23(m): 3:02am On Aug 04, 2010
Onlytruth:

Nwokem what are you really up to?

Onye ahia ose.
Haha, haha! eziokwu na-elu ilu grin. I am up to something good. To bring out the truth.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Onlytruth(m): 3:02am On Aug 04, 2010
mikeansy:

But lets be fair to the ladies. They did not sign up to be first ladies, theyy did not get elected nor did they apply to be first ladies. They only got married to a man so many years ago and their journey in life as a wife brought them to where they are.

I will rather question Jonathan's communication skills because he chose to be Nigerian leader. His wife only got there by default.

Yes exactly, they did not sign up to be first ladies and they should NOT be automatically.

There is nothing like "first lady" in the Nigerian constitution. There have been Nigerian presidents without "first ladies". This first lady madness started with Babangida and Ndidi his late wife. I can understand in their case because Ndidi (Mariam) was more than a woman. She was it!

So, every nnekwu okuko don't have to claim that title.
Obasanjo has more than one wife. When Stella died, he wisely decided that Nigeria should not have another first lady.
Like I said before, no be by force!
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by agabaI23(m): 3:03am On Aug 04, 2010
mikeansy:

Suscribing partially grin
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Onlytruth(m): 3:05am On Aug 04, 2010
agabaI23:

Haha, haha! eziokwu na-elu ilu grin. I am up to something good. To bring out the truth.

You should take your own bitter medicine. You are incapable of handling the truth.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by agabaI23(m): 3:08am On Aug 04, 2010
^^^^Good night bro! grin Let me catch some sleep before day break
Will you be on tomorrow?
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Nobody: 3:10am On Aug 04, 2010
Only_truth

U know wel lol

Every nnekwu okuko grin grin grin grin
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Onlytruth(m): 3:10am On Aug 04, 2010
agabaI23:

^^^^Good night bro! grin Let me catch some sleep before day break
Will you be on tomorrow?

If I see an interesting topic and have some time to spare, yes of course. Anytime. G'night.  cool
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Onlytruth(m): 3:11am On Aug 04, 2010
mikeansy:

Only_truth

U know wel lol

Every nnekwu okuko grin grin grin grin

Yes bros, that's how I see these things. grin grin
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Nobody: 3:14am On Aug 04, 2010
Onlytruth:

Yes bros, that's how I see these things. grin grin

They should stop trying to be like IBB. They can't.

IBB had style, IBB was brilliant and would have made a legendary leader if only he had courage.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Onlytruth(m): 3:16am On Aug 04, 2010
mikeansy:

They should stop trying to be like IBB. They can't.

IBB had style, IBB was brilliant and would have made a legendary leader[b] if only he had courage.[/b]

Believe me, I'm only beginning to come to terms with the fact that IBB may be a coward afterall.

Sometimes I think that Obasanjo is more courageous than him.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Nobody: 3:26am On Aug 04, 2010
Onlytruth:

Believe me, I only beginning to come to terms with the fact that IBB may be a coward afterall.

Somehow I think that Obasanjo is more courageous than him.

Thats his biggest problem. he is a coward.

Folks like to talk about IBB's corruption but for me thats not the issue because most Nigerian Politicians are corrupt.

My Problem with IBB is that he knew what was right for Nigeria and failed to deliver on them. He did the exact opposite of most of what he promised and even as Military head of state running Nigeria on Decrees if he could not get anything done can he now achieve anything in a democracy?

The man's greatest problem is cowardice.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Onlytruth(m): 3:34am On Aug 04, 2010
mikeansy:

Thats his biggest problem. he is a coward.

Folks like to talk about IBB's corruption but for me thats not the issue because most Nigerian Politicians are corrupt.

My Problem with IBB is that he knew what was right for Nigeria and failed to deliver on them. He did the exact opposite of most of what he promised and even as Military head of state running Nigeria on Decrees if he could not get anything done can he now achieve anything in a democracy?

The man's greatest problem is cowardice.

You know, now that you said that, I recall that when Babangida was president in the late 80s, anytime he visited Lagos, there would be this long "no drive zone" along the entire Ikorodu road down to Western avenue. No vehicle moved until all the vehicles on his convoy passed. Military men would be manning the entire route.
And all those happen BEFORE Okar's coup.
I often wondered whether that was not tantamount to killing a fly with a sledge hammer.  undecided

Do they still do that today? There are too many things subsequent Nigerian presidents copied from IBB. Just wondering.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by hercules07: 9:03am On Aug 04, 2010
@David,

Small correction French is also spoken in Canada, please continue to lecture the agaba guy on why a public figure should be able to articulate herself properly. My mum did not attend Secondary school but her spoken English is probably better than mine.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by mazaje(m): 10:09am On Aug 04, 2010
The president's wife can be excused, since it seems she is not well educated, I feel so disappointed when ever I hear the president speak . . . Who the hell are his handlers? The guy needs to have people around him that will coach him  on how to speak and properly articulate his points as a public figure. . . . . .The guy is simply a disgrace when it comes to speaking as a president who is said to have a Phd. . .  . . .
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by ubamu2029: 10:34am On Aug 04, 2010
But why did Turai announce she would "take" their "numbers"? Nigerians and mobile phone kiss
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Nobody: 10:45am On Aug 04, 2010
wait a minute - who are we talking about here ? turai or patience?

for those making excuses for johnathan's bad english - are you implying that his facebook posts are ghost written?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Atiku Vs Buhari, Who Is Likely To Win South West? / Recession: 3 Nigerian National Assets Buhari Must Not Sell- RMAFC / Obituary: Peter Obi's Aide, Valentine Obienyem Replies Omatseye

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68