Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,014 members, 7,817,987 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:00 AM

Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? (8550 Views)

“AIG Mbu’s Critics Rabble Rousers” / Okupe: The Return Of A Rabble Rouser / Saharareporters: Dora Akunyili's Resignation Letter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by Nobody: 11:12pm On Nov 19, 2010
Ujujoan said:

The woman simply represents everything wrong with Nigeria. A great illustration of how power (and the desperate need to remain in it) can destroy a person and blind him/her to her weakness!

From a dedicated medical personnel, sworn to fighting crime in the drug industry to a glorified journalist who's so inept in her duties that she considers ONE apology her biggest achievement!

And then she goes on a wild goose chase with her 'rebranding' idea. I mean what's she trying to say? Nigeria's a 'good' country with a bad name? Someone tell her to wake up from her slumber. Nigeria is a BAD country and 'rebranding' it is not going to change that!

There's no such thing as a ''GOOD COUNTRY'' or a ''BAD COUNTRY''.

If Nigeria is too uncomfortable for you, you can always try Sierra Leone or Uganda.
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by Kobojunkie: 11:34pm On Nov 19, 2010
ROSSIKE:

Ujujoan said:

There's no such thing as a ''GOOD COUNTRY'' or a ''BAD COUNTRY''.

If Nigeria is too uncomfortable for you, you can always try Sierra Leone or Uganda.

Typical @ROSSIKE . . . Bad is not really that bad. . . ROFLMAO!!
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by rhymz(m): 12:10am On Nov 20, 2010
The woman has a point to an extent. Yeah, it is hip and fancy to say I am Naija and all that to exude youthful patriotism and stuff but when bigtime agencies and companies start using it as an official substitute for Nigeria then there is a good reason to nip it in the bud. It seems ridiculous to actually criticize the use of Naija as a substitute because the person that is pointing it out lately has been losing face with the Nigerian populace, especially the youths that used to look up to her as a hope for change. But that is not to say the woman has got no point in her criticism of the use of Naija as a substitute. To even butress her point is the campaign ad of etisalat and some other companies that have subtly substituted Nigeria with Naija. Imagine going for a serious interview and you just keep using Naija in place of Nigeria whenever the issue of the country comes up, it will not only look childish and silly but also sound alien and distant. There should be a fine line between Nigeria and Naija cos the philosophies for their use are quite different, while the former is riddled with all manner of moral albatross and is trying to get up back on her feet, the latter is kicking it back to the mud with very petty, insignificant and trivial misplaced ephemeral identity that is borne out of mere youthful exuberance and nothing deep.
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by ridgeman: 11:37pm On Nov 20, 2010
Aunty Dorothy aka Dora doesn't understand that Rebrand(or whatever she wants to call it) has nothing to do with name. Some of the Asian tiger economies are examples of how you successfully change global perception by simply improving the lives of your citizens,

Aunty Dora, please address your attention to more pressing and urgent matters- history will not be kind to you!!!
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by lastpage: 3:28am On Nov 21, 2010
Okay, now l am getting somewhere!

So, if l understand correctly, "Madam" was saying we should not call Nigeria, "Naija" in "official circles", as in when dealing with corporations?
if thats her angle, l can still align with that since "officially", the country's NAME is Nigeria.

On the other hand, we cant all be mentioning Nigeria in official circles, abi?
If l am talking to my sister now, or my friend and l use the word "Naija", there is nothing wrong in that!

I agree with her that "Corporate bodies" should not use it "officially", its supposed to be a kinda "slang" and you dont use slang in a corporate environment.
Imagine if you go to an interview and they ask you where you're from and you say "Am from Naija"!

You're correct but in that circumstance, you'll sound more like "an unserious Hippy" and that job might just kiss you goodbye.

But l doubt if that is the "biggest" problem we have now in Naija! shocked shocked shocked

I mean to say Nigeria joo! grin grin

What about "PHCN, Bad Roads, empty classes, Armed robbers/Kidnappers/Ritual Killers, Unemployment, e.t.c?
Should "Madam" not pay attention to those (using her Information Minister's platform) than this Nomenclature?

