Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,807 members, 7,844,619 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 01:53 AM

Nigeria And Biafra Rep. (why Is Nigeria Not Letting Go?) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria And Biafra Rep. (why Is Nigeria Not Letting Go?) (11811 Views)

Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra / On South South And Biafra...a Rivers-man View / Analysis - Buhari Win Means Nigeria, Not Chad, To Lead Boko Haram Fight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria And Biafra Rep. (why Is Nigeria Not Letting Go?) by chyz(m): 6:51am On Nov 17, 2010
excoba101:

is benin and delta (bendel) part of biafra?

I think reading history about Biafra will serve you better. you should google "Biafra history" or google Biafra map.
Re: Nigeria And Biafra Rep. (why Is Nigeria Not Letting Go?) by chyz(m): 6:52am On Nov 17, 2010
bk.babe97y:

Soon, u'll see Chyz for what he really is: A soft spoken, but hard hearted, lying, deceitful, Biafran to the core. Just a typical Ibo man, I guess. . . . .

grin
Re: Nigeria And Biafra Rep. (why Is Nigeria Not Letting Go?) by bkbabe97y(m): 7:00am On Nov 17, 2010
^^^By "typical Ibo man" you do know I mean u represent everything a decent human being shouldnt, right?^^^^
Re: Nigeria And Biafra Rep. (why Is Nigeria Not Letting Go?) by excoba101: 7:01am On Nov 17, 2010
Soon, u'll see Chyz for what he really is: A soft spoken, but hard hearted, lying, deceitful, Biafran to the core. Just a typical Ibo man, I guess. . . . .

LMAO   Just the way this girl guy always say "a  typical ibo man" makes me laugh

@chyz
I am from bendel and you know the pride of the Benin people. Do you think they will let bendel (BENIN/DELTA) go with biafra or form another country of their own? Just asking. Maybe complications like this will cause Nigeria never to divide.  undecided
Re: Nigeria And Biafra Rep. (why Is Nigeria Not Letting Go?) by DapoBear(m): 7:02am On Nov 17, 2010
Igbobuigbo: Let me give you another example. In Iran today, there is this province called Khuzestan. It historically has been an Arab province, not Persian (i.e., the ethnicity there is Arab, not Persian.)
This territory is one of the most productive territories oil-wise in all of Iran. The US as you know doesn't like Iran, and has sponsored in the past a bunch of "Khuzestan liberation fighter" types, dudes who either want Khuzestan to declare independence, or for it to leave and join Iraq.
Yet, there is no chance of this ever happening, while Khuzestan has oil. The territory is just too valuable to the Iranian state. If it were some territory w/o oil and filled with independence-seeking Arabs, they might be more willing to let them go. But since the land has oil, there is no chance of them leaving, regardless of their desires.
(This isn't a completely accurate description of what is happening in Khuzestan and Iran, it is quite a bit more nuanced than this short summary. Research and find out more if you want to learn further.)

Anyway, you sort of see the issue here? Me pointing out obvious facts about how different territories are valued doesn't make me some sort of Igbo-hater, as you guys seem to think I am. These are just the realities on the ground. If somebody wants to declare Biafra and carry Rivers and Delta with them, even if Rivers and Delta sef want to go, there will be wahala. It is bad enough to lop off land from a country, even worse to take their most valuable possessions.

Like I said earlier, in a perfect world, everyone would have the right to self-determination and free association. But this is a very imperfect world. People will hold you against your will in a country with force, if necessary. No amount of shouting down people on the internet is going to change that, really.

And it isn't even just the Nigerian state those who want to carry Rivers and Delta would have to face. Don't you realize that the US and international world wants to maintain the status quo as much as possible? These foreign countries are not going to be friends of a Biafra that includes Rivers and/or Delta. So you have to think very well rather than just castigating, imo.
Re: Nigeria And Biafra Rep. (why Is Nigeria Not Letting Go?) by bkbabe97y(m): 7:09am On Nov 17, 2010
DapoBear:

Don't you realize that the US and international world wants to maintain the status quo as much as possible? These foreign countries are not going to be friends of a Biafra that includes Rivers and/or Delta.

