Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,532 members, 7,770,377 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 10:05 AM

Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City (1573442 Views)

East African Federation (EAC) / Cape Town, Most Beautiful African City Pics / African City Skyline Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (204) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Ndipe(m): 7:56am On Sep 05, 2007
Very creative of Kenyans to incorporate some aspects of their culture into the western culture.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 3:03pm On Sep 07, 2007
MORE OF KENYA

1 Like

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by 9ja4eva: 6:19am On Sep 10, 2007
A nice place

Huh i love Africa the more
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by SinginChic: 5:54pm On Sep 10, 2007
"Very creative of Kenyans to incorporate some aspects of their culture into the western culture."

I think it should have been the other way around, perhaps. Kenyan culture should be the main culture in Kenya, surely, ? Unfortunately, Westerners 'make their mark' on everybody else's soil, making the host culture seem inferior, but the fact is that the West has learnt EVERYTHING from other cultures, so I don't really understand why the Western 'culture' is deemed  'superior'.  undecided
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Ndipe(m): 11:32pm On Sep 10, 2007
@singinchic, why should it be the other way round? you are already condemning western culture for trying to displace the indigenous culture, and on the other hand, suggesting/implying (?) that kenyans should incorporate the western culture into their native culture? Please be clear.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Ropie(m): 8:01am On Sep 11, 2007
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Ropie(m): 10:09am On Sep 11, 2007
Kenya's Lakeside City of Kisumu

Recreation Park in Kisumu City

Some of Kisumu City Skyscrapers

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Ropie(m): 10:25am On Sep 11, 2007
More of Kisumu City

In a Kisumu Museum

Shopping Malls

Shores of L. Victoria

Downtown Kisumu City

[img]http://www.ikbenopreis.nl/simone/foto/DSCF1231.JPG[/img]

Some of the Buses of one of the Bus companies plying Nairobi-Kisumu route

If u want to hike in Kisumu City

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Ropie(m): 1:19pm On Sep 12, 2007
Mombasa City, Kenya.

Mombasa Skyline

More of Mombasa

Overlooking the Ocean

Mombasa Landmark

A Ferry

A public service vehicle, we call them matatus

One of the Luxurious Beach Hotels

A Temple

Other attractions

And more to come

1 Like

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Christino(m): 2:17am On Sep 14, 2007
Thanks Ropie, more pls,
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Ropie(m): 8:25am On Sep 14, 2007
During World Cross Country Championship in Mombasa

Green Mombasa

The Skyline

The Architecture

Historic Site: Fort Jesus in Mombasa

Nairobi Skyline from the Westland District on Nairobi

Nairobi Skyline from the Southside District

About 10 billion dollars has been set aside by the government to build state of the art road network in Nairobi. A 20 KM overpass highway will be build from Mombasa road on the eastern to Waiyaki Way on the Westland side of Nairobi. The overpass will parallel but above Uhuru Highway and Chiromo Rd. Also among the projects are superhighways connecting Southern, Eastern, Northern and Western parts of Nairobi. This will ease traffic jams in the city which currently comes to a halt during rush hrs.

Furthermore, don't be surprised! "Nairobi will become the first African city to host olympics" as promised by the presidential hopeful Raila Odinga during a dinner in Denver, USA, If only he is elected president during this year's general election in Kenya.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by bluesky4(f): 12:20pm On Sep 16, 2007
loving the pictures, some of the pics looks like lagos shocked
Kenya looks like a beautiful country, keep it up grin grin
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 12:25pm On Sep 16, 2007
Reef hotel Mombasa

Thika Falls in Thika Town

southern palms beach resort, mombasa

Kengeles nairobi, a local food chain

White water rafting, tana river

The magnificent Mt Kenya

Heels gate national park

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Ropie(m): 2:22pm On Sep 17, 2007

Back From Nairobi

A commentary by Valentine Obienyem, the Special Assistant to the Governor of Anambra State (in Nigeria).