Anyway sha, Madam don try for this Naija, before now.
Not again! angry angry
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by hobat4cash(m): 8:58am On Nov 21, 2010
The problem i have with some people is not criticizing this lady when she errs, besides i don't tolorate ministerial rascality, but my problem with this persons is that they don't commend this lady when she does well they rather keep silent but come baring their fangs when she errs. This to me smacks of double standards. The people know themselves, please one love.
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by texazzpete(m): 3:48pm On Nov 21, 2010
hobat4cash:

The problem i have with some people is not criticizing this lady when she errs, besides i don't tolorate ministerial rascality, but my problem with this persons is that they don't commend this lady when she does well they rather keep silent but come baring their fangs when she errs. This to me smacks of double standards. The people know themselves, please one love.

What has she done well in recent times?
When she wrote that infamous memo, wasn't she excessively praised?

Abeg the woman has nothing to offer as Information minister. All she does is move from one gaffe to another these days.
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by Kobojunkie: 4:23pm On Nov 21, 2010
lastpage:

Okay, now l am getting somewhere!

So, if l understand correctly, "Madam" was saying we should not call Nigeria, "Naija" in "official circles", as in when dealing with corporations?
if thats her angle, l can still align with that since "officially", the country's NAME is Nigeria.

On the other hand, we cant all be mentioning Nigeria in official circles, abi?
If l am talking to my sister now, or my friend and l use the word "Naija", there is nothing wrong in that!

I agree with her that "Corporate bodies" should not use it "officially", its supposed to be a kinda "slang" and you dont use slang in a corporate environment.
Imagine if you go to an interview and they ask you where you're from and you say "Am from Naija"!

What a silly argument for a non-issue.

The situation has NOTHING to do with OFFICIAL CIRCLES. Companies ARE NOT NOW using the Name NAIJA even in OFFICIAL CIRCLES(there are no reports of that even being a case), and so it makes NO SENSE to start a campaign against that which is not even an issue.  A reality"ENTERTAINMENT" show has nothing to do with OFFICIAL CIRCLES.
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by Homonide: 1:15pm On Nov 22, 2010
This is simply a case of misplaced priorities. Prof Dora has not only drifted by joining the mainstream of the People Deceiving People Party, she has also lost the respect she commanded as the head of NAFDAC. SHIKENA!
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by lastpage: 1:39pm On Nov 26, 2010
@Kobojunkie
What a silly argument for a non-issue.

The situation has NOTHING to do with OFFICIAL CIRCLES. Companies ARE NOT NOW using the Name NAIJA even in  OFFICIAL CIRCLES(there are no reports of that even being a case), and so it makes NO SENSE to start a campaign against that which is not even an issue.  A reality"ENTERTAINMENT" show has nothing to do with OFFICIAL CIRCLES.
I use to believe you're one of the very few "GROWN-UPS" still hanging out around here but from your penchant at THROWING INSULTS FIRST, anytime you want to make a rejoinder, l can see that l was really mistaken!
I would not go down the road of GUTTER LANGUAGE with you cos l remember that while growing up, one of the morals instilled in us by our parents is that "what you say and how you say it" is an accurate reflection of your upbringing.

Having said that, "A company like Etisalat, (A CORPORATE BODY) did make an advert in billboards all over the place, promoting its "corporate product and boosting its corporate image". In that advert, the company substituted NIGERIA for NAIJA!

[size=16pt]Now if that is not "official circles", someone's academic pedigree and intellectual capacity needs to be properly investigated![/size] shocked

In my own opinion, Dora Akinyilu has done brilliantly for this country. If a quarter of the noise-makers on this forum can do a quarter of what she's done, Nigeria would have improved a lot better.
The Information Ministry is like putting a square peg in a round hole, it does not fit the personality of someone who is "brash, blunt, straight-shooting and consumed in fervor"! She's just trying to "do something" in that Ministry. I hope she goes back to her first love, the "Health Industry".

