Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,270 members, 7,811,788 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:34 PM

Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra (52872 Views)

History Of Tribal Wars Between Igbo And Yoruba In Nigeria Since 1946 (part One) / #soundoff: The Glaring Difference Between Stella Oduah And Babatunde Fashola / On South South And Biafra...a Rivers-man View (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by Afam4eva(m): 9:52pm On Dec 28, 2015
I've always maintained that Nigerians have to be the most illiterate people in the world and it rings more true foe people who are supposedly educated. A look at the vibrant and harcore Pro Biafrans and the opposisinf Pro Nigeria, you will discover the penchant by these people to mistake both terms. For the sake of those illiterate, let me explain the difference between these two people and how they intertwine.

Igbo is an ethnic group based in West Africa, chiefly in southeastern Nigeria (Wikipedia). This means that even though Igbos are mainly in the South East, there also Igbos outside the South-East in Northern parts of Delta state, some parts of Rivers state and the Ndoki areas of Akwa Ibom state.

Biafra, officially the Republic of Biafra, is often referred to as a secessionist state in then southeastern Nigeria that declared its independence from 30 May 1967 to 15 January 1970, taking its name from the Bight of Biafra (the Atlantic bay to its south).

Furthermore, the secessionist state which was declared by the defacto leader, Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu included people of the old eastern region (Igbos, Efiks, Ijaws etc) by virtue of the fact that these groups found themselves in that region and he happened to be the governor. That is why the Igbos across the Niger in places like Asaba and the likes were not part of the secessionist state because they were in the Mid west region.

So, as it stands today, Biafra which may come in different pseudonym is a movement of people who are mostly Igbos but not supported by majority of Igbo people and as such should not be classified as an Igbo movement but can be classified as a group of Igbo people. It is wrong and silly to assume that every Igbo person supports Biafra or use the term interchangeably with Igbo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_people

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biafra

87 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by cheruv: 10:00pm On Dec 28, 2015
Lekwa ala Igbo

11 Likes

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by asorocker: 10:01pm On Dec 28, 2015
I don't really think igbos need biafra while not sounding sarcastic I also don't think igbos need Nigeria, it is rather Nigeria that needs the igbos by all means.

84 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by Afam4eva(m): 10:03pm On Dec 28, 2015
asorocker:
I don't really think igbos need biafra
This one cannot even get an education as simple as it is.

80 Likes 1 Share

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by kernel504(m): 10:08pm On Dec 28, 2015
OP... CAN YOU TELL ME ONE COUNTRY WHERE ALL HER CITIZENS BELIEVES IN ALL HER IDEALOGIES OR COUNTRY WHERE EVERYBOBY SHARE SAME VIEW ?

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by asorocker: 10:08pm On Dec 28, 2015
Afam4eva:

This one cannot even get an education as simple as it is.
If you checked very well, I didn't quote you, I am only made an independent comment.
Do I need to be educated by you to make an independent contribution in a thread?

124 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by hummerwise(m): 10:10pm On Dec 28, 2015
asorocker:

If you checked very well, I didn't quote you, I am only made an independent comment.
Do I need to be educated by you to make an independent contribution in a thread?
and you still seem to be proving the guy right with the above

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by weyabblog: 10:10pm On Dec 28, 2015
viewing----weyabblog
Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by asorocker: 10:12pm On Dec 28, 2015
cheruv:
Lekwa ala Igbo

What of the Igbo areas in benue, cross rivers and parts of opobo, Bonny are they no longer genuinely part of igbo land

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by asorocker: 10:13pm On Dec 28, 2015
hummerwise:

and you still seem to be proving the op right with the above
I will not dignify you with a reply.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by phunbyt(m): 10:13pm On Dec 28, 2015
Op your head is very correct. You are a good child of ur mummy, infact child is an understatement OP YOU ARE A GOOD CHILDREN

56 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by APCcrimesHD: 10:13pm On Dec 28, 2015
Why not give them referendum and see where they lie

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by hummerwise(m): 10:14pm On Dec 28, 2015
asorocker:

I will not dignify you with a reply.
okay sir

2 Likes

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by Afam4eva(m): 10:15pm On Dec 28, 2015
APCcrimesHD:
Why not give them referendum and see where they lie
A referendum suffices when majority of the residents of the place in question are in support of the secessionist state and it will be their elected leaders that will do the talking and not some random folk.

62 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by clevadani: 10:16pm On Dec 28, 2015
True talk op.
Though I have ntin against those agitatin for biafra, most of my friends who are igbos don't care if biafra exist.
Its suprising that while Europe is clamouring for more integration, africa is looking for more separation.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by Udmaster(m): 10:16pm On Dec 28, 2015
Nice Thread.
I wrote a similiar thread about this Ignorance.
IGBOS and the South South minorities.
https://www.nairaland.com/2825976/igbos-south-south-minorities

3 Likes

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by Afam4eva(m): 10:18pm On Dec 28, 2015
clevadani:
True talk op.
Though I have ntin against those agitatin for biafra, most of my friends who are igbos don't care if biafra exist.
Its suprising that while Europe is clamouring for more integration, africa is looking for more separation.
Tell that to Catalonia and the Basque region of Spain.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by APCcrimesHD: 10:22pm On Dec 28, 2015
Afam4eva:

A referendum suffices when majority of the residents of the place in question are in support of the secessionist state and it will be their elected leaders that will do the talking and not some random folk.

So why do you want "one Nigeria"?

