Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,503 members, 7,830,513 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

Onnoghen: Political Solution Collapses As Suspended CJN Insists On Full Trial - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Onnoghen: Political Solution Collapses As Suspended CJN Insists On Full Trial (52808 Views)

Breaking: CCT Adjourns Trial Of Suspended CJN, Onnoghen Indefinitely / Atiku Reacts To CJN Onnoghen's Petition in CCB / Embattled Justice Onnoghen To Be Replaced By Justice Tanko Ibrahim Mohammed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Onnoghen: Political Solution Collapses As Suspended CJN Insists On Full Trial by yns4real: 12:38pm On Feb 03, 2019
The firm resolve of the suspended Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Walter Onnoghen, to see his judicial ordeal through has led to the collapse of the political solution worked out by certain interests in the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari and the judiciary, to save him the embarrassment of being arraigned tomorrow at the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT), Sunday Tribune has reliably learnt.

The political deal offered him by Presidency elements required him to resign voluntarily to have the criminal charge of alleged non-declaration of assets preferred against him completely withdrawn.

If he didn’t feel like walking away by himself, there was also a proposal to have him prematurely retired with full benefits, including the retention of his membership of the Council of State.

The deal proposed by some elements in the Federal Government was packaged by a security agency and offered to him last week.

Again, on Friday, the same deal was offered him after the Presidency made it clear to certain go-between persons that he had violated the agreement entered into with him, on the need to cleanse the judiciary, before he was appointed in substantive capacity.

He flatly rejected the deal on all the occasions it was presented to him.

According to a very close source to him, “Oga (Onnoghen) is not going to resign. Take that from me. He has resolved to clear his name by seeing this trial through to the end. Yes, they asked him to resign, but if they are very sure he had committed any offence, why asking him to resign when they were the one that took him to court in the first place? With all they have done, and all the lies told the world against him, they expect him not to defend himself and just resign and walk away? No, he is not resigning.”

When asked why he isn’t defending himself in the face of the damaging allegations against him, the source said the suspended CJN had decided against getting into public domain with his accusers, but waiting for the court proceedings to begin fully, for him to say all that is to be said in his defence.

The offer from the prosecuting government is reportedly polarizing the CJN’s legal team, as some senior lawyers on the defence team are reportedly considering the terms of the deal and without being direct, are subtly encouraging Onnoghen to consider certain parts of it.

As of Friday, the government peace offer still dominated discourse within the defence team. For senior lawyers asking Onnoghen to have a second look, the wider implications of outright rejection are said to be their main consideration.

Their most-profound fear is said to be the high possibility of the tribunal, under Danladi Umar, to give a bench warrant when the trial resumes tomorrow, ordering the arrest of the CJN for appearance before it (the tribunal).

Umar is also believed to have made up his mind to convict the suspended jurist, a development that would ultimately rob him of his status as a member of the Council of State.
With the way government agencies have handled his case so far, those egging him to consider the deal fear that he might be completely humiliated tomorrow by the police, if a bench warrant is eventually issued by Umar.

“Who will stop the police from arresting him, if they could lock his office up? Imagine how bad it will look if he is arrested and brought to the tribunal. We are talking about the Chief Justice of Nigeria. His case is very painful, but the situation doesn’t look good at all and this is beyond his name and integrity now,” a pro-deal source in his camp told Sunday Tribune at the weekend.

The same source was also knowledgable of the meeting with top presidency officials where the deal was unveiled.

He told Sunday Tribune that support was gradually ebbing for Onnoghen because many political structures that should support him in the fight to regain his seat and credibility are gradually backing off in order to be “politically-correct.”

With his resolve to see the case against him to a logical conclusion, Onnoghen, according to checks with his camp, will be challenging the jurisdiction of the tribunal to try him when the case resumes tomorrow.

He will not be making an appearance still, making the planned arraignment almost impossible.

The propriety of Umar, leading a tribunal to try him, will also come up, as the defence, according to a source, will be asking him to recuse himself, having allegedly shown bias against the CJN.

The alleged corruption case against Umar, for which the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) is seeking his prosecution, may come in handy in pushing the recusal case.

The controversial order which the tribunal granted in-chamber will also be debated at the Court of Appeal tomorrow.

Onnoghen is challenging the order which Lagos lawyer, Femi Falana, described as suspicious and full of contradictions.

If Umar assumed jurisdiction tomorrow, he may insist of the arraignment of the CJN since the Court of Appeal had ruled last week that trial proceedings could not be halted because of the pendency of appeal.

https://www.tribuneonlineng.com/188192/

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Onnoghen: Political Solution Collapses As Suspended CJN Insists On Full Trial by Racoon(m): 12:51pm On Feb 03, 2019
Let the alleged corruption exposure continues.If the CJN is guilty, then let the law takes its course but if otherwise, then he have proved a point.

Abba Kyari, Lawal Babachir, Danladi Umar(CCT chair), VP Osinbajo(#5B NEMA scandal), AGF-Abubakar Malami, Oshiomole, Amaechi and other well known criminals of the APC regime all have corruption cases hanging on their necks yet none of them have resigned let alone faced trial to be convicted.

