Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,146 members, 7,811,229 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:07 AM

Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? (23257 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US / Nigerians In Syria, Are You Back Home?? / For Nigerians In The Diaspora:what Do You Miss About Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by dafuture(f): 10:51pm On Oct 30, 2010
To all those whining and moaning, no be by force. No one is begging you to go to Naija if you don't want to. It is a very serious and personal decision. Are there plenty of reasons NOT to back to Nigeria? of course! No good schools for yourself or your children if you cannot afford those private schools, the huge electricity problem, high crime rates, a conducive and even nurturing environment for corruption ( it is “understood must settle this 1 and that 1 ), lack of adequate healthcare; especially if you are poor, bad roads and other infrastructure causing agonizing traffic and accidents that conclude in thousands of death yearly, institutions of higher education strikes forcing people to take what seems like forever to graduate, university graduates with no job prospects, or worse university graduate with no skill(because of ‘expo’ or they pay or bribe someone to pass them, write their papers for them etc), lack of adequate emergency response, no welfare system (homeless children with no family to care for them, amputees and other disabled with no choice but to become beggars), unrestrained tyranny of those in power, lack of clean drinking water in many areas, several variety of pollution in many areas, complete lawlessness as you cannot even make money off your own products (piracy and no strict enforcement of copyright laws etc), LACK OF SAFETY, tribalism, un -sustainability in many areas of the Country’s welfare, lack of transparency in Government and even Private sector business, cultural disintegration as certain people feel they need to be more westernized and rid themselves of the “old ways”, ethnocentrism as some other people feel threatened by newer or different ways and want to keep their style of doing things as it is the “best ”(haba, instead of mixing the best of both worlds?), lack of acceptance and respect for differences, HATE and HOSTILITY etc (if you make a suggestion that is unpopular not only will other Nigerians tell you how useless the suggestion is dem go cus you, ya mama and papa too), religious extremism (is religion not a personal relationship one has with their God?, na wetin con cosine you?) and the one that irritates me the most! THE COMPLACENTNESSS OF THE MOANING AND WHINING CITIZENS OF NIGERIA.
Did the U.K or Germany , U.S, or even China not build their Country to where it is now? U tin say it just fall on top their lap? Things are not perfect in the U.S in fact there is homelessness, hunger and even extreme poverty in many parts of the Nation (just look at the rural South). And for the people who brought up the issue of mosquitoes, there are mosquitoes here too! In fact where I stay they do city wide mosquito spraying where the spray large areas at the same time (like a few towns and cities) and issue warning so that people stay inside. They don’t go around handing out nets, that is just not sustainable, na how many mosquito nets u go dash people?. At one point in the U.S there was no publicly available electricity, no transportation system, no emergency responders, they even have corruption in their Government (see Watergate scandal) and every so often a new politician is indicted on some charges of fraud. So my fellow Nigerians, I understand that many people have been praying and saying to themselves “e go betta” …However, God no go come down con start to make we Country betta. We have to start making sacrifices in order to contribute to the betterment of our Country one citizen at a time and we must maintain a United front in the process.
U tin say I no fit go skool be doctor? I was a honors pre-med student for 2 years and I never got less than an A- in my program, I could have continued on with this graduated in a few years (well more like 6 -7 lol) and started working to pay off my student loans and mortgage for that big mansion while paying off my BMW car note and taking yearly 2week vacation to somewhere tropical as it is the only time I get to spend with my family out of the 52 weeks there are in a year!(NOT ALL THAT GLITTERS IS GOLD, wahala boku for hea no be small).
ANYWAY, I CHOSE to give that “fantasy” up because I felt that I will be better useful to this world, my Country and myself if I study and get trained in the issues that have always hit close to home and that home for me is and always will be Nigeria. So for those waiting for a ready-made Nigeria, keep waiting o. For those who decide to go to Niaja despite the endless list of aforementioned issues, well done! These are the kind of people we need in Nigeria. You don’t have to go into politics or economic development to change our Country, everybody can contribute in their own way. Nigerians are some of the most highly skilled people in the world, intelligent and very capable to making the west a more livable place, you see them at the top of many agencies in the west…(There are also the not so successful ones but dass anotha gist sha). Why not betta our own Country? The roads need to be designed in a safer and longer lasting manner, nd we get good engineers and architects. We need electricity, workers need to feel safe, we need to pay our public works officials adequately, the schools need stability and competent instructors, we need to improve the general wellbeing of our people, we need safe public transportation, well equipped and well managed safety officials, tougher no-nonsense approach to crimes, especially crimes committed to the public like corruption; regardless of the socio-economic status of the criminal, we need equality, we need to start rejecting the bad from the west and accepting only the goods…At the end of the day we also need YOU, YOU that is complaining and being inconvenienced by some of the bad bad things in Nigeria. We need YOU to take action, to organize like minded folks, regardless of tribe or any insignificant “differences”. We need the collective action of Naija citizens to build up our Country out of this sad third world condition. This problem with Nigeria has taken years and the contribution of millions of people to grow into what it is now; it would be naïve to think that only a hand full of people will fix it. We need to organize by the millions, don’t wait for someone to knock on your door to ask you to join the movement, START a movement!. I am sick of Nigeria’s potential dwindling as we waste our time sitting around complaining, hoping and praying, when are we going to get to the “doing” part? Remember all the successful Nations today fought and are still fighting to be where they are, people took risks and people made STRONG EFFORT to make their Country better. Instead of running to another man’s Country why don’t you better your own so that you and future generations can have a stronger pride in our beloved Nigeria?, Again this is for those who are so inclined, for the Diaspora who have made their homes outside Naija and are not so inclined, it is obviously a matter of personal choice which should be respected.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by atampakoeg(f): 11:15pm On Oct 30, 2010
^^^^^^^^

Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by rotimiland(m): 2:29am On Oct 31, 2010
@ Dafuture,
Thanks for that long but interesting one. God bless you. You spoke objectively. We have no place like home. We will all participate in the Nigerian project. I could not discourage anybody abroad from going home permanently. One just need to understand the terrain very well and be very careful.
I have my projects in Nigeria too. I could move in if I and my organisation get our entitlements by mid next year. It is enough to make a drastic change in Nigeria. An average Nigerian is self-centred, they don't care if others use candles as source of electricity. Once their noice-less generating sets serve them 24/7, Nigeria is okay. This is also reflected in our leaders. What I hate in people is to know the truth and hide it.
I must not say because I live in Banana island, Lagos and i can afford 40million naira car, so Nigeria is okay for all. If I do that I am selfish and wicked.
I must look at the percentage of people living in penury compared to those in affluence, before concluding.
Do you know my organisation was in different law courts in Nigeria and even in America for solid 9YEARS (another Nigerian judicial flaw) with our debtor (Multinational company)? . We thank God we finally won the case late last year.
I have the belief that Nigeria will be great, whether our leaders like it or not.
I reeled out my previous opinions based on the thread topic. It is a personal decision and meant for the time being.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by ladej(m): 9:46am On Oct 31, 2010
rotimiland:

@ Dafuture,
Thanks for that long but interesting one. God bless you. You spoke objectively. We have no place like home. We will all participate in the Nigerian project. I could not discourage anybody abroad from going home permanently. One just need to understand the terrain very well and be very careful.
I have my projects in Nigeria too. I could move in if I and my organisation get our entitlements by mid next year. It is enough to make a drastic change in Nigeria. An average Nigerian is self-centred, they don't care if others use candles as source of electricity. Once their noice-less generating sets serve them 24/7, Nigeria is okay. This is also reflected in our leaders. What I hate in people is to know the truth and hide it.
I must not say because I live in Banana island, Lagos and i can afford 40million naira car, so Nigeria is okay for all. If I do that I am selfish and wicked.
I must look at the percentage of people living in penury compared to those in affluence, before concluding.
Do you know my organisation was in different law courts in Nigeria and even in America for solid 9YEARS (another Nigerian judicial flaw) with our debtor (Multinational company)? . We thank God we finally won the case late last year.
I have the belief that Nigeria will be great, whether our leaders like it or not.
I reeled out my previous opinions based on the thread topic. It is a personal decision and meant for the time being.
well done brother. a balanced mind is an educated one
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by ladej(m): 11:09am On Oct 31, 2010
dafuture:

To all those whining and moaning, no be by force. No one is begging you to go to Naija if you don't want to. It is a very serious and personal decision.  Are there plenty of reasons NOT to back to Nigeria? of course! No good schools for yourself or your children if you cannot afford those private schools, the huge electricity problem, high crime rates, a conducive and even nurturing environment for corruption ( it is “understood must settle this 1 and  that 1 ), lack of adequate healthcare; especially if you are poor, bad roads and other infrastructure causing agonizing traffic and accidents that conclude in thousands of death yearly, institutions of higher education strikes forcing people to take what seems like forever to graduate, university graduates with no job prospects, or worse university graduate with no skill(because of ‘expo’ or they pay or bribe someone to pass them, write their papers for them etc), lack of adequate emergency response, no welfare system (homeless children with no family to care for them, amputees and other disabled with no choice but to become beggars),  unrestrained tyranny of those in power, lack of clean drinking water in many areas, several variety of pollution  in many areas,  complete lawlessness as you cannot even make money off your own products (piracy and no strict enforcement of copyright laws etc),  LACK OF SAFETY, tribalism, un -sustainability in many areas of the Country’s welfare, lack of transparency in Government and even Private sector business, cultural disintegration as certain people feel they need to be more westernized and rid themselves of the “old ways”, ethnocentrism  as some other people feel threatened by newer or different ways and want to keep their style of doing things as it is the “best ”(haba, instead of mixing the best of both worlds?), lack of acceptance and respect for differences, HATE and HOSTILITY etc (if you make a suggestion that is unpopular not only will other Nigerians tell you how useless the suggestion is dem go cus you, ya mama and papa too), religious extremism (is religion not a personal relationship one has with their God?, na wetin con cosine you?) and the one that irritates me the most! THE COMPLACENTNESSS OF THE MOANING AND WHINING CITIZENS OF NIGERIA.
Did the U.K or Germany , U.S, or even China not build their Country to where it is now? U tin say it just fall on top their lap? Things are not perfect in the U.S in fact there is homelessness, hunger and even extreme poverty in many parts of the Nation (just look at the rural South). And for the people who brought up the issue of mosquitoes, there are mosquitoes here too! In fact where I stay they do city wide mosquito spraying where the spray large areas at the same time (like a few towns and cities) and issue warning so that people stay inside. They don’t go around handing out nets, that is just not sustainable, na how many mosquito nets u go dash people?.  At one point in the U.S  there was no publicly available electricity, no transportation system, no emergency responders, they even have corruption in their Government (see Watergate scandal) and every so often a new politician is indicted on some charges of fraud. So my fellow Nigerians, I understand that many people have been praying and saying to themselves “e go betta” …However, God no go come down con start to make we Country betta. We have to start making sacrifices in order to contribute to the betterment of our Country one citizen at a time and we must maintain a United front in the process.
U tin say I no fit go skool be doctor? I was a honors pre-med student for 2 years and I never got less than an A- in my program, I could have continued on with this graduated in a few years (well more like 6 -7 lol) and started working to pay off my student loans and mortgage for that big mansion while paying off my BMW car note and taking yearly 2week vacation to somewhere tropical as it is the only time I get to spend with my family out of the 52 weeks there are in a year!(NOT ALL THAT GLITTERS IS GOLD, wahala boku for hea no be small).
ANYWAY, I CHOSE to give that “fantasy” up because I felt that I will be better useful to this world, my Country and myself if I study and get trained in the issues that have always hit close to home and that home for me is and always will be Nigeria. So for those waiting for a ready-made Nigeria, keep waiting o. For those who decide to go to Niaja despite the endless list of aforementioned issues, well done! These are the kind of people we need in Nigeria. You don’t have to go into politics or economic development to change our Country, everybody can contribute in their own way. Nigerians are some of the most highly skilled people in the world, intelligent and very capable to making the west a more livable place, you see them at the top of many agencies in the west…(There are also the not so successful ones but dass anotha gist sha). Why not betta our own Country? The roads need to be designed in a safer and longer lasting manner, nd we get good engineers and architects.  We need electricity, workers need to feel safe, we need to pay our public works officials adequately,  the schools need stability and competent instructors, we need to improve the general wellbeing of our people, we need safe public transportation, well equipped and well managed safety officials, tougher no-nonsense approach to crimes, especially crimes committed to the public like corruption; regardless of the socio-economic status of the criminal, we need equality, we need to start rejecting the bad from the west and accepting only the goods…At the end of the day we also need YOU, YOU that is complaining and being inconvenienced by some of the bad bad things in Nigeria. We need YOU to take action, to organize like minded folks, regardless of tribe or any insignificant “differences”. We need the collective action of Naija citizens to build up our Country out of this sad third world condition. This problem with Nigeria has taken years and the contribution of millions of people to grow into what it is now; it would be naïve to think that only a hand full of people will fix it. We need to organize by the millions, don’t wait for someone to knock on your door to ask you to join the movement, START a movement!. I am sick of Nigeria’s potential dwindling as we waste our time sitting around complaining, hoping and praying, when are we going to get to the “doing” part? Remember all the successful Nations today fought and are still fighting to be where they are, people took risks and people made STRONG EFFORT to make their Country better. Instead of running to another man’s Country why don’t you better your own so that you and future generations can have a stronger pride in our beloved Nigeria?, Again this is for those who are so inclined, for the Diaspora who have made their homes outside Naija and are not so inclined, it is obviously a matter of personal choice which should be respected.

