|Join Nairaland / Login / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 1,641,624 members, 3,046,593 topics. Date: Friday, 26 August 2016 at 02:26 AM
|Mend Strikes As Threatened, 7 Confirmed Dead by jodeci(m): 12:09pm On Oct 01, 2010|
ABUJA, Nigeria (AP) -- Two car bombs detonated in Nigeria's capital Friday and a third explosion hit a venue where the president was celebrating the nation's 50th independence anniversary, leaving at least seven dead following a threat from the country's main militant group.http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AF_NIGERIA_EXPLOSION?SITE=JRC&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
true to their threat MEND detonated bombs planted at eagle square killing 3 as naija celebrates.
|Re: Mend Strikes As Threatened, 7 Confirmed Dead by wesley80(m): 12:17pm On Oct 01, 2010|
Oh Oh! its all over the news. But none is confirming the scene or casualties. God save Nigeria.
|Re: Mend Strikes As Threatened, 7 Confirmed Dead by wesley80(m): 12:23pm On Oct 01, 2010|
Here's a little more detail
The Associated Press (AP): Two car bombs detonate outside of Nigeria's federal court, leaving at least three wounded.
So its not Eagles square and no deaths - yet. thank God 4 little mercies
|Re: Mend Strikes As Threatened, 7 Confirmed Dead by boladez(m): 12:29pm On Oct 01, 2010|
, on Channels TV Lagos news bar , Casualty figure is 7 including a senior police officer, 3 cars involved
|Re: Mend Strikes As Threatened, 7 Confirmed Dead by phantom(m): 12:31pm On Oct 01, 2010|
trust ait to carry on with business as usual.
|Re: Mend Strikes As Threatened, 7 Confirmed Dead by phantom(m): 12:35pm On Oct 01, 2010|
its already on cnn.thank god on deaths
|Re: Mend Strikes As Threatened, 7 Confirmed Dead by wesley80(m): 12:46pm On Oct 01, 2010|
ABUJA, Nigeria (AP) -- Two car bombs detonated in Nigeria's capital Friday and a third explosion hit a venue where the president was celebrating the nation's 50th independence anniversary, leaving at least seven dead following a threat from the country's main militant group.
The explosions came after militants warned there was "nothing worth celebrating after 50 years of failure" in Africa's most populous nation, which is oil-rich but where most live on less than $1 a day.
Friday's attacks would be among the militants' boldest yet, striking in Nigeria's capital during an event with heavy security held hundreds of miles (kilometers) from the Niger Delta region where they are based.
A car bomb detonated just as a military formation began to march at Eagle Square, where President Goodluck Jonathan was on hand for the celebration.
Five minutes later, a second car bomb detonated, killing at least seven people, a police officer told an Associated Press reporter at the scene. At least one of the dead was a policeman, the officer said. The officer spoke on the condition of anonymity, as he was not authorized to speak to reporters.
Inside Eagle Square, an AP reporter saw a small explosive detonate before members of the military gathered there. A security agent was seen lying on the ground near that blast.
T[b]he 50th independence anniversary ceremony continued without interruption, though attendees clearly recognized something had gone wrong.[/b]
The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta, the main militant group in Nigeria's oil-rich southern delta, had issued a threat to journalists Friday morning.
"For 50 years, the people of the Niger Delta have had their land and resources stolen from them," the statement read. "The constitution before independence which offered resource control was mutilated by illegal military governments and this injustice is yet to be addressed."
Upset by the spills and the region's unceasing poverty, militants in the delta have targeted pipelines, kidnapped petroleum company workers and fought government troops since 2006. That violence drastically subsided after a government-sponsored amnesty deal last year, which provided cash payoffs for fighters and the promise of job training. However, many ex-fighters now complain that the government has failed to fulfill its promises.
The militants have used car bombs before. In March, they detonated two car bombs near a government building in the Niger Delta where officials were discussing the amnesty deal, wounding two people in an attack heard live on television.
In April 2006, MEND claimed responsibility for attacks on an army barracks and an oil refinery during which two people were killed. It also detonated a car bomb outside a state governor's office in December 2006.
Nigeria, a member of OPEC, is one of the top crude oil suppliers to the U.S.
|Re: Mend Strikes As Threatened, 7 Confirmed Dead by phantom(m): 12:48pm On Oct 01, 2010|
na wa o!so some people died afterall?
|Re: Mend Strikes As Threatened, 7 Confirmed Dead by phantom(m): 12:54pm On Oct 01, 2010|
these boys don finally strike for abuja.this one go give them mind.
|Re: Mend Strikes As Threatened, 7 Confirmed Dead by Abagworo(m): 12:56pm On Oct 01, 2010|
MEND is making a big mistake.This is more like terrorism.Nigeria is gradually turning to a terrorist country.What happened in Aba and what just happened in Abuja are pure acts of terrorism.
|Re: Mend Strikes As Threatened, 7 Confirmed Dead by Slyr0x(R): 12:57pm On Oct 01, 2010|
iLike this. Its called 'Operation MayHem'.