Now CCB have flatly refused to release Buhari, Amaechi, Fashola, Abba Kyari assets declaration forms but gleefully released CJN's own even without authorization.

So who is fooling who in Nigeria today? Bunch of fucktards. angry Let him that comes to equity comes with clean hand.Clear conscience fears no accusation.

241 Likes 27 Shares

Re: Onnoghen: Political Solution Collapses As Suspended CJN Insists On Full Trial by Daviddson(m): 12:55pm On Feb 03, 2019
Really? This man should save himself the trouble and peacefully resign. I know it's not easy to give up ₦1bn, but take heart.
Tonymario58:

I pity your �
IGNORED
franciskaine:
the 1 billion is still his. The resignation is just to kill the hoopla around the case.
The monies have been put under temporary seizures.

35 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Onnoghen: Political Solution Collapses As Suspended CJN Insists On Full Trial by princemillla(m): 12:55pm On Feb 03, 2019
Eyah I feel for him tho resigning wil be honorable but fighting to save name(money and Properties) may damage his future opportunities.

I wish him the best

Goodluck!!

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Onnoghen: Political Solution Collapses As Suspended CJN Insists On Full Trial by nymphomaniac(m): 12:56pm On Feb 03, 2019
Let all sides be heard. Why ask the CJN to resign and take a plea deal when they are the ones so sure he didn't disclose all his assets voluntarily.

Nkanu Ononghen has fighting spirit. Something ambode could not muster.

All lawyers including myself stand with onnoghen, the rule of law and due process.

147 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Onnoghen: Political Solution Collapses As Suspended CJN Insists On Full Trial by shevchenko(m): 12:56pm On Feb 03, 2019
Fake news

Today is Sunday
How did they meet ?

10 Likes

Re: Onnoghen: Political Solution Collapses As Suspended CJN Insists On Full Trial by eyeview: 12:56pm On Feb 03, 2019
I understand they have been begging the guy to peacefully resign so that all charges will be dropped, his assets released and the trial discontinued but the man has refused. He wants the case to go thru the legal process.

96 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Onnoghen: Political Solution Collapses As Suspended CJN Insists On Full Trial by ignant: 12:57pm On Feb 03, 2019
The FG is trying to use the technique of gaslighting to beat Onnoghen into acceptance.

The FG had ordered the disinformation against Onnoghen on the pages of the internet and social media, so as to convince YOU to convict Onnoghen in YOUR minds.

They claimed Onnoghen had sent his lawyers including Wole Olanipekun to meet Abba Kyari to seek a landing spot for him but Wole has denied that, claiming he has never met Kyari. https://punchng.com/onnoghen-i-wasnt-part-of-abba-kyari-meeting-olanipekun/

The foundation of the government's case is based on defective evidence because it acts on claims illegally gotten and there is also the possibility of a blowback, so they are trying to harass him into a plea bargain, which he has obviously rejected for a trial.

They want the CJN to plead guilty without him having his day in court. Ask yourself; Why? Then maybe, just maybe, you will begin to recognize the footsteps of their criminal conspiracy.

162 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Onnoghen: Political Solution Collapses As Suspended CJN Insists On Full Trial by Omololu001: 12:57pm On Feb 03, 2019
G
Re: Onnoghen: Political Solution Collapses As Suspended CJN Insists On Full Trial by SEONaijaExpert: 12:58pm On Feb 03, 2019
As against what many people think, the Presidency respect the position of this man as a once Chief Justice of Nigeria and it's in the interest of the federal government to uphold the rule of law.

The deal being made is to have Onnoghen retire honorably and not shamefully. Hope he's smart not to fight this because he'd lose and retire shamefully.

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Onnoghen: Political Solution Collapses As Suspended CJN Insists On Full Trial by Omololu001: 12:58pm On Feb 03, 2019
eyeview:
Iheard they have been begging the guy to peacefully resign so that all charges will be dropped and the trial discontinued but the man has refused.
where did you hear it from? grin

12 Likes

Re: Onnoghen: Political Solution Collapses As Suspended CJN Insists On Full Trial by Nobody: 12:58pm On Feb 03, 2019
Valencia really troubled Barcelona last night... Good one from them..

5 Likes

Re: Onnoghen: Political Solution Collapses As Suspended CJN Insists On Full Trial by ipobarethieves: 12:59pm On Feb 03, 2019
wink sad nice one baba onga! Until the pigs pursue U to ur destruction.

7 Likes

Re: Onnoghen: Political Solution Collapses As Suspended CJN Insists On Full Trial by Bobby4090: 12:59pm On Feb 03, 2019
If it's me I won't agree too. How can I just give up billions without a fight. No way. Wil get some good SAN and we will slug it out in court. After all, indefinite postponements are parts of our legal system.
May take 10 or 20 yrs to find one guilty. If at all they will. And besides, if Atiku happens to win election somehow, the case will be thrown out.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onnoghen: Political Solution Collapses As Suspended CJN Insists On Full Trial by dafemnet: 12:59pm On Feb 03, 2019
Let's see what happens
Re: Onnoghen: Political Solution Collapses As Suspended CJN Insists On Full Trial by fasmukol: 12:59pm On Feb 03, 2019
It's like this man is thinking looters Messiah (a.k.a Atiku) will win come February 16 so that he may become hero of democracy (as PDP used to call all their hardened criminals once they have issue with Baba)

Let's wait and see.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onnoghen: Political Solution Collapses As Suspended CJN Insists On Full Trial by StFrankeinstein(m): 12:59pm On Feb 03, 2019
Fairness & equity is all we need.