the part i like is the bolded section. our country is presently unable to cater for those who are unable to cater for themselves, namely the disabled and destitute. no social security. your last section on 'doing', not complaining is on point. bullseye
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by room702(m): 4:37pm On Oct 31, 2010
i would
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by Nobody: 7:37pm On Oct 31, 2010
rotimiland:

@ Dafuture,
I have my projects in Nigeria too. I could move in if I and my organisation get our entitlements by mid next year. It is enough to make a drastic change in Nigeria. An average Nigerian is self-centred, they don't care if others use candles as source of electricity. Once their noice-less generating sets serve them 24/7, Nigeria is okay. This is also reflected in our leaders. What I hate in people is to know the truth and hide it. I must not say because I live in Banana island, Lagos and i can afford 40million naira car, so Nigeria is okay for all. If I do that I am selfish and wicked.
II reeled out my previous opinions based on the thread topic. It is a personal decision and meant for the time being.
I don't know what you are on about there when you talk of making  drastic change in Nigeria. Again of what relevance is that to the topic's question which is very personal.
Who asked you about your value judgements about the rich or what you think they feel about the country?
Did Gani Fawehinmi not come back from London and was he not a highly successful businessman and at the same time an activist with a social conscience??
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by rotimiland(m): 2:00pm On Nov 01, 2010
tensor777:

I don't know what you are on about there when you talk of making  drastic change in Nigeria. Again of what relevance is that to the topic's question which is very personal.
Who asked you about your value judgements about the rich or what you think they feel about the country?
Did Gani Fawehinmi not come back from London and was he not a highly succeessful businessman and at the same time an activist with a social conscience??

@Tesor777
The lines were not meant for you. I have answered you earlier and noticed you could not comprehend well.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by Nobody: 7:04pm On Nov 01, 2010
rotimiland:

@Tesor777
The lines were not meant for you. I have answered you earlier and noticed you could not comprehend well.
I don't care if they were meant for me or not. What I'm saying is that you are giving incoherent,disjointed and rambling answers to a very simple question.
Maybe you should check the posts of the likes of Siena and Ezeuche as examples of clear, comprehensive and logical answers. undecided
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by rotimiland(m): 10:07pm On Nov 01, 2010
tensor777:

I don't care if they were meant for me or not. What I'm saying is that you are giving incoherent,disjointed and rambling answers to a very simple question.
Maybe you should check the posts of the likes of Siena and Ezeuche as examples of clear, comprehensive and logical answers. undecided

@ Tensor777
Sorry, I have forgotten not all nairalanders went to higher institution of learning. Where students are expected to figure things out from tips. Even at that, Atampakoeg understood me.
But wait a minute, you are not the OP, so I am surprised you are so concerned about my opinion. shocked
Let me come down to your level, I meant NO, not coming home for now. Best choice for me. cool
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by VPersie: 5:27am On Nov 02, 2010
I do not understand why you all find this hard to believe. Several people on Nairaland do this. My life may be in danger for exposing this but I will go ahead. Seun is the same person as Kobojunkie and Becomerich. Eze-Uche is the same person as Jarus and Ajanlekoko. Jakumo is the same person as Beaf, Kosovo, Davidylan, and dayokanu. Micellin99 is the same person as Tudor. And so on. I cannot believe that you guys are ignorant of the double personalities on Nairaland. I guess this is why Nigeria lacks the intellectual capital to move forward.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by WAVixen: 8:41am On Nov 02, 2010
VPersie:

I do not understand why you all find this hard to believe. Several people on Nairaland do this. My life may be in danger for exposing this but I will go ahead. Seun is the same person as Kobojunkie and Becomerich. Eze-Uche is the same person as Jarus and Ajanlekoko. Jakumo is the same person as Beaf, Kosovo, Davidylan, and dayokanu. Micellin99 is the same person as Tudor. And so on. I cannot believe that you guys are ignorant of the double personalities on Nairaland. I guess this is why Nigeria lacks the intellectual capital to move forward.