. . . .AND THIS IS THE PART THESE BIAFRAN MONKEYS JUST FAIL TO REALIZE!!!!
Re: Nigeria And Biafra Rep. (why Is Nigeria Not Letting Go?) by DapoBear(m): 7:15am On Nov 17, 2010
bk.babe97y:

. . . .AND THIS IS THE PART THESE BIAFRAN MONKEYS JUST FAIL TO REALIZE!!!!

Heh. This is why whenever I envision Yorubaland, I specifically don't try to include any parts of Delta. I'm not interested in biting off any more than I can chew. Even if all of Delta was Yoruba, only a fool wouldn't realize how much more difficult that would make an independence movement. You do not want to threaten the livelihood of the oil companies and the Western world; do that and you'll be invaded by US Marines. By and large, a hypothetical Yorubaland doesn't really pose a threat.

But if I wanted to declare Yorubaland, carry Delta, carry parts of existing countries like Benin, Togo? That is seeking destruction for not only your movement, but for your people.
Re: Nigeria And Biafra Rep. (why Is Nigeria Not Letting Go?) by excoba101: 7:27am On Nov 17, 2010
Heh. This is why whenever I envision Yorubaland, I specifically don't try to include any parts of Delta. I'm not interested in biting off any more than I can chew. Even if all of Delta was Yoruba, only a fool wouldn't realize how much more difficult that would make an independence movement. You do not want to threaten the livelihood of the oil companies and the Western world; do that and you'll be invaded by US Marines. By and large, a hypothetical Yorubaland doesn't really pose a threat.

But if I wanted to declare Yorubaland, carry Delta, carry parts of existing countries like Benin, Togo? That is seeking destruction for not only your movement, but for your people.

1) Deltans are not yorubas but the Tsekiris in Delta(in Nigeria).
2) Benin Republic & Togo are sovereign states which makes it impossible for Yoruba-land to think that.
Re: Nigeria And Biafra Rep. (why Is Nigeria Not Letting Go?) by Omenani(m): 7:28am On Nov 17, 2010
This topic is quite stale. The same recycled arguments. All I have to say is that people should wait to see what will happen in Southern Sudan. This event will set the stage for movements all across the continent and cause a domino effect. Mark my words.

FYI, concerning the Biafra issue, the only group that would pose a problem for the actuality of Biafra within the East is the Ijaws. A Biafra would never include the Itsekiri. I don't think it would include the Urhobo and Isoko of Delta either. And I wish people would stop equating Biafra as an Igbo affair. Many other groups gave up their lives in defense of Biafra. Especially the Ibibio and Ogoni. They fought like lions.
Re: Nigeria And Biafra Rep. (why Is Nigeria Not Letting Go?) by DapoBear(m): 7:33am On Nov 17, 2010
excoba101:

1) Deltans are not yorubas but the Tsekiris in Delta(in Nigeria).
2) Benin Republic & Togo are sovereign states which makes it impossible for Yoruba-land to think that.

I agree. But point #2 should tell you that ethnicity alone is probably not going to determine borders.
Re: Nigeria And Biafra Rep. (why Is Nigeria Not Letting Go?) by chyz(m): 7:33am On Nov 17, 2010
excoba101:

LMAO   Just the way this girl guy always say "a  typical ibo man" makes me laugh

@chyz
I am from bendel and you know the pride of the Benin people. Do you think they will let bendel (BENIN/DELTA) go with biafra or form another country of their own? Just asking. Maybe complications like this will cause Nigeria never to divide.  undecided

Don't mind Bk.Babe by his words i know he doesn't hate igbo or is jealous like the other dudes.

As for  Bendel I'll talk about then in terms of Edo State and Delta State. In Edo there are igbos call the Igbanke clan who are apart of the Anioma Igbos in Delta state, they will go along with biafra. Now as for non-Igbos in Delta and Edo, that is up to the people of those states and the pioneers of the forming of Biafra as a country. It's not by force. Biafra will more than likely be broken up into provinces where each Nation Igbo,Ibiobio,Ijaw, and others that decide to join will be able to do their own thing.
Re: Nigeria And Biafra Rep. (why Is Nigeria Not Letting Go?) by excoba101: 7:36am On Nov 17, 2010
I agree. But point #2 should tell you that ethnicity alone is probably not going to determine borders.

