Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,097 members, 7,811,080 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:49 PM

Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? (23256 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US / Nigerians In Syria, Are You Back Home?? / For Nigerians In The Diaspora:what Do You Miss About Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by buzugee(m): 12:19am On Oct 28, 2010
kabukabu50:

There is just one respectable Mall in Lagos,period, Bar beach and alpha beach touts waiting to grab your money,No six flags and no water parks,no disney world ,no disney land.Six flags amusement park is ten minutes from my house in Atlanta,There are three lakes within an hours drive,I go biking and fishing inside the national park not far away from my subdivision, I have no idea what you are talking about.There are 6 malls alone in the state of Georgia with hundreds more top class shopping centres.

There are many bike clubs in atlanta and car clubs,if you want to race you can go to Road atlanta or Atlanta Motor Speedway,if you want to cruise heck you can ride across the country if you choose,Miami is just next door,to do all the boating in the world,or you can go down to cumberland Island or Savannah GA,just 3 hours away.

Atlanta has tons of fun stuff to do,and its not even one of the top 10 cities in the USA,plus great weather year round, only seen heavy snow twice in Atlanta, most of the time in summer it is as hot as Naija grin grin grin grin

you miss the point. i dont live to go to malls, or look at fish tanks, or to ride bikes, or to play golf, or to look at beautiful scenery. i am not in this world to admire these things. i dont have a tourist kind of spirit. i dont admire things that do not belong to me. i am not into six flags etc etc. my life revolves around camaraderie and community cohesiveness. building strong bonds in my community. on sunday i want to smell my next door neighbor frying puffpuff, during ileya i want my muslim neighbors to bring me fried meat, during weddings i want to wear my agbada with all my friends and we will sit down and laugh together and eat igbin and drink gulder together, i want to be able to drive to that fresh fish peppersoup joint with my boys and drink guiness, i want to go to that joint where you will point to the fish  that you like, then they will fry it on the spot for you, i want to be able to go to obalende suya with my wife and kids and eat suya, i want to be able to go to my neighbors house un-announced, i want to be able to sit with my boys over a hot plate of peppersoup and suya and watch the football games, i want to see my kids playing with the neighbors kids without worrying about gunshots, i want my wife to feel like she has lots of friends around she can count on and not have white neighbors all around etc etc ya dig ? it is not about structures. it is about the bonds you form in life. get at me when you grow up  grin i dont want to live a life that is dictated by the clock, it is too restrictive and turns people into cold robots,  ya dig it aint about structures for me, i could care less about the scenery so long as it looks halfway decent. ya dig ? camaraderie enriches the soul. you will never get that in america. this is why people shoot each other up and commit suicide all the time. isolation, distrust, i want to be able to sit in my garden or compound with my friends and yab till the wee hours of the morning while eating obalende suya, drinking guinness, smoking weed  grin without the white neighbors calling the cops. my friend ? life is less about structures and more about the bonds you build in life.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by kabukabu50(m): 12:45am On Oct 28, 2010
buzugee:

you miss the point. i dont live to go to malls, or look at fish tanks, or to ride bikes, or to play golf, or to look at beautiful scenery. i am not in this world to admire these things. i dont have a tourist kind of spirit. i dont admire things that do not belong to me. i am not into six flags etc etc. my life revolves around camaraderie and community cohesiveness. building strong bonds in my community. on sunday i want to smell my next door neighbor frying puffpuff, during ileya i want my muslim neighbors to bring me fried meat, during weddings i want to wear my agbada with all my friends and we will sit down and laugh together and eat igbin and drink gulder together, i want to be able to drive to that fresh fish peppersoup joint with my boys and drink guiness, i want to go to that joint where you will point to the fish that you like, then they will fry it on the spot for you, i want to be able to go to obalende suya with my wife and kids and eat suya, i want to be able to go to my neighbors house un-announced, i want to be able to sit with my boys over a hot plate of peppersoup and suya and watch the football games, i want to see my kids playing with the neighbors kids without worrying about gunshots, i want my wife to feel like she has lots of friends around she can count on and not have white neighbors all around etc etc ya dig ? it is not about structures. it is about the bonds you form in life. get at me when you grow up grin i dont want to live a life that is dictated by the clock, it is too restrictive and turns people into cold robots, ya dig it aint about structures for me, i could care less about the scenery so long as it looks halfway decent. ya dig ? camaraderie enriches the soul. you will never get that in america. this is why people shoot each other up and commit suicide all the time. isolation, distrust

But what schools will you send your children to?They strike when they feel like,overcharge for barely educating the kids,how about when you get illWhat hospitals will you take your kids to?
The educational infrastructure in Nigeria is falling apart,they are turning out half baked students who cram all thory with no hands on experience in anything?