Like l said, l am very selective about the caliber of people l take-up issues with, on forums (and this is no disrespect to anyone but just a wise choice concerning "resource" management) since the internet anonymity means "the doves and the chickens" got to roost together!

So, dont expect further rejoinder on this, from me.
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by rhymz(m): 7:05pm On Nov 26, 2010
lastpage:

@Kobojunkie I use to believe you're one of the very few "GROWN-UPS" still hanging out around here but from your penchant at THROWING INSULTS FIRST, anytime you want to make a rejoinder, l can see that l was really mistaken!
I would not go down the road of GUTTER LANGUAGE with you cos l remember that while growing up, one of the morals instilled in us by our parents is that "what you say and how you say it" is an accurate reflection of your upbringing.

Having said that, "A company like Etisalat, (A CORPORATE BODY) did make an advert in billboards all over the place, promoting its "corporate product and boosting its corporate image". In that advert, the company substituted NIGERIA for NAIJA!

[size=16pt]Now if that is not "official circles", someone's academic pedigree and intellectual capacity needs to be properly investigated![/size] shocked

In my own opinion, Dora Akinyilu has done brilliantly for this country. If a quarter of the noise-makers on this forum can do a quarter of what she's done, Nigeria would have improved a lot better.
The Information Ministry is like putting a square peg in a round hole, it does not fit the personality of someone who is "brash, blunt, straight-shooting and consumed in fervor"! She's just trying to "do something" in that Ministry. I hope she goes back to her first love, the "Health Industry".

Like l said, l am very selective about the caliber of people l take-up issues with, on forums (and this is no disrespect to anyone but just a wise choice concerning "resource" management) since the internet anonymity means "the doves and the chickens" got to roost together!

So, dont expect further rejoinder on this, from me.
. . . Your opening statement got me cracking. . Lol. . Seriously, you seem not to know who Kobowhatever is. . . It is a waste of time arguing with her, you know how frustrating it is arguing with a person who only sees her own points regardless of whether they are based on facts or just stupid logic that is in paralell with what is obtainable. Nobody is well-intentioned in her all knowing eyes, everyone is a lier especially if you are Nigerian and live in Nigeria or a government official. Even when she has little knowledge of what she is talking about, she will never let up and learn, as in. . . typical ITK. I bet she is privy to information as to who and who is using Naija as a substitute to Nigeria than the Information Minister herself, there are no reports of any official use? This girl obviously is a Togolese. A church sign in Hong kong has John 3:16 and the Inscription: "it is not everything that google can find" on an ad board by the side of the church, I didn't understand it until I saw that dumb statement. Who does not know big companies now use Naija? "Power of Naija" is a Guiness Theme Song by some Nigerian Artistes sung to cheer up the National theme, how official can it get singing Power of Naija at the world cup, is a reality Talent Tv Series, there is also the very porpular Etisalat 0809ja ad and so on. Yet the all knowing junky is waiting for an official report, perhaps, google disappointed. . Lol. . Now I see the meaning of that inscription on that Church's board. . Lol. .
Some people just like to drown in their deluded sense grandeur. report my ballZ!
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by lastpage: 4:27am On Nov 28, 2010
^^^^Thanks for your observation and comment.
In keeping with my position, l would not make further comment on her response

Cheers.
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by MaJBlige(f): 8:28pm On Dec 16, 2010
Now that she has resigned, will you now speak less about her? Poster?
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by Alxmyr(m): 11:12pm On Dec 16, 2010
Ma_J_Blige:

Now that she has resigned, will you now speak less about her? Poster?

You mean the rabble rouser has resigned
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by MaJBlige(f): 5:56am On Dec 17, 2010
^

Sometimes, or most times, nothing makes sense here on NL.
Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by texazzpete(m): 7:14am On Dec 17, 2010
Alxmyr:

You mean the rabble rouser has resigned

Yep, resigned to fuel her thirst for power grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Photo Of Fake And Real Shekau: Australian Davis Confirms Shekau Is Dead / BREAKING NEWS!!! Tension In Owerri As Local Attack Hausa(photos) / FG To Begin Repairs Of Third Mainland Bridge Expansion Joints Jan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.