ONE of the most profound pronouncements from a Nigerian Minister was the remarks by the Federal Minister of Education, Dr. Oby Ezekwesili. The Honourable Minister said that the Government would review the criteria for the award of honorary doctorate degrees by universities. The bastardisation of awards in Nigeria, which has also crept into the Ivory Towers, is worrisome to well meaning Nigerians.

Ideally, not everybody has the opportunity of pursuing education up to doctorate level, when you are certified as a true expert in your chosen field. However, some people with the requisite experience, even more experienced than academic doctors are conferred with honorary doctorates. We cannot quarrel if any University confers honorary doctorate on person like Chief Austin Ilodibe in transportation, because he is truly experienced even more than the books on transportation. What we quarrel with is placing cash values on the awards, thus honouring even little minds that stumbled into money and use it to buy their way without any form of experience. The key word is experience
Oracle Content & Collaboration

Talking about experience, the wise one says that education comes one fourth from schools, one fourth from experience, one fourth from the teacher and one fourth from travel. We gain much from these sources if we are positively disposed or confront them with open minds. A good example is the refrain of Nigeria being the giant of Africa. The notion of being a giant has made most Nigerians suffer delusions of grandeur, to believe that Nigeria is the first in terms of everything as far as African is concerned. You need the experience of travel to know whether this is true or false.

At the risk of sounding immodest, I have travelled widely within the sub-saharan Africa: Benin Republic, Togo, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Guinea (Conakry), and Senegal. Abidjan and Accra are good cities in their own rights. But talking about places like Liberia, Freetown, Conakry, you talk about some primitive, uninspiring towns, where women still go about the towns in the happy ignorance of their unclothedness.

Recently, I had the opportunity of travelling to Kenya, Nairobi, with my Governor and boss, His Excellency, Mr. Peter Obi. Before Mr. Peter Obi became the Governor, he was the Chairman of Fidelity Bank and a Director in many other banks and companies. As a banker and a successful international business man, he moved around the world, from temperate to tropical zone from East to West and North to South attending one course or the other, one conference or seminar or the other.

However, since he became the Governor, he has not been travelling except strictly on official tours. He kept postponing the day he would visit his family in the UK, until the children became tired and had to come to Awka to see him. You may call this the demonstration of the fact that if the mountain cannot go to Muhammed, Muhammed will go to the mountain.

Recently, the Governor had a reason to travel to Kenya. Passionate about having Master plans for Awka, Onitsha and Nnewi, he had to travel to Nairobi to meet with the United Nation HABITAT and Shelter Afrique. Seeing the passion and the eagerness with which the Governor pursed this, the Organisation, as well as Shelter Afrique, promised to help him. Commending him, the under Secretary and Chief Executive of UN HABITAT, Dr. Anna Kajumulo Tibaijuka said that the Governor was a good example on true governace.

Typical of him, to save cost for the State, he travels, locally and internationally with a few people. Beyond saving cost, he always says that those in power find it difficult to relinquish power because they surround themselves with many aides that the prospect of surrendering power becomes frightful to them. Obi reminds me of Chief Chukwuemeka Chikelu, who, as Minister, would go to the counter at the Airport and do things for himself. Once I asked him why, and he said: "I do not want to live a borrowed life even as a Minister, so that any day if I cease being one, it will be easy to continue my normal life. In the case of Governor Obi, he usually tells us that being a Governor will not make him not to live his normal life.

Accept my apologies if I have digressed a bit. On the trip to Nairobi were the Governor and I. We flew Kenyan Airways, which is inscribed "The pride of Africa."

This at once aroused a sense of regret in me as a Nigerian. Is it not the place of former Nigeria's Airways that Kenyan Airways has taken? If not for mismanagement, what would have been of Nigerian Airways? At the time our Airways was functioning, was it not far bigger than Kenyan Airways in many respects? These are necessary questions.