BENIN CITY AND DELTA HAS ALWAYS BEEN A CONFUSION CENTER BETWEEN NIGERIA AND BIAFRA. ALL HAIL THE WISDOM OF LUGARD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Western_Region,_Nigeria

The Mid-Western Region was a division of Nigeria from 1963 to 1991, from 1976 being known as the Bendel state.

It was formed in June 1963 from Benin and Delta provinces of the Western Region, and its capital was Benin City. It was renamed a province in 1966, and in 1967 when the other provinces were split up into several states, it remained territorially intact, becoming a state.

During the Nigerian Civil War, the Biafran forces invaded the new Mid-Western state, en route to Lagos, in an attempt to force a quick end to the war. While under Biafran occupation, the state was declared as the "Republic of Benin" as Nigerian forces were to retake the region. The republic collapsed a day after the declaration as Nigerian troops overtook Benin City.

In 1976 it lost Ughelli to the new Rivers state and was renamed Bendel. This was subdivided into Delta and Edo in 1991.
Re: Nigeria And Biafra Rep. (why Is Nigeria Not Letting Go?) by excoba101: 7:46am On Nov 17, 2010
Don't mind Bk.Babe by his words i know he doesn't hate igbo or is jealous like the other dudes.

As for Bendel I'll talk about then in terms of Edo State and Delta State. In Edo there are igbos call the Igbanke clan who are apart of the Anioma Igbos in Delta state, they will go along with biafra. Now as for non-Igbos in Delta and Edo, that is up to the people of those states and the pioneers of the forming of Biafra as a country. It's not by force. Biafra will more than likely be broken up into provinces where each Nation Igbo,Ibiobio,Ijaw, and others that decide to join will be able to do their own thing.

Are you a politician?
Re: Nigeria And Biafra Rep. (why Is Nigeria Not Letting Go?) by bkbabe97y(m): 8:02am On Nov 17, 2010
chyz:

Oh, dont get it twisted I do hate, and am jealous, of the Ibos!!!

Its raining here right now, guess who I blame?

My neighbor keeps stunting in his Phantom guess why I'm mad that I dont have a Rolls as well. . . . . .
Re: Nigeria And Biafra Rep. (why Is Nigeria Not Letting Go?) by chyz(m): 8:04am On Nov 17, 2010
excoba101:

Are you a politician?

why do you ask?
Re: Nigeria And Biafra Rep. (why Is Nigeria Not Letting Go?) by excoba101: 8:08am On Nov 17, 2010
Biafra might be a cause for alarm and invites in UN/US army just the way Islamic vs Kurd in Iraq, Israeli Jews and Palestine in Israel etc.
Re: Nigeria And Biafra Rep. (why Is Nigeria Not Letting Go?) by chyz(m): 8:16am On Nov 17, 2010
excoba101:

Biafra might be a cause for alarm and invites in UN/US army just the way Islamic vs Kurd in Iraq, Israeli Jews and Palestine in Israel etc.

Of course if there's one thing Africans as a whole don't respect or understand it's diplomacy. Most things are done off of childish emotions and by force. The US has already planned for the separation of nigeria.It has instituted Africom in nigeria, i.e. the oil producing areas so it isnt going to be long before their army colonizes us sets up base in the oil producing area. So when the country does go into mayhem there will not be a repeat of 1967. The US and UN will not support or supply the Islamic north with their fight against regions going their own ways.
Re: Nigeria And Biafra Rep. (why Is Nigeria Not Letting Go?) by excoba101: 8:21am On Nov 17, 2010
Of course if there's one thing Africans as a whole don't respect or understand it's diplomacy. Most things are done off of childish emotions and by force. The US has already planned for the separation of nigeria.It has instituted Africom in nigeria, i.e. the oil producing areas so it isnt going to be long before their army colonizes us sets up base in the oil producing area. So when the country does go into mayhem there will not be a repeat of 1967. The US and UN will not support or supply the Islamic north with their fight against regions going their own ways.