If you get wrecked in Nigeria,which hospital will send a helicopter to airlift youNone.

Nigerians die in crashes because they can't get to the hospital soon enough,not because there are no hospitals grin

F
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by buzugee(m): 12:54am On Oct 28, 2010
schools ? there are so many private schools http://privateschoolsinnigeria.com/

one of the best hospitals in the world is in victoria island but here is a list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hospitals_in_Nigeria

the hospitals in victoria island have helicopter services.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by DamiKhojie(m): 1:03am On Oct 28, 2010
buzugee:

you miss the point. i dont live to go to malls, or look at fish tanks, or to ride bikes, or to play golf, or to look at beautiful scenery. i am not in this world to admire these things. i dont have a tourist kind of spirit. i dont admire things that do not belong to me. i am not into six flags etc etc. my life revolves around camaraderie and community cohesiveness. building strong bonds in my community. on sunday i want to smell my next door neighbor frying puffpuff, during ileya i want my muslim neighbors to bring me fried meat, during weddings i want to wear my agbada with all my friends and we will sit down and laugh together and eat igbin and drink gulder together, i want to be able to drive to that fresh fish peppersoup joint with my boys and drink guiness, i want to go to that joint where you will point to the fish  that you like, then they will fry it on the spot for you, i want to be able to go to obalende suya with my wife and kids and eat suya, i want to be able to go to my neighbors house un-announced, i want to be able to sit with my boys over a hot plate of peppersoup and suya and watch the football games, i want to see my kids playing with the neighbors kids without worrying about gunshots, i want my wife to feel like she has lots of friends around she can count on and not have white neighbors all around etc etc ya dig ? it is not about structures. it is about the bonds you form in life. get at me when you grow up  grin i dont want to live a life that is dictated by the clock, it is too restrictive and turns people into cold robots,  ya dig it aint about structures for me, i could care less about the scenery so long as it looks halfway decent. ya dig ? camaraderie enriches the soul. you will never get that in america. this is why people shoot each other up and commit suicide all the time. isolation, distrust, i want to be able to sit in my garden or compound with my friends and yab till the wee hours of the morning while eating obalende suya, drinking guinness, smoking weed  grin without the white neighbors calling the cops. my friend ? life is less about structures and more about the bonds you build in life.

I remember my parents doing all those things when I was growing up. Just like how immigrants carve out their little communities in Nigeria, Nigerians make communities abroad. They still do many of things they did in Nigeria (ex They are still hours late to everything grin). The only thing I would complain about is Suya! That is the only food I'm always craving for when I go to Nigeria they just can't do it like a Mallam can! cry
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by atampakoeg(f): 1:09am On Oct 28, 2010
hmmmmm

Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by atampakoeg(f): 1:10am On Oct 28, 2010
hmmm

Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by buzugee(m): 1:13am On Oct 28, 2010
DamiKhojie:

I remember my parents doing all those things when I was growing up. Just like how immigrants carve out their little communities in Nigeria, Nigerians make communities abroad. They still do many of things they did in Nigeria (ex They are still hours late to everything grin). The only thing I would complain about is Suya! That is the only food I'm always craving for when I go to Nigeria they just can't do it like a Mallam can! cry
doing those things abroad is not the same
1, you gotta keep the noise down or cops will give you citation
2, you cant drive or else you will get locked up for DUI
3, there are no suya joints
4, you will get locked up if you smoke weed  grin in your own compound
5, you have one eye on the clock
etc etc etc .
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by buzugee(m): 1:14am On Oct 28, 2010
yummy suya pics cheesy i am hungry
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by Lehman: 1:14am On Oct 28, 2010
Good questions asked by the poster but it may be too serious for this forum.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by DamiKhojie(m): 1:28am On Oct 28, 2010
@buzugee
1)we've never had a problem with cops telling us to keep the noise down that usually happens when people are starting to get out of control.
2)I rather not risk someone's life and my own if me or someone I know is drunk
4)None of my family or family friends smoke weed
5)Not only are Nigerians always late but they will still stay out until ungodly hours knowing there is work the next morning.

Three is the only thing that is worth mentioning on that list is number 3 grin
Anyway I'm going to stop posting I've derailed this thread.

Suya≠Would you Move to Nigeria tongue
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by ibibiogrl: 1:53am On Oct 28, 2010
complete lie. and there is every possibility that he makes more money in Nigeria than he can ever make abroad. This is usually the case. Just like you want us to believe that not every one who has moved abroad from Nigeria is doing badly, it is very true also that not everyone that moves back to Nigeria will do badly, in fact, there are millions in Nigeria who will never toy with the idea of leaving their jobs and businesses in Nigeria for an un secured future in a strange man's land. It is completely wrong to assume that a return to Nigeria is a return to doomsday.
  Quite Right was born in USA but grew up in Nig! But I go bck visiting so often like 2wice a yr. With improvement in the government Living in & raising a family in Nigeria is Better, cos its less stress & can always retire, but in US could be working ur whole life! Visiting Abroad on holidays especially in the summer is great.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by atampakoeg(f): 1:56am On Oct 28, 2010
Like this.

Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by chika98: 2:01am On Oct 28, 2010
never!
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by atampakoeg(f): 2:07am On Oct 28, 2010
chika98:

never!

Because you can never afford to.

Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by bawomolo(m): 2:22am On Oct 28, 2010
buzugee:

doing those things abroad is not the same
1,  you gotta keep the noise down or cops will give you citation
2, you cant drive or else you will get locked up for DUI
3, there are no suya joints
4, you will get locked up if you smoke weed  grin in your own compound
5, you have one eye on the clock
etc etc etc .

i never knew noise control was a bad thing.  driving drunk or high is definitely a good thing too
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by atampakoeg(f): 2:28am On Oct 28, 2010
dont drunk drive

DDD.

Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by buzugee(m): 2:34am On Oct 28, 2010
bawomolo:

i never knew noise control was a bad thing.  driving drunk or high is definitely a good thing too
you know you can restrict someones humanity to the point where their spirit is stifled and then they one day snap like happens in the west ? africans generally are very sensible when it comes to drinking and driving but it is nice knowing that if you have to drive home after drinking, it is not an issue. noise control is also a bad thing. you cannot tell a grown man how to act in his own home. thats just intrusion and inhumane. in the west you better keep the noise down if you do not want to get hauled off to jail, not a good way to live. home of the free ahhhhh i laugh in spanish
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by kabukabu50(m): 2:39am On Oct 28, 2010
buzugee:

schools ? there are so many private schools http://privateschoolsinnigeria.com/

one of the best hospitals in the world is in victoria island but here is a list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hospitals_in_Nigeria

the hospitals in victoria island have helicopter services.

so if I am wrecked in warri I will wait hrs for helicopter from Lagos?lol
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by buzugee(m): 2:41am On Oct 28, 2010
DamiKhojie:

@buzugee
1)we've never had a problem with cops telling us to keep the noise down that usually happens when people are starting to get out of control.
2)I rather not risk someone's life and my own if me or someone I know is drunk
4)None of my family or family friends smoke weed
5)Not only are Nigerians always late but they will still stay out until ungodly hours knowing there is work the next morning.

Three is the only thing that is worth mentioning on that list is number 3 grin  
Anyway I'm going to stop posting I've derailed this thread.

Suya≠Would you Move to Nigeria tongue
like i said, i have partied in the usa and england and nigeria , it is not even remotely the same. in nigeria their is this peace and rest of mind and joy that acompanys your jollofment. in the west while you are partying one part of your mind is pre-occupied with all your bills you have to pay etc etc. i cant explain it but you are partying but still feeling under pressure in the west.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by bawomolo(m): 2:41am On Oct 28, 2010
buzugee:

you know you can restrict someones humanity to the point where their spirit is stifled and then they one day snap like happens in the west ? africans generally are very sensible when it comes to drinking and driving but it is nice knowing that if you have to drive home after drinking, it is not an issue. noise control is also a bad thing. you cannot tell a grown man how to act in his own home. thats just intrusion and inhumane. in the west you better keep the noise down if you do not want to get hauled off to jail, not a good way to live. home of the free ahhhhh i laugh in spanish

noise ordinances are a necessity.   freedom also means respecting other people's freedom or else you get fined or sent to jail.    drunk driving isn't an issue to you until you are affected by it personally.   maybe we should ask the family of the man killed by princess ibinabo how they feel about drunk driving.  privacy in one's home doesn't give you the right to disturb others.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by buzugee(m): 2:43am On Oct 28, 2010
bawomolo:

noise ordinances are a necessity.   freedom also means respecting other people's freedom or else you get fined or sent to jail.    drunk driving isn't an issue to you until you are affected by it personally.   maybe we should ask the family of the man killed by princess ibinabo how they feel about drunk driving.  privacy in one's home doesn't give you the right to disturb others.    

if you are wrecked in warri, you do not need a copter. use wikipedia to find the closest hospital to you. here it is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hospitals_in_Nigeria

i think i quoted the wrong quote. was tryna quote kabukabu here grin my bad
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by bawomolo(m): 2:44am On Oct 28, 2010
buzugee:

like i said, i have partied in the usa and england and nigeria , it is not even remotely the same. in nigeria their is this peace and rest of mind and joy that acompanys your jollofment. in the west while you are partying one part of your mind is pre-occupied with all your bills you have to pay etc etc. i cant explain it but you are partying but still feeling under pressure in the west.