At Nairobi, I saw what was beyond my imagination. Let me go straight to the verdict: Nairobi is far better than any Nigerian city you can possibly think of, including Abuja. Once at the Airport, you are bound to admire the order pervading the entire place. Though not as busy as Muritala Muhammed International Airport, it is better organized. In fact, some people told me, unverified, that the airport was built at the cost of Twenty-Five Million Naira (equivalent); while our own was at the cost of over Two Hundred Million Naira. But the two are big as to relatively cost the same.

Driving from the Airport to the town was a pleasant one. I took time looking at the street lights, and behold not even one bulb was not lit. Straight, we drove to Nairobi Serena Hotel. In fact, when we got there, because it was night, I could not really compare Nairobi and Abuja in terms of aesthetics. But when it was down, I saw Nairobi in its unclothedness.

Being an old city, Nairobi roads are not so wide. However, unlike our own disordered cities, Nairobi is clothed with flowers and the buildings are superior to most that we find in Nigeria. The transport companies, especially the ubiquitious Citi Hopper are far better that intra-city buses in Nigeria. Foreigners enter it with ease, no standing, no careless driving.

Working with Governor Obi is business not pleasure, he makes sure you add enough value to the trip to justify your travelling with him. Though as we were about to land at the airport, some places of interest such as Giraffe Park, Animal Orphanage, Nairobi National Musseum,etc were announced, but we did not go to Nairobi for a picnic, not with my Governor, but for business. On our return, as we touch down Nigerian soil, Kenyan Airways did not announce any place of interest in Nigeria. This is instructive.
Oracle Content & Collaboration

However, in the spirit of adventure, I still managed to look out. Close to the beautiful Serena hotel is the Uhuru Park, a spacious park for recreation. If it were in Nigeria, corner shops would have taken its place. But in Nairobi, it is well maintained, and I understand such parks are all over the place. As you move along Nairobi streets you see public conveniences, neat and properly maintained. It will certainly be a source of revenue. In fact, it made me remember a king who built urinals around his kingdom, his son protested on why trying to make money from such a dirty place. When the money came, he took some close to his nose and asked: "Do they smell of urine?"

Nairobi is amazingly clean, especially when juxtaposed with Abuja. Without Okada plying the streets, you will not even see a single sheet of paper or pure water nylons on the ground. No wonder the city attracts foreigners. At Serena hotel, 98% of the guests are foreigners. You are therefore left to imagine how much the country makes on tourism. One Nigerian there said that what oil was to Nigeria was what tourism was to Kenya.

I had the opportunity of visiting University of Nairobi. Right inside the city, it is a reflection of the entire city: neat, organized and exuding scholarship. In my venturesome way, I interacted with some of the students and was not disappointed.

Nairobi has good hospitals, good schools and good weather. Though Nigerians seem well-to-do, but Nairobi is more of a human society than our disordered country controlled by bedlam.

Two days in Nairobi was a pleasant experience. As we touch down at Murtala Mohammed Airport, I was nostalgic about Kenya. A city where I did not witness police taking bribes openly, dry taps, power interruption. A city where right-hand driving is still in vogue. At our airport, we had to wait for some minutes for the generator to be put on, because the conveyor belt stopped when NEPA interrupted power. Regrettably, this was a reminding welcome to Nigeria, the land where,
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mushki: 5:53am On Sep 19, 2007
does anybody know why this thread has so much traffic?
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by knyboy: 3:56pm On Sep 19, 2007
hey ROPIE,

thx a bunch for the regular photo updates, keep up the good job.

I was wondering if you have any phtos of the westgate mall anchored by Nakumatt ?

thx
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Ropie(m): 10:50am On Sep 20, 2007
@knyboy:
I don ve, but when i ve 2 rush there 2 take one photo, its Kenya's First 24/7. supermarket!

More of this Nairobi City:

View of Capitol Hill

Traffic snarl-up on Uhuru Highway

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by theffanyi(m): 10:55am On Sep 20, 2007
angryWHAT IS WRONG WITH ALL OF U

NIROBI is known to be very good in chasing KANGAROOOOOOOOO grin grin

SO I DONT KNOW WATS UR PROBLEM tongue tongue
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by knyboy: 4:50pm On Sep 20, 2007
ROPIE

Wow nice view from capitol hill. Nairobi is trully becoming green again.