4 Likes

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by APCcrimesHD: 10:24pm On Dec 28, 2015
Afam4eva:

But since the elders don't want to yield to the voice of the people because of money from Abuja?

4 Likes

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by Lajet: 10:30pm On Dec 28, 2015
So, as it stands today, Biafra which may come in different pseudonym is a movement of people who are mostly Igbos but not supported by majority of Igbo people and as such should not be classified as an Igbo movement but can be classified as a group of Igbo people. It is wrong and silly to assume that every Igbo person supports Biafra or use the term interchangeably with Igbo.

How did you know that majority of Igbos don't support Biafra. can you show me any person in South East that can mobilise a huge number of supporters like Nnamdi Kanu without paying them any money . am not a supporter of IPOB but what i found out that majority of you people that always said that majority of igbos don't support biafra are afraid because the don't want to lose there job when biafra become a country . because we all know that if the conduct a referendum now in South East 90% to 95% of people living in South East we vote yes for Biafra while igbos living in any other states in Nigeria we be between 50/50

85 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by Nobody: 10:31pm On Dec 28, 2015
OP...where is Cross River and Akwa Ibom in the map?

4 Likes

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by Afam4eva(m): 10:31pm On Dec 28, 2015
APCcrimesHD:

So why do you want "one Nigeria"?
So, because of my comment, you already know what i want or don't want.

3 Likes

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by seunny4lif(m): 11:00pm On Dec 28, 2015
grin
Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by DerideGull(m): 11:08pm On Dec 28, 2015
Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by KanwuliaJara: 11:28pm On Dec 28, 2015
No more BIAFRAN CRAP!
Moderator, abeg respect yasef!
Mtcheeeeeeeew!!!! angry

5 Likes

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by aljharem(m): 11:33pm On Dec 28, 2015
KanwuliaJara:
No more BIAFRAN CRAP!
Moderator, abeg respect yasef!
Mtcheeeeeeeew!!!! angry

we have missed you !!!!

1 Like

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by EzePromoe: 12:08am On Dec 29, 2015
Afam4eva:
I've always maintained that Nigerians have to be the most illiterate people in the world and it rings more true foe people who are supposedly educated. A look at the vibrant and harcore Pro Biafrans and the opposisinf Pro Nigeria, you will discover the penchant by these people to mistake both terms. For the sake of those illiterate, let me explain the difference between these two people and how they intertwine.

Igbo is an ethnic group based in West Africa, chiefly in southeastern Nigeria (Wikipedia). This means that even though Igbos are mainly in the South East, there also Igbos outside the South-East in Northern parts of Delta state, some parts of Rivers state and the Ndoki areas of Akwa Ibom state.

Biafra, officially the Republic of Biafra, is often referred to as a secessionist state in then southeastern Nigeria that declared its independence from 30 May 1967 to 15 January 1970, taking its name from the Bight of Biafra (the Atlantic bay to its south).

Furthermore, the secessionist state which was declared by the defacto leader, Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu included people of the old eastern region (Igbos, Efiks, Ijaws etc) by virtue of the fact that these groups found themselves in that region and he happened to be the governor. That is why the Igbos across the Niger in places like Asaba and the likes were not part of the secessionist state because they were in the Mid west region.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_people

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biafra
You've said it all. Many Nigerians (both pro-Biafra and pro-Nigeria) are so daft. Some of them are just taking advantage of their hate for the Igbos to tonguelash the Igbos under the guise of defending Nigeria's unity against Biafra. The truth is that not all Igbos are Biafrans and not all Biafrans are Igbos. Period!

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by KanwuliaJara: 12:17am On Dec 29, 2015
aljharem:

we have missed you !!!!

UnbEHlievaBOOOOO!!!! shocked
Despite all attempts by the PAWAS and SUPA PAWAS to extinguish my nAYkyora and supernAYkyora lives? wink

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:17am On Dec 29, 2015
@OP you need to remove your mask. Ijaw and ALL ethnic nationalities in Rivers, Bayelsa, Cross river and Akwa Ibom are NOT and has never been Biafrans.

2. When Ojukwu declared is Biafra, he was Governor of Eastern state that exclude Rivers, Bayelsa, Akwa Ibom and Cross river. Old Rivers and Old Cross river were already created by Gowon.

3. We(SS) fought against Biafra because it was Ojukwu and his majority Igbo backers project.

4. Biaffra is an Igbo agenda though I may agree that not all Igbos are pro-Biafrans, but majority are. #Fact

This is thrash....

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by DerideGull(m): 12:35am On Dec 29, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
@OP you need to remove your mask. Ijaw and ALL ethnic nationalities in Rivers, Bayelsa, Cross river and Akwa Ibom are NOT and has never been Biafrans.

2. When Ojukwu declared is Biafra, he was Governor of Eastern state that exclude Rivers, Bayelsa, Akwa Ibom and Cross river. Old Rivers and Old Cross river were already created by Gowon.

3. We(SS) fought against Biafra because it was Ojukwu and his majority Igbo backers project.

4. Biaffra is an Igbo agenda though I may agree that not all Igbos are pro-Biafrans, but majority are. #Fact

This is thrash....

Per the bolded, the above is a trash as it comes. Gowon does not have the right to divide Nigeria without the consent of eastern region talk less abrogating eastern region of Nigeria. If he had such powers, there should not have been a civil war. Again, you are wastefully educated.

20 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Shehu Shagari's 1983 Election Campaign Advert (Throwback Photo) / Anti-Buhari Protesters Slap Nigerian Government Official In US (Photos, Video) / How Would You Rate PMB On His Maiden Media Chat?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.