there are bills in nigeria too. you think the borehole, generator etc come free?
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by buzugee(m): 2:46am On Oct 28, 2010
bawomolo:

there are bills in nigeria too. you think the borehole, generator etc come free?
bills in nigeria are what you call expenses. they are not technically bills. they are stuff you put in the grocery list. if you buy it you have it, if you dont, you dont. nobody harasses you. its totally up to you if you want it or not. ya dig ? there is peace of mind in that
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by bawomolo(m): 2:48am On Oct 28, 2010
buzugee:

bills in nigeria are what you call expenses. they are not technically bills. they are stuff you put in the grocery list. if you buy it you have it, if you dont, you dont. nobody harasses you. its totally up to you if you want it or not. ya dig ? there is peace of mind in that

no clean water or electricity, that doesn't seem like a life of comfort for city folks.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by notjustok: 2:50am On Oct 28, 2010
I have carefully read through this forum page by page the truth is this, outa 50 random Nigerians in the US or UK who are legal 88percent of them wont wanna relocate to Nigeria but if u bring 50 random people in Nigeria and promised them a green card or a work permit in uk 85percent of them would relocate ,

thats the way it is
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by buzugee(m): 2:51am On Oct 28, 2010
bawomolo:

no clean water or electricity, that doesn't seem like a life of comfort for city folks.
you get clean water and electricity but like i said, in nigeria those kinda things are technically expenses. they are not bills. if you want it you pay for it, if you dont, you wont have it. simple system. you dont get hauled off to court and have your credit (the lifeline of american existence) ruined
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by buzugee(m): 2:55am On Oct 28, 2010
bawomolo:

like i said, noise ordinances are intrusive ways of disrupting peoples lives. this is how white people live. white people are trying to impose their way of living on the rest of us. thats all that is. there were no noise ordinances when i was growing up in ikeja and life was great. wasnt even an issue. if you ask me, noise ordinances are a subtle racist tool to keep black people meek. white people are generally meek and stiff upper lipped and it pisses em off to see that other people are not like this. black people are inherently vocal people. you know how many black folk have been hauled off to the county jail for having conversations in their own home ? noise ordinances were enacted in america after the black slaves were released as a way to keep them in check. and the ones who disobeyed were either lynched or incarcerated
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by SeanT21(f): 2:59am On Oct 28, 2010
Home is where you make it. For some Nigerians, America, Canada or Uk are places they consider home.

I was born in Liberia, but America is now my home. I do plan on visiting Liberia but America is where I consider my home.

Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by buzugee(m): 3:06am On Oct 28, 2010
SeanT21:

Home is where you make it. For some Nigerians, America, Canada or Uk are places they consider home.

I was born in Liberia, but America is now my home. I do plan on visiting Liberia but America is where I consider my home.

thats totally understandable. your country is always at war grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by Nobody: 3:07am On Oct 28, 2010
Ekiti State is where I was born, the only home that I know, the only place where I can be free, beautiful environment farms dams rives rocks scenery.

Would I? I def can't wait to, I already got a house in my name at HOME . Just waiting for the constant lights, job guarantee, constant electricity, basic things like laundry, safe garbage dump,etc. I don't want it to get TOO developed tho. I want both; village with farms/vegetation and modern development.

Crossing my fingers.
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by buzugee(m): 3:07am On Oct 28, 2010
[/quote][quote author=notjustok link=topic=538873.msg7029078#msg7029078 date=1288230607]
I have carefully read through this forum page by page the truth is this, outa 50 random Nigerians in the US or UK who are legal 88percent of them wont wanna relocate to Nigeria but if u bring 50 random people in Nigeria and promised them a green card or a work permit in uk 85percent of them would relocate ,

thats the way it is
absolute hogwash. this is 'poor man thinking'
Re: Nigerians In The Diaspora Would You Move Back Home ? by buzugee(m): 3:12am On Oct 28, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Ekiti State is where I was born, the only home that I know, the only place where I can be free, beautiful environment farms dams rives rocks scenery.

Would I? I def can't wait to, I already got a house in my name at HOME . Just waiting for the constant lights, job guarantee, constant electricity, basic things like laundry, safe garbage dump,etc. I don't want it to get TOO developed tho. I want both; village with farms/vegetation and modern development.

Crossing my fingers.
can i come with you ? i am a good gardener grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Man dies in an accident, a day to his wife’s burial in Uyo / Bus Conveying Mourners To Burial Kills Old Man Riding Bicycle In Borno (Graphic) / Abuse And Collecting Bribes At The Philippines Embassy Gwarimpa, Abuja Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.