5 Likes

Re: Onnoghen: Political Solution Collapses As Suspended CJN Insists On Full Trial by bastardmod: 12:59pm On Feb 03, 2019
I wouldn't have expected anything less.
The slowpoke quota system Attorney General has never won any case, he wants to shine with onnoghen. Useless islamofascist bastards.
Onnoghen must not resign.
Buhari must follow due process. Useless lifeless idiot.

6 Likes

Re: Onnoghen: Political Solution Collapses As Suspended CJN Insists On Full Trial by dokyOloye: 12:59pm On Feb 03, 2019
If the islamist govt of buhari has a watertight case against this man,why back out of an open trial after dragging his name in the mud?
Don't be surprised that by the time the man arraigned,you will find out that all the figures the Islamist govt of buhari has been releasing to our compromised press are all lies but unfortunately, d CJN is barred from talking to the press.

43 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Onnoghen: Political Solution Collapses As Suspended CJN Insists On Full Trial by peacettw: 12:59pm On Feb 03, 2019
Hmmm. I am so glad that he decided to defend his good name in court. I must say that I am quite surprised and impressed. Most people will chicken out. I do have this nagging feeling though that he has put the final nail on his coffin. Whatever happens from now onwards, the judiciary will never be the same again as many will be careful to adhere strictly to the code of conduct. Onnoghen may just be the hero/matyr that we need in this desperate time. Well done.

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Onnoghen: Political Solution Collapses As Suspended CJN Insists On Full Trial by virginboy1(m): 12:59pm On Feb 03, 2019
Nigerian and itz Kangaroo kindof politics...mtewwww...

On the contrary, This Sunday at the men's fellowship meeting at our church I lost the quiz by one point. ..The question was " where do most women have thick hair"?........
apparently the answer is Africa. ....from the answer I gave they asked me to find another church..... cry cry cry

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onnoghen: Political Solution Collapses As Suspended CJN Insists On Full Trial by Asshurbanipal: 1:00pm On Feb 03, 2019
He is not an afonja coward. He will not succumb to cheap blackmail

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onnoghen: Political Solution Collapses As Suspended CJN Insists On Full Trial by Saao(m): 1:00pm On Feb 03, 2019
I like that, from all I have seen so far that man is innocent. Let him go ahead and defend himself. Those mallam and alh thinks they owned Nigeria, that's what they have been doing to us Christians in the north.

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Onnoghen: Political Solution Collapses As Suspended CJN Insists On Full Trial by PaChukwudi44(m): 1:00pm On Feb 03, 2019
grin grin I so much love Onnoggen!!! Fight to the end.Never succumb to zombies.

Its battle to the finish.On Tuesday he will most likely return as CJN

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Onnoghen: Political Solution Collapses As Suspended CJN Insists On Full Trial by stanliwise(m): 1:01pm On Feb 03, 2019
chubychuby33:
January has been great and February will definitely be awesome. It's my seventh payout now and still counting am so happy.

Apex is changing lives already. Get double ROI in just a week or even less.

This is the best investment platform so far in Nigeria. Check below

enjoy yourself personally. Don't tell us

10 Likes

Re: Onnoghen: Political Solution Collapses As Suspended CJN Insists On Full Trial by chuka5000(m): 1:01pm On Feb 03, 2019
table shaking don start

1 Like

Re: Onnoghen: Political Solution Collapses As Suspended CJN Insists On Full Trial by mu2sa2: 1:01pm On Feb 03, 2019
Let Onnoghen save himself by himself for himself. Too much " bragado" will lead him no-where.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onnoghen: Political Solution Collapses As Suspended CJN Insists On Full Trial by mozel247: 1:01pm On Feb 03, 2019
I love the way this is playing out. Wish the election is still far away. Perhaps the role of government and media trial would had been revealed

2 Likes

Re: Onnoghen: Political Solution Collapses As Suspended CJN Insists On Full Trial by Dannyset(m): 1:02pm On Feb 03, 2019
We continue then.
I have never been in support of political out of court settling. If he's guilty according to the law let him face the music same way an ordinary man on the street does.

4 Likes

Re: Onnoghen: Political Solution Collapses As Suspended CJN Insists On Full Trial by jojo1415: 1:02pm On Feb 03, 2019
yns4real:

https://www.tribuneonlineng.com/188192/
dictatorship government.Like for Atiku,share for buhari

26 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Buhari In Love With Fashola / Lola Oguntade: How I Gave Up Everything To Campaign For Buhari / Armed Thugs In ‘Government Vehicles’ Attack #EndSARS Protesters In Abuja - Punch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.