|Re: Mend Strikes As Threatened, 7 Confirmed Dead by marvix(m): 1:01pm On Oct 01, 2010|
It doesnt make sense, if u hav no reason to celebrate must u stop others who feel that they have a reason to? If we lay hold on anyone who knows jack abt these attacks such person would be tried for treason!!!
|Re: Mend Strikes As Threatened, 7 Confirmed Dead by naso2(m): 1:03pm On Oct 01, 2010|
AIT just reported that it happened at the BAYELSA STATE GOVT HOUSE ABJ. i smell something
|Re: Mend Strikes As Threatened, 7 Confirmed Dead by wesley80(m): 1:05pm On Oct 01, 2010|
I hope U can see the correlation? The pioneers of the hottest Fad in the country - Kidnapping, just introduced something new.
|Re: Mend Strikes As Threatened, 7 Confirmed Dead by playmode(m): 1:06pm On Oct 01, 2010|
My GOD bless MEND, they are real patriotic Nigerians who can see through the farce of a president known as Jonathan. I hope they cause more havoc in Abuja, it is time for us to show support to those who are for good governance. There is nothing to celebrate in Nigeria and i am glad MEND has disgraced that baboon GEJ.
They should try to be more accurate with their targets and avoid hitting innocent civilians. They should target senators, ministers and even the president’s convoy. I will suggest the use of long range snipers,that way they can cause smooth baggage free damage. Maybe then these bastards in power will have the fear of GOD.
|Re: Mend Strikes As Threatened, 7 Confirmed Dead by wesley80(m): 1:11pm On Oct 01, 2010|
U r the biggest dunce that ever walked the face of the earth. CONGRATULATIONS. Your father would be so proud of his wasted seed!
|Re: Mend Strikes As Threatened, 7 Confirmed Dead by playmode(m): 1:13pm On Oct 01, 2010|
Bloody I.d.io.t ,fxcking monkey what have you done to help Nigeria grow? All people like you do is kiss a.z.z.You are still a baby whose brain has not developed to the stage where you will realize that Nigeria will not be free until blood is shed. It is called a revolution nitwit.
|Re: Mend Strikes As Threatened, 7 Confirmed Dead by toluxa1(m): 1:22pm On Oct 01, 2010|
so now we are killing ourselves. this is highly unfortunate.
|Re: Mend Strikes As Threatened, 7 Confirmed Dead by wesley80(m): 1:23pm On Oct 01, 2010|
And U're shedding your blood in Jo'burg while others are shedding theirs in your "beloved" country so u can applaud them on the pages of Nairaland abi? DUNCE!!!!
U think this is one of your Playstation Games? And u think your brain is developed cos u can play Call of Duty!
|Re: Mend Strikes As Threatened, 7 Confirmed Dead by toluxa1(m): 1:26pm On Oct 01, 2010|
this guy called PLAYMODE has the brain of a butterfly. I didnt know foools like you still existed
|Re: Mend Strikes As Threatened, 7 Confirmed Dead by excanny: 1:34pm On Oct 01, 2010|
Nigeria is truly a failing state.
|Re: Mend Strikes As Threatened, 7 Confirmed Dead by playmode(m): 1:35pm On Oct 01, 2010|
The above posts shows that you live in your own bubble.If you don't have a brain,just shut up.This is not kids stuff,this is way above your IQ.
Another malo defending his land of theives.Yes people like me exist and we are called patriots ,dumba.z.z!
|Re: Mend Strikes As Threatened, 7 Confirmed Dead by Bluetooth2: 1:36pm On Oct 01, 2010|
Thugs,thievies,bunkerers,assassins,bastards,useless people who ought to have been killed a long time ago.I hope their brother,jonathan got their message sha.birds of the same feather !
|Re: Mend Strikes As Threatened, 7 Confirmed Dead by playmode(m): 1:43pm On Oct 01, 2010|
People are tired of the lies and the slave masters who are holding Nigeria to ransom in Abuja. This is the beginning of things to come. Nigerians must free themselves from the stranglehold which PDP has put on it. These crooks have no conscience, the only music they dance to the tune of violence.
|Re: Mend Strikes As Threatened, 7 Confirmed Dead by wesley80(m): 1:43pm On Oct 01, 2010|
I see your kind every day walking the streets sometimes completely unclothed from one dumpsite to another scavenging for God knows what. The only difference B/W you and them is that U're on the net displaying the easily recognisable "antics of a 1unatic" while they walk the streets displaying theirs. So until someone picks u and your kind and drops u in an Asylum where u belong I'm gonna do what we always have to do- Ignore u.
Interpol search militant leader’s South African home[size=8pt][/size]
By Elor Nkereuwem
October 1, 2010 05:40AM
Following an alleged intelligence report that there are planned attacks in Abuja by the popular militant group, Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND), during the 50th anniversary celebrations, the Nigerian government allegedly prompted the South African Police to invade the Johannesburg home of Henry Okah, the leader of MEND, in the early hours of yesterday.