It seems it's really improved coz when I was there (6 yrs ago) it was dirty, dusty and a foul place.

It seems the new administration has done alot to revive it which is good.

ALSO, I've been reading in bits and pieces about a massive redevelopment around KICC Into some Mega complex.

Do you Know anything about it and what's the progress ?
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Ropie(m): 2:32pm On Sep 21, 2007
They want to put a seven star hotel, more conference rooms and a mega shopping complex, all these are currently under architectural designs. I think its going to b another city within a city after the sarit centre.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Ropie(m): 1:39pm On Sep 25, 2007
Heading to Nairobi

A Zebra crossing!

City centre on a good day free of traffic jams

Pimped ride, matatus (public service vehicles) popular with the youth, they ve bn branded mobile disco.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by rhombus: 9:46am On Sep 26, 2007
Ropie, thanks for those nice pictures,

I'm particularlly waiting to see the new Nakumatt Westgate store, which I understanding is one of the biggest in Nairobi.

Thanks Ropie
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by kool83: 2:21pm On Sep 28, 2007
I have had the privilege to live in both Nairobi and Lagos. Im a Zambian and I noticed how everyone in Lagos complains about everything (or maybe it was because I stayed in Ikeja). I've lived in Nairobi for the last five years and what has really impressed me most is the optimism that Kenyans have for their country and city. Kenyans seem to have that ''can do it'' attitude that seems to be short supply in most African countries I've visited. All I can say is that this attitude is taking kenyan's places. I wish Africans can just see the opportunity of climbing to become world players and the only way to do this is to stop complaining and start getting things done efficiently, something Kenyans are begining to realize now, they should keep up the spirit. wink
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Ropie(m): 3:42pm On Sep 28, 2007
The Nairobi City Council is not sleeping, it is doing great things for the Nairobi residents, now they will install water dispensers in the streets of the City before December this year, Nairobians will enjoy free clean and save cold drinking water, Kudos the city God Fathers!
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by oliky(m): 8:41pm On Sep 28, 2007
Great job.Great job.You did an excellent job with those pictures i must confess.You made nairobi too beautiful.

Want to learn more on photography,then give this site a shot:
www.photoonlinefind.com
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 2:04pm On Sep 29, 2007
Sierra brasserie, Mombasa Rd Nairobi

Mombasa resorts, Diani Sands And the Palms

Go cart Centre Mombasa City

Tembo Disco Mombasa

Mt kenya Game ranch

Mt Kenya Safari Club

Mombasa

[img][/img]
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by dafman(m): 12:31am On Sep 30, 2007
I doff my hats to the Kenyans! these pics are just spectacular, I can't believe the pics are of an African city.

1 Like

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Nobody: 3:20am On Oct 01, 2007
one thing to note however is the preponderance of white people in most of these pictures of "Kenya". Can someone remind me if Kenya is still an African nation?

Nice pictures though, put my country to shame! and we claim to have oil.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by labiyemmy(m): 3:29am On Oct 01, 2007
big deal - Nigeria has better places - start from Abuja
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by omoge25(f): 5:08am On Oct 01, 2007
@labiyemmy:

big deal - Nigeria has better places - start from Abuja

True naija has some fine places sha but we have to sometimes give it up to others that are doing big things also, these kenyans are really trying the places look great. lets give praise when its due
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by maasai1(m): 6:32am On Oct 01, 2007
@ davidylan. Kenya is 90 someting percent black, then you have some indians and arab peole mostly at the coast. White kenyans are not that many, mainly of british origin and you will not find them walking around the cbd, they keep to the suburbs. The white people you see on the pictures are definately tourists. Kenya recieves over 2 million tourists anually.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by labiyemmy(m): 2:19pm On Oct 01, 2007
try give it up to your country as well @Omoge

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (204) (Reply)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.