What do you think of this?
Re: Nigeria And Biafra Rep. (why Is Nigeria Not Letting Go?) by DapoBear(m): 8:22am On Nov 17, 2010
Just because the US and UN would not support the north doesn't mean they wouldn't seek to control Delta and Rivers themselves. And if Biafra doesn't get Rivers at least, it doesn't really sound like a very interesting nation to live in. Landlocked, overpopulated, not enough farmland, no oil wealth.  Not the brightest future, imo
Re: Nigeria And Biafra Rep. (why Is Nigeria Not Letting Go?) by chyz(m): 8:32am On Nov 17, 2010
excoba101:

What do you think of this?

I'm totally against the recolonization of any African territory. Africom is a bad occurrence. Look at places like saudi arabia and kuwait and various other countries where the US has set up permanent military bases,its terrible. We Africans have gone through so much that we deserve to have freedom more that anybody else on this planet or just as much.If africans would be loving and act like brothers instead of enemies then Africom would not be a matter. However, its like if thats what it takes to separate from nigeria then so be it. We and manipulate our way out of the africom system as the word is changing.
Re: Nigeria And Biafra Rep. (why Is Nigeria Not Letting Go?) by chyz(m): 8:35am On Nov 17, 2010
DapoBear:

Just because the US and UN would not support the north doesn't mean they wouldn't seek to control Delta and Rivers themselves. And if Biafra doesn't get Rivers at least, it doesn't really sound like a very interesting nation to live in. Landlocked, overpopulated, not enough farmland, no oil wealth.  Not the brightest future, imo

So be it. Nothing you or i can do to stop Biafra from actualizing. Those who are wanting to join will do so its already in litigation with the international court as we speak. It's a done deal.
Re: Nigeria And Biafra Rep. (why Is Nigeria Not Letting Go?) by excoba101: 8:38am On Nov 17, 2010
So be it. Nothing you or i can do to stop Biafra from actualizing. Those who are wanting to join will do so its already in litigation with the international court as we speak. It's a done deal.

The reason i asked if you are a politician is that you seem to talk like you have access to a reliable source. Just like what you said above.
Re: Nigeria And Biafra Rep. (why Is Nigeria Not Letting Go?) by chyz(m): 8:44am On Nov 17, 2010
excoba101:

The reason i asked if you are a politician is that you seem to talk like you have access to a reliable source. Just like what you said above.

That is why I've told these people that verbally insult Ndigbo to watch their mouths. They really don't know what is going on and how much of the negative things they are saying is being used.That's why I laugh at them. It's not about talk, discussion on NL and no action.
Re: Nigeria And Biafra Rep. (why Is Nigeria Not Letting Go?) by DapoBear(m): 9:31am On Nov 17, 2010
Litigation with international courts? Surely then you can provide a reference
Re: Nigeria And Biafra Rep. (why Is Nigeria Not Letting Go?) by Nobody: 9:37am On Nov 17, 2010
DapoBear:

[list]

Look, personally I want Kwara and Western Kogi to join. But it isn't something I can do unilaterally, is it? First of all, the people themselves have a significant say. If I want them to join but they don't want to, I cannot force them. Second, unfortunately, the region they are currently considered a part of also has a say. Realistically, Kwara has some of the best farmland in all of Nigeria. So it isn't a territory I'd want to give up as a Northerner with at least negotiating (or possibly fighting) for.
Sorta see what I'm saying here? There are least three parties of interest here; I cannot completely ignore the interests of the two other stakeholders (namely, the citizens of those states and the region they are currently considered a part of) and act unilaterally.

i will agree with the bolded,
this unilateral action, i can say, was one of the reasons why biafra lost the war, an action that was poorly, understood, gauged and executed, thereby causing untold hardship and death to millions of people. it not only speak of arrogance and carelessness but selfishness to the highest, and when people continue to speak unilaterally for example like this gentle man below

Omenani:

FYI, concerning the Biafra issue, the only group that would pose a problem for the actuality of Biafra within the East is the Ijaws. A Biafra would never include the Itsekiri. I don't think it would include the Urhobo and Isoko of Delta either. And I wish people would stop equating Biafra as an Igbo affair. Many other groups gave up their lives in defense of Biafra. Especially the Ibibio and Ogoni. They fought like lions.