Sources who spoke in confidence with NEXT revealed that over 30 South African police officers smashed down Mr Okah’s doors and gained entry into his home at about 3am South African time, with sophisticated weapons in full display as well as about six sniffing dogs, at the instance of the federal government of Nigeria.
“We have been told that the Nigerian government informed the South African police that it is imperative that Mr Okah’s home is searched yesterday because they would find arms and explosives. The federal government has been sending spurious petitions to the South African government about Mr Okah, alleging all kinds of things.
“They said he is exporting arms and explosives from South Africa into Nigeria. But when the South African police invaded his home, they found nothing. Even with their sniffing dogs, they did not find anything,” a source said to NEXT yesterday in Abuja.
Reports have it that the search at Mr Okah’s home, which lasted for about 10 hours, from 3am till about 1pm, yielded neither explosives nor arms.
Ima Niboro, the spokesman for the federal government neither responded to the phone calls nor the text messages sent to him to make enquiries about the role of the presidency in the role.
Federal government’s gripe
Although the Umaru Yar’Adua led government released Mr Okah from a 13-month long detention and granted him amnesty in 2009, unconfirmed reports state that Mr Okah’s name has been placed on the INTERPOL red alert in Nigeria, in connection with arms and drug trafficking.
Emmanuel Ojukwu, the spokesman of the Nigerian Police, has denied any knowledge of the raid. Mr Ojukwu, who told NEXT in Abuja that he is also the spokesman for the INTERPOL in Nigeria, said that he was unaware that Mr Okah’s name had been placed on red alert by the INTERPOL.
“I have no information. I am not aware of that. I speak for the Nigerian police and the INTERPOL and I am not aware of either the invasion or any red alert,” Mr Ojukwu said in a telephone interview.
Mr Okah, in response, said that he was unshaken but that he was upset that his children were frightened by the police officers who tore down their bedroom doors and barged into their rooms with rifles.
“I am not surprised by the federal government’s actions. What I am surprised at is that the South African government would allow themselves to be used by Nigerians. I am, however, not moved by whatever means the government is trying to use to intimidate me. I am constantly fighting against the oppression of my people in the Niger Delta,” Mr Okah said in a statement obtained by NEXT.
|Re: Mend Strikes As Threatened, 7 Confirmed Dead by Bastage: 1:48pm On Oct 01, 2010|
No. People like you are called cowards.
|Re: Mend Strikes As Threatened, 7 Confirmed Dead by MaziUche0(m): 1:49pm On Oct 01, 2010|
Wow this made BBC and CNN!
|Re: Mend Strikes As Threatened, 7 Confirmed Dead by toluxa1(m): 1:50pm On Oct 01, 2010|
The Nigerian Police has just confirmed that death toll is now 8. There were about 3 separate bombings.
|Re: Mend Strikes As Threatened, 7 Confirmed Dead by Chrisbenogor(m): 1:50pm On Oct 01, 2010|
|Re: Mend Strikes As Threatened, 7 Confirmed Dead by comechop(m): 1:51pm On Oct 01, 2010|
What a foolish statement. People like you are one of the continuing problems with Nigeria. Idiot!
You think the fear of GOD is obtained by killing of militants! What an idiot! May God bless mend for killing people? What an Idiot!
And yes, Nigeria is definitely becoming a terrorist state. Kidnapping, now car bombing? CAR BOMBING? What ever happened to my motherland?
God help us all.
|Re: Mend Strikes As Threatened, 7 Confirmed Dead by Osama10(m): 1:51pm On Oct 01, 2010|
This is very serious.
|Re: Mend Strikes As Threatened, 7 Confirmed Dead by comechop(m): 1:52pm On Oct 01, 2010|
Nigeria independence celebration marred by blasts
The cars exploded not far from the parade ground in Abuja
At least seven people have been killed in blasts in Nigeria's capital, Abuja, marring celebrations to mark 50 years since independence from the UK.
Two cars exploded outside the justice ministry after an earlier threat by oil militants to target the festivities.
The explosions were not heard at Eagle Square, where President Goodluck Jonathan was inspecting a guard of honour at the time.
Nigeria is a major oil producer yet most of the population live in poverty.
The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (Mend), a militant group in the oil-rich south, issued a threat on Friday morning saying it intended to bomb the event.
In the message, the group which is demanding a fairer distribution of the country's oil revenues, said that there was "nothing worth celebrating after 50 years of failure".
If Mend are responsible for the blasts, it would be the first time that the group has targeted the capital.
The BBC's Ahmed Idris says he saw bloody footprints at the scene as emergency workers moved bodies into vehicles.
"There are seven bodies, including a senior police officer," a police source told AFP news agency.
Our reporter says there may have been a smaller third explosion within the parade ground, but security staff at the time said it was a gun that had gone off accidentally.
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2016 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 198