is this true
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by AjanleKoko: 9:25am On Nov 02, 2010
VPersie:

Dude,
and how did you come about this?
Trust me, I am definitely not the same person as Eze-Uche. I'm not even Igbo.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by zeekobrown(m): 11:08pm On Nov 02, 2010
I am certainly moving back to naija. But Its gonna be a gradual process. Alot of people out here just wanna get some form of security like Kpali or inde so that if things do not work out as planned, one can always come back and hustle.I have been greatly motivated by @da future's post. It is absolutely imperative that we must always look for ways to contribute to the development of our great Country. Things are not all rosy out here but believe me, Theres absolutely no place like HOME!
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by VPersie: 1:16am On Nov 03, 2010
@Ajanle-koko

You cannot lie anymore. The wind has blown and the fowl's yansh is opened.

I have access to highly classified information from the database that stores the information. That is all I can said for now. I will be coming with more details as the days go by. This is going to be ground moving. Just wait and see.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by NaijaPosh(f): 10:17pm On Nov 03, 2010
As I seen that the topic has been taken to so many places let me say that as an original poster I pasted it for one to further educate ourselves in the diaspora about moving back home and secondly to see if people are actually interested. It is not by force that you come back to Nigeria as many have stated. This is a service meaning you choose whether or not you actually use it. As I and few people understand you will reap the harvest of big opportunities that others may not see. Its sad to say that so many other countries see our potential before the Nigerians themselves and that is due to lack of patriotism. I dream big and god hard and I know that Nigeria has load of potential. Anyways for those that are interested in gaining more information on current trend in Africa business, governance, and investment everyone is always welcome to my blog and able to comment on your thoughts there.

http://youngproprogramme..com/
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by pontifexmaximus: 11:13pm On Apr 18, 2012
i sincerely think we are missing the point here...home is where a man's heart is...if people are comfortable outside the shores of their fatherland, don't beef.afterall we who are at home in our so called fatherland are not having it easy...let's be honest. people in Nigeria keep bragging about what we are enjoying here but let me ask you,,what are we enjoying? constant power supply? low cost of living? security? fairness, accountability and equity in government? what are we enjoying for God sake..can u compare a Nigerian who earns his pay-cheque by the hour in America with a Nigerian who can barely survive with his/her meager monthly salary and sometimes is not even paid?
let me make this clear, the reason why a lot of people think those abroad are wealthy is because of the ludicrous exchange rate of our currency against foreign ones..this was brought about through corruption.. in Nigeria does the poor man have rights? if u cannot answer that question then you are an Hypocrite! how many of us can say we have not seen how men of the Nigerian Police treat poor citizens of this country simply because they are nobody? yet a rich man would commit the same offence and our law enforcement agents turn a blind eye? i read an article sometime ago about a condemned prisoner in america (sing sing maximum penitentiary) who sued the administrators of the prisoner to the tune of 1million dollars for providing a bed that was too small and guess what? he won! this was a man serving a multiple life sentence for murder..in Nigeria is that possible? when free law abiding citizens don't even have rights in the eyes of the police not to talk of condemned prisoners. we have bad roads, poor healthcare for the poor. our pregnant women even sneak into the U.k for free healthcare till delivery!according to a united nations research, poor nigerians live on below a dollar a day, while our president feeds with over 3million naira a day! i think those of us at home should sit down and devise a means to make this country better and those outside would definitely return, until then, lets stop drinking panadol for another man's headache, cos i think its just beef@ shikena!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by Nobody: 10:12am On Apr 19, 2012
A lot of Nigerians abroad had finished thier education, many doctors,degree ,master holders and suczessful business man&women intending to come and base here in Nig,but due to absolute curruption caused by collous leaders, pple prefer stay in diaspora rather dn coming back home n being frustrated. I think Nigeria political leaders should make a better changes for we Nigerians before pple in diaspora could think of come and base,if our leader dd nt change for better,d rate of curruptn 'll be increasn because nig leader re d one made their pple currupted..as for me,i hv no blame to put on anyone makes it abroad n nt come stay home thou no place lyk hom bt Nig leader shld keep away curruptn first.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Man dies in an accident, a day to his wife’s burial in Uyo / Bus Conveying Mourners To Burial Kills Old Man Riding Bicycle In Borno (Graphic) / Abuse And Collecting Bribes At The Philippines Embassy Gwarimpa, Abuja Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.