it goes to show they have not learn t from past mistakes or probably never did much study to know about this mistakes.
Re: Nigeria And Biafra Rep. (why Is Nigeria Not Letting Go?) by DapoBear(m): 11:34am On Nov 17, 2010
Nope, people truly do not learn from the past. History seems to repeat itself over and over again, people making the same mistakes every generation. It is kind of sad, really.
Re: Nigeria And Biafra Rep. (why Is Nigeria Not Letting Go?) by abadaba(m): 12:45pm On Nov 17, 2010
excoba101:

is benin and delta (bendel) part of biafra?
Delta North (igbo) is an integral part of Biafra. Igbanke in Edo state is also Igbo. Surely they will go with their brothers.
Re: Nigeria And Biafra Rep. (why Is Nigeria Not Letting Go?) by revomind(m): 6:30pm On Nov 17, 2010
@Dapobear.
Bro, I understand your position on self-determination and all that. I understand also that you are proudly Yoruba. I am too. My advice to you is to try to stay off threads like this that has to do with other ethnicities especially when you don't have anything close to a firm grasp of the issue being discussed.

Many Yoruba folks here go about making themselves look silly and out of depth. Y'all should learn to steer clear of this kinda threads. The only guy ,at least from the top of my head now,who gives a good account of himself and the Yoruba is KATSUMOTO and it has to be noted that he only comments so as to correct some wrong impressions and to prevent history from being rewritten or manipulated by some NL members.

Personally, I dont mind the country split into three or four. So everyone should be fine. All I can't vouch for is WAR. If the country stays, cool. Lets forget internet warriors, there a lotta people from ALL PARTS who love the country as it is.
Re: Nigeria And Biafra Rep. (why Is Nigeria Not Letting Go?) by bkbabe97y(m): 8:51pm On Nov 17, 2010
chyz:

Lol. U still dont get it, do u?!

chyz:

You still dont get it. How long have you lived in the West?

DapoBear:

Litigation with international courts? Surely then you can provide a reference

Hahahahaha. GOOD ONE!!!

DapoBear:

Ok, u clearly "get it".

DapoBear:

Nope, people truly do not learn from the past. History seems to repeat itself over and over again, people making the same mistakes every generation. It is kind of sad, really.

Ok, uve said it all. I'm out!
Re: Nigeria And Biafra Rep. (why Is Nigeria Not Letting Go?) by Nobody: 8:54pm On Nov 17, 2010
personally i think they should go if they want to, But u all need to remember this, there was nothing like south south then and if BIAFRA should go now i am sure south south wont follow coz they are not Igbo, with this said, NO igbo leader will want to go without south south(oil). EYES werent open in the 70s,
Re: Nigeria And Biafra Rep. (why Is Nigeria Not Letting Go?) by abadaba(m): 9:35pm On Nov 17, 2010
Βουκέφαλος:

personally i think they should go if they want to, But u all need to remember this, there was nothing like south south then and if BIAFRA should go now i am sure south south wont follow coz they are not Igbo, with this said, NO igbo leader will want to go without south south(oil). EYES werent open in the 70s,
What a brainless post from you and the poster before you. You talk of South south as if there is no Igbo in the south south. Iam an Igbo from the south south, so get that in your empty skulls. If the Igbo goes, we the Igbo in the souh south south will not go with the Hausas or the Yorubas but with our Igbo kins.
Re: Nigeria And Biafra Rep. (why Is Nigeria Not Letting Go?) by Onlytruth(m): 10:51pm On Nov 17, 2010
I'm really very proud of my south south brothers abadaba , chyz and dawgpound!
Y'all have put all these liars in their proper place.  cool

They come here yapping that the US won't support Biafra. Do they think the US love Nigeria AS IS?
With all the evil oozing out of it: 419, drug pushing, islamic terrorism? 

If anything, the west have had 40 years to really evaluate Nigeria.

If they even need a reliable ally in that part of Africa, do you think Biafra won't be that partner?

Biafra will be like Israel - a TOP US ALLY.  cool cool cool That is what Biafra will be! cool

Gerrit folks!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Akwa Ibom Nnyin Ayaya - O! / Masari Tells Katsina Residents To Arm Themselves Against Bandits / Ortom Doesn’t Have The Electoral Mileage To Distort Atiku’s Victory - Kazeem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.